Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FO MIA Base 2.5 years to award

NYGiants
01-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Just so potential new hires are aware, each month the list grows for FO's bidding MIA. Over the past 6 months we have averaged only 2 back fill awards ( no new vacancies) per month. The denied awards report shows this data.
March 2018 denied - 43
April 2018 denied - 44
June 2018 denied - 53

With each new hire class we are having more and more FO's bid for MIA with only an average of 2 awards per month. If you started class today and put your name on the list at 54 in line, divide by 2 awards per month average, you are looking at 27 months until you receive the award, and 4 months to wait to sit in base. It is at least 2 and a half years until an FO will sit in MIA base. Just FYI folks.

KCaviator
01-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Some of our lines of flying in MIA are supposedely being displaced to DCA. With Envoy putting 175s in MIA, the wait is only going to get longer.

cf105
01-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Some of our lines of flying in MIA are supposedely being displaced to DCA. With Envoy putting 175s in MIA, the wait is only going to get longer.

when are the rumors saying the Envoy 175 are coming to MIA?

ORD170
01-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Why would anyone come to Republic for a MIA base. Couple years late on that idea. I would expect more movement as the senior FOs upgrade in MIA, but they could just not backfill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYGiants
01-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Why would anyone come to Republic for a MIA base. Couple years late on that idea. I would expect more movement as the senior FOs upgrade in MIA, but they could just not backfill.

I have recently met a few brand new FO's hoping for MIA in 6 months. Some misinformation is out there. I think more new hires than you'd think are coming here for the MIA base misinformed about time to hold it. A new hire will be awarded upgrade at our junior bases before being awarded MIA as an FO.

Longleaf7
01-09-2018, 12:58 PM
I was told less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORD170
01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
I was told less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the junior FO in base is a Jan 17 I believe, but sounds like a long list to get in today. Movement will pick up a little in the spring, but I would expect 2 years right now. Everything could change in the next 6 months though

bonanza
01-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Good to know living in Florida. I will put Republic lower on my list now

CaptJackSparrow
01-09-2018, 02:53 PM
when are the rumors saying the Envoy 175 are coming to MIA?

We haven't heard any rumors of that over here. You guys have EOW, we don't and there's no talks of getting it anytime soon. But our 145 lines are supposed to nearly double by June/July according to an email we received earlier this year from the company. Not sure how that would impact you guys but I would doubt it does. Probably has more to do with us picking up the slack from the departure of Air Whiskey via fly through routes.

NYGiants
01-10-2018, 04:50 AM

I love working here and its a great place, but it'll be a wait for MIA. At this point if you were going to commute I'd say go with Endeavor, no one can match their pay and benefits. If MIA basing is a top priority go with Envoy. I've heard new hires get it quickly. However, once you upgrade at Envoy you will be commuting to LGA. With that said I'd say go with Endeavor. Same with Republic, even if you get MIA in 2 years you will soon upgrade to a new york base and sit there for a couple years. You wouldn't even get to enjoy the MIA base unless you hold off on upgrade which is never recommended.

Disclaimer, this is just the snapshot of everything today, it could get worse or better. It will be interesting to see what happens next award on Feb 9th, when they release awards for June. We'll see if they let more into MIA to ramp up staffing for summer flying.

Good Luck!

Fly507
01-10-2018, 09:26 AM

Don't put it at all... go to Envoy if you live in FL. Quicker upgrade, MIA base, Flow, same equipment (not out of MIA though).

bklynbacon
01-12-2018, 04:54 AM
Since MIA is such a long haul away from being awarded..what's the next best option for us South Florida folks to commute to? LGA/EWR, or somewhere like ORD...

ORD170
01-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Since MIA is such a long haul away from being awarded..what's the next best option for us South Florida folks to commute to? LGA/EWR, or somewhere like ORD...

South Florida is a tough commute. Probably LGA, but it will be tough.

NYGiants
01-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Depends on the airport you are commuting out of in south florida. my recommendation is go to passrider.com and plug in your airports look at how many flights per day. Usually you can only commute on one end, most commuters like to get home same day after a trip. So look at how late flights run back to get you home. From my experience south florida to EWR is an easy commute, LGA doesn't have as many options, but its doable.

bigtime209
01-12-2018, 01:57 PM
We haven't heard any rumors of that over here. You guys have EOW, we don't and there's no talks of getting it anytime soon. But our 145 lines are supposed to nearly double by June/July according to an email we received earlier this year from the company. Not sure how that would impact you guys but I would doubt it does. Probably has more to do with us picking up the slack from the departure of Air Whiskey via fly through routes.

Envoy 175s will have EOW certification within the next couple of months and will be operating in MIA by late this summer.

cf105
01-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Envoy 175s will have EOW certification within the next couple of months and will be operating in MIA by late this summer.

awesome. I love facts. And, by the way, do they have the FAA/DOT routes certificates already approved for 2018???? How come AA got RAH's 2018 renewed? man, those AA bosses don't know what they're doing, Envoy must've not told them. LOL

ORD170
01-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Pretty simple certification to get, and AA should be able to expedite the process if they need you guys qualified. Republic did online training for the pilots initial for EOW. I believe FA had to complete some hands on training though. Iím sure this time next year you guys will be approved and flying routes.

Tpinks
01-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Pretty simple certification to get, and AA should be able to expedite the process if they need you guys qualified. Republic did online training for the pilots initial for EOW. I believe FA had to complete some hands on training though. I’m sure this time next year you guys will be approved and flying routes.

Airplanes and pilots sure, but the entire airline has to go through a rigorous auditing process. No paperwork has been filed for Envoy.

ORD170
01-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Airplanes and pilots sure, but the entire airline has to go through a rigorous auditing process. No paperwork has been filed for Envoy.

Itís not that rigorous. Republic had issues because the POI at the time was a micro manager. Honestly a year is probably over estimating the timeline. A lot depends on how far along they are in the process now, but easily with 1 year. No idea what paperwork youíre talking about, but the routes are pretty much canned. isnít Panam in 1950.

They use to fly the ATR EOW, so I would imagine they have some knowledge about the process. Many of the routes Republic does now, were ATR routes 10 years ago.

bigtime209
01-15-2018, 10:47 AM
awesome. I love facts. And, by the way, do they have the FAA/DOT routes certificates already approved for 2018???? How come AA got RAH's 2018 renewed? man, those AA bosses don't know what they're doing, Envoy must've not told them. LOL

Just to be clear, Republic will still have a MIA base. Envoy will just start to also do some 175 flying there.

cf105
01-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Just to be clear, Republic will still have a MIA base. Envoy will just start to also do some 175 flying there.

When "will [they] just start to also do some 175 flying there", meaning based out of there?

bigtime209
01-16-2018, 10:16 AM
When "will [they] just start to also do some 175 flying there", meaning based out of there?

Sometime this summer. And it will just be fly through out of DFW and/or ORD. No base there.

sflpilot
01-16-2018, 03:58 PM

If you want to stay in Florida I would not consider Republic. Not only will you have to commute from the outset, but when you can hold the left seat MIA will likely not be the junior upgrade so you will wait even longer for that. Envoy can give you no commute from the beginning and faster upgrade and MIA would be available for that also. Silver is another option in FLL. Also the only major that has a base in south florida is AA and envoy takes you directly there. Jetblue and Spirit are also on the table if you want that to be your career company.

Hockeyjr1
02-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Iíd like to chime in, but pardon the ignorance as Iím not on the inside yet. From what Iíve read, envoys possible to get MIA only if you get on the 140 and first do 6-8 months on property but first stop is LGA. Then, as soon as you hit upgrade mins then back to LGA and sit CA reserve for almost a year. The. Hold a line, then transfer back out again.

My hope is to maybe get on republic and go to LGA, then possibly bid out or upgrade first and be making way better money the entire time, with a Union, on a more nice jet, have trip and duty rigs, and benefits on 3 lines. I donít mind moving up north or even snow birding it for a few months every year till I can get MIA.

The flow is nice backup by as of now itís 9+ years and growing and might not even be used if hire classes slow to a stop at aa for whatever reasons. In that 9 years the pay different between the 2 is a crazy amount of money. Any other suggestions Iím open to also.

Ultimate goal is SWA JetBlue AA or Alaska but not in that particular order.

stringandrudder
02-18-2018, 09:04 PM
If you want to stay in Florida I would not consider Republic. Not only will you have to commute from the outset, but when you can hold the left seat MIA will likely not be the junior upgrade so you will wait even longer for that. Envoy can give you no commute from the beginning and faster upgrade and MIA would be available for that also. Silver is another option in FLL. Also the only major that has a base in south florida is AA and envoy takes you directly there. Jetblue and Spirit are also on the table if you want that to be your career company.

Because no one has ever gone to jetBlue or spirit without it being their career company ... :rolleyes:

Kerizbro
02-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Is Houston going to affect the Mia base much?

pilatus028
02-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Is Houston going to affect the Mia base much?

I hope so...I'm at the bottom of reserve for June. Any number of people to get out there (IAH) in July is going to help. It will help with upgrades too, not just FO's moving out. So overall movement I would think.

I'm also thinking I made a mistake going reserve in Miami when I had a line in DCA and was swapping for trips in Miami anyways. Doing 90+ hours with easy turns out of Miami. I got a feeling being on reserve in Miami they're going to send my ass back to LGA to sit reserve out of base.

Only time will tell and we shall see what actually happens. If I don't see much change and reserve life back to being what it is I may go back out until I hold a line out of Miami.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1