Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Junior FO lines/schedule for MSP

thedud
12-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Looking for information on a typical junior FO schedule for MSP. Thanks in advance.

AUpilot77
12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Looking for information on a typical junior FO schedule for MSP. Thanks in advance.

Not based there but from what I can tell itíll likely be a mixture of 4 days and/or stand-ups for the first month or two off reserve to include some weekend trips. Roughly 85-95 hours of credit and blocking 70-75 would be my guess. Reserves have been getting called out most days.

LAX2MSP
12-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Not based there but from what I can tell itíll likely be a mixture of 4 days and/or stand-ups for the first month or two off reserve to include some weekend trips. Roughly 85-95 hours of credit and blocking 70-75 would be my guess. Reserves have been getting called out most days.

Minimum of 90hrs of pay a month. Mainly 4 days, 11 days off a month. Usually flying around +80hrs a month. PM me for more info

thedud
12-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Any idea as to how long to get a larger amount of days off. 11 is pretty crappy. Thx

N1234
12-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Any idea as to how long to get a larger amount of days off. 11 is pretty crappy. Thx

Maybe a year or so as an FO. 5-6 years as CA.

thedud
12-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Ok thank you. As a reality check. I realize the first year FO is bound to be shytte. But 5-6 years as a Captain to see a good schedule is reason to punt. I thought minne was a junior base.

zondaracer
12-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Ok thank you. As a reality check. I realize the first year FO is bound to be shytte. But 5-6 years as a Captain to see a good schedule is reason to punt. I thought minne was a junior base.

It was a junior base. And then DTW exploded and MSP became stagnant for awhile. Now, ATL is exploding. There was some good movement in MSP for about 3 months and new hires are getting MSP right now. Things are always changing, back and forth.

For the record, 15 days off for me in MSP and I am pretty junior, left seat. Been at the company for less than 3.

thedud
12-09-2017, 04:36 AM
Thank you for the valuable information.

thedud
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Thank you to those who shared. I am looking for a larger sampling than just a few people. Can a few more add their 2c please. Thx
And happy holidays on the road of course. Why? Bc thatís what we do.

flydiamond
12-21-2017, 11:19 AM

22 days off for Endeavor junior 900 lineholders with if you're willing to Commute to NYC for for a bit (12 days off on reserve). Most junior FO in MSP is a May hire so you'll get back eventually (until it's time to upgrade then you're back to NYC).

thedud
12-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Thatís funny. I needed that! However I was hoping for SkyWest crews to share. Wondering how it is in minne overall. I will not commute. At least not for long. I appreciate any input from current Sky pilots.
Happy holidays

thedud
01-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Ladies and gentlemen. Including a pilot that was at Seidels office today. I just want a bit more intel as to what to expect.
Thank you All. 😏

LAX2MSP
01-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Ladies and gentlemen. Including a pilot that was at Seidels office today. I just want a bit more intel as to what to expect.
Thank you All. 😏

What all would you like to know? You arenít asking any questions.

thedud
01-13-2018, 04:34 PM
I thought it was pretty a straightforward inquiry. And certainly not a lot to ask. However, even the recruiters and interview staff were evasive.
Specifically, what are the following.
Typical FO Schedule for years 1-3
Typical CA Schedule for years 1-3
Average days off per month years 1-3 FO and CA and beyond
it seems as though there is a reluctance to share this basic information.
Is their NDA that prevents this sharing? Or is the koolaide preventing said sharing.
Regards

word302
01-13-2018, 07:38 PM
I thought it was pretty a straightforward inquiry. And certainly not a lot to ask. However, even the recruiters and interview staff were evasive.
Is their NDA that prevents this sharing? Or is the koolaide preventing said sharing.
Regards

Lol. Do you have any idea how different the industry now from just a year ago? Let alone 3. Theyíre reluctant to answer because they are pretty silly questions.

SirLurksalot
01-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Regards

Even the reply to this from the next guy doesnt give any indication of an answer. Midwest crj bases are understaffed and pilots are worked with min days off even halfway up the base seniority list and beyond.

thedud
01-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Precisely why this is brain damage. Geez. Cannot even ask a straight question without some childish ridicule or non answers. Grow up
Thatís it for me. Iíll get the real facts elsewhere.

nopantsILS
01-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Three years ago SKW had an 8+ year upgrade. Flash to now and 70+ CRJ guys are getting ran through training every month, 4 new bases have opened, ATL is spooling up and upgrades are on the street. Oh, and BTW 40+ airplanes are coming this year.

Anyone who speaks in absolutes about what is going to happen 2 months from now much less three years from now is full of it. You can apply that logic to pretty much any regional.

thedud
01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Noted and good point. Just wanted an idea of typical schedule for a newbie. Canít be that difficult. A lot of choices out there. And still a lot of hyperbole. Just wanted facts. I will not go to work somewhere that really sucks as far as quality of life. Been there done that. Saw the video, got the T-shirt and did not get even a thank you.
Is that clear enough?

nopantsILS
01-16-2018, 05:00 PM
11-12 days off, reserve rules here are garbage. Living in base within a 2 hour callout would help reduct the suck. Long call goes senior, 12 hour callout. So do weekends off... SKW just switched to a reserve day off bidding system using PBS instead of hard lines pre-build by the company. Word is still out on how this will work but I'm guessing junior reserves will get the shaft.

How long will you have to endure SKW reserve? That goes back to what everyone else is saying, nobody knows. MSP was a junior spot. Now....not so much, but newbs have been sent there recently. Time it wrong and DTW or ATL are a possibility for a few months then reserve in MSP for who knows how long.

As a junior lineholder expect minimum days off (11-13). Mainly/exclusively CRJ200 flying, many short legs. You will fly on the CRJ side, but it's hard work. Senior lineholders see more of the same, maybe another day or two off as trip efficiency increases slightly. Generally the CRJ trips in the Mid-West and East are not efficient, this translates into more days flying to reach the required credit for your seniority. The required amount of hours for CRJ pilots in these domiciles is high and not much relief is in sight. High block hours and inefficient trips is a QOL killer. Expect four 4 day trips a month, with something extra (local(s), standup(s), two day) sprinkled in just for good measure. You cannot drop, swap, or get rid of flying without calling in sick.

How long will you be junior? Again...nobody really knows. You're at the bottom of a 4,600 pilot list. You will be worked. Everything changes month to month, especially when new airplanes come into the fold or as the CRJ flying is shifted east.

SKW pilots are underpaid, but thats our own fault. Performance has started to slip recently. Right now classes are full, but how much longer will that keep up? IMO SkyWest is headed for an RAH style preformance meltdown, especially if theres a blip in the number of newhires coming in the next few months as classes running soon will be on the line just in time for Summer schedules.

thedud
01-17-2018, 02:41 PM
I appreciate that explanation and realistic view. There is a lot of opportunity out there. It should be an interesting few years in the industry. Especially the regionals with so many major and legacy and freight carriers scrambling for pilots. The money will come or mergers will happen and then the money might happen.
The old days of the cheapest pilot pay are coming to an end. And the scumbag Wall Street mentality of treating pilots like crap is sure to end as well. There are just not that many people out there willing to put up with that just to go wee! When the go sticks are pushed forward.