Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

CrowneVic
12-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Hi folks, just wondering if you recently hired and not-so-recently hired pilots at Compass would care to share your overall thoughts on working there, and would recommend the company? Info on what you like most and least would be helpful. Thank you.

poorflyer
12-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi folks, just wondering if you recently hired and not-so-recently hired pilots at Compass would care to share your overall thoughts on working there, and would recommend the company? Info on what you like most and least would be helpful. Thank you.

Dude it's a regional. It all sucks and shouldn't be a thing in the first place. It's all an oscillating scale due to mainline whipsawing the regionals against each other. So one place may look great at one point only to suck the next month. If you want to live in SEA, LAX, or PHX or someplace easily commutable from there then join us or Skywest, upgrade as soon as possible, pad your resume, do some sexual favors for a mainline pilot, get a real airline job then you will be truly happy.

All in all I'm as happy as a regional guy could be. The planes work, the people are good, my schedule is okay, and my upgrade still may come within 2ish years. The grass is always greener and sometimes wish I chased the flows, or money, or growth blah blah blah. All I'm going to do now is get out as soon as possible and make as many friends here on the way.

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-11-2017, 03:43 PM

I really like the Biscottis on American and the Banannas on Delta, but I really miss the Fig bars, especially the blueberry ones, QOL went down a little bit when those went away.

Um... I like our pilot group, leadership can be goobers, but I think we have good chief pilots. Glad we have a contract, sure it's abused, but at least we can file a grievance.

I like the airplane and the bases, VNAV, don't like the autothrottles in gusty winds, its like 'George' just got his PPL.

Reserve sucks, our contract has some nasty week spots that get exploited on a daily basis, but we have some good things going for us, its not all bad. Just come on over... it's still a good place...

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Dude it's a regional. It all sucks and shouldn't be a thing in the first place. It's all an oscillating scale due to mainline whipsawing the regionals against each other. So one place may look great at one point only to suck the next month. If you want to live in SEA, LAX, or PHX or someplace easily commutable from there then join us or Skywest, upgrade as soon as possible, pad your resume, do some sexual favors for a mainline pilot, get a real airline job then you will be truly happy.

All in all I'm as happy as a regional guy could be. The planes work, the people are good, my schedule is okay, and my upgrade still may come within 2ish years. The grass is always greener and sometimes wish I chased the flows, or money, or growth blah blah blah. All I'm going to do now is get out as soon as possible and make as many friends here on the way.

Yah this was a better answer, although I won't be doing any sexual favors, just bribing.

Poser765
12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
I'll agree with what others have said and add some...

The bad. Iocc sucks, our contract has some really weak language, reserve can be a poop show, and compass/TSH management can't seem to think more than three months in the future.

The good. The crew's are almost all great, the flying is generally fun, we've got only a handful of lifers so as long as our CPAs stay alive we should have consistent movement, and there is a Panda Express 75 feet from our lax crew room.

Overall I'm happy. Generally, anyway. In two and a half years I've only NOT wanted to come to work a handful of times.

PC12
12-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Been here a while and Iím happy with it as a non commuter. Worked at three different 135 companies prior.

VIRotate
12-11-2017, 09:30 PM
I commute across 3 times zones. It's not fun especially after watching two regionals open a base back home. Still, lateral move isn't worth it. Schedule is alright, commuter friendly. Some really great people, great airplane. Would I commute this far again? Absolutely not but it has been a good learning experience. I would only recommend if you are a west coast guy/girl or want to move out there.

Shangri La
12-11-2017, 09:46 PM
I'll chime in been here just over 2 yeasrs now;

The good: commuter friendly, decent movement, not many lifers, good crews.

The bad: short sided management, trip efficiency is going downhill, gaping holes in our contract language.

Bottom line: we're not the worst, but we definitely not the best either. If you live on the west cost or a very short commute away, come on over the wasters fine. If your gonna commute from east of the Rockies.. dont. there's much better options currently available to pilots looking for work. I personally commute two time zones via two legs to get to work, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. So if you live west coast or plan to, sure it's a good place to work, but if your going to commute I'd look elsewhere first .

CrowneVic
12-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Appreciate all the replies. Thank you.

SirLurksalot
12-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I commute across 3 times zones. It's not fun especially after watching two regionals open a base back home. Still, lateral move isn't worth it. Schedule is alright, commuter friendly. Some really great people, great airplane. Would I commute this far again? Absolutely not but it has been a good learning experience. I would only recommend if you are a west coast guy/girl or want to move out there.

Speaking of Atl?

VIRotate
12-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Speaking of Atl?

You guessed it!

SirLurksalot
12-15-2017, 04:11 PM
You guessed it!

Im sure youve invested alot in being at CP, but if you went over to either of those companies with atl, you could hold it right away, and captain very quickly if not immediately also..im in a similar position in a different city. Its tempting every time I go to the airport to commute

VIRotate
12-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Im sure youve invested alot in being at CP, but if you went over to either of those companies with atl, you could hold it right away, and captain very quickly if not immediately also..im in a similar position in a different city. Its tempting every time I go to the airport to commute

Iíll be upgrading in 6 months to a plane I know very well and a lateral move isnít what Iím looking for. Besides plus side is that I watch so many movies on the commute! I agree it is tempting. Driving to work would be so nice. Appreciate the info though.

sMFer
12-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Iíll be upgrading in 6 months to a plane I know very well and a lateral move isnít what Iím looking for. Besides plus side is that I watch so many movies on the commute! I agree it is tempting. Driving to work would be so nice. Appreciate the info though.Lateral moves can be tricky. I did one after sitting right seat at a regional for over 6 years and coming to CP. Worked out for me. Upgraded in 5 months and outta here next month. For me, it was a right decision, especially in the QOL arena. Shortening my commute and more days off was a huge boost and made it all worthwhile.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TBirdie
12-18-2017, 02:22 PM

I got hired in June and love it so far. I have been really impressed with my coworkers, training, trips, hotels, etc. I came from a terrible 135 company where I would risk my life on the daily, so anything was going to be better haha. The company has a strong foundation.

The pilots Iíve flown with so far have been great. Thereís lots young people here. You will fly a 23 or 24yr old captain at some point. When I started, I thought that would be a negative, but actually the younger pilots are some of the best. Everyone seems to want to move on and forward. Every once in a while you get a lame crew that doesnít want to do anything on a layover, but for the most part itís a really fun culture with lots of good people. Thereís always going to be things to complain about, but so far Iíve been happy here.

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-18-2017, 02:42 PM
The pilots Iíve flown with so far have been great. Thereís lots young people here. You will fly a 23 or 24yr old captain at some point. When I started, I thought that would be a negative, but actually the younger pilots are some of the best. Everyone seems to want to move on and forward. Every once in a while you get a lame crew that doesnít want to do anything on a layover, but for the most part itís a really fun culture with lots of good people. Thereís always going to be things to complain about, but so far Iíve been happy here.

Really glad to hear it! Welcome! You LAX?

FlytheSky
12-18-2017, 04:07 PM
I got hired in June and love it so far. I have been really impressed with my coworkers, training, trips, hotels, etc. I came from a terrible 135 company where I would risk my life on the daily, so anything was going to be better haha. The company has a strong foundation.

That was one of my favorite things about coming to Compass. When I was a FO, I felt like the younger captains I'd fly with were more like peers than "dad" at other regionals with a west coast base. ;)

Full disclosure: I am a "younger captain" now, so maybe I'll see you around on the line! Double Compass wave!

GrumpyBear
12-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Alright guys, finally did it. I pulled the trigger and applied this morning to Compass. Now, the waiting. Hoping to get a call here soon and start the next chapter in my flying career. If made an offer, hoping for LAX and Guard bum on the side for extra cash.:)

mpet
12-19-2017, 09:53 AM
You don't even have to hope for LA bro. I can almost assure you'll get it if you want it. They'll get back to you pretty fast too. Good luck.

flyboy94
12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
How realistic is it if you live in PHX and want to fly out of LAX? I know PHX is a base but there isn't much flying out of here.

Poser765
12-19-2017, 10:39 AM
How realistic is it if you live in PHX and want to fly out of LAX? I know PHX is a base but there isn't much flying out of here.short flights and lots of them. Also a lot of commuters out of phx. We do a few throughout the day on delta planes. That means three jumpseat per aircraft. I wouldn't say it's easy, but very doable.

Patrickc
12-25-2017, 02:05 AM

The bad: short sided management, trip efficiency is going downhill, gaping holes in our contract language.

Bottom line: we're not the worst, but we definitely not the best either. If you live on the west cost or a very short commute away, come on over the wasters fine. If your gonna commute from east of the Rockies.. dont. there's much better options currently available to pilots looking for work. I personally commute two time zones via two legs to get to work, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. So if you live west coast or plan to, sure it's a good place to work, but if your going to commute I'd look elsewhere first .

Any Compass pilots living in San Diego? How is it commuting with the trip schedules? Is it possible to be in San Diego with a two hour reserve?

Poser765
12-25-2017, 06:54 AM
Any Compass pilots living in San Diego? How is it commuting with the trip schedules? Is it possible to be in San Diego with a two hour reserve?the people I know who commute to reserve from SAN do three things.

1. Commute in on a flight and hang out.

2. Drive about half way and stage themselves for the two hour call out.

3. Just risk it and hope they can catch one of the many flights to lax and beat their show time.

WingedCelt
12-25-2017, 08:28 PM
I did the PHX LAX commute for a year and a half. You have a few things going on in your favor.

PHX LAX market is served by, Delta, American, Southwest, United, Mesa, and Skywest. There's literally a flight leaving every hour between here and there. Would I use it to stay home and wait for the short call between scheduling assigning you a trip and then getting there? No...lot can happen and there is often flow between the two so getting there inside of two hours from the call to report is minimal at best.

I have had to use the commuter clause once in my entire 1.5 years between the two. There were no questions or hassles between the Chiefs and I, and it was a done deal.

I have missed my first commute back home twice, always got on the second. Use our commuter policy to your advantage, that chiefly being that you can get on our FA jumpseats in order to get home. Plus, with adequate warning and advance notice, you can reserve the cockpit jump and no one can bump it from you.

It's not bad, but from where I live in Queen Creek, it would average me 4 hours to leave my house to exiting the jetway in LAX. Same on the back way home. That's 8 hours gone with each trip spent commuting. Average 4 trips a month that s an almost 40 hour work week spent commuting. I hold Phoenix now and the 45 minute drive to the airport cannot be beat, especially with parking in Terminal 3.

Good luck.

flyboy94
12-26-2017, 04:37 PM
I did the PHX LAX commute for a year and a half. You have a few things going on in your favor.

PHX LAX market is served by, Delta, American, Southwest, United, Mesa, and Skywest. There's literally a flight leaving every hour between here and there. Would I use it to stay home and wait for the short call between scheduling assigning you a trip and then getting there? No...lot can happen and there is often flow between the two so getting there inside of two hours from the call to report is minimal at best.

I have had to use the commuter clause once in my entire 1.5 years between the two. There were no questions or hassles between the Chiefs and I, and it was a done deal.

I have missed my first commute back home twice, always got on the second. Use our commuter policy to your advantage, that chiefly being that you can get on our FA jumpseats in order to get home. Plus, with adequate warning and advance notice, you can reserve the cockpit jump and no one can bump it from you.

It's not bad, but from where I live in Queen Creek, it would average me 4 hours to leave my house to exiting the jetway in LAX. Same on the back way home. That's 8 hours gone with each trip spent commuting. Average 4 trips a month that s an almost 40 hour work week spent commuting. I hold Phoenix now and the 45 minute drive to the airport cannot be beat, especially with parking in Terminal 3.

Good luck.
I start training at the beginning of February, what do you think the chances are getting PHX right out of the gate? I currently live in Chandler and was hoping not to have to commute to LAX if I can avoid it. If commuting is the only option about how long before PHX is possible?

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-26-2017, 09:19 PM
I start training at the beginning of February, what do you think the chances are getting PHX right out of the gate? I currently live in Chandler and was hoping not to have to commute to LAX if I can avoid it. If commuting is the only option about how long before PHX is possible?

It still looks like getting it out of training is possible, or within a couple months. More people from PHX are jumping on board now so it might be longer, no one knows for sure. I doubt it would take more than a couple months. Welcome!

3PerRev
12-27-2017, 03:12 AM

The recruiters are saying that all domiciles will be available either right away or within a few months of completing training.

WingedCelt
12-27-2017, 07:01 AM
The recruiters are saying that all domiciles will be available either right away or within a few months of completing training.

They wouldn't be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. New Year, new classes for everyone including majors so we might have a sharp uptick in departures for our guys going to the majors (congrats and best of luck to you all).

JetDoc
12-27-2017, 09:18 AM
It's not bad, but from where I live in Queen Creek, it would average me 4 hours to leave my house to exiting the jetway in LAX. Same on the back way home. That's 8 hours gone with each trip spent commuting. Average 4 trips a month that s an almost 40 hour work week spent commuting.

Good luck.

Which is almost exactly the same amount of time one would spend if they had an hour commute each way to a 9 to 5er 5 days a week only with much more time off.

flyjustinfly
12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
For those of you that have just interviewed or hitting training, how long was it from the interview to a training date? Example if I interviewed in Jan., could you get a May class date?

flyboy94
12-27-2017, 04:18 PM
For those of you that have just interviewed or hitting training, how long was it from the interview to a training date? Example if I interviewed in Jan., could you get a May class date?
I interviewed beginning of December and my first day will be the start of February after completing ATP/CTP course. So pretty quick if you are available right away.

flyboy94
12-27-2017, 04:19 PM
It still looks like getting it out of training is possible, or within a couple months. More people from PHX are jumping on board now so it might be longer, no one knows for sure. I doubt it would take more than a couple months. Welcome!
Thanks glad to be here! Hope PHX works out for me and Compass is a good fit.

VIRotate
12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Glad to see all the new guys on the line. Welcome.

Gordon Axel
12-28-2017, 07:53 PM
I interviewed beginning of December and my first day will be the start of February after completing ATP/CTP course. So pretty quick if you are available right away.

Where is ATP/CTP? How long? HOTEL? Pay$

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Hiring needs projected to remain very strong in 2018, especially for Seattle base. We need 40 a month. PHX still going junior but will mellow out probably... congrats to everyone who took our advice a few months ago to come right now for PHX. Still looking ok for new hires.

flyboy94
12-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Where is ATP/CTP? How long? HOTEL? Pay$
I'm headed to Dallas for ATP/CTP for a week. And I do not believe we are payed while were there but we do start getting paid after orientation and receive are badge. They are putting me up in the La Quinta DFW while in Dallas the whole week. Hope that answers some of your questions.

los5041
12-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Would anyone who does the SAN to LAX commute be willing to expound on the post from pg3. If it’s a 2 hour callout, how realistic is it to make it with it being an hour flight? Do you hangout at the SAN airport all day? For those that drive halfway, where have you found is the best place to stage yourself? Thanks for the additional information. I’m hoping to join the team in March and would like to get a good idea of what life will be like commuting on reserves and if I should start saving for a crash pad.

Big Rooshki
12-29-2017, 06:41 PM
All you west coast young pups need to give Compass due consideration.

Things are happening fast around here.

Not a bad gig. Not a bad gig at all.

word302
12-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Would anyone who does the SAN to LAX commute be willing to expound on the post from pg3. If itís a 2 hour callout, how realistic is it to make it with it being an hour flight? Do you hangout at the SAN airport all day? For those that drive halfway, where have you found is the best place to stage yourself? Thanks for the additional information. Iím hoping to join the team in March and would like to get a good idea of what life will be like commuting on reserves and if I should start saving for a crash pad.

If you try to commute via air for short call reserve youíre going to have a bad time no matter how short the flight is.

VIRotate
12-29-2017, 07:26 PM
If you try to commute via air for short call reserve youíre going to have a bad time no matter how short the flight is.

Agreed. I doubt you can fit 2 tries in the 2 hour call out. Or if there are delays, mechanical, etc. Then you wonít be able to commuter clause it. Just be careful. Iíve heard of guys doing it, but I wouldnít necessarily recommend it unless the flight is wide open or something that day. Even then itís risky.

FlytheSky
12-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Agreed. I doubt you can fit 2 tries in the 2 hour call out. Or if there are delays, mechanical, etc. Then you wonít be able to commuter clause it. Just be careful. Iíve heard of guys doing it, but I wouldnít necessarily recommend it unless the flight is wide open or something that day. Even then itís risky.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/49585695/its-too-risky-its-too-risky.jpg

Just position yourself in a place where you've got time to get to the airport within 2 hours of driving. Technically you can wait 20 minutes after scheduling calls you to answer and not accept a show time less than 2 hours out from when you call them back 20 minutes later, but you'll lose that time getting to the gate from the employee parking lot. I'd recommend a RAP3 (reserve from 11 AM-1 AM) vs RAP1 (reserve from 4 AM-6 PM), as traffic is generally better going to the airport in the afternoon/evening vs in the early morning.

Fgrosoli
12-29-2017, 07:49 PM

I leave in Encinitas and no way you can make it in 2 hours... driving to the parking lot , wait for the shuttle to the terminal ... if no traffic and you are ready to leave when they call you the fastest is 2 hrs 45 mins and everything need to go well, if you need to go to eagle nest plan for 3 hrs. For me the option to driving to San Diego and get on the plane doesnít work either.... 30 min with no traffic to parking lot in San , other 15 min for shuttle to terminal , 1 hrs flight , boarding and de-boarding and running to assigned gate is another 30 mins...

herkdawg
12-29-2017, 09:55 PM
I leave in Encinitas and no way you can make it in 2 hours... driving to the parking lot , wait for the shuttle to the terminal ... if no traffic and you are ready to leave when they call you the fastest is 2 hrs 45 mins and everything need to go well, if you need to go to eagle nest plan for 3 hrs. For me the option to driving to San Diego and get on the plane doesnít work either.... 30 min with no traffic to parking lot in San , other 15 min for shuttle to terminal , 1 hrs flight , boarding and de-boarding and running to assigned gate is another 30 mins...

I would say it's doable north SD County. I live in Carlsbad, but right on the border with Encinitas. I always tried to bid RAP1 and had a bag packed so I could hop in the car and go. I sat reserve from home and never missed a flight. If you live in the city of San Diego, I would say forget it, especially if you get the call late enough where you would hit SD traffic too. I forgot to put in my reserve bid one month and got stuck with RAP3. For that, I would hang out in San Clemente for the day. Hopefully you'll be on reserve shorter than I. Good luck!

Fgrosoli
12-30-2017, 07:00 AM
I would say it's doable north SD County. I live in Carlsbad, but right on the border with Encinitas. I always tried to bid RAP1 and had a bag packed so I could hop in the car and go. I sat reserve from home and never missed a flight. If you live in the city of San Diego, I would say forget it, especially if you get the call late enough where you would hit SD traffic too. I forgot to put in my reserve bid one month and got stuck with RAP3. For that, I would hang out in San Clemente for the day. Hopefully you'll be on reserve shorter than I. Good luck!

I opted out to fly from palomar with my airplane to hawthorn field...
Message me if by any chance we are called together or AR I can give you a ride

flyjustinfly
12-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Hiring needs projected to remain very strong in 2018, especially for Seattle base. We need 40 a month. PHX still going junior but will mellow out probably... congrats to everyone who took our advice a few months ago to come right now for PHX. Still looking ok for new hires.

What is reserve time looking like at SEA currently?

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-31-2017, 02:21 PM
What is reserve time looking like at SEA currently?

'Currently' doesn't really matter as much as in 3 months if you got hired in January. Don't read that with an attitude, it's just that we are going through a transition from no hiring to crazy hiring, 40 a month, probably actually like 30-40.

We're not going into new territory here, just back to how it was for the last 3-4 years! (Minus the last year obviously) Which has been 1-2 months. I'm guessing we'll see inside of 2 months for Seattle this spring.

So like I told the PHX locals 2-3 months ago, now is the time. Especially if you want Seattle.

Cheers! Hope we see you come over!

ROCKETM8
01-15-2018, 06:47 PM
What is the upgrade time there this week?

Slowhawk
01-15-2018, 06:58 PM
What is the upgrade time there this week?

Anyone who joins now is going to see VERY fast upgrades. My estimate would be 12-18 months. No more than 18.

Look at it this way, even with the 6 month upgrade/hiring freeze in 2017, I am looking at a 2 year upgrade. Despite zero seniority movement for nearly 8 months.

2017 was a crap year for compass. I got screwed. That said, anyone joining now is going to see incredible movement. Like < 3 month reserve and absolutely positively upgrade in less than 2 years from Date of hire.

All that said, I think we have a Delta contract up for renewal in 2020. Coming to compass might be a little ďriskyĒ but the potential reward is pretty great.

ROCKETM8
01-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Thanks man. Is that upgrade with Delta factored in? Also I have about 850TSIC, will that help me any or am I just like ordinary passenger?

Given all things I would prefer Compass as a place to work but not if upgrade is two years or more...

Anyone who joins now is going to see VERY fast upgrades. My estimate would be 12-18 months. No more than 18.

Look at it this way, even with the 6 month upgrade/hiring freeze in 2017, I am looking at a 2 year upgrade. Despite zero seniority movement for nearly 8 months.

2017 was a crap year for compass. I got screwed. That said, anyone joining now is going to see incredible movement. Like < 3 month reserve and absolutely positively upgrade in less than 2 years from Date of hire.

All that said, I think we have a Delta contract up for renewal in 2020. Coming to compass might be a little ďriskyĒ but the potential reward is pretty great.

Poser765
01-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Thanks man. Is that upgrade with Delta factored in? Also I have about 850TSIC, will that help me any or am I just like ordinary passenger?

Given all things I would prefer Compass as a place to work but not if upgrade is two years or more...Regular passenger. Anyone we who would have had to bypass an upgrade because they didn't have the time, has since gotten the time during our ill conceived hiring freeze. We are 100% upgrading in seniority order (discounting those who chose not to upgrade).

bennet00
02-03-2018, 09:25 AM
How much flying are folks getting on reserve out of LAX, and how long before you can hold a line? I am choosing between OO and CPZ. I'm retiring military and live in SAN. While the SAN base for OO is attractive, it seems like people are only flying around 7 days a month right now on reserve, and sitting reserve for several months. Thanks for the help!

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
How much flying are folks getting on reserve out of LAX, and how long before you can hold a line? I am choosing between OO and CPZ. I'm retiring military and live in SAN. While the SAN base for OO is attractive, it seems like people are only flying around 7 days a month right now on reserve, and sitting reserve for several months. Thanks for the help!

We are super short on FOs so lots of flying on reserve, and very short reserve... probably 6 weeks to 2 months for new hires based on the volume of guys coming in now and needed going forward

VIRotate
02-03-2018, 05:49 PM
We are super short on FOs so lots of flying on reserve, and very short reserve... probably 6 weeks to 2 months for new hires based on the volume of guys coming in now and needed going forward

Once summer flying picks up, reserve will probably be less than a month if any.

Flyder
04-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Can you guys elaborate when you say commuter friendly? Do they have commuter friendly schedules where on reserve and/or once you hold a line you can commute in the morning of your work day/ end early enough to get back out at the end of your trip? Or are you guys just referring to the 4 hotels and 2 flights/no fault policy?

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Can you guys elaborate when you say commuter friendly? Do they have commuter friendly schedules where on reserve and/or once you hold a line you can commute in the morning of your work day/ end early enough to get back out at the end of your trip? Or are you guys just referring to the 4 hotels and 2 flights/no fault policy?

Yes, plus, if you commute from somewhere we do service then there is an extra advantage. 3 possible jumpseats on our Delta planes and highest priority on American, even before mainline (assuming you are LAX based of course)

Flyder
04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Yes, plus, if you commute from somewhere we do service then there is an extra advantage. 3 possible jumpseats on our Delta planes and highest priority on American, even before mainline (assuming you are LAX based of course)

Thanks! Can any relatively new line holders share a week's schedule? How many days off are you averaging or are they just doing the 11 day minimum and flying like crazy?

Shangri La
04-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Just keep in mind our efficient trips all seem to start prior to 10 am and end after 6pm. (Ymmv) so if your gonna commute and can reliably make it in for early show, or have late flight options home it should be fairly tolerable. That's the main reason I caution people that are thinking of commuting from out east.

FlytheSky
04-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Thanks! Can any relatively new line holders share a week's schedule? How many days off are you averaging or are they just doing the 11 day minimum and flying like crazy?

Schedules are monthly, rather than weekly. Our contract allows for 19 days of work each month as the maximum awarded (11 days off in a 30 day period, 12 off in a 31 day period). Plan on the 11 (or 12) day minimum and you won't be disappointed. If you have more than 11 (or 12) days off awarded, you won't because they'll make sure to junior man you into them. :p

FlytheSky
04-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Just keep in mind our efficient trips all seem to start prior to 10 am and end after 6pm. (Ymmv) so if your gonna commute and can reliably make it in for early show, or have late flight options home it should be fairly tolerable. That's the main reason I caution people that are thinking of commuting from out east.

Remember that time when people were coming to Compass to commute from Philadelphia, Florida, or even Boston because Compass was such a good company and had such a great upgrade time? I 'member... Those were the days...

Crimson
04-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Remember that time when people were coming to Compass to commute from Philadelphia, Florida, or even Boston because Compass was such a good company and had such a great upgrade time? I 'member... Those were the days...

I love youíre Ďmember reference! I Ďmember too!

week
04-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Careful with OO bases. Yes they have a SAN base but it will take YEARS to get there, if it still exists then. And upgrade there could take many many many years.

At compass you could hold a line in LAX within 3 months and drive (or fly) to work, upgrade in LAX as soon as your ticket is called, which right now would be 1.8 years if you ask me.

If you go to OO itís 100% guaranteed you wonít be SAN based for years

word302
04-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Careful with OO bases. Yes they have a SAN base but it will take YEARS to get there, if it still exists then. And upgrade there could take many many many years.

At compass you could hold a line in LAX within 3 months and drive (or fly) to work, upgrade in LAX as soon as your ticket is called, which right now would be 1.8 years if you ask me.

If you go to OO itís 100% guaranteed you wonít be SAN based for years

Lol. You have no idea what youíre talking about. New hires are getting SAN within a month or 2 and upgrade there is currently not much longer than Compass.

week
04-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Just like their recruiters told me I could hold an ERJ in Denver right out of Training in 2016 ;)

But youíre right maybe my timeline is off.

Iím just glad Iím not such a fanboy for my company that I troll OAL forums and white knight my company every chance I get

word302
04-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Just like their recruiters told me I could hold an ERJ in Denver right out of Training in 2016 ;)

But youíre right maybe my timeline is off.

Iím just glad Iím not such a fanboy for my company that I troll OAL forums and white knight my company every chance I get

Not a fanboy at all. We have plenty of our own problems. Just setting you straight when you talk out your ass.

week
04-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Not a fanboy at all. We have plenty of our own problems. Just setting you straight when you talk out your ass.

Youíve got me there, if it really has shrank to a matter of months, Iím dead wrong and I am talking out my butt.

I feel like one day Iíll be in my kitchen talking to my wife and Iíll mention the word SkyWest, and before it leaves my mouth, youíll come crashing through my window to make sure Iím speaking fondly of the great OO.

What are you even doing in a compass pilot happiness thread if you donít work at compass and have no intention of switching to compass? Youíre the only APC pilot that monitors every thread at every regional. That paired with your readiness to dispute anything negative said about OO, really comes off as Jouvenile

Fr8Thrust
04-02-2018, 02:47 PM
I feel like one day Iíll be in my kitchen talking to my wife and Iíll mention the word SkyWest, and before it leaves my mouth, youíll come crashing through my window to make sure Iím speaking fondly of the great OO.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2qwfuvl.jpg

week
04-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Good god Fr8 that was great.

https://image.ibb.co/b7ZMzx/105_CEB81_A49_E_4028_A02_D_3_F5_B1_E6_D62_C4.jpg

Only now am I noticing autocorrect killed me

VIRotate
04-02-2018, 05:08 PM
You guys are too funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

Cowboy1733
04-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Are there any guys out there who commute from Texas?

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Are there any guys out there who commute from Texas?

Yes, we have LAX-DFW flights on the delta planes-the ones with 3 jumpseats. It's doable I guess

Cowboy1733
04-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Yeah. I could 2 leg it through DFW or drive about 2 hours to San Antonio. CPZ has I think 4 or 5 flights a day to LAX. Which would you guys recommend?

Fr8Thrust
04-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Yeah. I could 2 leg it through DFW or drive about 2 hours to San Antonio. CPZ has I think 4 or 5 flights a day to LAX. Which would you guys recommend?

I wouldnít want to drive 2 hours after waiting to take a 3 hour flight. Itís pretty much the entire day, with the time change.

VIRotate
04-02-2018, 08:40 PM

I sometimes use DFW to get East or back to LA. The DL flights really help with the 3 extra JS as Bobby said.

Poser765
04-03-2018, 02:42 AM
Youíve got me there, if it really has shrank to a matter of months, Iím dead wrong and I am talking out my butt.

What are you even doing in a compass pilot happiness thread if you donít work at compass and have no intention of switching to compass? Youíre the only APC pilot that monitors every thread at every regional. That paired with your readiness to dispute anything negative said about OO, really comes off as JouvenileI think it's important to point out he doesn't pop up when someone says something negative. He pops up when someone says something wrong. Have you read some of his posts in other threads? In skywest threads? You should. He doesn't strike me as a coolaid drinker.

word302
04-03-2018, 09:41 AM

What are you even doing in a compass pilot happiness thread if you donít work at compass and have no intention of switching to compass? Youíre the only APC pilot that monitors every thread at every regional. That paired with your readiness to dispute anything negative said about OO, really comes off as Jouvenile

Lol. I only try and correct misinformation. The only thing juvenile is you stamping your feet and screaming like a small child because I post in your sacred thread. It's funny, I have no problem having adult conversations in other airline's forums.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Lol. I only try and correct misinformation. The only thing juvenile is you stamping your feet and screaming like a small child because I post in your sacred thread. It's funny, I have no problem having adult conversations in other airline's forums.

http://i67.tinypic.com/157fxbc.jpg

word302
04-03-2018, 09:44 AM
I think it's important to point out he doesn't pop up when someone says something negative. He pops up when someone says something wrong. Have you read some of his posts in other threads? In skywest threads? You should. He doesn't strike me as a coolaid drinker.

Thank you sir.

word302
04-03-2018, 09:45 AM
I think it's important to point out he doesn't pop up when someone says something negative. He pops up when someone says something wrong. Have you read some of his posts in other threads? In skywest threads? You should. He doesn't strike me as a coolaid drinker.

http://i67.tinypic.com/157fxbc.jpg

I can't help but laugh everyone you post this.

Slowhawk
04-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Wow we roasted 302 and I almost missed it. Word, youíre pretty much infamous on all the regional threads.

Thereís a saying, if youíre at a party, and 3 different people tell you youíre drunk, it means youíre drunk and you shouldnít drive home.

If youíre on APC, and 10 different people ask you to leave or verbalize how annoying you are, well that means youíre probably annoying and maybe itís time to shut the laptop every now and then.

Back to the topic: Iím at compass and I got here at the worst possible time. Things are looking up for anyone that applies now. If I wasnít happy, Iíd probably be trolling SkyWest threads Ďcorrectingí people

Slowhawk
04-03-2018, 08:56 PM
At compass

Happy at Compass*

SnowmanKiller
04-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Slowhawk,

Why was it a bad time for you to join, and why is now a good time to join?

Slowhawk
04-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Slowhawk,

Why was it a bad time for you to join, and why is now a good time to join?

In 2017 they froze hiring and upgrades. I was one of the last hired so I was the lowest 1% on the seniority list for 8 months. Anyone who joined this winter is rocketing up fast though

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-04-2018, 11:20 AM
In 2017 they froze hiring and upgrades. I was one of the last hired so I was the lowest 1% on the seniority list for 8 months. Anyone who joined this winter is rocketing up fast though

I'm hearing from NHs that its 1 month of reserve, LAX and SEA

mpet
04-04-2018, 11:22 AM

1 month of reserve
a lifetime of reassignments and junior manning :o

Excargodog
04-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Indeed. In a sense it is benefitting from the misfortune of others, except if the new hires don't come it will never get better for those unfortunates. Not at Compass anyway.

For the newbie, it's sort of like the "bank error in your favor" card in monopoly.

You really didn't do anything to earn it, just showed up on the right spot at the right time. But you get a really short reserve period before holding a line, flying hours like drinking from a fire hose, and inevitably ( well, maybe not - this is the regionals after all) short upgrades as the more senior people progress on to the next stage of their career.

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

Slowhawk
04-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Back in my day you had to do some serious time on the Minneapolis crew room casting couch to get a flight

VIRotate
04-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Back in my day you had to do some serious time on the Minneapolis crew room casting couch to get a flight

Hahahahaha! Ahh the casting couch. I miss that crew room. Actually the size a crew room should be.

Thermthomas1984
04-29-2018, 11:55 AM

I live in Wichita and applied yesterday. Is it just a QOL thing people are saying to not commute from east of the Rockies? or is it about ability to get to the base?

Poser765
04-29-2018, 01:07 PM
I live in Wichita and applied yesterday. Is it just a QOL thing people are saying to not commute from east of the Rockies? or is it about ability to get to the base?both. And one effects the other. If it's hard to get to base that means you have to leave home earlier to get there. The night before your trip or even earlier in the day.

Shangri La
04-29-2018, 01:53 PM
I live in Wichita and applied yesterday. Is it just a QOL thing people are saying to not commute from east of the Rockies? or is it about ability to get to the base?

Like poser said it's both. The ease of your commute will drastically affect your QOL, for example I also commute from a midwest state, if I want to get home the same day I finish a trip it has to be done by 1700 Pacific time, otherwise its physically impossible to make it home until the next day. So I've spent many nights sleeping at an intermediate airport like DEN so I can catch the first flight home in the morning. Same goes for starting trips i need a trip to start after 10:30 in order to commute day of. Now add in being junior and having minimal days off between trips it becomes a grind very quickly. That being said Compass is still a decent place to work and the checks still clear, just go in with your eyes wide open about the downsides of a half transcon commute.

ShooterMcGavin
04-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Wichita is going to be a tough commute to CPZ bases,I don't think there are many nonstops to PHX LAX or SEA.

Thermthomas1984
04-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Wichita is going to be a tough commute to CPZ bases,I don't think there are many nonstops to PHX LAX or SEA.

Yeah, there is one nonstop from here to SEA daily but none to the other two. It would be a two hop almost every time. Really makes me think long and hard about if Compass is a good fit for me. Thanks for all the input everybody.

Poser765
04-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Yeah, there is one nonstop from here to SEA daily but none to the other two. It would be a two hop almost every time. Really makes me think long and hard about if Compass is a good fit for me. Thanks for all the input everybody.Honestly? Compass could be a great fit for you but the commute isn't a great fit for anyone. What are your reasons for coming to Compass?

jks621
04-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Yeah, there is one nonstop from here to SEA daily but none to the other two. It would be a two hop almost every time. Really makes me think long and hard about if Compass is a good fit for me. Thanks for all the input everybody.

WN has a nonstop ICT-PHX daily. I believe mid-day. Allegiant operates ICT-LAX Wednesdays & Saturdays during summer months I believe.

word302
04-29-2018, 08:48 PM

I'd go somewhere with a Denver base.

Thermthomas1984
04-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Honestly? Compass could be a great fit for you but the commute isn't a great fit for anyone. What are your reasons for coming to Compass?

They are giving money to pilots who will fly for them and I am a pilot and I need money. Lol. I have an interview with Skywest next week but I am just trying not to put all my eggs in one basket. I got the ďwe have enough people to get through the summerĒ email from Endeavor and Envoy So when I wasnít looking at possible places to go I came across Compass it seemes like they have reasonable upgrade time.

AirBat
04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Move to LA or Seattle and come here. We're worth it!

Thermthomas1984
04-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Move to LA or Seattle and come here. We're worth it!

I'm actually trying to get back to the PNW, but my AF Reserve unit is out here so I can really stack up on multi-turbine time between a 121 job and them for a couple of years and hopefully get on with a major. Then make the move back there, but trust me... I'm trying.

Thermthomas1984
04-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Honestly? Compass could be a great fit for you but the commute isn't a great fit for anyone. What are your reasons for coming to Compass?

They are giving money to people that will fly planes for them, I fly planes and I need money... But seriously, I like the bases, our plan is to move back to the PNW so it looks really good, but right now it benefits me to stay here in Wichita until I can get on at a Major. My AF reserve unit is here and I can fly there on my days off. So the commute is really tough to swallow I expect to have a certain level of a ****ty QOL with any regional, but if I can get a less ****ty one I would like it.

Excargodog
04-30-2018, 12:57 PM
They are giving money to people that will fly planes for them, I fly planes and I need money... But seriously, I like the bases, our plan is to move back to the PNW.... My AF reserve unit is here ....

Units (http://www.446aw.afrc.af.mil/Units/)

A whole lot more "majors" haul cargo than do midair refueling.....

Thermthomas1984
04-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Units (http://www.446aw.afrc.af.mil/Units/)

A whole lot more "majors" haul cargo than do midair refueling.....

Funny that you mention that. I have contacted one of the units up there and they said they arenít taking guys that donít currently fly the C17.

Poser765
04-30-2018, 01:53 PM
They are giving money to people that will fly planes for them, I fly planes and I need money... But seriously, I like the bases, our plan is to move back to the PNW so it looks really good, but right now it benefits me to stay here in Wichita until I can get on at a Major. My AF reserve unit is here and I can fly there on my days off. So the commute is really tough to swallow I expect to have a certain level of a ****ty QOL with any regional, but if I can get a less ****ty one I would like it.Unless you can get back to the NW before getting picked up by the Bigs, I'd seriously consider looking around and seeing what other carriers have better basing options for you. At the best of times a commute of emotionally neutral. At the worst of times it's down right soul sucking. A two leg commute, at least half of which will be on metal other than yours, is going to be as bad as you can get.

An example. I can take a red eye tonight and two leg it home and be home by 0800. Or I could stay till tomorrow morning, take the first flight out and get home at 1400. I would so much rather take the latter and waste a day.

Look, I like Compass. It's been good to me, and I hope it can be good to others. If you want to come here, by all means, welcome aboard! However, life is going to be a challenge. Really look and see where you might be able to go with bases that are more commutable. Ord? Den?

Thermthomas1984
04-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Unless you can get back to the NW before getting picked up by the Bigs, I'd seriously consider looking around and seeing what other carriers have better basing options for you. At the best of times a commute of emotionally neutral. At the worst of times it's down right soul sucking. A two leg commute, at least half of which will be on metal other than yours, is going to be as bad as you can get.

An example. I can take a red eye tonight and two leg it home and be home by 0800. Or I could stay till tomorrow morning, take the first flight out and get home at 1400. I would so much rather take the latter and waste a day.

Look, I like Compass. It's been good to me, and I hope it can be good to others. If you want to come here, by all means, welcome aboard! However, life is going to be a challenge. Really look and see where you might be able to go with bases that are more commutable. Ord? Den?

Yeah, I have an interview with SkyWest next week but I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I already got the "We have enough pilots for the summer" emails from Envoy and Endeavor so I'm looking for some other options to apply to as well.

Poser765
04-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I have an interview with SkyWest next week but I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I already got the "We have enough pilots for the summer" emails from Envoy and Endeavor so I'm looking for some other options to apply to as well.ah, OK... Good deal.

Excargodog
04-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Funny that you mention that. I have contacted one of the units up there and they said they aren’t taking guys that don’t currently fly the C17.

Home of the 141st Air Refueling Wing (http://www.141arw.ang.af.mil)

A commute to GEG from SEA is short and easy. Or vice versa. Lotsa jumpseats, Compass, Horizon, heck, even Ameriflight will fly you BFI to SFF, just a couple short UBER rides involved. And the Wa ANG flies KC-135s.

Give them a call. It might work out.

http://www.141arw.ang.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/437652/141st-prior-service-pilot-application-process/

Hmm, apparently you would have to live in Spokane though, not that that's a bad thing.

popNfresh
04-30-2018, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I have an interview with SkyWest next week but I just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I already got the "We have enough pilots for the summer" emails from Envoy and Endeavor so I'm looking for some other options to apply to as well.

I wouldnít hold your breath getting back to the PNW at Skywest. CRJ is leaving SEA, and there has been no growth in SEA/PDX for a while. Just announced that SkyWest agreed to defer 3 ERJs for Alaska until 2021. Morale is also pretty low. But tons of flying out east!!!

Thermthomas1984
05-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Home of the 141st Air Refueling Wing (http://www.141arw.ang.af.mil)

A commute to GEG from SEA is short and easy. Or vice versa. Lotsa jumpseats, Compass, Horizon, heck, even Ameriflight will fly you BFI to SFF, just a couple short UBER rides involved. And the Wa ANG flies KC-135s.

Give them a call. It might work out.

141st Prior Service Pilot Application Process > 141st Air Refueling Wing > Display (http://www.141arw.ang.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/437652/141st-prior-service-pilot-application-process/)

Hmm, apparently you would have to live in Spokane though, not that that's a bad thing.

Yeah, I have a couple of buddies from UPT that are in that unit. They do want you to live within like 90 mins of the base. But it is something that might be different if I was flying for an airline. I can check it out. Appreciate all the help.

Thermthomas1984
05-02-2018, 05:36 PM
I wouldnít hold your breath getting back to the PNW at Skywest. CRJ is leaving SEA, and there has been no growth in SEA/PDX for a while. Just announced that SkyWest agreed to defer 3 ERJs for Alaska until 2021. Morale is also pretty low. But tons of flying out east!!!

Yeah, I'm not planning on making the move back up there until I (hopefully) get on with a major. Who knows whats going to happen, but a man can hope.

Zigfly78
05-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Hello Compass sky warriors! Iím a Army reserve helo pilot currently in Afghanistan making the transition to the airlines after 20 years in the military. Lots of good energy here from the pilots unlike the other regionals. I was working a gov helo job in Los Angeles and donít really care which of the three bases I get assigned. QOL is my biggest concern and Iím flexible enough to move as needed to avoid commuting. Most of my questions have already been answered here so Iíll just say that I appreciate the honest feedback. I will be going through the rotor transition and most likely using a school in the LA basin because Iím familiar with the local airspace. Application is in.

Oh... Iím s big freediver and Spearo and know where the WSB hang out :D

ConfCodeCOOL
05-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Hello Compass sky warriors! Iím a Army reserve helo pilot currently in Afghanistan making the transition to the airlines after 20 years in the military. Lots of good energy here from the pilots unlike the other regionals. I was working a gov helo job in Los Angeles and donít really care which of the three bases I get assigned. QOL is my biggest concern and Iím flexible enough to move as needed to avoid commuting. Most of my questions have already been answered here so Iíll just say that I appreciate the honest feedback. I will be going through the rotor transition and most likely using a school in the LA basin because Iím familiar with the local airspace. Application is in.

Oh... Iím s big freediver and Spearo and know where the WSB hang out :D

Welcome! Caution for hang gliding activity near LAX airport...

If you want LAX, you'll hold it out of training or at least by the time you start IOE, all 3 bases are still going to new hires.

poorflyer
05-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Welcome! Caution for hang gliding activity near LAX airport...

If you want LAX, you'll hold it out of training or at least by the time you start IOE, all 3 bases are still going to new hires.

Has anyone actually seen hang gliders out there? Like is that a real thing or some tradition that LAX has. If it's real does anyone want to go with me.

Aviator147
05-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Has anyone actually seen hang gliders out there? Like is that a real thing or some tradition that LAX has. If it's real does anyone want to go with me.

yea theres a guy on the beach who gives lessons. they run off a sand embankment and glide like 50-100 yards towards the ocean

jungle driver
05-14-2018, 10:24 PM
cool so who wants to start a Compass hang gliding club?

N914FJ
05-15-2018, 03:24 AM
cool so who wants to start a Compass hang gliding club?

How many MEL stickers can you put on a hang glider?

PanchoBarnes
05-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Havenít really taken time to read this whole thread, but Iíll answer the title question.
Yes I am happy, but also looking forward to moving on. Flying a lot, which can be good and bad depending on days off you need.

Never really had any major issues with the company. Enjoy most of the other crewmembers; miss some of the flying out east for variety.

TL;DR content.Things could be improved. Not unhappy.

210Av8r
05-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Haven’t really taken time to read this whole thread, but I’ll answer the title question.
Yes I am happy, but also looking forward to moving on. Flying a lot, which can be good and bad depending on days off you need.

Never really had any major issues with the company. Enjoy most of the other crewmembers; miss some of the flying out east for variety.

TL;DR content.Things could be improved. Not unhappy.

How long have you been there and what is your hope for next step?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1