Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Becoming a pilot with Asthma

Sebtemp
02-14-2018, 05:09 AM
Hello, my name is Sebastian, I'm currently looking at a career as an airline pilot.

I am concerned over the fact I have asthma, my asthma is not bad, I have not been hospitalised within the last 6 years. I also very rarely take the blue ventolin inhaler for immediate relief from symptoms.

However, everyday I take 0.3 milligrammes of Symbicort via inhaler. Symbicort is a preventive drug which is supposed to stop symptoms developing.

Could someone please let me know if they have any experience with becoming a pilot with Asthma, or if you think my asthma or the inhalers I take will affect my ability to become one.

yz450f177
02-14-2018, 09:03 AM
I had Asthma bad when I was a kid.
I don't take any thing for it now, certain time of the year I will use my wife's inhaler.
I can get a 1st class without any problems.
Try to find an AME that is also a Lung Dr.

Sebtemp
02-14-2018, 12:23 PM
I had Asthma bad when I was a kid.
I don't take any thing for it now, certain time of the year I will use my wife's inhaler.
I can get a 1st class without any problems.
Try to find an AME that is also a Lung Dr.
Thanks for your reply

The thing I'm most concerned about the medication I take, do you know if there is restrictions are certain medications ?

rickair7777
02-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your reply

The thing I'm most concerned about the medication I take, do you know if there is restrictions are certain medications ?

Yes there are. The FAA keeps the official list a secret, but some folks have compiled unofficial lists.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/

Sebtemp
02-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Yes there are. The FAA keeps the official list a secret, but some folks have compiled unofficial lists.

https://www.aviationmedicine.com/

Great. Thanks for you help. They say they Symbicort is fine.

JohnBurke
02-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Symbicort may be fine, but asthma can be a problem.

Childhood asthma is not. That's considered to have ended by age 12.

Triggs
02-14-2018, 03:59 PM
If you take more than one "control" medication daily, you will most likely end up with a special issuance (ask me how I know) that requires an annual PFT/spirometry test. I've been flying for 20 years commercially with it. Now that I am down to one control med, it is a non issue. Just be careful that the meds you take are on the approved list. If not, you may have to switch.

pat67
02-25-2018, 06:21 PM
There is a form called FAA Asthma Worksheet. You can google it. Take this form to the doctor who is treating you for Asthma. Make sure you get a Pulmonary Function test and get the results. Take all that paperwork with you to your AME.
I have allergy induced Asthma and have a Dulera inhaler as well as Montelukast/Singulair for seasonal allergies.