Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Healthy Snacks?

WatchThis!
03-12-2005, 02:55 PM
What are some alternative snack foods that are on the healthy side? I like munching on wasabi peas, Clif Bars (of course), trail mix, etc.

What do you guys eat for snacks that aren't your typical cookies, chips, etc?

BoynamedSue
03-13-2005, 08:28 AM
soy nuts (not too bad)
almonds (lightly salted or even smoked)
cherry tomatoes
dried cranberries (wife loves them)
dry-roasted peanuts

you know for chips the baked lays are really pretty good if you want chips.

sue

Gordon C
03-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Sue, do you bring these along on trips with you? I used to laugh at the pilots who brought along healthy snack foods with them on trips, but I humbly admit that it's time for me start losing my gut. I eat way too much crap.

I've been told that bananas work nice, they fill you up. Any other suggestions that travel well and are easily bought would be appreciated.

BoynamedSue
03-14-2005, 07:15 AM

tyrael37
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I've been told that bananas work nice, they fill you up. Any other suggestions that travel well and are easily bought would be appreciated.

I heard that Celery is also pretty good. Filling and since you cannot actually "burn" it off or digest it fully, it ends up taking more calories to burn that what it produces for your body. Eat a lot of that, and I'll bet that you'll shed off some pounds easily. WARNING: This definitely isn't a nutrional supplement but it works!

Freight Dog
03-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I like the Myoplex Lite meal replacement bars. They're loaded with vitamins, taste good, and top you off between lunch and dinner.

I always pack a few in my flight case when it's time to go fly. Much better tasting that some of those hockey puck sandwiches from catering.

Here's a link (http://store.yahoo.com/advantagesupplements/myoplitbar12.html).

ICON
03-30-2005, 05:02 AM
KASHI makes healthy products that taste great. I always have the bars in my bag.

http://www.kashi.com/

Fly Boy
04-05-2005, 06:49 AM
I also use the packaged tuna on the road for a nice healthy convenient source of protein. I combine this with Natures Plus Whole Food Concentrates as an alternative to the fat laden meals the company provides. Whole foods and Trader Joe's are great places to shop for snack alternatives.

stanrhintx
12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
I haven't tried the Kashi bars, but my wife and I LOVE the Kashi GOLEAN cereal- high in protein and fiber. I have a bowl with sliced banana, 1% skim milk and a packet of Splenda. I'll have to check out the bars, thanks for the tip.:rolleyes: