Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Sovereign vs Excel cockpit

Lazyb757
02-04-2018, 12:04 PM
I know they have the same airframe cross section. Is the Sovereign cockpit roomier, tighter, the same, for tall pilots?

CA1900
02-04-2018, 06:15 PM
I know they have the same airframe cross section. Is the Sovereign cockpit roomier, tighter, the same, for tall pilots?

Lengthwise, it's identical. Width-wise, the Excels with the single FMS (like the NJA ones) are more comfortable as the center console is narrower, leaving a little room to "spread," which helps guys like me with longer legs.

Lazyb757
02-04-2018, 08:54 PM
Lengthwise, it's identical. Width-wise, the Excels with the single FMS (like the NJA ones) are more comfortable as the center console is narrower, leaving a little room to "spread," which helps guys like me with longer legs.

Thanks

But if you don't fit in an Excel, you're not gonna fit in a Sovereign, huh?

CA1900
02-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks

But if you don't fit in an Excel, you're not gonna fit in a Sovereign, huh?

Nope. They're basically the same front end, with slightly better avionics in the Sovereign. But I found the Sovereign to be a little tighter because of the dual FMS.

The Latitude, on the other hand, is super-comfortable. It's a Sovereign+ systems-wise, but with a much fatter fuselage. After many iterations, Cessna finally made a comfortable cockpit.

ASACapt
02-05-2018, 12:55 AM
I find the Sovereign roomier than the Excel. Not by much though.

David Puddy
02-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Nope. They're basically the same front end, with slightly better avionics in the Sovereign. But I found the Sovereign to be a little tighter because of the dual FMS.

The Latitude, on the other hand, is super-comfortable. It's a Sovereign+ systems-wise, but with a much fatter fuselage. After many iterations, Cessna finally made a comfortable cockpit.

Yes, the Latitude is the SHIZNIT. Got a tour a few months back - an awesome airplane!