Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : RAH Acquisition

veewan
02-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Who is excited to be bought by Republic?

At least it's better than TSH right?

poorflyer
02-01-2018, 10:26 AM
I for one will welcome our new overlords and will pick up time at 50% because you know, it's hard for regional CEOs out there. We should be honored that we get to fly a 737 jr, and we should all stop complaining and just do this job for free. Really this is just an internship for Delta, so stop complaining and asking for money you schmucks. And seniority, that's for losers. Nothing makes you a better pilot than being on eternal reserve. So thank you for this opportunity.

Big Rooshki
02-01-2018, 10:36 AM
My well-placed sources (and not at Compass) tell me it’s nearly a done deal.

BB stepping down.

All three carriers.

JetDoc
02-01-2018, 10:55 AM

BB stepping down.

All three carriers.

Great. I knew I saved my blue pants for a reason.

Poser765
02-01-2018, 11:28 AM

BB stepping down.

All three carriers.just so people don't start flipping out needlessly... Nothing is a done deal, especially in business, until it's actually carried out.

morerightrudder
02-01-2018, 11:36 AM
I'll take it if there's no more IOCC/LIDO. Looking forward to being displaced to IND!

ConfCodeCOOL
02-01-2018, 11:40 AM
This is hilarious and I normally love starting rumors, but morale is kinda crappy lately and I hope everybody realizes this is a joke.

Poser765
02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
This is hilarious and I normally love starting rumors, but morale is kinda crappy lately and I hope everybody realizes this is a joke.It's not a joke anymore than any other stupid rumor we've seen in the last 2 years.

Rumors are fun like conspiracy theories... There is just enough truth/logic/reasoning behind them to make them believable. The RAH rumor is no different. In fact it holds more believability to me than of the other rumors we've seen recently.

Still your right... U til we start getting pay checks from Indianapolis, it's nothing.

veewan
02-01-2018, 01:51 PM
It's not a joke anymore than any other stupid rumor we've seen in the last 2 years.

Rumors are fun like conspiracy theories... There is just enough truth/logic/reasoning behind them to make them believable. The RAH rumor is no different. In fact it holds more believability to me than of the other rumors we've seen recently.

Still your right... U til we start getting pay checks from Indianapolis, it's nothing.

Yup. I'll buy this rumor as plausible...Hawaiian flow, not so much.

poorflyer
02-01-2018, 02:26 PM
So it's a flow to Republic after a 3 year FO seat lock. Gotcha.

veewan
02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
So it's a flow to Republic after a 3 year FO seat lock. Gotcha.

That's the TSH spirit!

Slowhawk
02-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I've seen the HA flow paperwork. It's real, and it hasnt even happened yet. So the fact that everyone flipping over this new rumor it seems silly. 2 weeks ago we were just as sure OO was buying us

veewan
02-01-2018, 06:28 PM
I've seen the HA flow paperwork. It's real, and it hasnt even happened yet. So the fact that everyone flipping over this new rumor it seems silly. 2 weeks ago we were just as sure OO was buying us

Yeah and people saw the paperwork for the United flying from Mesa.... They were also sure Delta would be buying Compass.

Nothing is official until I see it happen in this business. Just like anything else in life there's possible and probable.

It's possible that in the future you could be a billionaire from an idea you dream up, but it's more probable that you'll make a living as a professional pilot.

HA flow is possible, being sold to someone else is probable. Hulas is getting older, and his profit margin isn't as high as before bonuses were a thing.

jungle driver
02-02-2018, 09:18 AM

I think people in the SOC spend their lunch breaks typing up fake memos and leaving them laying around just for the LOL's of seeing all of us freak out about them!

veewan
02-02-2018, 10:06 AM
To spice things up a little, a GoJet pilot claims HK was at Republic HQ.

Boeing175
02-02-2018, 10:10 AM
I think people in the SOC spend their lunch breaks typing up fake memos and leaving them laying around just for the LOL's of seeing all of us freak out about them!SOC employees don't get lunch breaks. But the office people who work 9-5 have lots of time to leave things around. You guys must never visit the SOC. I stop by and bring donuts occasionally. They LOVE it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

N914FJ
02-02-2018, 10:13 AM
SOC employees don't get lunch breaks. But the office people who work 9-5 have lots of time to leave things around. You guys must never visit the SOC. I stop by and bring donuts occasionally. They LOVE it.

The cool captains order them pizza

Boeing175
02-02-2018, 10:15 AM
The cool captains order them pizzaWhen I upgrade I'll buy pizza. My FO salary is only good for donuts.

poorflyer
02-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Is buying pizza/donuts really a thing. That's pretty cool of you guys if true.

Boeing175
02-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Is buying pizza/donuts really a thing. That's pretty cool of you guys if true.Definitely a thing. A captain (no longer at compass) told me he brought them Tobies Carmel (a MN thing) rolls when he drove down for his trips during the holidays. I started to donuts after that.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Is buying pizza/donuts really a thing. That's pretty cool of you guys if true.

Pizza is a tired strategy and donuts are too cheap and common. If you really want to get the attention of SOC, I recommend sending them trays and trays of fortune cookies.

http://i65.tinypic.com/21ompvs.jpg

PressOff
02-02-2018, 01:46 PM
SOC employees don't get lunch breaks. But the office people who work 9-5 have lots of time to leave things around. You guys must never visit the SOC. I stop by and bring donuts occasionally. They LOVE it.

Nah, only in MSP 3 days a year to begin with and never at HQ for any reason whatsoever.

dckpck
02-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Who is excited to be bought by Republic?

At least it's better than TSH right?

which pilot group will be screwed:rolleyes:

Excargodog
02-10-2018, 01:03 PM
which pilot group will be screwed:rolleyes:

That would be for the ALPA and Teamsters to hash out.

If it actually was combined into a single company, generally whoever has the lowest salary schedule is given parity with the other and the seniority lists are sort of zippered in to one another. With three times as many pilots Republics first second and third guys would hold their seniority positions while the senior Compass guy would now be number four, then the next three highest Republic guys, the next senior Compass guy, and repeat.

Short term, it usually benefits the smaller pilot group.

jungle driver
02-10-2018, 01:36 PM
That would be for the ALPA and Teamsters to hash out.

If it actually was combined into a single company, generally whoever has the lowest salary schedule is given parity with the other and the seniority lists are sort of zippered in to one another. With three times as many pilots Republics first second and third guys would hold their seniority positions while the senior Compass guy would now be number four, then the next three highest Republic guys, the next senior Compass guy, and repeat.

Short term, it usually benefits the smaller pilot group.

this is one way to integrating or they could do just a straight DOH integration which would not play out well for our pilot group since there are many more lifers at Republic. reality would probably be somewhere in-between, Republic being bigger and acquiring us things would probably go a little more in their favor.

Bonanzer
02-11-2018, 06:18 AM
this is one way to integrating or they could do just a straight DOH integration which would not play out well for our pilot group since there are many more lifers at Republic. reality would probably be somewhere in-between, Republic being bigger and acquiring us things would probably go a little more in their favor.

BB put out a letter yesterday saying there is no pending transactions on the horizon. BB typically doesn’t say much until it is a done deal so it very well could be on the table. Personally as a Republic pilot I would prefer organic growth over a messy integration and contract amalgamation. I also don’t want to have anything to do with alpa. As far as list integration if something did happen, that is nearly impossible to predict. Mediators look at things like career expectations, relative seniority, etc. Our upgrade times are starting to approach each other so that wouldn’t be a issue. I would assume it would work out to somewhere near date of hire.

SilentLurker
02-11-2018, 09:45 AM
BB put out a letter yesterday saying there is no pending transactions on the horizon. BB typically doesn’t say much until it is a done deal so it very well could be on the table. Personally as a Republic pilot I would prefer organic growth over a messy integration and contract amalgamation. I also don’t want to have anything to do with alpa. As far as list integration if something did happen, that is nearly impossible to predict. Mediators look at things like career expectations, relative seniority, etc. Our upgrade times are starting to approach each other so that wouldn’t be a issue. I would assume it would work out to somewhere near date of hire.

Someone pls post the letter.

Thanks

Chancellor
02-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Someone pls post the letter.

Thanks

Dear Associates,

Good morning. I hope this update finds you well today. It’s been another week back in the deep freeze. Like many of you, I am ready for spring to arrive, yet I know we still have another six to eight weeks of winter to endure. The older I get, the more I want to move Headquarters to Florida. Don’t worry … no plans to relocate our HQ.

We just wrapped up our quarterly leadership meeting this evening, and there are number of rumors circulating these days I would like to address. First, let’s talk about crew bases. Aside from the normal, “when will we open a west coast base?” there seems to be a lot of concern about the possibility of our existing crew bases shrinking, particularly ORD.

First, our codeshare partners adjust their network planning regularly. For example, both AA and UA are making considerable network adjustments to account for the transition of Air Wisconsin flying from AA to UA. We also see reductions in our service when a codeshare partner determines a particular city pair is better served by mainline metal. While these types of network adjustments are a regular occurrence among our codeshare partners, the short answer is despite some of these shifts, we do not see any of our crew bases being materially affected one way or the other.

Regarding a west coast base, we do continually ask United to consolidate our westward flying to achieve sufficient schedule density to justify a new crew base. These conversations are “on-going,” and we remain optimistic we will be able to open a new westward-leaning crew base in Q2 of 2018. Such a development likely also would include development of a new westward line maintenance station. We don’t want to open a new base until we are confident we can keep the base open for the long haul. Please be patient as we continue to negotiate to obtain the necessary schedule density and commitments from our mainline partners to give us the protections we need to establish a new crew base.

What about growth in 2018? We are focused on growing our fleet between 14 and 20 aircraft per year over the next couple of years, and we are aligning our staffing plans to be ready to take advantage of such growth opportunities. In 2018, we already have added one aircraft to our American CPA. Separately, we are in discussions to add two more Ejets in September under a long-term CPA amendment with a codeshare partner. Lastly, we are in active discussions with a codeshare partner to add an additional 12 to 15 aircraft, which would begin to arrive on property during the back half 2018.

As we evaluate each growth opportunity, we are committed to ensuring we do not jeopardize the outstanding operational reliability you are delivering to our partners and our guests. To ensure this, we will not overextend our crews. Getting our new Pilot agreement ratified certainly puts us in a much better position to build our Pilot corps, and as such we now feel confident we can commit to additional growth. Solidifying such growth in 2018 will have a positive benefit on future crew bases and the scheduling efficiency of our existing bases. Stayed tuned.

Finally, let me address the issue of consolidation of regional carriers. Twice each month I visit our Training Center to meet our new hire classes, congratulate our Captain upgrades, and visit with our recurrent ground school classes. Over the course of a year, I am able to visit with the majority of our flight crews, which I dearly enjoy. Recently, the topic of consolidation has been a lot more frequent inquiry during these visits the past few months. So let me say for the record, there are no pending transactions on the horizon.

I have not been shy about expressing my belief that the regional market is too fragmented and could benefit from consolidation. However, I have been equally critical that the potential adverse social costs and operational disruption could easily wipe away those benefits. I’ve also been candid about the failure we experienced with Frontier. Of course, the lesson learned is that we cannot (and will not) engage in any form of merger and acquisition activity without engaging our labor leadership teams on the front end. If any form of consolidation involving Republic is going to be successful, it must be accomplished with the full participation of the leadership of the respective labor groups. This is the only manner to ensure social concerns are addressed on the front end of any consolidation effort.

Since the ratification of the 2015 Tentative Agreement, we have been working hard to develop a relationship of transparency and collaboration with our labor leadership teams. The ratification of the recent Letter of Agreement with our Pilots shows the promise of what the future of engaged labor relations can hold at Republic.

Thank you for everything you do, and may God bless you and yours.

Bryan

Labigmike
02-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Dear Associates,

Good morning. I hope this update finds you well today. It’s been another week back in the deep freeze. Like many of you, I am ready for spring to arrive, yet I know we still have another six to eight weeks of winter to endure. The older I get, the more I want to move Headquarters to Florida. Don’t worry … no plans to relocate our HQ.

We just wrapped up our quarterly leadership meeting this evening, and there are number of rumors circulating these days I would like to address. First, let’s talk about crew bases. Aside from the normal, “when will we open a west coast base?” there seems to be a lot of concern about the possibility of our existing crew bases shrinking, particularly ORD.

First, our codeshare partners adjust their network planning regularly. For example, both AA and UA are making considerable network adjustments to account for the transition of Air Wisconsin flying from AA to UA. We also see reductions in our service when a codeshare partner determines a particular city pair is better served by mainline metal. While these types of network adjustments are a regular occurrence among our codeshare partners, the short answer is despite some of these shifts, we do not see any of our crew bases being materially affected one way or the other.

Regarding a west coast base, we do continually ask United to consolidate our westward flying to achieve sufficient schedule density to justify a new crew base. These conversations are “on-going,” and we remain optimistic we will be able to open a new westward-leaning crew base in Q2 of 2018. Such a development likely also would include development of a new westward line maintenance station. We don’t want to open a new base until we are confident we can keep the base open for the long haul. Please be patient as we continue to negotiate to obtain the necessary schedule density and commitments from our mainline partners to give us the protections we need to establish a new crew base.

What about growth in 2018? We are focused on growing our fleet between 14 and 20 aircraft per year over the next couple of years, and we are aligning our staffing plans to be ready to take advantage of such growth opportunities. In 2018, we already have added one aircraft to our American CPA. Separately, we are in discussions to add two more Ejets in September under a long-term CPA amendment with a codeshare partner. Lastly, we are in active discussions with a codeshare partner to add an additional 12 to 15 aircraft, which would begin to arrive on property during the back half 2018.

As we evaluate each growth opportunity, we are committed to ensuring we do not jeopardize the outstanding operational reliability you are delivering to our partners and our guests. To ensure this, we will not overextend our crews. Getting our new Pilot agreement ratified certainly puts us in a much better position to build our Pilot corps, and as such we now feel confident we can commit to additional growth. Solidifying such growth in 2018 will have a positive benefit on future crew bases and the scheduling efficiency of our existing bases. Stayed tuned.

Finally, let me address the issue of consolidation of regional carriers. Twice each month I visit our Training Center to meet our new hire classes, congratulate our Captain upgrades, and visit with our recurrent ground school classes. Over the course of a year, I am able to visit with the majority of our flight crews, which I dearly enjoy. Recently, the topic of consolidation has been a lot more frequent inquiry during these visits the past few months. So let me say for the record, there are no pending transactions on the horizon.

I have not been shy about expressing my belief that the regional market is too fragmented and could benefit from consolidation. However, I have been equally critical that the potential adverse social costs and operational disruption could easily wipe away those benefits. I’ve also been candid about the failure we experienced with Frontier. Of course, the lesson learned is that we cannot (and will not) engage in any form of merger and acquisition activity without engaging our labor leadership teams on the front end. If any form of consolidation involving Republic is going to be successful, it must be accomplished with the full participation of the leadership of the respective labor groups. This is the only manner to ensure social concerns are addressed on the front end of any consolidation effort.

Since the ratification of the 2015 Tentative Agreement, we have been working hard to develop a relationship of transparency and collaboration with our labor leadership teams. The ratification of the recent Letter of Agreement with our Pilots shows the promise of what the future of engaged labor relations can hold at Republic.

Bryan

People on other forum posts are saying IAH or DEN for the base and the new jets will be for United. We shall see.

FlyingKat
02-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Dear Associates,

Bryan

Typical Bedford doubletalk. In one paragraph he says no acquisitions, then he says consolidation needs to happen. Don't see how you can say one way for the other from this letter. However I would never underestimate the ability of HK and TSH management to be so difficult to deal with that Bedford throws his hands up and walks away from the deal.

veewan
02-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Typical Bedford doubletalk. In one paragraph he says no acquisitions, then he says consolidation needs to happen. Don't see how you can say one way for the other from this letter. However I would never underestimate the ability of HK and TSH management to be so difficult to deal with that Bedford throws his hands up and walks away from the deal.

That's more believable. TSH might be very difficult to deal with.

"I have not been shy about expressing my belief that the regional market is too fragmented and could benefit from consolidation." -BB

That's something most people agree on, it's just how will consolidation happen.

So my thoughts are TSH either gets bought or falls apart/goes the way of the dinosaur. HK is getting old, and is a cheap person. My personal opinion is he'll pick the option that puts the most cash in his pockets.

ThePlaneSaidSo
02-19-2018, 07:36 PM
It's possible that in the future you could be a billionaire from an idea you dream up, but it's more probable that you'll make a living as a professional pilot.

You can make a living as a professional pilot? Please tell!! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veewan
02-19-2018, 08:07 PM
You can make a living as a professional pilot? Please tell!! [emoji2]

If you don't end up with multiple exes and boats. It is possible! :cool:

One ex, ok, things happen, two exes, hmm sucks but maybe you're third spouse is the one... and like baseball after the 3rd one you should be out.

I've heard a few methods that people have to handle that, some say they'll just have a significant other if the current marriage doesn't work.

One very wise Delta captain had a different take, he said he'd find some random woman, buy her a house then give her half his crap and money. It would be cheaper, easier and less emotionally draining according to him.

Poser765
02-20-2018, 05:08 AM

One ex, ok, things happen, two exes, hmm sucks but maybe you're third spouse is the one... and like baseball after the 3rd one you should be out.

I've heard a few methods that people have to handle that, some say they'll just have a significant other if the current marriage doesn't work.

One very wise Delta captain had a different take, he said he'd find some random woman, buy her a house then give her half his crap and money. It would be cheaper, easier and less emotionally draining according to him.
lol jesus, I guess he could also learn how to have a successful relationship.

One, maybe two, sure, I guess it could be the job, or some weird problem with your spouse. 3 or more? Yeah there is a problem with number one. Time to read Men are from Mars...

veewan
02-20-2018, 03:12 PM
lol jesus, I guess he could also learn how to have a successful relationship.

One, maybe two, sure, I guess it could be the job, or some weird problem with your spouse. 3 or more? Yeah there is a problem with number one. Time to read Men are from Mars...

Lol he could, but I guess he was all about the double breasted coat!

The most exes I know a legacy pilot had was 5. Again I think after 2 or 3 it's time to look in the mirror.

FlyingKat
02-21-2018, 06:55 AM

No boats would be a dealbreaker. Have to have the boats :D

poorflyer
02-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Boats before hoes.

Poser765
02-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Boats before hoes.Boats *and* hoes.

Tpinks
02-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Boats *and* hoes.

Hoes on Boats?

Av8rPHX
02-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Hoes on Boats?

I think I once saw a video like that...

Taco280AI
02-21-2018, 06:48 PM
I think I once saw a video like that...

Bought Tiger Woods' video, My Favorite 18 Holes. Turns out it was about golf. Who knew...

poorflyer
02-21-2018, 07:43 PM
I was thinking the Pam Anderson one but maybe I'm old.

N914FJ
02-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Republic TA passes literally weeks before Compass contract extension..all employee call pushed back til next week as well. Better put those tin foil hats on again

PositveRate
02-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Republic TA passes literally weeks before Compass contract extension..all employee call pushed back til next week as well. Better put those tin foil hats on again

Friday is coming up...

Big Rooshki
08-01-2018, 05:27 PM

BB stepping down.

All three carriers.
_______

https://theaircurrent.com/airlines/republic-airways-is-nearing-a-deal-to-buy-trans-states/

Aviator147
08-01-2018, 05:31 PM
_______

https://theaircurrent.com/airlines/republic-airways-is-nearing-a-deal-to-buy-trans-states/

doesnt that website seem fishy to you....? $179 for a years subscription? Troll Alert.

Big Rooshki
08-01-2018, 05:41 PM
https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1024798840946388992

Aviator147
08-01-2018, 05:51 PM
https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1024798840946388992

thats more legit at least. The website seemed fake but I'd take this a little more seriously

itsmytime
08-01-2018, 05:56 PM
thats more legit at least. The website seemed fake but I'd take this a little more seriously

FlyingKat in 5,4,3,2,........

fortyeight
08-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Just came over here to see what you all though. SLI would be a *****, but I honestly think (hope) you’d all love it at Republic. The contract is great. QOL is second to none in the regionals, and if you like outstations we’re the regional! Seriously, if it goes through I think these pilot groups coming together would be great for everyone involved. Plus I’m ready to move west ;P

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-01-2018, 06:08 PM

https://youtu.be/MQEwJdhfddk?t=6 :D:D

Aviator147
08-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Just came over here to see what you all though. SLI would be a *****, but I honestly think (hope) you’d all love it at Republic. The contract is great. QOL is second to none in the regionals, and if you like outstations we’re the regional! Seriously, if it goes through I think these pilot groups coming together would be great for everyone involved. Plus I’m ready to move west ;P

If its RAH aquiring TSH holdings then who knows what would happen. Might keep everyone separate. This doesn't seem to be a CPZ/RAH merger just yet

Crimson
08-01-2018, 06:22 PM
If its RAH aquiring TSH holdings then who knows what would happen. Might keep everyone separate. This doesn't seem to be a CPZ/RAH merger just yet

I welcome any new change because, well TSH... also I’d like a base east of Denver

poorflyer
08-01-2018, 06:27 PM
I welcome any new change because, well TSH... also I’d like a base east of Denver

I'm trying to be cautious to accept this but I too would like a east side base. But it will probably suck for everyone the first few years.

VIRotate
08-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Actually I think it would work out pretty well. I’m sure you guys have a lot of west coasters and we have a lot of refugee east coasters. Personally, I would welcome the merger.

BobSacamano
08-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Air Current is Jon Ostrower’s new project. He is about as legit as it gets, my dudes and dudettes.

Tpinks
08-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Our Contract at Republic REQUIRES all pilots operating under our umbrella to be on a single Master seniority list. So the airlines themselves may stay separate for a while, but the pilots will not.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Our Contract at Republic REQUIRES all pilots operating under our umbrella to be on a single Master seniority list. So the airlines themselves may stay separate for a while, but the pilots will not.

What will 3 yrs get me at RAH? Am I gonna get bumped down to flight attendant?

fortyeight
08-01-2018, 07:29 PM
What will 3 yrs get me at RAH? Am I gonna get bumped down to flight attendant?

Probably $55/hour and a pretty good contract

DiamondDriver
08-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Give me 41.50 and a quicker upgrade.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-01-2018, 07:34 PM

I'm year 4 CA at Cpz, around here that's like Group 4 widebody pay, but were such a young airline with a list that moves.. so .. curious what would happen to us lol..

FlyingKat
08-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Don't be 'hatin because I was right......:D

poorflyer
08-01-2018, 07:40 PM
As a new captain I'm wondering too what would happen. I guess I'll just go back to the right seat huh.

TillerTemptress
08-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Speaking as an $81/hr year 4 CA... that is concerning :D

Also, ALPA is wayyyy more powerful than Teamsters, so... we wanna keep ALPA.

WhatsV1
08-01-2018, 07:48 PM
I have a class date in Nov with you guys. Trying to decide what to do or if that class date is even valid.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-01-2018, 07:51 PM
I have a class date in Nov with you guys. Trying to decide what to do or if that class date is even valid.

Oh dude. We're just having a fun convo. Dont do anything crazy! Show up to class. Our sub forums are like Seinfield..a show about nothing

TillerTemptress
08-01-2018, 07:52 PM

A) It is until told otherwise
B) This is a total rumor right now
C) Even if true, this whole process would take awhile
D) likely nothing major will change for compass people except better management
E) pilots are a commodity. the whole reason they would merge, would not be to try to have less pilots. it would be to be more competitive for more...

WhatsV1
08-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Copy, thanks for the response dudes. I know what this forumn is about and is why I want to be there. Other than the west coast flying and fast upgrade of course. I am waiting to see if we actually get an announcement. The last thing I want to do is fly somewhere else.

glassnpowder98
08-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Speaking as an $81/hr year 4 CA... that is concerning :D

Also, ALPA is wayyyy more powerful than Teamsters, so... we wanna keep ALPA.

On a more positive note, as a CA $5/hr more off the bat and another $9/hr every January for the next two years. Hopefully with the 100 planes on order it makes integrating seniority lists a little less painful

ExitingSterile
08-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Republic Airways is nearing a deal to buy Trans States

Another wave of U.S. airline consolidation is here.

Updated with Republic Airways declining to comment.
Republic Airways is nearing a deal to acquire U.S. regional airline Trans States Holdings, according to three people briefed on the matter.
The merger of the second and third largest regional airlines would mark another major consolidation in the U.S., where regional carriers have struggled to stay afloat amid a severe shortage of qualified aviators.
The pair recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding establishing the preliminary terms for the acquisition, according to two of the people briefed on the talks. A formal announcement is expected as early as later this month. Both companies are privately held.
A spokesman for Indianapolis-based Republic Airways declined to comment. A spokeswoman for Bridgeton, Missouri-based Trans States didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Republic Airways and Trans States Holdings operates Go Jet Airlines, Compass Airlines and Trans States Airlines on behalf of the three largest U.S. airlines. The combined carrier would be roughly 75% of the size of SkyWest Airways, the largest U.S. regional carrier, measured by Available Seat Miles in 2017.
“They’ve got to have a volume game, because their margins are being squeezed” by the three major U.S. airlines, said Henry Harteveldt, founder of the Atmosphere Research Group.
And despite Republic’s profitability, the carrier filed for bankruptcy in 2016 citing the acute shortage of pilots as part of its need to revamp its corporate operations. Republic exited Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring in April 2017.
Further, said Harteveldt, “one of of the big benefits is getting access to Trans States pilot corps.”
The union could also have broad implications for the manufacturers of regional jets, removing a customer from the market as part of the overall consolidation. The deal could potentially be a major blow to Mitsubishi’s ambitions to secure a spot for its new Mitsubishi Regional Jet in The U.S..
Trans States holds a commitment for 50 airplanes, but has so far been limited by scope clauses that limit operation of the MRJ90 in the U.S. Trans States, along with Sky West, has options to convert to the 76 seat MRJ70. Republic is exclusively a user of Embraer aircraft and at the Farnborough Airshow signed an agreement committing to 100 additional E175 jets.

Excargodog
08-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Just to put things in perspective:

1. Regulatory approval is needed before any of this can actually happen, even if a deal has been cut.
2. Even if the deal is consummated, merging seniority lists takes just short of forever. Alaska bought Virgin America in Apr 2016. They are hoping to get the seniority lists merged this coming September - nearly two and a half years after the purchase, and that was two Pilot groups with different unions. If this occurs as alleged it will be four pilot groups, two Teamsters and two ALPA, each with different contracts, and two of the groups flying different aircraft than the other two (and each other), and four different compensation and working rules contracts.

IT MAY BE YEARS BEFORE ANYTHING CHANGES, assuming this really does happen at all.

VIRotate
08-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Just to put things in perspective:

1. Regulatory approval is needed before any of this can actually happen, even if a deal has been cut.
2. Even if the deal is consummated, merging seniority lists takes just short of forever. Alaska bought Virgin America in Apr 2016. They are hoping to get the seniority lists merged this coming September - nearly two and a half years after the purchase, and that was two Pilot groups with different unions. If this occurs as alleged it will be four pilot groups, two Teamsters and two ALPA, each with different contracts, and two of the groups flying different aircraft than the other two (and each other), and four different compensation and working rules contracts.

IT MAY BE YEARS BEFORE ANYTHING CHANGES, assuming this really does happen at all.

Also there will be fences for a long time. It's not like a senior GoJet pilot will be able to jump into an LAX 175 spot and so forth.

I still think this is the work of a really well played troll but I guess time will tell. Anyways for me, it's business as usual.

TJBrass
08-02-2018, 05:44 AM
Someone will have to look up the old thread but didn't RAHs latest TA allows for metered transfers almost immediately.

AirBat
08-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Someone will have to look up the old thread but didn't RAHs latest TA allows for metered transfers almost immediately.

Maybe, but we aren’t under that contract...

thump
08-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Having lived through this with the whole Lynx/Frontier/Midwest/Republic merger, there could be fences that prevent movement when the seniority list is done.

Also, when the CBAs are amalgamated, we could end up with totally different language around moving between certificates. And who knows if we will keep multiple operating certificates; it could all be merged into one.

As I see it, our CBA at republic goes for another 3 years and that's probably about the time that the seniority list will be resolved.

N914FJ
08-02-2018, 07:04 AM
Who's to say anything would actually be merged? We could just be getting a new daddy and everything operates the same except the name on our paychecks. Happens all the time in the world of business.

WhatsV1
08-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Who's to say anything would actually be merged? We could just be getting a new daddy and everything operates the same except the name on our paychecks. Happens all the time in the world of business.

I hope this is exactly what happens.

4V14T0R
08-02-2018, 08:07 AM

I hope this is exactly what happens.

YX contract forbids this. We will need a merged list and contract. Separate operating certificates is a possibility, but unlikely.

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 08:35 AM
YX contract forbids this. We will need a merged list and contract. Separate operating certificates is a possibility, but unlikely.

It required the intervention of the NMB mediators (and substantial raises to both pilot groups) to rationalize the Alaska and Virgin America pilots into one CBA. And they were the same Union and flying comparable if somewhat different aircraft.

Here you have four different pilot groups, two different unions, contracts legally requiring years more of 50 seat flying for majors already scoped out for larger jets.

And merging seniority lists? Two and a half years into their CBA and the Alaska/Virgin pilot groups still haven't gotten that accomplished.

I see this process taking a half-decade and most of those around for the start of it watching from a major long before it is finally completed.

4V14T0R
08-02-2018, 08:37 AM
It required the intervention of the NMB mediators (and substantial raises to both pilot groups) to rationalize the Alaska and Virgin America pilots into one CBA. And they were the same Union and flying comparable if somewhat different aircraft.

Here you have four different pilot groups, two different unions, contracts requiring years more if 50 seat flying for majors already scoped out for larger jets.

And merging seniority lists? Two and a half years into their CBA and the Alaska/Virgin pilot groups still haven't gotten that accomplished.

I see this process taking a half-decade and most of those around for the start of it watching from a major long before it is finally completed.

I don’t refute any of that, not really. All I said was that we will have to be one list/contract.

Tpinks
08-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Here you have four different pilot groups, two different unions, contracts legally requiring years more of 50 seat flying for majors already scoped out for larger jets.

But your looking at it from from a slightly off perspective. That merger was the first merger for both of those airlines. Republic has merged multiple airlines in the recent past, Chautauqua into Shuttle America and then Shuttle into Republic. They have a formula for doing this and in our last round of negotiations the union said they already have a plan for Mergers and Aquisitions that will streamline the process. The 145 has only been out of the loop at Republic for two years now.

Our contract requires a single seniority list. That WILL happen. Our contract also allows a metered flow between certificates. I haven't looked at it since voting, but I believe It works in both ways, as in We can move to any certificate and you guys can move to us.

atdhockey
08-02-2018, 09:18 AM
But your looking at it from from a slightly off perspective. That merger was the first merger for both of those airlines. Republic has merged multiple airlines in the recent past, Chautauqua into Shuttle America and then Shuttle into Republic. They have a formula for doing this and in our last round of negotiations the union said they already have a plan for Mergers and Aquisitions that will streamline the process. The 145 has only been out of the loop at Republic for two years now.

Our contract requires a single seniority list. That WILL happen. Our contract also allows a metered flow between certificates. I haven't looked at it since voting, but I believe It works in both ways, as in We can move to any certificate and you guys can move to us.

He's 100% correct on that. We have to be merged the Company cannot keep everyone apart.

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 09:52 AM
He's 100% correct on that. We have to be merged the Company cannot keep everyone apart.

Except BOTH CONTRACTS are amendable at the CBA and since AT LEAST ONE LEGAL CONTRACT MUST BE CHANGED, either both pilot groups must agree or it goes to arbitration.

The Republic contract with its employees is not controlling over the Compass contract with its employees, even if Republic is the one doing the buying. Ultimately it all goes to arbitration and the CBA that energies is pretty much whatever the mediator says it is.

That's what happened to Alaska and Virgin America when they got their combined CBA two and a half years ago. Both contracts were changed. And now, two and a half years later, the two pilot groups are STILL fighting over the SLI which they HOPE will come out of arbitration in September.

atdhockey
08-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Except BOTH CONTRACTS are amendable at the CBA and since AT LEAST ONE LEGAL CONTRACT MUST BE CHANGED, either both pilot groups must agree or it goes to arbitration.

The Republic contract with its employees is not controlling over the Compass contract with its employees, even if Republic is the one doing the buying. Ultimately it all goes to arbitration and the CBA that energies is pretty much whatever the mediator says it is.

That's what happened to Alaska and Virgin America when they got their combined CBA two and a half years ago. Both contracts were changed. And now, two and a half years later, the two pilot groups are STILL fighting over the SLI which they HOPE will come out of arbitration in September.

Yes we all know that. The Local could sue RAH if they left everyone separate it's a violation of the CBA. I also know they have zero intent to do that. You're missing that point.

sMFer
08-02-2018, 10:22 AM
I was at RP during the whole Midwest and F9 circus and that SLI was actually done very quickly. In the end it meant nothing as fences were put up at F9, but a ton of super junior Lynx guys were put ahead of 6 year FOs at RP. One of those Lynx guys is now the CP at Compass.

If this truly goes through, all sides will be ****ed for awhile, thus meaning a fairly successful SLI bu an arbitrator.

Though I'm sure the IBT would be voted to stay due to serious majority, I'd recommend ALPA. The resources we had while I was at CP makes the IBT look like a joke. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Yes we all know that. The Local could sue RAH if they left everyone separate it's a violation of the CBA. I also know they have zero intent to do that. You're missing that point.

Missing WHAT point? That RAH has zero intent to operate on separate certificates? It's not their call - not until the existing Compass contract is up or amended. If they purchase TSH they purchase it with existing contracts in place, both for codeshare flying and labor agreements. Where there are conflicts with contracts they already have, somebody must either be bought off or it goes to arbitration.

Eventually it can all be MADE to happen by arbitrated CBA, but that isn't a speedy process and none of the CBAs going in to the process wind up being binding on what ultimately comes out. That's all I'm saying.

And then the SLI gets started, which will be even MORE time consuming. And again, none of the seniority lists going in are going to be controlling of what comes out.

thump
08-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Missing WHAT point? That RAH has zero intent to operate on separate certificates? It's not their call - not until the existing Compass contract is up or amended.
You are 100% incorrect, contract amalgamation can occur before the existing contracts expire. And you can even operate on the same certificate under different CBAs until that process is complete a-la-US Airways

poorflyer
08-02-2018, 11:08 AM
It will be hilarious if this all turns out to be fake.

jungle driver
08-02-2018, 11:20 AM
“By Corporate Communications 8/01/2018 10:14 PM
Tonight a story reported Republic Airways is nearing a deal to buy Trans States Holdings. Over the past several months there have been many rumored transactions involving our industry peers. We will not comment on any rumors or speculate about events that may or may not happen in the market. Rest assured that when and if there is any news of this sort, we will announce it directly to our Associates and our partners. In the meantime, we will remain focused on what we do best – delivering the safest, cleanest and most reliable product available in the industry. That is the surest way to ensure success as our airline prepares for the next stage of growth.

The Executive Leadership Team “

this was posted in the republic forum. not exactly a strong denial. also I feel like its not a coincidence that we have an all employee meeting that was scheduled for the 22nd which is not the usual first Thursday of the month but does line up well with the articles statement of an announcement coming later in the month.

Beechnutz
08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Did u guys just see the memo from RL?

They are going to tell us before media will.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Did u guys just see the memo from RL?

They are going to tell us before media will.

This was basically what happened with us and RL**

http://i64.tinypic.com/2vn2stt.png

prplmnkydshwshr
08-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Okay. So RL has never put out memos about other rumors of mergers that never happened. But now he has regarding this rumor. Must mean it's actually true this time.

Mesabah
08-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Never believe anything until it is officially denied.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Okay. So RL has never put out memos about other rumors of mergers that never happened. But now he has regarding this rumor. Must mean it's actually true this time.

Yeah I kinda thought that too, plus it wasnt a denial.

"There is no collusion or I would tell you!"

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 01:25 PM
You are 100% incorrect, contract amalgamation can occur before the existing contracts expire. And you can even operate on the same certificate under different CBAs until that process is complete a-la-US Airways

Yes. DIFFERENT CBAs. The contract can be pretty damn much anything the mediator says it can be. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO HONOR A PREVIOUS CONTRACT'S GUARANTEES THAT THERE WILL BE NO OPERATIONS UNDER A SEPARATE CERTIFICATE.

PositveRate
08-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Just spit balling here... Been brain storming this idea all day and it actually kind of makes a little sense.

100 175's for RPA and old planes at TSA.
TSH won't sell CPZ only because Hula Skirt wants to cash out and retire..
TSH is sold to RPA, with what money? RPA filed Chap. 11, right?
Big Daddy is starting to seem like a dark horse here to front the cash so RPA gets pilots from TSA and GJ for the 100 planes...
CPZ is handed back to Daddy......

CPZ and EDV are now both under Dad's wings.

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Just spit balling here... Been brain storming this idea all day and it actually kind of makes a little sense.

Big Daddy is starting to seem like a dark horse here to front the cash so RPA gets pilots from TSA and GJ for the 100 planes...

That's so convoluted my eyeballs became uncaged reading it...:o

poorflyer
08-02-2018, 06:30 PM
This rumor is tearing us apart! I wish things would go back to the good ole days of July.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-02-2018, 06:32 PM

I know the feelin, I've been brainstorming this idea all day too...

I mean, what exactly is the difference between the Fig Newton of my childhood and the Fig Bar of my adulthood? Different snack? An old friend in new clothes?

https://i.imgflip.com/2f73ah.jpg

Excargodog
08-02-2018, 07:30 PM
This rumor is tearing us apart! I wish things would go back to the good ole days of July.

Ah yes, back to where the pessimists were worrying about contracts not being renewed, our pilots being unwanted, and everybody homeless on the streets rather than the present situation when they are worried about someone wanting our pilots so bad they'd buy all of TSH to get them, then raise our pay.

Pessimists gotta be pessimists....:rolleyes:

glassnpowder98
08-02-2018, 08:15 PM

Interesting theories. RAH filed bankruptcy with a lot of money in the bank mainly to get out of the 145 and Q400 contracts they were already feeling the pinch on staffing/on the verge of not being able to staff. During bankruptcy Delta put down a bunch of money which led to American and United also putting in money to become part owners (along with Embraer, GE, and other unsecured creditors) of RAH. If this deal goes through, TSH and their three subsidiaries, provide lift for three of RAH’s “owners” which then leads one to believe no one codeshare is going to want to relinquish pilots or airframes in this market. However, so far the big three having ownership stakes haven’t had a noticeable affect on operations at RAH, so it really is anyone’s guess as to what would happen with the pilots and aircraft. Welcome to being a partially wholly owned mega regional.

WillFlyForSpam
08-02-2018, 10:04 PM
I miss the days when the only solid rumor was a new treat hitting the snack basket.

sflpilot
08-04-2018, 04:32 AM
Just for the record the last time YX had a merger it never really was completed per the CBA. Midwest and lynx were already shut down or in the process of doing so. Yes there was a token SLI but it was not fully implemented. Basically republic took maybe 100 Midwest pilots that wanted to come over and the 50 or so lynx pilots. Frontier was never integrated into the operation. And contract and amalgamations never took place. There was a representation election which the IBT won. If history is any indicator Bedford will just do what he wants and the teamsters will do nothing. Chances for getting ALPA will be slim. Even if you get all of the gojet guys to vote ALPA and everyone at compass and TSA stays with ALPA you still won’t be able to outvote republics numbers. 99.9% of their pilots will vote for Teamsters. Luckily most people currently there will move onto legacies or lcc’s before the whipsaw gets up to full speed. You can say what you will about ALPA but it is a 100% guarantee that the Teamsters are extremely shady characters.

TillerTemptress
08-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Rick Leech's Statement Be Like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnX5wci404

Not You
08-04-2018, 01:03 PM
That is the best! SO TRUE.

fortyeight
08-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Teamsters are extremely shady characters.

Incompetent but be a better word. It’s a glorified truckers union after all. I have zero confidence in our union leadership at RPA.

poorflyer
08-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Incompetent but be a better word. It’s a glorified truckers union after all. I have zero confidence in our union leadership at RPA.

If it is as you say what is holding lifers from voting ALPA. What would ALPA threaten QOL for lifers?

Big Rooshki
08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
I thought I would share this piece from Holly Hageman of PlaneBusiness.

www.planebusiness.com if you’re curious of her.

It’s all making sense now.

_____
Shifting below the Canadian border, Jon Ostrower reported last week in his new publication, The Air Current, that a deal is in the works that would see regional airline Republic Airways acquire Trans States Holdings. Republic and Trans States are, respectively, the second and third largest regional airlines in the U.S. Nevertheless, if the two were to merge, SkyWest would remain the largest U.S. regional airline.

While talk about this link-up has been out there before, I found the timing of Jon's story interesting, as it came out right before the Mesa Air Group IPO is to be priced on Tuesday of this week.

That deal, which we had previously discussed when Mesa filed its initial registration statement with the SEC, was tentatively priced last week at $14-$16 a share. The airline would raise $160.5 million using the midpoint of this pricing. Proceeds of the offering will be used to pay down debt and for "general corporate purposes." Raymond James and BofA Merrill Lynch are lead bookrunners on the deal with Cowen, Stifel, and Imperial Capital acting as co-managers.

Assuming a successful IPO at the midpoint of the proposed price range, the company’s post-IPO market capitalization would be roughly $528 million, excluding the effect of underwriter over-allotment options.

For those of you with enquiring minds, you can watch the retail roadshow presentation here.

But again, do I think there is a link between news being leaked about a potential deal between Republic and Trans States and the Mesa IPO? Yes. Mesa said in its registration documents that one of the things it would consider doing with its new found money was "acquisitions". But it would have been very difficult for Mesa to consider an acquisition unless the airline did an IPO. Remember too that this IPO was rolled out very quickly – and as we mentioned before it's not exactly a great time for an IPO in the sector. In addition, while SkyWest just announced a slew of deals with its existing airline customers in its recent earnings call, there is no new growth cited in the Mesa presentations. Nor are there a lot of opportunities for new regional business out there – the result of scope pressure and increasing direct ownership of regional airlines by mainline carriers.

Put it all together, and yes, I think these two pieces of news are related. Either news of a potential deal was leaked in an attempt to short-circuit the viability of the Mesa IPO, or, a deal is indeed going to happen, and Republic made the decision to make the move now – before Mesa potentially has the financial means to start collecting regional partners. Like Trans States.

Shifting gears completely....
_____

We need to collectively be thankful it is Republic who is courting us.

ShooterMcGavin
08-08-2018, 08:52 PM
I thought I would share this piece from Holly Hageman of PlaneBusiness.

www.planebusiness.com if you’re curious of her.

It’s all making sense now.

_____
Shifting below the Canadian border, Jon Ostrower reported last week in his new publication, The Air Current, that a deal is in the works that would see regional airline Republic Airways acquire Trans States Holdings. Republic and Trans States are, respectively, the second and third largest regional airlines in the U.S. Nevertheless, if the two were to merge, SkyWest would remain the largest U.S. regional airline.

While talk about this link-up has been out there before, I found the timing of Jon's story interesting, as it came out right before the Mesa Air Group IPO is to be priced on Tuesday of this week.

That deal, which we had previously discussed when Mesa filed its initial registration statement with the SEC, was tentatively priced last week at $14-$16 a share. The airline would raise $160.5 million using the midpoint of this pricing. Proceeds of the offering will be used to pay down debt and for "general corporate purposes." Raymond James and BofA Merrill Lynch are lead bookrunners on the deal with Cowen, Stifel, and Imperial Capital acting as co-managers.

Assuming a successful IPO at the midpoint of the proposed price range, the company’s post-IPO market capitalization would be roughly $528 million, excluding the effect of underwriter over-allotment options.

For those of you with enquiring minds, you can watch the retail roadshow presentation here.

But again, do I think there is a link between news being leaked about a potential deal between Republic and Trans States and the Mesa IPO? Yes. Mesa said in its registration documents that one of the things it would consider doing with its new found money was "acquisitions". But it would have been very difficult for Mesa to consider an acquisition unless the airline did an IPO. Remember too that this IPO was rolled out very quickly – and as we mentioned before it's not exactly a great time for an IPO in the sector. In addition, while SkyWest just announced a slew of deals with its existing airline customers in its recent earnings call, there is no new growth cited in the Mesa presentations. Nor are there a lot of opportunities for new regional business out there – the result of scope pressure and increasing direct ownership of regional airlines by mainline carriers.

Put it all together, and yes, I think these two pieces of news are related. Either news of a potential deal was leaked in an attempt to short-circuit the viability of the Mesa IPO, or, a deal is indeed going to happen, and Republic made the decision to make the move now – before Mesa potentially has the financial means to start collecting regional partners. Like Trans States.

Shifting gears completely....
_____

We need to collectively be thankful it is Republic who is courting us.

But will JO swoop in at the last minute..

FlyingKat
08-08-2018, 10:26 PM
But will JO swoop in at the last minute..

If the article from last week is correct and a MOU has already been signed, its too late. If not Hulas will auction us to the highest bidder.....