Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Future of Air Wisconsin

Voski
12-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Whether fact or speculation, what does the future of AWAC hold?

The 5-year CPA with UAL breathed new life into the company, but with talks of UAL acquiring ExpressJet, one has to question what AWAC's next move is going to be at the end of their stint. They own 65 aging CRJ-200s which also begs the question of what they can do to remain competitive as their fleet is on its way out. Throw in the fact that the major airlines are starting to hire en masse huge numbers of pilots and therefore staffing at regional airlines abroad is going to be very competitive and interesting for the airline industry as a whole in the years ahead.

DarkSideMoon
12-22-2017, 04:34 AM
You could say the same thing about any of the non wholly-owneds. Sure, the -200 is not long for this world, but the company has successfully navigated massive fleet changes before. Airframes are not hard to come by. A trained, professional, and most importantly, fully staffed pilot group is far more valuable in this market.

There's no crystal ball. This place could sell to united, go belly up, continue on with the status quo indefinitely, or a million other things. The company was "dead" in the eyes of the forum experts before the united deal was announced.

If it makes sense to come here for pay/base/QOL that fits your needs I don't see anything concerning enough to stay away over.

Grumbletrousers
12-22-2017, 05:21 AM
My opinion is United does the same thing Delta and American are doing. Theyíre going to purchase several companies and create wholly-owns which cater to their flying only. Come February, Air Wisconsin and CommutAir will be operating solely as United Express. Down the road, I can see United purchasing C5, ZW, and EV and running them the same way American runs MQ, EN, and OH. Which enables their entire operation to be in-house and not have to depend on companies who ďdbaĒ multiple airlines to effect their operations and most importantly their bottom line.

PontiusPilot
12-22-2017, 05:42 AM
My opinion is United does the same thing Delta and American are doing. Theyíre going to purchase several companies and create wholly-owns which cater to their flying only. Come February, Air Wisconsin and CommutAir will be operating solely as United Express. Down the road, I can see United purchasing C5, ZW, and EV and running them the same way American runs MQ, EN, and OH. Which enables their entire operation to be in-house and not have to depend on companies who ďdbaĒ multiple airlines to effect their operations and most importantly their bottom line.

I have been wondering if this is Scott Kirby's ultimate goal. It worked during his time at AA.

WesternSkies
12-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Which enables their entire operation to be in-house and not have to depend on companies who ďdbaĒ multiple airlines to effect their operations and most importantly their bottom line.

Entire?
42 percent of Eagle stuff is dba.

Day4mx
12-22-2017, 06:14 AM
Guessing what the future is of awa after our 5+2+2 year contract is up with ual is like trying to guess the high temperature is in bakersfield, ca on april 7, 2026.

andili61
12-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Guessing what the future is of awa after our 5+2+2 year contract is up with ual is like trying to guess the high temperature is in bakersfield, ca on april 7, 2026.

It's going to be 83 degrees Fahrenheit

Voski
12-22-2017, 07:49 AM

I could see that happening, too. At the end of the day, it gives them more control of their feed and fattens their bottom line. Certainly "dba" fee-for-departure airlines will be around for years to come, but that's the way the market is heading. Look at how profitable SkyWest has been: there's no reason UAL cannot be turning more profits by going the wholly-owned route.

stroopwaffle
12-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Well if you live in the MKE area, it will become a base March 1st.

Grumbletrousers
12-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Entire?
42 percent of Eagle stuff is dba.

For now. Once they build up their WO theyíll throw the contact carries away.

WesternSkies
12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
For now. Once they build up their WO theyíll throw the contact carries away.

Build up their WO? PSA might have doubled, but Envoy is a shell of what is was. I don't see shifting planes from one WO to another as building.
Sure ZW left AA flying but in the past few years nearly every regional out there has announced more American flying.

The WO narrative is one that AA tells their WO.

Grumbletrousers
12-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Build up their WO? PSA might have doubled, but Envoy is a shell of what is was. I don't see shifting planes from one WO to another as building.
Sure ZW left AA flying but in the past few years nearly every regional out there has announced more American flying.

Delta gave 9E the highest pay in the industry as a way to build their operations and rid the contract-carriers from their books. They can do this because they have the monetary backing from Delta. American will likely do the same.

Like it or not companies like Republic, Trans States and SkyWest wonít be able to compete if pilot pay keeps going up. Profit margins will shrink, and companies will either merge or fold.

Iím not saying it will happen overnight. But fee-for-departure airlines will be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.

chrisreedrules
12-25-2017, 09:04 AM

More 175s will go to Envoy. I would expect to see the CPZ 175s head to Envoy in the next couple years. The 145s would have never gone to Piedmont except for the fact that the FAA scoffed when managment went to them with the plan to fly 175s coming from old dash-8ís. They wanted Piedmont to fly the 145 before they put anything else on their certificate. The CRJs that Envoy flew were/are transferring to PSA because it will save AAG millions by having each of their WO regional airlines fly primarily one single fleet type. PSA has been told that we are ultimately going to end up being around 150-165 airplanes and mostly CRJ900 fleet type. Piedmont is growing their 145 fleet until they can no longer grow. Envoy is transferring some aircraft, flowing a ton of pilots, and will refleet primarily with 175s as time goes on.

No one really knows exactly what will happen with the AAG WOs. The merger between USAir and America West was never truly finished when USAir merged with American Airlines. There are still a lot of things left to work out and a lot of changes coming at mainline as synergies are realized. Once they have taken care of things at mainline AAG will be looking to get its house in order and I may expect to see some structural changes at the WOs or perhaps a plan that may include some absorption of sorts. All I know is 3 separate regional managementís and all of the associated costs donít make a lot of fiscal sense. I think ultimately weíll see more AAG regional flying brought ďin houseĒ to the WOs and some big changes over the next few years. Time will tell.

Inop2
12-26-2017, 04:22 PM
More 175s will go to Envoy. I would expect to see the CPZ 175s head to Envoy in the next couple years. The 145s would have never gone to Piedmont except for the fact that the FAA scoffed when managment went to them with the plan to fly 175s coming from old dash-8ís. They wanted Piedmont to fly the 145 before they put anything else on their certificate. The CRJs that Envoy flew were/are transferring to PSA because it will save AAG millions by having each of their WO regional airlines fly primarily one single fleet type. PSA has been told that we are ultimately going to end up being around 150-165 airplanes and mostly CRJ900 fleet type. Piedmont is growing their 145 fleet until they can no longer grow. Envoy is transferring some aircraft, flowing a ton of pilots, and will refleet primarily with 175s as time goes on.

No one really knows exactly what will happen with the AAG WOs. The merger between USAir and America West was never truly finished when USAir merged with American Airlines. There are still a lot of things left to work out and a lot of changes coming at mainline as synergies are realized. Once they have taken care of things at mainline AAG will be looking to get its house in order and I may expect to see some structural changes at the WOs or perhaps a plan that may include some absorption of sorts. All I know is 3 separate regional managementís and all of the associated costs donít make a lot of fiscal sense. I think ultimately weíll see more AAG regional flying brought ďin houseĒ to the WOs and some big changes over the next few years. Time will tell.

Could be ...but AA continues to hand out flying to other regionals frequently. AA just gave new routes to Mesa and Express Jet. Iím watching Delta for the future structure of regional flying. Itís my understanding theyíre working towards a 80/20 rule on regional flying. 80% mainline and 20% Endeavor.

stroopwaffle
12-26-2017, 05:17 PM
I am pretty happy not to be flying for AA anymore.

billyho
12-27-2017, 12:14 AM
I am pretty happy not to be flying for AA anymore.

That's totally True. I know many contract carriers loved how US Airways treated them. Honestly flying for American I do miss our US Airways culture. Hopefully with the incredible movement at American it will change over the next 5 years.
Good Luck with United. I remember when AWAC folks were glad to be gone from them. Life is a big circle sometimes.

stroopwaffle
12-27-2017, 04:19 AM
It's hard to admit and I threw up in my mouth a little, but I agree with Billyho. USAirways liked AWAC much better than (the new) AA does.

At least for the next 5-7 years, the contract with UA has an exclusivity clause. We wont be flying for anyone else.

andili61
12-27-2017, 08:00 AM
It's hard to admit and I threw up in my mouth a little, but I agree with Billyho. USAirways liked AWAC much better than (the new) AA does.

At least for the next 5-7 years, the contract with UA has an exclusivity clause. We wont be flying for anyone else.

I don't know if being exclusive with United is good or bad. United is extremely cheapie when it comes to its regionals. Sad but true

idlethrust
12-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Personally i think they are setting AWAC up for a buyout in the near future. Before its all said and done United will acquire and operate awac, xjet and commutair as its wo's.They are realizing its the best way to fully protect and manage its feed into the hub cities.

prex8390
12-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Personally i think they are setting AWAC up for a buyout in the near future. Before its all said and done United will acquire and operate awac, xjet and commutair as its wo's.They are realizing its the best way to fully protect and manage its feed into the hub cities.
United will be the king of the old, tired 50 seaters at the end of that buyout. Just becuase AA has 3 WO doesnít mean united will. Delta only has one and that seems to be the carrier everyone follows. When Delta doesnít renew gojets contract this coming spring (which is being wildly rumored) there might be more incentive to have them as a WO with their scope claused 700s.

CAirBear
12-28-2017, 12:27 PM
I am fully convinced, Air Whiskey, would be closing up shop next month had it not been for DUI Dougieía, right hand man, Scott Kirby, becoming Unitedís President.

First off it is just astounding to me he would be able to even go from AAL to United, a major major competitor, within a month. Absolutely incredible to me. Wow.

Iím at an LLC now and even our top executives all have at least 1 year non compete clauses. Some very well could have even longer.

So Kirby heads to United, a complete RJ *****. He knows with 1000000% certainty Awac is completely done Feb 2018 with his old company. I donít think itís hard to figure out why we got a deal with United.

Iím glad they did! I wish we were flying for United back when I was there. No doubt.

As for the long term future? Even though he loves RJs, I think itís going to be extremely difficult for Awac go get another contract without anything larger. I also agree with others that the few remaining regionals that will be left, will be WOs.

stroopwaffle
12-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Hopefully the senior cheeseheads fill up MKE with this new vacancy (59 CA, 58 FO), and none of the East Coasters have to commute to similar schedules that ORF had. Maybe all these new upgrades will take up the slack.

:(

sandwichman
12-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently a captain on an aircraft weighing more than 12,500 under part 135 looking at making the switch to 121. I like the bonus structure of Air Wis. Would you recommend coming here? I'm also looking at Envoy and Endeavor. I am Dallas based

Thanks for any information

StrykerB21
12-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently a captain on an aircraft weighing more than 12,500 under part 135 looking at making the switch to 121. I like the bonus structure of Air Wis. Would you recommend coming here? I'm also looking at Envoy and Endeavor. I am Dallas based

Our bases right now are ORD, IAD, and MKE so if you decide to come over you'll have to commute. Our commuter clause requires two options to get to work. Your first option needs to get you to domicile two hours prior to check in while the second needs to get you there 30 minutes prior.

Commuting is not easy but if you can live with that AWA is a good place to work. So are Envoy and Endeavor though. As much as Id like people to come to Air Wisconsin, I think Envoy would be a good fit. Being home based is huge and a flow to American in your back pocket is a nice thing to have as well.

BigZ
12-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Our bases right now are ORD, IAD, and MKE so if you decide to come over you'll have to commute. Our commuter clause requires two options to get to work. Your first option needs to get you to domicile two hours prior to check in while the second needs to get you there 30 minutes prior.

Commuting is not easy but if you can live with that AWA is a good place to work. So are Envoy and Endeavor though. As much as Id like people to come to Air Wisconsin, I think Envoy would be a good fit. Being home based is huge and a flow to American in your back pocket is a nice thing to have as well.

DFW is a senior base with Envoy and hasn't been available out of the schoolhouse for a few months. Prior to that could only get it on 175, which went very senior - you'd have to be in the 40s prior to the new 3 tier seniority system (pipeline did then prior 121 then age for the rest).
Moreover, depending on what a/c he flies for the 135, the time might count towards 1000 121 hrs (jet PIC, or over 10 pax seats PIC, or commuter PIC), in which case he'll get force upgraded into LGA 145 CA and sit reserve there for the next 1.5 yrs.

DarkSideMoon
12-31-2017, 06:43 PM

I like the company a lot. But you will have to commute. Honestly go to the place that feels like the best fit for you. There are several people in my class who previously applied to Envoy and were turned away by their company culture.

sandwichman
01-01-2018, 08:51 AM
DFW is a senior base with Envoy and hasn't been available out of the schoolhouse for a few months. Prior to that could only get it on 175, which went very senior - you'd have to be in the 40s prior to the new 3 tier seniority system (pipeline did then prior 121 then age for the rest).
Moreover, depending on what a/c he flies for the 135, the time might count towards 1000 121 hrs (jet PIC, or over 10 pax seats PIC, or commuter PIC), in which case he'll get force upgraded into LGA 145 CA and sit reserve there for the next 1.5 yrs.

Thanks for the response guys. I realize that I will spend a lot of my time commuting. ORD is probably what I would get out of training at Envoy, then after upgrade, getting Dallas would be very difficult. That is why I'm looking elsewhere. I figure if I have to commute, I might as well make it to a good company with better pay and then figure out the details later.

flyjustinfly
01-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Have any of the pilots here for Wisconsin scene an improvement or change in schedules, or to early into the UA flying?

I've heard nothing but bad stories regarding lines that are commutable and getting time off, which honestly has swayed me away from applying.

BigWillyCapt
01-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Still too early to tell. Feb Captain bids just came out and that will be the last month of split flying. While schedules are something to consider, don't overlook the company and contract as a whole. Schedules can and will change over time. I don't think ours are that much different than other regionals. We generally have 4 day trips with 3 days off subject to crew and aircraft utilization and domocile. You might see a big base like ORD have some more variation like stand-up lines and day trips. Commutability will vary with each pilot and domocile to some extent. My trips out of IAD for Feb start at 1210 end at 1130/ 1705 end 1600/ and 1640 end 2100. Pretty commutable except for the last one on the back end.

pilottim
01-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Have any of the pilots here for Wisconsin scene an improvement or change in schedules, or to early into the UA flying?

I've heard nothing but bad stories regarding lines that are commutable and getting time off, which honestly has swayed me away from applying.

I'm only a sample size of one, but I have a commutable line in Chicago this January. Started training last summer and spent the last three months of 2017 on reserve.

That said, it's probably too soon to tell with any certainty. With American flying winding down, ORF closing and MKE base opening there is lots of change the next couple months.

T28driver
01-08-2018, 03:14 PM
...ATW-DEN route announced.

United adds direct flight to Denver from Appleton International Airport (http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2018/01/08/united-adds-direct-flight-denver-appleton-international/1013492001/)

Flying101
01-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I realize that I will spend a lot of my time commuting. ORD is probably what I would get out of training at Envoy, then after upgrade, getting Dallas would be very difficult. That is why I'm looking elsewhere. I figure if I have to commute, I might as well make it to a good company with better pay and then figure out the details later.

I worked at AWAC for over 8 years. Itís a good company. Iím sure a lot has changed since I left. Whatís your ultimate goal? Legacy, LCC, elsewhere? If itís AA go to a wholly owned. Find a company with a quick upgrade. Commuting sucks, especially DFW-ORD. Chances are youíll end commuting on AA as a D7 (lowest priority).

T28driver
01-11-2018, 12:06 PM
MKE may end up being a very popular option as a base for some of our guys that live in the DFW area, lots of ways to get there on Southwest.

In my opinion, people make way to big of a deal about commuting. It's not the end of the world, and I would absolutely commute to a company that's higher on my list than drive to work for one towards the bottom.

But that's me, and it's just my opinion.

Day4mx
01-11-2018, 03:52 PM
MKE may end up being a very popular option as a base for some of our guys that live in the DFW area, lots of ways to get there on Southwest.

In my opinion, people make way to big of a deal about commuting. It's not the end of the world, and I would absolutely commute to a company that's higher on my list than drive to work for one towards the bottom.

But that's me, and it's just my opinion.

Commuting sucks but if you use it to do things you dont normally have time to do, movies, read, nap, and you can be productive, its not the end of the world. Get a good anr headset and it can be nice alone/quiet time before starting the work week or a hectic home week.

chrisreedrules
01-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Commuting sucks but if you use it to do things you dont normally have time to do, movies, read, nap, and you can be productive, its not the end of the world. Get a good anr headset and it can be nice alone/quiet time before starting the work week or a hectic home week.

You know truthfully, Iíve been commuting for a few years now and I havenít found it to be particularly painful. If you live somewhere that has 6-8 flights /day to the different hubs it really isnít a big deal at all.

CAirBear
01-12-2018, 10:00 PM
You know truthfully, Iíve been commuting for a few years now and I havenít found it to be particularly painful. If you live somewhere that has 6-8 flights /day to the different hubs it really isnít a big deal at all.

Commuted my whole career. ZERO issue. Live where you want to live. You realize most people do not have that option? The fact that I can live in a city, where I was born and raised, and am involved in my community, is amazing.

pitchtrim
01-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Long time comutter myself. It's not the end of the world. Sure a couple times a year it test my patience, but otherwise the pros of living where I want outweigh the cons of living where I'd be unhappy. My new commute to Chicago is very easy and I watch a movie on the way there.

da42pilot
01-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Itís not the flying part of commuting that sucks. Itís the stress of whether youíll make it to work or not, or if youíll be able to make it home on your last day.

That and having to cut short your few precious days off because you have to be elsewhere tomorrow morning.

The flight itself... thatís nothing. Yeah I watch movies all the time. Itís the other side of it that really sucks. Itís not the end of the world but it does suck.

HoLeeFook
01-16-2018, 09:56 AM
...ATW-DEN route announced.

United adds direct flight to Denver from Appleton International Airport (http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2018/01/08/united-adds-direct-flight-denver-appleton-international/1013492001/)

I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

A note of interest, this route has been flown in the past by crj200 a/c under the SkyWest banner. Prior to SkyWest flying it, United tried this with two other regional partners as well. Mesa did it for a short while as did Expressjet.

All 3 times that this route was flown it was discontinued within the same year it began.

texaspropguy
01-16-2018, 11:39 AM
I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

A note of interest, this route has been flown in the past by crj200 a/c under the SkyWest banner. Prior to SkyWest flying it, United tried this with two other regional partners as well. Mesa did it for a short while as did Expressjet.

All 3 times that this route was flown it was discontinued within the same year it began.

The central issue is from what I remember: Denver

chrisreedrules
01-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Itís not the flying part of commuting that sucks. Itís the stress of whether youíll make it to work or not, or if youíll be able to make it home on your last day.

That and having to cut short your few precious days off because you have to be elsewhere tomorrow morning.

The flight itself... thatís nothing. Yeah I watch movies all the time. Itís the other side of it that really sucks. Itís not the end of the world but it does suck.

There really is NEVER any stress about whether I personally make it to work or not. If I donít make it to work I make sure I gave myself my 2 flights to meet my commuter clause and thatís it, Iím not in trouble. So why stress over getting to work to start a trip? Other airlines with commuter clauses similar (or better ) its the same deal. And (at least at my airline) I have a ton of schedule flexibility so I just make sure I get trips that start in the afternoon and end early enough to give myself a couple shots at getting home. In 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of time Iíve either not made it to work and (once) not made it home. My first year commuting I would stress it a lot. Always worried about making flights etc... Now I donít stress at all. Itís so rare tonor make it Home the same day that I donít even think about it. And if it happens I donít worry about it.

billyho
01-16-2018, 04:02 PM
There really is NEVER any stress about whether I personally make it to work or not. If I donít make it to work I make sure I gave myself my 2 flights to meet my commuter clause and thatís it, Iím not in trouble. So why stress over getting to work to start a trip? Other airlines with commuter clauses similar (or better ) its the same deal. And (at least at my airline) I have a ton of schedule flexibility so I just make sure I get trips that start in the afternoon and end early enough to give myself a couple shots at getting home. In 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of time Iíve either not made it to work and (once) not made it home. My first year commuting I would stress it a lot. Always worried about making flights etc... Now I donít stress at all. Itís so rare tonor make it Home the same day that I donít even think about it. And if it happens I donít worry about it.

Are you pay protected when you don't make it to work?

stroopwaffle
01-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Training department just put out a notice for resume submission for all instructor positions. LCA, simulator, CPT and ground school. I haven't seen this in a while, and last payday hotline showed mostly junior or new-hire F/O resignations. We need more pilots teaching so we can get more bodies in airplanes. Hopefully this is a sign of growth back to the size we were a few years ago, and that junior-mans will become rare.

MKE vacancy/realignment should be out by this Friday? That will show what the post-AA domicile seniority shakedown roughly is. Lots of new commuters from ORF/PHL deciding where to go. I am hoping that there are lots of upgrades to fill in the MKE CA/RSV gap. I don't know 60 CA's that live around MKE or North (that are willing to make the drive rather than fly to ORD), and I am guessing many people will get displaced to MKE to fill it up on both seats.

Still waiting on a bigger ORD crew room though...

Day4mx
01-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Training department just put out a notice for resume submission for all instructor positions. LCA, simulator, CPT and ground school. I haven't seen this in a while, and last payday hotline showed mostly junior or new-hire F/O resignations. We need more pilots teaching so we can get more bodies in airplanes. Hopefully this is a sign of growth back to the size we were a few years ago, and that junior-mans will become rare.

MKE vacancy/realignment should be out by this Friday? That will show what the post-AA domicile seniority shakedown roughly is. Lots of new commuters from ORF/PHL deciding where to go. I am hoping that there are lots of upgrades to fill in the MKE CA/RSV gap. I don't know 60 CA's that live around MKE or North (that are willing to make the drive rather than fly to ORD), and I am guessing many people will get displaced to MKE to fill it up on both seats.

Still waiting on a bigger ORD crew room though...

Ord crewroom is abhorrent. Needs to be grieved immediately. Company will sit on their hands and string us along with rumors and promises of an adequate crewroom later on.

blackhawk88
01-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Are you pay protected when you don't make it to work?

Nope. It happened to me once, and I since I was commuting from MSP, I went straight to where my plane was going next and caught up with my trip from there. Scheduling was ok with it; they put the reserve FO in the hotel for the night and was going to send him home the next day. I lost maybe 1.5-2 hrs of pay.

Just so there are no misunderstandings though... This is at PSA where chrisreedrules and I work. Could be different at other airlines obviously.

Grumbletrousers
01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Ord crewroom is abhorrent. Needs to be grieved immediately. Company will sit on their hands and string us along with rumors and promises of an adequate crewroom later on.

The crew room is mutually agreed upon by the Company and the MEC Chairman. Iíd start with a call to the union.

Day4mx
01-17-2018, 02:14 PM
The crew room is mutually agreed upon by the Company and the MEC Chairman. Iíd start with a call to the union.

Same for hotels but the company has unilatiarly put us in many hotels. Pending grievance now.

Flubber
01-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Same for hotels but the company has unilatiarly put us in many hotels. Pending grievance now.

Along with grievances on the IAD and ORD crew rooms...

Pilotdude3407
01-18-2018, 03:19 AM

Thatís not even close to correct. The MEC chairman is not personally responsible for crew room adequacy. That would fall to the local reps in conjunction with the grievance committee. The Company has been advised from day one that it is not suitable for full staffing levels and would result in a grievance if it was not corrected. MP has stated that they are working on something with United because even they (the Company) agree it cannot be permanent. As of a couple of weeks ago, they are hoping it happens soon but are at the mercy of UAL because they own all the space around there. Rumor has it that one of the other airlines that occupy some space around there will be leaving. Take that with a grain of salt.

Grumbletrousers
01-18-2018, 04:56 AM
Thatís not even close to correct. The MEC chairman is not personally responsible for crew room adequacy. That would fall to the local reps in conjunction with the grievance committee. The Company has been advised from day one that it is not suitable for full staffing levels and would result in a grievance if it was not corrected. MP has stated that they are working on something with United because even they (the Company) agree it cannot be permanent. As of a couple of weeks ago, they are hoping it happens soon but are at the mercy of UAL because they own all the space around there. Rumor has it that one of the other airlines that occupy some space around there will be leaving. Take that with a grain of salt.

https://i.imgur.com/HaapFAI.jpg

Verbatim

Day4mx
01-18-2018, 05:13 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HaapFAI.jpg

Verbatim

Might as well grieve iad while we're at it since you need a three hour turn just to get there. Im sure our mke crewroom will be a coat closet at the crowne plaza so grieve that as well. Unfortunately with language like that...not much we can do. "Well we considered cost...and you lose. Here is your closet for 300 people"

Grumbletrousers
01-18-2018, 05:47 AM
Might as well grieve iad while we're at it since you need a three hour turn just to get there. Im sure our mke crewroom will be a coat closet at the crowne plaza so grieve that as well. Unfortunately with language like that...not much we can do. "Well we considered cost...and you lose. Here is your closet for 300 people"

I share your frustration. Thatís what happens when you leave the contract vague. A good thing to remember if we ever get another TA.

FODhopper
01-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Regarding the ATW-DEN route, AWAC begged US Airways to do an ATW - PHL route and even offered to subsidize it. Mostly so it would be easier for the company to support East coast ops...but Airways was short-sighted in their rejection. So that might be going on here in a small way... AWA subsidizing the route which could mean a DEN base soon... Or United marketing sees good numbers.

Grumbletrousers
01-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Regarding the ATW-DEN route, AWAC begged US Airways to do an ATW - PHL route and even offered to subsidize it. Mostly so it would be easier for the company to support East coast ops...but Airways was short-sighted in their rejection. So that might be going on here in a small way... AWA subsidizing the route which could mean a DEN base soon... Or United marketing sees good numbers.

A DEN base would be amazing, but I think itíll be similar to what CLT was for us during the Airways/American operation.

WhistlePig
01-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Nope. It happened to me once, and I since I was commuting from MSP, I went straight to where my plane was going next and caught up with my trip from there. Scheduling was ok with it; they put the reserve FO in the hotel for the night and was going to send him home the next day. I lost maybe 1.5-2 hrs of pay.

Just so there are no misunderstandings though... This is at PSA where chrisreedrules and I work. Could be different at other airlines obviously.

If I was that Reserve FO I'd be ****ed

Flubber
01-22-2018, 05:37 AM

It made less sense for Airways to do ATW... they'd have to establish a station there. I don't see AWAC offering to foot the entire bill to run that.

stroopwaffle
01-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Mke realignment v2 out. 13 upgrades.

Hopefully upgrades and hiring continue at a good pace.

Have the second group of CPP interviews gone to DEN yet?

Grumbletrousers
01-24-2018, 02:35 AM
Mke realignment v2 out. 13 upgrades.

Hopefully upgrades and hiring continue at a good pace.

Have the second group of CPP interviews gone to DEN yet?

Have been told United has no interview availability before March CPP or otherwise. Iíve talked with several people who have said their hiring/training department is short-staffed and backed up.

prex8390
01-24-2018, 05:31 AM
Have been told United has no interview availability before March CPP or otherwise. Iíve talked with several people who have said their hiring/training department is short-staffed and backed up.

after united didnt hire for basically a year, id imagine the first little while interview spots are gonna go to space shuttle drivers and the like for the first 5-6 monthes while they catch up.

Grumbletrousers
01-24-2018, 04:11 PM
after united didnt hire for basically a year, id imagine the first little while interview spots are gonna go to space shuttle drivers and the like for the first 5-6 monthes while they catch up.

Exactly...

squib
01-24-2018, 06:52 PM
The company has already stated they don't expect the first people to go to UAL until Q3-Q4 2018. CommutAir had less than 20 go with a similar agreement. People need to get over this CPP carrot.

stroopwaffle
01-25-2018, 06:33 AM
We are at least twice the size of Commutair and growing. We need continued growth in our pilot group size back to 700+, a steady stream of new hires (that stick around) and upgrades, as well as UA actually hiring and us having a good '% per UA newhire class' before there is actual CPP movement. There are a lot of factors known and unknown that work against those waiting to go to UA through the CPP. It is fully understood that the CPP is nothing to hold your breath for.

But for me, UA is my top choice so theres a vested interest in what is going on with the CPP. They haven't call me for an interview yet OTS so this is my best shot. I don't mind sticking it out to be a captain with decent pay and good healthcare while I wait for a spot at UA, over going to a LCC just to get out of here. Life isn't so bad at AWAC.

stroopwaffle
02-21-2018, 06:29 AM
Does this latest vacancy mean upgrades, or just a reshuffling of where captains are due to backfill?

mcat
02-21-2018, 06:58 AM
I think itís just shuffling CAís from reserve to a line.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1