Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SEA domicile.

Excargodog
02-06-2018, 07:25 AM
What is the probability of getting SEA out of training and the current reserve situation there? The Horizon E-175 program there seems to be floundering for lack of aircraft right now.

Beechnutz
02-06-2018, 07:37 AM
SEA is no problem to get. No idea what reserve is like. Shouldnít be long but things are always changing.

Av8rPHX
02-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Let me give the old magic 8 ball a shake..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3PerRev
02-06-2018, 12:49 PM
During a recent interview, was told by several people that Seattle would be easy to get straight away.

mpet
02-06-2018, 03:51 PM
During a recent interview, was told by several people that Seattle would be easy to get straight away.

From the last few vacancies I've seen, yes this is the case

ConfCodeCOOL
02-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Still correct, Seattle may actually be the junior base here pretty soon tho new hires have still been going to all 3, LAX, PHX and SEA.

Terrain
02-07-2018, 07:34 PM
My hiring date was 11/16/17. That indoc day new hires submit preferences for bases (SEA, LAX, PHX). This preference remains a standing bid.

The week I started ground school (12/4) the results came in and I got LAX, my second choice. The next vacancy bid results (to go into effect for March, I think) showed seven new hire FOs junior to me getting SEA. I also got SEA, and I havenít finished training.

So Iíd say if your start date is in first quarter 2018, you have a good chance of getting SEA out of training. Could change later this year, after all, this is the regionals.

creepster
02-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Hello all! New to airline world, and new to this site... I am in the interview cycle now- sounds like I'll be interviewing with Compass on Friday of this week... Background: B-1 and T-38 IP...

Several questions:

1. With the new-hire bonus structure, is Compass requiring you to sign a commitment?

2. What's the reserve time like? How close must you be to domicile? How long before you get a line number at SEA (if I were to get that out of training)?

Thanks!!

AirBat
02-13-2018, 10:09 AM
No commitment.
Reserve time is anybody's guess but should be pretty short if we can backfill people behind you because they need FO's like crazy so expect to fly.
Reserve is a 2 hr callout, and they can make you do airport ready reserve some # of times per month. We also used to have 12 hr long call reserve but it has been gone for 3 months now due to the lack of staffing on the FO side.

Excargodog
02-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Several questions:

1. With the new-hire bonus structure, is Compass requiring you to sign a commitment?

2. How close must you be to domicile?

No commitment but they do space out the payments. Your final $7500 only comes to you at one year.

You can live in Tanzania if you can hack the commute. Short call reserve is just two hours though which in Seattle rush hour traffic can be problematic if you live in Snohomish county or the north end. People have been known to drive to SeaTac, check their bags, and then just hang out in the city near the light rail. Even from the U Dub, itíll get you back to the airport in 45 min or so.

Apartments are available but relatively expensive compared to LAX or PHX.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Apartments are available but relatively expensive compared to LAX or PHX.

Or you can be like Poser and sleep in a van down by the river!

http://i68.tinypic.com/ixf5oj.jpg

N914FJ
02-15-2018, 02:13 PM
You'll probably get SLC when it opens.

VIRotate
02-15-2018, 02:37 PM
You'll probably get SLC when it opens.

We are finally being bought by OO?! I knew the FAs were on to something!

Taco280AI
02-15-2018, 02:57 PM
That would get rid of a BOI SEA commute at least :D

Poser765
02-17-2018, 04:54 AM
Or you can be like Poser and sleep in a van down by the river!

http://i68.tinypic.com/ixf5oj.jpgIt's really the classiest way to go!

Slowhawk
02-20-2018, 03:20 PM
as of 2/20/18,

looks like anyone can get SEA out of training. At the time of my writing this, new hires can pick any base they want and get it by the time they finish training. I imagine PHX will soon become impossible to get out of training, as a lot of people are coming to CPZ for PHX.

Seattle has been seeing healthy growth for the past 5 months and likely will not stagnate or decrease in size in 2018.

if you were here in 2016 or 2017, Seattle was awful. No movement, year plus reserve, etc.... But that time has passed, and the whole company felt the 2017 hiring freeze in that way.

Reserve time looks short, and the reserves are flying a lot. I've spent the past 5 months in SEA on reserve at the most junior spot. Finally, the new guys started hitting the line in December, and in 3 months I went from bottom reserve guy to bottom line holder FWIW. Was flying 45-60 hours a month on reserve here.

Also, cost of living is high, but nothing like LAX cost of living.

If you get stuck in LAX for a few months, that commute is easy

Naaay
03-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Thank for the info on here....dropped my app and SEA will be my #1 if I get the call. Time to start the move back out west!

Fr8Thrust
04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Since AA flying comes through SEA 5x per day, canít we get AA trips for SEA crews? Every other base does SEA flying on DL. Could this help our pairing efficiency? Thoughts?

VIRotate
04-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Since AA flying comes through SEA 5x per day, canít we get AA trips for SEA crews? Every other base does SEA flying on DL. Could this help our pairing efficiency? Thoughts?

ďThatís a good point. Weíll look into it.Ē

mpet
04-12-2018, 07:13 PM
We'll see what levers we can pull with American

week
04-16-2018, 09:12 PM
My hiring date was 11/16/17.... Iím still in training

WHAT? You were hired in November, started class in early december, and now in Mid April arenít on the line ?! Out training department is to blame for this FO shortage

Excargodog
04-17-2018, 07:26 AM
WHAT? You were hired in November, started class in early december, and now in Mid April arenít on the line ?! Out training department is to blame for this FO shortage
He posted that in early February. Do you know for a fact he's still in training?

Pilatipus
04-17-2018, 08:40 AM

The last classes of 2017 had some issues for sure but it's getting better. My class date was 1/18 and I start IOE tomorrow 4/18. So exactly three months from indoc to IOE

Terrain
04-17-2018, 10:47 AM
He posted that in early February. Do you know for a fact he's still in training?

My LOE is scheduled for 4/20. So yes...yes I am (still in training).

Excargodog
04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
My LOE is scheduled for 4/20. So yes...yes I am (still in training).

As they say in Texas, 'You pooooor thaaangg!'

Hope the LOE goes smoothly and uneventfully, and you can get a brief respite at home. Then,.... well, I don't think you are going to have to sweat making your consolidation time, like the FO's of another regional I could name have had difficulty with. In fact, I think they are gonna fly your butt off this summer.
;)

Good luck to you.

VIRotate
04-17-2018, 08:50 PM
The last classes of 2017 had some issues for sure but it's getting better. My class date was 1/18 and I start IOE tomorrow 4/18. So exactly three months from indoc to IOE

3 months is pretty normal. Glad to hear we are getting guys on line a littler faster it seems.

PhotoFlyer
04-24-2018, 09:47 PM
3 months is pretty normal. Glad to hear we are getting guys on line a littler faster it seems.

Is that without any gaps/time off or 3 months straight through?

VIRotate
04-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Is that without any gaps/time off or 3 months straight through?

Iím sure there are a few days here and there when sims start depending on your schedule. I think I had 4 days between mine. Pretty standard stuff.

Beechnutz
04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Iíve had three individual weeks off in between training so far.

WingisKing
06-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Hi all,

NOOB here. Used to fly for Comair back in the day. Thinking about jumping back in. I live in SEA. Is it possible to have someone send me a SEA bid packet via PM or something? Just trying to get an idea of the quantity/type of flying so I can estimate QOL.

Thank you in advance.....

AirBat
06-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi Wing. We canít do that as it is a security issue (hotels etc are listed on the bid packet.) what questions did you have and we would be happy to answer? Right now itís mostly 4-5 day trips, average credit 5 hrs a day, average about 3-4 legs a day. Some longer stuff like sea San sea phx still but a lot of sea geg, sea pdx eug mfr etc... sometimes youíll get over to slc and then itís slc abq, slc smf, etc.

WingisKing
06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi Wing. We canít do that as it is a security issue (hotels etc are listed on the bid packet.) what questions did you have and we would be happy to answer? Right now itís mostly 4-5 day trips, average credit 5 hrs a day, average about 3-4 legs a day. Some longer stuff like sea San sea phx still but a lot of sea geg, sea pdx eug mfr etc... sometimes youíll get over to slc and then itís slc abq, slc smf, etc.

Thank you AirBat. Just shooting from the hip, could you give a breakdown of what percentage of the flying is 1 day trips, 2 day trips, 3 day, etc. Also, like you did for the 4 and 5 day trips, could you indicate average credit hours for 1 day, 2 day, 3 day, etc? Also, are people still able to get SEA right out of training? Thank you!

TillerTemptress
06-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Thank you AirBat. Just shooting from the hip, could you give a breakdown of what percentage of the flying is 1 day trips, 2 day trips, 3 day, etc. Also, like you did for the 4 and 5 day trips, could you indicate average credit hours for 1 day, 2 day, 3 day, etc? Also, are people still able to get SEA right out of training? Thank you!
SEA out of training no problem, worst case scenario maybe a month in LAX but I really doubt it, everyone seems to get what they want out of training. I keep thinking PHX will go senior at some point but it never does. Right now it's 70% 4 and 5 days, almost no day trips. So prob 2% day trip 14% 2 day 14% 3 day.They tell us in the emails they're hoping to fix that and it's temporary due to staffing, but who knows. A year ago it seemed like it was 30% day trips, 40% 2-3 days, and the rest was 4-5 days. It has really changed in the past year. Average credit is like 6 hours on the day trips, going down to 5 hours a day on the 5 days. (We have a 4 hour min day, and some of the jr trips are only 4 hours a day right now, but obviously there is some better stuff that goes more senior, it's a 5 hr average in SEA.)
I don't think our pairings right now are representative of what it will be, they are quite garbage to be honest but that's because they are just trying to keep the airline flying, we are getting back to normal staffing and hopefully the more productive trips we used to have.

WingisKing
06-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Thank you Tiller. That's pretty much what I was looking for.