Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 7500 Bonus to 135 pilots as well?

rswitz
01-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,
Are current 135 pilots getting the 7500 bonus or just 121 guys? I have an SIC jet type rating, if that matters. Went through the full 2 week sim program at CAE, but for some reason certain people refuse to call it a type rating.

thanks.

daOldMan
01-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Hey guys,
Are current 135 pilots getting the 7500 bonus or just 121 guys? I have an SIC jet type rating, if that matters. Went through the full 2 week sim program at CAE, but for some reason certain people refuse to call it a type rating.

thanks.

SIC type ratings are about equivalent to a merit badge. It is the "participation trophy" of the airline industry.

155mm
01-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Hey guys,

thanks.

Are you referring to Air Wisconsin? Link: Pilots (http://www.airwis.com/pilots.html)

"$8,000 Type Rating Bonus
Pilots with Part 91K, 121 or 135 carrier with an ATP and type rating in an aircraft greater than 12,500 lbs. Paid at completion of IOE (approx 3-4 months)"
Can't hurt to ask!

MidnightHauler
01-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Hey guys,

thanks.
Yes, you'll get the bonus.

Check Complete
01-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

thanks.

The recruiters will tell you yes, plus a new rolls royce and a mansion on the hill. Get it in writing and use the paper to wipe your tears when the company says: sorry but that doesn't qualify.......

MidnightHauler
01-06-2018, 06:10 PM
The recruiters will tell you yes, plus a new rolls royce and a mansion on the hill. Get it in writing and use the paper to wipe your tears when the company says: sorry but that doesn't qualify.......

No, he doesn't need to get squat in writing. All he has to do is email recruiting after IOE and they'll deposit the bonus in his pay the following pay check like they did many of us a while back, including me. Painless process.

MidnightHauler
01-06-2018, 06:12 PM
I came here almost two years ago with 5000tt, lots of 135, and an SIC rating. Got the bonus because of prior 135.

bonanza
01-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Good to know

NewGuy01
01-06-2018, 07:31 PM
I got the bonus but all of the types were PIC. Sooooo can help ya. Id just say you have a type when you ask for the bonus lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidnightHauler
01-06-2018, 07:50 PM
The requirements for the bonus are previous 121 and 135 experience OR type rating. Doesn't matter if it's PIC or SIC type.

rswitz
01-07-2018, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Now maybe I won't have to sell and kidney to pay firsts month rent in Denver.

The SIC type, the way I see it, is a type rating. I went to school for it, 2 weeks of ground, 28 hours in the sim, an oral and practical. I did all the approaches, airwork, v1 cuts, go arounds and emergencies. Now it's printed on my licence.

If it's a participation trophy, it cost my company something like 15,000 dollars. It's a type rating.

Skyhawk121
01-07-2018, 03:48 PM
As long as the type is in a Jet, not a turbo prop, they will pay it PIC or SIC. I had this conversation with recruiting before coming over. But they are also paying it for previous part 121 or 135 experience.

TroutBum
01-08-2018, 01:08 PM
The company website also states the bonus is available to "qualified military pilots." Any one know what "qualified" means?

trip
01-08-2018, 02:11 PM
The company website also states the bonus is available to "qualified military pilots." Any one know what "qualified" means?

Jet pilots.

TroutBum
01-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Jet pilots.

So C-130, P-3, etc. are SOL?

trip
01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
So C-130, P-3, etc. are SOL?

You'll have to check with official sources but I've heard a former military turboprop hire is challenging that along with SAPA.

WaterRooster
01-08-2018, 04:56 PM
You'll have to check with official sources but I've heard a former military turboprop hire is challenging that along with SAPA.

They apparently pay out to Rotor typed as well

TroutBum
01-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info. The recruiting website has no contact info for questions, so I'll have to track down a POC and get the information.

JKSees
01-09-2018, 12:09 PM
If you went AF UPT and tracked heavies you should have a BE-400 type. Thats how I got my $7500. Ironically the C-17 doesn't count because there is no civilian equivalent (type).

tm602
01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Rob,
Just heard from a couple buddies that SIC types will count. Turbojet only however.

TroutBum
01-09-2018, 01:06 PM
If you went AF UPT and tracked heavies you should have a BE-400 type. Thats how I got my $7500. Ironically the C-17 doesn't count because there is no civilian equivalent (type).

Thanks -- I come from the Navy P-3 world, which does have a civilian type rating (L-188). I will dig deeper and report what I find.

Skyhawk121
01-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Asked a buddy on the recruiting team. "Qualified" means a military trained pilot that either has a DD-214 and some kind of proof of training or proof of current military service. Rotor types and turbo prop types don't count, but if you were/are a military pilot you don't need a jet type rating to get the bonus, you qualify for it based on military training.

The other possible qualification is previous 135 or 121 experience.

WaterRooster
01-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Asked a buddy on the recruiting team. "Qualified" means a military trained pilot that either has a DD-214 and some kind of proof of training or proof of current military service. Rotor types and turbo prop types don't count, but if you were/are a military pilot you don't need a jet type rating to get the bonus, you qualify for it based on military training.

They are counting Rotor. I have a buddy that was told that it counted, so I made him get it in writing.

TroutBum
01-10-2018, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info. That means I am eligible, but will definitely get that in writing from the co. if I get to that point.

Skyhawk121
01-11-2018, 07:53 AM
They are counting Rotor. I have a buddy that was told that it counted, so I made him get it in writing.

So I got the number of the manager that runs the bonus program from my friend and called him to ask a few of these questions and just said I wanted to know so I can do some "side recruiting" and collect on the referral bonus. A general helicopter type rating does not count for the bonus, nor does a turboprop type. If they are a military pilot it doesn't matter if they have a type rating or not, as long as they were a military pilot (lots of military pilots don't bother to ever do the paper work to get the type rating put on their certificate). If they fly helicopter in the 135 world that qualifies them under the 135 experience. Same goes if they fly a turboprop in the 135 world, they qualify for previous 135 experience.

TroutBum
01-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Thanks for getting the info from the horses mouth. The company website has no contact information for pilot recruiting. I tracked down an email and got no response. I then messaged pilot recruiting on Facebook and got a response that they would be emailing or calling me shortly. Never heard a word. You would think they would be more responsive in today's job market.

MidnightHauler
01-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Thanks for getting the info from the horses mouth. The company website has no contact information for pilot recruiting. I tracked down an email and got no response. I then messaged pilot recruiting on Facebook and got a response that they would be emailing or calling me shortly. Never heard a word. You would think they would be more responsive in today's job market.
I simply called recruiting (Spencer St the time) and asked him about it. He said it would go into my account the following pay period, which it did. That was almost two years ago so I don't know if they changed the process.

Dontfly4free
01-31-2018, 01:27 PM
How much did the bonus end up being after taxes?

MidnightHauler
01-31-2018, 02:44 PM
How much did the bonus end up being after taxes?

About $5500.

Check Complete
01-31-2018, 03:15 PM

That doesn't mean squat here!

SEAtoSummit
02-02-2018, 03:51 AM
Is there a payback period if you leave (i.e. gotta stay 1 year on property)? Or is it yours to keep after IOE, even if you get picked up by a major shortly thereafter?

NewGuy01
02-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Is there a payback period if you leave (i.e. gotta stay 1 year on property)? Or is it yours to keep after IOE, even if you get picked up by a major shortly thereafter?

Hired January and after an email asking for the bonus it was posted to my bank account around June. But if you get that job at a major it isn't worth getting hung up about...