Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : #Makeeaglegreatagain

Gooselives
02-13-2018, 08:06 AM
The pilot group NEEDS to take action...

Union and Managment is failing us!

-Extremely low pay
-Poor credit
-Poor contract
-Horrible reserve rules
-Forced communte
-Forced upgrade
-Lack of OT
-Extremely poor morale
-Lack of knowledge in the cockpit
-Flow violations

#time for change

Wheres the union? 🦗

BIueSideUp
02-13-2018, 08:12 AM

-Extremely low pay
-Poor credit
-Poor contract
-Horrible reserve rules
-Forced communte
-Forced upgrade
-Lack of OT
-Extremely poor morale
-Flow violations

#time for change

Wheres the union? 🦗

#MEGA lol 😂 Youíd be surprised. When asked randomly ďwhich runway is the longest at ORDĒ 9/10 FOs respond with 1) a blank stare 2) ď28CĒ 3) ďstop harassing me or Iíll call my momĒ.

1704LIFE
02-13-2018, 09:05 AM
#mega bump#

Pcruz28
02-13-2018, 09:36 AM
#bump #MakeEagleGreatAgain

havick206
02-13-2018, 09:36 AM

-Extremely low pay
-Poor credit
-Poor contract
-Horrible reserve rules
-Forced communte
-Forced upgrade
-Lack of OT
-Extremely poor morale
-Flow violations

#time for change

Wheres the union? 🦗

Any proposals on how to affect change?

DanRoman
02-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Any proposals on how to affect change?

Endeavor rates or better.
Long call reserve.
Flow the greater of 25 pilots or half of each class at AA.

Those three fix at least 4-5 items on the list.

havick206
02-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Long call reserve.

All obvious requests, I meant proposals on how to go about it?

E175 Driver
02-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately none of these will happen anytime soon. Network guys if you want to get out. The flow is a nice insurance though.

bigtime209
02-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Long call reserve.

I think the question is how to make the changes happen. We all have a list of changes we'd like to see. Problem is that management is the one that has to enact changes. And right now they have no desire or incentive to act.

E175 Driver
02-13-2018, 09:58 AM
I think the question is how to make the changes happen. We all have a list of changes we'd like to see. Problem is that management is the one that has to enact changes. And right now they have no desire or incentive to act.

Why should they? We are getting almost 90 pilots a month.

Business 101 brah

Weekendwarrior2
02-13-2018, 11:03 AM
#MEGA lol 😂 Youíd be surprised. When asked randomly ďwhich runway is the longest at ORDĒ 9/10 FOs respond with 1) a blank stare 2) ď28CĒ 3) ďstop harassing me or Iíll call my momĒ.

Are you saying they don't know how to look this up??

Cpt Rex Kramer
02-13-2018, 11:16 AM

I bet you're a real joy to fly with

BIueSideUp
02-13-2018, 02:17 PM
I bet you're a real joy to fly with

Aww come on. Iím not that guy. Iím not a captain and wonít be for quite a while yet. I had the question asked of me recently and when I answered right I got the additional backstory/joke about how a lot of guys actually canít answer a question like that off-hand. I donít know how true that actually even is. I just shared it because I found it funny and a joke is all itís really meant to be.

The air just feels pretty tense on a lot of these threads so trying to lighten it up here and there.

Also, I know Iím a real joy to fly with for several reasons... I ensure that my briefings are incredibly thorough and never less than two minutes long. If we receive an edct, I re-brief every thirty minutes. I show up with home-made turnip brownies. I maintain it as my lifeís mission to learn everything I possibly can about the life of the person next to me by asking a constant stream of questions (I really miss the ABQ and SAT turns at the end of day 4). I tap the heading bug every 12 seconds to make sure it remains centered. I also make sure that the captain knows I have just as much authority as he/she does and that I am prepared to assume full authority over the ship should they feel they are in any way incapable of executing their duties. I remove my shoes in cruise and pass gas regularly for bowel health. I hope to someday ascend to the office of system chief pilot and believe that my severe likability will lead me on that path. I hope we can fly together soon.

bigtime209
02-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Aww come on. Iím not that guy. Iím not a captain and wonít be for quite a while yet. I had the question asked of me recently and when I answered right I got the additional backstory/joke about how a lot of guys actually canít answer a question like that off-hand. I donít know how true that actually even is. I just shared it because I found it funny and a joke is all itís really meant to be.

The air just feels pretty tense on a lot of these threads so trying to lighten it up here and there.

Also, I know Iím a real joy to fly with for several reasons... I ensure that my briefings are incredibly thorough and never less than two minutes long. If we receive an edct, I re-brief every thirty minutes. I show up with home-made turnip brownies. I maintain it as my lifeís mission to learn everything I possibly can about the life of the person next to me by asking a constant stream of questions (I really miss the ABQ and SAT turns at the end of day 4). I tap the heading bug every 12 seconds to make sure it remains centered. I also make sure that the captain knows I have just as much authority as he/she does and that I am prepared to assume full authority over the ship should they feel they are in any way incapable of executing their duties. I remove my shoes in cruise and pass gas regularly for bowel health. I hope to someday ascend to the office of system chief pilot and believe that my severe likability will lead me on that path. I hope we can fly together soon.

I LOL'd...nice work

FullThrust
02-13-2018, 02:58 PM

I hear tuna is very high in protein and makes a great in-flight snack. Donít forget about using one of those personal portable ovens to heat up some leftover salmon from the layover hotel restaurant two nights ago too 👌🏻

Cpt Rex Kramer
02-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Well done! I bet you ARE a real joy to fly with!

bigtime209
02-13-2018, 04:08 PM

-Extremely low pay
-Poor credit
-Poor contract
-Horrible reserve rules
-Forced communte
-Forced upgrade
-Lack of OT
-Extremely poor morale
-Flow violations

#time for change

Wheres the union? 🦗

So just out of curiosity, if you were sitting at the ALPA office full time over in Euless, how would you magically get the company to fix these items?

AZPilotMike
02-13-2018, 04:24 PM

That last party though, haha. 😂😂😂

Whiskey4
02-13-2018, 06:23 PM
So just out of curiosity, if you were sitting at the ALPA office full time over in Euless, how would you magically get the company to fix these items?

Well, first of all you wouldnít be ďsitting at the ALPA office full time over in Euless.Ē Fixing problems with the company involves actually engaging the senior and executive managers in regular and productive ways. I donít think the company managers actually have any respect for the top ALPA folks. Clearly there has been no good relationship formed there. Sitting around the office is likely the first problem.

DanRoman
02-13-2018, 06:32 PM

I know everyone says ďno one likes the Union until you need themĒ, and Iím not a particularly pro-union guy, but I do understand their necessity in our line of work. My big issue is the fact that these things need to be addressed, there are full-time people in that office over in Euless, and the general response seems to be that thereís nothing the union can do about these things. I wonít pretend to understand the inner workings of the union, or all the nuances of airline union negotiation, but Iím concerned that the people in place to negotiate on our behalf are ill-equipped to do so. Itís through no fault of their own, and I commend them for volunteering, but when you look at the amount of money the pilot group contributes to the union, isnít it fair to expect that the people going to bat for us are professional negotiators and not pilots who do it in their spare time? I refuse to believe that absolutely nothing can be done until the company comes to the union hat in hand. Iím tired of getting the token ďemail your repsĒ response, emailing my rep, and hearing nothing substantive in return. When was the last time we heard anything of value from the MEC?

DanRoman
02-13-2018, 06:58 PM
For what itís worth, Iím fully aware that ranting on here wonít fix anything...but sometimes you gotta rant nonetheless.

bigtime209
02-13-2018, 08:40 PM
The bottom line is, ALPA is always engaging management. There are always things going on behind the scenes. ALPA is always working to secure gains for the pilot group. But it makes things extremely difficult when management is completely unwilling to play ball. And they have absolutely no incentive to play ball right now. OAL attrition is minimal and hiring is through the roof. I, like many, am extremely frustrated that we cannot get any improvements as a pilot group. But how in the world is ALPA supposed to be able to negotiate with a management team that has absolutely zero interest in negotiating? It takes two to tango. I'm ****ed and frustrated, but I have to ask myself, what could I do to change things that our elected leadership isn't already doing? And I'd ask anyone else who is blaming ALPA for not getting us all of these gains that we all want, how exactly do you suggest we go about getting these things? Anyone who thinks that ALPA is just sitting around doing nothing, I'd suggest reaching out to your MEC reps and/or the MEC officers and have them give you an idea as to what is going on behind the scenes. We all want improvements, we're on the same team. Place the blame on management, who is unwilling to grant any significant gains to this pilot group. Now, I will say that the communication between the ALPA leadership and this pilot group is sub par. They are doing a poor job at communicating, well, anything really. I think the lack of communication conveys the notion that nothing is being done. There needs to be communication as to the current state of affairs, the goals going forward, a general update on whether or not active negotiations are taking place in hopes of accomplishing something, etc....Obviously, there are certain sensitive things that shouldn't be shared in the interest to negotiations, but just a general update from time to time is imperative. I think us all being left in the dark is what frustrates us all. I personally know things are being worked on behind the scenes after reaching out to leadership. But Joe Pilot that has made no effort to reach out has no clue that anything is happening right now since there is no communication from ALPA stating otherwise. This has to change.

Smutter
02-14-2018, 06:40 AM
The bottom line is, ALPA is always engaging management. There are always things going on behind the scenes. ALPA is always working to secure gains for the pilot group. But it makes things extremely difficult when management is completely unwilling to play ball. And they have absolutely no incentive to play ball right now. OAL attrition is minimal and hiring is through the roof. I, like many, am extremely frustrated that we cannot get any improvements as a pilot group. But how in the world is ALPA supposed to be able to negotiate with a management team that has absolutely zero interest in negotiating? It takes two to tango. I'm ****ed and frustrated, but I have to ask myself, what could I do to change things that our elected leadership isn't already doing? And I'd ask anyone else who is blaming ALPA for not getting us all of these gains that we all want, how exactly do you suggest we go about getting these things? Anyone who thinks that ALPA is just sitting around doing nothing, I'd suggest reaching out to your MEC reps and/or the MEC officers and have them give you an idea as to what is going on behind the scenes. We all want improvements, we're on the same team. Place the blame on management, who is unwilling to grant any significant gains to this pilot group. Now, I will say that the communication between the ALPA leadership and this pilot group is sub par. They are doing a poor job at communicating, well, anything really. I think the lack of communication conveys the notion that nothing is being done. There needs to be communication as to the current state of affairs, the goals going forward, a general update on whether or not active negotiations are taking place in hopes of accomplishing something, etc....Obviously, there are certain sensitive things that shouldn't be shared in the interest to negotiations, but just a general update from time to time is imperative. I think us all being left in the dark is what frustrates us all. I personally know things are being worked on behind the scenes after reaching out to leadership. But Joe Pilot that has made no effort to reach out has no clue that anything is happening right now since there is no communication from ALPA stating otherwise. This has to change.
It's not that the group does not understand that management has to be willing to give us stuff, what frustrates this group is Sam's and the lec's unwillingness to stand up to management and make things uncomfortable. Our LEC won't rock the boat because they want to flow soon(don't take a position, if your not willing to do what it takes). Every small gain we have got from this company in the last 2-3 years has been because the company brought it to the union, not the other way around. When the union comes up with an idea and the company is willing to hear it, we end up with a reserve LOA that had to be withdrawn because we laughed at it. Even if endeavor had not put out their LOA we would still have laughed our LOA away. That's why the union was doing the crew room meets lately, and all they wanted to hear from us, was, what do you want fixed for reserve. I am pretty sure they can't be that out of touch, we have been saying the same things for years(I am not on reserve, so screw it, make reserve worse, but give us raises!!).

griff312
02-14-2018, 07:00 AM

I think you hit all the points pretty accurately! There is SOOOO MUCH going on behind the scenes between the company and ALPA every single day. I used to think that our ALPA representation was lacking, until I spent 2 days in the Euless office helping them work on something. Our full time reps are usually in there for 10+ hours a day. Not sitting around either, but feverishly working on something or another.
Here's the problem(s); As you said, until the company has a good reason to want to come to the negotiation table with us, they will simply play hard ball any time we want something. Right now they have no good reason. We are at a disadvantage in that the company holds the majority of the cards (After all, they are in the business of running an airline, not in the business of employing random pilots / workers). With a contract in place, and 90+ new hires showing up each month, they have no reasonable reason to negotiate any improvements right now. During that environment, any negotiation that DOES happen to take place is give and take. For every single "get" we ask for, the company wants something else of larger value than the "get" in return. The company spends unlimited resources and manpower to fight everything that our union does; compared to our very limited resources. Union work really is a thankless job. It also doesn't help that a lot of our union resources are spent fighting multiple small fires set daily by both sides. From representing pilots who screwed up during disciplinary hearings, to fighting daily grievances filed by pilots who's contractual rights have been violated.
As for regular communications, The comm rep, and reps that provide info for monthly comms, are mostly regular line pilots, who spend their time generating those comms while they're supposed to be spending time in rest at an overnight, or while trying to make up time with their families. Then those comms have to go through the MEC and ALPA lawyers for approval before dissemination. (To ensure that they / we do not get into any trouble for something communicated that wasn't supposed to be). The company demands that A LOT of things are done under non-disclosure agreements. Likewise, the union does a lot of things in executive session, so as to not let loose information float around back to the company, showing their hand. For the most part, I think the Comms have been decent, given the circumstances. But yes, they could always be better, and more frequent. I encourage that everyone reach out to their reps, and P2P's, if they have any questions.

inevitableneb
02-14-2018, 07:39 AM
That recent reserve LOA that didn't even make it to a vote seriously damaged the unions relationship with management. Management now thinks the unions has no understanding of what the pilot group actually wants which makes them less inclined to spend resources to make agreements that will just get pooped on my the pilots. I don't know what the path forward is,. But it needs to start with the union and the pilot group getting on the same page. Examples, a recent ALPA email gave a list of priorities that was exactly opposite of the priorities of 90% of the pilots.

inevitableneb
02-14-2018, 07:44 AM
If you have been here over 9 months, then you are senior to 1/3 of the pilot group, that third is entirely unrepresented in the union, which is part of why the union was so confused about retention bonus, it didn't matter to them. Get involved with the union! No matter how Jr you are, we need you. Stay open to learning what you don't know, but get involved, please.

Vne469
02-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Itís 28R, correct?

griff312
02-14-2018, 11:01 AM
That recent reserve LOA that didn't even make it to a vote seriously damaged the unions relationship with management. Management now thinks the unions has no understanding of what the pilot group actually wants which makes them less inclined to spend resources to make agreements that will just get pooped on my the pilots. I don't know what the path forward is,. But it needs to start with the union and the pilot group getting on the same page. Examples, a recent ALPA email gave a list of priorities that was exactly opposite of the priorities of 90% of the pilots.

The feedback that the Union got from the pilot group was an overwhelming "No! This loa isn't anywhere near acceptable!" Hence dropping it. If a majority had wanted it, then they sure were silent about it.

BIueSideUp
02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Itís 28R, correct?

Yes, itís 13,000í of pavement.

bigtime209
02-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Excellent points Smutter and Griff.

inevitableneb
02-14-2018, 11:59 AM
The feedback that the Union got from the pilot group was an overwhelming "No! This loa isn't anywhere near acceptable!" Hence dropping it. If a majority had wanted it, then they sure were silent about it.

That's my point. The union accepted an unacceptable LOA, the Pilots explained to said union that it's crap so it died. This process hurt the union/management relationship. They now, somewhat accurately, think the union "has no idea what the pilots want" -RW

use2fly
02-14-2018, 04:40 PM
It’s 28R, correct?

No, It's 10L

Bigpimppilot
02-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Fixing reserve is simple. People just want to know before the last flight the day before if they need to get to the airport to work 4am

Sheg0theD
02-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Fixing reserve is simple. People just want to know before the last flight the day before if they need to get to the airport to work 4am

That would be nice...

I would also like the contract to say on your last day of reserve you can not be assigned a PM shift! (period!) Itís easy to spend a week in LGA if they are short staffed. Commute up a Day before (0400 RAP) followed by 5 days of reserve (day five being a PM standby, because they have ď no one elseĒ) now you miss your last flight (if you donít get JM) home so day 7 comes and you get to go out on the first flight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dekal5
02-16-2018, 07:37 AM
I think they key is the lack of communication. I went to the last DFW crewroom visit and I felt like the union reps had no real agenda or nothing really to present or say. No real timeline of their efforts in the future regarding talks with the company. I think there needs to be more accountability on their part and like some already mentioned, the union needs to connect with the lower half of the pilot group which have only been here for less than 2 years. I was amazed how in the last crewroom visit I felt like I was talking to management instead of my union rep. I donít need hear ďThe company is not going to give us a pay raiseĒ like if they were speaking on behalf of the company instead of the pilot group. I donít need the union wasting our unions due on pointless crewroom visits in order to tell me something that is obvious. What I want hear is what is being done in order to get what the pilot group wants.

Seaplane
02-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Maybe the union should use our money to wine and dine management. You know... drop some donuts in the morning, have an appreciation day for them and then run out of food before 10:30am, call them at 4am and welcome them to come sit reserve with the pilots in awesome crew rooms, make them fly 5 legs on day 4 and finish at 5pm so they canít commute home to their families. Invite them to sit on the plane for an extra 20min while the rampers casually walk out late twirling their light sabres.

DanRoman
02-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Maybe the union should use our money to wine and dine management. You know... drop some donuts in the morning, have an appreciation day for them and then run out of food before 10:30am, call them at 4am and welcome them to come sit reserve with the pilots in awesome crew rooms, make them fly 5 legs on day 4 and finish at 5pm so they canít commute home to their families. Invite them to sit on the plane for an extra 20min while the rampers casually walk out late twirling their light sabres.

Man ainít that the truth. It only seems to be getting worse.

Seaplane
02-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Man ainít that the truth. It only seems to be getting worse.

Cockpit to ground how are you doing? Yea all good down here. Crickets... and anything to add to that? Yea FOD good, steering ok.

jonrayburn
02-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Cockpit to ground how are you doing? Yea all good down here. Crickets... and anything to add to that? Yea FOD good, steering ok.

Lmao. I hate to hate on our guys. But it also drives me nuts when we've have to run an engine at the gate for a deferred APU, for 15 minutes after blocking in. Maybe they think we're just doing it for funzies.

highfarfast
02-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Man ain’t that the truth. It only seems to be getting worse.

Rampers at DFW has been one of my biggest complaints with this company. Really embarrassing when parked sideways so that half the passengers on the plane can see their lackadaisical attitude towards their job while we wait for them to mosey into position AFTER showing they show up 5 minutes late. That said, on my last sequence, I was so surprised with how improved they were for the entire sequence, I commented that there had to be a change in management for something like that. Captain agreed. Hope it's permanent and not some coincidence.

jonrayburn
02-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Did you read the recent HI6 from Bob N.? Yíall need to quit sitting RAP at home when youíre suppose to be in NY haha:D

Nevada
02-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Gooselives apparently you've started a movement.

say again
02-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Who the hell randomly asks that question?!?! :rolleyes: I'd tell them to look it up themselves.

jonrayburn
02-17-2018, 12:38 PM
So awesome! too bad I can use my ALPA dues to buy some.

DanRoman
02-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Haha! How long before we see one of these in a crew room??

Armybeatnavy
02-17-2018, 03:23 PM

We have a movement!

MD-11Loader
02-17-2018, 05:02 PM
We have a movement!

This is amazing!

LineUpAndPay
02-17-2018, 05:38 PM
We have a movement!

Thank god after spending some time recently eating in Bedford and STL, I could use a movement.

TransWorld
02-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Thank god after spending some time recently eating in Bedford and STL, I could use a movement.

Castor Oil will fix that problem.

DollaBillz
02-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Coming back from Mexico on New Year's Day we waited for rampers for Thirty. Five. Minutes. at the D Terminal. And I really had to ****.