Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

HwkrPlt
01-27-2018, 10:06 AM
As with most americans, I have a facebook page. From time to time I'll post something that perhaps not everyone agrees with, or is in perhaps bad taste. I was told by someone that I should delete anything and everything that might "offend" someone because the airlines will look for you on social media, and "offensive" stuff might ruin your chances. I've never posted anything I really think is offensive, but there are some political posts, and perhaps some off color items shared (Like a Sam Kinison video of his stand up).

First, what exactly are they looking for? How deep of a dive do they actually take? Has anyone ever heard of someone not getting hired due to their social media shenanigans?

Next, does deleting ones facebook also delete everything I've ever posted on FB? Any other suggestions?

Tnx

PerfInit
01-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Iím not a FB expert, but I believe that you should check your privacy settings and ďlock it downĒ as tight as it will go. Like only allowing ďfriendsĒ to view your page. As with anything on the WWW, if you post it, you should expect it to be on there forever...

CAirBear
01-27-2018, 10:23 AM
As previously said, make sure itís as private as it can be. FB has come along way in that regard. Some people you canít see anything except one profile picture and nothing else unless your friends with them.

As far as airlines looking. I donít know this for certain and itís just my opinion, but I think the whole creeping on FB is way more to do with the 9-5 Corp America jobs. Literally every pilot candidate has some stupid stuff on their FB from time to time.

I honestly donít think airlines pay much attention to this. Now executive or management positions in the corporate world? I think so.

HwkrPlt
01-27-2018, 10:28 AM
I have the privacy settings as high as possible, but supposedly stuff can still be seen by people that know where or how to look.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I don't want anything to ruin my chances.

2StgTurbine
01-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Lots of people like to like an airline's FB page. It appears many don't fully understand that those recruiters can see your profile once you do that.

Otterbox
01-27-2018, 11:54 AM
As with most americans, I have a facebook page. From time to time I'll post something that perhaps not everyone agrees with, or is in perhaps bad taste. I was told by someone that I should delete anything and everything that might "offend" someone because the airlines will look for you on social media, and "offensive" stuff might ruin your chances. I've never posted anything I really think is offensive, but there are some political posts, and perhaps some off color items shared (Like a Sam Kinison video of his stand up).

First, what exactly are they looking for? How deep of a dive do they actually take? Has anyone ever heard of someone not getting hired due to their social media shenanigans?

Next, does deleting ones facebook also delete everything I've ever posted on FB? Any other suggestions?

Tnx

I know of several cases where airlines chose not to hire folks after diving into their social media profiles.

Good place to start...

Avoid inflamitory posts on public groups... especially any aviation related (the airline recruiters are tuned into those).

Donít wank about airlines on your own page.

Avoid racially and politically charged posts as well as posts that could be interpreted as disperaging to women and the LGBTQ+ communities... especially when applying to companies with known affinities towards specific communities (thereís a list of NGPA, OBAP and WAI Airline attendees published yearly).

zondaracer
01-27-2018, 11:56 AM
I treat my Facebook page like LinkedIn. I have a friend who would post very biased political posts on his Facebook and used his real name. Heís at Delta now so it didnít stop him.

Hossharris
01-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Change the name on your Facebook profile so itís not easily linkable to you.

01-27-2018, 12:21 PM
I donít have Facebook or any social media. Wonder if theyíll find this strange when they canít find anything on me.

Duesenflieger
01-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Lots of people like to like an airline's FB page. It appears many don't fully understand that those recruiters can see your profile once you do that.

I am not quite sure that this is entirely correct. I am not a FB expert by any means but I do believe that no one can view your posts if it is set to friends only or custom. If you choose not to set it to friends or private, then quite literally everyone who wants will have access to your private sentiments, information, likes and so so comment of the day. Point in case, lock down your profiles, people or risk inadvertently tanking your odds at getting your dream job.

tinman1
01-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Honestly I wouldn't even bother with Facebook anymore. The only useful aspect for a traveling airline pilot is using the check in feature on longer overnights to see if any friends/colleagues chime in nearby.

Several years ago (like 10) in college, Facebook used to be this amazing place to share all of your experiences of drunken debauchery and other weekend tomfoolery in a somewhat private environment that wasn't taken too seriously. But those days are long gone. Over the years it went public and has devolved into a wasteland of click bait time wasting crap, odd political/philosophical posts from acquaintances you don't really care to know on that level, and people trying to desperately sell ridiculous makeup/skin products. The only reason I still have one is to validate my bumble account.

To the OP: I would change my name to not reflect my full name and make everything private as you can. If for some crazy reason an airline asked about it during an interview I would just tell them I occasionally check it to keep up with family pictures and funny animal memes.

Mesabah
01-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Regardless of your privacy settings, Facebook will turn over everything to another fortune 500 company advertising partner, including your private messages, and browsing history. They deny this is happening, but they are lying. Company's are not going to pay millions to Facebook for its garbage advertising platform, if it didn't have perks.

at6d
01-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Iíve decided this year to reduce or totally abandon social media, maybe just keep FB to family and close friends/work groups.

kansas
01-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Delete the inflammatory stuff.
Lock down the privacy settings.
STOP making religious and political posts. All they do is annoy people anyway!

Al Czervik
01-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Honestly I wouldn't even bother with Facebook anymore. The only useful aspect for a traveling airline pilot is using the check in feature on longer overnights to see if any friends/colleagues chime in nearby.

Several years ago (like 10) in college, Facebook used to be this amazing place to share all of your experiences of drunken debauchery and other weekend tomfoolery in a somewhat private environment that wasn't taken too seriously. But those days are long gone. Over the years it went public and has devolved into a wasteland of click bait time wasting crap, odd political/philosophical posts from acquaintances you don't really care to know on that level, and people trying to desperately sell ridiculous makeup/skin products. The only reason I still have one is to validate my bumble account.

To the OP: I would change my name to not reflect my full name and make everything private as you can. If for some crazy reason an airline asked about it during an interview I would just tell them I occasionally check it to keep up with family pictures and funny animal memes.

Dude, did you just say tomfoolery?

Albief15
01-27-2018, 10:28 PM

He is working up to "Shenanigans"

HwkrPlt
01-28-2018, 04:36 AM
Does anyone know if deactivating your account removes posts from other pages?

Han Solo
01-28-2018, 04:49 AM
Regardless of your privacy settings, Facebook will turn over everything to another fortune 500 company advertising partner, including your private messages, and browsing history. They deny this is happening, but they are lying. Company's are not going to pay millions to Facebook for its garbage advertising platform, if it didn't have perks.

I agree that THE MAN has it in for us, but who would ever be hired if this were true? I cleaned mine up to the best of my ability before my interview, but if FB and big companies were in on some grand scheme then they'd have found so much garbage on me I wouldn't be hired by Wal-Mart let alone a major airline.

Pretty much everybody has done stuff (and to a lesser extent then posted it on social media) they'd rather not discuss during a job interview, it's called being human. While I agree SM is pretty much a complete waste of life and we'd be significantly better off without it, I don't think today's applicants need to be too worried about their private posts if for no other reason that most people are in the same boat.

Be responsible, look at your SM from the perspective of a potential employer. Clean it up and privatize, and most applicants can move on to worry about more important things.

ceelo
01-28-2018, 06:40 AM
I've never posted anything I really think is offensive, but there are some political posts, and perhaps some off color items shared (Like a Sam Kinison video of his stand up).

oh, so you're a racist.

thanks for letting us know! I just find it funny how racist people are fine with being ignorant in "private" but then want to run and hide whenever spotlight is shined on them.

Learflyer
01-28-2018, 06:47 AM
oh, so you're a racist.

thanks for letting us know! I just find it funny how racist people are fine with being ignorant in "private" but then want to run and hide whenever spotlight is shined on them.

Eff off millennial. Howíd you glean that from his post? Sam Kinison was hysterical by the way. Weenie.

FLYMIA
01-28-2018, 07:06 AM
lol. I wish this place had a like button sometimes.

ceelo
01-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Eff off millennial. Howíd you glean that from his post? Sam Kinison was hysterical by the way. Weenie.

sam kinison was a dirty racist. he's the very definition of a basement dwelling loser you'd find on 4chan. crying about homosexuals and african people isn't funny.

and since when is millennial an insult?

Learflyer
01-28-2018, 07:11 AM
sam kinison was a dirty racist. he's the very definition of a basement dwelling loser you'd find on 4chan. crying about homosexuals and african people isn't funny.

And use proper capitalization in my presence.

ceelo
01-28-2018, 07:14 AM
And use proper capitalization in my presence.

sorry, i tend not to care if racists like you and the op care about the way someone types on the internet

dmeg13021
01-28-2018, 07:27 AM
I watched Fat Albert as a kid, so Iím not racist, just a serial predator

at6d
01-28-2018, 07:35 AM
crying about homosexuals and african people isn't funny.

Really? You started a thread complaining about affirmative action! Troll much?

Is the aviation industry racist against white men?

Think about it. I have dozens of male white friends that have been working at regionals for years, and the majors won't even look in their direction.

Meanwhile, I have female and non white male friends who could work at a regional for a couple months and be sucked up by a major. It was the same when they were CFIs, and they got hired by the regionals the instant that they got their minimum ratings.

I get that diversity is a good thing, but isn't it a little unfair when female/PoC aviators get special treatment over white male aviators?

ceelo
01-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Really? You started a thread complaining about affirmative action! Troll much?

it was a hypothetical question used to see what some pilots actually thought about the way that airlines hire people.

calling others trolls just because they have a different opinion though? classy.

ebl14
01-28-2018, 07:44 AM
Wow, that escalated quickly! On topic... if you like an airlines page that administrator can see your page even if you are locked down to ďfriends onlyĒ. If you join the airlines recruiting page, fully expect your page to be scrutinized.

John Carr
01-28-2018, 07:49 AM

With the potential of a kerfuffle.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Everything is racist.

Especially when idiots these days have no idea the word Ďbigotí is the correct word to use every single time their idiot asses use the word Ďracistí instead.

Stupid millennial

jcountry
01-28-2018, 07:54 AM

Since millennials moved back into mommy and daddyís basements....

Dinner ready in 5, jr..... Mommy finished ironing your skinny jeans as well. Oh, and she just packed your skateboard into your backpack for your next trip, bro..... Along with a nice juice box, of course.

(What an obnoxious generation. Should have been called the Irritating Orange Gen.)

42jeff
01-28-2018, 08:23 AM

http://i.imgur.com/E0Ky4Yp.jpg

PotatoChip
01-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Since millennials moved back into mommy and daddyís basements....

Dinner ready in 5, jr..... Mommy finished ironing your skinny jeans as well. Oh, and she just packed your skateboard into your backpack for your next trip, bro..... Along with a nice juice box, of course.

(What an obnoxious generation. Should have been called the Irritating Orange Gen.)

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101314/what-does-current-cost-living-compare-20-years-ago.asp

This is why many have moved back in...
The cost of housing has outpaced that of regular inflation by nearly 50% while wages have barely kept pace with inflation. A dollar today has significantly less buying power than 20 years ago, especially in regard to housing. Those are facts. How can you blame that on millennials?

I wonít be even get started on the cost of education (over 300% increases) and the fact previous generations have made the bachelor degree a new high school diploma for many entry-level jobs. Before you cast stones at an ENTIRE generation, please take the time to understand some history.

(Iím not, however, defending college ďsafe-spacesĒ, thatís just ridiculous.)

GogglesPisano
01-28-2018, 08:44 AM
ďLikingĒ a page on FB does not give them access to your FB page. They see whatever the public sees.

tinman1
01-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Everything is racist.

Especially when idiots these days have no idea the word Ďbigotí is the correct word to use every single time their idiot asses use the word Ďracistí instead.

Stupid millennial

#triggered 😂

Han Solo
01-28-2018, 09:55 AM

Lighten up Francis. You're going to be in trouble when you don't have a word to describe a real racist. Finally to answer your question, it became an insult when so many of them have taken on the ignorant beliefs you've just expressed.

VegasChris
01-28-2018, 10:07 AM
ďLikingĒ a page on FB does not give them access to your FB page. They see whatever the public sees.

I work for the county and they use the police department detective backround investigators that have pretty much unlimited access to facebook to include private pages or anything that is on lockdown.

That being said the majors do not have that kind of access, but the FAA probably does. Keep your page as private as possible and they should not be able to see anything.

I have heard of employers making you log into your facebook on their computer and let them go through the entire thing.

Mover
01-28-2018, 10:15 AM
I work for the county and they use the police department detective backround investigators that have pretty much unlimited access to facebook to include private pages or anything that is on lockdown.

That being said the majors do not have that kind of access, but the FAA probably does. Keep your page as private as possible and they should not be able to see anything.

I have heard of employers making you log into your facebook on their computer and let them go through the entire thing.

Not a single thing you just posted is correct.

And I wouldn't want to work for a company that makes you log into Facebook so they can go through it.

GogglesPisano
01-28-2018, 10:50 AM

So what Federal law allows the FAA the right to circumvent a company’s privacy agreement with its customers? Law enforcement may have access but I’d bet (hope) a warrant would be required.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Lighten up Francis. You're going to be in trouble when you don't have a word to describe a real racist. Finally to answer your question, it became an insult when so many of them have taken on the ignorant beliefs you've just expressed.

Get out a dictionary and look up both words. You will see I am right.

If people are gonna be idiots, they should at least try to be somewhat literate.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 11:38 AM
So what Federal law allows the FAA the right to circumvent a companyís privacy agreement with its customers? Law enforcement may have access but Iíd bet (hope) a warrant would be required.

Not really.

There is no Ďright to privacy.í People often confuse the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure (4th amendment) with some imagined right to privacy. ĎExpectation of privacyí is an entirely different concept, and doesnít rise to the level of being a right.

There are many ways around FBís privacy settings. Law enforcement can easily get around them with a warrant, but there are many other ways. Anyone of your FB Ďfriendsí can copy and repost anything, for example.

Another little-known gem is that clicking ĎI Agreeí when you install a game or an app resets all kinds of privacy settings, and all you info is now up for sale to any 3rd party willing to cough up a buck or two.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 11:44 AM
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101314/what-does-current-cost-living-compare-20-years-ago.asp

The cost of housing has outpaced that of regular inflation by nearly 50% while wages have barely kept pace with inflation. A dollar today has significantly less buying power than 20 years ago, especially in regard to housing. Those are facts. How can you blame that on millennials?

I won’t be even get started on the cost of education (over 300% increases) and the fact previous generations have made the bachelor degree a new high school diploma for many entry-level jobs. Before you cast stones at an ENTIRE generation, please take the time to understand some history.

(I’m not, however, defending college “safe-spaces”, that’s just ridiculous.)

Of course I don’t mean to mischaracterize the whole generation, but many of the ones I know are just usesless as hell. Try getting any of them to mow a yard or paint a room.....

And come on, mommy and daddy paid for college-every cent.....

We all had it rough when we were starting out, but our expectations fit reality better. These snowflakes all want brand new cars and they want a closet full of 10k worth of clothes plus the latest 1k phone with contract.....

Every single millennial I know has had a cellphone less than a year old since they were in the 5th grade (or earlier,) and mommy has paid it plus the contract. Plus the new car. Every single one I know. (None of them has ever paid one cent toward their communication/internet surfing fun.)

There’s your house payment.

GogglesPisano
01-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Not really.

There is no ‘right to privacy.’ People often confuse the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure (4th amendment) with some imagined right to privacy. ‘Expectation of privacy’ is an entirely different concept, and doesn’t rise to the level of being a right.

There are many ways around FB’s privacy settings. Law enforcement can easily get around them with a warrant, but there are many other ways. Anyone of your FB ‘friends’ can copy and repost anything, for example.

Another little-known gem is that clicking ‘I Agree’ when you install a game or an app resets all kinds of privacy settings, and all you info is now up for sale to any 3rd party willing to cough up a buck or two.

I never mentioned anything about rights. I mentioned an agreement between two parties (FB and its user.) And I agree, only a fool would allow an app access to all of your FB data.

A previous poster suggested the FAA could access your private FB data. That's tinfoil hat-level paranoia.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 12:43 PM
I never mentioned anything about rights. I mentioned an agreement between two parties (FB and its user.) And I agree, only a fool would allow an app access to all of your FB data.

A previous poster suggested the FAA could access your private FB data. That's tinfoil hat-level paranoia.

I’m not sure about the FAA, but I know someone who is a high level cyber security expert. A senior engineer in the field.

He said anything on FB or in an email should be considered public. Said you shouldn’t put anything there you wouldn’t want on a sign in your front yard. He’s the kind of guy who would know

I think FB sells a lot of stuff to shady 3rd parties. Ever notice how fast a terrorism suspect’s entire profile hits the news? That happens without a warrant.... And FB makes coin.

As far as the FAA, they do track down everything you have done for 48 to 72 hours prior to an accident or serious incident. Not sure how that works with social media, but they do look at credit card transactions, video surveillance and hotel room key history. That is very real.

SactisbonesBJ
01-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Ah dont worry, Delta will still hire you with whatever crap you have on facebook. They like confederate flags.

Oh and dont tell anyone but they can only see what's on the National Driver Registry, so no need to self confess those little things that are on your record.

PotatoChip
01-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Of course I donít mean to mischaracterize the whole generation, but many of the ones I know are just usesless as hell. Try getting any of them to mow a yard or paint a room.....

We all had it rough when we were starting out, but our expectations fit reality better. These snowflakes all want brand new cars and they want a closet full of 10k worth of clothes plus the latest 1k phone with contract.....

Every single millennial I know has had a cellphone less than a year old since they were in the 5th grade (or earlier,) and mommy has paid it plus the contract. Plus the new car. Every single one I know. (None of them has ever paid one cent toward their communication/internet surfing fun.)

Thereís your house payment.

Wow. Well, the parents you know seem to be the problem, not the kids. Read what you wrote. The PARENTS. How can you yell about millennials over and over when clearly itís parents who created the ones you seem to have so much vitriol for??

You should maybe broaden your friends. I know plenty of hard-working men and women in their 20s and 30s who are in heavy college debt and trying to make a living. I know others who were smart enough to get into a trade and make more money than I do with no debt.

SonicFlyer
01-28-2018, 01:01 PM

I wonít be even get started on the cost of education (over 300% increases) and the fact previous generations have made the bachelor degree a new high school diploma for many entry-level jobs. Before you cast stones at an ENTIRE generation, please take the time to understand some history.

(Iím not, however, defending college ďsafe-spacesĒ, thatís just ridiculous.)Exactly.... the bad economics of the last (lost) decade was the fault of previous generations.

And the thievery is just now getting started too.

In the not-so-distant future the baby-boomer generation will begin to wholesale rob the younger generations to pay for their retirement. A true Ponzi scheme.

Any wonder millennials feel like they can't get ahead?

SonicFlyer
01-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Of course I donít mean to mischaracterize the whole generation, but many of the ones I know are just usesless as hell. Try getting any of them to mow a yard or paint a room.....

Thereís your house payment.
Actually the government is paying for most people's colleges these days, it is why it is so expensive. Government socializes the cost of education which causes prices to be raised.

Also, millenials have been told since they were in kindergarten "go to college and get a degree so that you don't have to work at McDonalds".... and then when many of them got out of college, McDonalds was the only job available to them.

Mesabah
01-28-2018, 01:11 PM
I agree that THE MAN has it in for us, but who would ever be hired if this were true? I cleaned mine up to the best of my ability before my interview, but if FB and big companies were in on some grand scheme then they'd have found so much garbage on me I wouldn't be hired by Wal-Mart let alone a major airline.

Pretty much everybody has done stuff (and to a lesser extent then posted it on social media) they'd rather not discuss during a job interview, it's called being human. While I agree SM is pretty much a complete waste of life and we'd be significantly better off without it, I don't think today's applicants need to be too worried about their private posts if for no other reason that most people are in the same boat.

Be responsible, look at your SM from the perspective of a potential employer. Clean it up and privatize, and most applicants can move on to worry about more important things.It's for research only, they can't take action against you with that information. Even the NSA was allowing private companies to query private individuals in their database. Until the current administration put a stop to it, the airline could have pulled years worth of cell phone transcripts, telemetry data, emails, messages, etc. Totally unconstitutional, but it happened.

jcountry
01-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Wow. Well, the parents you know seem to be the problem, not the kids. Read what you wrote. The PARENTS. How can you yell about millennials over and over when clearly itís parents who created the ones you seem to have so much vitriol for??

You should maybe broaden your friends. I know plenty of hard-working men and women in their 20s and 30s who are in heavy college debt and trying to make a living. I know others who were smart enough to get into a trade and make more money than I do with no debt.

The parents are a major part of the issue..... but a lot of kids are playing mommy and daddy like a fiddle.

I canít imagine ever shaking that much $$$$ our of my parents. I mean good God.

Iím glad you know some good ones. I canít think of many. I totally agree about the trades. A guy with an HVAC cert would way out earn his peers quickly....

tomgoodman
01-28-2018, 01:26 PM
In the not-so-distant future the baby-boomer generation will begin to wholesale rob the younger generations to pay for their retirement.

Boomers no longer constitute the majority of voters. ;)

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-2017/boomer-minority-electorate-fd.html

Floobs
01-28-2018, 03:03 PM

Is this what you would call a troll?

HwkrPlt
01-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Well, this thread went full APC....

ceelo
01-28-2018, 05:22 PM

I rightfully called you out on saying offensive things in private and then getting scared when a potential employer may find out and I got called troll, and millenial. (still don't understand out it's an insult, jcountry)

More on topic, I hope this is a lesson to you. You can hide and delete all you want, but if you post something on the internet, chances are it can still be dug up somewhere.

Maybe keep that in mind the next time you decide to share your racist and homophobic memes. Have a good day!

tinman1
01-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Is this what you would call a troll?

Very much so

tinman1
01-28-2018, 05:53 PM
I totally agree about the trades. A guy with an HVAC cert would way out earn his peers quickly....

I'm 31 and IMO those in my high school graduating class who skipped college and went with a trade are on average way further ahead than those of us who went to college, had to take out student loans, and had no chance at a modest income throughout our 20s. I know several guys in that boat who were able to take advantage of the housing downturn and buy cheap homes so that they could come out way ahead in equity and not have any amount of crushing college debt. That is huge for those wanting to settle down and start a family before they get on the other side of 35.

at6d
01-28-2018, 06:39 PM
it was a hypothetical question used to see what some pilots actually thought about the way that airlines hire people.

calling others trolls just because they have a different opinion though? classy.

The question ďtroll much?Ē is a question regarding an action, not name-calling.

Whatís my opinion? Thatís right. You donít know.

Mesabah
01-28-2018, 07:20 PM
They need to lay off the Tide pods.

ShyGuy
01-28-2018, 09:27 PM

I still can't believe that actually became a thing among millennials :eek:

MaxQ
01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
It's for research only, they can't take action against you with that information. Even the NSA was allowing private companies to query private individuals in their database. Until the current administration put a stop to it, the airline could have pulled years worth of cell phone transcripts, telemetry data, emails, messages, etc. Totally unconstitutional, but it happened.

There is at least one case in front of Supreme court now regarding what Government can do.

Unfortunately it has already been established that Private companies can access pretty much anything you do with your electronic devices and credit cards and personal travel. I will admit that I don't know what level of "intent of use" they must have to acquire this data.
While I consider it outrageous, the only protection we have against a corporations intrusion is the US postal service. Electronic media, including emails, don't have this level of assumed privacy.

jcountry
02-01-2018, 03:11 AM
There is at least one case in front of Supreme court now regarding what Government can do.

Unfortunately it has already been established that Private companies can access pretty much anything you do with your electronic devices and credit cards and personal travel. I will admit that I don't know what level of "intent of use" they must have to acquire this data.
While I consider it outrageous, the only protection we have against a corporations intrusion is the US postal service. Electronic media, including emails, don't have this level of assumed privacy.

Itís all fair game.

Especially for those who havenít been hired yet.

Much like credit reports. You can say Ďdonít check credití and they will very likely just move to the next guy. People with ****ed up credit wonít necessarily make bad employees-especially if they have had unusual financial challenges, vs those whoís mommy and daddy paid for everything.

I would just be careful on social media and stay away from politics and work. I can think of more than a couple of people in other industries who have gotten fired by posting really stupid stuff about customers and/or co workers. I do think a social media search is a pretty legit thing for a prospective employer to do. Stupid Facebook posts by employees can get them in legal trouble too.

at6d
02-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Wait till the memo comes out tomorrow! 🤦

SactisbonesBJ
02-01-2018, 09:55 PM

I still can't believe that actually became a thing among millennials :eek:

Those are Gen Z, not millennials...

ceelo
02-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Those are Gen Z, not millennials...

shhh. let the grumpy baby boomers have their moment

ShyGuy
02-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Gen Zs is that what they are called? Z as in Zzzzzz because they are too lazy ;)

deadseal
02-02-2018, 08:56 PM
My guns and my money!!!!

rickair7777
02-03-2018, 11:48 AM

(Iím not, however, defending college ďsafe-spacesĒ, thatís just ridiculous.)

Depends on where you want to live. Most of the "highly desirable" places have filled up, driving prices up. There are still parts of the country with plenty of room, low COL, and growing employment opportunities.

It's understandably a hard pill for kids who grew up in those areas and can't afford to stay.

Baradium
02-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Depends on where you want to live. Most of the "highly desirable" places have filled up, driving prices up. There are still parts of the country with plenty of room, low COL, and growing employment opportunities.

It's understandably a hard pill for kids who grew up in those areas and can't afford to stay.

I think you've touched on something substantial there. In previous generations people would move to where they needed to go to be successful. They might have a place they wanted to come back to, but that wasn't even secondary in their decisions. The current generation picks where they want to live and will accept nothing else.

THEKERNALKLINK
02-03-2018, 11:35 PM

Tnx

Everything is a minefield even after you are hired! The world is full of baiters who are trolling for a reason to destroy other people they deem worthy of destruction. For every bakery who refused to bake a cake for the local lesbian wedding, their were 9 who offered to do so gladly, but the social justice warriors shopped until they could be suitably offended.

Social Media is full of people like this, so anything you tweet, retweet, or post can result in a letter writing campaign to end your career. ?Thus I relish and remain content in my roll as the "crazy uncle" at the Thanksgiving table, and nothing more.

RhinoPherret
02-04-2018, 04:11 AM
Everything is a minefield even after you are hired! The world is full of baiters who are trolling for a reason to destroy other people they deem worthy of destruction. For every bakery who refused to bake a cake for the local lesbian wedding, their were 9 who offered to do so gladly, but the social justice warriors shopped until they could be suitably offended.

Social Media is full of people like this, so anything you tweet, retweet, or post can result in a letter writing campaign to end your career. ?Thus I relish and remain content in my roll as the "crazy uncle" at the Thanksgiving table, and nothing more.
Ah yes. The good old social media terrorist gangs and the Butthurt Brigades.

Social media terrorist groups (seems like an appropriate term for these folks) will ram their biases and beliefs down your throat, try to shame, destroy, and run you out of town if you differ with them. The modern version of the old-time lynch mob is alive and kicking in this disguised new format.

The Butthurt Brigades; well, they just love to spend all of their time (obviously donít have much of a life) searching for anything that they can make into the ďI am so butthurtĒ mode and then rant how holier than thou they are (which they are not). Then they employ the good old lynch mob process.

Yes folks. Once again, the old adage; ďthe more things change, the more they stay the sameĒ seems most apt. .

aiir
02-04-2018, 05:05 AM
No one is going in and reading your private messages on Facebook haha! Thatís a ridiculous breach of privacy which is on a whole other level beyond employment checks. Lol

If we apply common sense, we would reach the conclusion that if Facebook was selling that type of access, a scandal would have erupted by now due to a leak somewhere, and Facebook would lose all sorts of business. Nah, the truth is that they need you, they need us to be wasting our time there. If they break that pact, someone else will rise up and replace them, and they donít want that which is why you constantly see them tweaking their privacy settings and providing little tutorials for us on how to keep our accounts secure. Lol

Employers at most can see what your friends can see. Thatís it.

Also, say if you follow certain pages and write comments on such pages, that remains public, this is for any public page, so if you lose your marbles and write an angry post on the Wal-Mart page, well that can pop up in the future, lol. Or if a friend of yours has their profile set to public, any comment you do on his page and any photos he puts up of you are also fair game.

A good tip to avoid anyone finding you is to use a different email for your Facebook login than the one you use for your resume and job applications. It might also be a good idea not to list your current city. Also, on the Facebook page, on the security tab, you can set it so that no one can find you via your email or phone number. On this tab you can also opt out of search engines linking to your profile. This is of course if your employer doesnít straight out ask for your social media info. Iíve had this happen on non aviation related jobs, and I donít know about the airlines since Iím just starting out.

Anyways, I myself Iím not super active on social media but as Iím late 20s I do post a few photos here and there of my travels and hobbies since for my generation itís very strange when you have no social media presence...what a strange generation. Lol

Best of luck!

StrykerB21
02-04-2018, 06:11 AM
oh, so you're a racist.

Dude what?

AC560
02-04-2018, 10:22 AM
I hire people and I read your Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. I also check with people who know you. There is a lot of truth to the saying, it is who you know. If you donít know anyone and you put dumb stuff on your Facebook, adios resume.

While I donít hire airline pilots, I have taught more of you than I care to think about. Always excites me when people post a video of them violating some FAR on Facebook.

Donít be stupid, good luck!

ceelo
02-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Dude what?

I said what I said. Read it again if you don't understand.

captjns
02-05-2018, 05:48 AM
While I don’t hire airline pilots, I have taught more of you than I care to think about. Always excites me when people post a video of them violating some FAR on Facebook.

Don’t be stupid, good luck!

It cracks me up how many wannabe indcutees into the Charles Darwin Hall of Fame post on on media sites such as YouTube videos of themselves and their fellow crewmember in the cockpit especially below 10,000’ during Sterile Cockpit phase of flights. Yep... tuition can come at a high price.

rickair7777
02-05-2018, 06:08 AM
I hire people and I read your Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. I also check with people who know you. There is a lot of truth to the saying, it is who you know. If you donít know anyone and you put dumb stuff on your Facebook, adios resume.

While I donít hire airline pilots, I have taught more of you than I care to think about. Always excites me when people post a video of them violating some FAR on Facebook.

Donít be stupid, good luck!

This. Why would you not do at least a cursory online search? Or for a few bucks pay someone to do a thorough search... there are few to zero legal protections, and an outsourced background check provider would know all the loopholes and hacks.

As others have said, in your online life avoid right-leaning politics, extremist politics of any sort, drugs, crime, reckless behavior, insensitivity to diversity, or any insensitivity of any sort.

That last is important, some airlines are trying to enhance customer experience and that starts with front-line employees. They (understandably) want pilots to present at a minimum the people skills and empathy of a receptionist at a high-end white-collar office.

SUX4U
02-05-2018, 08:48 AM
This. Why would you not do at least a cursory online search? Or for a few bucks pay someone to do a thorough search... there are few to zero legal protections, and an outsourced background check provider would know all the loopholes and hacks.

As others have said, in your online life avoid right-leaning politics, extremist politics of any sort, drugs, crime, reckless behavior, insensitivity to diversity, or any insensitivity of any sort.

That last is important, some airlines are trying to enhance customer experience and that starts with front-line employees. They (understandably) want pilots to present at a minimum the people skills and empathy of a receptionist at a high-end white-collar office.

All good points. Iím no longer on Facebook, but remember numerous ďfriendsĒ posting combative political articles and engaging in arguments with their ďfriendsĒ. It sure was easy to know what to do when asked by these ďfriendsĒ for a letter of rec. Iíd say I ignored maybe 7-10 requests all due to very poor behavior on Facebook. I know I wasnít the only one to do the same.

PotatoChip
02-05-2018, 12:17 PM

As others have said, in your online life avoid right-leaning politics,extremist politics of any sort, drugs, crime, reckless behavior, insensitivity to diversity, or any insensitivity of any sort.

Wait... you canít even be a Republican anymore??
Thatís taking it too far.

(I donít post anything political).

rickair7777
02-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Wait... you canít even be a Republican anymore??
Thatís taking it too far.

(I donít post anything political).

Understand your target audience. HR people...

PotatoChip
02-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Understand your target audience. HR people...

Fine. But you are lumping ALL Republicans into the white-pride, biggot, anti-LGBT basket. Not all are Mike Pence. Many are simply fiscally conservative folks who attend church on Sunday.
Oh, I guess people shouldnít post that they attend church, either?

Itís simple.
Donít post hateful or insensitive comments. Be nice.
If HR truly wants a diverse group wouldnít they hire Republicans? Or is ďdiverseĒ just Democrats and minorities?
SMH.

ceelo
02-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Fine. But you are lumping ALL Republicans into the white-pride, biggot, anti-LGBT basket. Not all are Mike Pence. Many are simply fiscally conservative folks who attend church on Sunday.

Itís simple.
If HR truly wants a diverse group wouldnít they hire Republicans? Or is ďdiverseĒ just Democrats and minorities?
SMH.

Lol. Obviously being a Republican isn't "mainstream" online. Get mad at him all you want but he's right.

rickair7777
02-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Itís simple.
SMH.

You're shooting the messenger. Just my observations, I didn't say I was happy about it. Feel free to disregard.

Mesabah
02-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Who can keep track of all the triggers that SJWs will attack you over? I deleted 99% of my online footprint after I saw what was coming years ago.

PotatoChip
02-05-2018, 04:36 PM
You're shooting the messenger. Just my observations, I didn't say I was happy about it. Feel free to disregard.

Youíre right. Sorry.
Itís just ridiculous.

pete2800
02-07-2018, 03:41 PM
I'm a self-disclosing belligerent troll. My primary use of social media has been maximum inflammation for my own comedic satisfaction, usually directed at my friend group who are mostly just as uncaring as I am.

I still got hired. Take from that what you will. I honestly think social media is less important than people think it is.

Crown
02-08-2018, 06:15 AM
I think your digital footprint is something to keep in mind, but not stress too much over. Every one of us that has a Facebook account/a Twitter account/a MySpace account/an Instagram account has probably posted something somewhere that someone somewhere could be offended by.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about whoever your current employer is snooping through your social media. My previous employer had a lot of "rats" who would add you as a friend, then run to the CP and HR if you posted something disparaging about the company or any management people. You couldn't trust anyone.

I haven't deleted my FB page, but I'm very inactive on there now. It's a huge time suck and just not worth it. I'm sick of seeing everyone post their perfect life, their travels, their Brussels Sprouts they made, kids kids kids, and political opinions that no one asked for and don't change anyone's mind.

SonicFlyer
02-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Personally, I'd be more concerned about whoever your current employer is snooping through your social media. My previous employer had a lot of "rats" who would add you as a friend, then run to the CP and HR if you posted something disparaging about the company or any management people. You couldn't trust anyone.

I don't actually add anyone to my FB that I work with, so that solves that problem. Also I never disparage my employer or give too many details about my specific gig on Facebook. Besides, disparaging an employer makes you look bad to future potential employers.

If people do those two things, it will go a long way to being protected.

rickair7777
02-08-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm a self-disclosing belligerent troll. My primary use of social media has been maximum inflammation for my own comedic satisfaction, usually directed at my friend group who are mostly just as uncaring as I am.

I still got hired. Take from that what you will. I honestly think social media is less important than people think it is.

It's not the end-all, be-all, but once it's out there you can never take it back. I would say aggressive social-media vetting by airlines is a very recent thing, last couple of years. Also have heard of recruiters asking you to friend them... that may become the norm, and there's absolutely no recourse on your part but to comply (unless you want your job prospects for that employer to end at that time).

For those who are not at their career-destination, and have not already created a non-politically correct online presence, it's probably in your best interest to tread lightly.

jcountry
02-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Ah yes. The good old social media terrorist gangs and the Butthurt Brigades.

Social media terrorist groups (seems like an appropriate term for these folks) will ram their biases and beliefs down your throat, try to shame, destroy, and run you out of town if you differ with them. The modern version of the old-time lynch mob is alive and kicking in this disguised new format.

The Butthurt Brigades; well, they just love to spend all of their time (obviously donít have much of a life) searching for anything that they can make into the ďI am so butthurtĒ mode and then rant how holier than thou they are (which they are not). Then they employ the good old lynch mob process.

Yes folks. Once again, the old adage; ďthe more things change, the more they stay the sameĒ seems most apt. .

Yep.

Social media is definitely a force multiplier for *******s.

Bahamasflyer
02-09-2018, 02:05 PM
It's not the end-all, be-all, but once it's out there you can never take it back. I would say aggressive social-media vetting by airlines is a very recent thing, last couple of years. Also have heard of recruiters asking you to friend them... that may become the norm, and there's absolutely no recourse on your part but to comply (unless you want your job prospects for that employer to end at that time).

For those who are not at their career-destination, and have not already created a non-politically correct online presence, it's probably in your best interest to tread lightly.

That really comes close,.if not already crosses an invasion of privacy line.

If a recruiter asks, why not just hide/deactivate your FB page until you are hired and tell him/her you don't have one.

How will they know if it's hidden/deactivated?

rickair7777
02-09-2018, 03:36 PM

If a recruiter asks, why not just hide/deactivate your FB page until you are hired and tell him/her you don't have one.

Call the supreme court, complain that your constitutional right to privacy is being violated! I Got Rights!

Oh wait... that doesn't exist.

There are some statutory protections but (similar to the 1st. Amendment) those protect your from the government, not from potential employers.

The precedent is that employers can do all the research on you which they like (some state laws set limits on consideration of things like criminal records and bankruptcy). Looking at social media falls under that by default.

This is actually just another example of technology getting way far out ahead of of legal and cultural systems. You think that's bad, do know what Big Data knows (and shares) about you? And what they hope to do with that data? Siri will know what you want without you even asking...

jcountry
02-09-2018, 06:32 PM

There is no expectation of privacy for anything online. Especially social media stuff.

There are data aggregators like Experian or equifax which can spot all these accounts. And everything you ever post is archived. I mean everything.

I donít do a lot of social media stuff. Who cares what I ate? Or what I got my cat for Christmas???

In general, itís a good idea to avoid anything controversial on FB. You are just gonna **** off a bunch of your friends with stupid stuff you never would discuss in person. Whatís the point?

Bahamasflyer
02-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Sorry, I should have made my previous post more clear....

While there is no question that this is legal according to the letter of the law, doesn't make it the RIGHT thing to do.

There are a lot of actions that are not against the law, but are still wrong. I mean, if I were to talk smack about your kids, that's certainly not against the law, but I sure as hell know you would not take kindly to it, and rightfully so.

Just to clarify, because I think I left this ambiguous in my previous post.....

I have no problem with any employer searching for my presence online......what I DO take issue with on the other hand is said employers asking to "friend" you on social media as a condition of being considered for employment.

Again while that is certainly not illegal, myself and I'm sure many many others think it's absolutely morally wrong and inappropriate etiquette.

rickair7777
02-10-2018, 07:23 AM
Sorry, I should have made my previous post more clear....

While there is no question that this is legal according to the letter of the law, doesn't make it the RIGHT thing to do.

There are a lot of actions that are not against the law, but are still wrong. I mean, if I were to talk smack about your kids, that's certainly not against the law, but I sure as hell know you would not take kindly to it, and rightfully so.

Just to clarify, because I think I left this ambiguous in my previous post.....

I have no problem with any employer searching for my presence online......what I DO take issue with on the other hand is said employers asking to "friend" you on social media as a condition of being considered for employment.

Again while that is certainly not illegal, myself and I'm sure many many others think it's absolutely morally wrong and inappropriate etiquette.

Your post was fine, I was trying to highlight the underlying issue... tech has outpaced the legal system, and the cultural system.

But if you're looking for ethical behavior from employers, you may be in the wrong industry.

Mesabah
02-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Your post was fine, I was trying to highlight the underlying issue... tech has outpaced the legal system, and the cultural system.

But if you're looking for ethical behavior from employers, you may be in the wrong industry.
The sad thing is that these days, the airlines are probably the most ethical of employers.

Han Solo
02-17-2018, 04:53 AM
The sad thing is that these days, the airlines are probably the most ethical of employers.

Ethical is a really wide playing field. I would guess that most of what we call "ethical treatment" by airlines is because of a rigorously enforced PWA. Airlines are no different than any other major corporation, with the major exception of an educated work force that stands united.

Jet Blue is a perfect example. Nice product, good reputation with passengers, full of blue juice. They seem to think their stuff doesn't stink and they treated their pilots so poorly that they decided to unionize.

Crazy Canuck
02-20-2018, 02:37 AM
All I know is...the more of you bozos that rip Delta Pilot Recruitings Facebook page a new one for not giving you a ticket to the career fair...the better for me!!!

jcountry
02-20-2018, 06:21 AM
All I know is...the more of you bozos that rip Delta Pilot Recruitings Facebook page a new one for not giving you a ticket to the career fair...the better for me!!!

Wow...

People actually do that??

(Wait. Itís FB..... Iím not too surprised by anything I see there.)

Battlinbear21
02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Got lost after page 5. Just wanted to mention my Facebook, Twitter,and Instagram are all of a picture of me due to a bet I lost last year. Damn you Cowboys! We did it in watts instead of Harlem as I live our west now. It was close to the opening scene of Die Hard w Vengeance. Start class at a major next month.

cardiomd
02-25-2018, 05:32 PM

That is not true at all.

Correct.

I'd also add to watch what you post at APC. The extremist nutjobs here expose themselves pretty quickly, and would be not difficult to see them having difficulty interacting with a broad segment of society as required in many jobs (see 'triggered' posts above. :rolleyes:)

In my field there is the same concerns - nobody will go through your pages to see if you had a beer at age 20.5, but if you continually post crap about ANY group of people or extremist 'political' opinions on either side, you are setting yourself up to be at an extreme disadvantage, and rightly so.

Or, just don't believe that crap to begin with and be a decent person. If you can stand by your posts in public, you have little to worry about.

flysooner9
02-26-2018, 08:49 AM
At least one regional tried and successfully ID'd me prior to an interview. Careful what you post in public.

Al Czervik
02-26-2018, 10:17 AM
At least one regional tried and successfully ID'd me prior to an interview. Careful what you post in public.

What happened?

bizzlepilot
02-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Very curious to hear what happened and how you found out they ID'd you.

flysooner9
02-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Well for starters I was dumb and had my email very similar to my username. So I made it pretty easy for them. During the HR portion right after I answered the question ďwhy usĒ they pulled out a print out of a negative comment I had made about their contract. Needless to say it caught me by surprise.

So just be careful and always remember there is no such thing as anonymous on the Internet. Iíd say a general rule of thumb is to not lost anything you wouldnít say in front of anyone in person.

Al Czervik
02-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Well for starters I was dumb and had my email very similar to my username. So I made it pretty easy for them. During the HR portion right after I answered the question ďwhy usĒ they pulled out a print out of a negative comment I had made about their contract. Needless to say it caught me by surprise.

So just be careful and always remember there is no such thing as anonymous on the Internet. Iíd say a general rule of thumb is to not lost anything you wouldnít say in front of anyone in person.

You get the job?

flysooner9
02-26-2018, 03:11 PM
You get the job?

Not sure yet.

ceelo
02-26-2018, 04:36 PM

hHaahahahahahaHAHAha

rickair7777
02-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Well for starters I was dumb and had my email very similar to my username. So I made it pretty easy for them. During the HR portion right after I answered the question “why us” they pulled out a print out of a negative comment I had made about their contract. Needless to say it caught me by surprise.

So just be careful and always remember there is no such thing as anonymous on the Internet. I’d say a general rule of thumb is to not lost anything you wouldn’t say in front of anyone in person.

I get the sense that some of them live for that kind of stuff. Hopefully they need you more than you need them.

CAirBear
02-26-2018, 06:12 PM
I get the sense that some of them live for that kind of stuff. Hopefully they need you more than you need them.

Considering itís a regional I would say that is almost certainly the case lol!

Al Czervik
02-27-2018, 06:28 AM

Yup. I’ll bet the person who pulled that out was up all night excited to do it. TOTD.

hindsight2020
02-27-2018, 07:15 AM
What a bush league sector of the industry. And I thought part 91/small fry 135 was ad hoc. He'll get the job too in spite of that HR grandstanding. #Ican't

bizzlepilot
02-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Damn that would have confounded me as well. That's USAF survival training crap right there, straight out of the Limnadians playbook.

worstpilotever
02-28-2018, 05:03 AM
There is no expectation of privacy for anything online. Especially social media stuff.

There are data aggregators like Experian or equifax which can spot all these accounts. And everything you ever post is archived. I mean everything.

I donít do a lot of social media stuff. Who cares what I ate? Or what I got my cat for Christmas???

In general, itís a good idea to avoid anything controversial on FB. You are just gonna **** off a bunch of your friends with stupid stuff you never would discuss in person. Whatís the point?

So what did you get your cat for Xmas?

ShyGuy
02-28-2018, 05:08 AM
ďThank you for your answer of why us. Weíd just like to go over this one thing... [pulls out paper with APC post]. You wrote this about our contract! How dare you Sir. We here at ABC regional do not tolerate this kind of behavior, and hire only the best of the best who show up to interview......

So can you start Monday?Ē

tomgoodman
02-28-2018, 08:35 AM
So what did you get your cat for Xmas?

Mine just does a cat scan of the house and takes what he wants. :D

TransWorld
02-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Mine just does a cat scan of the house and takes what he wants. :D

My vet did that with my late dog. He was motionless and not breathing. I took him to the vet. The vet said my dog was dead.

I said, are you sure? He said let me run a more sophisticated test. He opened the door. In walked a feline, circled my dog 3 times, and walked out. No response.

I got my bill. Office visit, deceased dog $50. Second opinion, CAT scan $25.

It is an old joke, but worth it!

PRS Guitars
02-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Damn that would have confounded me as well. That's USAF survival training crap right there, straight out of the Limnadians playbook.

Thatís exactly what I thought! And by the way, one of many reasons I donít use social media (LinkedIn being the one exception).

Vincent Chase
03-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Thatís exactly what I thought! And by the way, one of many reasons I donít use social media (LinkedIn being the one exception).

If you're a SM addict (not to be confused with S&M...keep that private) you're gonna be viewed. I deleted my FB account before applying. Not that I think I did anything wrong, but some of the "friends" I had posted some questionable material. Guilt by association? Not for me. Not when I really wanted this job. YMMV.

CAirBear
03-01-2018, 04:02 PM
The amount of legacy retirements exceed the current number regional pilots (give or take).

Unless you are a complete and utter moron, who posts racist or politically charged BS all the time, chill out. Seriously.

At almost every airline it is a complete lottery ticket to even be selected by the computer/algorithm for an interview.

Iím 10 years into this career. Iím at my 3rd airline now (one on my top 3 list). I have certainly posted or shared some dumb BS at some point in time on SM (show me someone who hasnít). Iíve gotten 3 different airline jobs and never been asked once about anything.

I have lots of friends in the 9-5 corporate America world. SM is a big deal in that spectrum. The airlines? Iíve yet to meet anyone in this brotherhood whoís been told to F off because of what they posted on FB.

Again if your an idiot online thatís one thing, but most people act like the decent people they are. YMMV

TransWorld
03-01-2018, 06:47 PM
The amount of legacy retirements exceed the current number regional pilots (give or take).

Agreed by a lot. Put some numbers to it.

Over the next 20 years, US majors retirements will be about 50,000.

The amount of hiring over those next 20 years, all of North America is estimated at 90,000 per Boeing. This is retirements, attrition, and growth.

There are 20,000 regional pilots. Old rule of thumb is 10% lifers. That means 18,000 regional pilots interested in moving up.

Even if Boeing’s forecast is on the high side. (I don’t think it is.) — it just kind of takes one’s breath away.

A lot of new hires will have to get hired by the regionals and move up, or get hired directly by the majors like they did several decades ago.

Baradium
03-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Agreed by a lot. Put some numbers to it.

Over the next 20 years, US majors retirements will be about 50,000.

The amount of hiring over those next 20 years, all of North America is estimated at 90,000 per Boeing. This is retirements, attrition, and growth.

There are 20,000 regional pilots. Old rule of thumb is 10% lifers. That means 18,000 regional pilots interested in moving up.

Even if Boeingís forecast is on the high side. (I donít think it is.) ó it just kind of takes oneís breath away.

A lot of new hires will have to get hired by the regionals and move up, or get hired directly by the majors like they did several decades ago.

Let's say there are 18,000 at regionals looking to move on, and 50,000 pilots needed over 20 years. If we were to presume even distribution that is 2,500 pilots per year.

At 2,500 pilots per year it would take just over 7 years to deplete the regionals. But if you look at it another way, if regionals hired 2,500 pilots per year into their ranks the average time at a regional would end up being around 7 years.

If you use 90,000, we get to 4,500 pilots per year.

At 4,500 pilots per year the turnover of 18,000 pilots would be 4 years. So if regionals could actually hire 4,500 pilots per year, they could still hold a pilot on average for 4 years before they would go to a major and meet the numbers. Realistically you'd still have military pilots skipping the regionals so the actual number for them would be a bit lower.

With those numbers, the bottleneck isn't pilots going to regionals and building more time to go to majors, it's pilots getting their initial training and then the minimum hours to go to the regionals in the first place. If the initial training capacity was there, the timeline for pilots at regionals would seem fairly reasonable.

However, with that bottleneck, I still feel like the regionals will no longer be effective or sustainable in their current form. Rather than multiple certificates and pilot groups flying the same equipment, a single certificate is a more efficient use of pilots to move airplanes. Upgauging routes and reducing frequency is another method to do that. You need twice as many pilots to move 100 people from CMH - ATL with a 50 seat RJ than a C series 100. The scale applies going up including the 76 seaters as well. I think a lot of these communities that see 4-6 RJ flights a day have a big potential to see 2-3 larger mainline a/c partly just to reduce the crew demands.

TransWorld
03-02-2018, 06:00 AM
Baradium, well thought out. I agree.

On another thread awhile back I pulled out my crystal ball. I predicted in the next 5 - 10 years the number of pilots flying regionals will be half of what they are today and they will fly on one fourth the number of regional certificates. A real consolidation in the regionals.

A lot of 50 seaters will be parked, replaced by 76 seaters. Either PAX will increase or there will be fewer flights a day. (There will some small communities that can only support 50s a couple of times a day, they will stay like that.)

A number of the communities with 76 seaters will move up to the new 100 - 120 seat planes. I believe pilots with the majors will hold fast on scope, and these will be flown by the majors.

Once pay gets to something like 60 - 75% of the 737/320 group, some of the 76 seaters will move up and be flown by the majors, with this as a new pay group.

Check in middle of next decade to see how much of my crystal ball comes to pass.

SeamusTheHound
03-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Tnx

Major airlines don't hire you for your superior "stick and rudder" skills. They presume you already have those. Instead, they hire a career employee based largely on that candidate's personality and demeanor. In other words, personality and character matter.

If what you post on social media is incompatible with the company's stated values, then you may not be a good fit for that company. In many ways, that online profile is "who you are."

On the other hand, if what you display about yourself in your interview is completely different than the persona post on social media, then you are a deceptive person, a liar, who is not giving the prospective employer a clear indication of who you really are.

If you want to avoid having a potential employer find out that you actually aren't a good fit with their corporate values, then, by all means, keep your social media posts as private as possible. (It still means that you'll have to behave like a chameleon, probably by lying, in your interview, but at least you didn't give them easy info.)

Likewise, if you want to have a career with an employer who is a good fit with your own values, then be honest about your values and only apply to employers who are a good fit. Ask yourself why you view the world in a way that is different from your prospective employer. Would you really want to work there? Do they really want you working there? Ask yourself why you would feel compelled to mask your worldview from an airline that doesn't value the same things that you do.

It's like creating an online dating profile that is completely antithetical to your real life, all just to date someone who is completely incompatible with you. Why?

FWIW, I doubt that airlines are actually checking social media posts, unless there is something about an applicant that indicates a possible "red flag."

100LL
03-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Because of the amount of people who get offended at EVERYTHING with hurt feelings these days, I recommend you make a second social media account, the real you and the "other" you that can't be traced back to you. Notice the number of people who lost their jobs all around the country because they wanted to speak their mind. Whether it was good or bad they still got in trouble over it. So keep your real profile clean and nice and use your other one as a ghost you. Many don't want to deal with it but in light to super sensitive people it has shifted to a 2 or more profile world.

HwkrPlt
03-05-2018, 01:29 PM

Were those comments on here or on your personal FB page?

flysooner9
03-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Were those comments on here or on your personal FB page?

On the other popular aviation forum.

ceelo
03-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Because of the amount of people who get offended at EVERYTHING with hurt feelings these days, I recommend you make a second social media account, the real you and the "other" you that can't be traced back to you. Notice the number of people who lost their jobs all around the country because they wanted to speak their mind. Whether it was good or bad they still got in trouble over it. So keep your real profile clean and nice and use your other one as a ghost you. Many don't want to deal with it but in light to super sensitive people it has shifted to a 2 or more profile world.

If you have to make a 2nd account just to broadcast your ignorant views then the problem is you not anyone else.

What's there to hide? Can you not stand up for your own beliefs?

Acutally, I don't even know why I asked that question. Of course you can't!

ShyGuy
03-06-2018, 12:59 PM
There is no such thing as a 2nd account anonymity when it comes to online forums. Everything can be traced back to you. Like the guy said above, if what you have to say requires you to create a separate account then the problem is you. Stand up and own what you write.

ceelo
03-07-2018, 08:38 AM
There is no such thing as a 2nd account anonymity when it comes to online forums. Everything can be traced back to you. Like the guy said above, if what you have to say requires you to create a separate account then the problem is you. Stand up and own what you write.

Most of these people are cowards. They love making fun of millennials and minorities when the truth is they're the biggest babies of all.

Mesabah
03-07-2018, 08:53 AM
There is a double standard when it comes to how liberals can behave on social media compared to conservatives. If that weren't the case, conservatives wouldn't need sock puppet accounts.

Shrek
03-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Do you want a FB or a major airline job ? After you get to your career destination go ahead and get that all important FB account LoL. It might or might not cost you millions of dollars in lifetime wages and retirement if you choose wrongly. Do I think itís a big deal? Nope but as long as your employer does so should you.

Lurk on your wifeís/brotherís/parents FB Page if the social media withdrawal is too much to bear.

Slaphappy
03-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Most of these people are cowards. They love making fun of millennials and minorities when the truth is they're the biggest babies of all.

That's ironic coming from a sock puppet troll account.

rickair7777
03-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Who's making fun of minorities? That will get you banned from APC.

Millenials are not a protected class (although some of them probably think they should be :rolleyes: ).

Shrek
03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Who's making fun of minorities? That will get you banned from APC.

Millenials are not a protected class (although some of them probably think they should be :rolleyes: ).

Protected from themselves ........

fadec
03-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Before getting hired at a major:

"I am a tragically-white pro-feminist gay-man. I'm a member of OBAP, WAI, and NGPA."

After getting hired at a major:

"All my wives are pregnant. I'm a patron member of the NRA."

Learflyer
03-08-2018, 03:41 AM

"I am a tragically-white pro-feminist gay-man. I'm a member of OBAP, WAI, and NGPA."

Nailed. It.

Qotsaautopilot
03-08-2018, 05:32 AM

Hahahahahaha. Too much truth here

Qotsaautopilot
03-08-2018, 05:40 AM
I’ll give my two cents to the conversation. Social media is toxic. It’s probably damaging our brains and it’ll take a generation to figure that out much like smoking and our physical health. It makes people unhappy, causes envy and depression, and creates a world of one upsmanship. Imo many first world problems with society can be attributed to social media. Would parkland have happened if the kid hadn’t grown up with social media? Maybe, but I’d bet it was a contributing factor.

Delete the Facebook, Instagram, etc and never look back. Share thoughts and photos of your life with your REAL friends and family via phone, email, or text. You’ll be happier and it’ll probably help you land a multimillion dollar career.

WHACKMASTER
03-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Iíll give my two cents to the conversation. Social media is toxic. Itís probably damaging our brains and itíll take a generation to figure that out much like smoking and our physical health. It makes people unhappy, causes envy and depression, and creates a world of one upsmanship. Imo many first world problems with society can be attributed to social media. Would parkland have happened if the kid hadnít grown up with social media? Maybe, but Iíd bet it was a contributing factor.

Delete the Facebook, Instagram, etc and never look back. Share thoughts and photos of your life with your REAL friends and family via phone, email, or text. Youíll be happier and itíll probably help you land a multimillion dollar career.

Amen! Couldnít agree more.

deadseal
03-08-2018, 07:29 AM
That's ironic coming from a sock puppet troll account.

Get off my lawn you ďverminĒ!

Lol so predictable
Itís got to be tough to sit down every night at your imaginary dinner party with fox and friends, and constantly lament about the end of your world. You want a tissue snowflake?

rickair7777
03-08-2018, 07:51 AM
I look at FB once or twice a year, to check in with people I went to Kindergarten with in another state.

Slaphappy
03-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Get off my lawn you “vermin”!

Lol so predictable
It’s got to be tough to sit down every night at your imaginary dinner party with fox and friends, and constantly lament about the end of your world. You want a tissue snowflake?

Hah, nice projection. I think you're starting to show your lack of mental state.

Mesabah
03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Iíll give my two cents to the conversation. Social media is toxic. Itís probably damaging our brains and itíll take a generation to figure that out much like smoking and our physical health. It makes people unhappy, causes envy and depression, and creates a world of one upsmanship. Imo many first world problems with society can be attributed to social media. Would parkland have happened if the kid hadnít grown up with social media? Maybe, but Iíd bet it was a contributing factor.

Delete the Facebook, Instagram, etc and never look back. Share thoughts and photos of your life with your REAL friends and family via phone, email, or text. Youíll be happier and itíll probably help you land a multimillion dollar career.You couldn't be more right, social media, the internet in general, is also radicalizing people who consume only media that fits their confirmation bias. This won't end well.

WHACKMASTER
03-09-2018, 04:54 AM
You couldn't be more right, social media, the internet in general, is also radicalizing people who consume only media that fits their confirmation bias. This won't end well.

Itís already not well. The worst is yet to come.

ceelo
03-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Damn I actually laughed

Fishplow
03-10-2018, 11:12 AM

That could be said of every generation at one point or another.

Slaphappy
03-12-2018, 10:15 AM
That could be said of every generation at one point or another.

Yeah but millenials are the first generation to have more people between 25-35 living with their parents than married with a spouse.

Qotsaautopilot
03-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Yeah but millenials are the first generation to have more people between 25-35 living with their parents than married with a spouse.

Thatís a parenting issue donít you think? Why are the parents allowing adult kids to live at home?

2StgTurbine
03-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Why does every thread here have to turn into a generational debate? A few silly points.

Generational classifications are very fluid. A 32 year old and a 15 year old are considered to be millennials, but they have very little in common. I am a millennial myself, yet I avoided texting until 2010, didn't have a smartphone until 2014, & have never tweeted. Yet, I get lumped into the same group as current high school students.

And how many of you actually know someone in their late 20s living with their parents? I can't think of a single person I know who does and odds are I know more people in that age range. I know some did move back home after the financial collapse, but that was only for a couple of years when getting a job with no experience was difficult.

I also know a few people who look like the stereotypical millennial that would raise your typical APC poster's blood pressure. They have beards or man buns, eat kale, & are feminists. But they also have a great work ethic, have successfully started profitable companies, & are fun to be around.

You don't have a problem with "millennials" you have a problem with people in there late teens to early 20s because you grew up in a completely different culture. Since you are the product of your own culture, you are incapable of effectively judging a different generation since your own culture affects your perception.

Since complaining about the younger generation is as old as society itself maybe you should just realize that just as you grew up to be the ideal member of society, so will millennials. And by the time that happens, you will be retired and they will be complaining about the next generation.

Slaphappy
03-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Thatís a parenting issue donít you think? Why are the parents allowing adult kids to live at home?

Probably, considering their parents are baby boomers the 2nd most despicable generation.

Slaphappy
03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Why does every thread here have to turn into a generational debate? A few silly points.

Generational classifications are very fluid. A 32 year old and a 15 year old are considered to be millennials.

Millennials only go to 1995 or so.

Qotsaautopilot
03-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Generational classifications are very fluid. A 32 year old and a 15 year old are considered to be millennials, but they have very little in common. I am a millennial myself, yet I avoided texting until 2010, didn't have a smartphone until 2014, & have never tweeted. Yet, I get lumped into the same group as current high school students.

And how many of you actually know someone in their late 20s living with their parents? I can't think of a single person I know who does and odds are I know more people in that age range. I know some did move back home after the financial collapse, but that was only for a couple of years when getting a job with no experience was difficult.

I also know a few people who look like the stereotypical millennial that would raise your typical APC poster's blood pressure. They have beards or man buns, eat kale, & are feminists. But they also have a great work ethic, have successfully started profitable companies, & are fun to be around.

You don't have a problem with "millennials" you have a problem with people in there late teens to early 20s because you grew up in a completely different culture. Since you are the product of your own culture, you are incapable of effectively judging a different generation since your own culture affects your perception.

Since complaining about the younger generation is as old as society itself maybe you should just realize that just as you grew up to be the ideal member of society, so will millennials. And by the time that happens, you will be retired and they will be complaining about the next generation.

But but Fox and Rush tell me Millennials are worthless and lazy and need safe spaces. They canít be wrong.

rickair7777
03-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Depends on who you ask, could be anywhere from late 70's to early 2000's.

2StgTurbine
03-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Then this is an even dumber thing to talk about on APC. That means the oldest millennial can barely hold an ATP. I would guess there are more 50 year old legacy captains with wrinkled and stained shirts making embarrassing PAs than there are 23 year old pilots living with their parents in a basement full of participation trophies.

Slaphappy
03-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Then this is an even dumber thing to talk about on APC. That means the oldest millennial can barely hold an ATP. I would guess there are more 50 year old legacy captains with wrinkled and stained shirts making embarrassing PAs than there are 23 year old pilots living with their parents in a basement full of participation trophies.

23 would be on the younger end of the scale.

But but Fox and Rush tell me Millennials are worthless and lazy and need safe spaces. They can’t be wrong.

Given the behaviour on college campuses these days they are not wrong.

deadseal
03-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Said every old man ever since the beginning of time. Can you really not see that?

CBreezy
03-12-2018, 07:49 PM
23 would be on the younger end of the scale.

Clearly what is happening in a few classes in a few campus is indicative of the entire generation of 18-35 year olds. It couldn't be that if you went back there, it would be almost identical to what you experienced...

fadec
03-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Communist sympathy started in colleges when paying tuition was a way for rich kids to dodge the draft. College has been ****ed up since at least 1970. And now it's leaking into high and middle schools with the faculty actually organizing walk-outs. This isn't a generational issue anymore. If it ever was, it happened before I was born, and I'm an X.

CBreezy
03-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Communist sympathy started in colleges when paying tuition was a way for rich kids to dodge the draft. College has been ****ed up since at least 1970. And now it's leaking into high and middle schools with the faculty actually organizing walk-outs. This isn't a generational issue anymore. If it ever was, it happened before I was born, and I'm an X.

Take the tinfoil hat off. The only thing "communist" about a walkout is the "don't disrespect my country" sentiment many "patriots" are espousing.

tomgoodman
03-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Communist sympathy started in colleges when paying tuition was a way for rich kids to dodge the draft. College has been ****ed up since at least 1970.

Yeah, I remember the ďHo, Ho, Ho Chi Minh, NLF is gonna winĒ chants in the Ď60s. As it turned out, those Commie Pinko Hippies were just as greedy as any of the old robber barons, and many of them are now running Wall Street, Hollywood, and the Media. Of course, they swore that they would never sell out to the Establishment, but they did, and so will todayís protesters. :p

jcountry
03-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I remember the ďHo, Ho, Ho Chi Minh, NLF is gonna winĒ chants in the Ď60s. As it turned out, those Commie Pinko Hippies were just as greedy as any of the old robber barons, and many of them are now running Wall Street, Hollywood, and the Media. Of course, they swore that they would never sell out to the Establishment, but they did, and so will todayís protesters. :p

Good points.

They are disgusting.

At least millennials are spitting on returning soldiers.

CBreezy
03-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Good points.

They are disgusting.

At least millennials are spitting on returning soldiers.

Aren't? Is that what you meant to say?

Mesabah
03-26-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm glad it finally came out this week, that Facebook was selling all your tracking info to companies. It's been going on for years.

The NSA is doing the same thing.

Catboatsailor
03-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Hereís my experience with APC. June 2014 I had a prolific poster here given inside information about me by a moderator. Specifically that I was posting from Toronto. He then accused me of causing a specific flight to be delayed by posting on here. I was in Toronto for training at Flight Safety and no where near an airplane. Instead another Captain got to do the Chief Pilot dance over his accusations. This guy also threatened to sabotage my pursuit of a career at Delta where he works. I went a few rounds with Internet Branding (The company that runs this platform). They refused to tell me anything about their investigation. But they would delete all posts that I had previously made. Both the moderator and prolific poster are still active here. Iím where I want to be career wise so IDGAF now. But it was a low blow for those two to pull shenanigans like that.

Moral of the story itís not just social media you need to be careful with. Thereís some vindictive people out there and in here.

detpilot
03-30-2018, 03:34 AM
Hereís my experience with APC. June 2014 I had a prolific poster here given inside information about me by a moderator. Specifically that I was posting from Toronto. He then accused me of causing a specific flight to be delayed by posting on here. I was in Toronto for training at Flight Safety and no where near an airplane. Instead another Captain got to do the Chief Pilot dance over his accusations. This guy also threatened to sabotage my pursuit of a career at Delta where he works. I went a few rounds with Internet Branding (The company that runs this platform). They refused to tell me anything about their investigation. But they would delete all posts that I had previously made. Both the moderator and prolific poster are still active here. Iím where I want to be career wise so IDGAF now. But it was a low blow for those two to pull shenanigans like that.

Moral of the story itís not just social media you need to be careful with. Thereís some vindictive people out there and in here.Wow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rickair7777
03-30-2018, 04:05 AM

Moral of the story itís not just social media you need to be careful with. Thereís some vindictive people out there and in here.

Unlikely. Moderators can access your registration email and IP address, but would be fired for using or sharing that inappropriately.

That said, probably best to use an anonymous email address just to be sure you don't get compromised by some rogue. IP addresses can give insight, but are not definitive since they are shared... very few individuals would ever have a permanent IP.

03-30-2018, 06:50 AM
What happened to the forum where people wrote where they were hired?

Salukipilot4590
03-30-2018, 06:52 AM

That was a monumentally bad idea.

GogglesPisano
03-30-2018, 06:55 AM
I consider this place about as anonymous as Facebook.

rickair7777
03-30-2018, 07:07 AM

It's still there. I put a warning label on it a while back.

Mesabah
03-30-2018, 01:49 PM

Moral of the story itís not just social media you need to be careful with. Thereís some vindictive people out there and in here.I remember that. What happened to the other captain, did they make it on to Delta as well?

Catboatsailor
03-30-2018, 02:06 PM
I remember that. What happened to the other captain, did they make it on to Delta as well?

Wasnít told a name so I couldnít tell ya.

John Carr
03-30-2018, 06:32 PM
I would guess there are more 50 year old legacy captains with wrinkled and stained shirts making embarrassing PAs than there are 23 year old pilots living with their parents in a basement full of participation trophies.

Good point.

I would guess there are more self absorbed/attention seeking/narcissistic mid 20 year old pilots embarrassing themselves on social media than there are 50 year old legacy captains with wrinkled and stained shirts making embarrassing PAs.

What do they have in common? NEITHER one knows what an embarrassment they are to themselves and the profession.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!! My black socks are falling down into my sandals and I'm praying I can have a bowel movement.

#goingsterile
#hireme
#Hollywood
#MyresumeofmilitaryflyingviaPA

Catboatsailor
03-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Unlikely. Moderators can access your registration email and IP address, but would be fired for using or sharing that inappropriately.

That said, probably best to use an anonymous email address just to be sure you don't get compromised by some rogue. IP addresses can give insight, but are not definitive since they are shared... very few individuals would ever have a permanent IP.

I look forward to your response to these two unlikely examples. Notice how quickly and who shut down the second thread.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/80672-eagle-pilots-vote-no-12.html

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/endeavor-air/81415-endeavor-14-04-out-10.html

rickair7777
03-30-2018, 07:41 PM
I look forward to your response to these two unlikely examples. Notice how quickly and who shut down the second thread.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/80672-eagle-pilots-vote-no-12.html

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/endeavor-air/81415-endeavor-14-04-out-10.html

Bucking Bar is not a mod, nor has he ever been. But nobody should be telling anyone where where you're posting from.

Catboatsailor
03-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Bucking Bar is not a mod, nor has he ever been. But nobody should be telling anyone where where you're posting from.

I agree it sure was a low move for a moderator to share my info with Bucking Bar.

John Carr
03-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I remember that too. Myself (and others) let forum admin know that said mod was slightly off the reservation by what he did.

NewGuy01
04-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Vindictive people use social media as a very effective tool to be vindictive...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1