Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Western Global pilots help please

Bombinha
12-02-2017, 06:52 AM
I am trying to apply to Western Global. I have plenty of experience and and MD11 747 and 744 type ratings.
I am also a Floridian.
I sent my resume in using the company website but no joy.
Anyone has a better idea or way to send over my resume for next class?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

PS there is a PDF attachment on website and mentions to contact Cynthia Apricella, but it was updated in Jan/2017 so she might not even be on same position anymore. If anyone could also confirm that.
Thanks.

Riverside
12-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Must have missed this a few threads down.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/88547-western-global-airways-29.html#post2473006

Bombinha
12-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Must have missed this a few threads down.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/88547-western-global-airways-29.html#post2473006

this link only shows that Western Global is on APC but doesn't show anything about how to apply.

Muredhawk
12-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately I don't believe that the App receiving process is any more sophisticated than an email inbox. If you have internal recs then that for sure the best way to get noticed. Otherwise its very easy to get buried in the inbound emails sent to the Career website...

Best of Luck

57N30W
12-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Bomb,

I like your drive. If you want to work at WGA, PM me. Yeah, I am a management puke, 747-400 Capt, and VP of Ops.

TQ

Braniff DC8
12-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Bombinha! Please, I beg of you. Get or stay off that merry go round, it will kill you! A few trips in economy to India, or around the Middle East, will cure you in a hurry. They will treat like you like rubbish cause thatís what they really think of you. Go fly somewhere nice, like Hawaii or Alaska. ALL the good regionals are hiring and trust me, itís better than any 121 Charter/Supplemental, out there. You will not gain anything going to a bottom feeder. I had to learn the hard way although quickly. A crash pad in kew gardens is better than Afghanistan or Africa anyday.

No Land 3
12-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Bombinha! Please, I beg of you. Get or stay off that merry go round, it will kill you! A few trips in economy to India, or around the Middle East, will cure you in a hurry. They will treat like you like rubbish cause thatís what they really think of you. Go fly somewhere nice, like Hawaii or Alaska. ALL the good regionals are hiring and trust me, itís better than any 121 Charter/Supplemental, out there. You will not gain anything going to a bottom feeder. I had to learn the hard way although quickly. A crash pad in kew gardens is better than Afghanistan or Africa anyday.
Your info is way out of date. If I wasnít at K4, these guys would be my #2

Screwed
12-10-2017, 01:50 AM
Your info is way out of date. If I wasnít at K4, these guys would be my #2

Why would they be your #2? What has changed?

Colt45
12-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Your info is way out of date. If I wasn’t at K4, these guys would be my #2

I know of three guys at K4 who used to work for WGA. Just did a trip last week with one of them. You may want to check with one of them before saying they'd be your #2. :D

No Land 3
12-10-2017, 05:38 PM
I know of three guys at K4 who used to work for WGA. Just did a trip last week with one of them. You may want to check with one of them before saying they'd be your #2. :D

A friend of mine is in training with them right now. From what he told me, they have removed all stops to get pilots to stay, one item is true home basing from anywhere in the world, so if you wanted to live in Thailand... He also expects to make 90k his first year.
The truth will be realized however once he hits the line. Yes, I know they have a reputation from the past, but again, so does K4.

Colt45
12-10-2017, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine is in training with them right now. From what he told me, they have removed all stops to get pilots to stay, one item is true home basing from anywhere in the world, so if you wanted to live in Thailand... He also expects to make 90k his first year.
The truth will be realized however once he hits the line. Yes, I know they have a reputation from the past, but again, so does K4.

Wow. Home basing anywhere in the world? That'd be alright but ridding 4 legs in coach would get old real fast.

skysailor
12-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Gents- there are big differences between the 747 and the MD-11 on every facet of flying at WGA. The mad dog does the bulk of the heavy lifting here (pun intended) and some of the garden spots in Africa and other places is not fun. It is what it is. Obviously the DH/positioning to and from assignments depends on where you live and what airport the Co flies you in and out of. Bottom line: it all sucks but its the price for living in the place you want to live.

WGA doesn't pretend to be anything it is not. It is a growing company that points out from the interview onwards that the flying here is hard work. I will say that overall I am impressed with the mgt and ownership of the airline. They do their best to support the crews on the road (its not perfect), however, benefits like a profit sharing plan and constant 360 feedback environment are just a few of the efforts by senior leadership to keep pilots, MX and LM's interested and motivated to the extent they can. As you all know, freighter ACMI flying is not for folks looking for a cushy gig. I'll get off my soapbox now...

80Z28Dude
12-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Wow. Home basing anywhere in the world? That'd be alright but ridding 4 legs in coach would get old real fast.

In the last 21 months I have never done 4 legs to position, 3 legs less than 5 Times. It does depend on where you live.

80Z28Dude
12-13-2017, 10:12 AM

With $77900 as a first year min FO guarantee, $90k is well within reach. Peak season bonuses and a $10k retention bonus every 24 months almost average out to 90k without overtime, unless you start considering present values, etc. Theres $60 a day perdiem on top of this and the spectre of profit sharing, still donít have anything definitive on profit sharing. There is a 401k plan with Vanguard funds, but there is no match. Itís still good to have with associated tax deferment.

Worldguy
12-16-2017, 01:40 AM
WGA still taking DEC on either fleet?

Muredhawk
12-16-2017, 05:59 AM
No new classes DEC.

Bombinha
12-21-2017, 11:50 AM

I totally agree

WinggedHussars
12-28-2017, 04:37 AM

I know a bit of the points I'm about to make have already been made here but I'll add my two cents:

This is absolutely outdated. I am fairly new, just off IOE and on the MD11 with A background as an RJ captain and I'm young. Under 30. But my experience with all facets of the company so far are overwhelmingly positive.

You are not treated like rubbish, and the leadership goes to pretty solid lengths to remind you that they don't see you as rubbish.

They never lied and said the schedule or flying would be a cakewalk from the onset. Not even in the interview. They said 20 hour days were possible, and I've certainly worked some long ones.

They are mostly supplemental. The operation changes constantly and so schedules change constantly to meet the needs of the customers. They don't do this because they hate you, they do this because that is how they meet their customers requirements, fulfill their contracts, and keep making money which directly contributes to you keeping a job and making money yourself.

They have a constant open line of communication and feedback between operations, the line, and management.

They do little things like send you digital Christmas cards and give you a little extra to get yourself a nice dinner if you are working through holidays.

There is a decent peak season bonus.

There is talk of profit sharing.

They operate on a business philosophy they call "The western global way" which is bassed on the "great game of business" concept. (Google it, really cool idea)

They are trying to establish a company and corporate culture and unique identity.

The economy class deadheads seem to be a sticking point for alot of people. Business class deadheads for every crew member all the time all over the world is a massive expense. It doesn't make economic sense to do that when you are a new company that is trying to grow and gain new contracts and need to keep your costs as low as possible to be able to under bid your larger and more established competitors.

There are tons of "economy class CEOs" out there that don't even buy themselves first or business everywhere they go.

I get that other guys require it as per their CBA and I get that it's really nice. I'd love to fly business everywhere I go for sure, but don't you think it's just a bit pretentious to think that you should be entitled to that at all times?

I personally would rather work for a strong, competitive, financially secure company that keeps growing and receive bigger profit sharing checks than get every deadhead at a price tag of 5 grand a pop. I sure as hell wouldnt buy business for myself all the time even if I had the money to if I'm trying to reinvest everything I can in to growth.

Just playing devils advocate and I happen to understand economics on an amateur level and respect the reasoning there.

It may not always be the case for us either. We can always hope for business class deals in the future if the company grows steadily and gets as big as a
Atlas or K4 and gets pockets as deep as atlas or k4. Who knows?

WGA is fairly new as a company and they are changing fast. Improvements come every day. There are certainly some things that are still being figured out, but from what I've been able to acertain, working here now is like working for a different company all together even than working here a year ago. Alot of people left back then. The comapny made an assessment of why and what it would take to attract and retain people, and put it in to action. Some are coming back. That is all without a big union pushing an agenda. Nobody forced the company to do that. They did it because they are smart enough to understand pilots are a big part of a successful airline. And in a world where other managements are fileing law suits against their pilot groups make them work harder instead of raising pay and making QOL adjustments to encourage them to stay and work hard, I think that speaks volumes for the quality of the folks who run this place.

I can't offer a comparison to life at Atlas of K4 because I have not worked from them. I can only say what my own experience has been thus far. And I understand that as far as the ACMI industry foes right now K4 is top level. If I had a job offer on the table from both I'd take k4. But I didn't, I had a job offer from WGA and I don't regret taking it at all. Ask me in a year if I've changed my mind. I doubt I will have.

Oh and economy class deadheads can be rough, true. But you keep your miles and likely will attain a level of status with at least one of the big three legacies depending on where you live if in the us.

A word of advice on that from my own experiences deadheading and paying my own tickets in the past as well that has nothing to do with WGA but is none the less relevant and can make the travel experience more palatable:

Travel in uniform, introduce yourself to the in-flight service manager and the captain on your international legs, smile, be respectful, don't act entitled, and go on about your trip and you'll be surprised what happens when a seat turns out to be open In business or economy comfort.

I may have had economy class tickets on my deadheads both ways this month, but on the international segments, I did not sit in economy.

Obviously doesn't happen all the time, and you can't be upset if it doesn't. But crewmembers tend to take care of each other.

I have heard this happens less on the foreign flag carriers and some companies like Qatar and Lufthansa ask that you remove your wings and epaulettes so their customers do not mistake you for one of their employees. I haven't delt with that yet.

As for the middle seats, use the airline apps and keep checking back multiple times a day to see if other seats have opened up, as people's plans change, seats will open up and then get gobbled up really fast but there is usually a window of opportunity to nab a better seat.

Basic tier 1 status with all 3 us legacies include at least day of travel complimentary economy plus upgrades. If you have status, don't forget to use it!

Also there tend to be some economy comfort or economy plus seats open that aren't middles. If you are in uniform, are nice and polite and happy, and ask the gate agent not specifically for comfort but rather "if there is any way if a window or aisle becomes available they could think about moving you there" alot of times you'll find yourself in economy comfort with at least A slightly better seat.

Again, not 100% all the time, but just like when you used to non-rev, a uniform, a pleasant attitude, and mutual respect can win you alot.

Braniff DC8
12-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Very good post Wingged but if I may. The conditions you work under, and have accepted as ok, have been around for a long long time. If you keep showing up to work, they think you are being treated fairly, which I do not believe you are. You can do better and deserve better. Why you would leave a regional, in todays pilot market, to go to WGA, is beyond me. The Neffs have a long and jaded history. If you start asking for more, they will shut down and move those contracts to the next charter certificate. See the Skylease/Centurion model. That too has been going on for years. The image of them seeming to care is just that. You are an expense to them and thus have to be controlled.

Now as far as business class is concerned, do you know that a lot of contracts are written to have the flight crews ride in bizzo or first. The company keeps the money and buys you an economy ticket. I worked for carriers that did that and still do. Please donít fool yourself with the ďNew AirlineĒ BS. Theyíve been selling icebergs to Eskimos for years, ie; Southern Air. See how great that place is?

Get off, and stay off, that bandwagon. Being young is a great advantage. You donít want to look back on your career in twenty years going ďwhat was I thinkingĒ.

Happy Holidays as I expect to get hammered again from this post.

No Land 3
12-31-2017, 08:54 PM
Old timers seem to forget what it is like to work at a US regional, even a decent one... Getting international time in a MD11 or 747 elevates you in the world of piloting from a regional pilot that gets no respect. I could be in the jumpseat of a Delta 757, and the pilots want to hear about flying the 747 around the world. Flying an RJ? They could care less.

JohnBurke
01-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Old timers seem to forget what it is like to work at a US regional, even a decent one... Getting international time in a MD11 or 747 elevates you in the world of piloting from a regional pilot that gets no respect. I could be in the jumpseat of a Delta 757, and the pilots want to hear about flying the 747 around the world. Flying an RJ? They could care less.

You're suggesting bragging rights while jumpseating?

01-01-2018, 01:59 PM
I could care less what a mainline pilot thinks about me flying an RJ vs a 747. Which one will get me to a legacy first is what matters, not bragging rights.

Colt45
01-01-2018, 02:30 PM
It's a known fact that in "America", flying a wide body adds inches to your dick!!

pilot0987
01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
It's a known fact that in "America", flying a wide body adds inches to your dick!!

Inches around

01-01-2018, 04:49 PM
I could care less what a mainline pilot thinks about me flying an RJ vs a 747. Which one will get me to a legacy first is what matters, not bragging rights.

That would be at a regional with flow

Colt45
01-01-2018, 07:26 PM
If you're going to fly a wide body, have it be the 747.

No Land 3
01-01-2018, 09:04 PM
You're suggesting bragging rights while jumpseating?

No, what I am suggesting is that you are viewed as an equal, which is nice, coming from an RJ.

JohnBurke
01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
No, what I am suggesting is that you are viewed as an equal, which is nice, coming from an RJ.

So it's about image, then.

What difference does it make what the crew thinks of you if you're in their jumpseat? Are you seriously suggesting taking a job for the benefit of looking better, being considered an equal, or however you wish to parse it, while in the jump seat?

If that's your goal, it might work out for you. In my experience, having flown ACMI widebody international, when jumping, nobody cared who I flew for, and most had no idea who my employer was, when I told them.

It really comes down to your goal here. If you're after international experience, that's understandable, and if you're interested in experiencing a wide body airframe, ok. If you want to travel, look for variety, or see this as an opportunity with relatively short upgrade times, there's something. It's not a fast path to a major. I can't imagine the notion of seeking out a job however, in order to upgrade your appearance to the crew operating a flight on which you're jumpseating. Seems a tad overkill for a superficial, even vain benefit, if it could be considered a benefit at all, don't you think?

You're not likely to fly enough hours to fast track yourself anywhere, or to use the job as a stepping stone, so hiring on will need to be for the job itself, rather than some pass-through benefit. If it's about looking good to the cockpit crew of your jumpseat ride, it seems quite an effort to make for a very insignificant return...those impressed crewmembers (they won't be) aren't going to get you closer to an alternate goal.

Sounds like an advanced stage of shiny jet syndrome; big shiny jet syndrome.

I can think of a lot of good reasons to take the job. How it makes you look in passing to mainline crew isn't one of them.

No Land 3
01-02-2018, 07:13 AM

What difference does it make what the crew thinks of you if you're in their jumpseat? Are you seriously suggesting taking a job for the benefit of looking better, being considered an equal, or however you wish to parse it, while in the jump seat?

If that's your goal, it might work out for you. In my experience, having flown ACMI widebody international, when jumping, nobody cared who I flew for, and most had no idea who my employer was, when I told them.

It really comes down to your goal here. If you're after international experience, that's understandable, and if you're interested in experiencing a wide body airframe, ok. If you want to travel, look for variety, or see this as an opportunity with relatively short upgrade times, there's something. It's not a fast path to a major. I can't imagine the notion of seeking out a job however, in order to upgrade your appearance to the crew operating a flight on which you're jumpseating. Seems a tad overkill for a superficial, even vain benefit, if it could be considered a benefit at all, don't you think?

You're not likely to fly enough hours to fast track yourself anywhere, or to use the job as a stepping stone, so hiring on will need to be for the job itself, rather than some pass-through benefit. If it's about looking good to the cockpit crew of your jumpseat ride, it seems quite an effort to make for a very insignificant return...those impressed crewmembers (they won't be) aren't going to get you closer to an alternate goal.

I can think of a lot of good reasons to take the job. How it makes you look in passing to mainline crew isn't one of them.

I never sold it as a reason. Itís an afterthought, fringe benefit. Being treated with respect by fellow pilots is a good thing, something most of you take for granted having never flown for a regional or been so long since you have, youíve forgotten what its like.
Itís a real thing.

Almost There
01-02-2018, 07:42 AM
I never sold it as a reason. Itís an afterthought, fringe benefit. Being treated with respect by fellow pilots is a good thing, something most of you take for granted having never flown for a regional or been so long since you have, youíve forgotten what its like.
Itís a real thing.

Not dogging you here.
I flew regionals( back then AKA "commuters") flew ACMI and jumpseated either online or offline for 30+ years.
When the Captain welcomed me to ride on the JS or in the back, it was all the "respect" I needed, and I never took it for granted.
Good luck with gate agents though. Had more than a few who were not so helpful. Fly Safe.

maxjet
01-02-2018, 10:31 AM

I donít think no land 3 was talking about any of the things you disparage him for. I noticed the same thing he has after my first wide body type. All of a sudden major airline Captains wanted to talk to me about flying. Didnít do Adamn thing to enhance my career but it sure made the ride in the jump seat much more pleasurable. I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.

gumpscheck
01-02-2018, 10:44 AM
I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.

I would also tell my lead FA to seat you in my First Class section if we have an opening. 😬🤣

WinggedHussars
01-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I donít think no land 3 was talking about any of the things you disparage him for. I noticed the same thing he has after my first wide body type. All of a sudden major airline Captains wanted to talk to me about flying. Didnít do Adamn thing to enhance my career but it sure made the ride in the jump seat much more pleasurable. I also seemed to notice an increase in Captains who would personally tell the lead FA to put me in first if they had an opening. It is always better to be treated as a peer and not the hired help.

I too have noticed an instant change I mainline pilot attitudes toward me when I introduce myself as MD11 rather than 145.

It's obviously not a good reason to take a job barring all else, but, it is nice to be seen as a peer instead of a yong punk that works in the part of the business that contributed to your furlough back in 2002.

Need4speed21
01-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Do guys have EFBís over there at Western? Thanks

01-09-2018, 03:48 AM
they have 4g ipads, pm of you are thinking of interviewing

2018jet
01-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Is the 13 days off consecutive? If a pilot volunteers to extend their days on duty while on a trip affect other pilots that are starting their 17 days on? Does the company break up your 13 day segment stretch? Do you have to sign a training contract? What kind of hotels are you staying in? Are all crew meals provided? Is ground transportation used instead of a airline tickets to get you back to your base sometimes?

mothergoose
01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
I would really like to PM somebody in the company. I recently applied for spot and wondering who I could talk to about getting application looked at. Iíve already spent a lot of time flying around the world the past year in a Hawker 800. Been to every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Just luck of crew scheduleing. Iím ready to do these legs in a big jet and put some seniority down at a company

Need4speed21
01-17-2018, 04:54 PM
I would really like to PM somebody in the company. I recently applied for spot and wondering who I could talk to about getting application looked at. Iíve already spent a lot of time flying around the world the past year in a Hawker 800. Been to every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Just luck of crew scheduleing. Iím ready to do these legs in a big jet and put some seniority down at a company
Ií Been trying to get a interview also but no luck I guess the next step is to go to head quarters in Astero Fl and walk my resume since I live pretty close to them

No Land 3
01-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Ií Been trying to get a interview also but no luck I guess the next step is to go to head quarters in Astero Fl and walk my resume since I live pretty close to them

Iíve been told that they have a lot of resumes on file now and are being a bit more selective.

Front Office
05-27-2018, 03:18 PM
I have a few questions.

Can I PM someone who works there?

JohnBurke
05-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Try Estero. You'll get more traction.

Muredhawk
05-28-2018, 07:05 AM

Do that. Couldnít hurt

Out Of Trim
06-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Did you try that? If so, did it work?

Comforteagle76
09-20-2018, 08:43 PM
I too have noticed an instant change I mainline pilot attitudes toward me when I introduce myself as MD11 rather than 145.

It's obviously not a good reason to take a job barring all else, but, it is nice to be seen as a peer instead of a yong punk that works in the part of the business that contributed to your furlough back in 2002.
Just donít tell them how much you get paid cuz youíll notice an even quicker round of laughter..... ACMIs suck ass, they pay ****, they treat their people like ****, and are literally detrimental to your health.. no disrespect to guys that work there. If your young, go to the regionals and get hired by a major. Donít sell yourself short. Donít think that you donít deserve it. You DO deserve it!! Screw what some dude letting you ride in his jumpseat thinks of you. Seriously

JohnBurke
09-20-2018, 10:41 PM
no disrespect to guys that work there.

Actually, that was nothing but disrespect.

aviatorhi
09-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Just donít tell them how much you get paid cuz youíll notice an even quicker round of laughter..... ACMIs suck ass, they pay ****, they treat their people like ****, and are literally detrimental to your health.. no disrespect to guys that work there. If your young, go to the regionals and get hired by a major. Donít sell yourself short. Donít think that you donít deserve it. You DO deserve it!! Screw what some dude letting you ride in his jumpseat thinks of you. Seriously

You might want to remove the rectal headband before you pipe up again.

HercDriver130
09-21-2018, 03:10 AM

Remove your head from where a rectal thermometer goes.... you want have a freaking clue. And that was total disrespect.

No Land 3
09-21-2018, 03:26 AM
Funny, I feel the pax jobs are the crappy ones. Enjoy your crash pads, commuting, dealing with pax, gate agents, and multiple FAís on their period. Really, itís a regional job with better QOL, you can polish a turd only so much.

CaptianO
09-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Funny, I feel the pax jobs are the crappy ones. Enjoy your crash pads, commuting, dealing with pax, gate agents, and multiple FAís on their period. Really, itís a regional job with better QOL, you can polish a turd only so much.

I think we met lol. Are you in the class Monday?

No Land 3
09-21-2018, 10:01 PM
I think we met lol. Are you in the class Monday?
No, I'm over at K4, but you and I do the same job.

Danny738
10-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Updates ? Thanks in advance .

Comforteagle76
10-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Actually, that was nothing but disrespect.

Yup .... meant every word of it... ACMI sucks:eek:

Comforteagle76
10-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Yup .... meant every word of it... ACMI sucks:eek:

Hated every second of it!!

aviatorhi
10-27-2018, 12:14 AM

That's probably because you're a douchebag.

maxjet
10-27-2018, 02:48 AM
Just don’t tell them how much you get paid cuz you’ll notice an even quicker round of laughter..... ACMIs suck ass, they pay ****, they treat their people like ****, and are literally detrimental to your health.. no disrespect to guys that work there. If your young, go to the regionals and get hired by a major. Don’t sell yourself short. Don’t think that you don’t deserve it. You DO deserve it!! Screw what some dude letting you ride in his jumpseat thinks of you. Seriously

Can international flying be detrimental to your health? Yes absolutely, if you do not watch yourself. Passenger international flying was way more tiring than ACMI.

With pax it was, commute to work, fly 3 or 4 days in different time zones with very interrupted sleep on aircraft, commute home then repeat in a few days. THAT was hard on my health.

ACMI flying is different. THEY fly you from home. You stay out for in our (K4) case, 16 days. You eat and sleep uninterrupted on nice aircraft. Stay internationally in nice hotels. And work with great people. When done you go home for the remainder of the month.

Pay? We will have quite a few Pilot gross over 500k this year

Treatment? Our Union, and Chief Pilots office work very well together.

Upgrades? Just went to 1 year on certain equipment.

I loved pax flying when I did it. However I am still kicking myself for not coming to ACMI sooner

No Land 3
10-27-2018, 05:41 AM
Can international flying be detrimental to your health? Yes absolutely, if you do not watch yourself. Passenger international flying was way more tiring than ACMI.

With pax it was, commute to work, fly 3 or 4 days in different time zones with very interrupted sleep on aircraft, commute home then repeat in a few days. THAT was hard on my health.

ACMI flying is different. THEY fly you from home. You stay out for in our (K4) case, 16 days. You eat and sleep uninterrupted on nice aircraft. Stay internationally in nice hotels. And work with great people. When done you go home for the remainder of the month.

Pay? We will have quite a few Pilot gross over 500k this year

Treatment? Our Union, and Chief Pilots office work very well together.

Upgrades? Just went to 1 year on certain equipment.

I loved pax flying when I did it. However I am still kicking myself for not coming to ACMI sooner

I am starting to think that K4 should be considered ACMI+
I have two friends at Western Global, they seem to love it, living in Miami. They don't make what we do at K4, but they are home for more time.

JohnBurke
10-27-2018, 08:11 AM

6 whole posts to your name and not an element of contribution or value in any of them.

If you insist on consuming oxygen that others might use, make some effort to actually contribute to a conversation. Your failure rate presently is at -6.

10-27-2018, 06:10 PM
people are gone more at wga than they are at k4. people are happy at wga.

Comforteagle76
10-28-2018, 07:38 AM
6 whole posts to your name and not an element of contribution or value in any of them.

If you insist on consuming oxygen that others might use, make some effort to actually contribute to a conversation. Your failure rate presently is at -6.
Wow... 2000. + posts to my six.....Get a life bro....

Comforteagle76
10-28-2018, 08:55 AM
That's probably because you're a douchebag.:D:) I guess Iím a douche cuz I hated a job with no QOL, horrible pay, horrible MX.... list goes on

maxjet
10-28-2018, 02:43 PM
:D:) I guess Iím a douche cuz I hated a job with no QOL, horrible pay, horrible MX.... list goes on

If you worked there because of a weak industry and there was nothing else I understand. If you didnít, then that speaks volumes of your evaluation skills.

JohnBurke
10-28-2018, 04:14 PM
:D:) I guess Iím a douche cuz I hated a job with no QOL, horrible pay, horrible MX.... list goes on

You worked for Western Global Airlines?

You're a "douche" because of what you type, and your attitude. It has nothing to do with your career failures.

captjns
10-29-2018, 05:45 AM
The best part of ACMI is that many times I did not know where my next adventure was taking me. Not every place was a garden spot on the planet... true. However, we always made the best of where ever we went. Sometimes we had to observe State Department protocols as it related to security. Although most times is was an all expense paid vacation. Ground handlers, in most destinations, took good care of us as far as what to see, and reputable saloons to visit. Made a lot of friends along the way in many locations.

Yeah we had mechanical issues on the road, especially in places where we’d rather not be, however we all leant a hand with the PFE to get the jet out in one piece. I guess years back there was more camaraderie than today, while still today, the less desirable spots do exist.

Yeah the pay wasn’t the greatest. Yeah the hotels weren’t 7 star. Yeah the jets weren’t shiny and new.... But I wouldn’t trade the ACMI experience I had. Great flying experience.

aviatorhi
10-29-2018, 04:17 PM

As above... you're a douche because of what you write. It's one thing if you had problems with an individual company, it's another when you try to attack an entire sector of the industry; most ACMI pilots these days enjoy excellent pay and MX, and QOL is subjective.

Comforteagle76
10-29-2018, 07:34 PM
As above... you're a douche because of what you write. It's one thing if you had problems with an individual company, it's another when you try to attack an entire sector of the industry; most ACMI pilots these days enjoy excellent pay and MX, and QOL is subjective.
Way to think for yourself buddy:D:D:D

Comforteagle76
10-29-2018, 07:35 PM
You worked for Western Global Airlines?

You're a "douche" because of what you type, and your attitude. It has nothing to do with your career failures. youíre to easy:D:D

aviatorhi
10-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Thanks for repeatedly proving my point.

JohnBurke
10-30-2018, 03:22 AM
you’re to easy

Not at all, and it's "too," brightspark.

Given your inability to offer intelligent, meaningful contribution in any way, shape or form, and your ongoing waste of bandwidth, this is much easier:

This message is hidden because Comforteagle76 is on your ignore list.

KA350Driver
11-22-2018, 06:40 PM
Bump

Whatís going on with these guys. Still worth taking a look at?

Cujo665
11-24-2018, 09:39 AM

I agree.
Home basing
Keeping all air miles
Keeping hotel points
Never crashpading
Being able to get a almost a month off simply by creative bidding without using any vacation time

A few ACMIís are the best kept secret in the industry in my opinion. K4, Omni & now WGA

aviatorhi
11-24-2018, 10:27 AM
I agree.
Home basing
Keeping all air miles
Keeping hotel points
Never crashpading
Being able to get a almost a month off simply by creative bidding without using any vacation time

A few ACMIís are the best kept secret in the industry in my opinion. K4, Omni & now WGA

Shhh. Don't tell the douchenozzles.

CaptDave
11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
....douchenozzles....

...thatís German for ďawesomeĒ, right?😜

be76flyer
11-27-2018, 07:05 PM
I agree.
Home basing
Keeping all air miles
Keeping hotel points
Never crashpading

What the hell are you talking about? WGA is owned by the Neff's, nothing owned by the Neff's will be good. WGA is a bottom feeder getting flying nobody else wants to do. You are new to the ACMI world and need to talk less and listen to the guys that have been around the world a few hundred times.

KA350Driver
11-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Why are they a bottom feeder?

WhipWhitaker
11-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Why are they a bottom feeder?

Every ACMI is a bottom feeder, every single one. Some pay marginally better than others, each has their own advantages and disadvantages over other ACMI gigs, but by every single measure they are lightyears below the big 3 + UPS and FedEx. If you feel otherwise youíre kidding yourself. Better than a regional? Probably...if you live in a major cargo hub. If not, toss up.

JohnBurke
11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Every ACMI is a bottom feeder, every single one. Some pay marginally better than others, each has their own advantages and disadvantages over other ACMI gigs, but by every single measure they are lightyears below the big 3 + UPS and FedEx. If you feel otherwise youíre kidding yourself. Better than a regional? Probably...if you live in a major cargo hub. If not, toss up.

Do you fly for an ACMI outfit, or is this vitriol borne of something more than arrogance, snobbery, and an overinflated sense of self?

be76flyer
11-27-2018, 09:03 PM
Do you fly for an ACMI outfit, or is this vitriol borne of something more than arrogance, snobbery, and an overinflated sense of self?

I am a CA at a ACMI airline, and to a point he isn't wrong. I think most people would say ABX likely has the best CBA right now and I think they are on year 10 of their 5 year CBA, and it is light years behind UPS, FEDEX and the 121 Pax Airlines. So the best CBA is still not as good as Spirit let alone one of the big three.

JohnBurke
11-27-2018, 09:04 PM
I am a CA at a ACMI airline, and to a point he isn't wrong. I think most people would say ABX likely has the best CBA right now and I think they are on year 10 of their 5 year CBA, and it is light years behind UPS, FEDEX and the 121 Pax Airlines. So the best CBA is still not as good as Spirit let alone one of the big three.

ACMI operations aren't UPS or FedEx. Best expressed as "duh."

Thank you ACMI Captain Obvious.

This does not make them "bottom feeders," nor those who work for them a lesser species.

Locke
11-27-2018, 09:52 PM
ACMI operations aren't UPS or FedEx. Best expressed as "duh."

Thank you ACMI Captain Obvious.

This does not make them "bottom feeders," nor those who work for them a lesser species.

Theyíre posturing for a new contract, so the sky is falling, and everyone in the industry is garbage. When it passes everything is right in the world. Rinse repeat.

WhipWhitaker
11-27-2018, 11:41 PM

I do and it is. Try not to take it so personally. I actually enjoy my job, and donít think ACMI is the slave ship that itís made out to be. But to say that any ACMI is the ďbest kept secretĒ or offers ANY advantage in QOL, compensation, retirement, vacation, scheduling, insurance, or travel benefits over the big 3 or UPS + FedEx is insane. Guys really think that because Atlas or Connie or WG buys you a $600 ticket to/from work every month that it is a better job than a non ACMI? You really think you canít get 13 days off in a row anywhere but an ACMI carrier?

Rolloutflare
11-28-2018, 03:12 AM
At my ACMI, I like bidding back to back lines. Bad side 36 days in a row, but I look forward to a minimum of 24 days in a row OFF and with creative bidding or know flying lines I can possibly make it 35 days OFF. Include vacation in that I have achieved 75 days OFF in a row. You can keep those 3 days ON 4 days OFF rotations fighting for non rev seats going to work on a few of those off days.

Cujo665
11-28-2018, 05:09 AM
At my ACMI, I like bidding back to back lines. Bad side 36 days in a row, but I look forward to a minimum of 24 days in a row OFF and with creative bidding or know flying lines I can possibly make it 35 days OFF. Include vacation in that I have achieved 75 days OFF in a row. You can keep those 3 days ON 4 days OFF rotations fighting for non rev seats going to work on a few of those off days.

I’ve done that too when we wanted to take a nice long family vacation without using vacation time, except our back to back is 32 days. Then factor in real airline tickets (award miles) and free decent hotels (award points) and its even that much better than 4/3 and 3/4’s.... add in never ever needing a crash pad and it’s a win win.

Boris Badenov
11-28-2018, 05:58 AM
Well, yeah, but then you get paid half as much and donít have a retirement. So maybe itís a win win lose lose? Someone mentioned above taking this personally. Guys who were born at the wrong time and through no fault of their own got stuck at a regional for life are still better off than 99.99% of humanity, at least in material terms. It is not an assault on your character or Success to point out that FedEx is concretely a better employer for 99.99% of pilots than, say, ATI.

WAMapproach
11-28-2018, 06:18 AM
Well, yeah, but then you get paid half as much and donít have a retirement. So maybe itís a win win lose lose? Someone mentioned above taking this personally. Guys who were born at the wrong time and through no fault of their own got stuck at a regional for life are still better off than 99.99% of humanity, at least in material terms. It is not an assault on your character or Success to point out that FedEx is concretely a better employer for 99.99% of pilots than, say, ATI.

Well said.

JohnBurke
11-28-2018, 06:32 AM
I do and it is. Try not to take it so personally. I actually enjoy my job, and donít think ACMI is the slave ship that itís made out to be. But to say that any ACMI is the ďbest kept secretĒ or offers ANY advantage in QOL, compensation, retirement, vacation, scheduling, insurance, or travel benefits over the big 3 or UPS + FedEx is insane. Guys really think that because Atlas or Connie or WG buys you a $600 ticket to/from work every month that it is a better job than a non ACMI? You really think you canít get 13 days off in a row anywhere but an ACMI carrier?

I don't take it personally. Just not a fan of hubris.

I said nothing about slave ship, nor have I ever said "best kept secret."

Many of those doing ACMI aren't going to wind up hiring on to UPS, et al. Not everyone does, not everyone gets to, not every can, not everyone is qualified. To insinuate that those working for ACMI, or the employers themselves are somehow "bottom feeders," is pure, unadulterated horse ****, arrogant hubris.

You quoted me and asked if I really think one can't get 13 days off anywhere than an ACMI carrier. As I said no such thing, nor insinuated such, do you really think you should attribute your words to me? Start with honesty. It will get you much more traction.

Dance with the one that brung ya. There are a lot of people working for ACMI carriers who are stellar individuals, who have been doing it a long time and who are outstanding aviators. Let's not be putting them down, or their employers, simply because they don't earn as much.

I've worked for a lot of employers over the years. Some paid very well, some not so well. When I accepted a wage, I didn't whine or ***** about it once I took the job. I did the job, and I made every effort to like the job and carry a good attitude. What I never did was look down on the neighbor and berate them because they weren't doing as well as I.

I can make six figures and get six months off flying a single engine airplane and take a significant pay cut to go to many of these operators. It's a different kind of flying, and a comparison is not to be made. It's not a slight on the operators, or what they do, or what I do. Different jobs, different aircraft, different people, different skill sets, and very different mentalities.

There's no question that there are and have been less desirable operators located in Miami. This particular thread is about WGA, which is not a "scum bag operator." I submit that if one doesn't wish to work for WGA (or any other operator), then nobody is placing the muzzle of a gun to that person's forehead and forcing the issue. Work elsewhere. Be free. Be happy. No need to **** on the other guy. Don't like his schedule? Don't like his pay? Don't like his wife, his cherios, his pizza? You don't need to fly it, earn it, marry her, or eat it. Problem solved. Move on.

I don't think the employee of a single ACMI operator has any doubt that there's not room for improvement; often, substantial room.

A curiosity that has intrigued me as I've followed the various threads, be it cargo, major, regional, corporate, fractional, etc, is that there is virtually no complaining from the WGA guys...all the whining and all the *****ing comes from outside sources. All the put-downs, too. In fact, the WGA guys, for whatever reason, stand out somewhat in that regard. Is it because they don't bother to post, or are afraid to do so, or are satisfied, or have better things to do? No idea, but this simple fact as stood out to me more than any other about that particular group, and I find it interesting.

At no time have I hinted to, pointed at, or insinuated that ACMI is better, for any reason, but you don't hear me tearing it down. When people move up the food chain, so to speak, to higher wages and more prestige, I'm perpetually sickened by their need to look down their noses at the rest of the world, beaks which are often stuck so high in the air that it must be snowing on their feeble brains. Enough. Perhaps when one becomes so proud of one's self to activate that gene, the rest of the world looks like trash. Funny thing is, verbalizing that sad mentality only speaks to the poster, not the landscape.

Someone asked about WGA, its hiring and what it has to offer, and the peanut gallery has nothing to offer but insults, put downs, and disparagement. Does a single one of them actually work for WGA or have anything to offer the poster who asked for help? Bueller? Bueller?

I'd like to hear the answer too...from someone who actually works there.

CardboardCutout
11-28-2018, 07:57 AM
I don't work there, but I have spoken (in person) to people who do, and they all seemed reasonably happy. I would note also that none of them seemed to plan on retiring there. Make of that what you will.

WhipWhitaker
11-28-2018, 08:41 AM
I don't take it personally. Just not a fan of hubris.

I said nothing about slave ship, nor have I ever said "best kept secret."

Many of those doing ACMI aren't going to wind up hiring on to UPS, et al. Not everyone does, not everyone gets to, not every can, not everyone is qualified. To insinuate that those working for ACMI, or the employers themselves are somehow "bottom feeders," is pure, unadulterated horse ****, arrogant hubris.

You quoted me and asked if I really think one can't get 13 days off anywhere than an ACMI carrier. As I said no such thing, nor insinuated such, do you really think you should attribute your words to me? Start with honesty. It will get you much more traction.

Dance with the one that brung ya. There are a lot of people working for ACMI carriers who are stellar individuals, who have been doing it a long time and who are outstanding aviators. Let's not be putting them down, or their employers, simply because they don't earn as much.

I've worked for a lot of employers over the years. Some paid very well, some not so well. When I accepted a wage, I didn't whine or ***** about it once I took the job. I did the job, and I made every effort to like the job and carry a good attitude. What I never did was look down on the neighbor and berate them because they weren't doing as well as I.

I can make six figures and get six months off flying a single engine airplane and take a significant pay cut to go to many of these operators. It's a different kind of flying, and a comparison is not to be made. It's not a slight on the operators, or what they do, or what I do. Different jobs, different aircraft, different people, different skill sets, and very different mentalities.

There's no question that there are and have been less desirable operators located in Miami. This particular thread is about WGA, which is not a "scum bag operator." I submit that if one doesn't wish to work for WGA (or any other operator), then nobody is placing the muzzle of a gun to that person's forehead and forcing the issue. Work elsewhere. Be free. Be happy. No need to **** on the other guy. Don't like his schedule? Don't like his pay? Don't like his wife, his cherios, his pizza? You don't need to fly it, earn it, marry her, or eat it. Problem solved. Move on.

I don't think the employee of a single ACMI operator has any doubt that there's not room for improvement; often, substantial room.

A curiosity that has intrigued me as I've followed the various threads, be it cargo, major, regional, corporate, fractional, etc, is that there is virtually no complaining from the WGA guys...all the whining and all the *****ing comes from outside sources. All the put-downs, too. In fact, the WGA guys, for whatever reason, stand out somewhat in that regard. Is it because they don't bother to post, or are afraid to do so, or are satisfied, or have better things to do? No idea, but this simple fact as stood out to me more than any other about that particular group, and I find it interesting.

At no time have I hinted to, pointed at, or insinuated that ACMI is better, for any reason, but you don't hear me tearing it down. When people move up the food chain, so to speak, to higher wages and more prestige, I'm perpetually sickened by their need to look down their noses at the rest of the world, beaks which are often stuck so high in the air that it must be snowing on their feeble brains. Enough. Perhaps when one becomes so proud of one's self to activate that gene, the rest of the world looks like trash. Funny thing is, verbalizing that sad mentality only speaks to the poster, not the landscape.

Someone asked about WGA, its hiring and what it has to offer, and the peanut gallery has nothing to offer but insults, put downs, and disparagement. Does a single one of them actually work for WGA or have anything to offer the poster who asked for help? Bueller? Bueller?

I'd like to hear the answer too...from someone who actually works there.

Not all ACMIs pilots are bottom feeders, but ALL ACMI operators as a whole are bottom feeders. The rest of your rambling was too long, strange and incoherent to read.

JohnBurke
11-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Not all ACMIs pilots are bottom feeders, but ALL ACMI operators as a whole are bottom feeders.

There's that arrogant hubris. You don't disappoint.

The rest of your rambling was too long, strange and incoherent to read.

And there's that lack of reading comprehension. Work on that.

Riverside
11-28-2018, 11:40 AM
There's that arrogant hubris. You don't disappoint.

And there's that lack of reading comprehension. Work on that.

You did ramble. I got tired of reading it as well.

Roverruckus
11-28-2018, 04:20 PM
The WGA chat seems pretty quiet compared to some of the other ACMI companies, so I guess that can be taken as a good thing. But looking at what they have to offer they seem kinda of behind on a lot of aspects. 17 days on, Junior manning, Economy tickets, daily payrates that make it impossible to credit more without working into your days off. Am I missing the forest for the trees or are my assumptions pretty correct estimating the lifestyle of WGA folks?

goinaround
11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
The WGA chat seems pretty quiet compared to some of the other ACMI companies, so I guess that can be taken as a good thing. But looking at what they have to offer they seem kinda of behind on a lot of aspects. 17 days on, Junior manning, Economy tickets, daily payrates that make it impossible to credit more without working into your days off. Am I missing the forest for the trees or are my assumptions pretty correct estimating the lifestyle of WGA folks?

I feel as if your assumptions are correct. Based on their daily rate...the way I see it you're flying for free past about the fourth hour. I certainly do not intend this to be a shot at the WGA guys/gals.

No Land 3
11-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some of us LOVE the mission a heck of a lot more than what is offered by purple, brown, AA, UA, and DL?
Besides all that, I have absolutely nothing to be upset or bitter about. I don't give a crap if some one else pays more, or has this or that. I have far exceeded my expectations in life in regards to income, QOL, and lifestyle, working at my "bottom feeder". I only feel gratitude, and have a smile on my face every time I come into work. If you hate it where you are, make a change.

WhipWhitaker
11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some of us LOVE the mission a heck of a lot more than what is offered by purple, brown, AA, UA, and DL?
Besides all that, I have absolutely nothing to be upset or bitter about. I don't give a crap if some one else pays more, or has this or that. I have far exceeded my expectations in life in regards to income, QOL, and lifestyle, working at my "bottom feeder". I only feel gratitude, and have a smile on my face every time I come into work. If you hate it where you are, make a change.

Nothing wrong with being happy, I am happy at Atlas, would only consider leaving for Brown or Purple. Glad youíre happy where you are, but if FedEx or UPS had more like you, theyíd still be the worst paid pilots in the industry. For most of us (in real life, not APC) this is just a job. The ďmissionĒ does not exist. The most dollars made for the least amount of time at work wins. Connie hit the jackpot with you.

No Land 3
11-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Nothing wrong with being happy, I am happy at Atlas, would only consider leaving for Brown or Purple. Glad youíre happy where you are, but if FedEx or UPS had more like you, theyíd still be the worst paid pilots in the industry. For most of us (in real life, not APC) this is just a job. The ďmissionĒ does not exist. The most dollars made for the least amount of time at work wins. Connie hit the jackpot with you.
Why do I feel like I own the Florida Marlins, and the Red Sox owner is giving me crap for not being at his level?

JohnBurke
11-28-2018, 11:01 PM
For most of us (in real life, not APC) this is just a job. The ďmissionĒ does not exist. The most dollars made for the least amount of time at work wins. Connie hit the jackpot with you.

I've been flying the "mission for decades. The target has changed, whether fire in Montana, medical supplies in africa, assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan, Cargo to Louisville and Memphis both, and emergency medical flights in the dead of night for burn victims. I don't do this job for the "mission," but it's very integral to what I do.

I never entered flying to do the least amount of work, and I never have. I never want to. I began flying because I want to fly. That hasn't changed. If you don't want to fly and will do anything you can to avoid it, so be it. Clearly you look down your nose at those who don't share your aspiration, which is unfortunate for you.

captjns
11-29-2018, 03:51 AM
I've been flying the "mission for decades. The target has changed, whether fire in Montana, medical supplies in africa, assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan, Cargo to Louisville and Memphis both, and emergency medical flights in the dead of night for burn victims. I don't do this job for the "mission," but it's very integral to what I do.

I never entered flying to do the least amount of work, and I never have. I never want to. I began flying because I want to fly. That hasn't changed. If you don't want to fly and will do anything you can to avoid it, so be it. Clearly you look down your nose at those who don't share your aspiration, which is unfortunate for you.

I chose flying because I hate working for a living.:). In the 45+ years, never considered it as work, no matter the weather conditions. I buggered off to the next adventure when I suspected and or if the T & Cís, QOL and benefits were tampered with. Simple... no drama... and todayís demand for crews should be more of a comedy rather than drama.

JohnBurke
11-29-2018, 09:36 AM
I chose flying because I hate working for a living.:). In the 45+ years, never considered it as work, no matter the weather conditions. I buggered off to the next adventure when I suspected and or if the T & Cís, QOL and benefits were tampered with. Simple... no drama... and todayís demand for crews should be more of a comedy rather than drama.

"Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

--Mark Twain.

maxjet
11-29-2018, 11:58 AM

You are missing the forest. People in general, in order to be happy only want a few things. They want to work at a job doing something they donít generally consider work(Flying). They want to be treated with respect by their employer. They want to be part of something that is evolving.

Herb at Southwest figured that out so many years ago and built a pretty successful airline.

In the end, happy people do not care a lot about how much they work or how much they are paid unless one of the above things is missing. Pilots on this board spend way too much time writing about the negative aspects.

Perhaps WGA represents that for those folks just like K4 is for me.

anothermember
11-29-2018, 04:31 PM
I was at Atlas for a year. I'd bid and get awarded 75 to 85 hour lines. At the end of the month I'd be sent home early and end up with 50 hours pay. Four days of home reserve for no pay, that's great. The last two months I told them to either give me some trips now or don't bother calling, I'm not going to hang by the phone if I'm not paid. They never called.

If they're ****ing on you there is no reason to open your mouth.

No Land 3
11-29-2018, 07:48 PM
I was at Atlas for a year. I'd bid and get awarded 75 to 85 hour lines. At the end of the month I'd be sent home early and end up with 50 hours pay. Four days of home reserve for no pay, that's great. The last two months I told them to either give me some trips now or don't bother calling, I'm not going to hang by the phone if I'm not paid. They never called.

If they're ****ing on you there is no reason to open your mouth.

So come to K4

Kerizbro
12-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Can anybody compare 1st FO pay here to k4? Iím guessing the pay is similar but k4 guys work less. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

No Land 3
12-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Can anybody compare 1st FO pay here to k4? Iím guessing the pay is similar but k4 guys work less. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Without even trying, you should gross over 130k your first full year at K4 with the current flying.

KA350Driver
12-05-2018, 09:14 PM
What are Western Global pilots grossing year one?

Kerizbro
12-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Without even trying, you should gross over 130k your first full year at K4 with the current flying.

Is this on the 74 or 76?

Im typed on the first, would that matter when it comes to be selected for an aircraft?

Locke
12-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Is this on the 74 or 76?

Im typed on the first, would that matter when it comes to be selected for an aircraft?

Thatís on the 74. The 76 guys only make guarantee. Youíll be asked at the interview what your fleet preference is.

Now back to Western Global questions

KA350Driver
12-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Now back to Western Global questions

Soooooo, what can a 1st year Western guy expect to make?

What are the upgrade times looking like?

Is it a decent place to make a lifelong career?

No Land 3
12-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Soooooo, what can a 1st year Western guy expect to make?

What are the upgrade times looking like?

Is it a decent place to make a lifelong career?

Two of my friends work there and one told me he expected to make 96k his first year.

Asiabound
12-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Keep in mind they are also factoring in per diem and 401k match as pay, or are on the road 23 days per month to make that much.

JohnBurke
12-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Keep in mind they are also factoring in per diem and 401k match as pay, or are on the road 23 days per month to make that much.

382 X 18 Days = 6876
572 X 2 Days = 1146
764 X 3 days = 2292
60 X 23 days = 1380
Total. 11694/mo

12 months X 11694/mo = 140,328

That's based on the advertised rates for WGA, without factoring in 401K match, for the 23 days you cited. Run the numbers yourself.

Use the APC airline profile numbers.

First 18 days at base rate, first year 382/day
Second 2 days at 1.5 times daily rate
Subsequent days at 2.0 times daily rate
Per Diem at 60/day (100/day when it goes into following month)

Based on that, with the monthly 17 days, is 77,982 first year pay, before per diem.

17 days per diem at 60/day is 12,240 for the year

Total, counting per diem, is 90,222.

Some count per diem, some don't. Given that it's untaxed and that much of it isn't used, it is a form of income, whether one counts it or not. It's not wage, but most pilots don't consume their per diem on the road.

Those are the numbers; the question remains, what are pilots actually getting?

The previous number of 96 thousand doesn't sound unreasonable. If 23 days are flown as you suggest, however, for a first year pilot, then it's considerably more than 96 grand.

Asiabound
12-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Well yes and no I guess. Are they still doing training pay? (I'm asking, I haven't paid attention) I hear the OE wait is long these day also.

jungle driver
12-07-2018, 12:40 PM
What if any kind of catering do you WGA guys get when operating a flight?

Riverside
12-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Would this be a dealbreaker for you?

No Land 3
12-07-2018, 05:30 PM

It would be for me

jungle driver
12-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Not at all, was just curious.

captjns
12-08-2018, 05:55 AM

Cognac (for dead head crews) and bread sticks for all;)

KA350Driver
12-08-2018, 06:02 AM
How often do guys fly 23 day lines?

WhipWhitaker
12-08-2018, 06:58 AM
What do you guys have for crew rest facilities?

No Land 3
12-09-2018, 05:01 AM
My friend just updated me... From May til now, he has made 110k. 19k just last month. He does some OT.

gsphuntr
12-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Iím just curious, do those of you working 18-23 days straight have spouses? Children? Lives outside of work?

ďSometime extra cash, is just too expensiveĒ

No Land 3
12-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Iím just curious, do those of you working 18-23 days straight have spouses? Children? Lives outside of work?

Money isn't #1, once you cross a certain threshold. At K4, if I do any OT, I'll do it at the end of the trip, and only if I feel like it and the wife says it is ok. More times than not, I'm ready to go home on day 16

WhipWhitaker
12-09-2018, 06:15 AM

Bingo. Thatís why this and every ACMI job will always be sub par.

No Land 3
12-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Bingo. Thatís why this and every ACMI job will always be sub par.
Sub par is walking around in a monkey suit in airport terminals

maxjet
12-09-2018, 08:51 AM
I’m just curious, do those of you working 18-23 days straight have spouses? Children? Lives outside of work?

“Sometime extra cash, is just too expensive”

For you maybe it is. For others maybe not. Why this insistence to put others down. Because you are superior? Before you go off on me for blah, blah, blah, perhaps you should consider text and tone.

How about writing, because of the need to work extra days to get the same amount of money my airline pays me, ACMI wouldn’t work for my lifestyle.

That wasn’t so hard was it? Unless, of course you are so insecure that you must be critical of others to validate your own decisions. I have no reason to believe that this represents your situation as I don’t know you. If in fact it does represent you, then maybe it would be more productive if you and others who fit this situation would just ****.

12-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Sub par is walking around in a monkey suit in airport terminals

Tell that to a DAL captain making $500k a year.

No Land 3
12-10-2018, 04:28 AM

He can have it, rather make 300k and not have to do that.

maxjet
12-10-2018, 06:01 AM
He can have it, rather make 300k and not have to do that.

Really? For an extra 200k I would wear a clown suit�� of course we have some senior pilots who will gross over 600 this year. They don’t go home much.

JohnBurke
12-10-2018, 06:18 AM

I don't give two ****s what the delta captain is doing. It's his life, let him do as he wishes.

If someone entered the business to make as much money as they can and fly as little as they can, bully for them.

Not all of us entered flying to do that. Personally I began flying because I wanted to fly as much as possible.

As for a life outside of the job, there's plenty. This year I've had nearly three months off with no duties at all, thanks to the job. That's three months non-stop, nothing to do but go shoot steel competitions, tinker, spend time at a resort with the wife, travel to see kids, even do other work.

I've got Christmas off, and Thanksgiving off. Each of the kids birthdays off. The wife's birthda. off. Our anniversary off. I spent five days in Brazil where my hardest choice was where to eat next. Same in Chile. Two weeks in Europe, and so on.

Five hundred grand is nice, and everyone who does ACMI understands that it doesn't pay what the delta captain is getting. Big, ****ing deal. Seriously.

Not everybody grows up with the privilege, not everyone wants it, and no, money is not everything. Not by a long shot.

Those who are so arrogant as to peer down their noses at everyone else must really believe that the world envies them. What a hollow existence.

KA350Driver
12-10-2018, 01:15 PM
This place is miserable. I just want to know if Western is a decent company worth applying to. Iíll be applying to the ACMIs in the next year or so. Majors are probably a bridge to far for me right now without a 4 year.

nitefr8dog
12-10-2018, 01:51 PM
I don't give two ****s what the delta captain is doing. It's his life, let him do as he wishes.

If someone entered the business to make as much money as they can and fly as little as they can, bully for them.

Not all of us entered flying to do that. Personally I began flying because I wanted to fly as much as possible.

As for a life outside of the job, there's plenty. This year I've had nearly three months off with no duties at all, thanks to the job. That's three months non-stop, nothing to do but go shoot steel competitions, tinker, spend time at a resort with the wife, travel to see kids, even do other work.

I've got Christmas off, and Thanksgiving off. Each of the kids birthdays off. The wife's birthda. off. Our anniversary off. I spent five days in Brazil where my hardest choice was where to eat next. Same in Chile. Two weeks in Europe, and so on.

Five hundred grand is nice, and everyone who does ACMI understands that it doesn't pay what the delta captain is getting. Big, ****ing deal. Seriously.

Not everybody grows up with the privilege, not everyone wants it, and no, money is not everything. Not by a long shot.

Those who are so arrogant as to peer down their noses at everyone else must really believe that the world envies them. What a hollow existence.
Everyone has a different view of whats important and why they got into avaition in the first place.

Being senior and having 4 weeks of vacation a year and is great ...easy to get 5 weeks in a row off 4 times a year. Means nothing to the junior guys who are gone 17 days in a row and starving and buy their vacation back and work it to make ends meet.

The reality is...most people are in this line of work for...wait for it....MONEY. That is why they leave their regional job with super seniority and great schedules or their 135 gig that gets them home every night...MONEY..paying the bills is much more important than 30 days off in a row. Seeing your kids eat and having the electric on becomes paramount.

I decided along time ago as 90 percent of new hires are doing today I want to make as much money as possible for every minute that I was away from home. Screw the I just love to fly crap! I love to fly my 172 to a fly in breakfast on my days off and buy 5$ pancakes and tell hanger lies a whole lot more....400k a year gets me out of here alot quicker. YMMV and I really don't care..as you said at the beginning..I really don't give a $#!t! JMO

JohnBurke
12-11-2018, 12:00 AM
This place is miserable. I just want to know if Western is a decent company worth applying to.

If it's so miserable, why would you believe a word that's spoken?

There are numerous threads started here by pilots of various operators. Many of them for no other purpose than to tell everyone to stay away, vitriol complaining about the company, the schedulers, the hotels, the food, the pay, the time away, yada, yada, yada.

***** sessions every one.

Have you seen a single one started by WGA pilots?

Make of that what you will.

vroll1800
12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Have you seen a single one started by WGA pilots?

Make of that what you will.

Maybe because WGA pilots are too [email protected]#n busy flying (regular schedule plus a bunch of open flying) to take the time for APC posting. :rolleyes:

No Land 3
12-12-2018, 06:19 AM
Maybe because WGA pilots are too [email protected]#n busy flying (regular schedule plus a bunch of open flying) to take the time for APC posting. :rolleyes:

My WGA friend is extremely happy with his job, just talked to him yesterday. No, he isn't flying his tail off, he was actually too busy partying in South America surrounded by Venezuelan knockouts. It would seem that there's two different ACMI worlds... Kalitta/WGA and everyone else.

Cujo665
12-12-2018, 08:24 AM
My WGA friend is extremely happy with his job, just talked to him yesterday. No, he isn't flying his tail off, he was actually too busy partying in South America surrounded by Venezuelan knockouts. It would seem that there's two different ACMI worlds... Kalitta/Omni/WGA and everyone else.

Fixed it for ya

nitefr8dog
12-12-2018, 09:12 AM
My WGA friend is extremely happy with his job, just talked to him yesterday. No, he isn't flying his tail off, he was actually too busy partying in South America surrounded by Venezuelan knockouts. It would seem that there's no different ACMI worlds... Kalitta/WGA/OMNI/ABX and whomever else has long layovers and seeks out great beer!.

And again....

iropman
12-12-2018, 09:41 AM
I'm looking for some general info on WGA. Can someone who works for the company care to PM me?

No Land 3
12-12-2018, 11:18 AM
And again....

I read the ABX thread, how do you think people are going to view working there today?

nitefr8dog
12-12-2018, 07:41 PM
I read the ABX thread, how do you think people are going to view working there today?
Hopefully badly....

FmrPropCapt
12-20-2018, 11:01 AM
What's the new 401k match I see advertised on the pay page here?

cookie sheet
01-04-2019, 07:26 PM
My WGA friend is extremely happy with his job, just talked to him yesterday. No, he isn't flying his tail off, he was actually too busy partying in South America surrounded by Venezuelan knockouts. It would seem that there's two different ACMI worlds... Kalitta/WGA and everyone else.

Putting us at the same level as K4 and OAI is laughable.

No Land 3
01-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Putting us at the same level as K4 and OAI is laughable.

I group airlines by how happy their pilots are, not what some spreadsheet says.

cookie sheet
01-04-2019, 08:46 PM
I group airlines by how happy their pilots are, not what some spreadsheet says.

I do too....

No Land 3
01-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I do too....
If my friends are painting an inaccurate impression of WGA, you need to step up and say so.

cookie sheet
01-04-2019, 09:13 PM
If my friends are painting an inaccurate impression of WGA, you need to step up and say so.

Some are happy, plenty aren't. WGA has ratty jets with a plethora of deferrals, pressure from management on the pilots to "make things work", sitting in a middle couch seat on a 14 hour international deadhead, constantly changing company "policies", no contract/representation, etc.

captjns
01-05-2019, 05:37 AM
At the end I of the day, its a paycheck, a means to build time, accrue international experience, maintain currency, and longer layovers to polish that “Pulitzer Prize” of a CV, until that red letter day is delivered from the next dream job on the ladder.

During the interim the menu of life is limited... make the most of the current situation, or b!tch and moan and make the rest of those who fly with you as miserable as you.

cookie sheet
01-06-2019, 08:16 AM
I almost forgot to mention no hazard pay.

74Freighter
01-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Some are happy, plenty aren't. WGA has ratty jets with a plethora of deferrals, pressure from management on the pilots to "make things work", sitting in a middle couch seat on a 14 hour international deadhead, constantly changing company "policies", no contract/representation, etc.

They warned you about everything at the interview, they don't hide it and you weren't complaining. You had better chances to get hired by majors from commuters, that's who they seem to hire mostly. If you are at WGN than you really wanted to be here and accepted the terms. But you changed after you got hired. Go somewhere else, it's hard to fly with cry babies any way.

captjns
01-08-2019, 05:49 AM

So what happened... Vinny Bag of Donuts make an offer you couldnít refuse?:rolleyes:

JohnBurke
01-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Millennials.

Kerizbro
01-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Just saw a new add for a WGA recruiting event in Miami.

Can any current 747 guys pm about their schedules? Iím pretty familiar with the md11 flying.

Thanks

Bluesville
01-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Itís not complicated on the 74 side.
We bid days off. Itís the first half, or back half-of-the-month of days off they usually publish. Then you see what fits you best and bid that line. Easy-peasy.

Bluesville
01-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Iím sorry I misread this, thought you were wondering about the bidding process.
We have two 74s with three repeating customers (FLX, ANA and MIL).
Military will send you around the world to some interesting places, the other two are like endless ground hog days.
Head to our company site and check the schedules for the 74, that will give you a better idea.
Good luck!

KA350Driver
01-25-2019, 08:22 PM
Are internal recs or attending a job fair required to get on with WGA?

ViperGuy69
01-30-2019, 05:05 AM
Does WGA want military conversion added to hours for military applicants?

Iím thinking of applying but not sure theyíll consider me:

Retired mil, 2400TT, 1900PIC, all F-16 and T-38 (no multi-crew time). Unrestricted ATP, clean record, been working as a sim IP for the last few months (12-month currency is pretty low). Canít afford regional pay and have to commute from Oklahoma, so looking for something else like ACMI or corporate jets.

Thanks!

captjns
01-30-2019, 05:35 AM

Retired mil, 2400TT, 1900PIC, all F-16 and T-38 (no multi-crew time). Unrestricted ATP, clean record, been working as a sim IP for the last few months (12-month currency is pretty low). Canít afford regional pay and have to commute from Oklahoma, so looking for something else like ACMI or corporate jets.

Thanks!

You look into OMNI?

ViperGuy69
01-30-2019, 05:49 AM
Yeah I plan to apply to Omni, expecting an app window next month. Applied to Kalitta but haven't heard anything. Sounds like Atlas/Southern/ATI/ABX are places to avoid and their pay is pretty low. Ultimate goal is FedEx/UPS or a legacy.

Cujo665
01-30-2019, 05:59 AM
Yeah I plan to apply to Omni, expecting an app window next month. Applied to Kalitta but haven't heard anything. Sounds like Atlas/Southern/ATI/ABX are places to avoid and their pay is pretty low. Ultimate goal is FedEx/UPS or a legacy.

You’ve got the background to go direct to a major, including purple and brown, once you have some 121 time to get current. Take any of the regionals with bonus pay high enough to meet your needs, or any ACMI with sufficient pay; then start applying, attending job fairs, calling your old squadron buddies for internals, and go straight to wherever you want to be.

74Freighter
01-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Thanks!

I'd do it, doesn't hurt to try, I don't know our mins for military pilots. Apply everywhere, then choose. I'd go straight to Fedex and UPS. If you have your military buddies there, ask to help. They love military and commuters there. Majority of military did not have multi-crew time going to majors any way.

JimBobBoeing
01-31-2019, 11:03 AM
Have some questions. Could someone from WGA please PM me? Thank you!

Muredhawk
01-31-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanks!

Apply
You shouldnít have a problem

JohnBurke
02-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Apply
You shouldnít have a problem

Isn't there a hiring event for western coming up soon? Job fair or other event?

Bluesville
02-01-2019, 03:21 PM
I couldn’t find any info about the event on our company site so here’s a copy for the public sent to us from our CP.

***WGA 2nd ANNUAL MIAMI JOB FAIR!***
Date: February 25 thru March 1st
WGA will be having classes for the MD-11 and B747 all year.

JimBobBoeing
02-02-2019, 06:15 AM
I couldnít find any info about the event on our company site so hereís a copy for the public sent to us from our CP.

How do these work? Do you just show up?

Bluesville
02-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Thatís right. Oh and the best part.... itís Free!

flyboy94
02-02-2019, 11:55 AM
What are the times?

Asiabound
02-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Probably 9-5.

capnflyright
02-04-2019, 06:12 PM
What is the latest on training timeline to IOE? How are they deciding who goes to the MD vs 747?

SoFloFlyer
02-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, which plane is more fun to fly and which one is more of a ďpilotís plane?Ē

No Land 3
02-05-2019, 02:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, which plane is more fun to fly and which one is more of a ďpilotís plane?Ē
I can't speak for the MD11, but the 747 is VERY responsive, handles like a sports car. The slightest yoke movement translates to the airplane responding. I still think of the CRJ 700/900 as more of a pilots airplane simply because of no auto thrust, and no Vnav, but the 747-4 is far more capable in terms of performance.
My good friend on the MD11 claims it is a rocket ship when empty.

capnflyright
02-06-2019, 04:20 PM
If you already have a 74 type and are hired for the 74, is the training time lessened and do they get you to IOE quicker?

MysteriousMrX
02-07-2019, 02:18 PM
I couldnít find any info about the event on our company site so hereís a copy for the public sent to us from our CP.

Is this.. just show up? Need to call ahead?
Is it a meet and greet or will they do interviews? Bring resumes? Fill out app ahead of time??
Seems very vague. Iím interested but want to make sure a special trip to Miami is worth it...

Bluesville
02-07-2019, 06:46 PM
It sounds like your first Job fair... so I recommend Bring a resume, dress to impress. No reservation required and be prepared to show them what you are capable of.

MysteriousMrX
02-08-2019, 05:40 AM
It sounds like your first Job fair... so I recommend Bring a resume, dress to impress. No reservation required and be prepared to show them what you are capable of.

not my first, but thx for the info. I was just unclear whether it is a meet n greet or if theyíll do interviews. I know normally they do Skype interview then in-person then sim eval; itíd be nice to knock it all out at once, but that seems unlikely to be the case here.
Anyway, would love to try to get there and at least meet some WGN people.

JohnBurke
02-08-2019, 07:15 AM
not my first, but thx for the info. I was just unclear whether it is a meet n greet or if theyíll do interviews. I know normally they do Skype interview then in-person then sim eval; itíd be nice to knock it all out at once, but that seems unlikely to be the case here.
Anyway, would love to try to get there and at least meet some WGN people.

Given that their simulator is right there in Miami, a few minutes from the hotel, and it's where they do their in-person interviews, I suspect that the entire process takes place at the "job fair." I suspect that if they're interested in you after having met, they'll conduct the sim and everything else in one place and skip the skype interview. I can't imagine that they'd have people come there just to drop a resume, then come back another time for an interview and sim check. It would seem that given their regular interview process in the same location, they're seeking bulk applicants to show up and do the interview.

Perhaps someone can clarify.

Boris Badenov
02-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Yeah, as Burke describes is how it was when I did it, about a year ago. I wound up going with another offer, but it seemed like an ok place, from what I could tell.

tengssuuciurta
02-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Given that their simulator is right there in Miami, a few minutes from the hotel, and it's where they do their in-person interviews, I suspect that the entire process takes place at the "job fair." I suspect that if they're interested in you after having met, they'll conduct the sim and everything else in one place and skip the skype interview. I can't imagine that they'd have people come there just to drop a resume, then come back another time for an interview and sim check. It would seem that given their regular interview process in the same location, they're seeking bulk applicants to show up and do the interview.

Perhaps someone can clarify.

We've been told about as much as you have.

JungleJetDriver
02-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Iíve read through the thread and most is a bit dated. Iím looking for current info.
Is this truly home based or do you have to live relatively close to a major airport, MCO, ATL, MIA, etc?
Could you live and fly out of BFE regional airport?
Are the DH flights coach?
Is there a training contract?
If given the option MD-11 or B747?
Bid for days off so Iím assuming the 17-20 days on are consecutive?

Asiabound
02-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Iíve read through the thread and most is a bit dated. Iím looking for current info.
Is this truly home based or do you have to live relatively close to a major airport, MCO, ATL, MIA, etc?
Could you live and fly out of BFE regional airport?
Are the DH flights coach?
Is there a training contract?
If given the option MD-11 or B747?
Bid for days off so Iím assuming the 17-20 days on are consecutive?

Quick answers...

1. Home based, but unless you live near a major intl airport I'd get it in writing via email that your chosen airport is approved.

2. DHs are coach, yes.

3. No training contract.

4. Not sure about the option about MD11 vs. 747. 747 classes have been rare til recently.

5. Yes, plan to be gone for at a min 17 days so you aren't surprised. We do have a seniority bidding system.

JungleJetDriver
02-12-2019, 05:02 AM
Asiabound, thanks for the info. Can I PM you with a few more questions?

JohnBurke
02-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Regarding the job fair mentioned above, I enquired. WGA will meet and greet, and for those selected, all the interview process will be conducted that day (interview, written, simulator check). No specific class dates, but a class monthly, starting at the end of each month.

Don't PM me with questions; that's all the information I received.

fiftyone
02-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Any dirty rumors about the 777 on the ramp?

Riverside
02-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Any dirty rumors about the 777 on the ramp?

Along with all the other ACMI.

Clue32
02-28-2019, 02:12 AM
I just read every post and checked out the job posting on the company website and have a couple quick questions.

Way back on Page 1, post 10 from December 2017, a comment was made that there is true world-wide home basing. Is this still the case? FRA is my home airport, and as that is not likely to change anytime soon, the ACMI world and scheduling is very attractive to me. I've really been looking at K4, but I'm open to most options and Western looks like a quite attractive career.

Second, the job posting is also from 2017 for 2018 classes. Is the 1000 turbojet still a requirement? I saw that for Military guys K4 may take turboprop folks like me. Is the same true for Western or would I need to commute for 12-18 months to a Regional or LCC to be eligible?

Thanks for the help.

Bluesville
02-28-2019, 06:58 AM
When I was hired not too long ago they were looking for pilots living in the US. But needs change, so throw in a Resume with a good cover letter stating where you live and see what happens. If offered a position take the MD, they do a lot more Europe.
As for the 1000PIC, you donít need it here but youíll be in the right seat much longer.
Best of luck.

JimBobBoeing
03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Can anyone please tell me if WGA is CASS and/or KCM? Thanks!

tengssuuciurta
03-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Can anyone please tell me if WGA is CASS and/or KCM? Thanks!

Yes to both. No agreements with DL or AS though.

SoFloFlyer
03-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Just out of curiousity, where are pilots going after here? Any to the Big 3 and how many?

CautionPropWash
03-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Did anyone here go to the recent job fair? Any news on WGA hiring in 2019 and beyond?

What's attrition like? Growth? How many on the seniority list? Most Jr Captain hire date?

Thank you!! :)