Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Louisville base

minivan
01-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I've seen the news of an SDF base for Mesa in February 2018. I'm weighing the options of home basing at SDF versus an AA wholly-owned with a commute. Is SDF primarily one airframe or another or is it a mix? Thoughts, opinions, rebukes, rebuttals? I'm aware that most people hate these kinds of threads... :cool:

Thanks!

chrisreedrules
01-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Go to the WO. Commuting isn’t that bad, especially out of SDF which has a ton of flights to the hubs. Better pay, better opportunities, etc. True story, just ran into a new hire here at PSA who was a CA at Mesa before coming here. I wonder why Captains from Mesa are making moves to other regionals if it’s so good at Mesa? Captains from the WOs are moving up to legacies.

No Land 3
01-12-2018, 07:25 PM
You will discover that SDF will be a short term base, no one thought CLT would close, and DFW is shrinking. When they opened DFW, the talk was 1000 pilots at DFW. Both CLT and apparently DFW, the trolls from PSA and Envoy were actually telling the truth. People had just closed on buying new homes around CLT only to find out two weeks later it was going away. Senior CA’s quit, FO’s left for PSA, others became commuters to IAD and DFW.
Go to a WO like Chris suggests.

ChickenChicken
01-13-2018, 04:48 AM
It's possible Louisville and Atlanta are opening simply to entice new hires from that region since the majority of the current bases are west of the Mississippi...AA isn't increasing flying out of Louisville and UA could care less about Atlanta.. It's a marketing ploy

MagPBS
01-13-2018, 05:22 AM
You will discover that SDF will be a short term base, no one thought CLT would close, and DFW is shrinking. When they opened DFW, the talk was 1000 pilots at DFW. Both CLT and apparently DFW, the trolls from PSA and Envoy were actually telling the truth. People had just closed on buying new homes around CLT only to find out two weeks later it was going away. Senior CA’s quit, FO’s left for PSA, others became commuters to IAD and DFW.
Go to a WO like Chris suggests.

DFW is only “shrinking” because sdf opened. The block hours had to come from somewhere. So no the “trolls” still are not right. And neither are you.

No Land 3
01-13-2018, 11:14 AM
DFW is only “shrinking” because sdf opened. The block hours had to come from somewhere. So no the “trolls” still are not right. And neither are you.

They were right about CLT, and B terminal is a sad cry from when I was there.

avi8tor614
01-13-2018, 12:51 PM
I've seen the news of an SDF base for Mesa in February 2018. I'm weighing the options of home basing at SDF versus an AA wholly-owned with a commute. Is SDF primarily one airframe or another or is it a mix? Thoughts, opinions, rebukes, rebuttals? I'm aware that most people hate these kinds of threads... :cool:

Thanks!

Personal decision is your best option. First of all no regional base is safe forever. Once you get that in your psyche, you've taken the first step in the regionals. Whether its a ploy, stunt, or whatever. Bases come and go. If you own a home in SDF and WANT to be home DO IT. Commuting gets old period. WO's may have it better contractually right now hats off to them, but your flow time at PSA is 6 years good friend of mine is there right now, I don't know what Envoys is. Don't let anyone on these forums dictate your future. Some regional have great deals right now; flow, money, work rules ect. Key word "right now" my friend went PSA for money right now and FLOW in couple YEARs That works for my friend. For me it does not, I have seniority, easy commute, and I apply every where I'm and i am not locked into one system. Had few interviews with other major airlines as well. Mesa is ok. NOT best but not bad. QOL is important to me. I manage on what do here with a a well balanced home life. Some people are about FLOW and money. You have to pick and honestly that's the difference between regionals. Money, Flow, QOL and opportunity. It's all about rolling the dice. PSA on top today bottom tomorrow, who knows. Mesa well.... it's Mesa. There are opportunities here just like anywhere. Grass isnt always greener. I laid my own seed and I'm watching it grow. May not be that green to others but it's an OK green for me. That's all that matters

frankgh
01-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Personal decision is your best option. First of all no regional base is safe forever. Once you get that in your psyche, you've taken the first step in the regionals. Whether its a ploy, stunt, or whatever. Bases come and go. If you own a home in SDF and WANT to be home DO IT. Commuting gets old period. WO's may have it better contractually right now hats off to them, but your flow time at PSA is 6 years good friend of mine is there right now, I don't know what Envoys is. Don't let anyone on these forums dictate your future. Some regional have great deals right now; flow, money, work rules ect. Key word "right now" my friend went PSA for money right now and FLOW in couple YEARs That works for my friend. For me it does not, I have seniority, easy commute, and I apply every where I'm and i am not locked into one system. Had few interviews with other major airlines as well. Mesa is ok. NOT best but not bad. QOL is important to me. I manage on what do here with a a well balanced home life. Some people are about FLOW and money. You have to pick and honestly that's the difference between regionals. Money, Flow, QOL and opportunity. It's all about rolling the dice. PSA on top today bottom tomorrow, who knows. Mesa well.... it's Mesa. There are opportunities here just like anywhere. Grass isnt always greener. I laid my own seed and I'm watching it grow. May not be that green to others but it's an OK green for me. That's all that matters

This guy gets it!

minivan
01-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Well I guess they've had a maintenance operation at SDF for some time now. So realistically, if they open a crew base in February 2018, when is the soonest anyone here could fathom them closing the base? What does the history of other bases show?

I don't doubt anybody's input here and I'm grateful for all of the feedback.

mjpilot
01-13-2018, 08:52 PM

Well said, I am in a similar boat.

Jungedrache
01-14-2018, 05:36 AM

Finally an unbiased direct and truthful opinion posted in this forum. That’s exactly what it is...

For some people is about the money, for other people is about quality of life, for others is upgrade times... we all have our reasons to be or not to be here.

minivan
01-14-2018, 05:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, any anecdotal stories of Captains moving on to American Airlines prior to 6 years? Is there a carrier that Mesa guys typically move on to after Mesa?

Navmode
01-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, any anecdotal stories of Captains moving on to American Airlines prior to 6 years? Is there a carrier that Mesa guys typically move on to after Mesa?

Spirit

Filler

calmwinds
01-14-2018, 12:37 PM

I have flown mostly with guys moving to Spirit and Southwest in the past few months.

I also know CA’s that have moved on to Delta, United, Alaska, and FedEx recently.

Some folks aren’t qualified to move on to the majors or don’t work to make it happen. Others work hard to make it happen and end up moving on.

No Land 3
01-18-2018, 02:40 AM
There’s quite a few ex Mesa people at K4.

minivan
01-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Appreciate the replies. What's the upgrade time at Mesa right now?

calmwinds
01-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Appreciate the replies. What's the upgrade time at Mesa right now?

Which airplane? Which base?

minivan
01-21-2018, 01:07 AM
If you know approximates for all scenarios, that would be appreciated. I would probably do CRJ since I have a little bit of previous experience in it, but honestly, it's not a big deal which airframe for me. I'm interested in SDF as a base but since that base is not open yet it's probably hard to have numbers for it?

calmwinds
01-21-2018, 03:54 AM
If you know approximates for all scenarios, that would be appreciated. I would probably do CRJ since I have a little bit of previous experience in it, but honestly, it's not a big deal which airframe for me. I'm interested in SDF as a base but since that base is not open yet it's probably hard to have numbers for it?

We didn’t upgrade anyone on the CRJ last month. The month before it was an 8 month upgrade. I think they were placed in IAD. The commute to IAD isn’t bad until you can get back to SDF. DFW seems most senior right now.

Until the assignments for SDF are finalized, no one really knows with certainty how junior or senior it will go. It may go senior for commuters in the area and the limited number of seats.

The Ejet is about a 22 month upgrade in IAH. I am guessing ATL will go senior because of commuters. Once that base is up and running, everything will realign. ATL will replace some of our UAX maintenance runs into ELP or OKC.

20sx
01-21-2018, 07:50 AM
I feel like this must be wrong, but I see the junior SDF captain with a line having been hired last March!

calmwinds
01-21-2018, 08:01 AM
I feel like this must be wrong, but I see the junior SDF captain with a line having been hired last March!

Yep, he was the 8 month upgrade. As close to a street CA as you can get.

Sennant
01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Yep, he was the 8 month upgrade. As close to a street CA as you can get.

Has more to do with no one bidding sdf then a true indication of ca upgrade time.

calmwinds
01-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Has more to do with no one bidding sdf then a true indication of ca upgrade time.

Especially since we had zero CRJ upgrades this month.... not sure why anyone comes here on the CRJ except for a specific base. Some other regionals are doing nearly street CA’s on the CRJ.

20sx
01-22-2018, 08:21 AM

That's the way undesirable bases go. IAD used to have a very quick upgrade because no one wanted it.

No Land 3
01-22-2018, 08:10 PM
That's the way undesirable bases go. IAD used to have a very quick upgrade because no one wanted it.
As far as being a CRJ CA, every base is senior. Boggles the mind why Mesa has such a top heavy seniority list. It’s as if an artificial influence is making it so.

minivan
02-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Told by pilot recruiter that SDF is to be 2-3 airframes (guessing CRJ) so 10-15 crews.

Sound right to anybody at Mesa?

MagPBS
02-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Told by pilot recruiter that SDF is to be 2-3 airframes (guessing CRJ) so 10-15 crews.

Sound right to anybody at Mesa?

The goal is around 10 lines, yes.