Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Study material

Chillpill
01-10-2018, 03:31 PM
What should a mil guy study to prepare for an airline interview?
Is 11-217 good enough for instrument knowledge? I don't know what I don't know.

BeatNavy
01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
What should a mil guy study to prepare for an airline interview?
Is 11-217 good enough for instrument knowledge? I don't know what I don't know.

100% depends on the airline. Any in particular?

bennet00
01-10-2018, 04:51 PM
These are not original thoughts, these are proven ways that military pilots have been successful.

General Knowledge -
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot - Richie Lengle (There is an iPad version also, that is very good and updated recently)

Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators (available online as a pdf), Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, or another book on Aero.

FAA Instrument Approach Procedures Handbook

I would also suggest studying some Jeppesen Approach Plate tutorials online, or hiring a local instructor to get a hour or two "ground school" on current Jepp plates and how to brief them.

Major Hiring Specific-
Ready Set Takeoff (RST) for COG, JKT
Emerald Coast Interview Consulting (ECIC) for interview prep,
and Checked and Set for app review.

You can't get any more prepared than that.... YMMV

Chillpill
01-10-2018, 05:01 PM
I was thinking Skywest. How deep do questions get in general? Do they expect PhD level answers?

Chillpill
01-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks Bennett.

Sliceback
01-10-2018, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't spend time on Aero for Naval Aviators. It was written in 1959 and, IMO, has been surpassed by better books.

Ace the technical pilot interview - Gary V. Bristow 2002 book

Airline Pilot interviews - Irv Jasinski 2002 book

Farther down the list -

Fly the Wing - Jim Webb and Billy Walker 1971. Third edition 2004

Airman's Information Manual

Go to 'will fly for food' and read the questions others were asked in their interviews. That's a good place to understand what you might be asked and a way for you to start getting your head into preparing for answers you'd give. I'd recommend making index cards with the questions and your answers. Quick, and easy, way to review.

Gundriver64
01-11-2018, 02:49 AM
If you can get someone to provide a copy of the OPSPECs of the airline that you are shooting for that would be good too. Lot's of good stuff to look over there (3585 exemption, takeoff/landing minima derivation, equipment specific stuff, performance, WX, etc., etc.). Obviously, I am speaking of the technical side of things. Some airline interviews aren't technical at all.

Cheers,
G

Hacker15e
01-11-2018, 03:10 AM
I was thinking Skywest. How deep do questions get in general? Do they expect PhD level answers?

Recommend you check out aviationinterviews.com, and you'll be quite enlightened on this subject.

Expect to need to study Lengel's "Everything Explained" as has been recommended, as well as Jeppesen's in-depth key for their approach charts, as there will be a "what does this mean?" quiz on the parts of a Jepp.

rickair7777
01-11-2018, 05:23 AM

Not phd level. General instrument ops, jepps, possible questions from the ATP database.

They may ask questions about your current airplane (yes someone who flew your airplane will be present, or will have been consulted).

If they stump you, it's not to test your knowledge but rather your personality. Don't lose your cool, that's the only way a mil pilot would fail at SKW.

155mm
01-11-2018, 06:27 AM
http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/business/ifr-paper-services/glossary-legends.pdf

I like Irv Jasinsky's book as well! Just some common sense interview guidance:
https://www.amazon.com/Airline-Pilot-Interviews-Succeed-Getting/dp/0942195019/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515684499&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=irv+jasinsky

PurpleToolBox
01-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks Bennett.

Been through several airline interviews, some which were technical. Here's the extent of what I've been asked. And no one company asked all of these, just some of these.

Answer in Domestic FAA or FARs criteria, not USAF 11-217 crap.
If you know the answers to these questions, you're good to go for any technical questions -- IN MY EXPERIENCE. Consult your local interview prep.
Be more worried about Tell Me About A Time questions.
=========================================

What is the minimum airport facilities required for flight operations?

When do you need a destination alternate?

When is destination weather considered marginal?

When is an additional destination alternate required?

What are the alternate airport IFR weather minimums? (one navaid two navaids)

What are the standard takeoff minimums (2-engine or less, 3 or more engines)

When is a takeoff alternate required?

What are takeoff alternate requirements? (Single-engine; 3 or more engines)

Basic domestic fuel requirements (enough fuel to fly to destination, then most distant alternate, and then 45 minutes of cruise fuel). You *may* see this in a holding question. For example, when do you need to leave holding to land legally at your alternate (ie ... landing with 45 minutes of fuel left) given all types of engine data and time/distance information.

Anything and everything about holding. (what heading would you turn to as you enter holding as depicted), speeds with various altitudes (FAA only, no ICAO) etc.etc.)

Oxygen rules

When would you descend questions ... use 3to1 rule or 3 times your altitude to lose. (need to lose 10,000ft, you need 30 miles).

Airport and runway markings and signage (If I showed you this picture, are you on the active runway or holding short of?)

Jeppensen 10-9 and 10-9A pages . Specifically, what is the minimum weather or equipment required for a specific runway ... hint, its on the 10-9A page.

Max Speed below Class B airspace

Visual Approach Weather Requirements

When are aircraft restricted from the ILS critical area?

Definition of V1, V2, VR, Vmca, Vmcg

Basic aircraft nomenclature ... wing, elevator, fuselage, empennage, ailerons, etc.etc.

Trim tabs move opposite or in same direction as primary flight controls?

Be able to look at IFR maps or sectionals and determine minimal altitudes, etcetc.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1