Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FO questions

skyyspam
11-29-2017, 02:49 PM
I am looking at applying with republic soon. 1) how long does it take before you can hold a line at ORD? 2) I heard that line holders can be drop trips...is that true and how much can you drop? 3) any interview gouge/test questions?

Thanks in advance!

ORD170
11-30-2017, 06:41 AM
ORD is very senior, maybe the most senior base at Republic. Yes you can trip trade with other FOs and maybe get a drop from the company. Very hard to get the company to allow you to just drop trips though. Normally not enough reserve coverage. SAP would help, but they have been promising implementation for 2 years, so donít count on SAP.

themagicman00
11-30-2017, 08:43 AM
I am looking at applying with republic soon. 1) how long does it take before you can hold a line at ORD? 2) I heard that line holders can be drop trips...is that true and how much can you drop? 3) any interview gouge/test questions?

Thanks in advance!

Send me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJBrass
11-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Anyplace NOT NY is very senior at Republic.

ChrisPilot1
11-30-2017, 10:09 AM
This is not true at all. 3 new hires were recently awarded ORD for training. One PIT as well. Miami seems to be the hardest.

skyyspam
11-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. How quick is movement? As in, how long would I be on reserve without a line?

Kerizbro
11-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Miami or Kansas City are definitely the most senior.

ORD170
11-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Lol so true. Still if you live in ORD, reserve as FO shouldnít be too bad. Still better places to go to be based in ord though

ORD170
11-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. How quick is movement? As in, how long would I be on reserve without a line?

About 12 months to hold a line in ORD as FO. Just be aware ORD is a small base, and I wouldnít expect much growth in ORD. As mentioned Republic love NYC area and outstations.

Also be careful who you listen to, because Republic has recruiters on here, and they get paid to get you online at Republic.

Auburn17Pilot
12-09-2017, 07:29 PM
what's the most commutable base for a new hire? going to try and live at home and pinch pennies for as long as i can.

cf105
12-09-2017, 09:48 PM
what's the most commutable base for a new hire? going to try and live at home and pinch pennies for as long as i can.

Look at the bases Republic has and check flights to your home airport. LGA was the hardest one for me with early morning showtime and mid-afternoon return. Usually necessitated a night, or 2, per trip in NY. Not sure about the other bases.

TangoIndiaMike1
12-09-2017, 11:22 PM

It depends. Where do you live? I assume you only want to one leg it.check out passrider http://www.passrider.com/reservations/advanced-search/ go to google flights and type the bases and your nearest Airport.
Boston has 25 flights to LGA a day.

Gusgus2305
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM
How many legs a day are you typically flying?

Captain Slow
12-13-2017, 02:22 PM

2-4 typically. Just depends on the trip.

ORD170
12-14-2017, 05:17 AM

Trips are built for 1-5 days, but they can keep you out 6 days. Some bases have a lot of 1 and 2 day trips, so you could end up with a 4 day backed up with a 1 day. Maybe 2 four days. On reserve you will have 6 day stretches.

TheWeatherman
12-17-2017, 02:39 PM
All depends on what airport you are flying out of. You can go to passrider dot com and see what the daily flights are out of your airport to a specific location. You obviously want a 1 leg commute with a lot of flights.

Geardownflaps30
12-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Hubs are more commutable than outstations. Hubs where we fly for more than one code share (e.g., but not limited to DCA, LGA, ORD) are more commuter friendly than others (think more schedule options). YMMV...

ChrisPilot1
01-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Hi guys. I just got done with training and have OE coming up. Question is are hats required? They told us in indoc its required except during Daylight savings period. Is this true? I couldn't find anything in company manuals saying hats were required uniform. Honestly I think some pilots look great in hats, for me however I look like a complete tool. I just didnt want to show up day one without a hat and get into trouble .

Palarran
01-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Not anymore. Search in comply for the Style Guide.

ORD170
01-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Not required anymore.

Tpinks
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Hi guys. I just got done with training and have OE coming up. Question is are hats required? They told us in indoc its required except during Daylight savings period. Is this true? I couldn't find anything in company manuals saying hats were required uniform. Honestly I think some pilots look great in hats, for me however I look like a complete tool. I just didnt want to show up day one without a hat and get into trouble .

What is a Hat?

What is a Long sleeve Pilot shirt?

They are mythical Unicorns

Geardownflaps30
01-04-2018, 10:50 PM
What is a Hat?

What is a Long sleeve Pilot shirt?

They are mythical Unicorns

I wear long sleeve shirts Nov - April. Much warmer when the cold air is blowing through the flight deck. Didn't your momma teach you how to dress?!?! ;)

Tpinks
01-05-2018, 07:21 AM
I wear long sleeve shirts Nov - April. Much warmer when the cold air is blowing through the flight deck. Didn't your momma teach you how to dress?!?! ;)

Per the style guide we all are required to wear long sleeves north of MIA during that period, but 99.9%, of the captains at least, don't. I have yet to fly with one that has.

TheWeatherman
01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Not sure what the big aversion to long sleeve shirts is at Republic. I don't find them any less or more comfortable than short sleeves.

stringandrudder
01-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Long sleeve shirts keep me warm. I get made fun of left and right for it. Guess who couldnít care less?

knewyork
01-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Long sleeve shirts keep me warm. I get made fun of left and right for it. Guess who couldnít care less?

Almost every other profession wears longsleeves. Iíve got tattoos and so I always wear longsleeve. I hear questions about it all the time. Why does anyone care? Whatís worse is people act like I must now regret getting tattoos. Nope, I enjoy a lot of other things in life when Iím not flying. Iíve even gotten one on an overnight.

Greyhound1
01-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Thank you for using the phrase "couldn't care less" properly. Far too often I hear/see people using the phrase "could care less", which doesn't make any sense.

Aurora8
01-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Are IND and CMH senior as well?

TheWeatherman
01-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Are IND and CMH senior as well?
FOs have been regularly getting those bases out of training.

TangoIndiaMike1
01-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Not true at all. The last couple new hire classes where crammed into Columbus.

ChrisPilot1
01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Hello . Do we get commuter hotels at all? On IOE and have been given a pairing which are four one days in a row. Iím commuting so itís really inconvenient this has happened. Iím going to end up spending $400-500 + on hotels to do this .

Anyone else here have tips for commuting pilots please? Does scheduling work with us at all to help out ?

ORD170
01-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Hello . Do we get commuter hotels at all? On IOE and have been given a pairing which are four one days in a row. Iím commuting so itís really inconvenient this has happened. Iím going to end up spending $400-500 + on hotels to do this .

Anyone else here have tips for commuting pilots please? Does scheduling work with us at all to help out ?

Call and tell them you need a hotel. Since youíre on IOE, then you should get one. Also once you get on the line they will give you one, if they have extras. Pretty rare in most bases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
01-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Call and tell them you need a hotel. Since youíre on IOE, then you should get one. Also once you get on the line they will give you one, if they have extras. Pretty rare in most bases.

I don't believe he will get a hotel if that IOE is at his home base.

ORD170
01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
I don't believe he will get a hotel if that IOE is at his home base.

I donít think youíre actually considered in base until after OE. That could be old info now though. Doesnít hurt to ask, especially as a new hire.

IFlyThings
01-17-2018, 06:23 PM
I did IOE in my home base in November, and was offered hotels.

stringandrudder
01-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Almost every other profession wears longsleeves. Iíve got tattoos and so I always wear longsleeve. I hear questions about it all the time. Why does anyone care? Whatís worse is people act like I must now regret getting tattoos. Nope, I enjoy a lot of other things in life when Iím not flying. Iíve even gotten one on an overnight.

Exactly. But hey, people like to make a stink of pretty much anything these days.

stringandrudder
01-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Thank you for using the phrase "couldn't care less" properly. Far too often I hear/see people using the phrase "could care less", which doesn't make any sense.

Haha I agree.

DragonFlyer14
01-26-2018, 06:10 AM
Hey everyone, I️ have some quick questions.

1. What is the DOH for the current most junior captain and which base would that be?

2. I️ know this one is a rough estimate based off attrition and growth but If hired today, is upgrade time still around 3.5 years or is that expected to shrink?

Thank you, I️ am trying to factor in what my pay would be as a second and third year FO.

themagicman00
01-28-2018, 04:32 AM

1. What is the DOH for the current most junior captain and which base would that be?

2. I️ know this one is a rough estimate based off attrition and growth but If hired today, is upgrade time still around 3.5 years or is that expected to shrink?

Thank you, I️ am trying to factor in what my pay would be as a second and third year FO.

Yes, the upgrade time has been reduce to just over 3 years now, it might change.

ORD170
01-28-2018, 10:06 AM

If someone took the first available upgrade, then it would be a east coast base. 5-6 years to hold MCI and around 10 for ORD.

AbeLink
02-02-2018, 03:43 AM
Not true at all. The last couple new hire classes where crammed into Columbus.

Hope that's still the case in a couple months, really wanting CMH.

blindfayth
02-02-2018, 05:58 AM
If someone took the first available upgrade, then it would be a east coast base. 5-6 years to hold MCI and around 10 for ORD.

What about for CMH? How many years until I could upgrade into a CA slot there?

ORD170
02-02-2018, 06:10 AM
What about for CMH? How many years until I could upgrade into a CA slot there?

The junior captain is currently a August 2014 hire, but he will probably be on reserve for years. Maybe 6-7 years to hold a junior line in CMH.

TwinTandem
02-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Just hope EWR stays junior. Sounds like the odds are pretty good with that one.

Migz74
02-05-2018, 10:22 AM
What are the details on the Flight Training Initiative (FTI)? I emailed but the response I got was you have to pass the interview and then ask the recruiter. I have all my hours except total multiengine time is 25.4 hours short of 50 required for an ATP.

Thanks!

Rotor2prop
02-05-2018, 10:42 AM
What are the details on the Flight Training Initiative (FTI)? I emailed but the response I got was you have to pass the interview and then ask the recruiter. I have all my hours except total multiengine time is 25.4 hours short of 50 required for an ATP.

Thanks!

All regionals I am aware of are only requiring 25 in aircraft because you get the rest in the Sim. So if Republic is like everyone else you only need .4 to meet mins.

Longleaf7
02-05-2018, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Migz74;2520546]What are the details on the Flight Training Initiative (FTI)? I emailed but the response I got was you have to pass the interview and then ask the recruiter. I have all my hours except total multiengine time is 25.4 hours short of 50 required for an ATP.

Thanks![/QUOTE

It sounds like you have the flight time to warrant an interview provided they like what they see on paper. Read through the forum to gain some insight on how to prepare for it. Then, definitely take the recruiters word over anyone else; things change.

From what I understand about the FTI, they give you the sign-on bonus before you start. you use that money to finish up and remaining hours needed to meet the ATP mins, up to 100 hours if needed. You'll get a 10 or so hours in the ATP-CTP course (Here's where you definitely want to take the recruiter's word over mine). I believe the FARs state the ATP-CTP program has to consist of at least 10 hours in the sim. Theoretically, you could show up to the ATP-CTP course with 40 hours and be good to go. Again, don't take my word for it.

Longleaf7
02-05-2018, 11:43 AM
One more thing:

If you want to keep that sign-on bonus you have to commit to two years service. Otherwise you pay it back. Also, if you use the money to build your time then decide not to sign-on or don't make it through training, you have to pay it back.

Migz74
02-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Thank you for the info. It states 50ME time here on APC. Is that the case with Republic? I know some others only require 25ME because you can legally log 25 in the sim. Im just not sure of the policy here. If itís only .4 then yeah Iíll do a lap in the pattern. Good to know about the two year commitment. That would actually play a big part in my decision since the upgrade times seem to be on the longer side.

Thanks again guys / gals!

Longleaf7
02-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Thank you for the info. It states 50ME time here on APC. Is that the case with Republic? I know some others only require 25ME because you can legally log 25 in the sim. Im just not sure of the policy here. If itís only .4 then yeah Iíll do a lap in the pattern. Good to know about the two year commitment. That would actually play a big part in my decision since the upgrade times seem to be on the longer side.

Thanks again guys / gals!

I would read the fine print about the sign-on bonus no matter where you choose to go. I don't think Republic is any different than the rest in that regard.

ChrisPilot1
03-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Hello all,

Feeling a little under the weather today and have a 3 day Reserve period starting tomorrow. What are the consequences of calling in sick for me? Am I going to get an occurance for this and do I have any way to use sick pay so my paycheck isn’t lost.

One more thing to add. I have two reserve periods grouped together with only one day off in Between? Thought that wasn’t legal.

Thanks

FlyGood
03-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Hello all,

Feeling a little under the weather today and have a 3 day Reserve period starting tomorrow. What are the consequences of calling in sick for me? Am I going to get an occurance for this and do I have any way to use sick pay so my paycheck isnít lost.

One more thing to add. I have two reserve periods grouped together with only one day off in Between? Thought that wasnít legal.

Thanks

Youíll get an occurrence unless you have a doctors note. Iím not sure whether youíll have to call in every day of the period or just the first, either way itís just one occurrence (w/ no doctor note). Vacation will automatically be deducted to cover your sick time. If you donít want to use that time then just email payroll.

Did you allow single days off in your bid? Or is the single day the first or last day of a month? Because in those 2 cases then yes you can have a single day off.

ChrisPilot1
03-22-2018, 04:47 PM
So Iím going to get an occurrence for being sick? Doesnít that deter pilots from calling in sick? ( I realize if people are trying to con the system but if Iím not FFD that is BS)

What can I do then to not get an occurrence and not have to go spend $100-$200 on a doctors visit? Family emergency?

TheWeatherman
03-22-2018, 05:01 PM
So I’m going to get an occurrence for being sick? Doesn’t that deter pilots from calling in sick? ( I realize if people are trying to con the system but if I’m not FFD that is BS)

What can I do then to not get an occurrence and not have to go spend $100-$200 on a doctors visit? Family emergency?
You are allowed one sick call absence every 6 months that won't count against your perfect attendance if you submit a doctor's note.

All the information you need to know on this subject is in Article 29 of the contract located in your Comply 365.

FlyGood
03-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Did the new LOA change that? Cuz Iím pretty sure your perfect attendance gets reset if you call in sick. As for the occurrences I wouldnít worry about it. Since youíre on reserve and asking this question I assume youíre new. They sound scary but you get 6 of them in a rolling 12 months before you even get a warning (I wouldnít push it year 1 though obviously). Unless you plan on getting sick or calling in otherwise unavailable every other month you have nothing to worry about. The occurrence isnít the problem imo but our lack of sick pay. It potentially could threaten a vacation plan which isnít cool but thatís the way of the world and sometimes you gotta play the cards youíre dealt.

TheWeatherman
03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Don't think the new LOA worsened any of our work rules. You would have to show me where the new LOA strikes Article 29 A.2.e

VASBYT
03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
I am planning on interviewing next week. I was curious if any recent news hires can give me any pointers on what areas of the ATP questions I should concentrate on for the 20 minute iPad written test one has to take?

TheWeatherman
03-22-2018, 06:58 PM
I am planning on interviewing next week. I was curious if any recent news hires can give me any pointers on what areas of the ATP questions I should concentrate on for the 20 minute iPad written test one has to take?
I can't remember the specific areas. I know I took Sheppard's interview prep which will only give the the possible questions on the test (around 800) and I scored 20 out of 20 on it.

TangoIndiaMike1
03-22-2018, 11:00 PM

https://www.aviationinterviews.com
Did a pretty good job.

They werenít allowed to tell us how we did so I donít know how you knew you got 20/20. I was told that I did better then most on the tablet test.

TheWeatherman
03-23-2018, 03:26 AM
https://www.aviationinterviews.com
Did a pretty good job.

They werenít allowed to tell us how we did so I donít know how you knew you got 20/20. I was told that I did better then most on the tablet test.

I could tell from how easily I recognized/answered the questions and then their comment afterwards even though you are right they didnít specifically state my score. Looks like you scored a point on the internets today :rolleyes:

VASBYT
03-23-2018, 06:38 AM
I could tell from how easily I recognized/answered the questions and then their comment afterwards even though you are right they didnít specifically state my score. Looks like you scored a point on the internets today :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being confident and knowing your stuff.

So I have had Dauntless ATP for a while now, will it hurt me studying those questions? I believe they are taken from the same test bank. I would hate to spend $85 when I have access to the same questions. Looking at the Sheppard's (trial), I can clearly see those are the same questions in my Dauntless software.

Flightcap
03-23-2018, 07:39 AM
If you can ace the Dauntless test you are over prepared. The Sheppard product only uses the subset of questions that appear in the respective airline's interview. It's a more efficient way to study but not necessary if you are already proficient with the ATP bank.

ORD170
03-23-2018, 11:29 AM
So Iím going to get an occurrence for being sick? Doesnít that deter pilots from calling in sick? ( I realize if people are trying to con the system but if Iím not FFD that is BS)

Very common in the Airlines, and not just regionals. Delta is very strict about attendance issues. If youíre sick and not abusing the system it will not be a issue. If you have a chronic condition look into IFMLA. Republic will release your attendance if your next employer has you sign a release, and many require you to sign a release. Doesnít republic give like 8 occurrences in a year? Plus as others have stated you will not get a occurrence with a note.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1