Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuter Policy

drivinghome
01-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Iím sure itís here somewhere, but I must have missed it. Any help is appreciated. Trying to decide where to apply.

ConfCodeCOOL
01-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Be responsible, leave yourself 2 options with enough time and you're fine.

drivinghome
01-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Be responsible, leave yourself 2 options with enough time and you're fine.

Thanks! Figured as much, but better to ask.

route45757
01-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Gents and Lasses,
Any input on the difficulty of commuting from San Antonio to the typical new hire domiciles? Thanks in advance.

Fr8Thrust
01-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Gents and Lasses,
Any input on the difficulty of commuting from San Antonio to the typical new hire domiciles? Thanks in advance.

SAT-LAX is flown by Compass 4x a day. For a while we were operating a red-eye turn there. SAT-PHX is flown 3x a day by Mesa.

24Whiskey
01-31-2018, 06:31 AM
Whatís nice is having AUS as a reasonable backup. You can rent a car for around $60-80 one way between the two. Not bad as a last resort to get home once or twice a year.

route45757
02-01-2018, 04:52 AM
Whatís nice is having AUS as a reasonable backup. You can rent a car for around $60-80 one way between the two. Not bad as a last resort to get home once or twice a year.

Thanks for that nugget. Hadn't considered the AUS option.

N914FJ
02-01-2018, 06:00 AM
The only caution about SAT is the loads are sometimes quite high especially around AF graduation time and Fiesta San Antonio. But the DL birds have the 2 XFA jumpseats in addition to the cockpit JS,so you probably won't have any issues,but may have an uncomfortable ride 😎

Taco280AI
02-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Anyone commute from Boise to Seattle?

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Anyone commute from Boise to Seattle?

I know one guy that does, said it was not a problem

TroutBum
02-01-2018, 06:43 AM
I know one guy that does, said it was not a problem

Thanks. I was about to post the same question. My search shows 13 non-stops daily from BOI to SEA.

VegasChris
03-10-2018, 01:36 PM
I am still about a year or two from my minimums but I am starting to look at regionals.

Compass is a top choice due to west coast bases. I live in LAS

Would commuting from LAS be practical? Can I jumpseat on a southwest flight to LA or PHX?

When on reserve do I have to be in my base or is there a time frame to get there? I have heard the terms short and long call, but I have no idea what they mean.

PositveRate
03-10-2018, 02:03 PM
I am still about a year or two from my minimums but I am starting to look at regionals.

Compass is a top choice due to west coast bases. I live in LAS

Would commuting from LAS be practical? Can I jumpseat on a southwest flight to LA or PHX?

When on reserve do I have to be in my base or is there a time frame to get there? I have heard the terms short and long call, but I have no idea what they mean.

LAS-LAX is an easy commute. No competition with SWA. CPZ does it on the DL side. You can Jumpseat on anyone.

On reserve (RSV) you have to be in base for a 2 hour call out unless you are long call (LC) which is 12. No base has had LC since like Nov.17.

You won't be on RSV no more than a 1 to 3 months depending on staffing when you get hired.

Hope that helps.

VegasChris
03-11-2018, 09:22 AM
LAS-LAX is an easy commute. No competition with SWA. CPZ does it on the DL side. You can Jumpseat on anyone.

On reserve (RSV) you have to be in base for a 2 hour call out unless you are long call (LC) which is 12. No base has had LC since like Nov.17.

You won't be on RSV no more than a 1 to 3 months depending on staffing when you get hired.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot.

I have one more question regarding the reserve.

Do I need to be in base ready to go if someone calls in sick 2 hours prior to a flight?

or do I have 2 hours to get to base from the time they call me ?

poorflyer
03-11-2018, 09:54 AM
That helps a lot.

I have one more question regarding the reserve.

Do I need to be in base ready to go if someone calls in sick 2 hours prior to a flight?

or do I have 2 hours to get to base from the time they call me ?

Once they call you, you have 2 hours to get to the airplane.

sMFer
03-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Once they call you, you have 2 hours to get to the airplane.

To clarify, itís 2 hours until showtime. So, 2:45 from departure. Scheduling tried several times while in a pinch to have me there for departure, but I politely informed them I will show at the crew room at show time and then head to plane. Gotta love the gate agent scowl as I wandered up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpet
03-14-2018, 04:40 PM
To clarify, itís 2 hours until showtime. So, 2:45 from departure. Scheduling tried several times while in a pinch to have me there for departure, but I politely informed them I will show at the crew room at show time and then head to plane. Gotta love the gate agent scowl as I wandered up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just be careful how you act on the recorded line... generally speaking the best way to handle it is

"i'll do my best but I can't promise I'll be there any sooner than 2 hours."

and try to sound sincere when you say it :rolleyes:;)

TyWebb
06-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Gentlemen, just reviewed this thread and also did some searching. Is reserve still 1-3 months? I came to the forum to see if compass has long call as I live in Central Oregon and KRDM is the closest airport. So for future planning, I am weighing options between Horizon and Compass - commuting from KRDM, living in base no matter where I am based (single, no kids), or possibly move to a city/town that is more hospitable to commuting, such as RNO or BOI

I prefer living in smallish, medium-sized towns so living at the domicile would be only long enough to get through reserve and possibly a little of additional time to get used to the job. Of the domiciles compass has KSEA would be the obvious choice, then LAX, PHX. There are direct flights out of LAX into RDM but all those seem to be Skywest flights and Seattle only has two directs into RDM per day... the rest are horizon flights. Not sure how commuting works on another airline (i'll look that one up soon).

Any thoughts, critiques, or insights to this planning would be appreciated.

TillerTemptress
06-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Gentlemen, just reviewed this thread and also did some searching. Is reserve still 1-3 months? I came to the forum to see if compass has long call as I live in Central Oregon and KRDM is the closest airport. So for future planning, I am weighing options between Horizon and Compass - commuting from KRDM, living in base no matter where I am based (single, no kids), or possibly move to a city/town that is more hospitable to commuting, such as RNO or BOI

I prefer living in smallish, medium-sized towns so living at the domicile would be only long enough to get through reserve and possibly a little of additional time to get used to the job. Of the domiciles compass has KSEA would be the obvious choice, then LAX, PHX. There are direct flights out of LAX into RDM but all those seem to be Skywest flights and Seattle only has two directs into RDM per day... the rest are horizon flights. Not sure how commuting works on another airline (i'll look that one up soon).

Any thoughts, critiques, or insights to this planning would be appreciated.

It is but it's a moving target, they've slowed hiring a little bit back to 20 a month from 40 I think, and attrition is about 20. So, reserve time could honestly go up a bit, but they still have barely any reserve coverage right now and are short. I think worst case would be about 6 months, but it is very possible you will still have only 2 or so months... again moving target, very hard to say. Commuting works fine on other airlines, but on Horizon's jumpseat you will be behind any Horizon pilots trying to take the jump. If you can take one of the Compass flights RDM-SEA you're better off as you are basically guaranteed to get on with the two extra flight attendant seats... not that anything is ever guaranteed, but in 4 years here I've yet to not get on a Compass flight. Still, RDM to SEA on Horizon isn't terrible full usually either and you may not have to compete for a seat or the jump.

TyWebb
06-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Tiller thanks for the info...are you in the Central Oregon area?

TillerTemptress
06-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Negative, SEA here.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1