Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Need a class 1 to apply to AAL?

golf papa
02-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Hi,

Should be an easy question to answer -- I am a current military pilot with a flight physical, and I want to get my app into AAL as soon as I can via pilotcredentials.com, but on the link, the minimum prerequisite questions tell me I need a valid FAA class 1 before applying.

I have found an AME in my local area, but I don't want to spend the money or get it too early if I don't need it yet, I'm about a year out from leaving the military.

Should I get my flight physical now or will AAL pay for it if I get hired or what?

Thanks,

GP

FlewNavy
02-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Hi,

Should be an easy question to answer -- I am a current military pilot with a flight physical, and I want to get my app into AAL as soon as I can via pilotcredentials.com, but on the link, the minimum prerequisite questions tell me I need a valid FAA class 1 before applying.

I have found an AME in my local area, but I don't want to spend the money or get it too early if I don't need it yet, I'm about a year out from leaving the military.

Should I get my flight physical now or will AAL pay for it if I get hired or what?

Thanks,

GP

It is unlikely that your application would even be considered for review if you did not have a current 1st class medical.

Your military flight surgeon may also be an FAA AME and can give you a 2nd class and an EKG. You can then mail/fax in your EKG to Oklahoma and request your 2nd class be upgraded to a first class.

My recommendation is to find an AME in your area that you will use after you leave the military. Build a continuing relationship with the AME so that they know your history and your future class 1s will only take 5 min.

After you realize your AME is making $400-$800 per hour signing off flight physicals you will kick yourself for not going to medical school.

Mover
02-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

GP

AA will not pay for it ever.

MarineGrunt
02-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Go get the physical. This is a pretty obvious one...

DarinFred
02-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Donít step over $5-7mil to save $100. Just get it.

Otterbox
02-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

GP

Better get used to paying to play...

Good news is your class 1 will allow you to apply to all the majors. Don’t forget to update it every 6 months if that’s required based on your age/ airline targets.

kme9418
02-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Another reason to get it now is just to make sure there are no surprises. If you have to work a special issuance (waiver) for any reason, this gives you plenty of lead time to work with the FAA.

Sliceback
02-12-2018, 04:40 AM
ďthe minimum prerequisite questions tell me I need a valid FAA class 1 before applying.Ē

Black and white. This isnít a trick question.

jcountry
02-12-2018, 08:17 AM
ďthe minimum prerequisite questions tell me I need a valid FAA class 1 before applying.Ē

Black and white. This isnít a trick question.

Yep.

I canít imagine someone is cheaping out over this.

I never cease to be amazed at how strange some pilots are. 100 bucks for a medical. 300 bucks for interview prep. 60 bucks for shoes. Too much?

Damn. People spend more than that on just the examiner fee for a private pilot check ride. Quit being a cheap ass!

Battlinbear21
02-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Yep.

I never cease to be amazed at how strange some pilots are. 100 bucks for a medical. 300 bucks for interview prep. 60 bucks for shoes. Too much?

Damn. People spend more than that on just the examiner fee for a private pilot check ride. Quit being a cheap ass!

Hahaha. Doesnít Yo Nited still charge $70 just to apply w airline apps membership? Cross that one off the list..

jcountry
02-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Hahaha. Doesnít Yo Nited still charge $70 just to apply w airline apps membership? Cross that one off the list..

Good point.

The savings are adding up fast!

Saved over $500 already!

Name User
02-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Yep.

Only thing I bought for my interview was a belt and I returned it the next day (commuter pilots were brought up cheap).

jcountry
02-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Only thing I bought for my interview was a belt and I returned it the next day (commuter pilots were brought up cheap).

U got off cheap. I bought an entire new uniform. (No ****. They wanted to see you in a current uniform-and word on the street was that it should be new.)

I didnít skimp on interview prep as well. I know Iím a sparkling conversationalist, but these interviews ainít exactly small talk. So itís best to work at being ready for a whole bunch of odd questions-preparing for those was a task.

Success is where preparation meets opportunity. No place is that more true than a legacy airline interview.

Name User
02-13-2018, 03:59 AM

U got off cheap. I bought an entire new uniform. (No ****. They wanted to see you in a current uniform-and word on the street was that it should be new.)

I didnít skimp on interview prep as well. I know Iím a sparkling conversationalist, but these interviews ainít exactly small talk. So itís best to work at being ready for a whole bunch of odd questions-preparing for those was a task.

Success is where preparation meets opportunity. No place is that more true than a legacy airline interview.

I just wore my regular uniform. Why did you think it had to be new? I didn't know anyone who paid for prep for Airways, and all told I knew a dozen guys hired there personally from my regional.

jcountry
02-13-2018, 05:02 AM
I just wore my regular uniform. Why did you think it had to be new? I didn't know anyone who paid for prep for Airways, and all told I knew a dozen guys hired there personally from my regional.

I wasnít taking chances.

I rode the van back to the airport with a guy who didnít do prep. He didnít make it.

You only get a couple of these chances (at best.) I know a LOT of great folks who are well qualified and canít get a sniff from any legacy.

Luck has something to do with it. My app was in for 4 years and I kept getting crickets, and then one day I got a call out of the blue. I sure wasnít going to waste it.

Climb510
02-13-2018, 02:18 PM
I wasnít taking chances.

I rode the van back to the airport with a guy who didnít do prep. He didnít make it.

You only get a couple of these chances (at best.) I know a LOT of great folks who are well qualified and canít get a sniff from any legacy.

Luck has something to do with it. My app was in for 4 years and I kept getting crickets, and then one day I got a call out of the blue. I sure wasnít going to waste it.

I agree. It canít hurt, it can only help! Congrats!