Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : E-175 Reserve

sssergio
02-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Could anyone describe a typical E-175 reserve schedule? Days off per month, flexibility to bid 3 days-off in a row? Average time before becoming a line holder. I'll commuting to SEA and would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

snackysmores
02-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Could anyone describe a typical E-175 reserve schedule? Days off per month, flexibility to bid 3 days-off in a row? Average time before becoming a line holder. I'll commuting to SEA and would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

Right now we're missing 6 airplanes so we have a lot of people sitting around doing nothing right now. If the company isn't lying we will get 13 more jets this year so it should get better. Can't really predict anything until they start arriving again.

Migz74
02-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Thatís disheartening :( . How long is reserved in the jet?

WhiteH2O
02-06-2018, 01:12 PM
I read somewhere that on the February bid, there are 22 reserve lines supporting 34 regular lines of flying in the E175.

I'd plan on sitting reserve for a while, and hope the new planes come early.

Griever
02-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Number of lines increasing to 40 for March bid

sssergio
02-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your response. My understanding is that Horizon has 10 ERJs, are you saying 6 from those 10 are missing?

snackysmores
02-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your response. My understanding is that Horizon has 10 ERJs, are you saying 6 from those 10 are missing?

We were supposed to have 13 jets at the end of 2017. The remaining 3 for the year were leased to skywest and all future deliveries were halted until next month so in total we're missing about 6 right now, yet we're staffed for an even greater amount.

113 jet captains
92 jet FOs.

5 CA and 5 FOs per airplane, or 10 pilots total per plane.

205/10 = 20.5 E175s. But we only have 10. Hence the sitting around doing nothing.

trc8301
02-07-2018, 08:49 AM
We were supposed to have 13 jets at the end of 2017. The remaining 3 for the year were leased to skywest and all future deliveries were halted until next month so in total we're missing about 6 right now, yet we're staffed for an even greater amount.

113 jet captains
92 jet FOs.

5 CA and 5 FOs per airplane, or 10 pilots total per plane.

205/10 = 20.5 E175s. But we only have 10. Hence the sitting around doing nothing.

Much more time to troll APC though

pete2800
02-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Much more time to troll APC though

Nah, everyone's too busy at your mom's house.

:D

trc8301
02-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Nah, everyone's too busy at your mom's house.

:D

I'd go check up on that, but I can't....because I'm on reserve.

CurseURedBaron
02-07-2018, 03:56 PM
I'd go check up on that, but I can't....because I'm on reserve.

Lol. #commentwin

Excargodog
03-26-2018, 10:19 PM
So are new E-jet FOs going to get their consolidation time in time? Or are they still getting minimal hours of block time?

jmrider0717
03-30-2018, 11:59 AM
So are new E-jet FOs going to get their consolidation time in time? Or are they still getting minimal hours of block time?

I can only speak for myself, but I have been on reserve since October following my checkride, and i didn't make consolidation. Some people in my class did make consolidation by picking up open time on their days off early in the year. However, there is even less open time now, because of the increase in staffing since then.

Excargodog
03-30-2018, 12:32 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I have been on reserve since October following my checkride, and i didn't make consolidation. Some people in my class did make consolidation by picking up open time on their days off early in the year. However, there is even less open time now, because of the increase in staffing since then.

Sorry. Did they get you an extension or are you going to need another check ride?

This transition to jets is starting to look a little FUBAR, IMHO.

jmrider0717
03-31-2018, 01:57 PM
Sorry. Did they get you an extension or are you going to need another check ride?

This transition to jets is starting to look a little FUBAR, IMHO.

Already went back through CQ last month.

SnowmanKiller
04-04-2018, 06:48 AM
What is consolidation time?

Is it a bad time to be applying to Horizon with all the FOs and few planes? Should I wait a couple months and see if the planes come in?

Taylor814ce
04-04-2018, 06:59 AM
What is consolidation time?

Is it a bad time to be applying to Horizon with all the FOs and few planes? Should I wait a couple months and see if the planes come in?

11th E175 has already arrived.

I would apply sooner than later as I heard Jet classes are filled. So longer you wait to apply longer it will take for you to get class...this is if you want the Jet.

Excargodog
04-04-2018, 07:17 AM
11th E175 has already arrived.

I would apply sooner than later as I heard Jet classes are filled. So longer you wait to apply longer it will take for you to get class...this is if you want the Jet.

The issue is less the E-175s arriving than the Q400s leaving. Every departing Q400 will free up five Q400 FOs who will want to move to the jet, and every single one of them will be more senior to any newbie.

Consolidation time is a requirement that you actually block,that is FLY, a certain amount of hours within a short time after getting a new type rating to 'consolidate' your training. If you can't get your required minimum, you are retested and/or retrained.

Sitting on reserve gets you your guaranteed minimum hours FOR PAY purposes but it doesn't necessarily get you actual flying hours. And for an airline changing equipment, with all the senior FOs flying aircraft that are going away, it is possible for newcomers to be trapped at the bottom of the seniority list for a LONG LONG TIME if that transition isn't masterfully handled.

Nothing about this transition seems to have been masterfully handled so far, IMHO anyway.

Griever
04-04-2018, 08:29 AM
The issue is less the E-175s arriving than the Q400s leaving. Every departing Q400 will free up five Q400 FOs who will want to move to the jet, and every single one of them will be more senior to any newbie.

Some of those FO will upgrade, so it won't be as much of an issue for new hire seniority. The true issue is for the junior CA that might be displaced out of the jet or seat if there's a base closure.

Welcome to the airlines. This is how it goes.

snackysmores
04-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Yep, the way this airline operates there will be another base closure, potentially more than one, at the end of this year. All the junior captains on the jet (the bottom 35 or so) will get booted back to the right seat unfortunately.

ftaba1
04-04-2018, 10:40 AM
What makes you believe there will be more base closures? Just curious.

Yep, the way this airline operates there will be another base closure, potentially more than one, at the end of this year. All the junior captains on the jet (the bottom 35 or so) will get booted back to the right seat unfortunately.

Excargodog
04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Some of those FO will upgrade, so it won't be as much of an issue for new hire seniority. The true issue is for the junior CA that might be displaced out of the jet or seat if there's a base closure.

Welcome to the airlines. This is how it goes.

So if one or two of them upgrade, that only leaves three of them per Q400 jumping over the seniority of the junior FOs. And how many total Q400s are going away this year?

:eek:

Excargodog
04-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Putting the junior FOs even farther away from holding a line....:(

snackysmores
04-04-2018, 12:28 PM
So if one or two of them upgrade, that only leaves three of them per Q400 jumping over the seniority of the junior FOs. And how many total Q400s are going away this year?

:eek:

We are getting 13 jets and losing 15 Qs. A net loss of aircraft this year.

What makes you believe there will be more base closures? Just curious.

That's the way it's always been done in the past. As we lose more planes the marketing team and bean counters will do what they do best and determine that MFR, GEG, and/or BOI "do not make business sense" anymore and will be closed. BOI is under a unique threat because Skywest has a E175 base there now complete with a Mx facility.

I hope I'm wrong, I really am. I can only speak from experience.

Once the first base is announced for closure there will be a displacement bid. If there is no PDX Jet base by that time, most of them will probably take PDX Q400 CA for an easier commute (and because SEA blows). This will displace a lot of junior PDX CAs who will will most likely take the jet in SEA if they're forced to re-base there, thus kicking the junior jet CAs out of their seats because most of the junior PDX CAs have years of seniority on the junior jet CAs. Will be a sh!tshow that's for sure.

In the grand scheme I can see this airline having only PDX and SEA as bases. The Q will always stay in PDX, but SEA could be nicked too to make room for more jets.

DashAviator
04-04-2018, 04:01 PM
No base closures have been announced, so everything here is just speculation... in my opinion, the worst outcome (seniority-wise) would be if Horizon were to close the Boise base. I suspect many of the displaced pilots would immediately bid the jet.

BigfatQ
04-04-2018, 10:37 PM
Not that I'm doubting what you're saying Smacky, but why would junior captains get downgraded if the seniors were going to bid the jet? The total number of captains needed should still be the same. And it should be easy to make up for the net loss of two planes by just letting some more attrition happen and hiring a little less

snackysmores
04-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Not that I'm doubting what you're saying Smacky, but why would junior captains get downgraded if the seniors were going to bid the jet? The total number of captains needed should still be the same. And it should be easy to make up for the net loss of two planes by just letting some more attrition happen and hiring a little less

I would think the senior Q captains of the outstations would prefer PDX Q CA over SEA Jet CA because the commute is easier and the trips are better right now, at least until a PDX Jet base opens up.

If theres no PDX jet base, the senior Q captains will want PDX Q CA, thus giving the boot to the junior PDX Q captains. If those guys are displaced to SEA they will probably take the jet and boot out the junior SEA jet CAs.

snackysmores
04-05-2018, 02:14 AM
I would think the senior Q captains of the outstations would prefer PDX Q CA over SEA Jet CA because the commute is easier and the trips are better right now, at least until a PDX Jet base opens up.

If theres no PDX jet base, the senior Q captains will want PDX Q CA, thus giving the boot to the junior PDX Q captains. If those guys are displaced to SEA they will probably take the jet and boot out the junior SEA jet CAs.

Ah I stand corrected. The PDX junior Q400 captains would get displaced to SEA E175 CA, but there wouldn't be downgrades to FO. It will just make gaining any seniority for junior jet CAs impossible.

BigfatQ
04-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification

fivebyfive
04-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know what the max # of Pilots can be in the PDX E175 satellite base before it must be termed a regular base? Seems like the whole “PDX satellite” thing is in place to keep from loosing valuable PDX Q400 Cptns to the Jet. The company would rather upgrade F/Os. Anyone??

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1