Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Shoes

iflyalot
02-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Looking for recomendations for good comfortable durable work shoes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tcco94
02-13-2018, 04:19 PM
I have Ecco Helsinki shoe and I love them. Very durable and basic shoe. Will buy again easily when it's time. Not super cheap but I've tried the cheap shoe thing, hated it.

Cefiro
02-14-2018, 06:42 AM
Ecco....durable and comfortable. Not cheap, but cheaper than replacing shoes every year.

bonanza
02-14-2018, 10:47 AM
I am thinking of getting the Ecco Helsinki after all the reviews I read.

Check Complete
02-14-2018, 11:49 AM
If you’re thinking of going into management you’ll need a pair that are pure white......

Blackwing
02-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Anything by Clark's or Ecco.

Flogger
02-15-2018, 03:42 AM
I have spent a lot of money on shoes, and I've bought cheap shoes. Neither last long due to Skydrol on the ramp, because even as Captain, I do half the walkarounds.

If you stay off the ramp as a Captain, spring for good quality shoes and they should last years.

No matter what you buy, get a pair of Superfeet orthotics.

Just my take.

qazWSX
02-15-2018, 03:47 AM
Eccos hands down! Get a shine once a month and will last a looong time!

rickair7777
02-15-2018, 05:00 AM
Eccos.

If you're lazy, slip-on Eccos and clip-on ties...

msprj2
02-15-2018, 06:32 AM
ECCO Fusion II slip on's or tie.

ipdanno
02-15-2018, 06:59 AM
Ariat Roper boots, with the composite shank. Keeps slush and de-ice fluid out of your socks and soles.

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 08:28 AM
Eccos.

If you're lazy, slip-on Eccos and clip-on ties...

Sounds like the slip-ons are the way to go! Perfect for airing out the dogs in the cockpit on those hot summer days.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 09:14 AM
All due respect, why do people come on a forum to ask what kind of shoes they should wear? Professional pilots asking stupid questions like that.
Here's an answer. Wear whatever dress shoes that feel the best and comply with company policy.
Good grief, we're professional pilots telling someone what shoes to wear. If you take on the responsibility to fly a $30 million jet with a full load of passengers in the back, then you should take it upon yourself to try on several types of shoes and be able to make the best decision on what type to wear.
What's next, underwear?

dera
02-15-2018, 09:17 AM
A guy who calls himself an AC500 "captain" comes and tells what questions are appropriate for professional pilots to ask.

I like Loakes. I've got 3 pairs that I rotate through. Works well for me.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 09:23 AM
A guy who calls himself an AC500 "captain" comes and tells what questions are appropriate for professional pilots to ask.

I like Loakes. I've got 3 pairs that I rotate through. Works well for me.
Thanks for stalking my profile pointing that out. Need to change that since that I've been flying for the airlines the last few years.

dera
02-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Thanks for stalking my profile pointing that out. Need to change that since that I've been flying for the airlines the last few years.

No need to stalk anything. It's openly visible to anyone who sees your messages.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 09:32 AM
No need to stalk anything. It's openly visible to anyone who sees your messages.
So I flew single-pilot in an AC-500 years ago. What does that have to do with people who can't figure out what shoes to wear to work?
You going to help dress these people too if they ask?

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 09:38 AM
You going to help dress these people too if they ask?

Can you clarify things for me?

Is it OK to ask about headsets?

Roller bags?

Brands of shirts?

Electronic logbook software?

Just need to know so I don't upset you if I have a question...

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Can you clarify things for me?

Is it OK to ask about headsets?

Roller bags?

Brands of shirts?

Electronic logbook software?

Just need to know so I don't upset you if I have a question...
If I need to answer this because you don't know the difference between comfortable shoes and high dollar flight equipment, then good luck on making real decisions that are best for you.
Here's my question, which validates my point.
Are you going to buy whatever shoes others suggest, or are you going to buy whatever brand and pair feel best for you? Buying shoes is not the same as buying a $300 roller board or $900 headset. So why ask about a common, affordable, everyday item that everyone wears? In the end, you may end up with a cheap pair of slip-ons from Payless or decide the $150 Johnston & Murphy's are worth the investment. If you wear them and hate them after two weeks, try another pair. Everybody's feet and type of walking are different. Point is, you're asking about something that you WEAR on a daily basis. How are others going to know what shoe you should choose? The other flight equipment items that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars are worth asking about.

dera
02-15-2018, 12:18 PM
If I need to answer this because you don't know the difference between comfortable shoes and high dollar flight equipment, then good luck on making real decisions that are best for you.
Are you going to buy whatever shoes others suggest, or are you going to buy whatever brand and pair feel best for you? Buying shoes is not the same as buying a $300 roller board or $900 headset. So why ask about a common, affordable, everyday item that everyone wears? In the end, you may end up with a cheap pair of slip-ons from Payless or decide the $150 Johnston & Murphy's are worth the investment. If you wear them and hate them after two weeks, try another pair. Everybody's feet and type of walking are different. Point is, you're asking about something that you WEAR on a daily basis. How are others going to know what shoe you should choose? The other flight equipment items that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars are worth asking about.

Sorry you're so ignorant about clothing. My shoes cost around the same per pair as my Briggs & Riley suitcase. There are even forums dedicated to shoes.
You see, if you ask me, no-one should wear sub-300 dollar shoes.
If you don't like what people are talking about, move on and go elsewhere.

Few pointers on buying decent shoes that will last. Don't buy anything with glued soles, and make sure the insoles are leather. I prefer Goodyear welted Dainite soles, they are great in every weather and last a long time. They can also be replaced when they wear out.
Good quality leather protected correctly will take more abuse than you'd imagine.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Sorry you're so ignorant about clothing. My shoes cost around the same per pair as my Briggs & Riley suitcase. There are even forums dedicated to shoes.
You see, if you ask me, no-one should wear sub-300 dollar shoes.
If you don't like what people are talking about, move on and go elsewhere.

Few pointers on buying decent shoes that will last. Don't buy anything with glued soles, and make sure the insoles are leather. I prefer Goodyear welted Dainite soles, they are great in every weather and last a long time. They can also be replaced when they wear out.
Good quality leather protected correctly will take more abuse than you'd imagine.
Your ignorant response was about one of my previous jobs in my profile, which had nothing to do with telling someone what kind of shoes to buy.
If you're so butthurt and offended by other people's opinions, then move on yourself. Otherwise, I'll post whatever comment I please. You don't have to like it or agree with it.
By the way, your ignorance about clothing stands out well. Anyone can get a good quality pair of shoes for way less than $300.

dera
02-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Your ignorant response was about one of my previous jobs in my profile, which had nothing to do with telling someone what kind of shoes to buy.
If you're so butthurt and offended by other people's opinions, then move on yourself. Otherwise, I'll post whatever comment I please. You don't have to like it or agree with it.
By the way, your ignorance about clothing stands out well. Anyone can get a good quality pair of shoes for way less than $300.

I guess good quality for me is different than good quality for you.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 12:53 PM
I wear high quality leather shoes that are comfortable, durable, and well made for about $100.Try convincing some of these newbies that don't know how to shoe shop to drop $300 on a new pair of kicks. Good for you and your $300 pair of shoes. I'm so impressed.

Going Missed
02-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Depends on your budget:

Budget:
Deer Stags Brooklyn

Mid-Range:
Ecco Helsinki

High End:
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

The Deer Stags last about a year before falling apart, after two years the Eccos were wearable but were showing their age, and the Allen Edmonds are not as comfortable but still look like a million bucks after 5 years.

dera
02-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Depends on your budget:

Budget:
Deer Stags Brooklyn

Mid-Range:
Ecco Helsinki

High End:
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

The Deer Stags last about a year before falling apart, after two years the Eccos were wearable but were showing their age, and the Allen Edmonds are not as comfortable but still look like a million bucks after 5 years.

Park Avenues are a classic, comfort is mainly a function of how well the last fits you, and like you said, good quality shoes lasts a long time while still looking great.

dera
02-15-2018, 01:26 PM
I wear high quality leather shoes that are comfortable, durable, and well made for about $100.Try convincing some of these newbies that don't know how to shoe shop to drop $300 on a new pair of kicks. Good for you and your $300 pair of shoes. I'm so impressed.

You can not find high quality leather shoes for $100, unless you score a clearance item, or buy used.
You can find somewhat wearable stuff for that price, but high quality they are not.
Just shows you know nothing about shoes.

The Eccos last a year or maybe two, they are butt-ugly but cheap. Not a bad choice. No-one would ever call them "high quality" though.

rickair7777
02-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Y

The Eccos last a year or maybe two, they are butt-ugly but cheap. Not a bad choice. No-one would ever call them "high quality" though.

? Mine have lasted for years. The ones I had before lasted for years and only got replaced because the sharp corner of my roll-aboard frame cut a hole in one. Not the shoe's fault.

I would call them good value, if not the latest high-fashion (which is pretty moot when wearing a uniform anyway).

You can go high-dollar, keep them shined, replace soles as needed, and hope the uppers never get damaged. But that's more of a philosophical choice.

dera
02-15-2018, 01:53 PM
? Mine have lasted for years. The ones I had before lasted for years and only got replaced because the sharp corner of my roll-aboard frame cut a hole in one. Not the shoe's fault.

I would call them good value, if not the latest high-fashion (which is pretty moot when wearing a uniform anyway).

You can go high-dollar, keep them shined, replace soles as needed, and hope the uppers never get damaged. But that's more of a philosophical choice.

Mine pretty much fell apart after a few months in Arizona. The soles literally melted.
I tried the cheap but cheerful for a while, but decided even at work, the "high-dollar" way seems to work out well.

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 02:04 PM
...my Briggs & Riley suitcase.

Which do you use?

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 02:18 PM
You can not find high quality leather shoes for $100, unless you score a clearance item, or buy used.
You can find somewhat wearable stuff for that price, but high quality they are not.
Just shows you know nothing about shoes.
Hate to break it to you Mr. Shoe salesman, but you can, in fact, find a good quality, new pair of dress shoes for around $100. We can go round and round with this stupid subject, but I can tell you with confidence that hardly any new regional first officer is going to take your advice and drop $300+ on a pair of shoes.

Foxy
02-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Any recommendations for women's shoes? My Clarke's are falling apart very quickly. There's a company out of Portugal called SkyPro that advertises on here, but I haven't seen or met anyone who's used their products.

I may just go back to Dr. Martens.

~Fox

emersonbiguns
02-15-2018, 02:32 PM
... you can, in fact, find a good quality, new pair of dress shoes for around $100.

Can you tell me how buying a $100 pair of shoes every couple of years is cheaper than buying a $300 pair once?

bnkangle
02-15-2018, 02:33 PM
All due respect, why do people come on a forum to ask what kind of shoes they should wear? Professional pilots asking stupid questions like that.
Here's an answer. Wear whatever dress shoes that feel the best and comply with company policy.
Good grief, we're professional pilots telling someone what shoes to wear. If you take on the responsibility to fly a $30 million jet with a full load of passengers in the back, then you should take it upon yourself to try on several types of shoes and be able to make the best decision on what type to wear.
What's next, underwear?

Got sand in your vag?

I read reviews and look for input before buying lots of things, even stuff like laundry detergent and bed sheets. It’s called being smart with your money.

joseolay
02-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Hate to break it to you Mr. Shoe salesman, but you can, in fact, find a good quality, new pair of dress shoes for around $100. We can go round and round with this stupid subject, but I can tell you with confidence that hardly any new regional first officer is going to take your advice and drop $300+ on a pair of shoes.

Don't waste your money on Eccos which are way overpriced for a through away shoe. If you're serious about quality and want to save money in the long run, buy shoes with leather soles and goodyear welts. If you're on a tight budget, buy a used pair on ebay. I can find a very nice new pair on ebay under $200. A resole with heels runs about $70.

But hey, square toed rubber soled shoes go nice with pleated pants and cellphone belt clips if you're into they kind of stuff.

joseolay
02-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Can you tell me how buying a $100 pair of shoes every couple of years is cheaper than buying a $300 pair once?

It's cheaper in the long run to buy the shoes with leather soles and goodyear welts, get them resoled with new heals for $70 and keep them going for years. Plus, they look 10x better than the ugly leather soled clunkers. Get a rotation going with several different styles.

TonyC
02-15-2018, 02:55 PM

A common refrain among snobs who confuse cost for quality.

Deer Stags Nu Times

I wear a Timex, too.

If you need to throw away money to make yourself feel better, please e-mail me.

MidnightHauler
02-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Got sand in your vag?

I read reviews and look for input before buying lots of things, even stuff like laundry detergent and bed sheets. It’s called being smart with your money.
Good for you. Then start another forum on APC about bed sheets and laundry detergent.

dera
02-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Which do you use?

Both Baseline, I've got the International carry-on expandable upright 2-wheel, and the carry-on wheeled garment bag.

I'll never have to buy another suitcase in my life. Both have a few million miles behind them already, only had to use the lifetime warranty once and that was for a cosmetic issue.

dera
02-15-2018, 03:34 PM
A common refrain among snobs who confuse cost for quality.

Deer Stags Nu Times

I wear a Timex, too.

If you need to throw away money to make yourself feel better, please e-mail me.

I buy good shoes because I can't afford to throw money away. I've got a few pairs that are close to 10 years old now.

futuraflyr
02-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Mine pretty much fell apart after a few months in Arizona. The soles literally melted.
I tried the cheap but cheerful for a while, but decided even at work, the "high-dollar" way seems to work out well.

I have experienced this issue with my Ecco rubber sole too. The rubber suddenly “dissolved” while walking, leaving large chunks of rubber in a trail behind me. Rumor was Ecco experimented with new polymer but it failed miserably. Unfortunately I’ll never go back.

DarkSideMoon
02-16-2018, 02:50 AM

I don't like wasting my money, whether it's $35 or $3500, which is why threads like this have value. If you don't care about accidentally buying a lemon pair of shoes then I'm glad you have enough money that it isn't an issue.

I somehow doubt the original poster is at home having an existential crisis over this, he's just posing a quick question to get some reviews. There's no harm in asking if there are known good or bad brands. No one forces you to read these threads.

TransWorld
02-16-2018, 04:22 AM
I have experienced this issue with my Ecco rubber sole too. The rubber suddenly “dissolved” while walking, leaving large chunks of rubber in a trail behind me. Rumor was Ecco experimented with new polymer but it failed miserably. Unfortunately I’ll never go back.

Sounds like a semi driving down the interstate when they lose a retread.

calmwinds
02-16-2018, 04:22 AM
Was in Boise and nearly fell on my butt. Any suggestions for FO shoes for the remaining winter months that are good for an icy ramp during the walk around?

ready2copy
02-16-2018, 10:55 AM
MidnightHauler sucks.

That’s all I have to add to this thread.
OP, good luck finding shoes! I had the same question. I’d love to buy some high quality shoes, but I keep hearing that they will get eaten up by the chemicals that are spilled when loading the chem trail jets.

Check Complete
02-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Was in Boise and nearly fell on my butt. Any suggestions for FO shoes for the remaining winter months that are good for an icy ramp during the walk around?

Costco has some mostly black lace up boots, all leather, almost compliant at SkyWest for $30.

There’s some gray edges on the sole but I don’t think any management would care. Perfect for walking through device fluid with.

MidnightHauler
02-16-2018, 09:25 PM
MidnightHauler sucks.

That’s all I have to add to this thread.
OP, good luck finding shoes! I had the same question. I’d love to buy some high quality shoes, but I keep hearing that they will get eaten up by the chemicals that are spilled when loading the chem trail jets.
Chemicals loading chem trail jets? How original trying to be funny with a stupid worn out conspiracy theory.
You actually fly for a living or just sit at home posting stupid remarks?

WesternSkies
02-16-2018, 09:40 PM
If midnighthauler ever got an upgrade to highnoonhauler he might be able see what we are talking about.

aiir
02-16-2018, 10:49 PM
It would be nice if someone came up with something to put over and under the shoes that would help from picking up chemicals when doing the walk around. Something that you could quickly put on and take off, and store away without being bulky. Seeing as the walk around is so brief, yet so punitive on shoes. Especially for those who like to wear nice shoes, which I understand does not encompass everyone and that’s okay, I respect everyone’s approach to life.

TransWorld
02-17-2018, 02:43 AM
Chemicals loading chem trail jets? How original trying to be funny with a stupid worn out conspiracy theory.
You actually fly for a living or just sit at home posting stupid remarks?

Well, then again, this guy wants to shoot up in a rocket high enough to prove the world is flat. . .

Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/11/23/rocket-launch-will-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html)

My favorite part of the article —
“I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.”

They live and walk among us. They vote and they have children.

OOfff
02-17-2018, 08:54 AM
It would be nice if someone came up with something to put over and under the shoes that would help from picking up chemicals when doing the walk around. Something that you could quickly put on and take off, and store away without being bulky. Seeing as the walk around is so brief, yet so punitive on shoes. Especially for those who like to wear nice shoes, which I understand does not encompass everyone and that’s okay, I respect everyone’s approach to life.

You’re looking for “overshoes.” Very common among the leather soled people out there.

450knotOffice
02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
I've worn Deerstags at work for more than fifteen years. The sole seems to wear out in about 1-1/2 to 2 years. However, they're inexpensive, provide good grip on very slick ramps, and look decent enough.

In fact, thanks for the reminder. Just ordered another pair.;)

aiir
02-18-2018, 12:34 AM
You’re looking for “overshoes.” Very common among the leather soled people out there.

Awesome! Thanks!!

calmwinds
02-20-2018, 04:36 AM
I've worn Deerstags at work for more than fifteen years. The sole seems to wear out in about 1-1/2 to 2 years. However, they're inexpensive, provide good grip on very slick ramps, and look decent enough.

In fact, thanks for the reminder. Just ordered another pair.;)

Which style Deer Stags do you order? The different styles have many different soles for grip. They look pretty ideal (price wise and with a sole that grips) for a First Officer in the winter.

Poser765
02-20-2018, 05:11 AM
Ariat Roper boots, with the composite shank. Keeps slush and de-ice fluid out of your socks and soles.
It saddens me that this comment got no love. Maybe it's a cultural thing because I am from Oklahoma, but my Ariats are the last work shoe I will ever own.

T28driver
02-20-2018, 06:02 AM
It saddens me that this comment got no love. Maybe it's a cultural thing because I am from Oklahoma, but my Ariats are the last work shoe I will ever own.

I’m a huge fan of the Ariats with the composite shank as well.

Paid2fly
02-24-2018, 10:55 AM
I’m a huge fan of the Ariats with the composite shank as well.

Agreed, however their only downside is the soles don't provide the best grip in snow and ice.

450knotOffice
02-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Which style Deer Stags do you order? The different styles have many different soles for grip. They look pretty ideal (price wise and with a sole that grips) for a First Officer in the winter.

Typically I order the Times Plain-Toe Oxford.

Poser765
02-27-2018, 04:27 AM
Agreed, however their only downside is the soles don't provide the best grip in snow and ice.the rubber soles do just as fine as any other shoe in my opinion. Now if you get a boot with a leather sole you're going to have a bad time, mkay.

tomgoodman
02-27-2018, 05:49 AM
Red Wing farmer’s clodhoppers: because anything found in a barnyard will be present on the ramp too. ;)

CriticalMach
03-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Allen Edmonds - park avenue.

calmwinds
03-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Typically I order the Times Plain-Toe Oxford.

I went with “NU Media” Deer Stags (slip proof and water proof). Can’t wait to see how they work on ice and wet painted cement.

kino
08-15-2018, 12:07 AM
I also use Helsinki, but I use disposable shoe covers (https://blueshoeguys.com/) most of the time to prolong my shoe usage. Saves me money!

tyurchevich
08-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Just replaced my Eccos after 6.5 years! Leather finally gave way. I wanted to buy another but was short on time. Got a pair of Bostonian featherlite shoes. Look good but quality i dont know yet. Will order another pair of eccos maybe in the not too distant future.

Skyhawk121
08-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Wearing a pair of ecco helsinkis right now. My last pair of ecco's was alive for over five years, at which point the soles started splitting from side to side and needed to be retired, but the leather was still in good shape.

TeamSasquatch
08-21-2018, 01:11 PM
I’ve been wearing Eccos every day for 5 years. Very comfortable and last a long, long time. Can’t give you a solid number on the life though.... I seriously buy them used on eBay.... not sure how long the first guy had them for.

ItnStln
08-24-2018, 01:55 PM
What's next, underwear?

If you have any recommendations I’d like to hear them.

shroomwell
08-24-2018, 09:53 PM
If you have any recommendations I’d like to hear them.

Nothing says "smart money" more than a $158 pair of boxers.

https://shop.hanrousa.com/product/sea-island-cotton-boxer/

ItnStln
08-25-2018, 04:54 AM

Now I want to know how many they’ve actually sold!

TransWorld
08-25-2018, 08:19 AM

And if you have real money to blow, they offer $460 for something to sleep in.

https://shop.hanrousa.com/product/hanro-hanro-select-long-sleeve-pajama-75343/?color=

Compare $20 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Woven-Pajama-Set/10771824?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001229488&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42531110792&wl4=pla-60958951494&wl5=9026807&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=10771824&wl13=&veh=sem

ItnStln
08-25-2018, 01:00 PM
And if you have real money to blow, they offer $460 for something to sleep in.

https://shop.hanrousa.com/product/hanro-hanro-select-long-sleeve-pajama-75343/?color=

Compare $20 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Woven-Pajama-Set/10771824?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001229488&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42531110792&wl4=pla-60958951494&wl5=9026807&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=10771824&wl13=&veh=sem

For $460 Kate Upton better be making my bed. The thing is this and the $20 pair are probably made in the same factory.

N6279P
08-27-2018, 01:57 AM
I’ve been wearing Eccos every day for 5 years. Very comfortable and last a long, long time. Can’t give you a solid number on the life though.... I seriously buy them used on eBay.... not sure how long the first guy had them for.
Used shoes? That’s embarrassing.

RickRoss
08-27-2018, 08:37 AM
That’s what I was thinking...

minivan
09-01-2018, 04:37 AM

You've probably worn used shoes at the bowling alley. I bought some "used" Merrell running shoes on ebay, looked and smelled new to me. Some things are just returns listed as used. Either way, it's not your money so who cares?