Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reserve Schedule

Azorian
02-14-2018, 10:53 PM
New Hire Portfolio shows 5 on 3 off for reserve.

If i take the gig i would likely proffer Ready Reserve.

1. per the contract i havnt seen yet, if you are on ready reserve 0600-1400. after 1400, sitting at the hotel or crashpad do you have an obligation to answer the phone?

2. is 5 on 3 off typical or are there 5 on 2 off schedules, 4 on 3 off etc?

thanks for feedback

Pedro4President
02-15-2018, 03:06 AM
New Hire Portfolio shows 5 on 3 off for reserve.

If i take the gig i would likely proffer Ready Reserve.

1. per the contract i havnt seen yet, if you are on ready reserve 0600-1400. after 1400, sitting at the hotel or crashpad do you have an obligation to answer the phone?

2. is 5 on 3 off typical or are there 5 on 2 off schedules, 4 on 3 off etc?

thanks for feedback

1.No
2. Yes- Here is a typical schedule for reserve. 4-3-4-3-5-2-5-3.

Contractual- All reserve lines are built with three three day off sequence. If they don't meet that requirement then they build a four day off stretch.
Reality all the lines I have seen recently have three sets of three days off and a two day stretch off.

People are being a bit over dramatic when describing reserve here. Let me just say the reality of commuting to reserve is bad enough. There isn't a need to exaggerate the situation.

Whiskey4
02-15-2018, 01:21 PM
1.No
2. Yes- Here is a typical schedule for reserve. 4-3-4-3-5-2-5-3.

Contractual- All reserve lines are built with three three day off sequence. If they don't meet that requirement then they build a four day off stretch.
Reality all the lines I have seen recently have three sets of three days off and a two day stretch off.

People are being a bit over dramatic when describing reserve here. Let me just say the reality of commuting to reserve is bad enough. There isn't a need to exaggerate the situation.

Agreed with the drama part. I commuted to reserve both as a captain and an FO (different bases each time). As an FO there were no bonuses and much lower starting pay. But, I made it work, and stayed willing to vote for any improvements offered if given the chance.

Insta-captains need to ensure that the perks of being a captain outweigh the negatives of spending a year or two on reserve. No way around that. Being a captain out of the gate is a great way collect a nice signing bonus coming in the door and to boost the hourly rate for OT. Also, I find the general QOL during flight operations to be higher (granted, with more responsibility to boot). If youíre a max time at home guy then a lateral move to Envoy as basically a DCE probably doesnít make sense. If you are a 135 guy who qualifies for captain, but is sick of living on a pager and/or flies crap equipment...it might be a good deal. To each their own...

Azorian
02-15-2018, 01:27 PM
sick of living on a pager

Dating yourself there lol

Whiskey4
02-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Most of my friends have moved onto a two-way, but Iím too cheap for that ;D

bourbon scamp
02-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Heís rollin' like a Playboy beep, beep, beep