Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Q400 vs Jet

flyblo
01-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Looking for some info so I can make an educated decision.

I was hired last month and assigned to 175s. The other day I (and I imagine most new hires) received a call asking if I'd be willing to switch to the Q. My Q start date would be as soon as Feb, and the jet start date is projected for April.

Getting to work sooner sounds appealing, but I have a couple questions:

1) Typically, how many legs and what airports are served for each? Where do you RON? I'm a mil guy, so one of my weaker areas is lack of experience going into major airports...that's something I'd like to expose myself to.

2) What bases are guys getting out of training? How long to switch? I'll be commuting out of Sacramento, and one reason I liked the 175 was the Seattle base...easiest commute I could come up with.

I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more. As always, appreciate any help.

Galaxy5
01-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Easiest commute you can do is PDX. I did it for two years. Plenty of DL and AS commuters headed to Seattle and only 2-3 more flights a day, some out of the A terminal making the rush from one side to the other more difficult if you miss your online flight. Just SWA and AS/QX to PDX. I only met another commuting pilot twice.

Jet came after I left, but youíll get plenty of major airport experience on the Q. Youíll also get experience turning your own lights on and announcing on CTAF at midnight in the mountains and fly some ridiculous approaches...stuff not included in my mil time. Q was enjoyable. Youíll move to a major and do easy flying in easy airplanes for the rest of your life. Enjoy the work while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Migz74
01-23-2018, 08:23 PM
I also was assigned the 175 and am waiting for a May training date. Kinda wishing I chose the Q myself.

snackysmores
01-23-2018, 09:23 PM
You won't regret flying the jet over the Q. Trust me.

Flyinlynn
01-23-2018, 11:34 PM
Does Horizon assign the aircraft or can you request which one you want to fly?

DashAviator
01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
I actually enjoy flying the Q400. Most of our trips are three or four days. In a typical four-day trip, you'll average about four legs a day. You'll overnight in "exotic" locales such as Pasco, Santa Rosa, Wenatchee, and Redmond. The Q400 does a lot of interesting flying. We have Cat III capability and do stuff like RNP, GPS, and LPV approaches.

Many of the new-hires are getting Portland immediately after training. From what I've heard, Seattle is relatively senior for FO's.

The main down side to the Q400 is that it is complicated (maybe more than it needs to be), with a lot of unusual quirks and a not-so-user-friendly FMS. The schedules can be brutal. Advantages of the jet? Better schedules, easier airplane, and that "jet" thing on your type rating. Lots of airlines operate the E170/E175. Very few fly the Q400.

Both the jet and our Q400's operate into some very busy airports. In the last year, I've been to Los Angeles (numerous times), Las Vegas, Seattle, and Salt Lake. If you hate getting up at 4 a.m. or getting done at midnight, you're not going to like either one. The jet actually operates some "red-eyes". We don't do any of these in the Q400, but there are plenty of 11 p.m. departures out of Seattle.

Good luck!

DashAviator
01-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Does Horizon assign the aircraft or can you request which one you want to fly?

You can always express a preference as far as aircraft type or base. The company has actually been pretty good as far as aircraft type (the base can be more of an issue, as there's only one jet base and two or three of the Q400 bases have a waiting list).

flyblo
01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the knowledge guys.

Tough choice. Try to avoid letting my anxiousness cloud my decision making, but it sure would be nice to start building hours at a good rate again...I'm a KC-135 AC in the reserves, but I've only been getting 15-20 hours a month over the past year.

bluefxstc
01-24-2018, 10:42 AM
You can always express a preference as far as aircraft type or base. The company has actually been pretty good as far as aircraft type (the base can be more of an issue, as there's only one jet base and two or three of the Q400 bases have a waiting list).

What Q bases have waiting lists and about how long, thanks

DashAviator
01-24-2018, 11:03 AM
O.K., keep in mind that it might take 4 months to get through training. At the present time, the FO seniority at each base (from most junior to most senior) is:

Medford
Portland
Spokane
Boise
Seattle

I can't tell you exactly how many months at each base, but the junior guy in the Q400 in Seattle has been here about 8 months or so. You can expect to get your base of choice within a year.

hawgwild
01-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the knowledge guys.

Tough choice. Try to avoid letting my anxiousness cloud my decision making, but it sure would be nice to start building hours at a good rate again...I'm a KC-135 AC in the reserves, but I've only been getting 15-20 hours a month over the past year.

I've got the exact same background as you plus I fly the Q. You will learn a lot from the Q and from the locations it flies. Also, the Q is state of the art compared to the block 40 135 and is actually easier to fly than the tanker.

Stinger6
01-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Hi,
Following this and other threads like it...
What are the requirements to upgrade to CA on the Q400?
I am getting back into 121 after a long time away, but I have about 1500 121/SIC hours.

flyblo
01-24-2018, 12:33 PM
I've got the exact same background as you plus I fly the Q. You will learn a lot from the Q and from the locations it flies. Also, the Q is state of the art compared to the block 40 135 and is actually easier to fly than the tanker.

PM'd you to pick your brain.

flyblo
01-24-2018, 12:35 PM
O.K., keep in mind that it might take 4 months to get through training. At the present time, the FO seniority at each base (from most junior to most senior) is:

Medford
Portland
Spokane
Boise
Seattle

I can't tell you exactly how many months at each base, but the junior guy in the Q400 in Seattle has been here about 8 months or so. You can expect to get your base of choice within a year.

Good to hear. I'd love to be in Seattle, but my parents live just outside of Portland...so that would be convenient.

Is reserve long or short call?

snackysmores
01-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Good to hear. I'd love to be in Seattle, but my parents live just outside of Portland...so that would be convenient.

Is reserve long or short call?

We have both long and short call. If you're long call you will be called first and they will keep you for the entire time because if they release you it's another 12 hour call out. If you want to work the least on reserve dont do long call.

DashAviator
01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
We have both. Short call is a 2-hour call out for Portland and Seattle, 1.5 hours for the other bases. Long call is 12 hours. We are usually short-staffed on the First Officer and/or Captain side, so you'll get used a lot.

We also have airport reserve in Portland and Seattle (not sure about the other bases, don't think so). This means you sit at the airport. It is sometimes called "hot" reserve or ready reserve at other airlines. Airport reserve lines are high credit with a fair number of days off, so they often go senior.

flyblo
01-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Lots of learning going on today.

One more: any thoughts on how majors view turboprop time vs jet time?

Galaxy5
01-24-2018, 05:13 PM

I canít second this enough. The guys who talk about how crappy the Q is have typically never flown an AF airplane, or as I liked to say, the best of 1960s technology...today.

The Q is screwy, yes, I fly the 737 now, people call it a real heap...but compared to the C-5, theyíre both pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyinlynn
01-24-2018, 08:18 PM

What is the base for the ERJ?

snackysmores
01-24-2018, 11:20 PM
What is the base for the ERJ?

SEA

filler

snackysmores
01-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Lots of learning going on today.

One more: any thoughts on how majors view turboprop time vs jet time?

Nobody cares, 121 time is 121 time.

ASpilot2be
01-24-2018, 11:27 PM
As for time to hold Portland it looks like maybe 6 months. I was hired in September, and looks like I might hold PDX in March.

BradTsPublicist
01-25-2018, 11:04 AM
I recommend that you stay in the E-175, with that being said, I recommend that you fly one at Skywest. The Q400 is a hot mess in which you work way too hard for way too little money. The E-175 by comparison is very easy to fly and for the most part has a much more pleasant route structure making for a much more pleasant day of flying. The question is, fly the 175 at Horizon when you can fly the same equipment at Skywest where the fleet is actually growing, there is a far superior route structure to operate on, and the basing options are pretty much the same as Horizon and the best part? YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK AT HORIZON! Don't ruin your career, go to Skywest.

Vanilla
01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
I recommend that you stay in the E-175, with that being said, I recommend that you fly one at Skywest. The Q400 is a hot mess in which you work way too hard for way too little money. The E-175 by comparison is very easy to fly and for the most part has a much more pleasant route structure making for a much more pleasant day of flying. The question is, fly the 175 at Horizon when you can fly the same equipment at Skywest where the fleet is actually growing, there is a far superior route structure to operate on, and the basing options are pretty much the same as Horizon and the best part? YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK AT HORIZON! Don't ruin your career, go to Skywest.

Must be having a tough time filling classes (and retaining) with that $7500 bonus, average pay at best slipping to below industry average (1% raises LULZ :p), double occupancy rooming during groundschool and sim, sending west coast hopefuls to the midwest/ATL (but selling the west coast QoL during the interview) with zero commuter policy, oh and lower pay than Horizon.

Seriously, leave.

flyblo
01-25-2018, 06:30 PM

Appreciate the viewpoint...I actually interviewed with Skywest as well...and there was a good deal of hand wringing over the decision. The guarantee of a west coast base (have friends and family all over the PNW) helped horizon edge out in front. I also felt like the company was a better fit for me throughout both interview processes and while socializing with the other applicants.

sinsilvia666
01-25-2018, 08:08 PM
The q was a lot of fun to fly, u can fly twin jets for 30 years but a turboprop with as much balls as that is rare. You learn a lot flying low and have to work for those greasers!

snackysmores
01-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Appreciate the viewpoint...I actually interviewed with Skywest as well...and there was a good deal of hand wringing over the decision. The guarantee of a west coast base (have friends and family all over the PNW) helped horizon edge out in front. I also felt like the company was a better fit for me throughout both interview processes and while socializing with the other applicants.

Don't be short sighted either. You're going to want to upgrade and it's guaranteed PDX/sea here versus Detroit or Chicago at Skywest

flyblo
01-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Don't be short sighted either. You're going to want to upgrade and it's guaranteed PDX/sea here versus Detroit or Chicago at Skywest

True statement.

pete2800
01-26-2018, 06:34 PM

I love your username. Haha. I rate your troll 8/10, would read your material again!

snackysmores
01-26-2018, 06:47 PM
I love your username. Haha. I rate your troll 8/10, would read your material again!

I was about to comment as well, 10/10 username

Migz74
01-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Iíve been told that if you fly the ERJ you most likely will upgrade on the turboprop. One reason I am thinking I might have made a bad decision. Has anyone upgraded from jet to prop? How was it?

SIUav8er
01-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Iíve been told that if you fly the ERJ you most likely will upgrade on the turboprop. One reason I am thinking I might have made a bad decision. Has anyone upgraded from jet to prop? How was it?

"Upgrade is upgrade" and learning a new type is "learning a new type" So the real challenge is learning a new type while also learning how to be a Captain. It goes without saying that upgrading in your current type is easier than learning a new type while upgrading... The Q400 is an easy air]plane to fly, regardless of the myths and rumors you may hear in the training department.

FlyBi
02-05-2018, 06:05 PM
I was hired on a few weeks ago. They gave you the choice of the airplane to fly.
Already having 1000hrs PIC in a turboprop., i chose the Q-400.
Feb class date, faster upgrades, already meet Alaska hiring mins.
You get to really fly a plane. Hands on, awesome approaches, very interesting destinations, then life in the Majors can be quite,,.well, complacent.
Its whatever YOUR looking for, time bldg, jet time, domicile, how long a commute?
All good questions to ask.

Zigfly78
08-18-2018, 12:26 PM
This thread is really great! I'm a military RTP applicant and understand all of us will initially start with the Q400. I also have a option to interview with Compass (all ERJ 175 fleet).

I really want to know where Horizon pilots go after Horizon?

Yes I understand there is a pathway to Alaska but I don't want to cut myself out of an opportunity to fly for American, Delta, FedEx, etc. if not being in a Jet will hurt my competitiveness.

PanRobert
08-18-2018, 02:01 PM

Well said. Skywest is a better deal.