Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Redchevron
02-14-2018, 07:37 AM
This is THE discussion at the dinner table.

I need y'alls help.

Much appreciated!

Proximity
02-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Search the Southwest area for ATL and Atlanta, it's been discussed before.

However, I think just recently Atlanta FO seniority dropped below the last AT hire. So while it is super senior for FOs right now, it's likely that in the future it will probably turn into a base like MCO, where the very bottom is junior and then the rest of the list is very top heavy. This could takes years to come to fruition however, and if we stop expanding ATL movement will be very slow. Don't come here hoping to get ATL soon and you won't be disappointed.

ZapBrannigan
02-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Looks like on the last bid I could have held it as the very last pilot in ATL. That would be a little over 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tm602
02-14-2018, 08:55 AM
My buddy just got an ATL award at year 7.

Redchevron
02-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the quick replies fellas...

So the AT folks are happy staying in ATL until they retire, got it. Does that mean any openings will be the result of expansion and/or F/O upgrades opening up extra opportunities?

Stitches
02-14-2018, 09:05 AM
I think we all will be surprised at how rapidly movement at the very bottom of Atlanta happens. The jr man there now is a 2014 hire. However Delta has hired lots of folks and we have lost a fair number of folks to Delta (especially during the 2015-2016 contract timeframe) so I don't believe there is an equal distribution of guys looking to bid into Atl as there is for other bases. It just doesn't make sense for a guy with less than 3 years who lives in Atlanta to not try for Delta or move to another base. I know guys who have done both.

Best guess for a new hire today, I'd say right around a year, possibly less, and 2 years worst case.

flysocal77
02-14-2018, 09:08 AM
I think we will have news of a new base soon. LAX is my guess and I donít think thereís many pilots living within driving distance (150 or so). Lots live in SAN area but that would be a brutal drive. This will create movement everywhere and will eventually be junior imo. As for ATL it was untouchable until last month. I wouldnít be surprised if it became a normal base soon. Very top heavy but not as bad as many of us thought.

e6bpilot
02-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Itís going to come down rapidly. Any growth in ATL is going to start getting filled by post 2014 hires who by and large donít want to be based there because it is such a senior base.
Just a prediction, but I think you will see it go down to less than a year within the next year. The writing is on the wall. We are constrained by gates there but the base has steadily grown as Atlantans have started flying us. It was capped at 200/200 captains and FOs for about a year but has grown in fits and sports over the last 2 years.

ZapBrannigan
02-14-2018, 10:59 AM
We are constrained by gates there.

Didnít AirTran used to have the north side of the concourse too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e6bpilot
02-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Yes. We gave gates back to the airport (read - Delta). I am not sure who made out better in that merger, SWA or Delta?

ZapBrannigan
02-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Yes. We gave gates back to the airport (read - Delta). I am not sure who made out better in that merger, SWA or Delta?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/e7fcd5e6d1ae05b6f563557a870ea0e6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLAHBLAHBLAH
02-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant benefited.

PowerShift
02-15-2018, 08:18 AM
April vacancy, ATL +8 FOís. +10 CAís

e6bpilot
02-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Yeah maybe. I was more referring to the crushing of their main ATL competitor and giving up some very productive narrow body aircraft that now occupy the same gates we divested.
I would love to know what really went down in that whole deal, but whatever. Itís convenient for me when I fly an ATL trip and the 717 I commute in on parks in the C terminal so thereís some lemonade out of that lemon I suppose.
Look closely below and you can see the ghost of airlines past. (Airplane I flew yesterday)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180215/c708e6ae6c5dc11d46b7072417d7cc28.jpg

Hugo Stiglitz
02-15-2018, 01:57 PM
No, AirTran never had the the north part of concourse C. Well, at least going back to the Valuejet/AirTran merger in 1999. before that I'm not sure. Valuejet may have operated out of the north side of C back in the mid 90s. AirTran did have a majority of the gates on the south side of concourse D up until a few years ago. Once AT disappeared completely SWA gave those back to the city, and now SWA only operates out of the south side of C.

e6bpilot
02-15-2018, 02:32 PM
No, AirTran never had the the north part of concourse C. Well, at least going back to the Valuejet/AirTran merger in 1999. before that I'm not sure. Valuejet may have operated out of the north side of C back in the mid 90s. AirTran did have a majority of the gates on the south side of concourse D up until a few years ago. Once AT disappeared completely SWA gave those back to the city, and now SWA only operates out of the south side of C.

Thanks for the clarification. I love the username.

Redchevron
02-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Vacancy means ______? Those are openings for folks to move in? Up or in? I am not a 121 guy but I'm learnable.

e6bpilot
02-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Vacancy means open slots for seats in that base. Atlanta is growing by 18 pilots for the April bid. Thatís a pretty big chunk for one month.
Overall we are plus 55 pilots for April companywide and there are 55 upgrades to go with it (upgrades normally equal half of new hire FOs but they have intentionally lagged them and are now catching up).

hoover
02-15-2018, 05:41 PM
April vacancy, ATL +8 FOís. +10 CAís

MCO had 12 cpt vacancies. Might see some good movement in ATL in April bid.

full of luv
02-16-2018, 06:23 AM

When valuejet/airtran was small the Delta CEO used to say that keeping them there cost money, but kept SWA out. Then Airtran grew up and started selling business class. When SWA finally bought them, they rightsized the hub and charged reasonable fares and got out of the pampered Biz fares market in ATL which has to have actually improved the profitability of the ATL market. Additionally SWA gave DAL the leases and gates in ATL to actually grow the hub at the right time when the market/finances made sense. It's been a win/win for everyone, hence the record PS for both companies.

ecam
02-16-2018, 07:28 AM

Allegiant doesn't fly to ATL. Never has, probably never will.

at6d
02-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Iíve been here over two years and canít hold ATL.

RckyMtHigh
02-16-2018, 11:06 AM
I predict new hires going to ATL in 2019.

e6bpilot
02-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Iíve been here over two years and canít hold ATL.

I think thatís gonna change soon. The AirTran plug could easily hold it. I donít think there are more than a few hired in the last 4 years that want it.

SGRogue
02-16-2018, 05:19 PM
If not ATL based as a new hire, how hard is it to pickup trips or reserve in ATL if I live nearby?

e6bpilot
02-16-2018, 06:09 PM
If not ATL based as a new hire, how hard is it to pickup trips or reserve in ATL if I live nearby?

Easy. The hard part is getting the days off in your regular base in order to pick up.

Hugo Stiglitz
02-17-2018, 05:57 AM

It should be fairly easy during the summer season, but you are competing with a lot of ex AT guys that are still based elsewhere for seniority reasons. All ex AT guys can be back in ATL if they want to be. I agree with the general sentiment that new hires or very junior will be able to hold ATL by next year. SWA has grown ATL over the last year so that bodes well for anyone looking for an ATL base fairly quickly.

BLAHBLAHBLAH
02-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Still need another year of current growth to change the lopsided seniority. Hopefully another 100 per seat.

Redchevron
02-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

If ATL does open up, and I can hold it, I read from these posts that I'll be junior for a long time.

I think that's OK since I'd be living within 2 hours so reserve wouldn't hurt as bad.

Is there a way to show the schedulers I want to fly instead of sit reserve? What I mean is, can I say "I'd like to fly if something becomes available"

Warhawg01
02-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Yes. Pilots on reserve can have a Fly or Pass preference. They will go in seniority and reverse seniority order respectively.

CA1900
02-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Is there a way to show the schedulers I want to fly instead of sit reserve? What I mean is, can I say "I'd like to fly if something becomes available"

As Warhawg said, you can indicate a "Fly" or "Pass" preference, as well as a "pass on the last day only" preference. It's not the first thing they look at -- they'll first look to see if your reserve days are an exact match for the length of the trip they have to assign.

For example, if you have 3 days of reserve remaining, and a 3-day trip comes up, they'll first look at all the guys with exactly 3 remaining days. The "Fly" preferences go first, then the "Pass" guys, within that group of guys with 3 days left. Only when all the day-for-day guys are exhausted (both "Fly" and "Pass") will they move on to other guys on the list with more or fewer days, even if one of them as a "Fly" preference.

In the slow months, the fly/pass preference works fairly well. (I live locally and have a "Pass" preference, and was only used on two of my eight reserve days last month.) In most normal months, the reserves are flown pretty heavily, irrespective of your fly/pass preference.

RJSAviator76
02-18-2018, 06:38 PM
In most normal months, the reserves are flown pretty heavily, irrespective of your fly/pass preference.

I wonder if it's still gonna be the case considering how many FO's we've hired and how far behind they are on upgrades.

Proximity
02-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Nobody has mentioned MTD. Seniority is actually the last thing considered...

First they'll look at who has the best amount of days to fit the trip, then they consider MTD, and lastly they consider seniority.

MTD is the amount of days you have been used on reserve in the calendar month. Considering pilots with pass preference, they'll use them in the order of those with the lowest MTD first. I think "fly pref" is the same, but I'd never select fly pref so I'm not totally sure.

Anyways, I think MTD should be thrown out. Too much "fairness", seniority should have more weight.

Redchevron
02-19-2018, 06:19 PM
How does the newly announced LAX domicile affect ATL possibilities?

e6bpilot
02-19-2018, 07:02 PM
About zero

RckyMtHigh
02-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Nobody has mentioned MTD. Seniority is actually the last thing considered...

First they'll look at who has the best amount of days to fit the trip, then they consider MTD, and lastly they consider seniority.

MTD is the amount of days you have been used on reserve in the calendar month. Considering pilots with pass preference, they'll use them in the order of those with the lowest MTD first. I think "fly pref" is the same, but I'd never select fly pref so I'm not totally sure.

Anyways, I think MTD should be thrown out. Too much "fairness", seniority should have more weight.

MTD was a nice try, but I donít like it in practice. It hoses those with mixed lines or picking up reserve blocks as you are first in line with a zero mtd even if you have been flying all month. Would like to see the reserve rules rewritten for the next contract to favor seniority more.

Stitches
02-20-2018, 06:31 AM
The latest union vacancy projection has early 2016 hires holding ATL in April, a change of about 700 numbers from March. We will know for sure in a couple days.

e6bpilot
02-20-2018, 11:06 AM
The latest union vacancy projection has early 2016 hires holding ATL in April, a change of about 700 numbers from March. We will know for sure in a couple days.

Interesting. That has been pretty accurate plus or minus a couple of numbers in the past.

Skyward
02-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Is that info on the SWAPA site or do they email it? Iíve never been able to find it

RJSAviator76
02-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Is that info on the SWAPA site or do they email it? Iíve never been able to find it

Log into SWAPA website>Committees>Schedule Research>Projected Vacancy Award. Don't pay attention to the month they have on there. It still says March, but it's actually for April. About half the time it's wrong, but the data is correct.

It's usually up around 3-4 days before the bid closes.

Skyward
02-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Log into SWAPA website>Committees>Schedule Research>Projected Vacancy Award. Don't pay attention to the month they have on there. It still says March, but it's actually for April. About half the time it's wrong, but the data is correct.

It's usually up around 3-4 days before the bid closes.

Thanks!!!!

Redchevron
02-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Boom! Just got the call from you guys + Preflight Study Tab!

Recommendations for how to calm the nerves while I wait for ATL?

Labatt
02-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Congrats! Welcome to SWA.

at6d
02-21-2018, 05:46 PM

Welcome.

I like a nice Bulleit Bourbon over ice.

Skyward
02-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Congrats!! Welcome to Southwest

Cysco4120
02-22-2018, 10:59 AM
April awards are out. Junior pilot is 120xxx number. May 2016 hire.

BLAHBLAHBLAH
02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Steep climb after that.