Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Aviationluver
11-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I have an interview coming up with an outfit on the East Coast. This company told me they expect me to pay for my interview travel expenses (airfare, lodging, etc.). The trip should end up costing me about $400.

Is this considered unprofessional in your view? If so, what would you do?

I've worked in a few different industries and this is the first time I've ever had a company ask me to pay for items related to the interview.

Thanks.

TommyDevito
11-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Lets start off by assuming you're not a pilot.

galaxy flyer
11-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Corporate position should pay for travel. I did.

GF

RI830
11-27-2017, 09:13 PM
They should pay for your expenses or at least reimburse you.
They aren't getting the process started on the right foot with this type of policy.

Yoda2
11-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Yes, At least at the corporate level and up, it is customary and professional for the prospective aviation employer to pay for reasonable expenses related to the interview, providing there is some significant travel distance, time, expense involved. I wouldn't try and hit them up for a trip across town. Some might ask for your receipts, others will typically hand you a check.

galaxy flyer
11-28-2017, 07:51 AM
We arranged and paid the air travel and hotels, if necessary. Usually, it could be a one day trip and lunch or dinner was part of the interview.

GF

Powderkeg
11-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Are you going to go to the interview anyway? If they continue to have applicants willing to do so they will never begin to reimburse for what they can get for free. I’m not saying it is (or you are) right or wrong...it’s just how business works.

Aviationluver
11-28-2017, 11:57 AM
I am leaning towards going to the interview because the starting pay is high and I've been out of aviation for a few years and this would be a good way to get a foot in the door.

However, I agree all of you. Them asking me to pay does seem unprofessional. I've worked in non-aviation industries and even the other industries would pay for out-of-state travel for interviews and they didn't have the luxury of ID90s, non-rev agreements, etc. with other airlines, etc.

If I had some other interviews setup that were close to matching the pay and benefits, I would not go to the interview.

BoilerUP
11-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Airfare, rental car, hotel and (reasonable) meals should be reimbursed by the company to the prospective employee.

ESPECIALLY in this current pilot hiring environment.

kme9418
11-28-2017, 01:00 PM
It depends on what other doors are open and available to you based on your quals and experience. It seems to me that in this hiring environment you should go with your gut feeling and not entertain options where you don't feel you are treated like a highly skilled, valued professional. First impressions are hard to overcome.

Mink
11-30-2017, 04:11 PM
We arranged and paid the air travel and hotels, if necessary. Usually, it could be a one day trip and lunch or dinner was part of the interview.

GF

This ^^^ is how it was done when I interviewed at my current job, and how we've done it for subsequent hires. 1 day event, meet over lunch.

You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. If they're skimping here...

gatogato
12-01-2017, 12:22 PM
It could be a sign of what working at the company is going to be like. The main reason for not reimbursing interview expenses is the company likes to "take a look" at as many applicants as it can.

In the 70's pilots had to pay for all of their interview expenses, so it could be that the company has older management who remember this.

CrimsonEclipse
12-04-2017, 10:44 AM
"Not paying for interview unprofessional?"

Short answer: "YES"

If the company is not paying for the ticket over, they're not a serious company.

Toonces
12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
I think it depends on how many qualified applicants they are getting. If a company canít afford to be picky, it is their job to woo you. If they have a line of people waiting to work there, they have no incentive to spend money on you yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilotgolfer
12-11-2017, 01:31 PM
If they tell you to bring a change of clothes...they are probably gonna have you washing the airplane....just to see how bad you want that job.

Varsity
12-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Hello,

I have an interview coming up with an outfit on the East Coast. This company told me they expect me to pay for my interview travel expenses (airfare, lodging, etc.). The trip should end up costing me about $400.

Is this considered unprofessional in your view? If so, what would you do?

I've worked in a few different industries and this is the first time I've ever had a company ask me to pay for items related to the interview.

Thanks.

I would be very frank with them.

"Given the current pilot market, it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"

7Xdriver
12-12-2017, 11:21 AM

"............. it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"

Your advice would be burning a bridge. Burning bridges on any opportunity is never a good idea. Sometimes a good impression (like being nice about saying no thank you) will make the interviewer remember you to another opportunity he or she knows about.

Just my humble opinion...

galaxy flyer
12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Itís never, ever, cool to be an arrogant aíhole with any employer. You never know who might be an influence on your behalf in the future.

Being polite always pays.

GF

rickair7777
12-16-2017, 09:52 AM

"Given the current pilot market, it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"

People who give advice like this typically would not follow their own advice...

Pokeysrider
12-16-2017, 09:56 AM
^^^This^^^

People who give advice like this typically would not follow their own advice...

TiredSoul
12-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Flightschool I used to work for would pay you $500 after you got hired as a CFI. Nothing crazy but better then nothing.
If itís a good opportunity then go interview. They may very well offer reimbursement when you get there.
Or when they offer you the job.
You home based or they expect you to move? If you move will they pay towards the moving expenses?
Do they have a training contract/bond?
$500 is the cost of doing business if you get a good job out of it.
Same as the type rating and recurrent training is THEIR cost of doing business.