Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Questions about JB

iflyalot
01-26-2018, 04:36 AM
How long would a new hire expect to be on reserve ? Where is the jr bases and what aircraft are new employees being hired into?

Gearswinger
01-26-2018, 05:42 AM
BOS or JFK 190 or Bus. Itís luck of the draw. Donít know what itís like in the bus, but BOS 190 reserve is over a year.

Wait until we get a contract, though. Itís a dumpster fire right now.

aldonite7667
01-26-2018, 06:02 AM
To sum up 8 years at JB in 1 word. DISAPPOINTING.

RiddleEagle18
01-26-2018, 06:14 AM
2nd lowest paid airbus pilots in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combatcraig
01-26-2018, 06:24 AM
RSV on bus at JFK was almost a year. BOS closer to 2 years. And currently being on RSV blows! Although Iím sure the guys that live in base donít mind. As a commuter I couldnít wait for a line.

BlueBus
01-26-2018, 06:51 AM
How long would a new hire expect to be on reserve ? Where is the jr bases and what aircraft are new employees being hired into?

Stay far away. This place is going to get much worse before it gets any better.

coopervane
01-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Stay far away. This place is going to get much worse before it gets any better.

Sometimes I wonder if the people applying are unemployable at the big 3. Itís baflling to me...

I applied here because when I researched and asked (much of it on this site) I was advised jetblew had some small problems But otherwise a great place to work. The legacyís were mostlyjust starting up hiring.

When I got here I found that to be mostly true. Over the past 4 years however it has gotten worse.....much worse.

Now, my former colleagues, that were envious of MY GREAT FORTUNE to get a call from jetblew, are now at Delta/AA/SWA, and ecstatic to be at such a great job after being whipped the last decade at a dying regional.

I got lazy and comfortable here, THAT IS ON ME AND I REGRET NOT BEING MORE AGRESSIVE WITH MY APPS. So here we are 4 years later and again, the death by a thousand cuts is occurring. Now it is becoming too LATE for me to move on.

If I were asking now....and getting THIS FEEDBACK, I would stay far away.

Bluedriver
01-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Sometimes I wonder if the people applying are unemployable at the big 3. Itís baflling to me...

I applied here because when I researched and asked (much of it on this site) I was advised jetblew had some small problems But otherwise a great place to work. The legacyís were mostlyjust starting up hiring.

When I got here I found that to be mostly true. Over the past 4 years however it has gotten worse.....much worse.

Now, my former colleagues, that were envious of MY GREAT FORTUNE to get a call from jetblew, are now at Delta/AA/SWA, and ecstatic to be at such a great job after being whipped the last decade at a dying regional.

I got lazy and comfortable here, THAT IS ON ME AND I REGRET NOT BEING MORE AGRESSIVE WITH MY APPS. So here we are 4 years later and again, the death by a thousand cuts is occurring. Now it is becoming too LATE for me to move on.

If I were asking now....and getting THIS FEEDBACK, I would stay far away.

Great post. Every word of this post is also true for me. I was reasonably happy here at one point, now, um no....

This is a great honest opinion from a guy that has not been a negative burn-it-down guy.

I've noticed Southerner, LOWpayman and Hypergirl have been awfully quiet lately. Finally.

atrdriver
01-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Apply elsewhere. You will thank everyone who posted above. Working here gets worse by the week.

snarkfest
01-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Apply elsewhere. You will thank everyone who posted above. Working here gets worse by the week.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this would be true with a new contract. That other post about the company offering less than Alaska pay makes me wonder.

hilltopflyer
01-26-2018, 11:57 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is if this would be true with a new contract. That other post about the company offering less than Alaska pay makes me wonder.

And it was less than Alaska pay rates if we took concessions on our already terrible scheduling language.

Southerner
01-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Great post. Every word of this post is also true for me. I was reasonably happy here at one point, now, um no....

This is a great honest opinion from a guy that has not been a negative burn-it-down guy.

I've noticed Southerner, LOWpayman and Hypergirl have been awfully quiet lately. Finally.

I'm only quiet because there's no point in engaging with your stupidity. You're a broken record. I see that you used your real name on JBLU Pilots, and you're not as much of a jackwagon over there...wonder why?

PasserOGas
01-26-2018, 01:38 PM
There is a strike coming here. Mark my words.

The reality of what jetblew thinks we are worth is really starting to sink in, especially after this year's approximately 10% YOY PAY CUT. Profit sharing way down. Nothing but a new $hit sandwich every month.

They will not give us market rate unless we strike. It is obvious. Unfortunately I think we have a couple more years of getting jerked around before this reality sinks in with some of the optimists around here.

atrdriver
01-26-2018, 02:11 PM
There is a strike coming here. Mark my words.

The reality of what jetblew thinks we are worth is really starting to sink in, especially after this year's approximately 10% YOY PAY CUT. Profit sharing way down. Nothing but a new $hit sandwich every month.

They will not give us market rate unless we strike. It is obvious. Unfortunately I think we have a couple more years of getting jerked around before this reality sinks in with some of the optimists around here.

You're right. I'm saving for a strike.

New hires........can you afford our industry bottom first year pay and then be on the street for an unknown period of time?

Bluedriver
01-26-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm only quiet because there's no point in engaging with your stupidity. You're a broken record. I see that you used your real name on JBLU Pilots, and you're not as much of a jackwagon over there...wonder why?

Never even registered on that website Juicebox.

You're quiet because this place gets worse every week, and you're realizing that everyone else is finally coming to that realization.

Bozo the pilot
01-26-2018, 08:43 PM

Wheres the B6 defense South? Lets hear it...;)

Duksrule
01-30-2018, 06:51 AM
I’d say JFK is most junior on the bus. There are folks in JFK with a line at about the 11 month mark. BOS is a few months behind at probably 14 months to a line. I would not go to JFK just to get the line a few months earlier though. In contrast I have a buddy on the 190 in BOS who has a line in February right at the year mark.

As for the airline itself here is my $.02 with about 18 months on property...
-if you have other, better options then take them. If you are stuck at a crappy place and JB is a little less crappy then by all means come on over. It isn’t a bad place to wait for a better option. Be prepared though $53/hr first year and you will not break guarantee on reserve. Four people from my indoc class have already moved on and most of the junior FOs I talk to have their apps out.
-I do think that we will have to strike or at least vote to strike before anything gets done. My bigger fear is that by the time that happens any good will that was left in the pilot group will be long gone and never come back. I think that the company really believes they can screw us around all they want and when the CBA finally happens that they can snap their fingers and everyone will be a big happy family again. That is not going to happen in my opinion because people are becoming very bitter.
-I think if we do strike it won’t last a week. The company just can’t afford to let that happen.
-I was at a crappy regional for a few months before coming here and this place seems to be ran by the same idiots that were running that place. We had a winter storm on 12/23 that was predicted in every weather model for a week but nobody thought to call in people to man the ice trucks. We were dead in the water that morning. This is just another day at JB.
-most of the pilot group are great people. I have yet to fly with a single person I wouldn’t want to fly with again. Although I did fly with a captain who said he thought he was already paid enough. Not a bad guy but he is at the top of the food chain and has lost sight of what is going on in the real world.

Space Ranger
01-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Is there any bid process for a/c or is everyone assigned what the company needs during indoc? Does anyone privy to the information know what a typical class drop looks like? Or better yet, what the actual last few have looked like?

Gearswinger
01-30-2018, 02:32 PM
Your seniority is based on age in your class. So you bid on what is available based on that on day 1. If JFK bus is the only thing they need, thatís where everyone is going. Lately itís been a few 190 slots in BOS and JFK but mostly bus JFK.

Space Ranger
01-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Your seniority is based on age in your class. So you bid on what is available based on that on day 1. If JFK bus is the only thing they need, thatís where everyone is going. Lately itís been a few 190 slots in BOS and JFK but mostly bus JFK.

Appreciate the intel. What does a typical junior line look like on the bus and 190? Days off/length of trips/legs per day, etc.

Bluedriver
01-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Appreciate the intel. What does a typical junior line look like on the bus and 190? Days off/length of trips/legs per day, etc.

That's easy, junior is VERY, VERY bad reserve rules. Seriously.

snarkfest
01-30-2018, 05:25 PM
That's easy, junior is VERY, VERY bad reserve rules. Seriously.

Itís like ALPA is running paid information campaign against the company on this forum. Captain Vladimir Canoll.

BeatNavy
01-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Is there any bid process for a/c or is everyone assigned what the company needs during indoc? Does anyone privy to the information know what a typical class drop looks like? Or better yet, what the actual last few have looked like?

Do you have a class date here? Have you applied? Why the f would you apply here? Also, for space rangers we have 2 Soyuz slots and 2 shuttle slots. Soyuz usually goes junior. But really, every airline aircraft and base assignment is seniority based, based on vacancies. It fluctuates here, some classes are mostly bus, some are mostly emb, some are split. Most have NY/BOS vacancies.

PasserOGas
01-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Itís like ALPA is running paid information campaign against the company on this forum. Captain Vladimir Canoll.

I wish there was information that I could give that made this place sound awesome. Unfortunately there isn't any.

Space Ranger
01-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Do you have a class date here? Have you applied? Why the f would you apply here? Also, for space rangers we have 2 Soyuz slots and 2 shuttle slots. Soyuz usually goes junior. But really, every airline aircraft and base assignment is seniority based, based on vacancies. It fluctuates here, some classes are mostly bus, some are mostly emb, some are split. Most have NY/BOS vacancies.

Just gathering intel. Nothing more, nothing less. To be clear, the bidding process varies by airline. Whether it be age, SS #, etc. Hence my line of questioning. Generally the most unhappy folks gather with their pitchforks and torches here on this forum and sing their sorrows so Iím not exactly looking for a sales pitch one way or the other. Iíve seen the billboards. Objective factual information is all Iím after.

snarkfest
01-30-2018, 05:51 PM
I wish there was information that I could give that made this place sound awesome. Unfortunately there isn't any.

I didnít say ďdisĒ-information, but it has to be better than Trans-States, Mesa, Commutair. And the contract will come.

BlueJetDork
01-30-2018, 07:24 PM
It’s like ALPA is running paid information campaign against the company on this forum. Captain Vladimir Canoll. Truth hurts.

Most will soon realize it is the new Rockridge.

It looks good from the street but then you move in and discover
https://scvhistory.com/gif/lw2145i.jpg

It's take most less than 6 months to see behind the curtain.

You? Probably never!

BlueJetDork
01-30-2018, 07:30 PM
I didn’t say “dis”-information, but it has to be better than Trans-States, Mesa, Commutair. And the contract will come.
Compared to being eaten alive by a Lion being run over by a train is better.

When compared to the worst the not as bad is always better. Not as bad doesn't make it good.

ShyGuy
01-30-2018, 08:27 PM
What's jetBlue's reserve days off for a 30 and 31 day month? And what kind of typical line award do reserves get (eg, 5 on 3 off, 4 on 4 off, etc)

BlueJetDork
01-30-2018, 09:06 PM
What's jetBlue's reserve days off for a 30 and 31 day month? And what kind of typical line award do reserves get (eg, 5 on 3 off, 4 on 4 off, etc)

18 on in a 30 or 31 day month.

Looks like the bottom RSV in JFK A320 were 2,3 and 4 day off blocks in each line.

Problem is we don't know our first day RSA until around noon the previous day. I would count of 2:00am first day RSA. OAL can only flex RSA a few times per month. We can be moved from 2:00 to 18:00 for instance every RSV day.

It sucks!

ShyGuy
01-31-2018, 10:31 AM
18 on in a 30 or 31 day month.

Looks like the bottom RSV in JFK A320 were 2,3 and 4 day off blocks in each line.

Problem is we don't know our first day RSA until around noon the previous day. I would count of 2:00am first day RSA. OAL can only flex RSA a few times per month. We can be moved from 2:00 to 18:00 for instance every RSV day.

It sucks!

On any reserve line, you don't know your reserve window for day 1 of reserve stretch until the day before? Or is that only for certain rsv lines?

The701Express
01-31-2018, 10:44 AM
On any reserve line, you don't know your reserve window for day 1 of reserve stretch until the day before? Or is that only for certain rsv lines?

That's for everyone on reserve for every day of reserve. It's supposed to be published by the company at noon the day prior, but it is routinely late, with no penalty to the company.

Contract Above All

Gearswinger
01-31-2018, 11:11 AM
And that reserve window could be 0230 or 1600, it is impossible to predict.

BlueJetDork
01-31-2018, 11:27 AM

I will say it slowly!

Any

and

all

RSVs

don't

know

their

RSA

period

for

each

day

of

RSV

until

the day

prior.

It

sucks!

Whatever is needed the next day is what determines everyones RSA especially Junior RSVs.

Company owns 100% of the flexibility of the RSV system. This what the no voters voted for.

Bozo the pilot
01-31-2018, 05:15 PM

lol- Sounds like a management troll;)
Lets hear more wisdumb...

ShyGuy
01-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Ahh yikes, I understand. :eek:

Space Ranger
02-01-2018, 08:17 AM
I will say it slowly!

Any

and

all

RSVs

don't

know

their

RSA

period

for

each

day

of

RSV

until

the day

prior.

It

sucks!

Whatever is needed the next day is what determines everyones RSA especially Junior RSVs.

Company owns 100% of the flexibility of the RSV system. This what the no voters voted for.

That's awful.

Bluedriver
02-01-2018, 08:40 AM
That's awful.

That's what I said, and then some tool said it seemed like alpa had a paid negative campaign on APC. NO, it's just sucks THAT bad!

BlueJetDork
02-01-2018, 10:15 AM
That's what I said, and then some tool said it seemed like alpa had a paid negative campaign on APC. NO, it's just sucks THAT bad!

RockRidge.

Looks good from the street and then you open door and it is just a facade.

Space Ranger
02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
RockRidge.

Looks good from the street and then you open door and it is just a facade.

Mileage will very depending on who's looking in and what street they are looking from. Someone from a bottom barrel regional might see 3 year airbus pay and have their eyes light up. It's all subjective. But yes, JB pilots need to be caught up on the market rates and be paid accordingly. After your initial ~year or so on reserve, what does a standard line look like? As far as days per month/days per trip/legs per day. I know the contract blows but what is life on the line like..

Thanks

Bluedriver
02-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Mileage will very depending on who's looking in and what street they are looking from. Someone from a bottom barrel regional might see 3 year airbus pay and have their eyes light up. It's all subjective. But yes, JB pilots need to be caught up on the market rates and be paid accordingly. After your initial ~year or so on reserve, what does a standard line look like? As far as days per month/days per trip/legs per day. I know the contract blows but what is life on the line like..

Thanks

You said it yourself, JB can only look good if your in a REAL feces-hole job now.

As to your question, lines are built to an average minimum of approximately 85 hours. Junior Airbus pilots usually hold 10 hour 3-day trips that end with a red-eye.

You heard that right, 10 hours of pay for a 3 day trip. Work backwards for days off per month. Welcome to JB.

BlueJetDork
02-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Thanks

Looking at it from the worst then less worse is better. But it still on the worst end of the scale.

Jetblue has internal stats that measure the number of Promoters and Detractor. They call it Net Promoter Score or NPS. They use it to measure both external NPS of our customer and internal to measure the NPS of employees.

They broke all employee into our Departments. Flight Operation, inflight, Ground Ops, etc.

Flight Operations had the biggest change (delta) from promoter to detractor and over the shortest period of time. That means even the pilots who came from "bottom of the barrel" airlines in 6 months went from a Promoter to Detractor. The drop was fastest and the differential was the largest of all other work groups.

The best way to survive the next 3-5 years is to live in base. As far as what it looks like during this time then contract your bud who works here and have them send to you the last 12 month of bid results for A320 JFK FO and then plan the commutes in and home.

citxls
02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
You said it yourself, JB can only look good if your in a REAL feces-hole job now.

As to your question, lines are built to an average minimum of approximately 85 hours. Junior Airbus pilots usually hold 10 hour 3-day trips that end with a red-eye.

You heard that right, 10 hours of pay for a 3 day trip. Work backwards for days off per month. Welcome to JB.

Iím going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you here ďinsert bill lumberg voice.Ē

Iíve been here a little over a year, I hold mostly commutable 3-4 day DAY trips, up and down the east coast 2 legs a day usually. Average credit between 19-24 hours per trip with about 95 credit a month.

I do not like being in the seat for more than 5 hours in a single sitting so I prefer the 2 leggers on east coast.

10 hour 3 days are a joke, hence why they are always in open time. YMMV.

ALT SEL ooops
02-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Iím going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you here ďinsert bill lumberg voice.Ē

Iíve been here a little over a year, I hold mostly commutable 3-4 day DAY trips, up and down the east coast 2 legs a day usually. Average credit between 19-24 hours per trip with about 95 credit a month.

I do not like being in the seat for more than 5 hours in a single sitting so I prefer the 2 leggers on east coast.

Wow you must clearly either be managment, or a dumpster diving juicer. Ive been here coming up on 4 years. 3 day trips worth 19 hours and commutable!? Yea right. And at just over a year? BS buddy.

Let me guess and you hold weekends off as well.

slimothy
02-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Wow you must clearly either be managment, or a dumpster diving juicer. Ive been here coming up on 4 years. 3 day trips worth 19 hours and commutable!? Yea right. And at just over a year? BS buddy.

Iím about to have my second anniversary, and Iíve been too timid to ask, but since you mentioned it, what is this ďweekendĒ I keep seeing people mention?

pugpilot
02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm at 1 year Boston Bus. Middle of the pack reserve, usually get 1 weekend off a month.

citxls
02-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Damn dude you sound like a social assassin. Not a juicer, and not a management stooge but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Never had a weekend/holiday off since I was on reserve. Mostly; by definition means more than likely to have but not always. For Feb I have mostly back end commutable trips with a total credit of 86, plus a night caribbean turn I grabbed to bring it to 92. If you would prefer that I lie about it and say that my schedule is equivalent to that of a very large piece of fecal matter then sure.

See you at the next picket.

Actually I lied about everything. Robin does my bids for me.

ALT SEL ooops
02-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Damn dude you sound like a social assassin. Not a juicer, and not a management stooge but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Never had a weekend/holiday off since I was on reserve. Mostly; by definition means more than likely to have but not always. For Feb I have mostly back end commutable trips with a total credit of 86, plus a night caribbean turn I grabbed to bring it to 92. If you would prefer that I lie about it and say that my schedule is equivalent to that of a very large piece of fecal matter then sure.

See you at the next picket.

Actually I lied about everything. Robin does my bids for me.

I prefer Flica assassin :)

Bluedriver
02-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Who needs company pilot recruiters when we have guys like you! Sell it bro, best place ever!

captsurf
02-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Iím 5 months on the line, JFK Bus. So far Iíve gotten at least 2 or 3 weekend a month off on reserve. Based on the system bid that goes into effect in June, Iíll still be about 20-25 #s away from holding a line if all is the same as last summers bid awards. Likely by Aug, which puts it right at or before the 1yr mark on reserve.

BeatNavy
02-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Iím 5 months on the line, JFK Bus. So far Iíve gotten at least 2 or 3 weekend a month off on reserve. Based on the system bid that goes into effect in June, Iíll still be about 20-25 #s away from holding a line if all is the same as last summers bid awards. Likely by Aug, which puts it right at or before the 1yr mark on reserve.

Looking at the line awards for people in their first 2+ years on property, airbus schedules look brutal. I guess you all have more open time to swap and try to make it better, but that looks terrible. I would hate to be a junior line holder on the bus here...looks worse than our reserve.

captsurf
02-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Looking at the line awards for people in their first 2+ years on property, airbus schedules look brutal. I guess you all have more open time to swap and try to make it better, but that looks terrible. I would hate to be a junior line holder on the bus here...looks worse than our reserve.

Agreed. I live local to JFK so Iíll likely just bid reserve with weekends off until I can hold something better. Although even with a horrible line with 10hr-3days, Scheduling flexibility gets better tenfold when holding a line.

Combatcraig
02-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Been at JFK over a year and a half on the bus. My schedule usually blows when I 1st see it but Iíve always been able to fix it in the windows so Iím satisfied with it. QOL is way better when I got off RSV.

HighFlight
02-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Does the advice to ďStart out on the 190, and move over to the Bus when you can hold a lineĒ still hold? IOW, does either airframe offer a better QoL than the other?

aldonite7667
02-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Does the advice to ďStart out on the 190, and move over to the Bus when you can hold a lineĒ still hold? IOW, does either airframe offer a better QoL than the other?

Not unless you can only live in base on the 190. That thing blows.

BeatNavy
02-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Not unless you can only live in base on the 190. That thing blows.

Comparing my days off to bus guys days off, Iíd beg to differ. Ive extensively compared my schedules and pay to guys in my pad with similar seniority, and I came out ahead. Significantly when they had been on reserve. I was on reserve for a few months...they were on reserve for 15 months. I bid commutable lines almost right away...they had no visibility on their schedule until the day prior since they were on reserve. When I was on reserve I had lots of long call and PRLs...they didnít. At the 2 year mark it made sense schedule/money wise to move. But most of my trips are 1-2 legs a day on the 190, commutable when I bid for it, and my productivity more than makes up for the 10% pay differential. Ymmv based on reserve times. Some guys hired 6 months after me on the 190 had a long reserve sit.

nuball5
02-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Unless you live near Boston, take the Airbus. Seems like the 190 schedules are getting worse and worse. Might get a couple more days off than on the Airbus, but you'll need it to rest up after a double EWR turn day trip. The one perk of the 190 was the shorter upgrade time, and that's gone too.

Bozo the pilot
02-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Comparing my days off to bus guys days off, Iíd beg to differ. Ive extensively compared my schedules and pay to guys in my pad with similar seniority, and I came out ahead. Significantly when they had been on reserve. I was on reserve for a few months...they were on reserve for 15 months. I bid commutable lines almost right away...they had no visibility on their schedule until the day prior since they were on reserve. When I was on reserve I had lots of long call and PRLs...they didnít. At the 2 year mark it made sense schedule/money wise to move. But most of my trips are 1-2 legs a day on the 190, commutable when I bid for it, and my productivity more than makes up for the 10% pay differential. Ymmv based on reserve times. Some guys hired 6 months after me on the 190 had a long reserve sit.

my experience exactly - it all depends on timing.

atrdriver
02-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Bid what you can make the most money on for the QOL. I'd suggest the 717.

717 CA NYC pays $219 first year versus 320 JB $53.

Even if you don't take the first upgrade, 717 FO 2nd year is $118 vs 320 $94 (plus 16% DC and more profit sharing than a captain makes here).

Bozo the pilot
02-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Even if you don't take the first upgrade, 717 FO 2nd year is $118 vs 320 $94 (plus 16% DC and more profit sharing than a captain makes here).

This is true- DEF bid the JFK 717. You may even get the 76ER out of training.
Oh wait thats Delta- B6 has NOTHING to attract pilots.
Well...there is the culture. :rolleyes:

HighFlight
02-14-2018, 06:27 PM
You say unless one lives near BOS. But wouldnít the same be true about the bus in JFK? If one lived in CHItown, or Texas, and had to commute to either base, and wasnít willing to live in either BOS nor JFK, what then?

Unless you live near Boston, take the Airbus. Seems like the 190 schedules are getting worse and worse. Might get a couple more days off than on the Airbus, but you'll need it to rest up after a double EWR turn day trip. The one perk of the 190 was the shorter upgrade time, and that's gone too.

nuball5
02-14-2018, 06:54 PM
You say unless one lives near BOS. But wouldnít the same be true about the bus in JFK? If one lived in CHItown, or Texas, and had to commute to either base, and wasnít willing to live in either BOS nor JFK, what then?

Not sure what you're trying to ask, but the movement on the 190 in JFK is pretty much backwards and might not even be a domicile in the future. I personally think taking the 190 only makes sense if you live near BOS or live in MCO and want to be based their asap. The 190 was advantageous if you wanted to get a line quicker with better QOL, but that really hasn't been the case for the past couple years. That could change with one system bid, but all the growth is on the Airbus side.

Xtreme87
02-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Not sure what you're trying to ask, but the movement on the 190 in JFK is pretty much backwards and might not even be a domicile in the future. I personally think taking the 190 only makes sense if you live near BOS or live in MCO and want to be based their asap. The 190 was advantageous if you wanted to get a line quicker with better QOL, but that really hasn't been the case for the past couple years. That could change with one system bid, but all the growth is on the Airbus side.

190 jfk will never go away unless the airplane does. No way will they lose the reserves to cover all the SYR, BUF, ROC flights after a line of storms comes through the northeast. Basically would knock out half the evening bank of flights.

HighFlight
02-14-2018, 08:31 PM
I was trying to see if things had changed from a year ago. It used to be that the 190 was a “better gig” in that RSV was shorter, and the lines were better than the 320.

Basically, anytime you can live in base, that will make QoL considerably better. But not everyone is willing to live in either of those two junior bases (as evidence by the large number of commuters at JB, from my understanding). So I was trying to figure out what people think the best option is now, for 2018. 190 JFK, 320 BOS, or ???.

Hope that explains my quest for info a tad better. Sorry if I was unclear before.

atrdriver
02-14-2018, 09:51 PM

If one lives near JFK, they would be smart to go to DL or AA. Or "CHItown, or Texas" in your example. Really, there's no reason to willfully get underpaid so badly at JB unless you have DUIs, training failures or are otherwise unhirable at an airline that pays pilots what they're worth. Hopefully this changes soon, but in the meantime...... #keepsgettingbetter (everywhere else)

Bluedriver
02-15-2018, 04:47 AM

I agree. Best bid option for a new hire.

yayairplanes
02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
If one lives near JFK, they would be smart to go to DL or AA. Or "CHItown, or Texas" in your example. Really, there's no reason to willfully get underpaid so badly at JB unless you have DUIs, training failures or are otherwise unhirable at an airline that pays pilots what they're worth. Hopefully this changes soon, but in the meantime...... #keepsgettingbetter (everywhere else)

Why don't you get a job at Delta or AA then?

atrdriver
02-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Why don't you get a job at Delta or AA then?

Said by someone who has zero experience in the major airline job market.

I should have just gotten a job at a well-paying airline. Why didn't I think of that?

CaptCoolHand
02-28-2018, 02:52 AM
Said by someone who has zero experience in the major airline job market.

I should have just gotten a job at a well-paying airline. Why didn't I think of that?

So easy a caveman could do it! Been at jb now 10 years and I never once thought to just go to AA DAL or UAL.... god Iím so stupid.

AYLflyer
02-28-2018, 05:24 AM
If one lives near JFK, they would be smart to go to DL or AA.

This sounds like the advice I get from the completely disconnected Delta and AA pilots when I jumpseat on them.

"Hey you know we're hiring, have you tried applying and coming here? We need pilots!"

Holy crap really? You guys are hiring pilots? Man I'll get right on that!

Bgood
03-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Hey guys/gals

How long does it take for a new hire to get FLL or MCO?
Does both bases have both equipments based there?
Which equipment are new hires currently getting? Do you have a choice?

ShyGuy
03-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Just curious what is the most junior system wide lineholding 320 CA and what base is that in?

rvr1800
03-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Just curious what is the most junior system wide lineholding 320 CA and what base is that in?

Read Flyby’s answer below

Flyby1206
03-01-2018, 08:47 AM

Dec 2010 date of hire for the junior JFK 320 CA line holder for March, 53% overall seniority in the company.

The most junior JFK 320 CA went to 1/14 DOH from the last bid, and roughly 70% seniority overall.

So you can see the gap between holding the seat and holding a line

rvr1800
03-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Dec 2010 date of hire for the junior JFK 320 CA line holder for March, 53% overall seniority in the company.

The most junior JFK 320 CA went to 1/14 DOH from the last bid, and roughly 70% seniority overall.

So you can see the gap between holding the seat and holding a line

Thatís a lot of reserve :eek:

Bozo the pilot
03-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Thatís a lot of reserve :eek:

Tell me about it:eek:

rvr1800
03-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Tell me about it:eek:

BOS 320 CA is even worse. Junior line holder is a March 2007 hire. Junior BOS 320 CA is November 2011 hire. Almost 5 years to hold a line.

goose15
03-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Hey guys/gals

How long does it take for a new hire to get FLL or MCO?
Does both bases have both equipments based there?
Which equipment are new hires currently getting? Do you have a choice?

FLL is A320 base. Right now itís about 1 1/2 year to get it.

MCO has both A320 and E190. Its junior on the EMB, about 2-3 years. On the 320, somewhere around 3-4 years.

New hires are getting a mix of EMB and 320, with JFK or BOS.

You get to bid aircraft/base on your first day, based on what the company offers. It goes by seniority in your class, with the oldest being the most senior.

Bgood
03-01-2018, 11:29 AM
FLL is A320 base. Right now itís about 1 1/2 year to get it.

MCO has both A320 and E190. Its junior on the EMB, about 2-3 years. On the 320, somewhere around 3-4 years.

New hires are getting a mix of EMB and 320, with JFK or BOS.

You get to bid aircraft/base on your first day, based on what the company offers. It goes by seniority in your class, with the oldest being the most senior.

Thank you goose!

Kilroy
03-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Hey wanted to know what are the medical benefits cost per pay check for a family of 6. Also when does insurance start for new hire.

captsurf
03-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Hey wanted to know what are the medical benefits cost per pay check for a family of 6. Also when does insurance start for new hire.

www.lifeisbetterinblue.com will tell you all you need to know

$178/$216 for family depending on the plan. Benefits kick in the first of the following month after 30 days of employment. Hire date March 1st, benefits start April 1st... hire date March 15th, benefits start May 1st.

Embraergirl
03-02-2018, 05:12 AM
Hey guys,:)

How long does it take for them to schedule the video interview after sending the emails out?
Would love to hear about your video interview experiences.
Also did you use Cage Marshal or Emerald Coast?
How did you prepare for your in person interview.

Thank you in advance!

say again
03-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,:)

How long does it take for them to schedule the video interview after sending the emails out?
Would love to hear about your video interview experiences.
Also did you use Cage Marshal or Emerald Coast?
How did you prepare for your in person interview.

Thank you in advance!

Search function works great. You'll get all the info you need.

yayairplanes
03-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Hi Egirl. People here are angry and unhelpful and I suggest that once you get hooked up with Emerald Coast, ignore this forum until you get the job.

To answer your questions, I got the email to set up the video interview the next day.

Emerald Coast has a gouge on the video interview. It's easy but you must prepare and know what to expect beforehand. Don't worry about it.

Emerald Coast.

Emerald Coast.

slimothy
03-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Hi Egirl. People here are angry and unhelpful and I suggest that once you get hooked up with Emerald Coast, ignore this forum until you get the job.

To answer your questions, I got the email to set up the video interview the next day.

Emerald Coast has a gouge on the video interview. It's easy but you must prepare and know what to expect beforehand. Don't worry about it.

Emerald Coast.

Emerald Coast.

Iíd also recommend considering the reason weíre all so p!ssed off when deciding if this is really the place for you to advance your career. There is a lot of anger, but there is also a lot of truth in that anger. Maybe this place makes sense for you, but donít just dismiss how p!ssed we are as us being aholes.

Bluedriver
03-03-2018, 06:52 AM
iíd also recommend considering the reason weíre all so p!ssed off when deciding if this is really the place for you to advance your career. There is a lot of anger, but there is also a lot of truth in that anger. Maybe this place makes sense for you, but donít just dismiss how p!ssed we are as us being aholes.

Well said.

#I*AGREE*....

402DRVR
03-04-2018, 06:09 PM

Emerald Coast.

Emerald Coast.

This is true. Lots of frustration going around right now. A lot of us feel this could have been settled a long time ago.

That said itís a good place to work and one I am hoping to call home for a long time. Despite the frustration the people are still pretty good to work with and I can generally say I look forward to coming to work.

Everywhere will have its problems. Of all the places Iíve been this one has the fewest.

Embraergirl
03-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Thank you xx

Rascal
03-04-2018, 07:02 PM
This is true. Lots of frustration going around right now. A lot of us feel this could have been settled a long time ago.

That said it’s a good place to work and one I am hoping to call home for a long time. Despite the frustration the people are still pretty good to work with and I can generally say I look forward to coming to work.

Everywhere will have its problems. Of all the places I’ve been this one has the fewest.

You are in the minority of the pilots that feel this way.

RiddleEagle18
03-05-2018, 05:02 AM
Posted on BP last night. This is happening to more and more pilots on a daily basis. Itís sad really and didnít need to be this way, but this was managements decision.

ďThis resonates. I said something true earlier tonight by accident (which is always unsettling). I was chatting with a gate agent about our operations last weekend and stopped myself from saying just a little too much with a "I'm going to stop there because I like my job."

And it wasn't true, and it was the first time I deeply realized that it wasn't true. Something in the last few weeks or months flipped the switch from "a job I like in less than ideal circumstances" to "a job I dislike" and I didn't notice.

I suspect that we could get the richest contract in history tomorrow and it wouldn't matter. We would still be disregarded drones. All it would mean is that we would fight every day to enforce it. Fly now grieve later, and maybe you'll get your day off back in 6 months. The same people would run this place, and they'd celebrate the milestone of signing a contract by showing everyone else on the property that it's still not worth it by simply making our lives hell in spite of it.

I don't think achieving a CBA means going back to business as usual. Those days are gone forever, and we'll simply be better compensated, not happier.Ē

Bluedriver
03-05-2018, 06:22 AM
Posted on BP last night. This is happening to more and more pilots on a daily basis. Itís sad really and didnít need to be this way, but this was managements decision.

ďThis resonates. I said something true earlier tonight by accident (which is always unsettling). I was chatting with a gate agent about our operations last weekend and stopped myself from saying just a little too much with a "I'm going to stop there because I like my job."

And it wasn't true, and it was the first time I deeply realized that it wasn't true. Something in the last few weeks or months flipped the switch from "a job I like in less than ideal circumstances" to "a job I dislike" and I didn't notice.

I suspect that we could get the richest contract in history tomorrow and it wouldn't matter. We would still be disregarded drones. All it would mean is that we would fight every day to enforce it. Fly now grieve later, and maybe you'll get your day off back in 6 months. The same people would run this place, and they'd celebrate the milestone of signing a contract by showing everyone else on the property that it's still not worth it by simply making our lives hell in spite of it.

I don't think achieving a CBA means going back to business as usual. Those days are gone forever, and we'll simply be better compensated, not happier.Ē

Unfortunately:

#I*AGREE*

coopervane
03-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Posted on BP last night. This is happening to more and more pilots on a daily basis. It’s sad really and didn’t need to be this way, but this was managements decision.

“This resonates. I said something true earlier tonight by accident (which is always unsettling). I was chatting with a gate agent about our operations last weekend and stopped myself from saying just a little too much with a "I'm going to stop there because I like my job."

I don't think achieving a CBA means going back to business as usual. Those days are gone forever, and we'll simply be better compensated, not happier.”

Sums up how I feel daily.

If I didn’t have a family, I would vote with my feet immediately.

Why in God’s name would you entertain working here?

pugpilot
03-05-2018, 08:17 AM

Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

I've been here 1 year and I'm done. If I can't get a new job and am stuck here, so be it. I'll fly their planes SOP from now till my last day but I won't lift a finger or give one F on anything I'm not legally obligated to.

CaptCoolHand
03-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately:

#I*AGREE*

#me2

dotdotdot

Bozo the pilot
03-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Can't put the genie back in the bottle.

I've been here 1 year and I'm done. If I can't get a new job and am stuck here, so be it. I'll fly their planes SOP from now till my last day but I won't lift a finger or give one F on anything I'm not legally obligated to.

Well stated. SOP only.

402DRVR
03-06-2018, 07:33 AM
You are in the minority of the pilots that feel this way.

Yeah I get it. I guess I just try to keep things in perspective. I'm frustrated with the lack of progress. I don't like being compensated 35% less than someone doing my job elsewhere. I do get it, and I am on board and actively trying to help with the effort.

That said, I've also worked at some really bad places. Again that doesn't mean we don't try to make this place better. But there is a difference between being frustrated, and wanting better, and making myself miserable all the time. I just can't do that.

I posted a couple things when I was angry the other day that I wish I hadn't, but I did. I think the union is right in the post they put up the other day about what gets posted here. There is a fine line between SOP and obstruction and we should be careful not to cross it. Not for the sake of the company but for ourselves. If we are seen to be obstructing or even engaging in work actions, how are we going to expect a mediator to look upon our case favorably? And really how effective is taxiing slow really going to be? I'd rather we keep doing our jobs, SOP, and allow the MEC and the NC to get the job done for us.

On the other side of that, breaking SOP by taxiing at break neck speeds is not a good idea either. Dropping the brake before clearance to push is not only breaking SOP but both the company and the union have told people to stop doing that. Doing these things to "help out" is not helping anyone on either side of this. And yet people continue to do this.

360KIAS
03-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Is JB still opening ATL-JFK this month? Or has that been pushed back?

Is there a 2-year seat lock for new hires on either airframe?

pilotpayne
03-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Is JB still opening ATL-JFK this month? Or has that been pushed back?

Is there a 2-year seat lock for new hires on either airframe?

ATL-JFK is up and running.

Yes about the seat lock.

HighFlight
03-11-2018, 04:58 PM
ATL-JFK is up and running.

Yes about the seat lock.

Thanks. Any idea how many ATL-JFK flights per day?

capt707
03-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Thanks. Any idea how many ATL-JFK flights per day?

2/day. ATL-JFK/FLL/MCO all started a few days ago.

cmesoar
03-12-2018, 04:39 AM
Yeah I get it. I guess I just try to keep things in perspective. I'm frustrated with the lack of progress. I don't like being compensated 35% less than someone doing my job elsewhere. I do get it, and I am on board and actively trying to help with the effort.

That said, I've also worked at some really bad places. Again that doesn't mean we don't try to make this place better. But there is a difference between being frustrated, and wanting better, and making myself miserable all the time. I just can't do that.

I posted a couple things when I was angry the other day that I wish I hadn't, but I did. I think the union is right in the post they put up the other day about what gets posted here. There is a fine line between SOP and obstruction and we should be careful not to cross it. Not for the sake of the company but for ourselves. If we are seen to be obstructing or even engaging in work actions, how are we going to expect a mediator to look upon our case favorably? And really how effective is taxiing slow really going to be? I'd rather we keep doing our jobs, SOP, and allow the MEC and the NC to get the job done for us.

On the other side of that, breaking SOP by taxiing at break neck speeds is not a good idea either. Dropping the brake before clearance to push is not only breaking SOP but both the company and the union have told people to stop doing that. Doing these things to "help out" is not helping anyone on either side of this. And yet people continue to do this.

Excellent post! I agree 100%

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1