Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 787 Dreamliner to Southwest?

stfoley23
11-23-2017, 08:03 AM
So at the flight school I work at we have a Southwest captain that also works as a CFI for us on the side. We asked him about Southwest expanding their fleet and he responded with "You heard it here first, Southwest will start flying the 787 to Europe." Anyone else in the company familiar with this?

at6d
11-23-2017, 08:15 AM
I was told that SWA is looking for a larger aircraft, and that several check airmen have recently been typed in various aircraft to start the evaluation process with the intention of expanding to South America. Or St. Louis. Canít remember.

SlipKid
11-23-2017, 08:16 AM
So at the flight school I work at we have a Southwest captain that also works as a CFI for us on the side. We asked him about Southwest expanding their fleet and he responded with "You heard it here first, Southwest will start flying the 787 to Europe." Anyone else in the company familiar with this?

True, but it's only gonna happen after Norwegian buys us...... :eek:

TommyDevito
11-23-2017, 08:20 AM
SWA just has to convince Boeing to put the 737 cockpit into the 787 and get the FAA to give them a common type. :rolleyes:

WHACKMASTER
11-23-2017, 08:29 AM
We had the deal wrapped up with Boeing but it fell through due to them being unwilling to remove the autothrottles. From a reliable source, btw.

e6bpilot
11-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Sounds like the training center mafia has infiltrated your flight school.
As long as there is money to be made in the 737, Gary and company will not be flying anything else. You heard it here first.
Yes, I was shown a training center sim scheduling program that had 787 as one of the sim options, but kinda like Sri Lanka being an option in our nonrev app, I donít put any credence in it.
Ask yourself this - what does southwest have to gain by buying a super expensive plane and putting it in a market that is already being fought over by the Euro low cost carriers and legacies on the same airplane? Sounds like a recipe for losing money.

RJSAviator76
11-23-2017, 08:35 AM
True, but it's only gonna happen after Norwegian buys us...... :eek:

There you go Slip... you'll finish your career as a widebody captain. ;):D

Happy Turkey Day!

RadarColor
11-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I heard a certain SWAPA president say in 2007 that SWA would be flying 787s when they were introduced.

The associated costs and logistics is far more expensive than the jet itself. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

SlipKid
11-23-2017, 09:50 AM
There you go Slip... you'll finish your career as a widebody captain. ;):D

Happy Turkey Day!

Maybe we'll even get wide body pay!

What am I saying, we'll vote yes to fly the shiny jet for the same rate......

Happy Thanksgiving to you to brother!

rickair7777
11-24-2017, 12:20 PM
We had the deal wrapped up with Boeing but it fell through due to them being unwilling to remove the autothrottles. From a reliable source, btw.

Why remove them? Don't have to turn them on if you don't want to... I assume.

e6bpilot
11-24-2017, 02:07 PM

The cost of printer removal, VNAV dumbdown, autoland decertification, window shade removal, drink cart deactivation, and removing the mattresses in the crew rest area was deemed too exorbitant.

David Puddy
11-24-2017, 02:53 PM
I thought there was potential interest in the proposed twin-aisle 797 - but only if Boeing preserved the 737 overhead panel!!! ;)

WHACKMASTER
11-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Why remove them? Don't have to turn them on if you don't want to... I assume.

Why remove them? To sell them on EBay.......duh.

RJSAviator76
11-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Why remove them? To sell them on EBay.......duh.

Thanks Whack! I needed a new keyboard...

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1