Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest Interview...?

HeloToJets
02-03-2018, 07:35 AM
I am applying to a number of airlines having retired from the military and wanting to start a new flying career.

I have looked at SkyWest, but I am not sure whether I should apply or not. Here are my concerns...

1. I live on the East coast and SkyWest doesn't really have any East coast hubs. The closest is ATL.

2. They don't pay for the hotel for the interview. As I live on the East coast, I would need two nights, which currently unemployed, is expensive for me.

3. To be frank, from what I have read their interview is much longer, more involved, and requires more prep.

4. Double occupancy during training? Really?

If I am waiting for a response from an East Coast based airline, is there any reason to apply to and interview with Skywest? I am not looking for a war, but rather am looking for genuine career guidance. For example, is Skywest a better airline to have on my resume than say PSA, TSA, or Piedmont? Any other considerations?

Thanks for the advice.

WesternSkies
02-03-2018, 07:54 AM
-Not better on the resume by the name alone.

amcnd
02-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Only advantage you would have here at SkyWest is if we ever open a East Coast base it will be VERY Jr... and you would have a great schedule.. that being said. We have been told 20 E175’s flying the East Coast... time will tell if we open a base back there.. good luck. But honestly if thats to much of a gamble for you. Plenty of good options that you named...

flydiamond
02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
I am applying to a number of airlines having retired from the military and wanting to start a new flying career.

I have looked at SkyWest, but I am not sure whether I should apply or not. Here are my concerns...

1. I live on the East coast and SkyWest doesn't really have any East coast hubs. The closest is ATL.

2. They don't pay for the hotel for the interview. As I live on the East coast, I would need two nights, which currently unemployed, is expensive for me.

3. To be frank, from what I have read their interview is much longer, more involved, and requires more prep.

If I am waiting for a response from an East Coast based airline, is there any reason to apply to and interview with Skywest? I am not looking for a war, but rather am looking for genuine career guidance. For example, is Skywest a better airline to have on my resume than say PSA, TSA, or Piedmont? Any other considerations?

Thanks for the advice.

Where on the east coast are you? If within a one flight commute of both ATL and NYC and don’t live in one of the AA wholly owned bases I’d strongly consider Endeavor. Better pay, better schedules being a 75% CRJ900 airline, better commuter policies such as a positive space ride to work if necessary and alternate deadheads at the end of a trip. The fact we are appropriately staffed (if not fat on the FO side) allows a great QOL at the moment.

Regarding Skywest, given the current market it is unfortunate they don’t pay for the hotel for the interview and that the hotel for training is dual occupancy. The latter in my opinion devalues us as professionals.

PS I was offered an interview via Skype with Skywest. I’m not sure if that depends on whether or not one is already employed in a professional pilot (135/121) gig or not, but they do offer them.... Turned it down and interviewed in person as a personal preference. The interview was thorough but as long as one is prepared it is not hard...

amcnd
02-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Totally agree on the double occupancy.. I brought that up. And right now its also a “room inventory” problem.. that would double the rooms needed and the hotels won’t handle that as they loose, regular revenue rooms...

flydiamond
02-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Totally agree on the double occupancy.. I brought that up. And right now its also a “room inventory” problem.. that would double the rooms needed and the hotels won’t handle that as they loose, regular revenue rooms...

Bwhaha what a load of Kook-Aid they fed you there. It’s not inventory it’s Skywest being cheap.

Fr8Thrust
02-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Hotels don’t cater to airlines for the airline’s benefit alone; it’s mutual. Yes ‘revenue rooms’ are higher cost, but it’s also not guaranteed income. If OO really wanted to provide the rooms, they would make it work.

amcnd
02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Hotels don’t cater to airlines for the airline’s benefit alone; it’s mutual. Yes ‘revenue rooms’ are higher cost, but it’s also not guaranteed income. If OO really wanted to provide the rooms, they would make it work.

Very true. Crews would be spread out farther away from the training center. But they could find rooms. I know SLC and DEN they run into problems with the close hotels.. one guy wanted to pay extra for his own room. But the hotel didn’t have any...

bonanza
02-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Rooms are cheap in Salt Lake. I got a room fro $50 on priceline and booked red eye home from Salt Lake. You need to invest in yourself if your going to get a job.

They did offer a video interview to me but I wanted to go in person. You should apply. You can also say no.

gojo
02-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Bwhaha what a load of Kook-Aid they fed you there. It’s not inventory it’s Skywest being cheap.

Almost all of amcnd’s posts are very one sided. Prejudiced entirely towards Skywest. Sad to see really, but it’s time to start realizing our value as pilots. He’s like a race horse with the blinders on the side of their head. He only sees Skywest, and he’s missing what’s happening in the rest of the industry

amcnd
02-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Almost all of amcnd’s posts are very one sided. Prejudiced entirely towards Skywest. Sad to see really, but it’s time to start realizing our value as pilots. He’s like a race horse with the blinders on the side of their head. He only sees Skywest, and he’s missing what’s happening in the rest of the industry

I Told the guy to go to TSA/PSA. Hes aking why to come to a West Coast airline (well mostly Midwest now). He should know his answer..:

ready2copy
02-03-2018, 01:46 PM
For the interview you get a discount at the hotels they give you info for. I think my room was $60 after the discount. It would have been nice for them to pay for it, but I’m not that stressed out about it.

I’m in DEN right now going through training. The double occupancy during training isn't that bad over here. The hotel is nice, they cook you dinner a few times a week, breakfast every day, the rooms are clean and spacious. It’s almost like a small apartment. There is a living room and 2 separate bedrooms each with their own bathrooms. I enjoy having someone around to bounce questions off of.

The chief pilot came and talked to us a few days ago. He said he couldn’t say anything other than “we are very competitive and we tend to follow the competition”, hinting at the 175 going to ATL and even LGA. Who knows, I don’t really care for the east coast.

I also interviewed at Envoy. Envoys whole process was a mess. The people weren’t friendly, they were unorganized, the interview was a joke. I was there from 8-4pm and was only with the recruiters for maybe 25mins. At one point they left and we didn’t see one for an hour and a half...but they paid for everything.

SkyWest interview was much more in depth. I spent a lot of time studying and didn’t have any problems but the tech portion went into some detail. Very organized experience, the people were great, we had pilots coming by to introduce themselves almost every 10 minutes. I felt much more at home during the skw process, hence why I accepted this job offer and turned down 23k in bonuses from Envoy. Ouch.

Anyways, message me if you have any questions about the interview process. I have some good gouges.

Check Complete
02-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Any place but, SkyWest is not what it once was. Any regional looks the same on a resume.

And the double occupancy thing, they can't get enough rooms? Total BS!
We are adults, this isn't summer camp!

amcnd
02-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Any place but, SkyWest is not what it once was. Any regional looks the same on a resume.

And the double occupancy thing, they can't get enough rooms? Total BS!
We are adults, this isn't summer camp!

Call JB in training. She will tell you otherwise... one of the driving factors in opening DEN FSI training center was hotel availability and Travel to/from training...

nopantsILS
02-03-2018, 07:00 PM
I believe hotel space (at the desired price-point) is a problem but doubling people up isn't the right solution. Pay up or build yet another training center. This is a BIG company that is printing money right now, much of it on the back of the pilot group. Same thing with commuter hotels, someone was saying it would cost $6 million a year and that other smaller carriers see a fraction of the expense. Well, other carriers don't generate the $$ SKW does. It's all of scale.

Check Complete
02-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Call JB in training. She will tell you otherwise... one of the driving factors in opening DEN FSI training center was hotel availability and Travel to/from training...

You are full of crap.

A student can get their own room, they just have to pay for it.

This all about money and the fact that SkyWest can still find ways to milk it from their employees. The DEN training center was just to help with United dedicated flight crews.

And yes I know miss JB very well.

amcnd
02-04-2018, 06:30 AM
You are full of crap.

A student can get their own room, they just have to pay for it.

This all about money and the fact that SkyWest can still find ways to milk it from their employees. The DEN training center was just to help with United dedicated flight crews.

And yes I know miss JB very well.

Yes “a” student.... or a few. If all 100 did. Poor JB would be stressed out trying to find 100 more rooms every 2 weeks... I was trying to help a guy get his own room out in ATL. Do to his roommate snoring really bad... they had to move him to another hotel. And he had to wait 2 days..

Check Complete
02-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Yes “a” student.... or a few. If all 100 did. Poor JB would be stressed out trying to find 100 more rooms every 2 weeks... I was trying to help a guy get his own room out in ATL. Do to his roommate snoring really bad... they had to move him to another hotel. And he had to wait 2 days..

But the bottom line is it's money not logistics.

The above problem would not happen if they just planned on it in the first place.

Pure corporate greed!

N1234
02-04-2018, 08:55 AM
But the bottom line is it's money not logistics.

The above problem would not happen if they just planned on it in the first place.

Pure corporate greed!

Agreed - pretty much every issue can be addressed with sufficient money and time.

But the company doesn't view it as a priority.

Making up some excuses about it doesn't serve anyone.

It is what it is here.

gojo
02-04-2018, 11:12 AM

They do have other options. API for example would be happy to do it for a fee of course. Skywest is just trying to take as much as they can from you guys. My question to you is, why do you continue to defend some of these practices that Skywest does? Especially, this day in age. There are lots of companies that book lots of single rooms for training just fine. It’s time that you realize what you’re worth. You’re a professional

Check Complete
02-04-2018, 11:57 AM
They do have other options. API for example would be happy to do it for a fee of course. Skywest is just trying to take as much as they can from you guys. My question to you is, why do you continue to defend some of these practices that Skywest does? Especially, this day in age. There are lots of companies that book lots of single rooms for training just fine. It’s time that you realize what you’re worth. You’re a professional

Wait until you try some of our tasty koolaid!

And SkyWest doesn't look at us as professionals, but rather a necessary burden.

amcnd
02-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Evey Airline has its “issues”. This forum board can attest to that.. like i said. If you live in Charlotte why would you even ask on a SkyWest sub forum if you should come here. Gave him my reasons. But by all means avoid commuting.. SkyWest has issues... so Does Envoy/ Horizon. Ect. Pick the one you want to deal with...

gojo
02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Evey Airline has its “issues”. This forum board can attest to that.. like i said. If you live in Charlotte why would you even ask on a SkyWest sub forum if you should come here. Gave him my reasons. But by all means avoid commuting.. SkyWest has issues... so Does Envoy/ Horizon. Ect. Pick the one you want to deal with...

FFS, talk about resignation?? While it may be true that there is no perfect regional, at least many are working to improve them.

domino
02-04-2018, 05:03 PM

Skywest unfortunately lately has way more issues than many regionals. They lost their “prestige” years ago and are now close to the bottom.

word302
02-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Skywest unfortunately lately has way more issues than many regionals. They lost their “prestige” years ago and are now close to the bottom.

I don’t know about years ago, but I can’t argue with the rest.

IceFlash
02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
The double occupancy really isn't an issue. When I was hired at Envoy in 2011, we shared a regular room at a LaQuinta for weeks with just two double beds in it. That sucked, but the setup here isn't bad. Everyone has their own bedroom and you share the common area

hawk21
02-09-2018, 01:38 PM
The LGA 175 rumors are pretty strong with all this Delta flying we're picking up. That base will go pretty junior if it happens.

For what it's worth.

bonanza
02-09-2018, 03:17 PM
The double occupancy really isn't an issue. When I was hired at Envoy in 2011, we shared a regular room at a LaQuinta for weeks with just two double beds in it. That sucked, but the setup here isn't bad. Everyone has their own bedroom and you share the common area

That shouldn't be bad. I start next week. Could be nice having a room mate to study with.

Check Complete
02-09-2018, 03:35 PM
That shouldn't be bad. I start next week. Could be nice having a room mate to study with.

Next week you will be a professional airline pilot.

Act like one.

Expect to be treated as one.

This isn't boy scout camp.

Hold the profession!

Squallrider
02-10-2018, 06:22 AM

In my experience ppl make it out to be a bigger deal than what its is. You will 99% sure be paired with a Captain and they have their own room, so your roommate will be a FO who will probably have a different schedule than you in the sim so realistically after the initial ground you hardly see each other

word302
02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
In my experience ppl make it out to be a bigger deal than what its is. You will 99% sure be paired with a Captain and they have their own room, so your roommate will be a FO who will probably have a different schedule than you in the sim so realistically after the initial ground you hardly see each other

Actually FO FO sim pairings are pretty common these days.

Squallrider
02-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Actually FO FO sim pairings are pretty common these days.

Strange considering all crj upgrades and all the 175 deliveries.

word302
02-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Strange considering all crj upgrades and all the 175 deliveries.

Well we're still hiring 70-90 per month. We're not upgrading that many.

Excargodog
02-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Well we're still hiring 70-90 per month. We're not upgrading that many.

Apparently both Horizon and Compass have gotten themselves into a serious CA shortage with CAs and senior FOs going off to the majors in unexpected numbers while the newly hired FOs simply lack the 121 time to upgrade. The almost unprecedented opportunities for advancement appear to have caught a lot of HR and training departments sort of flat-footed. Throwing money at the vacancies with signing bonuses might help newbie recruitment, but it doesn't do as much for retention. Any CA who would turn down an offer from a major for a $10,000-20,000 retention bonus probably ought not to be trusted to calculate a weight & balance. And the same goes for an FO deciding to upgrade to CA in lieu of going to a major, only even more so.

amcnd
02-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Honestly. Will any airline be able to have good “retention”. Most pilots got into this feild to fly for the “Majors”... next 5+ years will be crazy attrition for all airlines.. still pick a regional that if the music stops your fine for a few extra years there...

word302
02-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Apparently both Horizon and Compass have gotten themselves into a serious CA shortage with CAs and senior FOs going off to the majors in unexpected numbers while the newly hired FOs simply lack the 121 time to upgrade. The almost unprecedented opportunities for advancement appear to have caught a lot of HR and training departments sort of flat-footed. Throwing money at the vacancies with signing bonuses might help newbie recruitment, but it doesn't do as much for retention. Any CA who would turn down an offer from a major for a $10,000-20,000 retention bonus probably ought not to be trusted to calculate a weight & balance. And the same goes for an FO deciding to upgrade to CA in lieu of going to a major, only even more so.
My question is was that attrition really that unexpected. The retirement numbers have been published for years. Compass hosed themselves by stopping hiring. Horizon hosed themselves by holding out on getting a deal signed with their pilots. Skywest has very smart management but I don't think that will be enough for the storm that's coming.

Excargodog
02-10-2018, 06:47 PM
My question is was that attrition really that unexpected. The retirement numbers have been published for years. Compass hosed themselves by stopping hiring. Horizon hosed themselves by holding out on getting a deal signed with their pilots. Skywest has very smart management but I don't think that will be enough for the storm that's coming.

I think it was a cultural thing. They could see the numbers, but the reality was so foreign to anything they'd ever known that they were unable to believe - at a very visceral level - that it would ever really happen.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

rickair7777
02-11-2018, 07:52 AM
I think it was a cultural thing. They could see the numbers, but the reality was so foreign to anything they'd ever known that they were unable to believe - at a very visceral level - that it would ever really happen.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Maybe so. Maybe the regionals just assumed the majors would do something about it.

There IS a solution, sponsored ab initio, perhaps salaried while in training. In the case of legacies, this would involve CFI to 1500 hours, then some time as a regional FO, then regional CA, before transitioning to mainline.

Airlines without feed would have to place 1500 hour pilots directly at mainline (ie jetbue). The way I would manage that is once IOE was done, the noobs would be limited to flying only with specially trained volunteer "mentor" CA's (who would get paid an over-ride) for about 1000 hours. The mentors would basically be trained as check-airmen, but not necessarily designated (since the FAA caps the number designated).

But they'd better get started now, because if they try to do it in a panic once they start cancelling flights the bottleneck might be the availability of training aircraft...

UA just announced a guaranteed job track for applicants at several regionals... you get screened before you start at the regional, and then automatically flow to UA.

flydiamond
02-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Airlines without feed would have to place 1500 hour pilots directly at mainline (ie jetbue). The way I would manage that is once IOE was done, the noobs would be limited to flying only with specially trained volunteer "mentor" CA's (who would get paid an over-ride) for about 1000 hours. The mentors would basically be trained as check-airmen, but not necessarily designated (since the FAA caps the number designated).

So it's ok for a 1500 hour ATP to fly with a revolving door of 2500 hour captains at a regional but at mainline they'd need to fly 1000 Hours with senior captains? Very flawed logic. A crj is no easier to fly than an Airbus.

blindfayth
02-11-2018, 05:27 PM
UA just announced a guaranteed job track for applicants at several regionals... you get screened before you start at the regional, and then automatically flow to UA.

Where did you see this?