Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : What is current Compass staffing?

Excargodog
02-11-2018, 05:46 PM
The APC Compass Page indicates that Compass has something like 827 pilots. Is that still the case? Or did the 2017 hiring freeze and people moving up to the majors put a big dent in that number?

FlytheSky
02-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Latest seniority list has 663 pilots on property. I'm guessing "right size" for us will be around 700, but we're losing people like crazy. Compass was the number 1 regional supplier of pilots to Delta last year, and it seems that trend is continuing. With Delta ramping up hiring even more with their retirements coming, I'd expect movement to be quick here despite us not growing. Very few lifers here, and everyone wants to move on.

word302
02-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Latest seniority list has 663 pilots on property. I'm guessing "right size" for us will be around 700, but we're losing people like crazy. Compass was the number 1 regional supplier of pilots to Delta last year, and it seems that trend is continuing. With Delta ramping up hiring even more with their retirements coming, I'd expect movement to be quick here despite us not growing. Very few lifers here, and everyone wants to move on.

Who is spreading that lie?

poorflyer
02-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Came from our CP and is in reference to the last few months kinda as a morale booster. There is without a doubt a significant amount of CPZ pilots being hired at Delta and at our smaller size that makes it a much larger percentage of overall pilot group. Not sure if there's a way to see the actual numbers of all carriers going to Delfa though.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-11-2018, 08:08 PM

OO is a lie

FlytheSky
02-11-2018, 08:42 PM

ALPA https://www3.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/Committees/FeeForDeparture/dal-graphic-2015-ext.png

flydiamond
02-11-2018, 09:04 PM
This was in 2015. Endeavor SSP had barely started, and compass' flow might have been in effect.

mpet
02-11-2018, 09:11 PM
This was in 2015. Endeavor SSP had barely started, and compass' flow might have been in effect.

It wasn't and Delta is the number one destination for cpz pilots leaving. Dunno why this eats people up.

barabek
02-11-2018, 11:09 PM
It wasn't and Delta is the number one destination for cpz pilots leaving. Dunno why this eats people up.

You're wrong, 2015 was the last year of the flow. It was a good year for those on the seniority list. The last 180 "flows" left to DAL and 20 Eagle planes were delivered. The numbers were high only because of the flow. I'm not in CPZ anymore but I was then. I highly doubt the percentage is anywhere close to that number nowadays.

VIRotate
02-12-2018, 12:12 AM

Well not all of us want to retire on the 175 widebody like at the Joe Smith Flying Club now.

veewan
02-12-2018, 03:51 AM
ALPA https://www3.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/Committees/FeeForDeparture/dal-graphic-2015-ext.png

2015 Data? That's when the flows went to Delta.

Compass might have the most pilots given the relative size of the seniority going to Delta, but not straight numbers.

Think about it this way, if Compass has 750 pilots (for simple mathematical purposes) and 250 go to Delta in a year, that's 33%.

Now again for simple math, let's say SkyWest is 4000 pilots and 1000 go to Delta in a year that's only 25% of their seniority list.

Knowing how to manipulate the data is very important as, "There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."

I'm betting the actual numbers were more like 75 from Compass and 225 from SkyWest, but I think it's easier to use numbers that you don't need a calculator in the above example.

word302
02-12-2018, 06:24 AM

Lol. 2 year old data? Good job.

veewan
02-12-2018, 06:45 AM
OO is a lie

But the book of Hulas is truth.

WWHKD?

Compass Commandments:

Thou shalt use bro in every conversation

Thou shalt not question HK or BG

Thou shalt not worship any airline but Compass. The good airline can do no wrong.

Poser765
02-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Jesus, are we really arguing about who sends more nerds to mamma D?

Let's hobby up people.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-12-2018, 07:30 AM
But the book of Hulas is truth.

WWHKD?

Compass Commandments:

Thou shalt use bro in every conversation

Thou shalt not question HK or BG

Thou shalt not worship any airline but Compass. The good airline can do no wrong.

Edit: *Bro* Are you still taking me seriously? I think you are the only one lol.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Ok veewan, serious question, do you fly for compass? Did/are you have a bad experience here or something? Just because your always telling people to go somewhere else and stuff like that. Just curious/confused.

Btw, I didnt know who hulas was a week ago, I googled "hulas airline" to find out since everyone was dropping all these acronyms BB, BK, KGB, FBI, CIA etc... I guess hulas is the TSH holdings guy? I didnt really research compass before I came, or the airlines in general, so I'm trying to catch up. I really don't know that much about stuff lol.

poorflyer
02-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Hulas is the dance they do in Hawaii. #HawaiinFlow2019

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Hulas is the dance they do in Hawaii. #HawaiinFlow2019

Ooohhh that makes sense.. originally, I thought these were hulas...

http://i68.tinypic.com/5xlil5.jpg

VIRotate
02-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Ok veewan, serious question, do you fly for compass? Did/are you have a bad experience here or something? Just because your always telling people to go somewhere else and stuff like that. Just curious/confused.

Btw, I didnt know who hulas was a week ago, I googled "hulas airline" to find out since everyone was dropping all these acronyms BB, BK, KGB, FBI, CIA etc... I guess hulas is the TSH holdings guy? I didnt really research compass before I came, or the airlines in general, so I'm trying to catch up. I really don't know that much about stuff lol.

Well now youíre on a list somewhere!

But seriously I think veewan is an OO plant. Say you fly for Compass but low key hate on the airline, hope it fails, and recruit people to other places.

FlytheSky
02-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Ooohhh that makes sense.. originally, I thought these were hulas...

http://i68.tinypic.com/5xlil5.jpg

You don't do that during taxi? It's in the new FOM. I personally call it my "Hawaiian flow prep."

Air Stang 7
02-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Compass is way better than Mesa. So there's that.

veewan
02-12-2018, 02:39 PM

But seriously I think veewan is an OO plant. Say you fly for Compass but low key hate on the airline, hope it fails, and recruit people to other places.

Nope just a seriously dissatisfied Compass pilot that liked old Compass. It's only fair to give those behind me fair warning of how much this place has deteriorated under Trans States management.

Beechnutz
02-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Side note.

Having just came from OO. They never spoke of Compass. There was plenty of hate towards Mesa but no one else.

veewan
02-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Side note.

Having just came from OO. They never spoke of Compass. There was plenty of hate towards Mesa but no one else.

Makes sense. Mesa is the lowest bidder usually so it's hard to compete with guys that'll do this job for free.

VIRotate
02-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Side note.

Then why don't they wave to us?! I just want a OO double wave. :(

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Then why don't they wave to us?! I just want a OO double wave. :(

I was awkwardly next to an OO 200 the other day in FAT, he was holding short and I was in the run up. I threw up my gang sign and got a good laugh. Literally the first time I've ever seen OO smile and laugh with me.

http://i67.tinypic.com/zoc4k4.jpg

poorflyer
02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Literally the first time I've ever seen OO smile and laugh with me.

And he was promptly disciplined for it.

VIRotate
02-12-2018, 04:54 PM
I was awkwardly next to an OO 200 the other day in FAT, he was holding short and I was in the run up. I threw up my gang sign and got a good laugh. Literally the first time I've ever seen OO smile and laugh with me.

Haha gotta try that one. OO pushing deep for us to pull into the box. We were head to head waiting for their rampers to disconnect to bring us in. They were staring at us and us back at them. I whipped out the good ol double wave. 30 seconds of waving and finally the OO double stare broke and the FO gave me a little half wave. I made it so awkward, he had no choice. Wasn't gonna stop until I got a wave. I was on a mission. Mission accomplished.

WesternSkies
02-12-2018, 05:29 PM
You do realize that the passengers can see you too right?

Keep it up.

nopantsILS
02-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Keep it up.

I've actually had a few CPZ crews do this, it's not just some interweb chest thump. One time his bruh (the CA) was even visibly recording the wave with his iPhone. I'm sure it got a ton of IG likes.

poorflyer
02-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Uh oh I think OO has detected fun. Prepare for bitterness.

BobbyLeeSwagger
02-12-2018, 06:19 PM
I like how we successfully hijacked this thread lol. I don't have FB or IG or anything, keeps the temptation away. But c'mon, OO, who doesn't like the heart sign? I guess I'm at the right airline for now.

Poser765
02-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Keep it up.sorry, dad

N200NN
02-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Keep it up.

How? They were nose to nose.

FlytheSky
02-12-2018, 09:19 PM
How? They were nose to nose.

Because we all know OO puts a forward looking camera on their CRJ 200s for passengers to view on their seat back screens. ;)

VIRotate
02-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Keep it up.

And I'm totally okay with that. But unless you guys are letting your PAX in the cockpit, it's pretty hard to see that being nose to nose. Last time I checked, waving wasn't against the regs.

Seriously though, what are they feeding y'all over there? Does the crew brief begin with "Okay the trip began 2 minutes ago so therefore if anyone is caught having even a bit of fun, that will be a report to pro stands".

Fr8Thrust
02-13-2018, 12:50 AM
And I'm totally okay with that. But unless you guys are letting your PAX in the cockpit, it's pretty hard to see that being nose to nose. Last time I checked, waving wasn't against the regs.

Seriously though, what are they feeding y'all over there? Does the crew brief begin with "Okay the trip began 2 minutes ago so therefore if anyone is caught having even a bit of fun, that will be a report to pro stands".

Agreed. I only single-wave, but thereís nothing wrong with having some fun at work. Pax like happy pilots too.

Iím surprised the Mormon Air Force isnít required to go cockpit door to door to spread the word about the church of Joseph Smith.

veewan
02-13-2018, 03:59 AM
So instead of the pen15 measuring competition going on, let's get to the meat and potatoes...

Will Compass be cancelling flights due to a lack of pilots?

Teabag Bandit
02-13-2018, 06:19 AM
So instead of the pen15 measuring competition going on, let's get to the meat and potatoes...

Will Compass be cancelling flights due to a lack of pilots?

I wouldnít worry about it boss. With the big news thatís coming Friday. Hang in there!!

VIRotate
02-13-2018, 12:02 PM
I wouldnít worry about it boss. With the big news thatís coming Friday. Hang in there!!

Always brings a smile to my face.

ConfCodeCOOL
02-13-2018, 12:13 PM

When asked about personal heroes some people say Gandhi, Oprah, Rosa Parks, Beyonce... for me it will always be Teabag Bandit.

Av8rPHX
02-13-2018, 06:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/6396b6372cb042e8b1f55d74ab1a956c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBirdE175
02-23-2018, 01:16 PM

Can I ask what the "big news" was? Haven't heard anything.

ConfCodeCOOL
02-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Can I ask what the "big news" was? Haven't heard anything.

No no, not today, this UPCOMING Friday! Big news coming!

Air Stang 7
02-23-2018, 06:13 PM
OO will buy TSH and "upgrade" all three carriers to an industry standard contract!

Av8rPHX
02-24-2018, 06:51 AM

Wrong. Not this upcoming Friday either... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180224/81a642c5dfe351d5979904953b7ca1a0.jpg

ThePlaneSaidSo
03-03-2018, 11:41 PM
OO is a lie

Your mom is a lie.........oh!!!! [emoji38]

Excargodog
03-16-2018, 06:55 AM
"PILOTS
Total: 663
Active: 663
Furloughed: 0"

This is what's currently posted on APC. Anyone have more current numbers?

N200NN
03-16-2018, 11:17 AM
"PILOTS
Total: 663
Active: 663
Furloughed: 0"

This is what's currently posted on APC. Anyone have more current numbers?

That number is pretty fluid. But yeah, somewhere around there.

N914FJ
03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Low.

Filler

veewan
03-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Low.

Filler

Not enough to properly staff current flying.

Taco280AI
03-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Is there even a juicy rumor on how they plan to get more peeps here?

Mo money?

Free Happy Meal with each duty day?

Or simply wait and see what happens, good or bad?

mpet
03-16-2018, 01:07 PM
tsh is doing everything they can to keep trans states and gojets staffed. I for one welcome our new endeavor/republic/skywest/mesa overlords

GreenerPastures
03-16-2018, 08:32 PM
9E lurker here. The rumor of the day on one of our threads is Delta may buy Compass and merge us. Completely unfounded conjecture, but I'd welcome a true merge of our lists as long as we kept the 9E contract and pay. Just don't see it happening with the American side at play. But it's interesting to read all the creative reasoning going on.

mpet
03-16-2018, 08:39 PM
9E lurker here. The rumor of the day on one of our threads is Delta may buy Compass and merge us. Completely unfounded conjecture, but I'd welcome a true merge of our lists as long as we kept the 9E contract and pay. Just don't see it happening with the American side at play. But it's interesting to read all the creative reasoning going on.

This has been a rumor for at least 3 and a half years. It's kind of what I wish would happen. The American planes could theoretically go to envoy if there's a 3 way deal and slow wind down.

poorflyer
03-16-2018, 08:52 PM
This has been a rumor for at least 3 and a half years. It's kind of what I wish would happen. The American planes could theoretically go to envoy if there's a 3 way deal and slow wind down.

Hence why TSH is keeping compass understaffed so we're not too fat when we give the American planes away after Delta buys us. Come on Big Daddy D, buy us out, I'll do things to you that will make you feel good!

mpet
03-16-2018, 08:55 PM
Hence why TSH is keeping compass understaffed so we're not too fat when we give the American planes away after Delta buys us. Come on Big Daddy D, buy us out, I'll do things to you that will make you feel good!

as would I. being owned by daddy instead of TSH... oh jeeze my pants are wet

N914FJ
03-17-2018, 06:25 AM
Or they just buy us and make us the DL wholly owned with wing mounted engines.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1