Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FO Side-Gigs?

hrmham
12-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Just curious: While times "are-a-boomin" at the present, is it common for FOs (and, perhaps, even lower seniority CAs) to keep up non-flying side-gigs that can pay the rent if/when our industry goes sideways again? Obviously, many types of flying side-gigs are common (Guard, CFI, etc.), but I'm curious about any non-flying gigs that folks keep up and pursue when they're not flying. Are there any particular "furlough-protection" pursuits that are more common than others among active pilots? Given monthly flying schedules, reserve, commutes, etc., these side-jobs must put a premium on flexibility.

BeatNavy
12-03-2017, 07:47 AM
Just curious: While times "are-a-boomin" at the present, is it common for FOs (and, perhaps, even lower seniority CAs) to keep up non-flying side-gigs that can pay the rent if/when our industry goes sideways again? Obviously, many types of flying side-gigs are common (Guard, CFI, etc.), but I'm curious about any non-flying gigs that folks keep up and pursue when they're not flying. Are there any particular "furlough-protection" pursuits that are more common than others among active pilots? Given monthly flying schedules, reserve, commutes, etc., these side-jobs must put a premium on flexibility.

Trading bitcoin. Until it crashes. Ditto for the stock market. Can all be done from the comfort of an overnight or home.

disco inferno
12-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Piano player at a house of ill repute.

Qotsaautopilot
12-03-2017, 10:31 AM
I’m always looking. Haven’t found it yet. Our exposure in this career having to start back at the beginning if we get laid off, or losing our medical being six months away, is just so high. I hope I can figure something out soon, but you’re right, it has to be right.

NightOwl
12-03-2017, 11:14 AM
A lot of guys I fly with work as real estate agents . Some guys own restaurants too but that's a big upfront investment. Day trading and real estate seem to be the most common.

duece12345
12-03-2017, 12:00 PM
This is a good thread. I flew with a guy that had been crushed by 9-11. He had to foreclose on the house, wife left him, etc. He lives uber conservative now. Got me thinking to when the next downturn happens. Things are great now, but I am not nieve to think it is going to be great for the next 30 yrs.

Any stories of guys getting to a point where they could go walk away from flying and not take it in the shorts?

tomgoodman
12-03-2017, 12:31 PM
One guy got into a direct-marketing company, really more of a pyramid scheme. Said he wrote off all his ski trips as a business expense by pitching the deal while riding chairlifts.
The fatal accident happened right over a deep ravine....:p

sherpster
12-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Piano player at a house of ill repute.

Forget the piano player gig. The real money is in being the bathroom attendant.

NightOwl
12-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Has anybody ever worked with those companies that pay you to complete surveys and other computer work ?

dustrpilot
12-03-2017, 02:46 PM
When I was airlines, I worked as a car buyer for a used car lot. Payed really well and you can use your jump seat/ pass privileges to get to out of town auctions.
Was a lot of fun and you get to spend other people’s money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WesternSkies
12-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Picking up flying at your airline is typically the best cash/hour pt job out there. The only downside is being on the road again.

Min day at work is about $200.
How many times would I need to ask, “What size drink with your meal?” to make > than a min day?

HIFLYR
12-03-2017, 05:07 PM
This is a good thread. I flew with a guy that had been crushed by 9-11. He had to foreclose on the house, wife left him, etc. He lives uber conservative now. Got me thinking to when the next downturn happens. Things are great now, but I am not nieve to think it is going to be great for the next 30 yrs.

Any stories of guys getting to a point where they could go walk away from flying and not take it in the shorts?

Best things you can do are first live with in your means and keep the first wife. Seriously I know super senior guys at my airline that could not miss a pay check. I also had several co workers during the downturn loose houses etc. I will never forget when I was a FO I was flying with a day trader Captain. We were talking investments etc when I told him I was making 4 to 5 house payments a month. He proceeded to lecture me about how much more I would be making in the market with that money. I simply replied I am happy saving 900 cash in the bank for every extra principle payment I made. I have no idea if he or I won in the end but it is nice to have the house paid for.

freezingflyboy
12-03-2017, 05:21 PM
When I was airlines, I worked as a car buyer for a used car lot. Payed really well and you can use your jump seat/ pass privileges to get to out of town auctions.

I'd be careful with that. Most pass travel privilege agreements specifically prohibit using your pass travel in furtherance of a business. I've known plenty of guys who have done it but only one that got busted. YMMV.

MartyTHL
12-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Best things you can do are first live with in your means and keep the first wife.

Great advice that I share with every young pilot I talk with. I wish someone told me when I was younger.

I got into the mortgage business early in my airline career and now own a mortgage company. Great money, most everything can be done over the phone or via e-mail, and most importantly I get to help families get a great deal and remove the stress from buying a house. I know a lot of airline pilots who are in real estate (agents, appraisers, and investors). Also know a good amount of financial planners and CPAs

pilotgolfer
12-04-2017, 12:05 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s not what jumpseats are intended for.

Varsity
12-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Not a good idea in the slightest. Even worse idea to talk about it on the internet.

geosync
12-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Bartender is always a good one, if you can get a good gig at a busy place. Your local filthy dive with the drunks asleep face down at their normal stool is probably not a good place to do it. Registered nurse is a great one as well(if you can get by the "nurse" title, like Gaylord Focker did). Gotta go through training, but they make outstanding money in specializations like emergency, trauma, etc.. Some at my wife's hospital rake in over $200k, full time + overtime of course. But the potential is there.

noalternate
12-05-2017, 05:27 PM
I did Uber on first year pay. Fantastic, saved my bacon. Can even do it on reserve. Turn the app on, make $. Sch calls, turn the app off and go to work. Seriously, that extra 300-400 kept the lights on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk