Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : After Interview......

Pilot145
01-19-2018, 03:45 AM
Curious to know if certain phases of the interview process hold more weight than others? Do in-house recommendations, letters of rec, LOI, etc., hold more weight in their decision? Loved the whole process, but after you can second guess yourself. Wish I had said more during during LOI debrief.

Jeff Lebowski
01-19-2018, 04:31 AM
Curious to know if certain phases of the interview process hold more weight than others? Do in-house recommendations, letters of rec, LOI, etc., hold more weight in their decision? Loved the whole process, but after you can second guess yourself. Wish I had said more during during LOI debrief.

You, in the flesh, hold more weight than all the letters of rec in the world put together. They called you in because they legitimately wanted to hire you; it was up to you to convince them otherwise. But you already knew that.

The fact that you even have doubts is probably a good sign. It means you more than likely didn't come across as a conceited, self-important tool. The process seems to do a remarkable job of identifying and filtering out that type of personality.

LunchMoney
01-19-2018, 04:31 AM
same here brother!

tm602
01-19-2018, 06:00 AM

Which window were you called from?

Typhoondiver
01-19-2018, 06:44 AM
You, in the flesh, hold more weight than all the letters of rec in the world put together. They called you in because they legitimately wanted to hire you; it was up to you to convince them otherwise. But you already knew that.

The fact that you even have doubts is probably a good sign. It means you more than likely didn't come across as a conceited, self-important tool. The process seems to do a remarkable job of identifying and filtering out that type of personality.
I heard from somebody who knows somebody...
Interviewees may end up in three buckets. Bucket 1 is must hire. Bucket 2 is may hire. Bucket 3 is no hire. The interview weighs heavily in deciding which bucket you end up in. The LORs can really help to balance out one weak part (of three) of the interview day. If all three parts are weak (fail) even LORs won’t be able to make up for that. Thus LORs make no difference until you actually interview.
As Jeff mentioned, you doubting yourself, is a good sign. It means you are not Mr. Perfect. Rather you are striving for perfection, but will never get there. After 25 years I am still working on that perfect flight.
References should be called within two weeks. If that does not happen within the next two weeks, it may be time to get concerned. Until then try to relax (which is really hard).
Good Luck!

Blackhawk
01-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Same boat man. I think I did well on LOI and log book, but doubting myself on the HR portion. I don’t think I messed it up, but could have given some better answers.

Pilot145
01-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I appreciate it. I really want to finish my career at Southwest. We'll see what happens??

Pilot145
01-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Waiting on the DB can make you a bit anxious!! Anyone else waiting?

I was sent a personal email about them starting my background checks, etc., and one of my references has been checked, that I know of anyway. Pray these are all good signs. Has anyone only had one reference called and been hired?

at6d
01-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Background checks/ref calls in progress is always a good sign.

TheBlueBaron
01-26-2018, 01:41 PM

I was sent a personal email about them starting my background checks, etc., and one of my references has been checked, that I know of anyway. Pray these are all good signs. Has anyone only had one reference called and been hired?

I had 2 called and got the job.

French3Holer
01-26-2018, 04:28 PM
They only check your employment for the last 5 years and will call some of your references within the company. I had 7 reference letters and 3 were called.

Skyward
01-26-2018, 07:09 PM

Good signs so far. Once a decision has been made to hire you, a new tab called “preflight Study” will appear in your PilotCredentials.

Good luck!

Dukeuno
01-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Same boat man. I think I did well on LOI and log book, but doubting myself on the HR portion. I don’t think I messed it up, but could have given some better answers.
I am in the same boat. I just interviewed this week, felt great on the logbook and LOI, but the HR was not as easy to read. I answered the questions truthfully, but wish on some of them that I would have gone into more detail. The LOI 7 minutes was the fastest 7 min in my life, but now waiting 2 weeks for the board to meet will be the longest two weeks. Lol:)

Pilot145
01-31-2018, 06:53 AM
DB is supposed to be today. Let us know if you hear anything. Good luck everyone!

2strokin
01-31-2018, 09:21 AM
I interviewed two weeks ago. My Decision board is today. I received the background check email a few days after the interview and had 3 references called.

I thought the logbook review and 7 min drill went well. The HR portion was a tougher read. Like others have stated here, I think it went okay but definitely far from perfect.

Blackhawk
01-31-2018, 10:08 AM
Just sitting around.

Pilot145
01-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Just got the call. Super excited!

2strokin
01-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Congrats!

I just got the call myself! Very exciting!

CA1900
01-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Congratulations, guys -- welcome!

Dukeuno
01-31-2018, 04:00 PM

Congrats! Did they give they tell you when to expect a class date. ( My DB meets next week, will be the longest 7 days of my life .:)

Cuervo9606
01-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Welcome aboard! You're going to have a great time.

Jeff Lebowski
02-01-2018, 05:50 AM

Congrats and welcome aboard.

at6d
02-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Welcome and congrats!

Pilot145
02-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Congrats! Did they give they tell you when to expect a class date. ( My DB meets next week, will be the longest 7 days of my life .:)

When CP called he said most likely Mid to late March. He said I should get an email with a link to schedule class. I haven't seen that yet. Good Luck next week!

Dukeuno
02-01-2018, 08:16 AM
When CP called he said most likely Mid to late March. He said I should get an email with a link to schedule class. I haven't seen that yet. Good Luck next week!

Thanks, and congrats again,!

Bestshooter
02-03-2018, 11:35 AM
What were your guys flight times to get the interview ?

Dukeuno
02-03-2018, 08:43 PM

TT 10,500
TPIC 5800
EMB 145 and A320 Type
Bachelor Degree
Not a Check Airman
Most of my time is 121

THEKERNALKLINK
02-03-2018, 11:22 PM

This is going back a LONG LONG time mind you, but I was told that virtually everyone they invited in for the interview was hired, unless the invitees convinced them otherwise. So if you're given the chance, I'd feel really good about it. Go in there with the spirit of a warrior, and the heart of a servant, and you'll move on to the next level.

RJSAviator76
02-05-2018, 05:47 AM
TT 10,500
TPIC 5800
EMB 145 and A320 Type
Bachelor Degree
Not a Check Airman
Most of my time is 121

Dukeuno, why leave Spirit?

Pilot145
02-05-2018, 06:32 AM

TT 17,000+
TPIC 16,000+
EMB 145 Type
Bachelor Degree
Check Airman
Almost all 121
Volunteer work

EasyB
02-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Did you schedule your class? What dates were available? What was your availability date? Have a friend applying, but doesn't have her availability date until June 1. Thanks!

Dukeuno
02-08-2018, 04:45 PM
Well got the call yesterday for CJO!!! Then got an email for class dates today, looks like March 13th for me. I am stoked!:)

CA1900
02-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Well got the call yesterday for CJO!!! Then got an email for class dates today, looks like March 13th for me. I am stoked!:)

Congratulations, that's awesome!

SGRogue
02-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Congrats. That is a quick turn to a class.

Squallrider
02-22-2018, 05:03 AM
So the experience has been about a month to two months for class?

2strokin
02-22-2018, 05:56 AM
So the experience has been about a month to two months for class?

Initially it was going to be about 6 weeks for me from CJO to class. Ended up getting bumped up to a class 2 weeks earlier.

luvflying
02-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Currently waiting for my DB to meet. Question for those who have been through this previously...

I have not received an email stating that background checks/employment verification are going to be completed, similar to what others have posted. However, I do know that my references have been called. Just curious if anyone else had a similar scenario of not receiving the background check email but having references called.

Thanks.

Liberty
02-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Currently waiting for my DB to meet. Question for those who have been through this previously...

I have not received an email stating that background checks/employment verification are going to be completed, similar to what others have posted. However, I do know that my references have been called. Just curious if anyone else had a similar scenario of not receiving the background check email but having references called.

Thanks.

My background check was complete weeks after the DB and job offer.

Dukeuno
02-28-2018, 07:14 PM

Thanks.
I had the same scenario, all the others were getting emails but i did not. Then I got a call to go drug test, about 8 or 9 days after I interviewed. I got hired as well. So if your references are getting called you are still in the game. Goof luck.

at6d
02-28-2018, 10:18 PM
Refs called is always a good sign.

RJSAviator76
03-01-2018, 04:57 AM
I had the same scenario, all the others were getting emails but i did not. Then I got a call to go drug test, about 8 or 9 days after I interviewed. I got hired as well. So if your references are getting called you are still in the game. Goof luck.

Are you still coming here after signing the new contract at Spirit? I can totally understand leaving Spirit before the contract, but why would one leave now? I'm just curious, and it also might be helpful to others wondering about making the same or similar jump. You wouldn't be the only one... a good buddy of mine made a jump from Alaska too, and a couple of others from JetBlue.

In any case, if you are indeed still coming to Southwest, welcome aboard!

FlyingPirate
03-01-2018, 06:29 AM
Are you still coming here after signing the new contract at Spirit? I can totally understand leaving Spirit before the contract, but why would one leave now? I'm just curious, and it also might be helpful to others wondering about making the same or similar jump. You wouldn't be the only one... a good buddy of mine made a jump from Alaska too, and a couple of others from JetBlue.

This is a great question for those considering the jump. I have a buddy who is a 3 year FO at Spirit and will, most likely upgrade this summer. He ran a comparison between SWA and Spirit's new contract. It would take him almost 10 years to make up the difference in pay (including retirement and profit sharing) if he came to SWA. After that with a 30+ year career he would come out over $2 million more coming to SWA, if all else stays the same. SWA has a proven business model in both good and bad times, Spirit does not yet have a long term record to really see if their business model will last the next 3 decades. I'd say if you are under 40 take a good hard look at the LONG term potential at each place before making a jump.

luvflying
03-01-2018, 06:40 AM

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!

Dukeuno
03-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Yea man I am still coming. There are a lot of factors, but a few of them and not in any order of preference:

1. I grew up in a SWA family ( so I have always wanted to work for SWA). I know SWA is not the SWA of the 80s, but it is still the best airline by far to work for as far as management and culture.

2. I live in the Dallas area, I will never have to commute for ever again ( I know for a few months at the begging) unless I want to commute. That is not a guarantee at Spirt.

3. I am about a year from upgrade at Spirit, which upgrade is never a guarantee. With the new CBA and the current contract at SWA I will still make more than I would at Spirit ( I ran the numbers and used 11 years for upgrade at SWA and 100 trip credit a month. Spirit I used 85 hrs and upgrading in a year).

4. SWA is a more stable company. In my opinion SWA has way better work rules and QOL. Now Spirit does have great Crews to work with but so does SWA.

Now this is why I chose SWA over Spirit, it might not work for everyone, but I am excited to join the SWA family. :)

slimothy
03-01-2018, 07:42 PM
Yea man I am still coming. There are a lot of factors, but a few of them and not in any order of preference:

1. I grew up in a SWA family ( so I have always wanted to work for SWA). I know SWA is not the SWA of the 80s, but it is still the best airline by far to work for as far as management and culture.

2. I live in the Dallas area, I will never have to commute for ever again ( I know for a few months at the begging) unless I want to commute. That is not a guarantee at Spirt.

3. I am about a year from upgrade at Spirit, which upgrade is never a guarantee. With the new CBA and the current contract at SWA I will still make more than I would at Spirit ( I ran the numbers and used 11 years for upgrade at SWA and 100 trip credit a month. Spirit I used 85 hrs and upgrading in a year).

4. SWA is a more stable company. In my opinion SWA has way better work rules and QOL. Now Spirit does have great Crews to work with but so does SWA.

Now this is why I chose SWA over Spirit, it might not work for everyone, but I am excited to join the SWA family. :)

When’s your class date? I start in the 27th, leaving JetBlue after 2 years.

Dukeuno
03-01-2018, 07:57 PM
When’s your class date? I start in the 27th, leaving JetBlue after 2 years.

I start March 13th.

slimothy
03-01-2018, 09:40 PM
I start March 13th.

Congrats, I’ll see you a few weeks later. I look forward to trying to uncover your true identity!

RJSAviator76
03-02-2018, 02:57 AM

If you live in base, you'll be able to make a killing here. I also don't think it'll take you anywhere close to 11 years to upgrade barring a major economic downturn, but it's good that you planned it that way. Also, 100 TFP per month, only if you choose to not pick up any extra work, or don't get rerouted or JA'd. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

One really nice thing that you'll get here that Spirit pilots didn't get in this contract is profit sharing. For last year, we get 11.3% of our eligible 2017 wages in profit share. Considering that at Southwest, PS is also a qualified retirement plan, it's subject to the IRS 415c limits along with your 401k, so if you hustle, PS can be that extra push to make you reach those limits. I reached it as a second-year FO for 2017, and I'm getting a little over 6k in excess payment this month. As I said, it REALLY pays to live in base and picking up some extra work.

You're right, it's not Herb's airline anymore, but the culture among the front line employees is still there for the most part. All in all, pros definitely outnumber the cons, and living in Dallas and driving to work, you'll absolutely love it here.

Welcome aboard!

luvflying
03-02-2018, 03:47 AM

Any thoughts if references get called but no drug test (DB is next week)? I've heard that some received a CJO without a drug test, but have not confirmed if this is correct.

Thanks!

Squallrider
03-02-2018, 05:11 AM
What’s the recent wait time from interview to class?

slimothy
03-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Feb 7 interview, job offer came Feb 21, a few days later March 20 and 27 classes were offered, 20th filled up quick, so I’m in the 27th.

Twinjetav8r
03-03-2018, 06:14 AM
Any thoughts if references get called but no drug test (DB is next week)? I've heard that some received a CJO without a drug test, but have not confirmed if this is correct.

Thanks!

I didn’t do my drug test until two days after my DB back in August.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2strokin
03-03-2018, 06:31 AM

Thanks!

I didn’t do my drug test until after I had a class date.

moflyer
03-03-2018, 08:15 AM

I was right at a month back in November, you can ask to be put in an earlier class.

EngineOut
03-03-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanks!

Same here: no drug test until 8 days after DB job offer.

EngineOut
03-03-2018, 09:21 AM

3 months for me, but it was over the holidays with reduced class dates.

Squallrider
03-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Seems like 1-3 months is the consensus. I know hiring is up, but don’t classes usually slow in summer? Or maybe it’s a different summer with new sims up

Proximity
03-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Seems like 1-3 months is the consensus. I know hiring is up, but don’t classes usually slow in summer? Or maybe it’s a different summer with new sims up

https://i.imgur.com/bUIhoKo.png

Slowing down at little 2nd half of 2018.

slimothy
03-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Same here: no drug test until 8 days after DB job offer.

I was asked to do the drug screening after I got my class date.

Zard
03-04-2018, 10:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/bUIhoKo.png

Slowing down at little 2nd half of 2018.

Is the Decision board always the 18th?

Skyward
03-04-2018, 11:03 AM

I think the 18 in that chart references monthly classes in 2018.

TransWorld
03-04-2018, 11:07 AM

I have heard next year it will be the 19th. The following year it will be held on the 20th. At least that is the skuttlebutt on the street. :D

Zard
03-04-2018, 01:58 PM
I have heard next year it will be the 19th. The following year it will be held on the 20th. At least that is the skuttlebutt on the street. :D

I hate you and I don't even know you. :D

That was a dumb question and I deserved to be mocked. Back to practicing my "Why SWA" spiel.

xkpilot
03-10-2018, 06:15 AM
HIRED!
Feb 19th Interview
March 7th Decision Board
March 27th class date
(Other class date offered was April 10)
13600TT
7200 Turbine PIC
Part 121/135/91 Background

01WJ
03-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Congrats. Welcome!

Squallrider
03-10-2018, 11:20 AM
HIRED!
Feb 19th Interview
March 7th Decision Board
March 27th class date
(Other class date offered was April 10)
13600TT
7200 Turbine PIC
Part 121/135/91 Background

Congrats. What TMAAT did they ask you? Trying to think of my war stories ha. 2
Weeks waiting is going to be ouch

xkpilot
03-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks much!

xkpilot
03-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Congrats. What TMAAT did they ask you? Trying to think of my war stories ha. 2
Weeks waiting is going to be ouch

They pretty much asked questions that have been making the rounds:
-My aviation BIO
-A time you went above and beyond for a customer
-A breakdown in CRM among other crew members that you had to mediate as PIC
-A CRM issue with another pilot
-A time you had to take the controls away from another pilot
-Why SWA
-Your worst flight
-Two things your fellow co-captains and/or CP would say you could improve on (I fly corporate where we are all Captains and we rotate PIC/SIC duties on trips)
-What makes a good F/O
-What if you observed a SWA CA conduct and unstable approach
-Upgrade is 10 years now, likely to drop but if it stays at 10 years are you OK with that? (I am 51)

Squallrider
03-11-2018, 03:43 PM
They pretty much asked questions that have been making the rounds:
-My aviation BIO
-A time you went above and beyond for a customer
-A breakdown in CRM among other crew members that you had to mediate as PIC
-A CRM issue with another pilot
-A time you had to take the controls away from another pilot
-Why SWA
-Your worst flight
-Two things your fellow co-captains and/or CP would say you could improve on (I fly corporate where we are all Captains and we rotate PIC/SIC duties on trips)
-What makes a good F/O
-What if you observed a SWA CA conduct and unstable approach
-Upgrade is 10 years now, likely to drop but if it stays at 10 years are you OK with that? (I am 51)

Thanks! That’s helpful !

at6d
03-11-2018, 04:32 PM
I had a bunch of stories lined up and wasn’t asked a single one! I felt cheated! ;)

Warhawg01
03-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Yea. If you were asked all those questions across all three panels, your interview was way harder than mine. I got about three of those total, and the easy ones at that. The rest was shooting the breeze.

Dukeuno
03-11-2018, 06:15 PM
I had a bunch of stories lined up and wasn’t asked a single one! I felt cheated! ;)

Lol, when they asked if I had any other questions, I wanted to say no but I have a great story for a scenario that you forgot to ask me. :)

Squallrider
03-11-2018, 07:29 PM
I interview the 20th, any ideas when the DB will meet next? Seems like every week or two?

xkpilot
03-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Yea. If you were asked all those questions across all three panels, your interview was way harder than mine. I got about three of those total, and the easy ones at that. The rest was shooting the breeze.

That was just the HR portion questions
The LOI questions were:
-Where are you working now?
-Where were you before that?
-What would you bring to SWA?
The Logbook review questions were: (review only took 5 min so lots of time for questions)
-Tell me about a mechanical issue that caused a divert
-Why SWA
-What makes a good CA
-What would you bring to SWA

Barracudaking
03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
I interviewed last week and during the log book portion I was asked what is your combined PIC turbine and Jet. I did the calculation and forgot to add one log book on the table, I know.... My SWA Pilotcredentials say I have 5310 Hrs Which is correct and I said during the interview 4775 hours PIC Turbine and Jet. Would you guys email SWA about the error or just see what happens?

I have been shooting both of my feet.

Squallrider
03-13-2018, 01:22 PM
I interviewed last week and during the log book portion I was asked what is your combined PIC turbine and Jet. I did the calculation and forgot to add one log book on the table, I know.... My SWA Pilotcredentials say I have 5310 Hrs Which is correct and I said during the interview 4775 hours PIC Turbine and Jet. Would you guys email SWA about the error or just see what happens?

It couldn’t hurt. You have more than what is required if they ask for proof just scan and send in my opinion. It’s not like you withheld a deal breaker.

Squallrider
03-13-2018, 01:24 PM

What tmaat questions did you get asked? Anything different in Logbook? I’ve heard they are doing progressive emergencies like fumes then later fire

01WJ
03-13-2018, 03:02 PM

I kind of doubt they would even give it a second thought to be honest. If it was like 1010 PIC on your Pilot Credentials and you told them you had 980 I think they might dig deeper. Did they even make note that you told them you had 4775 hours during the interview?

Squallrider
03-13-2018, 03:11 PM
I kind of doubt they would even give it a second thought to be honest. If it was like 1010 PIC on your Pilot Credentials and you told them you had 980 I think they might dig deeper. Did they even make note that you told them you had 4775 hours during the interview?

I agree, if you were trying to falsify a requirement or hiding something that’s a negative such as a check ride they’d care. I added a address that I didn’t have on my app because in the paperwork they sent after the fact they asked for permanent and temporary addresses.

howardhughes8
03-13-2018, 05:01 PM
I agree, if you were trying to falsify a requirement or hiding something that’s a negative such as a check ride they’d care. I added a address that I didn’t have on my app because in the paperwork they sent after the fact they asked for permanent and temporary addresses.

Disagree. I have over 8k hours, 5k+ TPIC, my logbook was not all that well tabulated when I interviewed 2 years ago, and I definitely think it was not good. You need ALL three groups (LOI, Interview and logbook review) to recommend to board. If ANY of the 3 give thumbs down, you are pretty much toast. So tidy up your logbook, pay attention, neat, and make sure everything adds up correctly.

Squallrider
03-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Disagree. I have over 8k hours, 5k+ TPIC, my logbook was not all that well tabulated when I interviewed 2 years ago, and I definitely think it was not good. You need ALL three groups (LOI, Interview and logbook review) to recommend to board. If ANY of the 3 give thumbs down, you are pretty much toast. So tidy up your logbook, pay attention, neat, and make sure everything adds up correctly.
He has the hours tho, if it’s a question of integrity it can be proven. I always feel it’s better to get ahead of something

Dukeuno
03-15-2018, 08:25 PM

This is not true. You need 2 out of the 3 to get to the board. Now if you go in and outright lie on the part that you did not do well in, then yes you are toast. For example you can do well on the Logbook, and HR, but maybe bomb the LOI and you will still get the green light to go to the background check. Now you might be on the fence as someone they might hire, and need some good background letter to help you get the yes. But it is not a death penalty if you bomb one part of the interview, but knock the other two parts out of the park.

Barracudaking
03-15-2018, 11:10 PM
They did make note of the 4775 hrs, but they where using the numbers to fill in other boxes on their standard form. Side note its been 8 days and no back ground checks. The DB meets March 22, fingers crossed.

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 04:44 AM
They did make note of the 4775 hrs, but they where using the numbers to fill in other boxes on their standard form. Side note its been 8 days and no back ground checks. The DB meets March 22, fingers crossed.

I’ve heard not everyone gets the email for BC and still get the job so don’t jump yet

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 04:57 AM
This is not true. You need 2 out of the 3 to get to the board. Now if you go in and outright lie on the part that you did not do well in, then yes you are toast. For example you can do well on the Logbook, and HR, but maybe bomb the LOI and you will still get the green light to go to the background check. Now you might be on the fence as someone they might hire, and need some good background letter to help you get the yes. But it is not a death penalty if you bomb one part of the interview, but knock the other two parts out of the park.

How hard is it to mess up a logbook audit unless your hours are way off. Maybe it’s more the impression the recruiter has if you during that time..

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 04:58 AM

I interview the 20th...does that mean the DB will think about me on 22nd? Guessing not but that would be lucky...

dash8driver
03-16-2018, 05:20 AM
I interview the 20th...does that mean the DB will think about me on 22nd? Guessing not but that would be lucky...

Rocky should tell you for sure what day your DB will meet. Good luck on the interview! Stay relaxed and enjoy the day. It’s an experience you’ll always remember.

Dukeuno
03-16-2018, 01:37 PM
How hard is it to mess up a logbook audit unless your hours are way off. Maybe it’s more the impression the recruiter has if you during that time..
You would be surprised, I have a friend that does logbook interviews for SWA, and I have heard the stories about pilots coming not prepared for this part of the interview. This part of the interview they actually have a sheet that they have to fill out. So if you don't have that info for them, or cant find it then it will not be a part of the interview that goes to well for the interviewee. If you prepare properly ( I suggest using aviationinterviews.com, they have all the gouges on what to expect) then this should be a softball part of the interview.

On your other question about the interview DB, your DB will be about 2 weeks from the week you interview. It is usually on a Wed, you will not make the DB on March 22nd if you are interviewing on March 20th. They want to get all your background info done, ie call references, check to make sure your work history is correct, etc. before your board meets. So i would expect your DB to meet around April 4th, but they will actually let you know at the interview when you DB is meeting. Good luck on the interview. :)

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 03:59 PM
You would be surprised, I have a friend that does logbook interviews for SWA, and I have heard the stories about pilots coming not prepared for this part of the interview. This part of the interview they actually have a sheet that they have to fill out. So if you don't have that info for them, or cant find it then it will not be a part of the interview that goes to well for the interviewee. If you prepare properly ( I suggest using aviationinterviews.com, they have all the gouges on what to expect) then this should be a softball part of the interview.

On your other question about the interview DB, your DB will be about 2 weeks from the week you interview. It is usually on a Wed, you will not make the DB on March 22nd if you are interviewing on March 20th. They want to get all your background info done, ie call references, check to make sure your work history is correct, etc. before your board meets. So i would expect your DB to meet around April 4th, but they will actually let you know at the interview when you DB is meeting. Good luck on the interview. :)

Thanks! I’m nervously looking forward to it...as is my wife...so I’ll stop talking about it... lll

Fgrosoli
03-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks! I’m nervously looking forward to it...as is my wife...so I’ll stop talking about it... lll

Same for me, my wife is looking forward for the interview so she won’t have to see me keep talking about it.... I’m super excited ... see you there !!!!

slimothy
03-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Same for me, my wife is looking forward for the interview so she won’t have to see me keep talking about it.... I’m super excited ... see you there !!!!

Then she’ll just have to deal with you obsessing about it for 2 weeks. That was my wife’s favorite part.

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 06:33 PM

Yea my wife went from being exited for me to rolling her eyes saying stop lol

Squallrider
03-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Then she’ll just have to deal with you obsessing about it for 2 weeks. That was my wife’s favorite part.

I think my wife’s worst fear is me worrying for two more weeks, she’d probably prefer me vomiting during the first part on the recruiter

slimothy
03-16-2018, 06:40 PM
I think my wife’s worst fear is me worrying for two more weeks, she’d probably prefer me vomiting during the first part on the recruiter

They endure so much.

at6d
03-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Folks, I know you are all nervous/excited/maybe a bit scared. There is a lot on the line!

FWIW, use that nervous energy to double check your prep work! Have all your paperwork in order. Have your times broken down. Update your resume! Have your letters ready. Think of your stories.

Look through your logbook and tab the important stuff—1000 PIC Turbine for example. Maybe type ratings. Remember some cool things (or not so cool) that you can use in discussion.

Think of it this way—the logbook is a way to double check that who you say you are reflects what’s logged, and they will have a talk about it.

Then, a few days before the interview...just stop and breathe. Enjoy a nice dinner with the family or significant others. They are excited and hopeful too. Hell, I’m excited for you!

If you have the invite, it’s because they want you to be there!

It’s hard to really be yourself in these situations...but that’s what they want to see—the real you.

Trust me—I walked out of there with more questions than when I walked in.

There will be plenty more time to worry about stuff. Try to focus on worrying about what you can control, and at this point, it’s prep.

Good luck!

Barracudaking
03-17-2018, 02:14 AM
I’ve heard not everyone gets the email for BC and still get the job so don’t jump yet

Thanks for the support. I will back away from the edge for now:rolleyes:

Squallrider
03-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the support. I will back away from the edge for now:rolleyes:

Keep us posted ha. What tmaat questions did they ask you?

flensr
03-17-2018, 10:34 PM
I think at least a couple people in my class did not get the drug test or other background screening until either after the DB, or very shortly beforehand. Not exactly sure what that means other than it's not an identical step by step process for everyone.

Fgrosoli
03-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Folks, I know you are all nervous/excited/maybe a bit scared. There is a lot on the line!

FWIW, use that nervous energy to double check your prep work! Have all your paperwork in order. Have your times broken down. Update your resume! Have your letters ready. Think of your stories.

Look through your logbook and tab the important stuff—1000 PIC Turbine for example. Maybe type ratings. Remember some cool things (or not so cool) that you can use in discussion.

Think of it this way—the logbook is a way to double check that who you say you are reflects what’s logged, and they will have a talk about it.

Then, a few days before the interview...just stop and breathe. Enjoy a nice dinner with the family or significant others. They are excited and hopeful too. Hell, I’m excited for you!

If you have the invite, it’s because they want you to be there!

It’s hard to really be yourself in these situations...but that’s what they want to see—the real you.

Trust me—I walked out of there with more questions than when I walked in.

There will be plenty more time to worry about stuff. Try to focus on worrying about what you can control, and at this point, it’s prep.

Good luck!
Thanks man, paperwork’s closed and today and tomorrow relaxxxxx

Barracudaking
03-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Keep us posted ha. What tmaat questions did they ask you?

I got the Thanks, but no thanks. Back ground.
Total Time……………..…..8900 PIC Turbine……….………..5072
Pilot-in-Command……..…..7887 PIC JET………………..….…300

AIRCRAFT FLOWN
Typed in Gulfstream G-IV, King Air 350 (BE300/350), Cessna Citation (CE650), Hawker 900XP

Chief Pilot, Checkairmen and so on.....

I dont think they hire many Part 135.

80emb145
03-21-2018, 04:26 PM
My interview group was four 121, two 135, and one 91. All got hired.

Keep your head up and keep trying. It’s worth it.

USMCF18
03-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Got the CJO call today, crazy excited to get started!

CA1900
03-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Got the CJO call today, crazy excited to get started!

Congratulations and welcome!

BarrySeal
03-21-2018, 06:56 PM

AIRCRAFT FLOWN
Typed in Gulfstream G-IV, King Air 350 (BE300/350), Cessna Citation (CE650), Hawker 900XP

Any speculation or guess as to what in your interview caused them to say no ? Reportedly if you get called to the interview, they "want" to hire you. So Part 135 or not, you got called. Just wondering if you had an idea or if they offered any sort of indication

thank you

slimothy
03-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Any speculation or guess as to what in your interview caused them to say no ? Reportedly if you get called to the interview, they "want" to hire you. So Part 135 or not, you got called. Just wondering if you had an idea or if they offered any sort of indication

thank you

If you get invited back in 12 months, I’d be prepared to answer that question. They asked me, I thought I blew it with my reply, but apparently not.

Squallrider
03-22-2018, 04:36 AM

AIRCRAFT FLOWN

Was pretty diverse group and Rocky said they make it so , they pair sim partners with people of a different background, like a military fighter with a 121.

How long after your interview did you get the news?

Barracudaking
03-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Was pretty diverse group and Rocky said they make it so , they pair sim partners with people of a different background, like a military fighter with a 121.

How long after your interview did you get the news?
Same time everyone else got called that they got the job.

Barracudaking
03-22-2018, 06:24 AM

thank you

I thought everything went well. Was very prepared. Wish I knew why I didn't get the job. Only thing I was lacking was internal letters.

Learflyer
03-22-2018, 08:49 AM

AIRCRAFT FLOWN

They hired at least 25-30 pilots from my 135.

at6d
03-22-2018, 09:18 AM

AIRCRAFT FLOWN

Was this a second interview?

Do you have the option to reapply?

Do you have a violation?

Squallrider
03-22-2018, 09:59 AM
So they are sending out CJO to everyone day after their interview, so that ,should they choose to ,they can initiate a background check. I submitted that yesterday and then today I got a letter from a prescreening specialist, good sign?

luvflying
03-22-2018, 10:05 AM
I thought everything went well. Was very prepared. Wish I knew why I didn't get the job. Only thing I was lacking was internal letters.

FWIW...I read your comment earlier about your PIC hours being off between Pilot Credentials and what was stated in the interview. Even though you had plenty of time over minimums, I have been told that any errors (other than a couple) will cause a red flag during the logbook portion...which will most likely prevent you from moving forward. Yes, it was an honest mistake of not including the other logbook, but the interviewer could view it as not being prepared and not knowing the location of all of your hours.

Reading intel from the various prep companies, many have shared similar stories from clients.

I'm very sorry to hear that things did not go well. Keep your head up and try next time...it's worth the wait.

Fly603
03-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Similar story here. It was hard to read how the interview went but I didn’t feel like I bombed it. I got the TBNT. I had one discrepancy in my PIC turbine from an earlier entry in pilot credentials which I fixed a few weeks before the interview. I was asked about the change and the explanation seemed well received. Maybe it wasn’t.

9500 TT
6000 Turbine
5000 PIC Turbine
400 Jet
Check Airman/ Instructor pilot
Mostly 135/91k
No 121 time
2 internal recs

Only 351 days left before I can reapply.

Congratulations to those who got the offer. It was a great group of people on both sides of the table.

Fgrosoli
03-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Received an email today from people department stating they have started my background check and they will get in touch if they need anything from me.... should be good news correct ???

slimothy
03-22-2018, 07:21 PM
Received an email today from people department stating they have started my background check and they will get in touch if they need anything from me.... should be good news correct ???

Yup, moving right along. Good luck!

BarrySeal
03-22-2018, 07:35 PM

did you have any letters, from anyone ? external or internal ?

BarrySeal
03-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Similar story here. It was hard to read how the interview went but I didn’t feel like I bombed it. I got the TBNT. I had one discrepancy in my PIC turbine from an earlier entry in pilot credentials which I fixed a few weeks before the interview. I was asked about the change and the explanation seemed well received. Maybe it wasn’t.

9500 TT
6000 Turbine
5000 PIC Turbine
400 Jet
Mostly 135/91k
No 121 time
2 internal recs

Congratulations to those who got the offer. It was a great group of people on both sides of the table.

Did you have any external letters ?

Lotsof Blue
03-22-2018, 07:41 PM

9500 TT
6000 Turbine
5000 PIC Turbine
400 Jet
Mostly 135/91k
No 121 time
2 internal recs

I didn't get it first try, 14 mos ago. Hoping to get a 2nd chance in the upcoming window.
12kTT
8500 Turbine
2400 TPIC
5200Jet
135/91 Frax; former regional
2 internals, 3 externals; 4y degree
I thought the interview went well, but got a TBNT. Not sure why. Thought I'd flubbed something in the HR part. Also wondered if having 3 internals would have helped. Who knows?

BarrySeal
03-22-2018, 07:47 PM
me wonders if SWA "requirements" are firm/non-negotiable. If you don't check all the boxes, you are DQ'ed

https://image.ibb.co/goabVH/SWA_REQUIREMENTS.png

Fgrosoli
03-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Yup, moving right along. Good luck!

Thank you Sir

Fly603
03-23-2018, 03:39 AM
Did you have any external letters ?

Yes. I brought 4 external letters as well.

20sx
03-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Do you think it’s purely a yes or no grade for each portion? I’d think it’d be more like a 10 point evaluation for each and then come up with a total point evaluation. But of course, I don’t do the interviews;)

Squallrider
03-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Anyone know which class they are filling right now? DN in 10 days and when I interviewed rocky said they’d give us at least two weeks notice

USMCF18
03-24-2018, 02:04 PM
I got the email yesterday for classes from a 3/21 Decision Board. One person from my interview group got the 10th, and the rest of us the 17th of April.

USMCF18
03-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Anyone know which class they are filling right now? DN in 10 days and when I interviewed rocky said they’d give us at least two weeks notice

I got a class of 4/17 yesterday off of a 3/21 Decision Board. One guy from my interview group got a 4/10 slot. Not a bad turn really....

Squallrider
03-24-2018, 02:23 PM
I got a class of 4/17 yesterday off of a 3/21 Decision Board. One guy from my interview group got a 4/10 slot. Not a bad turn really....

Nice my DB is April 4th potentially end April early May

Squallrider
03-25-2018, 07:52 AM

Any chance you know if there’s a class in April after 4/17 and/or if you know the dates for May classes?

USMCF18
03-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Any chance you know if there’s a class in April after 4/17 and/or if you know the dates for May classes?

There were only two class selections available, 4-10 and 4-17, on the directed webpage. They said if you needed a later class than those depicted to call them directly. My understanding is there are two class dates a month, with a potential slowdown in the near future for ETOPS training before it picks back up. But I only “know” that based on what I have seen on the forum so that could certainly not end up what actually happens. I am too much of a noob to be able to give much insight.

BigWillyCapt
03-25-2018, 10:15 AM
April 10, 17, 24 and May 1st

Squallrider
03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
April 10, 17, 24 and May 1st

What’s next after May1st?

FOG95
03-25-2018, 10:26 AM
What’s next after May1st?

I’m in a May 22 class. I don’t know if there is a class on the 8th or 15th.

Squallrider
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Do you heard yay or nay on the actual DB day or the days following? Longest two weeks...

USMCF18
03-30-2018, 12:30 PM
My interview group heard the day of the DB. Calls started at roughly 1630 EST.

Cysco4120
03-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Do you heard yay or nay on the actual DB day or the days following? Longest two weeks...

A friend of mine had his decision board on the 21st and was called that evening. It could still be a day or two though just depends on which Chief is calling and what else they might be dealing with. I know how you feel with having to wait. When I was hired in 2008 it was 6 weeks from interview to decision board and I got called 5 days after the board met. It’s much quicker now with the virtual decision board. Hang in there. You will hear soon.

Barracudaking
03-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Was this a second interview?

Do you have the option to reapply?

Do you have a violation?

Yes, second interview, no violations, CFI failure 18 years ago only. Guess it just wasn't my day.

Still think Southwest is the best.

Barracudaking
03-30-2018, 01:39 PM
did you have any letters, from anyone ? external or internal ?

Seven external, all dated less then 30 days.

BarrySeal
03-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Yes, second interview, no violations, CFI failure 18 years ago only. Guess it just wasn't my day.

Still think Southwest is the best.

do you think that was it ? CFI Failure ? Did they make that a talking point in the interview.

Reason I ask is that is all past-history, probably self-reported somewhere, on-your-record-already stuff. But they still called you to come down to the building and interview.

Just trying to reverse engineer their thought process....

Squallrider
03-31-2018, 01:40 AM
do you think that was it ? CFI Failure ? Did they make that a talking point in the interview.

Reason I ask is that is all past-history, probably self-reported somewhere, on-your-record-already stuff. But they still called you to come down to the building and interview.

Just trying to reverse engineer their thought process....

If they invite you they want to hire you, they know all there is to know about you if you fill out the app properly

slimothy
04-01-2018, 09:08 AM

My DB was on a Tuesday, I got the call that day. The last guy got the call Friday, after surely convincing himself he was going to get the TBNT email, not the “welcome to SWA” phone call. It is a long week for some, try to sit tight.

Fgrosoli
04-01-2018, 12:27 PM
My DB was on a Tuesday, I got the call that day. The last guy got the call Friday, after surely convincing himself he was going to get the TBNT email, not the “welcome to SWA” phone call. It is a long week for some, try to sit tight.

So it may take 2-3 extra day from decision board? Well, I guess I will keep staring at my phone... how many days of interview do they need to look at on their meeting ? References and Pria requests were sent at the beginning of last week, so I guess that is a good sign....
Happy Easter in the meantime

JCAK
04-04-2018, 02:54 PM
I got the CJO on the day of the DB. I'm so excited to join the Southwest team!

Twinjetav8r
04-04-2018, 03:46 PM
I got the CJO on the day of the DB. I'm so excited to join the Southwest team!

I was on the 16th tee box. Par 3, 155 yards. The Houston CP called. Other three teed off and I said I would meet them at the green if I was still on the phone.

Finished the call just as they finished teeing off. I stepped up, 7 iron in hand, layed it on the green 15 feet short of the hole and right. Missed the birdie putt, but got the par and the job!!!!!!! Love it here. Wish I had come sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full of luv
04-04-2018, 04:23 PM
I was on the 16th tee box. Par 3, 155 yards. The Houston CP called. Other three teed off and I said I would meet them at the green if I was still on the phone.

Finished the call just as they finished teeing off. I stepped up, 7 iron in hand, layed it on the green 15 feet short of the hole and right. Missed the birdie putt, but got the par and the job!!!!!!! Love it here. Wish I had come sooner.

Ahhhhh I was waiting for the story to end with ....." and I made a hole in ONE!"

Fgrosoli
04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
I got the call today ....yessssssssssssssssssss
Super excited classed offered 17 and 24 april

slimothy
04-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Congrats to all! Can’t wait to get you guys on property, as I am currently in the junior class!

Squallrider
04-05-2018, 05:06 AM
I got the call around 11, super excited to get started but conflicts at home I can start till May (I know seniority, moving the earth and sky etc).

Anyone have some gouges or study guides? I’d love to get started and get ahead beyond the stuff on pilot credentials

moflyer
04-05-2018, 05:11 AM
I got the call around 11, super excited to get started but conflicts at home I can start till May (I know seniority, moving the earth and sky etc).

Anyone have some gouges or study guides? I’d love to get started and get ahead beyond the stuff on pilot credentials

I would just enjoy your time with family before coming to class. All of the pre class CBT’s have to be redone once class starts. You will be prepared for all of the phases of training. The only thing you could buy is the Cockpit Companion app, it was the biggest outside resource that I used.

Squallrider
04-05-2018, 05:14 AM
I would just enjoy your time with family before coming to class. All of the pre class CBT’s have to be redone once class starts. You will be prepared for all of the phases of training. The only thing you could buy is the Cockpit Companion app, it was the biggest outside resource that I used.

It’s more for overnights ha.

I don’t see a cockpit companion app, what version of the 737 is class based off of? I see there’s quite a variety of 737 apps

Jeff Lebowski
04-05-2018, 07:28 AM
It’s more for overnights ha.

I don’t see a cockpit companion app, what version of the 737 is class based off of? I see there’s quite a variety of 737 apps

Complete waste of money, at least in my case. Bought Cockpit Companion and it still resides on my iPad but I found that all the stuff the company throws at you is more than adequate to get you ready for the oral.

Save your money. You'll need it for beer.

barabek
04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Complete waste of money, at least in my case. Bought Cockpit Companion and it still resides on my iPad but I found that all the stuff the company throws at you is more than adequate to get you ready for the oral.

Save your money. You'll need it for beer.

^ This 100%! Save your money and enjoy the time off with your family. Training is easy but you won't have too much time off, so it'll feel longer than it is (2 months roughly).

2strokin
04-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Don't waste your money with the Cockpit Companion. It goes way more into detail than you need to know. Better app is the B737 Interactive app by eric cannon for 19.99.

Squallrider
04-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Anyone have issues with the cbts? Plays great and then 3/4 through some systems it says invalid player..

slimothy
04-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Anyone have issues with the cbts? Plays great and then 3/4 through some systems it says invalid player..

You’re going to have to do them again when you get here, so don’t waste your time. Spend time with family. Look at checked limits and immediate action items.

BarrySeal
04-05-2018, 06:42 PM
^ This 100%! Save your money and enjoy the time off with your family. Training is easy but you won't have too much time off, so it'll feel longer than it is (2 months roughly).

how long typically between CJO and Day-1 of new hire training ?

can a guy squeeze in a cruise with the wife prior to class ?

at6d
04-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Start getting your liver up to speed.

usernamehere
04-06-2018, 03:21 AM
Got the call a couple days ago! There were many options for classes. I picked a class just over two weeks away from the call.

Squallrider
04-06-2018, 03:53 AM

CJO you get day after interview (it’s a CJO to authorize background check, everyone gets it even if you don’t get hired) two weeks or so after interview is the decision board, then you heard that day usually but sometimes later if you got it. There are hints along the way you’re doing well like background check info needed or referrals being called. Class offered this time around was 13 days away from my DB, 20 days away and 30 days (from DB).

BigWillyCapt
04-06-2018, 05:35 PM

It's up to you. Decision board when you get the call is a Wed roughly 2 weeks after your interview. Within the week (after that) you will start getting emails one of which will be instructions to pick a class date. There are a couple options which are typically the first available. If you don't want those you can email them back and they will send you later options. You have up to 120 days to start class, so that should give you plenty of time for a cruise.

ZapBrannigan
04-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Delaying a class to take a cruise sounds like something that someone who has never been furloughed might do.

Take the earliest possible class. Seniority is everything. You’ll be able to squeeze in a cruise once you’re on the line.

slimothy
04-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Delaying a class to take a cruise sounds like something that someone who has never been furloughed might do.

Take the earliest possible class. Seniority is everything. You’ll be able to squeeze in a cruise once you’re on the line.

^he’s not wrong.

at6d
04-07-2018, 09:48 AM
I took an earlier class than those that interviewed with me. I’m 30 numbers senior, and I was in the blank lines a couple months earlier in my domicile. You only need to be junior by one number to lose out on stuff.

BarrySeal
04-07-2018, 09:17 PM

agree......

Twinjetav8r
04-21-2018, 08:21 AM
I took an earlier class than those that interviewed with me. I’m 30 numbers senior, and I was in the blank lines a couple months earlier in my domicile. You only need to be junior by one number to lose out on stuff.

I was two classes ahead of guys that I interviewed with. They asked if I could be there in 6 days. I said heck yes. Gained about 50 numbers.

Bonam
04-26-2018, 06:46 AM
For those who interviewed yesterday, has anyone received a background check email yet?

Icaruss
04-27-2018, 08:45 AM
How quick after the interview do they start calling the references?

Kalamazoo
04-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Mine were called the following week.

Icaruss
04-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Mine were called the following week.

What about Sterling, do they also send a separate email?

Squallrider
04-27-2018, 09:54 AM
My references were called a week in. I got a email asking for w2s for employment verification (my companies HR department doesn’t use the auto service ) and then I got the call from chief on my board date. Offered class 9 days from call, two weeks and three weeks

Bonam
04-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Is there any correlation in iCIMS and how the process is going after the interview? A friend of mine interviewed this week and the status changed to “under review” and his withdrawal button reappeared a couple of days after the interview.

Squallrider
04-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Is there any correlation in iCIMS and how the process is going after the interview? A friend of mine interviewed this week and the status changed to “under review” and his withdrawal button reappeared a couple of days after the interview.

No there isn’t. First indication is references being called

Onetaco
05-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

I interviewed late April. Got the generic CJO the day after. References were called exactly a week later. Word is that some interviewed around the time I did, even after I did received an email stating they have completed their employment screening and to standby for further info. I have not received this. Guess its time to worry? DB is May 9. I did hear that it might be May 7. :confused::confused:

FOG95
05-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

I interviewed late April. Got the generic CJO the day after. References were called exactly a week later. Word is that some interviewed around the time I did, even after I did received an email stating they have completed their employment screening and to standby for further info. I have not received this. Guess its time to worry? DB is May 9. I did hear that it might be May 7. :confused::confused:

I wouldn’t worry about the email yet. I didn’t get the employment screening complete email until well after the call from CP with job offer. Same thing for a few other guys I know. Just sit tight until your DB date. It’s a tough wait.

c17heavy
05-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Don’t fret. I interviewed recently and was hired. Didn’t get the email you’re talking about until after the DB/Chief Pilot call. Hang in there brother.

slimothy
05-05-2018, 04:11 AM
Hello all,

They may just be waiting for paperwork from former employers, or something along those lines. If they haven’t contacted you for clarification on something or more documentation, then I’d take that as a positive sign. Sit tight, nothing is decided until your DB. Best of luck!

Onetaco
05-05-2018, 05:35 AM
Thank you much.

Bomber
05-07-2018, 05:31 AM
There’s supposed to be a decision board today. Does anyone know what time of day the calls usually start going out?

Thanks!

slimothy
05-07-2018, 08:24 AM
There’s supposed to be a decision board today. Does anyone know what time of day the calls usually start going out?

Thanks!

Once the board is complete the calls will go out as the CPs schedule allows. The Vegas CP called me from an airport shuttle on his way to fly a trip. They will likely start going out at the rapid rate, then slow down as the week progresses. I got my call on a Monday, the last member of my interview class didn’t hear anything until Friday. It can be a long week, best of luck!

Onetaco
05-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Heard some calls went out today. Anyone still waiting?

pilot124
05-10-2018, 06:30 AM
Can anyone please shed some light on the current SWA bases? All the information that I can find about this is several years old. How senior is PHX these days? Any new hires getting PHX right out of training? Thanks guys...:)

Warhawg01
05-10-2018, 07:15 AM
Within the last year, I’m pretty sure new hires got into every base in the system except Atlanta. It changes depending on the time of year. The junior FO in PHX is a Feb 18 hire, but a year ago it was the second-most senior FO base after ATL. Now ATL only takes about a year to get into. You could hold any other base within a few months, but it’s a fast moving hiring game, so a lot more could change. LAX opens this fall — not sure what the ramifications of that will be everywhere else.

Fuseplug
05-10-2018, 07:15 AM
Can anyone please shed some light on the current SWA bases? All the information that I can find about this is several years old. How senior is PHX these days? Any new hires getting PHX right out of training? Thanks guys...:)

Junior guy in PHX right now is a Feb '18 hire. Not sure if it's dropping right out of class, but no more than a month or two wait it seems.

(...and Warhawg beat me to it.)

WHACKMASTER
05-10-2018, 09:17 AM
LAX will be going VERY junior, at least the bottom half of each seat.

PowerShift
05-10-2018, 10:10 AM

New guy, so my opinion is worthless. But I would guess at first, the people who live in or near LA and commute to LAS, OAK and PHX would take the LAX base. There are only 5 or 6 PHX capt that commute (from what I’ve been told). Not sure how many PHX FO’s commute.

May 9 2017 hires are holding ATL.

ZapBrannigan
05-10-2018, 11:37 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/d85688dca7dee40c5e22135b19f8917c.jpg

flysocal77
05-10-2018, 06:35 PM

Agree. It will be our most junior base within a year. Followed by OAK, LAS. The west will become very junior. Not good for anyone living east of ABQ.

flysocal77
05-10-2018, 06:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/d85688dca7dee40c5e22135b19f8917c.jpg

Very cool chart! A picture is worth 1000 words.

Sqwk7700
05-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Junior guy in PHX right now is a Feb '18 hire. Not sure if it's dropping right out of class, but no more than a month or two wait it seems.

New hires are getting phx.

pilot124
05-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

SilverBull
05-11-2018, 05:50 PM
What were the latest class dates from the May 7th DB? Trying to figure out the latest timeline from interview to class.

upsiddwn
05-16-2018, 10:42 PM
How soon after the interview were references called? Has anybody been hired without references called prior to decision board?

slimothy
05-17-2018, 07:17 AM
What were the latest class dates from the May 7th DB? Trying to figure out the latest timeline from interview to class.

My buddy was offered June 5th. Not sure about your second question.

WestCoastHercs
05-17-2018, 11:08 AM
What are they telling you guys at interview how many will be hired this year?

Future LAX guy, but now, commuting to LAS

Squallrider
05-18-2018, 04:41 AM
How soon after the interview were references called? Has anybody been hired without references called prior to decision board?

References we’re called around the one week mark

Squallrider
05-18-2018, 04:42 AM

I heard only one class in June but 4 in July , those run weekly. Not sure on June, seems very low considering May was 3

Smooth at FL450
05-19-2018, 07:02 AM
I heard only one class in June but 4 in July , those run weekly. Not sure on June, seems very low considering May was 3

1 class in June makes sense as Training Scheduling needed to carve out a handful of days in July where there are no sim events to facilitate the final move of equipment from the old facility into the new LEAD building. Apparently this is some important equipment/computers that everything depends on...

Ronin47
05-23-2018, 08:10 AM
My logbooks are in good order. Do most applicants use a Excel spreadsheet during the logbook interview? Anyone care to share what Logbook questions they had for you? Thanks

WestCoastHercs
05-23-2018, 08:43 AM

The award for July came out and there are a lot of captain upgrades in June. (over 50 I think) 2 classes are scheduled. That may be the reason for the lack of classes in June.

Anyone hear how many we are supposed to hire this year?

coopervane
05-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know if once you are in class at SWA you are in class? Background check completed? Here at JETBLUE they sometimes walk in a week after you start and give you your background search completed paperwork signifying your entire background search was done.

We had a few guys over the years who were pulled out of class or in the simulator because something came back. Some were omissions during the interview, and SOME were mistakes. When I didn’t have anything to lose I didn’t worry about it.

Skyward
05-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Does anyone know if once you are in class at SWA you are in class? Background check completed? Here at JETBLUE they sometimes walk in a week after you start and give you your background search completed paperwork signifying your entire background search was done.

We had a few guys over the years who were pulled out of class or in the simulator because something came back. Some were omissions during the interview, and SOME were mistakes. When I didn’t have anything to lose I didn’t worry about it.

I received an email stating that the background check process was complete before I started class. However, I (and a couple of classmates) got emails about 3 weeks into class that they needed additional info pertaining to the BG check (Part 91 PRIA contact info, etc). I supplied the info and didn’t hear anything else. Based on that, I would say they try to get most of it done beforehand, but it could still be ongoing after you start. I have not heard of anyone getting pulled out of class over it, but I didn’t ask if it happens.

Warhawg01
05-23-2018, 10:03 AM
A guy a few classes ahead of me was sent home during training. Apparently he answered “no” to the question about busted checkrides. He busted something and the company viewed it is a checkride and sent him home.

at6d
05-23-2018, 10:07 AM
My logbooks are in good order. Do most applicants use a Excel spreadsheet during the logbook interview? Anyone care to share what Logbook questions they had for you? Thanks

An interview team person will sit down and look over your logbook in a discussion format. They may ask to see proof of minimums and such.

The common inquiry is to break down recency of experience over the past five years. Many people use a simple excel sheet to break it down.

I was handed a calculator and told to sum up my times. I offered the excel page and then we talked about Harley Davidson bikes the rest of the time.

They want to make sure your logbook and resume tell the same story. If your logbook adds up and doesn’t look like dog****, things will go easier.

orionreturns
05-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Once the board is complete the calls will go out as the CPs schedule allows. The Vegas CP called me from an airport shuttle on his way to fly a trip. They will likely start going out at the rapid rate, then slow down as the week progresses. I got my call on a Monday, the last member of my interview class didn’t hear anything until Friday. It can be a long week, best of luck!

So they don't all go out the day of the board? 2 of my references were called the week following my interview and about a week ago I got the email about taking the next step, they said it involved an errand to run and required an appointment so I figured it was the drug test. Today's my DB, haven't got a call yet. Anyone else get a call today?

Avroman
05-27-2018, 04:25 AM
I just got the email to set up an interview date. It says I have 90 days, is there an advantage to setting it up immediately and/or any penalty to waiting a couple weeks until the next month's work schedule is out so I don't risk picking a date that I have to work?

Warhawg01
05-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Other than earlier interview could possibly equal an earlier class date, hence lower seniority number — no, no penalty.

ZapBrannigan
05-27-2018, 05:50 AM
I just got the email to set up an interview date. It says I have 90 days, is there an advantage to setting it up immediately and/or any penalty to waiting a couple weeks until the next month's work schedule is out so I don't risk picking a date that I have to work?

Earliest interview = earliest class = better seniority.

It only takes ONE seniority number to be on the property vs. on furlough. Seniority is everything in this business. Jump on the first one available and make it work.

Squallrider
05-27-2018, 06:19 AM

I’d snap it up asap, select a day and day prior that you can probably bid to be off. Like mid week etc. I’d even bid reserve for a month if all else fails to try make it work

Fgrosoli
05-27-2018, 03:01 PM
I’d snap it up asap, select a day and day prior that you can probably bid to be off. Like mid week etc. I’d even bid reserve for a month if all else fails to try make it work

I waited for my schedule to come out , to make sure I was able to attend and also to make sure all my paperworks were in order. It helped in scheduling a one one one interview prep as well. But that was me.
Good luck!!!