Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reading List

FlyingHercs
12-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions on books detailing the history of each major/legacy airline? Looking for info that might help job hunters get a good back story on what the culture, history and principles of each airline is. Perhaps provide extra ammo in an interview when the "Why us?" question is asked.

Delta: Glory Lost and Found

FedEx: The World on Time

United: ?

American: ?

UPS: ?

Southwest: ?

kspilot
12-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Hard Landings

Riverside
12-27-2017, 02:12 PM
The removal of passengers.

HarlsBarkley
12-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Not really relevant to these airlines, but Skygods about Panam is a great read.

kansas
12-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Hard Landings

This one is excellent. I sure wish that guy would do a sequel that picked up where the book left off (mid-late 90s I think?). So much has happened since then.

John Carr
12-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions on books detailing the history of each major/legacy airline? Looking for info that might help job hunters get a good back story on what the culture, history and principles of each airline is. Perhaps provide extra ammo in an interview when the "Why us?" question is asked.

Delta: Glory Lost and Found

Can we get a wind check? And its just light chop.

And we have Captain Jorrrrrrr-guh/“Hollywood”

FedEx: The World on Time

Tom Hanks has a part in a movie about us.

United: ?

We’re busy Un-Jeffing ourselves and arguing about calling a 737 a guppy when we’re not beating people up and dragging them off.

American: ?

Half of us feel we saved TWA, the other half are still ****ed off about the Nicolau

UPS: ?

We wear brown uniforms while cash our giant pay checks.

Southwest: ?

We had our own show about us. If you get a chance to ride on a Friday night BUR-LAS “stripper flight”, do it

This one is excellent. I sure wish that guy would do a sequel that picked up where the book left off (mid-late 90s I think?). So much has happened since then.

Agreed.

There could also easily be a “Flying the Line” Volumes 3-5.

CantStayAway
12-29-2017, 04:43 AM
For Southwest read NUTS! It's about how the company got started. Not only informative but also very entertaining.

tomgoodman
12-29-2017, 05:49 AM
UAL: “The Golden Goose”. (It’s what Dubinsky wanted to choke.) :D

PerfInit
12-29-2017, 05:52 AM
“Eagle” by Robert J. Serling, good read about AA circa 1985.

TransWorld
12-29-2017, 05:57 AM
For one of the many forerunners of American, Trans World Airlines (TWA) which was the face of United States aviation on east west routes around the world in the 1950s-1970s (Pan Am was the face in Latin America), I recommend:

Trans World Airlines A Book of Memories by Jon Proctor.

Sliceback
12-29-2017, 06:06 AM
AA -

https://www.amazon.com/American-Airlines-Airways-Creation-Largest/dp/0786477830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514559900&sr=8-1&keywords=ted+reed+American+Airlines

Eagle by Serling for the earlier years. Reed’s book has background history and then the events leading up to the US merger.

deltajuliet
12-29-2017, 07:24 AM

Another recommendation for Hard Landing. It’s like if the airline executives were Game of Thrones characters trying to outwit and out-manipulate each other. Very entertaining, and true. And agreed that a sequel is needed; it was written right before the proliferation of RJ’s and regionals, not to mention the dark decade.

BrewCity
12-29-2017, 03:09 PM
I couldn't finish that "Glory Lost and Found" book. It really only focuses on the 90s and 00s and the writing rambles, meanders, and is overall just not bad (at one point the author uses Jar Jar Binks as a metaphor). Also, the basic theme of that book is "Unions evil, Delta management great."

"Nuts" is a classic book about SWA but it's 20 years old and heaps a lot of praise on Southwest for avoiding airports like LaGuardia. That said, it's still a good read.

"From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune is also about 20 years old, but it's probably my favorite book about airlines. It's a first-hand account of how Bethune turned Continental around.

While not an airline book, "Air Vagabonds" by Anthony Vallone is probably my favorite aviation book out there. It's about guys who ferried piston aircraft all over the world in the 70s and 80s. Think "Fate is the Hunter" but much funnier.

galaxy flyer
12-30-2017, 12:31 PM
UAL: “The Golden Goose”. (It’s what Dubinsky wanted to choke.) :D

And choke it, is what Rick did. Just went a little overboard.

GF

SpeedyVagabond
12-30-2017, 01:34 PM
“Wind, Sand, and Stars”, “Fate is the Hunter”, “West with the Night.” Oh wait, I’m supposed to hate flying and spend my down time loathing it even more. Carry on.

T28driver
12-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Although none of these are tied to a specific airline, "Fate is the Hunter" is an absolute classic and should be on everyone's list. Same to "Hard Landing." "Skygods" is great as well.

I also recommend:

"Understanding Air France 447"
"Darker Shades of Blue: The Rogue Pilot"

RomeoHotel
12-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Over the years I flew with multiple guys that mentioned how good "Fate is the Hunter" was... I discounted the idea of reading it because I had seen the movie... About five years ago I picked it up and could not put it down....Though he never mentions the airline by name, I have since read that Ernest K. Gann was a pilot for AA... Amazing read...

galaxy flyer
12-30-2017, 03:38 PM
If you go to the AA training center, his name and many of those mentioned in Fate Is The Hunter are up on the wall.

GF

T28driver
12-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Over the years I flew with multiple guys that mentioned how good "Fate is the Hunter" was... I discounted the idea of reading it because I had seen the movie... About five years ago I picked it up and could not put it down....Though he never mentions the airline by name, I have since read that Ernest K. Gann was a pilot for AA... Amazing read...

AA to start with. Fun fact: the "steamship airline" he left AA to fly for was Matson Airlines. They still operate container ships and car carriers off the west coast.

EMBFlyer
12-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Splash of Colors: The Self-Destruction of Braniff International

You'll thank me later.

RyeMex
01-01-2018, 03:28 PM
I just placed a giant order on amazon due to all these recommendations. Thanks!

Not an airline book, but I can’t believe that “A Higher Call” by Adam Makos hasn’t been mentioned yet. I do a lot of reading, and this is one of the few legitimate “can’t put it down” books that I’ve come across.

vessbot
01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Not airline related, but The Right Stuff is mandatory for anyone with even the most passing interest in spaceflight. For serious space buffs too, for a weird, semi comical take on things.

Fast90
01-01-2018, 08:18 PM
++ for a Higher Call.

SpeedyVagabond
01-02-2018, 01:54 AM
“A Higher Call” was a good read. I always find it amazing how much good can be effected by just a small smount of compassion and kindness.

kspilot
01-02-2018, 02:05 AM
One of my favorites (non airline)

Boyd
The fighter pilot who changed the art of war

AC560
01-02-2018, 05:38 AM
North Star Over My Shoulder (https://www.amazon.com/North-Star-over-My-Shoulder/dp/0743262301/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8). DC2 to 747 and a lot inbetween, super interesting life. His weather book is quite good as well.

Mox Nix
01-06-2018, 04:30 PM
For FedEx, check out “Changing How the World Does Business.” It’s a better historical story of the initial start-up years and growth period through about 1980 or so. Lots of good detail about what it took for Fred and Co to get the company really going.

I just finished “The World On Time”, and was actually kinda disappointed. It’s more about the different aspects of company culture, with good info of course, but only a few tidbits of historical perspective. My disappointment was mostly from the feeling that it didn’t have as much “meat” and substance about the early growth years and Fred’s influence as to WHY he made the culture what it was. I had read the other book first, so I was probably more partial to that story.

Planetrain
01-07-2018, 05:47 PM
North Star Over My Shoulder (https://www.amazon.com/North-Star-over-My-Shoulder/dp/0743262301/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8). DC2 to 747 and a lot inbetween, super interesting life. His weather book is quite good as well.
Written by Bob Buck. TWA. Great read, the guy helped invent the static wick... Did first 747 revenue flight JFK-CDG IIRC.

CA1900
01-07-2018, 11:06 PM
The Alaska Airlines Story (https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Airlines-story-Archie-Satterfield/dp/0882401653) by Archie Satterfield is a great read.

AC560
01-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Great read, the guy helped invent the static wick....

By flying planes through the most intense thunderstorms they could find along the equator....

Also some fascinating bits about Howard Hughes. Buck holds the youngest commercial something (I forgot) because they changed the age from 16 to 18 after he set the record. Truly a unique person up there with Hoover.

putzin
01-11-2018, 06:56 AM
Given our choices during the last presendiatial election, it's obvious we need more leaders in this world and fewer children.

I submit: John Maxwell's

1. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership

2. Deleveloping the Leader within YOU 2.0

MaxQ
01-13-2018, 09:19 AM
would recommend China Pilot by Felix smith

from end of ww11 to vietnamn....

Omnivorous
01-20-2018, 06:44 AM
I have an Amazon cart 14 titles deep thanks to this thread. Hopefully I'll have a little more reading time after juggling the third year of my MBA studies and my corporate flying job!

shroomwell
01-20-2018, 09:33 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Uninhibited-Memoirs-Airline-Stewardesses/dp/0142003514

at6d
01-20-2018, 03:31 PM
I love the WWII genre, mostly first-person accounts. These are all good reads.

With The Old Breed
Fighter Pilot
Reach For The Skies
Army at Dawn
Day of Battle
Spitfires and Warm Beer
Stuka Pilot
Panzer Leader
Flyboys
Unbroken
Beyond Band of Brothers
American Sniper
All The Way to Berlin
To Hell and Back
Lone Survivor
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

Beech Dude
07-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Adding these awesome titles to my list. I'll add in for you guys:
"Fly, Fight, Win" Bud Anderson's memoirs, from childhood, early flying, Mustangs in WWII flying Yeager's wing, and through the post war and his test flying. I finished it in 2 days.

Castle Bravo
07-12-2018, 04:19 AM
My favorite book, have read it several times, and the best air combat book, IMHO, in the world.
"A Lonely Kind Of War; Forward Air Controller over Vietnam" by Marshall Harrison. Has you laughing one page and crying the next, ala the TV Show MASH. Paperback is easy, hardback is a true treasure to find one.
https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Kind-War-Forward-Controller/dp/0891416382

Best book I read recently (last 10 years)

The Dequello, by Scott Zastro. A mostly non-fiction account of the first SOF team inserted into Afghanistan after 9/11. Very thinly veiled as "fiction" to get around the non-disclosure stuff as Mr. Zastro is still serving in the Army Reserves. He was a Green Beret medic at the time an still is in the medicine field. Could not put it down, read it in 3 days.
Excellent discussion of CAS, bombers and helos.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Dequello&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3AThe+Dequello

Al Czervik
07-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Given our choices during the last presendiatial election, it's obvious we are interested in fixing what previous administrations have done.

FIFY............

marcal
07-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Hard Landing by Petzinger

North Star Over My Shoulder by Buck

Weather Flying by Buck

Moondogs Academy of the Air by Fusco

Flight Lines by Drury(a collection of his columns which are outstanding).

My Secret War by Drury

Flying Circus by Gann

Fate is the Hunter by Gann

Night Flight by St. Exupery

Wind, Sand, and Stars by St. Exupery

Skyfaring by van Hoenecker

Skygods by Gandt

The Long Way Home by Dover

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Bach

A Gift of Wings by Bach

Flightcap
07-13-2018, 06:49 AM
Glacier Pilot - the story of Bob Reeve and his efforts to turn wild bush flying in Alaska into an orderly, scheduled airline.

High Calling by Evelyn Husband - the story of the life and faith of the Space Shuttle Columbia's last commander Rick Husband.

contrails
07-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Moondogs Academy of the Air by Fusco

Good list except the above author is a SCAB, so I threw the book in the trash.

Realized after a chapter or two that, funny as the stories were, he had zero standards and was willing to do anything to further himself, to the point of the stories becoming so absurd they were funny. Then I checked the list.

Keizer Soze
07-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Night Over Water - Ken Follett
On Wings of Eagles - Ken Follett
Nightfall - Nelson DeMille
Anything by Dale Brown

Big E 757
07-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Adding these awesome titles to my list. I'll add in for you guys:
"Fly, Fight, Win" Bud Anderson's memoirs, from childhood, early flying, Mustangs in WWII flying Yeager's wing, and through the post war and his test flying. I finished it in 2 days.

I’ve been downloading a few of the books you guys have recommended and I went to download this one but your description didn’t jive with the title. The book you described is “To fly and fight”.

“Fly, Fight, Win” is about a B52 pilot in Vietnam. I downloaded them both. :)

Mink
07-14-2018, 09:44 AM
I love the WWII genre, mostly first-person accounts. These are all good reads.

With The Old Breed
Fighter Pilot
Reach For The Skies
Army at Dawn
Day of Battle
Spitfires and Warm Beer
Stuka Pilot
Panzer Leader
Flyboys
Unbroken
Beyond Band of Brothers
American Sniper
All The Way to Berlin
To Hell and Back
Lone Survivor
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo

Anything by Hornfischer, if you want gripping accounts of WWII Naval action.

C37AFE
07-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Biographies on Bob Hoover, Eddie Rickenbacher, Bud Day, Jimmie Doolittle, Robin Olds will never leave my collection

Bug Smasher
07-24-2018, 06:23 AM
Some great suggestions in this thread!

I saw mention of one or two of Rob Serling's titles, but he had a whole slew of them. If I remember correctly, the only major/legacy carrier he missed out on before his passing was Delta. His books are a great mix of corporate history and entertaining stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-J.-Serling/e/B000APV1XU/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1532441841&sr=1-2-ent

I'd also strongly recommend Richard Bach's "Stranger to the Ground."

Ernest Gann's "Fate is the Hunter" is a great read, but if you can get hold of "A Hostage To Fortune," it's his autobiography that has the actual events he witnessed first and secondhand as they happened, before he added literary license for "Fate."

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1