Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 2018 Hiring

Rigoletto
11-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Good morning to everyone,

Checking the company website regularly, but looking for any intel about when the next hiring winds will take place, also any potential job fair SWA will participate to or the next "in-house" event.

Thank you in advance.

Skyward
11-28-2017, 04:16 AM
I don't know when the next one will happen, but they will advertise it on https://swa.pilotcredentials.com

Just keep an eye on that site, and make plans to attend Women in Aviation and OBAP if you can swing it. I'm sure recruiters will be at both of those events (usually March and August I think).

There's been a lot of numbers thrown around, but last I heard was 750+ in 2018.

Apply to every window, update your app regularly, and attend as many recruiting events as you can. They want to see that you want to work at SW.

Good luck!

saab2000
11-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Apply to every window, update your app regularly, and attend as many recruiting events as you can. They want to see that you want to work at SW.

And that's the strange thing about it. I applied once, updated once when I got my 737 type at another airline and never really thought about it much more. No job fairs or recruiting events for SWA at all. Suddenly I got the email invitation and I'm coming up on a year at Southwest. It's been great but at some level it seems quite random.

full of luv
11-28-2017, 07:59 AM
And that's the strange thing about it. I applied once, updated once when I got my 737 type at another airline and never really thought about it much more. No job fairs or recruiting events for SWA at all. Suddenly I got the email invitation and I'm coming up on a year at Southwest. It's been great but at some level it seems quite random.

That's a general theme for almost EVERY airlines HR department, save the RJ operators who seem to almost respond immediately if a moderately interested/qualified applicant happens to accidentally click on one of their web ads.

Stitches
11-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Company is saying 78 new hires a month Jan-May and 26 in June. Total of 416 for the first half of 2018.

at6d
11-28-2017, 07:53 PM
I figure close to 900 for 2018.

Smooth at FL450
11-28-2017, 08:18 PM
I figure close to 900 for 2018.

Combined with 56 upgrades/month, at what point does it become reasonable to think upgrade could occur in less than 10 years?

Proximity
11-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Combined with 56 upgrades/month, at what point does it become reasonable to think upgrade could occur in less than 10 years?

There is some discussion here:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/southwest/104206-career-earnings-6.html

AMC190
11-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Is it normal to have inteview invite for January and new hire preflight hire training information at the same time ?
Should I consider my inteview invite official? Anyone with solid answer about this confusion! Thanks

Rigoletto
11-29-2017, 04:26 AM
I don't know when the next one will happen, but they will advertise it on https://swa.pilotcredentials.com

Just keep an eye on that site, and make plans to attend Women in Aviation and OBAP if you can swing it. I'm sure recruiters will be at both of those events (usually March and August I think).

There's been a lot of numbers thrown around, but last I heard was 750+ in 2018.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply.

flyguy81
11-29-2017, 05:43 AM

Itíll happen. Once you get past the 2008 hires the company only hired a 1-300/yr if that for the next 5 years. If the growth stays the same itíll drop to the 6-8 yr range depending on people bypassing, etc.

Look at AA....no hiring for over a decade and upgrades are 20 yrs. But itíll drop rapidly once upgrades get past the 01-02 hires.

Cautious
11-29-2017, 08:03 AM
A friend of mine got an invite this morning. He's too ecstatic to tell me what dates are available :)

Skyward
11-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Is it normal to have inteview invite for January and new hire preflight hire training information at the same time ?
Should I consider my inteview invite official? Anyone with solid answer about this confusion! Thanks

New hire preflight info usually appears after a sucessful interview. Maybe someone at Pilot Credentials clicked too many times and turned that tab on too early. If you can schedule an interview, I would. Then you'll get the emails that follow to get you setup for the interview, and I would consider that official.

Did you ever receive any other email invitation?

AMC190
11-29-2017, 10:28 PM
New hire preflight info usually appears after a sucessful interview. Maybe someone at Pilot Credentials clicked too many times and turned that tab on too early. If you can schedule an interview, I would. Then you'll get the emails that follow to get you setup for the interview, and I would consider that official.

Did you ever receive any other email invitation?

I havenít received any other email from anyone, I just logged into my profile to update as normal!!
Iím afraid if I go and show at the inteview date, they wonít have me on the list for the day !!

NikeBuddy
11-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Just an update, looks like 2018 will 'only' be 700 hires. Lowest number I have seen forecasted yet. This was direct from A.K.

Skyward
11-30-2017, 09:51 AM
I haven’t received any other email from anyone, I just logged into my profile to update as normal!!
I’m afraid if I go and show at the inteview date, they won’t have me on the list for the day !!

Once you schedule the interview, you will receive several emails including a welcome packet from them well before you show up in DAL. They will ask for info, book your travel, have you complete more application info, etc. There would be no doubt they are expecting you before you arrive.

It is odd that you did not receive a “congratulations” email and that the training stuff also showed up, but if they give you a link to schedule an interview, there’s only one thing to do IMO :)

Now, if you are able to schedule an interview but don’t receive any correspondence afterward, then I would ask before you make the trip to DAL. Good luck!

Another thing... you've probably already done this, but check your spam folder in your email. The invite comes from “Support Department” and is notorious for going to spam. Especially with Yahoo and Hotmail.

Sqwk7700
11-30-2017, 10:57 AM
I havenít received any other email from anyone, I just logged into my profile to update as normal!!

Iím afraid if I go and show at the inteview date, they wonít have me on the list for the day !!

Did you check your spam/junk folder?

Caribbeanpilot
11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Whatís the average competitive hours for Southwest? I have a Bachelor degree but only turboprop time. Does turboprop 121 time helps or they like to see only jet time?

Thanks for the information

hoover
11-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Whatís the average competitive hours for Southwest? I have a Bachelor degree but only turboprop time. Does turboprop 121 time helps or they like to see only jet time?

Thanks for the information

In my class non military the average was 8-10k hrs. All had some kind of check airman letter. All had jet time. That was 2 yrs ago. Iíd say if you had comparable TT time and check airman it wouldnít matter if it was jet or turboprop

AMC190
12-01-2017, 09:28 AM
No emails, thanks any folder spams etc; does anyone has an email from someone I could contact about this ? Thanks

Skyward
12-01-2017, 09:37 AM
No emails, thanks any folder spams etc; does anyone has an email from someone I could contact about this ? Thanks

What about clicking on an interview date and see if you get the emails that will follow? Might be the easier first step...

ipdanno
12-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Itíll happen. Once you get past the 2008 hires the company only hired a 1-300/yr if that for the next 5 years. ....

After the class of Sept 17, 2008, WN hired zero pilots* for 2 1/2 years. Current first upgrade opportunity is about 10 years; I agree it should drop down a few years, in just a few years.

If the company doesn't stop hiring/upgrading.

AND if the age isn't raised to 67 or 70.

AND ... 'fill-in-the-blank'

* No, not Mitsubishi pilots, zero, as in none.

flyguy81
12-01-2017, 10:46 AM

Youíre overthinking it. Pick a date you can go and start prepping.

TexasFlight
12-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Age 67 is going to be a heck of a lot harder to sell than 65 was. No ICAO precedent.

RJSAviator76
12-05-2017, 06:34 AM
Age 67 is going to be a heck of a lot harder to sell than 65 was. No ICAO precedent.

Not a fan of increasing retirement age, but Japan already raised their pilots' retirement age to 67. Also, didn't Canada do away with age 65 for domestic operations?

TexasFlight
12-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Not a fan of increasing retirement age, but Japan already raised their pilots' retirement age to 67. Also, didn't Canada do away with age 65 for domestic operations?

Not sure. But, thats certainly not a good trend.

ShyGuy
12-05-2017, 10:41 AM
After the class of Sept 17, 2008, WN hired zero pilots* for 2 1/2 years. Current first upgrade opportunity is about 10 years; I agree it should drop down a few years, in just a few years.

If the company doesn't stop hiring/upgrading.

AND if the age isn't raised to 67 or 70.

AND ... 'fill-in-the-blank'

* No, not Mitsubishi pilots, zero, as in none.

Keep hearing this Age 67 rumor over and over again. It does absolutely nothing to stop the upcoming 'crisis' or 'shortage' except to delay it by 2 yrs....

Everything else (the numbers) all stay the same. You basically just shift the columns right by two years.

RJSAviator76
12-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Keep hearing this Age 67 rumor over and over again. It does absolutely nothing to stop the upcoming 'crisis' or 'shortage' except to delay it by 2 yrs....

Everything else (the numbers) all stay the same. You basically just shift the columns right by two years.

But it does kick the issue at least 8 earning reports down the road. Today, that's all that matters.

shoelu
12-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Hiring should remain brisk in 2018. SWA will end 2017 with a fleet count of 707 airframes. The year end fleet in 2018 will be 750. That is a net gain of 43 aircraft in '18. These numbers show around 6% fleet growth in '18 to restore the fleet numbers lost during the classic retirement. These numbers come directly from GK so I expect them to be relatively accurate considering the short time frame.

hoover
12-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Hiring should remain brisk in 2018. SWA will end 2017 with a fleet count of 707 airframes. The year end fleet in 2018 will be 750. That is a net gain of 43 aircraft in '18. These numbers show around 6% fleet growth in '18 to restore the fleet numbers lost during the classic retirement. These numbers come directly from GK so I expect them to be relatively accurate considering the short time frame.

net of 43 airframes but a increase in reliability also and long days for the planes. Iíd say itíll effect manning as if we added 60+ airframes.
Good news

e6bpilot
12-08-2017, 05:45 AM
According to the union blast, aircraft utilization is already up due to classic retirement. They are flying more shoulder times (times when nobody wants to fly) in order to keep frequency in some city pairs. FO reserve utilization remains low (57 percent) as upgrades lag new hire classes right now. Captain reserve utilization is 81 percent. Expect that to balance out as upgrades happen starting this month.

DelTacoBowl
12-08-2017, 12:32 PM
.....how critical are military check ride hooks with regards to getting hired at SWA? For example, if someone had two check ride hooks (even though one was for a missing write in safety supplement in a checklist) is this a deal breaker?

ZapBrannigan
12-08-2017, 12:49 PM
.....how critical are military check ride hooks with regards to getting hired at SWA? For example, if someone had two check ride hooks (even though one was for a missing write in safety supplement in a checklist) is this a deal breaker?

What is a checkride hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacock
12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
What kind of check ride are we talking about? Re-flying something while doing a weapons school syllabus is different than failing an annual instrument check.

DelTacoBowl
12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
What kind of check ride are we talking about? Re-flying something while doing a weapons school syllabus is different than failing an annual instrument check.

One was a no-notice checkride. I had an emergency during an operational mission departing out of Manas, and the EP didn't like the way I handled it, and the other, like I stated, was for non-current checklist during an instrument check. Put a write in safety supplement in the wrong place.

WHACKMASTER
12-08-2017, 01:07 PM
What is a checkride hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bust (apparently).

Warhawg01
12-08-2017, 01:31 PM
A Q3 is a hook is a bust. Own it. Explain why it happened and how it made you a better pilot. I would avoid something along the lines "well, it was just a safety supplement - no big deal." Which you are kind of alluding to.

Psycho18th
12-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Doubt itís a deal breaker. Just make sure itís on the app correctly. Guarantee theyíll ask u about it if u get the interview. I sure would ask. Like the previous poster said, own it and tell what u learned. If you donít have some humility and canít take something relatively major away from a busted checkride, then there are other issues.

flensr
12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
I am also looking at the new "hiring information" button on the application, and can't find an email. My application status changed to "under review" on Nov 28 just a week ago, however it's been "that kind of week" so I'm digging around looking for any hints.

If I don't find anything, it sounds like just click on the button and choose a date/time is the proactive answer? Also on the hiring information is a ton of additional screening info. I'll of course fill that out, just wondering if it'll look bad jumping the gun, sort of like that warning we used to get in high school about starting to fill out the test form before listening to the instructions :)

at6d
12-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Be sure to check your spam filter.

flensr
12-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Be sure to check your spam filter.

Yea, did that, nothing there. I got an email from swa support several months ago so they've gone through in the past. I'm hoping the email is in the queue somewhere, or selecting a date will trigger the next step and that one will make it through.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1