Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Aviationluver
12-18-2017, 10:29 AM
If I have the opportunity to get typed in a corporate airplane, which type would you recommend for marketability?

In other words, which jobs would be most available?

Based on some job boards I've seen it appears as if King Airs, Challengers and Gulfstream pilot positions are the most available.

Your two cents?

galaxy flyer
12-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Do you have a job offer? If so, it’ll be in whatever type the fly. If not, it’s just beyond silly to buy a rating in the hope you’ll find an employer dumb enough to use possession of a rating as the key discriminator.

G650 and Globals operators have the most contractor demand, but they want “time in type”. I could do all the Global and CL350 work I could stomach, but I have slathers of time in both.

GF

USMCFLYR
12-18-2017, 05:01 PM
I have no idea but I'll venture a guess and say the Cessna 500 series type rating would open up the most possibilities.

Yoda2
12-18-2017, 05:46 PM
I have no idea but I'll venture a guess and say the Cessna 500 series type rating would open up the most possibilities.

Probably so, though the Howard 500 would be way cooler:)

Liberty Pilot
12-18-2017, 05:56 PM
I would let your future employer pay for your type rating. If you are going for a PIC slot I don't see an employer hiring you just on the fact you have a type rating with no time in type. It seems like you would be attracting the companies that are trying to save a couple bucks if you used the rating as a way into a company. Typically those aren't the companies you want to work for. Maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck.

PICsf340
12-19-2017, 03:58 AM
A few years ago, I would have said the CE-500 type, because it encompasses so many airframes. However, I might strongly consider the 525 type now. A lot of the airframes that are included on the 500 ticket are atarting to age. When thwy start to get older, they often find new homes in another country. I think in the next several years, the 525 will be the hot ticket to have. As others have stated, that alone probably wonít get you a job.

Vital Signs
12-19-2017, 06:26 AM
How much TT do you have? The failure rate for 1st types at FSI is increasing quickly because of low time pilots with a lack of experience getting hired. There is a major "experienced" pilot shortage for those who say there is no pilot shortage.

galaxy flyer
12-19-2017, 07:51 AM
Great! Spend a lot of money to get a pink slip on your record. Wonderful.

GF

Yoda2
12-19-2017, 07:54 AM
If I have the opportunity to get typed in a corporate airplane, which type would you recommend for marketability?

Based on some job boards I've seen it appears as if King Airs, Challengers and Gulfstream pilot positions are the most available.

Your two cents?

I would think twice before paying for a type rating. An employer will take care of that for you. It is not typically a major factor in making a hiring decision. Just find a good company and don't bail on them six months after they type you. BTW, Only the bigger King Airs require a type rating. The 90 series through 200's don't require it. (They are under 12,500 and not turbojet powered) There are many operators where you can get initial twin turbine/King Air experience, and get paid for it.

Typhoonpilot
12-21-2017, 05:12 AM

Your two cents?

HS125 no question. Tons of work in that airframe, please get that one.

n20junkie
12-29-2017, 06:19 AM
The Phenom series is very widely use in 91 and 91k ops. It is the modern version of the Learjet. They are very reasonably priced on the used market and I believe they will be a good plane to have experiance with and typed in.

8pack
12-31-2017, 06:59 AM
If you are getting a free type rating, a G650 hands down. Donít waste it on anything under 20,ooo#s and I would shoot for something over 40k.

How much flight time and experience do you have? The reason I ask is because some types are harder than others.

HwkrPlt
12-31-2017, 09:44 AM
I will also ask how much flight time you have, and what are you doing for a job now? If you're a rando airline guy or a 1000 hour wonder, you might as well light they money you are going to spend on a type on fire, at least you'll get some sort of return from it that way.

endlessnight
01-01-2018, 10:01 PM
If you are getting a free type rating, a G650 hands down. Donít waste it on anything under 20,ooo#s and I would shoot for something over 40k.

How much flight time and experience do you have? The reason I ask is because some types are harder than others.

Just curious, how would you rate some of the easier ones vs harder?
Maybe with Lear jets as a base.

BarrySeal
01-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Your two cents?

For the future, I would say skip anything that is ancient avionics or not ADSB-able. Steam gages, skip it.

Yes, these models:

King Air 350
Citation XLS
G550, G650
Global Express

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1