Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : LGA v PHL for new hire

sherpster
12-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Old guy here so I anticipate getting an early pick of equipment/base when I go to class in Jan. Seems like the trend is LGA 737, LGA 320, and PHL 190 are always available. I would be commuting with 12 daily non stop flights to LGA and 6 daily non stops to PHL. Anyone have any thoughts on which jet would be better for a new hire to quickly get a line/minimize the pain of being a new hire? Thanks in advance.

mainlineAF
12-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Old guy here so I anticipate getting an early pick of equipment/base when I go to class in Jan. Seems like the trend is LGA 737, LGA 320, and PHL 190 are always available. I would be commuting with 12 daily non stop flights to LGA and 6 daily non stops to PHL. Anyone have any thoughts on which jet would be better for a new hire to quickly get a line/minimize the pain of being a new hire? Thanks in advance.

PHL 100% over LGA for a commuter. LGA has early starts, late finishes and you have to cover the 3 airports. Plus when the weather gets bad that place is insane.

Iíd go PHL no doubt about it.

Sunfish FAIP
12-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Following.....

What about MIA or CLT?

viper548
12-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Movement on the E-190 is fast and that is probably the fastest way to holding a line. We were not currently taking Airbus deliveries but are still getting some 737s. There's movement in both fleets but there will be more in the 737 as the deliveries replace the MD80. DFW MD-80 may be offered as well. You'd likely be on that until October then you can displace into any position that has someone junior to you.

Sunfish FAIP
12-16-2017, 04:25 PM
What kind of flying does the 190 get into?

typical41
12-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Movement on the E-190 is fast and that is probably the fastest way to holding a line. We were not currently taking Airbus deliveries but are still getting some 737s. There's movement in both fleets but there will be more in the 737 as the deliveries replace the MD80. DFW MD-80 may be offered as well. You'd likely be on that until October then you can displace into any position that has someone junior to you.

What is considered fast movement on 190?

mainlineAF
12-16-2017, 05:36 PM
What kind of flying does the 190 get into?

Lots of shuttle flying (DCA, BOS, LGA) mixed in with short legs on the east coast. A few long flights to AUS, MSY, MSP and south Florida.

nimslow
12-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Following.....

What about MIA or CLT?

In MIA you have to cover three airports, MIA, FLL, and PBI. CLT only one. All other things being equal I'd probably go with CLT.

sherpster
12-16-2017, 06:39 PM
I would imagine decent crashpads are cheaper in philly.

PRS Guitars
12-16-2017, 07:50 PM
I would imagine decent crashpads are cheaper in philly.

Yes, very reasonable, and an easy bus ride to Essington.

viper548
12-16-2017, 08:41 PM
What is considered fast movement on 190?

Very few FOs stay on it for more than a year but they can seat lock you for up to a year, so it depends how long they are holding people at any given time. It's typically less than 6 months to hold a line.

Da Magic
12-18-2017, 03:45 PM
FO LGA 737 D is holding a line at 6 months. Of course not many leave off the top as compared to the 190.

mainlineAF
12-18-2017, 04:31 PM
FO LGA 737 D is holding a line at 6 months. Of course not many leave off the top as compared to the 190.

The 73 trips in LGA are awful. Early starts, late finishes, cover all 3 airports, not a lot of 4 days. All of those suck for commuters.

PHL 190 would be a much better choice.

Da Magic
12-18-2017, 07:52 PM
The 73 trips in LGA are awful. Early starts, late finishes, cover all 3 airports, not a lot of 4 days. All of those suck for commuters.

PHL 190 would be a much better choice.

Unless you like the trans cons. Late starts early finishes! Iíll take the 3 day over the 4 day, especially when on reserve.

sherpster
12-19-2017, 02:35 AM
Can anyone share how many E190 FOís there are and how many LGA 737 D FOís there are?

Previous drops are @5 E190 and @15 LGA 737 D. Man, I am a needy sob. Thank you

PRS Guitars
12-19-2017, 04:56 AM
Can anyone share how many E190 FOís there are and how many LGA 737 D FOís there are?

Previous drops are @5 E190 and @15 LGA 737 D. Man, I am a needy sob. Thank you

As of Jan PBS award PHL 190 is 146, LGA 737 is 240

Name User
12-19-2017, 06:06 AM
They are supposed to be putting 10 guys a month in the S80, if you can get that you will be displaced off in Sept 18 which means maybe six months of actual commuting. The benefit is when displaced you can go anywhere your seniority will hold, not just what is available.

Long term gain vs short term pain.

The E190 flying is tough but I would much prefer that over commuting to NYC on a narrow body. Also thI crash pad situation in PHL is really good. Lots of good ones available for $225-ish with super easy transportation.

sherpster
12-19-2017, 06:13 AM
As of Jan PBS award PHL 190 is 146, LGA 737 is 240

Ummm, Good info. I didnt realize they were even close. Was thinking 100 v 400. Thanks again

ORDinary
12-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Has PHL 767 been filled yet? Does anyone want to speculate how junior it will get if not?

Saabs
12-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Yes, very reasonable, and an easy bus ride to Essington.

Nothing like a nice holiday meal at the WaWa.

Al Czervik
12-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Back when the never used reserves the most exciting part of my day was the walk to get coffee a Wawa.

EMBFlyer
12-19-2017, 12:54 PM

That was my Thanksgiving dinner in 2015...when even the Chinese restaurant was closed!

biigD
12-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Lou Turkís!

Essingtonís finest! Tuesdays are 2 for 1 cold sore night.

PRS Guitars
12-19-2017, 02:06 PM
I like all of the blue collar Irish pubs. I think they probably have the most Irish pubs per capita in PA.

Surprise
12-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Back when the never used reserves the most exciting part of my day was the walk to get coffee a Wawa.

Same here. I mustíve walked passed you on Governor Printz once or twice!

Al Czervik
12-20-2017, 02:10 AM
Same here. I mustíve walked passed you on Governor Printz once or twice!

Haha. Probably.

sherpster
12-20-2017, 02:57 AM
Just looking at the last years drops it would seem LGA would yield the biggest move up in seniority. With that said, the crashpad options look horrible compared to PHL.

mainlineAF
12-20-2017, 05:21 AM
Just looking at the last years drops it would seem LGA would yield the biggest move up in seniority. With that said, the crashpad options look horrible compared to PHL.

You would be crazy to choose LGA over PHL. Thereís really no comparison as long as your commute to PHL is ok.

Sliceback
12-20-2017, 05:42 AM
You would be crazy to choose LGA over PHL. Thereís really no comparison as long as your commute to PHL is ok.

x2. Two or three airports vs one. More delays. And PHL has more AB flights which have 2 jumpseatís.

You can always commute into BWI or DCA and rent a car if need be.

Mover
12-20-2017, 05:42 AM

Don't go to LGA.

Also, chill out and enjoy your time off. You are spending way too many brain bytes on this.

adam28
12-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Hotels are also pretty cheap in PHL. If you wanted to eventually ditch a Crashpad

EMBFlyer
12-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Lou Turkís!

Essingtonís finest! Tuesdays are 2 for 1 cold sore night.

I never went in there because I'm a big believer of there are some things you cannot unsee!

I like all of the blue collar Irish pubs. I think they probably have the most Irish pubs per capita in PA.

Loved the bars around Essington! Where else can you get $1.50 Yuengling?

Saabs
12-20-2017, 08:07 AM

I still prefer their subs over subway. That was often the highlight of my day as well.

7576FO
12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
In MIA you have to cover three airports, MIA, FLL, and PBI. CLT only one. All other things being equal I'd probably go with CLT.

In MIA, FLL rarely goes to reserve. PBI almost never.

jcountry
12-21-2017, 04:37 AM
Awwww come on boys-whereís your sense of adventure?

LGA is like stepping into a war zone-and you donít even have to get your passport stamped.

A little disaster tourism never hurt anyone-lately

sherpster
01-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Ummm, Good info. I didnt realize they were even close. Was thinking 100 v 400. Thanks again

Follow up question.

How many 320 LGA FOís are there? Thanks

joseolay
01-17-2018, 05:36 AM
How long to hold a line on LGA 737? Are trips at least commutable on one end, front or back? I've read you can drop trips from your base and pick up from other bases but a AA guy told me this is not allowed? thx

OVBIII
01-17-2018, 05:53 AM
How long to hold a line on LGA 737? Are trips at least commutable on one end, front or back? I've read you can drop trips from your base and pick up from other bases but a AA guy told me this is not allowed? thx

First, a response to the post above yours...173 LGA 320 FOs.

Now...

You can absolutely drop and pick up in other bases. It is one way commuters can increase their QOL. The timeline to a line varies, but 8-10 months is what I have seen (that is on the 737 in LGA Domestic). If you are a junior line holder, dropping trips can be tough...mainly because you get all the non commutable ones. BUT it's doable.

MGMTiswatchingU
01-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Is MIA super senior for FOs? How hard is it lately to get hired off tge streets? Will it get better?

Clint
01-18-2018, 02:29 AM
The bottom lineholder in February is only 15 spots above the lowest reserve who is not in training for part of the month. Based on that, you should be holding a line in a month or two. Iíve seen guys come straight off OE into a line.

Yes, most trips are commutable one at least one end, depending on your commute location.

Drop and out of base pick up is allowed as previously mentioned.

Is MIA super senior for FOs?
No, you should get MIA within a month or two. Maybe a little longer for the 320.

MGMTiswatchingU
01-18-2018, 05:40 AM
The bottom lineholder in February is only 15 spots above the lowest reserve who is not in training for part of the month. Based on that, you should be holding a line in a month or two. Iíve seen guys come straight off OE into a line.

Yes, most trips are commutable one at least one end, depending on your commute location.

Drop and out of base pick up is allowed as previously mentioned.

No, you should get MIA within a month or two. Maybe a little longer for the 320.

Oh ok wat about hiring off the street? Is that looking seemingly more difficult than any other legacies?, American would be my end game. But most likely apply off the streets, instead of WOs flow.

mainlineAF
01-18-2018, 05:52 AM

The LGA 737 trips are garbage. Tons of early starts, late finishes, sometimes both, plenty of EWR. I considered bidding up there but decided against it when i saw that.

Hereís a sample of some of the pairings on a random Wed in January.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/77c792a33c6fbee4add1dcdd3eda252e.jpg

Sliceback
01-18-2018, 06:21 AM
Is MIA super senior for FOs? How hard is it lately to get hired off tge streets? Will it get better?

No. MIA is one of the junior bases (LGA/PHL/MIA).

+/- numbers -

56% flows/44% OTS.

Of the 44% 80% MIL/20% civilian.

So flow is 56%, MIL is 35%, CIV is 9%.

TransWorld
01-18-2018, 06:35 AM
+/- numbers -

56% flows/44% OTS.

Slice -

As the planned hiring for 2018 is 920, up from 645 last year, do you think the OTS CIV will increase significantly?

I know PSA is increasing flow by 3 or 4 a month. Have not heard of any increases from Envoy nor Piedmont. I would assume the pool of OTS MIL is pretty static.

My crystal ball says most of these increase would have to come from OTS CIV. Might even nearly equal OTS MIL. Maybe 45-30-25??

MGMTiswatchingU
01-18-2018, 07:13 AM
No. MIA is one of the junior bases (LGA/PHL/MIA).

+/- numbers -

56% flows/44% OTS.

Thanks slice

MGMTiswatchingU
01-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Also, I was looking at pilot credentials for American (the qualifications section). I see nothing listed for PIC time or any time at all, like total time and such. What's the minimum level of hrs to start being a lil bit competitive and land an interview with American?

stillageek
01-18-2018, 08:54 AM
When I was interviewed I had roughly 6200 TT with 750 121 TPIC with another 400 PIC from my CFI days. Wholly owned RJ CA. Job fairs...job fairs...interview prep...volunteering in and outside of the airline and job fairs got me the job.

sherpster
01-18-2018, 09:01 AM
The LGA 737 trips are garbage. Tons of early starts, late finishes, sometimes both, plenty of EWR. I considered bidding up there but decided against it when i saw that.

Hereís a sample of some of the pairings on a random Wed in January.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/77c792a33c6fbee4add1dcdd3eda252e.jpg

For the uneducated like myself who are pondering E190 v LGA 737, when a trip starts at LGA does it always end in LGA? Whats the rough percentage of trips LGA v EWR V JFK? I looked into crashpads in NY and they seem high priced and not very nice (compared to PHL crashpads anyways).

Looking at historical drops over the last year it appears bidding LGA will result in quicker seniority.

I know you guys have better things to do than answer these non-stop questions so Thank You in advance

MGMTiswatchingU
01-18-2018, 09:42 AM
When I was interviewed I had roughly 6200 TT with 750 121 TPIC with another 400 PIC from my CFI days. Wholly owned RJ CA. Job fairs...job fairs...interview prep...volunteering in and outside of the airline and job fairs got me the job.

Oh ok thanks

mainlineAF
01-18-2018, 11:08 AM
For the uneducated like myself who are pondering E190 v LGA 737, when a trip starts at LGA does it always end in LGA? Whats the rough percentage of trips LGA v EWR V JFK? I looked into crashpads in NY and they seem high priced and not very nice (compared to PHL crashpads anyways).

Looking at historical drops over the last year it appears bidding LGA will result in quicker seniority.

I know you guys have better things to do than answer these non-stop questions so Thank You in advance

Itís your choice and i know youíre gathering info but if your commute to PHL is ok imo youíd be crazy not to bid PHL 190. The trips are better, your seniority will be better, cheaper pads, then youíll get paid Group 2 when you bid off and still have a good schedule on the 190. Only negative is you have to go to training again.

If i remember correctly Iíd say EWR is maybe 25% of the trips and the rest are a pretty even split between LGA/JFK for the 73.

sherpster
01-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Thanks. 6 non stops a day to PHL.

I saw a junior guys 190 schedule, 4 day trip and commutable on either end.

Kebert Xela
01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the info. Really helps out the next guys coming up. Trying to weigh pros and cons of LGA vs PHL myself. Live within easy drive to DFW but all my AA bubbas tell me I'd be crazy to take PHL....

Reading everything I have on these forums it seems the opposite. Seems like a weird conflict. I know different strokes and all but you think there'd be an 80% solution:)

Kebert Xela
01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the info. Really helps out the next guys coming up. Trying to weigh pros and cons of LGA vs PHL myself. Live within easy drive to DFW but all my AA bubbas tell me I'd be crazy to take PHL....

Reading everything I have on these forums it seems the opposite. Seems like a weird conflict. I know different strokes and all but you think there'd be an 80% solution:)

Also to make it fair my buds know I have family in Staten Island if that changes the perspective at all.

Easy drive to DFW (ultimate domicile goal) with family in NYC.... LGA vs PHL. That is the question!

Clint
01-19-2018, 02:23 AM
If a trip ends at a different base within the domicile, theyíre responsible for getting you surface transportation back to your point of origin. It happens, but not often that Iíve seen.

As far as location, it sounds like neither of those locations is your domicile. If the 190 is one of your options, donít consider PHL prices, crash pads and trips in your decision. With the 737 and 320 out of LGA (or DCA) you can bid out quickly to a different domicile, if not your desired domicile. On the 190 youíre stuck with at least a six month lock until you can move airframes.

EMBFlyer
01-19-2018, 03:30 AM

Why? I'm just curious why they'd say that. I know PHL wasn't invented here, but I'd love to hear their logic.

Kebert Xela
01-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Why? I'm just curious why they'd say that. I know PHL wasn't invented here, but I'd love to hear their logic.

I guess their reasoning is based more on aircraft and not location. Here are some bullet points.

- 737 growing fleet
- after a few months I should be on long call and could have the possibility of picking up out of DFW
- with the 73 I can bid a different base without incurring a lock commitment vs being in PHL and possibility of withheld there for a year
- knowing I will definitely bid off the 190 incurs the 2 year seat lock so if something better comes along I'll be stuck vs I'll stay on the 73 until I hold DFW or bigger plane comes along. Kinda keeps options more open.
- flying the 73 will help with transition to bigger boeings later.

Possibility of being able to pick up out of DFW, being withheld up to a year in PHL, and a guaranteed seat lock (cause I will bid off 190) vs keeping options open are my selling points. LGA for me I believe.

Mover
01-26-2018, 04:11 AM
- after a few months I should be on long call and could have the possibility of picking up out of DFW

Out of base makeup is only for line holders, not long call. You can only do Over Guarantee on your days off in base on long call.

DFW also has the airbus so the 73 is not better in that sense.

Battlinbear21
01-26-2018, 06:17 AM
Wish I saw this thread before posting almost exactly the same question in a different one. Start in March and live in Annapolis. Goal is to be based at National for the flying and 35 mile drive when Iím able to hold it. So if I get a option of equipment gonna be a tough choice. 190 w 2 hour drive to phl and another return trip to Training for different AC, and deal that commute for 6-12 months. After hearing about the am starts and pm finishes in ny, Iím hesitant to do that. That is if I have a choice..I should though. Im 35, so itís prolly middle to upper side of seniority in the NH class?
Thanks again for all the info everyone posted.

meyers9163
01-26-2018, 07:59 AM
I guess their reasoning is based more on aircraft and not location. Here are some bullet points.

- 737 growing fleet
- with the 73 I can bid a different base without incurring a lock commitment vs being in PHL and possibility of withheld there for a year
- knowing I will definitely bid off the 190 incurs the 2 year seat lock so if something better comes along I'll be stuck vs I'll stay on the 73 until I hold DFW or bigger plane comes along. Kinda keeps options more open.

Possibility of being able to pick up out of DFW, being withheld up to a year in PHL, and a guaranteed seat lock (cause I will bid off 190) vs keeping options open are my selling points. LGA for me I believe.

Not sure who your buddies are but lots of bad information in that post.

Otterbox
01-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Wish I saw this thread before posting almost exactly the same question in a different one. Start in March and live in Annapolis. Goal is to be based at National for the flying and 35 mile drive when Iím able to hold it. So if I get a option of equipment gonna be a tough choice. 190 w 2 hour drive to phl and another return trip to Training for different AC, and deal that commute for 6-12 months. After hearing about the am starts and pm finishes in ny, Iím hesitant to do that. That is if I have a choice..I should though. Im 35, so itís prolly middle to upper side of seniority in the NH class?
Thanks again for all the info everyone posted.

35 would generally be in the lower end of the seniority of NHs in AAs classes.

If youíre able to get 190 PHL, expect to be displaced when they get rid of the 190 if you havenít bid off of it already to get DCA. This last class 190 went senior though so it may not be an issue to worry about.

Kebert Xela
01-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Not sure who your buddies are but lots of bad information in that post.

Can you tell me why you feel differently?

mainlineAF
01-26-2018, 03:45 PM
35 would generally be in the lower end of the seniority of NHs in AAs classes.

If youíre able to get 190 PHL, expect to be displaced when they get rid of the 190 if you havenít bid off of it already to get DCA. This last class 190 went senior though so it may not be an issue to worry about.

190s wonít be parked until October 19 so new hires wonít be getting displaced off of it for a while.

sherpster
01-26-2018, 06:15 PM
I took 737. Faster movement. Iíll report back in a few months if that was a miatake or not.

PRS Guitars
01-26-2018, 10:10 PM

- 737 growing fleet

To answer the question you posed to Meyers...don’t know how to edit quotes, so I’ll number my responses.

1. True, though 80 and 767 displacements will offset that somewhat. Also, the AB will be a growing fleet starting in 2019.

2. Not true, you can only pick up in base on Long Call days off, so you’d have to be based at DFW already. Also, even if this were true, it’d work with the Airbus as well...so it’s machts nichts.

3. It’d be 18 months and would only apply to the 190, so yes a valid reason to not choose the 190, but not a valid reason to skip the AB in PHL.

4. I just don’t see this as an issue, I’m sure it’s not difficult to transition from the Airbus to a bigger Boeing. You’ll be going through the full training program no matter what.

So, yeah, I’d avoid the 190, but not PHL in general. Commuting to PHL is a lot easier and cheaper than LGA. But go for the Airbus not the 190.

Kebert Xela
01-26-2018, 10:30 PM
To answer the question you posed to Meyers...donít know how to edit quotes, so Iíll number my responses.

All valid thank you for the reply. My drop didnít have any AB to PHL and ironically I am young enough to not have a choice anyhow:D. I was going 73 LGA no matter what, all I could choose was the date.

Interesting points none the less, hope sharing the info can help the upcoming round of guys.

Cheddar
01-27-2018, 03:51 AM
Congrats and welcome! Thereís a lot of bad info out there, even from folks that have been on property for awhile.

Have your bids in with what you really want - you could be surprised sooner rather than later.

Right now 737 is having a lot more movement in DFW in the last year, but for the preceding two it was the bus.

Remember, both the S80 and 756 are leaving in the next couple of years, so thatís about 200-250 FOís displacing to group 2 and 4 jobs in DFW.

To one of your points- You can stay in a jr base, hold a line and drop trips and pick up out-of-base make up. I know thereís a few on here that have been successful with that strategy awaiting their bids into DFW.

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meyers9163
01-27-2018, 05:11 AM
To answer the question you posed to Meyers...donít know how to edit quotes, so Iíll number my responses.

1. True, though 80 and 767 displacements will offset that somewhat. Also, the AB will be a growing fleet starting in 2019.

2. Not true, you can only pick up in base on Long Call days off, so youíd have to be based at DFW already. Also, even if this were true, itíd work with the Airbus as well...so itís machts nichts.

3. Itíd be 18 months and would only apply to the 190, so yes a valid reason to not choose the 190, but not a valid reason to skip the AB in PHL.

4. I just donít see this as an issue, Iím sure itís not difficult to transition from the Airbus to a bigger Boeing. Youíll be going through the full training program no matter what.

So, yeah, Iíd avoid the 190, but not PHL in general. Commuting to PHL is a lot easier and cheaper than LGA. But go for the Airbus not the 190.

Thanks. Also isnít first seat lock 6 months now and second one is 24? So avoiding the 190 means you avoid maybe a 6 month lock. Depending I would say most of that lock is done while in Indoc and training on the E190. And like we said 190 normally goes senior so if young itís typically a non factor anyways.

Yes add we are going to park 737s too. Last check we arenít really growing that fleet by a huge number. Add 767 reductions, 190 and md80 Iíd say youll see movement on 737 or AB. Honestly having done 190, airbus and 737 if you have a choice I wonít lie 737 would be my 3rd pick.

Typically E190 is an easy easy transition for many. However going bigger wonít matter if you are on the E190 vs airbus or 737. Thatís just a silly view. An airplanes an airplane and honestly the Airbus has a view that lines up more so with being higher up and a higher pitch. Again theyíll train you how to land anything bigger and that should never play into an equation.

Sounds like it didnít matter anyways. However minus NYC Iím not sure how much new hires are holding blocks in MIA or any other base. Think a few junior guys got 737 blocks in DCA but again Iím not sure how long itís taking junior guys now to get blocks. Iím with a 10 month guy in Miami on the 737 and sounds like heís not close to a block. Before getting a block you arenít picking up in DFW anyways. Also id add to pick up in DFW youíd be close to the last person to get a chance to pick it up. Thereís a pecking order to picking up out of base and it at times takes a minor miracle for it all to match up and being able to do. Further if able to you literally have in some cases only 24 hours or less notice. You simply canít plan on it.

Battlinbear21
01-27-2018, 05:29 AM
Thank you again to everyone who took time to reply to us who are trying to make a ďplan.Ē 2 questions.
1) DC... Is it like nyc where you might start a trip from the closer airports iAd and Bwi as well? If Ewr is only 25% of ny trip my guess would be less for those two airports?
2) does anyone use Amtrak to get into the city who is based in NY? Trains run 24 hrs and from my spot stop at ewr before penn. Probably not cost effective, but potentially never have to spend a night in a CP.

meyers9163
01-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Thank you again to everyone who took time to reply to us who are trying to make a ďplan.Ē 2 questions.
1) DC... Is it like nyc where you might start a trip from the closer airports iAd and Bwi as well? If Ewr is only 25% of ny trip my guess would be less for those two airports?
2) does anyone use Amtrak to get into the city who is based in NY? Trains run 24 hrs and from my spot stop at ewr before penn. Probably not cost effective, but potentially never have to spend a night in a CP.

Technically yes DCA and NYC are all tri bases. However youíll always start and finish in the same airport for a trip. Definitely trips out of BWI but someone else can comment better on it.

Also for some reason I keep hearing 737 growth. Not sure where that comes from. However without looking at numbers I vaguely recall 300 or so 737 vs almost 400 319/320/321s? So airbus is about 25% more aircraft.

Smoke Toliet
01-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Sounds like it didnít matter anyways. However minus NYC Iím not sure how much new hires are holding blocks in MIA or any other base. Think a few junior guys got 737 blocks in DCA but again Iím not sure how long itís taking junior guys now to get blocks. Iím with a 10 month guy in Miami on the 737 and sounds like heís not close to a block. Before getting a block you arenít picking up in DFW anyways. Also id add to pick up in DFW youíd be close to the last person to get a chance to pick it up. Thereís a pecking order to picking up out of base and it at times takes a minor miracle for it all to match up and being able to do. Further if able to you literally have in some cases only 24 hours or less notice. You simply canít plan on it.[/QUOTE]

Whatís a block?

Cheddar
01-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Itís what the LUS folks call lines.

meyers9163
01-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Itís what the LUS folks call lines.

And a few others as well. Just remember itís a good aircraft ;)

Saabs
01-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Sounds like it didnít matter anyways. However minus NYC Iím not sure how much new hires are holding blocks in MIA or any other base. Think a few junior guys got 737 blocks in DCA but again Iím not sure how long itís taking junior guys now to get blocks. Iím with a 10 month guy in Miami on the 737 and sounds like heís not close to a block. Before getting a block you arenít picking up in DFW anyways. Also id add to pick up in DFW youíd be close to the last person to get a chance to pick it up. Thereís a pecking order to picking up out of base and it at times takes a minor miracle for it all to match up and being able to do. Further if able to you literally have in some cases only 24 hours or less notice. You simply canít plan on it.

Whatís a block?[/QUOTE]

Whatís a sequence ;)

Sliceback
01-28-2018, 07:13 AM
ďAlso for some reason I keep hearing 737 growth. Not sure where that comes from.ď

2018 deliveries -

737 - 16(20??)
321 - 0

In 2019 it shifts to -

737 - 20
321 - 25

meyers9163
01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
ďAlso for some reason I keep hearing 737 growth. Not sure where that comes from.ď

2018 deliveries -

737 - 16(20??)
321 - 0

In 2019 it shifts to -

737 - 20
321 - 25

Are we not parking 737s? Asking as I donít follow much these days.

Sliceback
01-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Iím not up to speed on 737 retirements but the oldest aircraft are only 18 yrs old so I doubt it.

Old A320ís have been getting retired. Iím not sure how many old 320ís are left.

EMBFlyer
01-29-2018, 12:30 AM
Iím not up to speed on 737 retirements but the oldest aircraft are only 18 yrs old so I doubt it.

Old A320ís have been getting retired. Iím not sure how many old 320ís are left.

The latest SEC filing showed a reduction in 737s in a couple of years. I would imagine those would be the pre-9/11 ones with the old HUD.

Sliceback
01-29-2018, 06:58 AM
Thanks. Iíll look at the filing.