Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : American Training Dept Hiring?

flynlion
01-03-2018, 10:21 AM
I heard a rumor that American was hurting for instructors as bad as some of the regionals. Any chance that an ex-Mesa guy like me with zero heavy time could get a teaching gig with American based in CLT?

HalinTexas
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Have you ever instructed at an airline or training center before? Are you current and/or qualified on A320s, B737s or MD80s? Ever flown or worked for AA or a subsidiary?

CLT is an Airbus facility.

I left AA training last May for SWA training. AA's pay is not very good and the job is rather boring.

Name User
01-03-2018, 06:58 PM
SWA must pay really well. Our ground school instructor worked on avg 7-8 days a month and made about $130k.

cactusmike
01-04-2018, 05:59 PM
I donít know about ground instructors but sim instructors are in short supply according to some friends that had been doing it for a while. But you need to have experience as a sim IP on something AA flies, Iím sure.

The guys I know did it for a few years after retiring. They are ready to really kick back so they re-retired! They enjoyed it but they said the demand is constant. With all the retirements and hiring and plane changes the training centers are going full blast.

HalinTexas
01-05-2018, 05:02 PM
SWA must pay really well. Our ground school instructor worked on avg 7-8 days a month and made about $130k.

Only if they've topped out. But they still work more than 7-8 days. They're unionized.

TallFlyer
01-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Do they ever take line guys and turn them into instructors?

EMBFlyer
01-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Do they ever take line guys and turn them into instructors?

Only into Check Airman (which do part of the training). LUS had FO IPs, but AA uses Sim Ps.

fechic
01-17-2018, 09:24 PM
On the AA.com website, they do have openings for sim pilot instructors in DFW and CLT listed. Here's the link:

https://jobs.aa.com/job/Charlotte-Flight-Simulator-Pilot-Instructor-NC-28201/452349300/

Read the minimums listed on the job posting to determine if you think you qualify, and if so, submit your app.

Good luck!

tm602
01-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Does it pay decent? Last I saw was a number of years ago and was only in the 45K range.

RyanP
01-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Anyone know what the pay and schedules are like?

MarineGrunt
01-23-2018, 04:05 AM
I may not remember correctly, but I picked the brain of my ground instructor during requal last year.

From what I remember he said he made in the neighborhood of 100k. I think I heard 115k, but not positive. He taught ground school only and wasn't interested in moving to a sim instructor because of night sims (as in 0200) and that it wasn't much more only. He was in his 60s and I have no idea how long he has worked here.

I'd only recommend the job to someone who is medically unable to fly or is approaching retirement. In the past, these jobs have not been effective stepping stones to a job at a major. You'd be better off flying 121 somewhere.

flynlion
02-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Does AA have some E-190 sims in DFW or are they all in CLT?

Allegheny
02-20-2018, 12:13 PM
The training department positions for pilots are referred to as "Sim-P" instructors. It is not a check airman position, as those positions are filled by someone on the seniority list. "Sim-P's" and ground instructors work under a TWU, Transport Workers Union, contract. Pay rates are "day rates" and start at $242.27 per day up to $262.24 per day, at 48 months of service, for a bid period of 17, 18 19 or 20 days per month.

I am looking at retirement soon but the Sim-P positions don't pay well at all at AA. Only about 60K after several years. I would have to commute to CLT or DFW and then there would be the expense of a crash pad etc. Not enough money for that situation. You either need to live in base or have lost your medical. Flight Safety pays more for the same type of work. The pay won't increase until they can't find anyone who has the experience they need.

My understanding is that Envoy (Eagle) instructors are paid much more; go figure. I don't have a regional airplane type rating so I am probably not in contention for a job there.

flynlion
02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
The training department positions for pilots are referred to as "Sim-P" instructors. It is not a check airman position, as those positions are filled by someone on the seniority list. "Sim-P's" and ground instructors work under a TWU, Transport Workers Union, contract. Pay rates are "day rates" and start at $242.27 per day up to $262.24 per day, at 48 months of service, for a bid period of 17, 18 19 or 20 days per month.

I am looking at retirement soon but the Sim-P positions don't pay well at all at AA. Only about 60K after several years. I would have to commute to CLT or DFW and then there would be the expense of a crash pad etc. Not enough money for that situation. You either need to live in base or have lost your medical. Flight Safety pays more for the same type of work. The pay won't increase until they can't find anyone who has the experience they need.

My understanding is that Envoy (Eagle) instructors are paid much more; go figure. I don't have a regional airplane type rating so I am probably not in contention for a job there.

Understand. I live in CLT and the medical thing gets tougher every year so the gig has some appeal. I think it pays about 50-55k your first year but goes up quite a bit after a couple years, not sure about exact numbers though. I had my first interview in DFW last week and it must have gone well 'cause now the second one is scheduled in CLT (yay!), just trying to figure out what plane I'm likely to get and how much traveling I would need to do for it.

ALF659
02-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Does AA have some E-190 sims in DFW or are they all in CLT?

E-190 SIMs are all in CLT.

Here is what mainline SIMs are located in each location:

DFW - S80, 737, A320, 757, 777, 787

CLT - E190, A320, A330, 757

A330FoodCritic
02-21-2018, 02:35 AM
CLT 757 SIM 00001

First ever built I think.

EMBFlyer
02-21-2018, 07:38 AM

Don't forget the A350!

EMBFlyer
02-21-2018, 07:39 AM
CLT 757 SIM 00001

First ever built I think.

Yep. Actually flew pretty nicely. They just redid the visuals on it a couple of years ago. I think it's just collecting dust as all of the 767 training moved to GSW.

flynlion
02-21-2018, 07:54 AM

Thanks that's just the info I was lookin for :)
Now I'm kinda hoping that I get the E-190 'cause it will mean less traveling out to DFW. I HATE deadheading LoL

Whiskey4
02-22-2018, 08:16 AM

Envoy would absolutely be interested in having you. I believe the first step is to type you in the aircraft.

Give them a call. Some of the salary figures floating around are anywhere from $80k-mid $90k range.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1