Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Headset for the E175

NomNomNom
01-20-2018, 07:51 PM
I currently use a LightSpeed Zulu headset and figure I’m going to have to trade it out for a TSO’d headset.

Trying to get an idea of what headsets you guys use and works best in the E175, especially the Clarity Aloft.

Thanks!

GrassLandings
01-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Bose qc15 and u fly. Qc25 and u fly, clarity aloft, and Bose a20s are what I see most. Some telex, Some lightspeeds. All work fine. I prefer Bose with u fly. It doubles as a media/workout headset, as well as noise cancelling for those loud hotels. Don't think anyone has been hassled ever about TSO. If it's a known headset brand, you are good.

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-21-2018, 04:38 AM
I currently use a LightSpeed Zulu headset and figure I’m going to have to trade it out for a TSO’d headset.

Trying to get an idea of what headsets you guys use and works best in the E175, especially the Clarity Aloft.

Thanks!

I use a david clark from 1997, got it from a CFI in 2005, broke in 2015, rebuilt by David Clark for $90 bucks. It has one volume knob. Works great

jungle driver
01-21-2018, 07:37 AM
https://www.amazon.com/David-Clark-Electronic-Noise-Cancelling-Aviation/dp/B00E9JA7FQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516552410&sr=8-1&keywords=david+clark+pro+x

works great, super comfortable, light weight and a few hundred $ less than a pair of Bose A20's.

Taco280AI
01-21-2018, 07:43 AM
I like the ProX, been using them in singles and the Baron. Only imagine they're even better in a quiet(er) jet.

miker1
01-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Thanks!You dont have trade it out for a tso'ed set. Nobody will hassle you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Fr8Thrust
01-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanks!

I prefer the Clarity. I would only buy a new headset if you want a new headset. TSO-spec is a policy that is written in a book, and basically ends there. Reality is the majority fly around non-TSO.

JetDoc
01-21-2018, 10:35 AM
I flew with a Lightspeed Zulu for a few years, non-TSO'd, had Feds on the the jump numerous times and not one ever asked to see it so honestly I wouldn't worry about it. That being said I now have a DC Pro X and it is the best headset I have ever used in a decade of professional flying. Takes up a lot less room in my bag too.

week
01-21-2018, 01:44 PM
If anyone tries to sell you that quiet comfort/ clarity aloft story, don’t buy it. Every LA guy I fly with is raving about that and 95% of them have to hold their mics with their free hand when they talk, only to have it cut out or physically swing 2 inches away when they let go. :D

NomNomNom
01-21-2018, 02:54 PM
I appreciate all the input guys. I look forward to seeing you all on the line.

nimbleNavigator
02-01-2018, 01:00 PM
A20 with the 6 pin ANR plug.

flyboy94
03-31-2018, 03:13 PM
Anyone have any insight on the Bose QC25 iflyMike adapter and if it is worth the money. Even if it is not TSO'd!

Aviator147
03-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Anyone have any insight on the Bose QC25 iflyMike adapter and if it is worth the money. Even if it is not TSO'd!

I use it and I love it! Super light weight, and good battery life only using 1 AAA battery. And works great if you need to commute or deadhead, just remove the mic attachment.

AKNGPilot
03-31-2018, 03:26 PM
We don't require headsets to be TSO, recent change.

flyboy94
03-31-2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks everyone!

FlytheSky
03-31-2018, 08:49 PM
We don't require headsets to be TSO, recent change.

Really? I find 2 spots in the latest version of the FOM where it says the headset must be TSO'd. 6-6-2 (page 186) and 9-5-3 (page 506)

"All flight crewmembers (flight deck) are required to wear and
use a TSO approved headset with a boom microphone (unless
any or all portions of the headset system is deferred per the
MEL) when operating Compass aircraft below 18,000’ MSL"

"Note: Headsets must be an aviation unit with a FAA TSO. NonTSO’d
headsets may be the wrong impedance and could inadvertently
allow complete volume shutoff."

Unless there's been a change that supersedes the FOM, it sounds like the TSO is a requirement still (per the FOM).

That being said, I use the UFlyMike Harmony QC25 and love it. The headset is incredibly lightweight, comfortable, and quiet (and it sounds like it will be TSO'd, but it's technically not yet TSO'd). Definitely more quiet than the QC15, which I also have used in the 175. Since the QC15 was TSO'd (albeit with TSO'd earbuds), I see no reason why the QC25 should have any difficulties becoming TSO'd, I don't personally have any problems wearing it in the meantime.

I've worn it on my FAA Fed ride and line checks and never had anyone say a word about it. If anyone does, I'll just apologize and use the spare headset in the plane so we're legal.

brocklee9000
03-31-2018, 10:43 PM
"Note: Headsets must be an aviation unit with a FAA TSO. NonTSO’d
headsets may be the wrong impedance and could inadvertently
allow complete volume shutoff."

Purely a spectator here, but things like this makes me furrow my brow a bit. Like the eternal debate facial hair/no facial hair on quick-donning oxygen masks, it seem someone made a rule on the most extreme contingency. But it sounds like no one really cares. I doubt anyone is going to check a clarity aloft or ufly/nflight to see if it's got the little TSO stuff.

ConfCodeCOOL
04-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Yeah I've used the Uflymike with feds onboard twice, with line check airmen, literally nobody cares. Use whatever headset you want.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1