Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Tmann85
01-04-2018, 11:52 PM
I have a class date Jan 10th and have heard rumors of qualified pilots being awarded captain slots in DTW and ATL. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the rumor or is it all smoke and mirrors ?

Tmann85
01-04-2018, 11:56 PM
I have a class date coming up soon and was wondering if there were any truths about qualified pilots being awarded captain slots in ATL and DTW. Thanks

zondaracer
01-05-2018, 01:25 AM
Yes itís true. In two out of the last three awards, captain positions were awarded to new hires. In the last award, the most junior captain position was awarded to a pilot who was on property for less than two months.

zondaracer
01-05-2018, 02:29 AM
Yes itís true
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/skywest/110326-captain-slots-while-ground-school.html

Tmann85
01-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Thank you for the info. Thats a huge incentive.

amcnd
01-05-2018, 06:09 AM
It will continue.. Tell VH (if your CRJ SLC) when you get there that you have the time and interested.. (or DM im DEN). Full disclaimer you will get ATL or DTW.

Cefiro
01-05-2018, 07:12 AM
It will continue.. Tell VH (if your CRJ SLC) when you get there that you have the time and interested.. (or DM im DEN). Full disclaimer you will get ATL or DTW.

And be on endless reserve.

bonanza
01-05-2018, 08:03 AM
And be on endless reserve.

When does Atlanta become a full time base with lines

amcnd
01-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Already is...

zondaracer
01-05-2018, 11:00 AM

5 weeks ago. Reserve only base lasted just a month.

Cefiro
01-05-2018, 12:32 PM

It is, I just meant street captains will keep having FOs senior to them jump them on the seniority list. Not the worst thing in the world if you live at base though.

StlLifer
01-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Soon you will hear captains saying that once they get a little more senior they will be able to hold an FO position.

Tmann85
01-06-2018, 06:31 PM
I was curious I really don't care about being reserve I have flown enough over the past couple of years. I just can not take the pay cut as an FO. I hear SkyWest is a great company with lots of great people to fly with. Management is good and bad like most companies but its the people that we work with every day that makes the difference. If anyone has any pointers or advice It would be greatly appreciated.

Check Complete
01-06-2018, 09:46 PM
I was curious I really don't care about being reserve I have flown enough over the past couple of years. I just can not take the pay cut as an FO. I hear SkyWest is a great company with lots of great people to fly with. Management is good and bad like most companies but its the people that we work with every day that makes the difference. If anyone has any pointers or advice It would be greatly appreciated.

Endeavor, Republic.

Why take a pay cut, block to credit cut?

Tmann85
01-07-2018, 03:57 AM
Endeavor, Republic.

Why take a pay cut, block to credit cut?

They are both good companies to work for, but being based in Atlanta as a captain on reserve is not that bad. I know people that work for Skywest and know most of the inner workings already. Republic and Endeavor sound great but I really don't know anything about the inner workings of the future plans. I have only heard good things about skywest so I guess thats why its so attractive. Im also sure that there are some bad spots but that comes with every company.

Cefiro
01-07-2018, 04:16 AM
They are both good companies to work for, but being based in Atlanta as a captain on reserve is not that bad. I know people that work for Skywest and know most of the inner workings already. Republic and Endeavor sound great but I really don't know anything about the inner workings of the future plans. I have only heard good things about skywest so I guess thats why its so attractive. Im also sure that there are some bad spots but that comes with every company.

If you can't tell morale is slightly down since passing our last TA. But, at this point it is what it is.....

Just talk to someone in the office when you start indoc. While things change month to month, I'd be shocked if they didn't slide you onto the CA list.

Welcome!

CRJ All Day
01-07-2018, 04:32 AM
If you are looking for essentially a direct entry captain position also look at Endeavor. Like Skywest we have pilots that have been on property less than a month get awarded ATL captain positions. And unless you are carrying over 10 years of longevity you will make a lot more at Endeavor. Work rules are good and on reserve you will get 12 days off. Picked up flying is all at 150% and occasionally 200%. And for future plans we are also growing heavily.

jetprop420
01-07-2018, 07:29 AM
If awarded a captain position at SkyWest during class, do we finish training as a captain or first officer? If we finish training as an FO, do we go through the full training program again as a captain or an abbreviated schedule? Thanks in advance.

zondaracer
01-07-2018, 07:54 AM
If awarded a captain position at SkyWest during class, do we finish training as a captain or first officer? If we finish training as an FO, do we go through the full training program again as a captain or an abbreviated schedule? Thanks in advance.

You go through as an FO and then you go through the abbreviated upgrade training for current CRJ FO-CA upgrades.

The E175FO -> CRJCA gets the full blown class.

Check Complete
01-07-2018, 07:55 AM

One of the guys that was awarded a CA position as a new hire ended up going through complete initial, then he had to go back through the full upgrade curriculum. The FAA said there was no approved pathway for that type of circumstance. That may have been corrected by now, but I'm not sure.

I do know that until you do your last sim check that your pay will be FO starting pay at the training guarantee of 65 hours per month. No per diem and you get to share a room with another person.

So think about it, if your career aspirations are to get some time and get out, why SkyWest? Your pay and direct entry at Endeavor or Republic is going to be much better considering their pay scale and that they pay actual block? No double bunking through training and at a pay scale that doesn't kill your savings until you are on line! If you are coming to SkyWest for the possible bases, I understand. Just remember as a new CA you will not get out of DTW or ATL for 5 years.

Tmann85
01-13-2018, 05:52 AM
Well that was short lived. No more CA slots available in ATL or DTW. That truly sucks. No updates on when more CA will be open. Not looking good.

N1234
01-13-2018, 06:02 AM
Well that was short lived. No more CA slots available in ATL or DTW. That truly sucks. No updates on when more CA will be open. Not looking good.

Huh? Where is that coming from?

sn00p
01-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Huh? Where is that coming from?

El oh el. Iím guessing he is talking about the zeroed out DVR.

Tmann85 thatís not even close to being the final update. They do that every month.

Cefiro
01-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Ummm, they filled them for the month. It will be updated again at the end of the month.

amcnd
01-13-2018, 10:28 AM

DVR is not out. (Never look at that page after the award comes out or befre the email with the link comes out) They need to reset it before they change it for March awards. Should come out later next week..

peepz
01-13-2018, 12:08 PM

Lol. Pessimistic much?

ImPilot I Fly
01-14-2018, 01:26 AM
Do you even know VD? Call her sometime. Sweet lady.

rickair7777
01-14-2018, 08:37 AM

"Truly sucks" that you can't get a DEC slot at SKW? With longevity credit for your previous airline?

I'm afraid to ask what you would say about the 6-7 year upgrade times we saw in the past :rolleyes:

amcnd
01-14-2018, 12:31 PM
With know orders this year, CRJ Upgrade will continue to be low less then 1 year for the rest of 2018.. ERJ 3 yearíish.. i would say 2-3 years is ideal for a new guy to get comfortable in the aircraft and airline world... FO pay is at a all time high. I remember upgrading and moving from FO pay in the $20 range to $60 as captain. Now FOís are making almost RJ Captain pay of the late 90ís...

TheAshtar
01-14-2018, 01:55 PM
AMCND is right.

When I was a NH, the compensation was at a level that most new people (millennials) have a hard time comprehending. $19.02/hour... We had to use WIC (Women Infant Care) in Utah and qualified for free shots for our first born. Not exaggerating, pay and benefits were low. Good savings or a winning lotto ticket were necessary to make it if you didnít have parents or a trust fund to help. There were 7 of us interviewing on that day in 7/2003. I had 2400TT and a Citation type and was 2nd from lowest TT! During my FNG days there were two pilots who couldnít afford a place to stay in their base (SBA) and lived in a surplus WWII officers tent at the state park for 8 months. This actually made the news and ****ed off brad holt.

Iím not trying to preach about walking to work, uphill in the snow, barefoot with a 25lb Jepp case; but I hope people/prospective pilots can use enough metal power to keep in mind not only their present situation, but also how good/bad it could be depending on all the outside factors (economy,etc.). Right now itís good. It wonít be forever.

Captian slots for NH will slow going forward because: 1) there are fewer Captain needed in DTW, ATL as it all shakes out, and 2) as each month passes, more and more ďjuniorĒ people with the ďanyĒ bid in are obtaining the required time.

Nothing different from the last 50 years. Going forward, I canít imaging the changes/disruptions... but they will happen!

TFAYD!

Bravix
01-15-2018, 07:53 PM
"Truly sucks" that you can't get a DEC slot at SKW? With longevity credit for your previous airline?

I'm afraid to ask what you would say about the 6-7 year upgrade times we saw in the past :rolleyes:

Ra ra ra, back in my day.

We all know, trust me. But this isn't 6-7 years ago. If you went for a 30 year mortgage now, and they gave you a higher rate that was common 6 years ago (I didn't check, but we're going to say 6% for the sake of my point), would you accept it? Would you be happy about it? Would you quietly accept it? Or would you point out that the rate given sucks compared to the current industry standard?

Bravix
01-15-2018, 08:05 PM
AMCND is right.

When I was a NH, the compensation was at a level that most new people (millennials) have a hard time comprehending. $19.02/hour... We had to use WIC (Women Infant Care) in Utah and qualified for free shots for our first born. Not exaggerating, pay and benefits were low. Good savings or a winning lotto ticket were necessary to make it if you didnít have parents or a trust fund to help. There were 7 of us interviewing on that day in 7/2003. I had 2400TT and a Citation type and was 2nd from lowest TT! During my FNG days there were two pilots who couldnít afford a place to stay in their base (SBA) and lived in a surplus WWII officers tent at the state park for 8 months. This actually made the news and ****ed off brad holt.

Iím not trying to preach about walking to work, uphill in the snow, barefoot with a 25lb Jepp case; but I hope people/prospective pilots can use enough metal power to keep in mind not only their present situation, but also how good/bad it could be depending on all the outside factors (economy,etc.). Right now itís good. It wonít be forever.

Captian slots for NH will slow going forward because: 1) there are fewer Captain needed in DTW, ATL as it all shakes out, and 2) as each month passes, more and more ďjuniorĒ people with the ďanyĒ bid in are obtaining the required time.

Nothing different from the last 50 years. Going forward, I canít imaging the changes/disruptions... but they will happen!

TFAYD!

Have a hard time believing you actually had to use WIC, and didn't just hear about it from that one pilot you flew with, when you don't know that it stands for Women, Infants, and Children. Strange that a millennial who you assume doesn't need it knows that but you don't :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying though, but read my post which should be just above this one for my opinion on that.

You're right, this probably won't last forever. Why shouldn't we take advantage of it while we can? Or should only the executives get to take advantage of record profits? If we'll accept 1%, I imagine we'd accept concessions if the economy tanked and it was the only way to stay afloat.

ROCKETM8
01-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Hey guys, who is upgrading while still in class? Are these CA's from other companies?

I have 2500TT 850121 TSIC, looking to get into the left seat as soon as possible and thinking about SKW. Better bases sooner? Other company. Better pay? Other company. Better opportunity sooner? Skywest. I am a worker, will go to DTW if needed. Know what I'm in for. It's a regional and we all know what that means. What would be the quickest path to upgrade if I were to join the side? And best educated guess of time?

amcnd
01-16-2018, 03:20 AM
As far as Upgrade. You are 150hrs away fom 1000 121.. you could get CRJ Captain in ATL or DTW right away. Basically end of each mont when the bids are awarded tey go into newhire classes and ask if you have the time.. (reason they ask is your not in the computer system yet for the bid)

And as far as W.I.C program we were on it the first 3 years of my Regional life.. but that was 20 years ago..

ROCKETM8
01-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Yes we are on medicaid right now. More food stamps cometh if Skywest. So if I go to a junior base where things happen quick, you reckon it will be a 1000SIC thing and upgrade?

I could do that.

Btw, any rumors of you guys going up to Alaska?

As far as Upgrade. You are 150hrs away fom 1000 121.. you could get CRJ Captain in ATL or DTW right away. Basically end of each mont when the bids are awarded tey go into newhire classes and ask if you have the time.. (reason they ask is your not in the computer system yet for the bid)

And as far as W.I.C program we were on it the first 3 years of my Regional life.. but that was 20 years ago..

amcnd
01-16-2018, 09:42 AM
We have off and on flown to a few cityís in SE Alaska...