Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : AB forward power ports

Arado 234
12-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Heard that a f/o plugged in a George Foreman grill and fried the inverter.

Saabs
12-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Huh? We aren’t allowed to use them

Sliceback
12-18-2017, 09:47 AM

You sound like a marriage counselor who’s also an electrian - “you know you’re not supposed to use that socket...”

Name User
12-18-2017, 10:30 AM
My two patty George Foreman grill is 1000w which is under 9 amps and our iPad chargers are all 10 or 12 amp plugs. So not buying this one.

Plus the CB would pop for excessive amp draw waaaay before it hurt the inverter...those are pretty beefy units I don't know the capacity on the AB but normally they are around 100 amps a piece.

Some of the LCCs have an issue with guys plugging in hot plate warmers to heat up food, haven't heard of any smoke with those yet.

Arado 234
12-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Sorry. Forgot to add that the reason not to use those forward power outlets was because of that incident.

Sliceback
12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Instead of saying we cannot use them and wouldn’t it be easier to say quit using cheap grills in the cockpit??

Name User
12-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Sorry. Forgot to add that the reason not to use those forward power outlets was because of that incident.

What?!? When did that memo come out? I've been plugging in as well as most everyone I've flown with for years.

Bob Loblaw
12-18-2017, 01:28 PM
My two patty George Foreman grill is 1000w which is under 9 amps and our iPad chargers are all 10 or 12 amp plugs. So not buying this one.

Plus the CB would pop for excessive amp draw waaaay before it hurt the inverter...those are pretty beefy units I don't know the capacity on the AB but normally they are around 100 amps a piece.

Some of the LCCs have an issue with guys plugging in hot plate warmers to heat up food, haven't heard of any smoke with those yet.

The stock charger output is 10 or 12 watts, which at 5 volts, is under 2.5 amps. Input amperage is around 0.5 at 120v.

fartsarefunny
12-18-2017, 02:04 PM
What?!? When did that memo come out? I've been plugging in as well as most everyone I've flown with for years.

About a month ago...on SEL on release. I believe it only effects enhanced aircraft and it had to due with an issue with inverters going bad, allegedly because of forward port use...

TR 17.1 SEL - Forward Power Outlets Unavailable
Background. Airbus has indicated that some A320 family operators experienced inflight failure of a static inverter that provides power to the electrical outlets at the captain's and first officer's positions on Enhanced aircraft. This failure results in a strong, acrid electrical odor, which may be followed by light smoke from the central pedestal. The
cause of this has been clearly identified to impact certain inverters that power these outlets.

SEL 24, "Forward Power Outlets Unavailable" has been added to 6.1.8 Special Equipment List (SEL) Items. For aircraft with this SEL applied, do not use the captain or first officer electrical power outlets. The outlet on the flightdeck back wall remains available and may be used.

American Airlines Technical Operations is working to specifically inspect and identify the enhanced aircraft with the effected inverters. As aircraft are confirmed by maintenance to be unaffected or are repaired, SEL 24 will be removed and these outlets may be used.

TheRaven
12-18-2017, 02:22 PM

I'm going to guess you don't know much about electricity. 10 or 12 Watt IPad adapters, which put out around 2 1/2 Amps.

450knotOffice
12-18-2017, 04:25 PM
They are out of service. Maintenance pulled /collared the breaker, st least on the planes I checked.

Al Czervik
12-18-2017, 05:21 PM
I'm going to guess you don't know much about electricity. 10 or 12 Watt IPad adapters, which put out around 2 1/2 Amps.

220, 221. What ever it takes.

Name User
12-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Ha. Just looked again. You're right 12W.

Name User
12-18-2017, 06:31 PM
About a month ago...on SEL on release. I believe it only effects enhanced aircraft and it had to due with an issue with inverters going bad, allegedly because of forward port use...

TR 17.1 SEL - Forward Power Outlets Unavailable
Background. Airbus has indicated that some A320 family operators experienced inflight failure of a static inverter that provides power to the electrical outlets at the captain's and first officer's positions on Enhanced aircraft. This failure results in a strong, acrid electrical odor, which may be followed by light smoke from the central pedestal. The
cause of this has been clearly identified to impact certain inverters that power these outlets.

SEL 24, "Forward Power Outlets Unavailable" has been added to 6.1.8 Special Equipment List (SEL) Items. For aircraft with this SEL applied, do not use the captain or first officer electrical power outlets. The outlet on the flightdeck back wall remains available and may be used.

American Airlines Technical Operations is working to specifically inspect and identify the enhanced aircraft with the effected inverters. As aircraft are confirmed by maintenance to be unaffected or are repaired, SEL 24 will be removed and these outlets may be used.
Ah that makes sense why I didn't see it

cynicalaviator
12-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Instead of saying we cannot use them and wouldn’t it be easier to say quit using cheap grills in the cockpit??

This is a joke, correct? Are people really using grills in the cockpit?

A330FoodCritic
12-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Heard that a f/o plugged in a George Foreman grill and fried the inverter.

Are you kidding?

Arado 234
12-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Are you kidding?

I wish. Heard it from different people, so it almost seems legit...

A330FoodCritic
12-19-2017, 02:41 PM
I wish. Heard it from different people, so it almost seems legit...

Wow!..........

TheRaven
12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
This is a joke, correct? Are people really using grills in the cockpit?

This us why I only use a propane grill at work....much better flavor than electric....better at wearing the meat too.

full of luv
12-19-2017, 07:44 PM
This us why I only use a propane grill at work....much better flavor than electric....better at wearing the meat too.

Charcoal baby green egg is what brought down Malaysian Air 370.:eek:

MoeLarryCheese
12-20-2017, 04:28 AM
Is this what they mean by not keeping up with current events?

TransWorld
12-20-2017, 06:08 AM
Charcoal baby green egg is what brought down Malaysian Air 370.:eek:

I like charcoal cooked steaks on those long flights. Flavor is much better. Only concern is I have is to keep my emotional therapy lion out of it. First officers do half the double take with the lion as they do for my seeing eye dog.

Bob Loblaw
12-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Taste the meat, not the heat.