Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Possible new bases?

9easy
02-08-2018, 03:16 PM
The company investor report shows roughly 17 "new" planes for 2019. What are the predictions for the next bases?

My guess is AUS SRQ SAV PSP.

KC135
02-08-2018, 03:59 PM
MCI and AUS. More planes for PGD and also SFB when the terminal expansion is complete. PIE should also see a couple of those additional planes now that UPS leaving cleared up some gate space.

CAirBear
02-08-2018, 06:18 PM
MCI and AUS. More planes for PGD and also SFB when the terminal expansion is complete. PIE should also see a couple of those additional planes now that UPS leaving cleared up some gate space.

I would kill for MCI, but what I thought was concerning (and I didnít realize this) when talking about new routes they mentioned LAS-MCI. He said maybe. They did use to fly this route already. I get SW and 9K do it as well, but I was very surprised we arenít anymore. I do know we still do SFB, PIE, PGD and IWA. Hopefully it can be one. When asked about any more Midwest bases they just said yes, but didnít elaborate. At least he gave a hard no on CLE for the first time lol 🤷🏼*♂️

I doubt PSP. When asked if they would fly LAS-PSP they said no. Itís too close/short.

labbats
02-08-2018, 06:22 PM
My guess for Midwest would be BLV

akulahunter
02-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Eww, Eww, I wanna play!

AUS (they said yes), STL/KC (Yes to midwest), and SAV (they said short list). Also with a shout out to SRQ (makes sense because PIE/PGD are already bursting at the seams if they add two more in PIE).

Odds?

JustWatching
02-08-2018, 07:26 PM
I would kill for MCI, but what I thought was concerning (and I didnít realize this) when talking about new routes they mentioned LAS-MCI. He said maybe. They did use to fly this route already. I get SW and 9K do it as well, but I was very surprised we arenít anymore. I do know we still do SFB, PIE, PGD and IWA. Hopefully it can be one. When asked about any more Midwest bases they just said yes, but didnít elaborate. At least he gave a hard no on CLE for the first time lol 🤷🏼*♂️

I doubt PSP. When asked if they would fly LAS-PSP they said no. Itís too close/short.

We did LAS-MCI until a month or so ago. Loads were terrible... 60-70% most flights.

9easy
02-08-2018, 07:38 PM
I only mention PSP because the inflight magazine makes it look like a hub, and it probably does have a lot of potential for winter flights. I doubt the airport is at capacity although you have the typical high operating costs of California.

I talked to the manager at BLV, he claimed the airport was approached about making it a base, in exchange for expanding the terminal. The airport said no thanks. Same problem probably for Austin, the space is pretty maxed out already and would require additional construction I imagine.

Lugar
02-08-2018, 07:54 PM
I only mention PSP because the inflight magazine makes it look like a hub, and it probably does have a lot of potential for winter flights. I doubt the airport is at capacity although you have the typical high operating costs of California.

I talked to the manager at BLV, he claimed the airport was approached about making it a base, in exchange for expanding the terminal. The airport said no thanks. Same problem probably for Austin, the space is pretty maxed out already and would require additional construction I imagine.

Alaska has a hold on PSP until 2020. After then, other airlines can add additional routes from there without Alaskaís approval.

Beech Dude
02-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Any chance Allegiant ever domiciles in PHL...I just don't get PIT, and...GO.

PilotJim
02-08-2018, 09:11 PM
From what I can see, IWA-MCI is going away in April. I would have thought theyíd at least run it through MLB spring training.

ysslah
02-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Youíd see ABE, BWI, or EWR before you see PHL. We donít even fly there. I live in the area, and I would love to see any of those places turn into a base though

astaz
02-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I believe I heard the MCI was too competitive and we didn't want to pursue new flying too aggressively. One I haven't heard mentioned which I have been thinking a lot about as a quality base: MKE.

G4IND
02-09-2018, 01:54 AM
What are the chances we see flying to ATL, DFW, IAH, and other larger airports. The investor presentation gave the impression that there was a focus on expanding to larger destinations.

grnclvrs
02-09-2018, 07:27 AM
TYS, BLV, SAV, and MSY

akulahunter
02-09-2018, 07:42 AM
TYS, BLV, SAV, and MSY

Soooooo, when TYS is a base, how much competition am I going to have in getting there? Lol

Alexander12
02-09-2018, 08:06 AM

PIT makes sense to grow Iíd think. Itís a fairly large city with not much mainline competition besides SWA and even then their not very large there.

CAirBear
02-09-2018, 08:31 AM
I believe I heard the MCI was too competitive and we didn't want to pursue new flying too aggressively. One I haven't heard mentioned which I have been thinking a lot about as a quality base: MKE.

Very surprising. Same size as IND in a lot of metrics. I get SW has a decent presence in MCI, but give me a break - they are not even remotely close to being an LCC anymore. It is crazy how expensive SW is. No doubt they have a loyal customer base though. Iím from DSM and have a lot of friends/family in KC. Itís a great city. Very surprising we arent having much success there.

It would be interesting, as an experiment, if they could get a gate/ramp at the downtown Wheeler airport and see if loads change much. It will def save them some money in landing fees and for most people it is a lot closer than driving north to MCI.

labbats
02-09-2018, 11:32 AM
I donít think Wheeler allows air carriers.

Nice location though.

Coehill
02-09-2018, 12:19 PM
AUS, MEM, MSY, SAV, JAX,RFD. are my guesses

Interesting what was said about BLV being approached as a domicile. If the airport won't expand, you may see a potential for STL if they give us a discount, similar to CAK/CLE.

G4IND
02-11-2018, 05:46 AM

St. Clair County IL budget shows changes for sheriff, parks | Belleville News-Democrat (http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article188398674.html)

BLV is expanding their terminal
"In 2018, the airport plans to expand the passenger terminal and rehabilitate airport access roads."

sqwkvfr
02-11-2018, 02:48 PM
PIT makes sense to grow Iíd think. Itís a fairly large city with not much mainline competition besides SWA and even then their not very large there.

Thatís because the airport fees in PIT are astronomical. I read once that it costs an additional $1500 in fees per flight to operate out of there as opposed to Latrobe...itís the reason Airways left.

Itís really too bad....that airport terminal is one of the best designs ever.

TransWorld
02-11-2018, 05:14 PM
St. Clair County IL budget shows changes for sheriff, parks | Belleville News-Democrat (http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article188398674.html)

BLV is expanding their terminal
"In 2018, the airport plans to expand the passenger terminal and rehabilitate airport access roads."

In 2020, they will build blast pads for 747s. Oh, really? Who is going to be flying in and out of there with a 747? Have to be a freight dog from the Far East. Wonít be a plane with PAX.

CAirBear
02-11-2018, 07:28 PM
In 2020, they will build blast pads for 747s. Oh, really? Who is going to be flying in and out of there with a 747? Have to be a freight dog from the Far East. Wonít be a plane with PAX.

I would think having 2 (maybe 3) jet bridges as it has already, is more than adequate. Itís not like BLV is going to be SFB. Realistically 2-3 airplanes. Iím not sure why you have to, possibly wait, for a terminal expansion first.

Hovernut
02-11-2018, 08:31 PM

I'm from STL and there was indeed a proposal a few years back for there to be a big freight port for Asian freighters in the Bi-State area...hence 747 blast pads!

Alexander12
02-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Thatís because the airport fees in PIT are astronomical. I read once that it costs an additional $1500 in fees per flight to operate out of there as opposed to Latrobe...itís the reason Airways left.

Itís really too bad....that airport terminal is one of the best designs ever.

Wow thatís a crying shame. If thatís the case I canít imagine us growing there then either!

tailendcharlie
02-12-2018, 06:12 AM
High fees to pay for the new terminal built in the early 90's for USAir.

9easy
02-12-2018, 11:54 AM
I've seen cargolux 747's as well as East Asian 747s cargo operators in BLV a few times. It already seems to be a popular cargo port!

Duksrule
02-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Youíd see ABE, BWI, or EWR before you see PHL. We donít even fly there. I live in the area, and I would love to see any of those places turn into a base though

My in laws live near and fly PIT-PGD and say the flights are always packed.

G4IND
02-13-2018, 05:28 AM
Allegiant plans year-round base at VPS - News - Northwest Florida Daily News - Fort Walton Beach, FL (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20180213/allegiant-plans-year-round-base-at-vps)

Out West
02-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Allegiant plans year-round base at VPS - News - Northwest Florida Daily News - Fort Walton Beach, FL (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20180213/allegiant-plans-year-round-base-at-vps)

Beat me to it. Talk about living in base for this kid....thatís less than 10 minutes.

Of course, thereís the question of getting hired and actually getting the base

wilco811
02-13-2018, 11:09 AM
What's the prediction? Is VPS going super senior???

9easy
02-13-2018, 11:41 AM

A lot of people probably haven't updated their bids yet. But as of the standing bids that were published yesterday VPS will go junior.

wette460
02-13-2018, 11:43 AM

From what I've heard around the FL bases there is a handful or less of guys that are very senior that are going to bid it and the rest is up in the air.

wilco811
02-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Thank you x2 for your replies.

ecam
02-13-2018, 01:47 PM
A lot of people probably haven't updated their bids yet. But as of the standing bids that were published yesterday VPS will go junior.

Ha! Not surprised if it goes junior. Who wants to do 4 legs a day at some overpriced backwater tourist trap. Too bad they can't make AUS happen, everyone would love that. VPS is nowheresville.

sqwkvfr
02-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Ha! Not surprised if it goes junior. Who wants to do 4 legs a day at some overpriced backwater tourist trap. Too bad they can't make AUS happen, everyone would love that. VPS is nowheresville.

Housing prices in AUS are astronomical, there are no good neighborhoods near the airport, and traffic to and from Hill Country is a nightmare

Speak for yourself.

ecam
02-14-2018, 05:39 AM
Speak for yourself.

I was.

Go away. You're like a gnat.

sqwkvfr
02-14-2018, 06:44 AM
I was.

But you weren’t:

everyone would love that

Go away. You're like a gnat.

...and you a smelly, uninformed, steaming pile of....well, you know.

Regardless, I’ll be here. Your arrogant condescension, know it all attitude and incessant complaining needs balance.

CAirBear
02-14-2018, 09:05 AM
ECAM and Sqwkvfr,

Please utilize the ďIgnoreĒ feature here on APC where you cannot see one anotherís post.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

Out West
02-16-2018, 06:57 AM

Fantastic troll job, two thumbs up!

tom11011
02-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Hard to commute as well, 2 legs from anywhere.

chrisreedrules
02-23-2018, 07:20 AM
VPS is a nice area if the panhandle is your thing. Nice beaches at least.

tom11011
02-23-2018, 10:53 AM
VPS is a nice area if the panhandle is your thing. Nice beaches at least.

They are beautiful. Although Clearwater was just named best beach in the USA for 2018.

wilco811
02-23-2018, 04:09 PM
What are some of the key differences between the panhandle area and the main section of Florida , like St Pete/PGD area?

stevero
02-23-2018, 04:15 PM
geographical location
sun rises at different times
different broads on tinder and bumble
What are some of the key differences between the panhandle area and the main section of Florida , like St Pete/PGD area?

wilco811
02-23-2018, 04:54 PM
geographical location
sun rises at different times
different broads on tinder and bumble
Hmm, I see. Thanks for enlightening me.

grnclvrs
02-24-2018, 07:59 AM
They are beautiful. Although Clearwater was just named best beach in the USA for 2018.

Pack a lunch for the drive across the causeway next month.

TBucs
02-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Tampa has the world famous Mons Venus::D

ecam
02-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Panhandle = tourists and fishermen mingling with rednecks in jacked up pickup trucks

Central FL = meth heads, mullets, and gun violence. A little hotter.

Either way, Florida blows.

crxpilot
02-25-2018, 04:20 AM
Panhandle = tourists and fishermen mingling with rednecks in jacked up pickup trucks

As long as sheís good at it, whoís to judge?

wilco811
02-25-2018, 04:51 AM

Hahaha!! Sounds like the panhandle is the place to be and the obvious no brainer choice here. I'm gonna put in for the VPS base based on your post, thank you!

ecam
02-25-2018, 08:51 AM
As long as she’s good at it, who’s to judge?

:cool:

Hahaha!! Sounds like the panhandle is the place to be and the obvious no brainer choice here. I'm gonna put in for the VPS base based on your post, thank you!

Haha go for it sport! Let us know how it is.

chrisreedrules
03-03-2018, 06:02 AM

Haha!

Panhandle is its own kind of special. But the beaches can be really nice. The southern gulf coast is nice too. South Florida/Miami is okay to visit once /year but living there would be terrible in my opinion. Central Florida is only good if you enjoy scuba diving in caves. North Florida is basically just southern Georgia. I think Jacksonville is one of the most rapidly growing cities in the US right now. Iím kind of surprised someone hasnít opened a domicile there yet.

CAirBear
03-03-2018, 06:17 AM
Haha!

Panhandle is its own kind of special. But the beaches can be really nice. The southern gulf coast is nice too. South Florida/Miami is okay to visit once /year but living there would be terrible in my opinion. Central Florida is only good if you enjoy scuba diving in caves. North Florida is basically just southern Georgia. I think Jacksonville is one of the most rapidly growing cities in the US right now. Iím kind of surprised someone hasnít opened a domicile there yet.

JAX would make a million times more sense than Destin. As you said, the panhandle is Southern GA. It isnít that warm in the middle of winter. It is a great seasonal base, no doubt.

I just donít see it being, outside of late spring thru early fall, it being a huge success. I mean 2 airplanes 15 crews and 20 some markets all year? Really?

armypilot
03-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Heard a rumor a while back that AUS was on the radar for being a base. Any truth or insight to that?

Thanks!
AP

akulahunter
03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
JAX would make a million times more sense than Destin. As you said, the panhandle is Southern GA. It isnít that warm in the middle of winter. It is a great seasonal base, no doubt.

I just donít see it being, outside of late spring thru early fall, it being a huge success. I mean 2 airplanes 15 crews and 20 some markets all year? Really?

Actually Super Stud, Destin is more like LA (Lower Alabama). One of the spots I used to visit while in flight training in P-Cola was THE Florabama. Annual Mullet toss there! Woot!

On a side note, I'm pretty sure that they have a reason to open Destin as a base. (Even hypothetically to establish a presence for the second Sunseeker resort on the Gulf Coast)

tom11011
03-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Heard a rumor a while back that AUS was on the radar for being a base. Any truth or insight to that?

Thanks!
AP

Every quarterly town hall meeting it is asked about but still a no. It seems the next domicile to open may be Savannah.

Machaca
03-05-2018, 06:22 AM

Jax really wouldn't make that much sense...it isn't a standard FL destination, it isn't even close to a vacation area,with the rare exception of Ponte Vedra and the golfing. The beaches aren't that great any longer, the traffic is on par or worse than Orlando on 95 and the SW side of 295. Destin, on the other hand, can pull more traffic in and out, considering the surrounding area. If Panama City and the beach ever pulls their head out, that could be a great area for some moderate growth. I wish this had been an option when I first got hired here...

KC135
03-05-2018, 08:16 AM
I agree about the Jax destination comments but with a 1.6 million metro area population it still offers good medium sized city demand. Jax used to be the town hall talk for the next base a few years ago but it has plateaued out with 15 departures per week (for now) with 20 being the minimum for a crew base.

BLV is at the top of the list for the next domicile with SAV and AUS a close second. MEM and MCI have good odds also. I think we see 3 of those 5 open next year after the transition.

chrisreedrules
03-07-2018, 01:51 PM
I agree about the Jax destination comments but with a 1.6 million metro area population it still offers good medium sized city demand. Jax used to be the town hall talk for the next base a few years ago but it has plateaued out with 15 departures per week (for now) with 20 being the minimum for a crew base.

BLV is at the top of the list for the next domicile with SAV and AUS a close second. MEM and MCI have good odds also. I think we see 3 of those 5 open next year after the transition.

I disagree with the above posts about the beaches... We probably have some of the nicer Atlantic-Coast beaches in Florida. Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, Atlantic Beach, Micklers Beach / Ponte Vedra on down to St Augustine Beach and Anastasia Island. Everything from ďpartyĒ beaches to beaches you can drive your 4x4 truck on and beaches you arenít likely to see another soul on many months out of the year. Not to mention excellent offshore fishing a scuba diving etc. But thatís okay, itís got a lot of hidden gems and I donít mind keeping it that way ;) ...Traffic has become downright awful in JAX though. It was recently rated one of the top worst cities in the whole nation for traffic and congestion.

An interesting note on SAV... That place is experiencing steady growth in both the aviation industry sector and also in tourism. Itís become as popular as Charleston, SC.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1