Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Mesa new Atlanta base

nickbillfish
12-20-2017, 09:42 AM
We announced a new Atlanta base to open June 2018 to expand our United flying. More details to follow. Press release didn't say aircraft type or how many crews.

Rotor2prop
12-20-2017, 09:48 AM
We announced a new Atlanta base to open June 2018 to expand our United flying. More details to follow. Press release didn't say aircraft type or how many crews.

Mesaís Facebook page says it will be an E-jet base.

Propdog
12-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Are those new airframes or are they being moved from IAH? Also, how many planes will be based in ATL?

FlyyGuyy
12-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Are those new airframes or are they moved from IAH? Also, how many planes will be based in ATL.

is there that much united flying in atlanta? strange choice for a base.

bnkangle
12-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a ploy to retain and attract new hires.

hawk21
12-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a ploy to retain and attract new hires.

Endeavor and SkyWest have ATL bases and rock bottom upgrade times. Why would someone want to go to Mesa for an ATL base?

amcnd
12-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Sound like they want to attract XJT (ASA) guys... but not realy new flying. Just opening a base to see how many people they can get..

deltajuliet
12-20-2017, 11:54 AM
is there that much united flying in atlanta? strange choice for a base.

Agreed. I donít know much about Unitedís presence there, but odd choice. Are they trying to compete with Delta and get a foothold in the Southeast?

Grumpyaviator
12-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Sound like they want to attract XJT (ASA) guys... but not realy new flying. Just opening a base to see how many people they can get..

Then closing it to see how many they keep.

calmwinds
12-20-2017, 01:50 PM
I am sure more details will follow (or not). There is nothing preventing United from entering the ATL market more aggressively. All of the majors are looking for where to expand. I would have thought that a coincidental announcement from UAL would have occurred if that was the case.

Right now, I don't see how an ATL base for Mesa makes sense unless UAL is entering that market.

N6279P
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
I am sure more details will follow (or not). There is nothing preventing United from entering the ATL market more aggressively. All of the majors are looking for where to expand. I would have thought that a coincidental announcement from UAL would have occurred if that was the case.

Right now, I don't see how an ATL base for Mesa makes sense unless UAL is entering that market.
There is plenty stopping United from adding in Atlanta. For one, lack of gate space.

calmwinds
12-20-2017, 06:10 PM
There is plenty stopping United from adding in Atlanta. For one, lack of gate space.

Maybe, we are getting a Delta contract.... lol.

MagPBS
12-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Itís outststion baseing, just like sdf on the crj. Itís also a flow through city from iah and iad and gives them another east coast base for recruiting.

sidestep
12-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Itís outststion baseing, just like sdf on the crj. Itís also a flow through city from iah and iad and gives them another east coast base for recruiting.

..this. An agreement with Ual to overnight at least (2/3) a/c in ATL for outstation MX. This is not a UAL market share grab, just a pilot recruiting tool, and a relatively cheap mx outstation.

pangolin
12-21-2017, 12:53 AM
Itís no secret that Mesa has been reconfiguring 79 seat CRJ to 76 in order to comply with codeshare agreements - for delta flying. ExpressJet is losing ATL and 30 crj that Delta owns in October. Can Delta staff them? Could Mesa?

zondaracer
12-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Itís no secret that Mesa has been reconfiguring 79 seat CRJ to 76 in order to comply with codeshare agreements - for delta flying. ExpressJet is losing ATL and 30 crj that Delta owns in October. Can Delta staff them? Could Mesa?

Iím not trying to be negative, but rather just point out some counterpoints to your assumptions.
1. All DL Expressjet flying has been accounted for by Endeavor and SkyWest.
2. Yes, the flying will be staffed. SkyWest and Endeavor classes are full.
3. I donít think Delta plans on contracting Mesa anytime soon as a result of the Freedom Airlines experiment.
4. Not a single Delta Connection carrier operates the Ejet in ATL.

calmwinds
12-21-2017, 11:18 AM

That may make sense on the CRJ where SkyWest is hiring street captains in Atlanta. Or, Endeavor.

Assuming an 18 month upgrade on the Ejet (which canít be promised), why would any pilot want to come to Mesa over SkyWest or Endeavor? Is the theory, the Ejet will attract pilots that would not have gone to SkyWest or Endeavor? Or, that we will hire their scraps?

No Land 3
12-21-2017, 06:16 PM
That may make sense on the CRJ where SkyWest is hiring street captains in Atlanta. Or, Endeavor.

Assuming an 18 month upgrade on the Ejet (which canít be promised), why would any pilot want to come to Mesa over SkyWest or Endeavor? Is the theory, the Ejet will attract pilots that would not have gone to SkyWest or Endeavor? Or, that we will hire their scraps?

My guess is that PBS already said the answer.

tinman1
12-21-2017, 07:29 PM

Because Mesa will hire pilots that other companies won't touch due to circumstances such as past criminal history, failed checkrides, previous certification actions by the FAA, etc...they give people a chance who would otherwise not be employed at a 121 carrier.

Court ordered community service in exchange for deferred adjutification? No problem, just consider it volunteer work and call it a day. Hell JO probably even prefers it so that he can quasi-relate to his pilot group!

I'm only kidding...sorta

NovemberBravo
12-22-2017, 07:01 PM

I heard United came to Mesa looking for them to take more flying and JO had to turn them down....

Sennant
12-23-2017, 02:07 AM

Itís not a secret because itís not a reality either. Where do you get this stuff?

Sennant
12-23-2017, 02:08 AM
I heard United came to Mesa looking for them to take more flying and JO had to turn them down....

Now that one might actually be true. Problem is we will never know for sure. No way to verify it.

calmwinds
12-23-2017, 03:39 AM
My guess is that PBS already said the answer.

PBS simply did what the United contract mandated. More planes, more flying.

calmwinds
12-23-2017, 03:40 AM

We took about 20% more United flying in January. Sounds like he kissed their ass, snapped to attention, and said ďyes, sirĒ. There was no turning them down.

Geardownflaps30
12-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Iím not trying to be negative, but rather just point out some counterpoints to your assumptions.
1. All DL Expressjet flying has been accounted for by Endeavor and SkyWest.
2. Yes, the flying will be staffed. SkyWest and Endeavor classes are full.
3. I donít think Delta plans on contracting Mesa anytime soon as a result of the Freedom Airlines experiment.
4. Not a single Delta Connection carrier operates the Ejet in ATL.

Actually, Republic operates E-jets in ATL for Delta on occasion as the Delta schedules wax and wane with the quarters. In fact Shuttle America (aka Republic) used to have a base there to support the E-jet flying for DL.

NovemberBravo
12-23-2017, 07:42 AM
We took about 20% more United flying in January. Sounds like he kissed their ass, snapped to attention, and said ďyes, sirĒ. There was no turning them down.

I meant more flying as in more aircraft.

calmwinds
12-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Actually, Republic operates E-jets in ATL for Delta on occasion as the Delta schedules wax and wane with the quarters. In fact Shuttle America (aka Republic) used to have a base there to support the E-jet flying for DL.

So, we would be the only Ejet base in ATL.

zondaracer
12-23-2017, 08:25 AM

True. Most months however, the Ejet is not scheduled or planned to fly into ATL. All of this is found on Deltanet. Delta is going for an opposite strategy in Seattle, where there will be no more CRJs and it will be replaced by E175s.

chrisreedrules
12-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Or perhaps heís trying to find a path to survival of his airline as existing contracts enter their twilight years. I guess the pilots that get turned down by Endeavor, SkyWest, and PSA have somewhere else to go in the southeast US now.

calmwinds
12-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Or perhaps heís trying to find a path to survival of his airline as existing contracts enter their twilight years. I guess the pilots that get turned down by Endeavor, SkyWest, and PSA have somewhere else to go in the southeast US now.

chrisreedtrolls: Enough people want to fly the Ejet that we wonít have any trouble attracting quality recruits with no other Ejet base in ATL. Although, I still canít see why anyone would come here when you can live at home at a regional with a flow. There is something about the Ejet that simply attracts pilots.

No Land 3
12-23-2017, 05:24 PM
chrisreedtrolls: Enough people want to fly the Ejet that we wonít have any trouble attracting quality recruits with no other Ejet base in ATL. Although, I still canít see why anyone would come here when you can live at home at a regional with a flow. There is something about the Ejet that simply attracts pilots.
People who donít have their priorities straight...

calmwinds
12-23-2017, 05:50 PM
People who donít have their priorities straight...

There are enough of those at SkyWest where their Ejet new hires have to wait 3 years to go from the right seat to the left seat.

amcnd
12-24-2017, 03:42 PM
There are enough of those at SkyWest where their Ejet new hires have to wait 3 years to go from the right seat to the left seat.

Or they Upgrade in 1 week to the CRJ...

calmwinds
12-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Or they Upgrade in 1 week to the CRJ...

Yeah, thus the attraction of the Ejet over the CRJ. 1 week v 3 years at SkyWest, yet the classes are filled with Ejet new hires.

I am not sure we are at 1 week, but our latest CRJ upgrades are 7-8 months. Our latest Ejet upgrades are 21-22 months.

No Land 3
12-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Yeah, thus the attraction of the Ejet over the CRJ. 1 week v 3 years at SkyWest, yet the classes are filled with Ejet new hires.

I am not sure we are at 1 week, but our latest CRJ upgrades are 7-8 months. Our latest Ejet upgrades are 21-22 months.

Thereís old timers who just slapped all of you for complaining about a 22 month upgrade!!!

calmwinds
12-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Thereís old timers who just slapped all of you for complaining about a 22 month upgrade!!!

Hey, it ainít your grandpopís airline any more.

By the way, I wasnít complaining but pointing out that enough people will come to fly the Ejet over a quick upgrade. That is the only added atttaction we have for ATL. That and a weak interview process that hires about anyone who will pass the government background check for flight deck access and the drug test.

chrisreedrules
12-26-2017, 04:21 AM
Hey, it ainít your grandpopís airline any more.

By the way, I wasnít complaining but pointing out that enough people will come to fly the Ejet over a quick upgrade. That is the only added atttaction we have for ATL. That and a weak interview process that hires about anyone who will pass the government background check for flight deck access and the drug test.

Anyone who would pass up the other ATL opportunities to, ďcome to Mesa to fly the EJetĒ deserves what they get :rolleyes:

calmwinds
12-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Anyone who would pass up the other ATL opportunities to, ďcome to Mesa to fly the EJetĒ deserves what they get :rolleyes:

It will likely be a small base anyway. I am just stating the facts of the Ejet draw.

Santos Dumont
12-27-2017, 06:05 AM

Delta first E-Jet contractor was Shuttle America (Republic) back in the mid 2000s and yes, they were based in ATL. However, Delta quickly realized that (for whatever reason) the E-Jet was better suited for premium markets (for lack of a better word) and moved the E-Jet operation to the northeast out of NYC.

In fact, for the last several years the Shuttle/Republic ATL base was a United Express outstation (deja vu) and did not have any Delta flying.

I'm not trying to defend Mesa's move to open a United Express base in ATL, but just wanted to clarify that ATL is pretty much and E-Jet-free hub so to speak.

I don't want to start any baseless rumors, but this move looks very similar to what Mesa did back in 2006 with the interim IAH base during the America West/US Airways merger (do your own research...).

N6279P
12-27-2017, 08:52 AM
It will likely be a small base anyway. I am just stating the facts of the Ejet draw.

Likely be small? You think? I counted a whole 5 Mesa departures today out of ATL.

frankgh
12-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Likely be small? You think? I counted a whole 5 Mesa departures today out of ATL.

5 huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, ATL won't open as a base until June.

N6279P
12-27-2017, 09:15 AM
5 huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, ATL won't open as a base until June.

You think Mesa is going to fly to other United hubs not currently serving just to support an Atlanta crew domicile? Probably not. Do you think United will downgrade current mainline equipment serving Houston and Dulles from Atlanta to give Mesa more departures from Atlanta? Absolutely not.

Iím not sure where youíre getting a big increase in Atlanta flying from.

frankgh
12-27-2017, 12:43 PM
You think Mesa is going to fly to other United hubs not currently serving just to support an Atlanta crew domicile? Probably not. Do you think United will downgrade current mainline equipment serving Houston and Dulles from Atlanta to give Mesa more departures from Atlanta? Absolutely not.

Iím not sure where youíre getting a big increase in Atlanta flying from.

I'm not speculating one way or the other. I'm saying it makes no sense to count today's flights and make a prediction on what will happen 6 months from now. I guess I will speculate a little, if Mesa opens an ATL base, there will be more Mesa flying from ATL.

MagPBS
12-27-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm not speculating one way or the other. I'm saying it makes no sense to count today's flights and make a prediction on what will happen 6 months from now. I guess I will speculate a little, if Mesa opens an ATL base, there will be more Mesa flying from ATL.

I wouldn't assume that either. Yes, there are 5 departures a day for the 175. 2 of the are originators. That's more then SDF has on the CRJ side. As far as I'm aware, there is no planned increase in flying from ATL. UA is definitely not going to change things up just because we open a base there.

The key part of ATL is it's a crossover city and feeds both IAD and IAH. Is a major city for commuters (vs SDF) and is "East Coast".

Without any kind of knowledge ahead of time, I would expect it to be about 1.5 to 2 times the size of SDF. So let me throw my guess out there at 30 crews. And again, I've seen/heard nothing from anyone at the company about this. I'm just using what knowledge I've gained over the years and some deductions based on flights.

calmwinds
12-27-2017, 04:20 PM

One can also make the argument that Mesa will take United Express departures away from others UAX regionals that fly through ATL. I expect the base to look like SDF except Ejets. Possibly twice SDF.

No Land 3
12-27-2017, 04:43 PM
One can also make the argument that Mesa will take United Express departures away from others UAX regionals that fly through ATL. I expect the base to look like SDF except Ejets. Possibly twice SDF.
If Mesa wanted to fix their staffing issues over night, they should just offer home basing!

calmwinds
12-27-2017, 06:27 PM
If Mesa wanted to fix their staffing issues over night, they should just offer home basing!

Other regionals already positive space you to and from your pairing from your home, plus pay for hotels if you must stay where the pairing begins or ends. How would your proposal be different?

No Land 3
12-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Other regionals already positive space you to and from your pairing from your home, plus pay for hotels if you must stay where the pairing begins or ends. How would your proposal be different?

Do other regionals do that by default? True home basing, you would also get DH pay to and from work. If other regionals have removed the stress of commuting by buying you tickets each way, then you truly need your head examined for staying at Mesa.

calmwinds
12-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Do other regionals do that by default? True home basing, you would also get DH pay to and from work. If other regionals have removed the stress of commuting by buying you tickets each way, then you truly need your head examined for staying at Mesa.

I donít think they pay deadhead pay, but positive space and hotels are included with other regionals for commuters.

deltajuliet
12-28-2017, 06:57 AM
No regional does home basing, otherwise everyone would flock to them. It opens up to many FDP issues as well. The only thing close is one or two (Endeavor?) have a commuter clause that says if the first attempt doesnít work out, the company can get you a positive space seat for the second attempt. Not home basing.

NovemberBravo
12-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Yeah what regional is this?

frankgh
12-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Yeah what regional is this?

PSA will give you $250 a month for commuter hotels. It is a use it or lose it deal. 5 $50 nights or 1 $250 night. No roll overs to the next month.

Like Mesa the commuter policy is to list for 2 flights to get you to work. They differ in that you can use that policy as many times as it happens not just 2 times in a rolling 12 months.

calmwinds
12-28-2017, 01:05 PM
PSA will give you $250 a month for commuter hotels. It is a use it or lose it deal. 5 $50 nights or 1 $250 night. No roll overs to the next month.

Like Mesa the commuter policy is to list for 2 flights to get you to work. They differ in that you can use that policy as many times as it happens not just 2 times in a rolling 12 months.

I think the latest contract is 4 times in 12.

NovemberBravo
12-29-2017, 09:55 AM

But the guy said positive space to and from...

frankgh
12-29-2017, 11:54 AM
PSA does not positively space commuters.

jpso
01-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Slight hijack; I've been out of 121 for about two years, previously at Republic. Looking to get back into regionals but want to live in base and not commute again. Atlanta is home. I'm aware of EDV and SKW but was surprised to see Mesa on the domicile list for ATL. Seems like EDV is the #1 regional at the moment and I just applied there, but is it a wash between Mesa and SKW for ATL? Just looking to have a back up plan.

calmwinds
01-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Slight hijack; I've been out of 121 for about two years, previously at Republic. Looking to get back into regionals but want to live in base and not commute again. Atlanta is home. I'm aware of EDV and SKW but was surprised to see Mesa on the domicile list for ATL. Seems like EDV is the #1 regional at the moment and I just applied there, but is it a wash between Mesa and SKW for ATL? Just looking to have a back up plan.

Come to Mesa if you want to fly the the glamorous Ejet. Go to EDV or SKW if you want to fly junky old CRJís. :-)

No Land 3
01-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Come to Mesa if you want to fly the the glamorous Ejet. Go to EDV or SKW if you want to fly junky old CRJís. :-)

If pay was the same, and everything equal, Iíd gladly take a CRJ 7/9 over an Ejet. Itís a pilots airplane.
On a more serious note, apparently itís becoming a thing that Mesa has a reputation for hiring anyone that can fog a mirror. To further compound this issue, the few Mesa FOís that do get out and do poorly in training at their next airline is reinforcing this stigma. Itís too bad, thereís plenty of excellent pilots at Mesa well deserving of moving on. It does look better on your resume to come from a company that is more selective in their hiring. Airlines do track the success rates of new hires from various former employers. Why do you think the majors hire directly from the military? Canít deny the vetting process of the military.
Obviously the best airline for you to go to is the only one that says yes. Mesa worked well for me but that was back then, things change.

calmwinds
01-20-2018, 06:10 PM
If pay was the same, and everything equal, Iíd gladly take a CRJ 7/9 over an Ejet. Itís a pilots airplane.
On a more serious note, apparently itís becoming a thing that Mesa has a reputation for hiring anyone that can fog a mirror. To further compound this issue, the few Mesa FOís that do get out and do poorly in training at their next airline is reinforcing this stigma. Itís too bad, thereís plenty of excellent pilots at Mesa well deserving of moving on. It does look better on your resume to come from a company that is more selective in their hiring. Airlines do track the success rates of new hires from various former employers. Why do you think the majors hire directly from the military? Canít deny the vetting process of the military.
Obviously the best airline for you to go to is the only one that says yes. Mesa worked well for me but that was back then, things change.

Majors standards must be going down. I know Mesa pilots that have gone to every major in the past three months - except American.

No Land 3
01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Majors standards must be going down. I know Mesa pilots that have gone to every major in the past three months - except American.

Yes, I know of them as well. Like I said, Mesa has many excellent pilots, doesnít change what I said.

calmwinds
01-21-2018, 03:46 AM
Yes, I know of them as well. Like I said, Mesa has many excellent pilots, doesnít change what I said.

Yeah, we all know of a CA or an FO that shouldnít be in the seat they are in.

Aurora8
01-22-2018, 01:38 AM

You would have a wait at SKW to get ATL (they over sell their choice of domiciles); I don't know about the others.

zondaracer
01-22-2018, 06:36 AM
You would have a wait at SKW to get ATL (they over sell their choice of domiciles); I don't know about the others.

ATL is the most junior domicile at SKW. Most junior captain is a new hire.

Scrapdaddy
01-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Yeah, sadly the only place thatíll hire Mesa pilots is Kalitta.

No Land 3
01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Thatís no longer a given. Unless youíre a CA, you would have an easier time getting on with Delta.

calmwinds
01-23-2018, 05:02 AM

I know Mesa pilots that have recently gone to every major except American. United, Delta, Southwest, Alaska, FedEx.....