Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Better Than a Regional??

Iregretnothing
01-04-2018, 08:44 AM
I haven't found many positive comments on this thread so it is hard to form an opinion. Maybe someone can help me out? Is it worth leaving an AA WO regional to fly for JetBlue? The pay is better and I am like 8 years from the flow if I can do math correctly. I understand that JetBlue pilots should get paid more but should I even bother getting my foot in the door or just stay where I am at? JetBlue seems better than Frontier or Alaskan.

hilltopflyer
01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Ehhhh close, if we get a contract worth anything soon I'd say come on but it's up to management how far they let that go with picketing etc. yes it's better than frontier or spirit.

Armybeatnavy
01-04-2018, 09:03 AM
I haven't found many positive comments on this thread so it is hard to form an opinion. Maybe someone can help me out? Is it worth leaving an AA WO regional to fly for JetBlue? The pay is better and I am like 8 years from the flow if I can do math correctly. I understand that JetBlue pilots should get paid more but should I even bother getting my foot in the door or just stay where I am at? JetBlue seems better than Frontier or Alaskan.

I am in the same boat man. Roughly 5 years till I flow. I am wondering the same thing. I have a feeling, pay negotiations for both JetBlue and the wholly owned are going to be stalled for a while.

Essayons

Rascal
01-04-2018, 10:43 AM
I left my Regional to JetBlue in hopes of having a better "wait station" while I get called by a real Major. After 2 years of being here most of my friends that chose to stay behind are at United now and I am still here with $50,000 of income loss over the past 2 years, not to mention increased healthcare cost on top of it. Starting on my 3rd year pay now and my paycheck is higher than it was at the Regional but I have less days off and far worse of a drive to work. Would I do this again if I had a chance to go back? Probably not...

Bluedriver
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
I left my Regional to JetBlue in hopes of having a better "wait station" while I get called by a real Major. After 2 years of being here most of my friends that chose to stay behind are at United now and I am still here with $50,000 of income loss over the past 2 years, not to mention increased healthcare cost on top of it. Starting on my 3rd year pay now and my paycheck is higher than it was at the Regional but I have less days off and far worse of a drive to work. Would I do this again if I had a chance to go back? Probably not...

Hearing this more and more often these days.

hyperboy
01-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Hearing this more and more often these days.

You cannot compare JetBlue to any regional period. Not even close. No argument at all. Be relevant. Go to a union meeting or a rally. We are not compared to regional cause we are not one. Get off the computer, join a committee and be part of the solution. Our contract will be like our peer set.

Bluedriver
01-04-2018, 11:55 AM
You cannot compare JetBlue to any regional period. Not even close. No argument at all. Be relevant. Go to a union meeting or a rally. We are not compared to regional cause we are not one. Get off the computer, join a committee and be part of the solution. Our contract will be like our peer set.

Why are you quoting me? It was Rascals personal feelings and I said I hear others tell me the same thing...

If I'm not supposed to tell you guys to stop spreading blue fairy dust don't tell me I can't voice my observations.

jtrain609
01-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Anyone on here who thinks JetBlue is comparable to a regional hasn't been at a regional for a decade, and can't remember what it was like.

The operation isn't perfect, but it runs. The pay isn't as high as it should be, but you'll be ahead after you're off first year pay.

Most importantly there's a level of stability here that doesn't exist at regionals. In the decade I spent at the regionals, I saw a furlough, 8 base closures, the wholesale destruction of my first regional (XJT), and the destruction of any kind of safety culture at my second.

To compare the two is to completely misunderstand what life is like at a regional these days.

I'm not saying this place is perfect, I'm saying it can't be compared against a regional. The people who do are so bitter and angry about life that they'd complain about having to work "every f-ing Wednesday" at Delta and then launch off about how much their taxed on their bonus checks; put simply, the guys who inhabit this place would be angry no matter what.

Bluedriver
01-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Anyone on here who thinks JetBlue is comparable to a regional hasn't been at a regional for a decade, and can't remember what it was like.

The operation isn't perfect, but it runs. The pay isn't as high as it should be, but you'll be ahead after you're off first year pay.

Most importantly there's a level of stability here that doesn't exist at regionals. In the decade I spent at the regionals, I saw a furlough, 8 base closures, the wholesale destruction of my first regional (XJT), and the destruction of any kind of safety culture at my second.

To compare the two is to completely misunderstand what life is like at a regional these days.

I'm not saying this place is perfect, I'm saying it can't be compared against a regional. The people who do are so bitter and angry about life that they'd complain about having to work "every f-ing Wednesday" at Delta and then launch off about how much their taxed on their bonus checks; put simply, the guys who inhabit this place would be angry no matter what.

No one is saying a regional is better. False argument. We are saying this is a bottom tear major and they would be better off pursuing a career at one of the top companies in this industry.

Can you tell us all how a new hire today is likely to be much better off at JB vs DL, UAL, AA, UPS or FDX? Honest question?

Bozo the pilot
01-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Your last paragraph is based in a falsehood. Some of us are happy in our lives but ****ed at this company. Dont confuse online critique for a reflection of un-happiness. For many its a hobby---so get over it ya arrogant blueboy. :D
For the record, jetblue is 3/4 of a major- would you disagree Traindept?

Bozo the pilot
01-04-2018, 12:29 PM
No one is saying a regional is better. False argument. We are saying this is a bottom tear major and they would be better off pursuing a career at one of the top companies in this industry.

Can you tell us all how a new hire today is likely to be much better off at JB vs DL, UAL, AA, UPS or FDX? Honest question?

10 bucks says you get no real answer. He'll talk about general happiness and culture instead of Health care and retirement.
Typical apologist

Bluedriver
01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
10 bucks says you get no real answer. He'll talk about general happiness and culture instead of Health care and retirement.
Typical apologist

Ha! Guarantee you are right.

jtrain609
01-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Your last paragraph is based in a falsehood. Some of us are happy in our lives but ****ed at this company. Dont confuse online critique for a reflection of un-happiness. For many its a hobby---so get over it ya arrogant blueboy. :D
For the record, jetblue is 3/4 of a major- would you disagree Traindept?

Hey listen, I understand your perspective. Our health insurance is so bad that we use my wife's, because we couldn't afford to use ours. That's unacceptable. Our 401k match is unacceptable. We don't have a scope clause. Our pay is below our peers.

I understand that, and I agree with you.

Maybe you think this is sport, and that's fine. Me? I like working to improve conditions for my colleagues. That's why I've sacked up and done the ALPA work time and time again.

You keep *****ing, and the rest of us will sack up and do something about it.

cf105
01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Have you been o remote from the pilot market that you think it is that easy to go to UPS/Fedex/UA/DAL/AA or SWA instead of going to B6??

Of course people (military or captains with 10-15 years at regionals) go to the Legacy or Fedex/UPS when they can, but do you understand that AA/UA/DAL only hire an average of 10% non-military off the street?

B6 might be a "bottom tear major" like you say, it's still more attractive than Spirit and F9. And it is a step up from the regionals.

As far as hiring, you are not an easy airline to go to. Selection is actually tough and being hired at JetBlue is not easy. Thats why Spirit went into a hiring frenzy, taking 100s of young FOs out of the regionals, with less than 2,500 TT, some even at 2100 TT. These guys/girls dove head first to Spirit because, even if an FO can dream of making $38K flying a Bus, it's still "better than at the regional" and because it was easier than getting hired at jetblue. One of my friend's comment was "at least I'll be out of a regional, I'll live on credit cards the first year, but at least I'll be on an Airbus flying for a stable airline with hopes of a much better pay when they pass a TA"

Bozo the pilot
01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Hey listen, I understand your perspective. Our health insurance is so bad that we use my wife's, because we couldn't afford to use ours. That's unacceptable. Our 401k match is unacceptable. We don't have a scope clause. Our pay is below our peers.

But the literal title of the thread is, "Better than a regional?" So I spoke to that issue.

Maybe you think this is sport, and that's fine. Me? I like working to improve conditions for my colleagues. That's why I've sacked up and done the ALPA work time and time again.

Yea- threats aside, I figured you could handle the sarcasm in my tone.
No one seriously thinks a regional is preferable to B6, however, when a guy asks about this airline, compared to a regional, its sad. It shouldnt even be a question.

jtrain609
01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Yea- threats aside, I figured you could handle the sarcasm in my tone.
No one seriously thinks a regional is preferable to B6, however, when a guy asks about this airline, compared to a regional, its sad. It shouldnt even be a question.
Now about this threat- What you and the boys gonna do? Go ahead pm me and lets see what you got.

Threat?

You're out of your God damned mind. I haven't threatened anything. I've said that there are those of us who work for the greater good, and those of us who don't. You have the right to sit back and *****, but don't complain to me about how terrible everything is if you're not on a committee trying to make things better.

Because the company isn't going to do that for you, WE will do it together through the union.

If you're not out of your mind, you're trying to be cute. So cute that I'll buy the first round after the picket.

See you there, sweetie.

Bozo the pilot
01-04-2018, 01:13 PM

The last sentence sounds like a threat does it not?

jtrain609
01-04-2018, 01:17 PM
The last sentence sounds like a threat does it not?

No, not even kind of.

Here, let me help you out: Threat, noun, a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

I'm inviting you to continue to complain, while the rest of us step up and work.

There's no threat of retribution in that. You have the right to sit back and not help advance the cause of a pilot group, there is no retribution for doing so.

You're just not helping.

EDIT: By "do something about it," I mean further the cause of our pilot group, not throw you a blanket party, if that's what you're getting at. That would be unlawful.

IrishNJ
01-04-2018, 02:17 PM

What is wrong with you? You are nuts, I came from a regional and there's no doubt in my mind that JB is inferior in ALMOST ALL quality of life areas. Plus it takes three to four years to make back lost pay when you come here.

The OP asked about this and I would say that if he has a flow in less than five years then there is NO WAY he/she should leave a quality regional to make the step to JB. 8 years is a tossup.

Things "might" get better with a CBA but it's been 1000 days and nothing. The Union says we aren't even close to Alaska rates so I, for one, am going to start heading to Pilot Job fairs this spring unless there's a TA (after almost 3 years here)

As things stand, he will lose control over his schedule, lose vacations, have terrible health care, stay in horrible hotels, work three days and get paid for two, get assigned 16 hours days on reserve and on and on.

Plus he'll work for a company that has ZERO respect for pilots as professionals. We are treated as just another hourly worker like baggage handlers or gate agents.

Bluedriver
01-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Question, if you KNOW just how far behind we are in every way, and are working to help change it, why won't you allow us to tell others how far behind we are?

Seems strange that you KNOW it's bad but don't want us to say it out loud.

Bozo the pilot
01-04-2018, 03:05 PM
No, not even kind of.

Here, let me help you out: Threat, noun, a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

I'm inviting you to continue to complain, while the rest of us step up and work.

There's no threat of retribution in that. You have the right to sit back and not help advance the cause of a pilot group, there is no retribution for doing so.

You're just not helping.

EDIT: By "do something about it," I mean further the cause of our pilot group, not throw you a blanket party, if that's what you're getting at. That would be unlawful.

And unlikely if you knew me sweetie:rolleyes:

PilotJ3
01-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Have you been o remote from the pilot market that you think it is that easy to go to UPS/Fedex/UA/DAL/AA or SWA instead of going to B6??

Of course people (military or captains with 10-15 years at regionals) go to the Legacy or Fedex/UPS when they can, but do you understand that AA/UA/DAL only hire an average of 10% non-military off the street?

B6 might be a "bottom tear major" like you say, it's still more attractive than Spirit and F9. And it is a step up from the regionals.

As far as hiring, you are not an easy airline to go to. Selection is actually tough and being hired at JetBlue is not easy. Thats why Spirit went into a hiring frenzy, taking 100s of young FOs out of the regionals, with less than 2,500 TT, some even at 2100 TT. These guys/girls dove head first to Spirit because, even if an FO can dream of making $38K flying a Bus, it's still "better than at the regional" and because it was easier than getting hired at jetblue. One of my friend's comment was "at least I'll be out of a regional, I'll live on credit cards the first year, but at least I'll be on an Airbus flying for a stable airline with hopes of a much better pay when they pass a TA"

Huge misconception...

Dal hired 51% civilian guys in 2016 and Iím sure a higher percentage in 2017. UAL probably around the same amount of %. AA is a different deal, 75% comes from flow and the other 25% from the street.

I interviewed in B6 in 2015, I was turned down after phase 1. I was really looking forward to work for B6. Hired at DAL in 2016 and I found the interview to be less focused in ďwhy do you want to work here?Ē, ďwhy will you stay here?Ē.

To the OP, stay at Envoy, work on your resume and get an app review company. Go to job Fairs, network, keep up with voluntary service and updating the apps regularly. Unless you live in a B6 city and you can drive to work, youíll have a better future waiting for AA or another legacy/UPS/Fedex. Iím short, yes B6 is better than any regional, but think long term.

Otterbox
01-04-2018, 10:14 PM

I am in the same boat man. Roughly 5 years till I flow. I am wondering the same thing. I have a feeling, pay negotiations for both JetBlue and the wholly owned are going to be stalled for a while.

Essayons

Yes absolutely... in many cases the math works out that you’ll make more over a career by going to JetBlue and upgrading on the Airbus vs staying at an AA WO regional for 5-10 years before you flow to AA and then waiting another 7-9 years to upgrade to NB Captain there.

The two big things that could really make your flow estimates worthless are AA shutting down new hire classes 2 months a year or any other time the training center gets backed up and a merger amongst the WO (which is being discussed at two of them) and how the ALPA merger policy (seniority determined by DOH) is going to affect flow timelines after a SLI.

citxls
01-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Huge misconception...

Dal hired 51% civilian guys in 2016 and Iím sure a higher percentage in 2017. UAL probably around the same amount of %. AA is a different deal, 75% comes from flow and the other 25% from the street.

I interviewed in B6 in 2015, I was turned down after phase 1. I was really looking forward to work for B6. Hired at DAL in 2016 and I found the interview to be less focused in ďwhy do you want to work here?Ē, ďwhy will you stay here?Ē.

To the OP, stay at Envoy, work on your resume and get an app review company. Go to job Fairs, network, keep up with voluntary service and updating the apps regularly. Unless you live in a B6 city and you can drive to work, youíll have a better future waiting for AA or another legacy/UPS/Fedex. Iím short, yes B6 is better than any regional, but think long term.

Unless youíve spent a day on property at Eagle/Envoy I would seriously reconsider advising people to stay there. I was there for 5 years, and I can tell you first hand that if people think JetBlue is bad you have no idea what youíre in for if you stay at that dumpster of an airline. Involuntary upgrades (yes I said that,) displacements, and the company abuses and violates their CBA on a regular basis. I was displaced TWICE in a 6 month period, my QOL was non existent, and reserve SUCKS. ALPA representation is also non existent, and they will meter flow. Also AA sucks, everyone who flowed over said it was the same BS, just more money.

Also I disagree with advising guys to go out and do community service on their days off to get a pilot job. Absolutely insane. I remember reading that poor guys resume that DAL slandered all over their Facebook page using it as an example of what they donít want. Guess community service didnít work for him. I wouldíve sued them incredibly hard for defamation of character (I can only hope they did.)

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, our management can easily make this a great career spot, but theyíve made it clear they arenít going to play ball without a fight.

PilotJ3
01-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Unless youíve spent a day on property at Eagle/Envoy I would seriously reconsider advising people to stay there. I was there for 5 years, and I can tell you first hand that if people think JetBlue is bad you have no idea what youíre in for if you stay at that dumpster of an airline. Involuntary upgrades (yes I said that,) displacements, and the company abuses and violates their CBA on a regular basis. I was displaced TWICE in a 6 month period, my QOL was non existent, and reserve SUCKS. ALPA representation is also non existent, and they will meter flow. Also AA sucks, everyone who flowed over said it was the same BS, just more money.

Also I disagree with advising guys to go out and do community service on their days off to get a pilot job. Absolutely insane. I remember reading that poor guys resume that DAL slandered all over their Facebook page using it as an example of what they donít want. Guess community service didnít work for him. I wouldíve sued them incredibly hard for defamation of character (I can only hope they did.)

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, our management can easily make this a great career spot, but theyíve made it clear they arenít going to play ball without a fight.

I spent 6 years. I went throu the Bankruptcy and all the whipsaw shenanigans. I lost 2 of my bases and I know how the company works. Watched peers leaving to other companies following upgrades, blah blah blah. Thatís why if you read my last line says ďJetBlue is better than any regionalĒ.

I have good friends at Jetblue, I wish you guys the best.

Rascal
01-05-2018, 05:52 AM
Huge misconception...

Good post but I will say that in my experience going to job fairs has not made a difference. I have attended 5 job fairs for Delta alone and every time I got the same old spiel of "you are exactly what we are looking for, just get more TPIC (I have over 2k) or Check-airman time (not possible at my current position). Meanwhile, I keep seeing people with with barely ATP mins getting the call. Looking at my personal and my friends experiences it seems that getting the call is for the most part random or you just happen to be in the demographic that they are looking for.

If you work for a regional with a reasonable flow through or preferential interview deal, I would not leave for JetBlue. Keep your applications updated for the real Majors while you wait for your flow and the odds are you will end up in a much better place sooner rather than later.

Bluedriver
01-05-2018, 06:29 AM
To add to Rascal, just because you have a flow to AA, you should still be trying to be a street hire at DL, UAL, SWA, UPS and FDX.

They seem to steal each other's regional pilots before taking JB guys. We are losing some, but I talk to too many JB guys that are trying but not getting the call.

Bloggs
01-05-2018, 07:39 AM

So, B6 is absolutely, positively better than a regional?

Nice.

https://m.popkey.co/917248/zEOY3.gif

P-3Bubba
01-05-2018, 08:05 AM
JetBlue isnít a bad place. Itís a good place. I bash on all this rsa and helping out, but thatís because weíre negating a contract. Jetblue was founded upon pilots who were totally burned in the industry. UsAir TWA ATA Independence. These guys were lucky to have jobs. They worked hard to make the airline succeed. They did a great job. But through this success the reward has never been two sided. The company has maneuvered its scheduling and operating plan to capitalize on the good will culture and nature of the workers who make the success happen.

Look at the jets that sat off the gates yesterday at JFK. Was senior leadership on those jets answering questions about WTF is going in? Nope. Pilots and Inflight. When a customer decides to like or hate jblue itís probaby based on the interaction at this operational level. This is where the compensation meets the pavement. The culture and goodwill is there. Itís not going to leave, but this good will capitalization by management is over.

Millions in profits, peer set OAL contracts and the realization that jblue is a big market player are the catalysts that make a CBA nescessary. That CBA will reflect the value of the pilot group and will solidify jblue as a career airline no one questions is the right place to work.

-Bubs

hilltopflyer
01-05-2018, 04:01 PM
JetBlue isnít a bad place. Itís a good place. I bash on all this rsa and helping out, but thatís because weíre negating a contract. Jetblue was founded upon pilots who were totally burned in the industry. UsAir TWA ATA Independence. These guys were lucky to have jobs. They worked hard to make the airline succeed. They did a great job. But through this success the reward has never been two sided. The company has maneuvered its scheduling and operating plan to capitalize on the good will culture and nature of the workers who make the success happen.

Look at the jets that sat off the gates yesterday at JFK. Was senior leadership on those jets answering questions about WTF is going in? Nope. Pilots and Inflight. When a customer decides to like or hate jblue itís probaby based on the interaction at this operational level. This is where the compensation meets the pavement. The culture and goodwill is there. Itís not going to leave, but this good will capitalization by management is over.

Millions in profits, peer set OAL contracts and the realization that jblue is a big market player are the catalysts that make a CBA nescessary. That CBA will reflect the value of the pilot group and will solidify jblue as a career airline no one questions is the right place to work.

-Bubs

Good post, agreed that this can be a great place to work and have a career at. The problem is we don't know for sure or not if that is going to happen. People helping out doesn't speed the process at all.

coopervane
01-06-2018, 06:34 AM
So jetblew could be/might be a good place to work......but only if they reverse 17 years of established operations and pilot relationship in the first CBA. They arenít suffering yet and this pilot group has not applied any pressure towards that goal. Oh wait....we paid for some billboards and newspaper ads.

They are minting money yet had to establish a committee to discuss for weeks the possibility of giving us a $1000 bonus.

What do you suppose the odds are?

Not great.

atrdriver
01-06-2018, 02:25 PM
So jetblew could be/might be a good place to work......but only if they reverse 17 years of established operations and pilot relationship in the first CBA. They arenít suffering yet and this pilot group has not applied any pressure towards that goal. Oh wait....we paid for some billboards and newspaper ads.

They are minting money yet had to establish a committee to discuss for weeks the possibility of giving us a $1000 bonus.

Not great.

Bingo. .......

atrdriver
01-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Do regional airlines lose operational control this often? Today has been a total clown show. Knew I should have called in sick.

Oh and sorry.... book your own deadheads UFN. :eek: Yeah right.

Bozo the pilot
01-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Do regional airlines lose operational control this often? Today has been a total clown show. Knew I should have called in sick.

Totally avoidable- No lessons learned from 2014 or the other irop collapses.
I feel bad for those of you trying to hold this together. Good luck today and tomorrow.

capt707
01-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Enjoy another 1000 days of negotiations, that's all I've got to say.

:mad::rolleyes:

slimothy
01-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Was there an email I missed? Thatís pretty awesome!

Bozo the pilot
01-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Was there an email I missed? Thatís pretty awesome!

Yes- the email begging us to work had pairing segments originating out of base like San-Bos so I guess if you wanted the 💲, youíd obviously have to DH there and operate back. But they gave instructions to list yourself for the dh.

Can Someone confirm that? This is conjecture.

hilltopflyer
01-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Yes- the email begging us to work had pairing segments originating out of base like San-Bos so I guess if you wanted the 💲, youíd obviously have to DH there and operate back. But they gave instructions to list yourself for the dh.

Completely true

slimothy
01-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Classic. Just got to work to fly my scheduled line. Checked my email, things seem to be running awesome! FUPM.

pilotgolfer
01-06-2018, 07:06 PM

Do they at least know which crew is in which airplane...or at least which airplane is in which city? In 2006 they had us all come into the airport during one storm. There was a gaggle of people in the crew room and they asked people to put their names down on a sheet of paper. Total cluster of an operation. I turned around and went home. They had no clue who was there. They didn’t even know where airplanes were.

I think that was a week or two after the Valentines Day Massacre.

Std Deviation
01-07-2018, 04:16 PM

I have to be in the minority. Showed up Saturday for scheduled 4 day in the afternoon. Leg 4 of the “FL-NYC shuttle” and the entire crew has showed up. Couple hours delayed but it’s moving. I expected it to fall apart but they seemingly have managed to move 4 flights:p

Weird thing is, open seats on all.

Bluedriver
01-08-2018, 05:29 AM

Not great.

Triple Juicebox Bingo!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1