Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : DTW CRJ fleet? QoL?

skyyspam
11-30-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm thinking about applying to skywest because I have prior CRJ 2/7/9 time, and I would like to have DTW as a domicile. I own my own business, which makes me more than enough money, but I miss flying and being able to jumpseat or non-rev everywhere.

Which variant of the CRJ does SW fly in DTW? I really hate the 200...and the fact that they pay you a dollar or so less per hour is just kind of a slap to the face! :D Do they make you fly all three variants?

Also, how is the QoL once you can hold a line? Can you drop trips, or otherwise adjust your schedule? I have no interest in becoming a captain.

Thanks!

skyyspam
11-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Oh--also considering ATL as a base. Any gouge on ATL would be appreciated!

Oma4545
11-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Why not Endeavor? Things aren't so great here. They could be worse, but I know if I was interested in those bases I wouldn't be coming to SkyWest.

Duesenflieger
11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
How is QOL in DTW? Prepare to fly 4 days straight in a row and have 2 off...then do 4 days on the road again. DTW has some of the worse QOL. Good luck managing a business with that sort of schedule.

WesternSkies
11-30-2017, 09:36 AM
The CRJ is understaffed at the moment and I donít see that changing.
As a function of our bidding system, youíll need to get to roughly 25% in base before gaining any real control of your schedule.
Iím talking >350 hours at work every month until you hit that bidding percentage. It really isnít conducive pt work.

As of today 25% in dtw can take 1.5 years which is amazing historically but still 1.5 years of a fuuuuull line.

WesternSkies
11-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Why not Endeavor? Things aren't so great here. They could be worse, but I know if I was interested in those bases I wouldn't be coming to SkyWest.

people typically see living near the junior bases as a benefit

Oma4545
11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
people typically see living near the junior bases as a benefit

Itís junior there too, upgrade as soon as you have the hours.

Cefiro
11-30-2017, 01:55 PM
DTW doesn't seem understaffed on the FO side. FOs drop trips/turns all the time. Capt side is a different story.

ATL base is so new it's hard to say how things will shake out. It's going to be real junior though!

ConnectionPilot
12-01-2017, 05:01 AM
DTW in Endeavor's most senior base. You'll fly either the 200 or 900 at Endeavor as well. I'd choose SkyWest over the fact of quick movement in DTW.
ATL is new, maybe 60 crews at the end game. Mostly 200 now with 900s rumored.

skyyspam
12-01-2017, 05:52 AM
How much can you drop trips with SKW? I'm guessing that's a line-holder thing. That's really my main goal...I don't care how much money I skip out on, regional pay is always going to be crap. I just want to maximize my time off, and travel, etc.

Five93H
12-01-2017, 06:44 AM
DTW in Endeavor's most senior base. You'll fly either the 200 or 900 at Endeavor as well. I'd choose SkyWest over the fact of quick movement in DTW.

This isn't true at all. Newhires are getting DTW as initial assignments. DTW900 is scheduled to double staffing wise by next summer. Don't care whether folks of to us or OO, but at least be truthful.

word302
12-01-2017, 06:53 AM
How much can you drop trips with SKW? I'm guessing that's a line-holder thing. That's really my main goal...I don't care how much money I skip out on, regional pay is always going to be crap. I just want to maximize my time off, and travel, etc.

Youíre going to have a bad time.

crjscum
12-01-2017, 07:05 AM

#fakenews

Filler

Check Complete
12-01-2017, 08:32 AM
I find it comical to hear QOL and SkyWest together!

To the original poster, I would recommend staying with your business, and build it up, enjoy what I can almost guarantee is a better QOL!

SkyWest has become just a giant airline and the people do not matter anymore. But I can tell you your first few years here will be a living hell. Everything here is company centric, the individual has the privilege of being employed.

As far as non reving places, well that is only getting more difficult too.

If you are hell bent on going to a regional, I'd recommend Endeavor.

Good Luck!

skyyspam
12-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the input! I knew it sounded too good to be true! I applied with Endeavor yesterday, so now it's time to play the waiting game!

Turbosina
12-01-2017, 05:20 PM

I've been here well over three years and bid top 20 percent in base.

In that time I've been able to drop two turns. Not trips, mind you. Just turns.

Does that help answer the question?

Bravix
12-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Thanks for all the input! I knew it sounded too good to be true! I applied with Endeavor yesterday, so now it's time to play the waiting game!

You made the right decision there.