Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : JB Austin Commute?

snarkfest
01-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Considering JB, but I don't want to move from AUS. Would a commute from AUS to BOS or JFK be a no-go? Currently commuting for a regional. It's fine, but with JB I guess I'll no longer have the flight benefits.

Yes, I know: Unless you live in base, JB isn't....etc, etc.

atrdriver
01-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Considering JB, but I don't want to move from AUS. Would a commute from AUS to BOS or JFK be a no-go? Currently commuting for a regional. It's fine, but with JB I guess I'll no longer have the flight benefits.

I don't know about AUS, but a minor correction here... even IF you live in base, JB isn't.....etc etc. I know lots of people who live in base who have either escaped recently or are trying their hardest to get out of here. And it turns out everyone who has left has said the grass is indeed greener. So is their bank account.

Rickce7
01-20-2018, 04:47 PM
I do the commute. . .It's not the best. . .not the worst. Usually five direct flights a day to JFK on us, Delta and AA. We are the least reliable. Commuting on the day of reserve or a trip is not a good idea. We usually have a late flight that leaves JFK around 2100 so it's usually okay to commute home on the last day. If I had to choose it over again, AUS would not have been my first choice as a commute city.

Rickce7
01-20-2018, 04:50 PM
. . and it seems as though there are 3 direct flights to BOS now as Delta and SWA do it. . .Not sure how that commute goes but the times don't look great. There are a few commuters from AUS to BOS but not many.

snarkfest
01-20-2018, 05:02 PM
I do the commute. . .It's not the best. . .not the worst. Usually five direct flights a day to JFK on us, Delta and AA. We are the least reliable. Commuting on the day of reserve or a trip is not a good idea. We usually have a late flight that leaves JFK around 2100 so it's usually okay to commute home on the last day. If I had to choose it over again, AUS would not have been my first choice as a commute city.

Yeah, figured there probably isn't anything super great about it except that it's possible. JB is the first airline to call, but maybe I'll pass. Actually considered Via Air, which just opened a base here, but not ready give up on the idea of making money just yet.

snarkfest
01-20-2018, 05:07 PM
I don't know about AUS, but a minor correction here... even IF you live in base, JB isn't.....etc etc. I know lots of people who live in base who have either escaped recently or are trying their hardest to get out of here. And it turns out everyone who has left has said the grass is indeed greener. So is their bank account.

If it were guaranteed that I could get picked up elsewhere before my current company falls out from under me, I'd hold out. Right now, JB is my only option aside from lower paying, no schedule 135/91 stuff. I get it though. Without that contract JB is dead in the water. Interestingly, I went back and was reading a JB post from 2007 comparing pay scales at all of the different majors (the poster was arguing that JB was the highest paying). Back then, everyone was pretty equal, including Delta, United, JB, Virgin, etc. Idk why we can't just go back to that.

Edit: Here's the post - https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/jetblue/11305-jblue-really-2nd-best-paying-job-after-f9.html. Everyone was pretty close back then.

atrdriver
01-20-2018, 05:09 PM
If it were guaranteed that I could get picked up elsewhere before my current company falls out from under me, I'd hold out. Right now, JB is my only option aside from lower paying, no schedule 135/91 stuff. I get it though. Without that contract JB is dead in the water. Interestingly, I went back and was reading a JB post from 2007 comparing pay scales at all of the different majors (the poster was arguing that JB was the highest paying). Back then, everyone was pretty equal, including Delta, United, JB, Virgin, etc. Idk why we can't just go back to that.

Man I get it. Just wanted to do the whole full disclosure thing. You are very right.

Otterbox
01-20-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah, figured there probably isn't anything super great about it except that it's possible. JB is the first airline to call, but maybe I'll pass. Actually considered Via Air, which just opened a base here, but not ready give up on the idea of making money just yet.

Take JetBlue until something better comes along.

coolyokeluke
01-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Take JetBlue until something better comes along.I agree. Leaving a regional should be a no brainier. The 175/900's and below just aren't going to make you as marketable, and they will never pay as well as an Airbus or Boeing job ( yeah a few terrible operators aside).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

clear4approach
01-21-2018, 06:08 AM

Go to JB, treat it as a stepping stone, and move on from it when you can.

CaptCoolHand
01-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Isnít there a big legacy carrier about an hour or somup the road with a huge base?

Iíd do that first

thrufru
01-21-2018, 06:52 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head regarding your current options. There are a lot of variables to consider when making this type of choice, particularly when a commute is involved, but I will parrot the other responses. If JB is the only one calling and you have real and serious concerns about the viability of your current company, then I'd pull the trigger and come here.

Accepting a training slot at JB doesn't mean you stop attempting to land a position with an airline that is better suited to your career goals, it just means that you're goning to gain experience on a different airframe while awaiting that call.

Is this a dead end? I don't think so. We will get a contract and as for the rates, we'll find those out when an AIP is reached and a TA is presented to the pilot group.

Pragmatism is the rule of thumb. Keep your logbooks up to date, keep your applications current and choose the best option that you have at that time. If a better option is offered, go. While it might not be particularly good form to leave training at one company to accept a position with another, the days of Cradle to Grave jobs are long gone. The only professional loyalty you owe is to yourself.

thrufru
01-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Isnít there a big legacy carrier about an hour or somup the road with a huge base?

Iíd do that first

There's a big old LegAAcy 20 minutes from my house, too, but like the thread starter, they've never called me either.

hyperboy
01-21-2018, 03:10 PM
It's amazing how so many want to make career decisions for someone they don't even know and have no idea what the future has in store for any of us rather than just answer the question.......

1982 your buddies would have laughed at you and taken you off the Christmas party list had you went to SWA over Eastern......

Hmmmmm.......

Bozo the pilot
01-21-2018, 05:19 PM
It's amazing how so many want to make career decisions for someone they don't even know and have no idea what the future has in store for any of us rather than just answer the question.......

1982 your buddies would have laughed at you and taken you off the Christmas party list had you went to SWA over Eastern......

Hmmmmm.......

HB- He asked for input. The proper advise as of right now is to take B6, get a type, and leave if b6 doesnt get their act together. If you can argue that, then i know youve lost your mind- so Lets hear it...;)

hyperboy
01-21-2018, 05:42 PM
HB- He asked for input. The proper advise as of right now is to take B6, get a type, and leave if b6 doesnt get their act together. If you can argue that, then i know youve lost your mind- so Lets hear it...;)

I thought it was about commuting.......:D

Bozo the pilot
01-21-2018, 06:17 PM
I thought it was about commuting.......:D

Weíll welcome him aboard at 30% less🤫😉

CaptCoolHand
01-22-2018, 03:04 AM

Hmmmmm.......

For startes. He asked.

No one knows the future. But you make decisions on the best info available at the time. Not hope change and unicorn farts.

hyperboy
01-22-2018, 08:11 AM
For startes. He asked.

No one knows the future. But you make decisions on the best info available at the time. Not hope change and unicorn farts.

To funny. Thanks for the laugh.

say again
01-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Def not a no-go, but look at all options.

Rascal
01-22-2018, 09:20 AM
You are better off staying at a regional and waiting for the call from a Major. JetBlue is run by NYC hipsters that have no business running an airline. I regret leaving my regional and after 3 years I am still in the red income wise.

PasserOGas
01-22-2018, 09:33 AM
You are better off staying at a regional and waiting for the call from a Major. JetBlue is run by NYC hipsters that have no business running an airline. I regret leaving my regional and after 3 years I am still in the red income wise.

So true. The managers here are all man scape their facial hair. Its not just Bonnie.

24Whiskey
01-24-2018, 06:56 AM
I commute from AUS to JFK for Endeavor. Itís a long flight but the frequency usually means youíre not waiting around for a flight home very long. The late B6 flight (2115-30ish) is a life saver too.

Iím in the same boat. I find living in the area to be well worth the commute. If Via Air was around a few years ago I might have chosen differently.

Also if you read into some of the rumors/news thereís a possibility of an AUS domicile for a couple carriers in the near/mid future...

CAirBear
01-25-2018, 08:21 PM
I commute from AUS to JFK for Endeavor. Itís a long flight but the frequency usually means youíre not waiting around for a flight home very long. The late B6 flight (2115-30ish) is a life saver too.

Iím in the same boat. I find living in the area to be well worth the commute. If Via Air was around a few years ago I might have chosen differently.

Also if you read into some of the rumors/news thereís a possibility of an AUS domicile for a couple carriers in the near/mid future...

I believe Allegiant will have an AUS base sometime this year. We just built a new terminal on the south side for us (mostly). The company has been talking about AUS base the last couple years. Things are a bit hectic as we transition to all Airbus this year, but itís going to be announced sooner than later I suspect.

snarkfest
01-26-2018, 05:21 AM
I believe Allegiant will have an AUS base sometime this year. We just built a new terminal on the south side for us (mostly). The company has been talking about AUS base the last couple years. Things are a bit hectic as we transition to all Airbus this year, but itís going to be announced sooner than later I suspect.

Thatíd be pretty amazing. Wonder if itíll be senior.

txbusdriver
01-29-2018, 07:18 PM

That terminal has been there for YEARS. It was built for a Mexican low cost carrier that scaled back when fuel prices hit the roof.
On another note, commuting anywhere sucks. To and from AUS is a looong flight with poorly timed and inadequate frequency.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1