Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

FlyingOliver
02-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Ok... I've been reading other posts regarding Horizons pathway program to Alaska on a few threads. Seems like its more of a carrot to attract new hires. I understand why Alaska would what to meter the flow of pilots out of Horizon into their ranks as that creates more pressure Horizon to continuously hire.

SO, for all of us newbies out here looking for the right place to go, answer me this:

What other majors have pilots from Horizon going to? Does DAL, AA, UAL, JB, etc. want to pick us up at some point?? Can we expect a good shot at any of the other legacy carriers?

Cheers

DashAviator
02-16-2018, 06:52 PM
The "Pilot Pathways Program" is mostly worthless. It was developed with little or no input from the pilot union and is NOT supported by our union.

As far as going on to other airlines, I personally know pilots who have been hired by Delta, United, Southwest, Virgin, and Hawaiian. Delta's snapped up a bunch of our pilots, even a couple of fairly junior FO's. If hiring at the majors continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see an actual "flow-through" program with Alaska. This will, of course, only happen after Air Group management has exhausted all other options.

trc8301
02-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Maybe I'm confused, what is the difference between the pathway and a flow? Also who has a flow that is legitimately working? Sounds the AA WO's one is a bust from a timeline perspective.

MedSledDriver
02-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Pathway is more of a gimmick. Its just an interview.

A genuine flow through agreement is seniority based, meaning you just wait your turn to go to a major airline. Both Unions agree to it. In theory if you get hired at PSA or Envoy that could be the last interview you'll ever have in your life. Just wait and flow to American. The time it takes is the downside; 6 to 10 years depending on who you talk to.

American has the only real flow from what I've read. Gojet is calling their pathway to spirit a "flow" but it's still another interview and there are other things that make it a bad deal. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've seen you're more likely to see a flow through agreement to a major from a regional that is 100% owned by that major I.e. American Airlines and PSA, Envoy, Peidmont. The only other majors with wholly owned regionals are Delta - Endeavor and Alsaka - Horizon. United doesn't own any regional just yet but we'll see how that shakes out in the next few years.

Granted I haven't started training yet but if Horizon did have a flow they would be the perfect airline for me.

cloudcruiser
02-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Does anyone have experience with this interview process and how it differs from the "standard" interview? I'm considering applying but haven't done full interview prep yet and don't want to come in too unprepared.

Ashes
02-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Serious question. Why would anyone who’s done their homework on career expectations look at Alaska as anything other than Plan “B” or a resume builder?

word302
02-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Serious question. Why would anyone who’s done their homework on career expectations look at Alaska as anything other than Plan “B” or a resume builder?

Living in PDX is the only reason I could see.

Klsytakesit
02-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Living in PDX is the only reason I could see.

Certainly would not count on that. Word is leaking out that the ”pdx experiment” may be nearing an end....PDX growth has been 100% outsourced to Skywest/Horizon E-175’s .Possibility of a long, slow draw down of the Alaska 737 base in favor of mid California growth....

Vanilla
03-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Close to 100 pilots from the first round of applications are swimming in the hiring pool. July/August is the rumored first class for this program. Next application window opens April 6.

Ispeakjive
03-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Does anyone have experience with this interview process and how it differs from the "standard" interview? I'm considering applying but haven't done full interview prep yet and don't want to come in too unprepared.

Be ready for the following question: "What series of unfortunate personal and professional mis-steps have led you to be here with us in this room today"?

GUFN
03-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Close to 100 pilots from the first round of applications are swimming in the hiring pool. July/August is the rumored first class for this program. Next application window opens April 6.

Just asking, can that be correct? Assuming all the canidates are CAs, "close to 100 pilots" would be roughly be a quarter of QXs captains. If the pool is an mix of CA and FOs that's about 12% of the whole pilot population. 100 poolies just seems like a big number.

Vanilla
03-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Just asking, can that be correct? Assuming all the canidates are CAs, "close to 100 pilots" would be roughly be a quarter of QXs captains. If the pool is an mix of CA and FOs that's about 12% of the whole pilot population. 100 poolies just seems like a big number.

Correct. As of the current list, it's 95 pilots in the pool. The majority of the list are junior-ish people when looking at the big picture. Pilots 1-8 are 1999 hires and earlier. Pilots 9-10 are 2004 to 2005. Pilots 11 to 95 are 2012 to 12/4/2017 hires. It's a mix of CAs and FOs. close to 50/50. Pilots are added to the list in respective seniority and are offered class dates in seniority.

GUFN
03-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Correct. As of the current list, it's 95 pilots in the pool. The majority of the list are junior-ish people when looking at the big picture. Pilots 1-8 are 1999 hires and earlier. Pilots 9-10 are 2004 to 2005. Pilots 11 to 95 are 2012 to 12/4/2017 hires. It's a mix of CAs and FOs. close to 50/50. Pilots are added to the list in respective seniority and are offered class dates in seniority.

Aaaah, I see. It’s a seniority stacked scheme. Lower seniority folks will be in the pool a very long time. Thanks.

Vanilla
07-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Latest Pathway list has 206 pilots. That has doubled since the previous round of interviews. Still dead in the water with Alaska putting hiring and classes on hold. Rumor is classes could resume by October/Fall. Coincidentally, that is when the Alaska/Virgin SLI should be completed.

snackysmores
07-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Lots of stagnation at Alaska right now. Compared to the majors the retirement rates and growth are very small. Expect to sit in the right seat for at least 10 years

Vanilla
07-30-2018, 06:56 PM
The pathways pilots will begin to move over this Fall. :eek:

September 10th 12 pilots - (6 QX GI last of the Guaranteed Interview and 6 from the external pool)
October 1st 12 pilots - (5 pathways and 7 from the external pool)
October 15th 12 pilots - (5 pathways and 7 from the external pool)
October 29th 12 Pilots - (7 pathways and 5 from the external pool)

Fleet Warp
07-31-2018, 03:05 AM

September 10th 12 pilots - (6 QX GI last of the Guaranteed Interview and 6 from the external pool)

Good news!

What is the external pool?

snackysmores
07-31-2018, 06:15 AM
Good news!

What is the external pool?

Everyone else

Fleet Warp
07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Everyone else

Derp. :o:o

Varsity
07-31-2018, 02:04 PM

Flowing 36 pilots in October? That's a ton!

Edit: 17, still a lot!

snackysmores
07-31-2018, 10:24 PM
I doubt they will maintain that rate. Could be it for several months / next spring. Alaska isn't growing and has very little retirements compared to everyone else.

Klsytakesit
08-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Would not be any classes except we agreed to a delay in JCTE until March. They are running these classes because the Airbus pilots are now blocked from bidding to the boeing....beyond that no classes planned

GUFN
08-02-2018, 10:02 AM

It’ll be interesting to know how many Skywest pilots are in the”external pool”.

Klsytakesit
08-02-2018, 09:48 PM
It’ll be interesting to know how many Skywest pilots are in the”external pool”.
Usually one or two. With 5000 pilots they are a good source for airlines to draw from.

Vanilla
08-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Apparently the target is now 50% according to their pathway website and all Horizon social media outlets.

word302
08-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Apparently the target is now 50% according to their pathway website and all Horizon social media outlets.What's 50% of 0?

ASpilot2be
08-18-2018, 10:25 AM
What's 50% of 0?

They are running classes starting next month. And classes are about 50 percent Horizon pilots.

TroutBum
08-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Apparently the target is now 50% according to their pathway website and all Horizon social media outlets.

That's what they told us at interviews as well.

fivebyfive
08-20-2018, 05:50 PM
They are running classes starting next month. And classes are about 50 percent Horizon pilots.

The QX pilots in next months class are hold overs from the guaranteed interview program that have been in the pool for quite some time. QX has only provided an estimate of 17 pathways pilots to be moved up this fall. They also included a disclaimer that there are no guarantees that this will even happen. AG is milking this Pathway Program to attract as many QX new hires as possible before the program looses its legitimacy.

ASpilot2be
08-20-2018, 05:54 PM
The QX pilots in next months class are hold overs from the guaranteed interview program that have been in the pool for quite some time. QX has only provided an estimate of 17 pathways pilots to be moved up this fall. They also included a disclaimer that there are no guarantees that this will even happen. AG is milking this Pathway Program to attract as many QX new hires as possible before the program looses its legitimacy.

Thats true. I was more responding to his quote about zero pilots. Which isnt entirely true. They are taking some QX pilots, just not from the pathways program yet.

Aviatrix Gal
08-20-2018, 07:55 PM

The chief pilot told new hires today that only 206 QXers are in the CPP, so they can expect to get to go to Alaska in 3.5 years. :D

snackysmores
08-26-2018, 05:01 PM
The chief pilot told new hires today that only 206 QXers are in the CPP, so they can expect to get to go to Alaska in 3.5 years. :D

Wildly inaccurate. There's a lot of people who aren't putting themselves on the list because they're actively trying to get to other places. If their plans don't work out, they can just opt in whenever they want since it's seniority based. There's no rush, and nothing stopping someone from waiting to opt in until they're within 20 numbers of going.

Dashdrvr
08-26-2018, 07:10 PM
Wildly inaccurate. There's a lot of people who aren't putting themselves on the list because they're actively trying to get to other places. If their plans don't work out, they can just opt in whenever they want since it's seniority based. There's no rush, and nothing stopping someone from waiting to opt in until they're within 20 numbers of going.
Yup I am one waiting to opt in.

Excargodog
08-27-2018, 09:45 AM

Which begs the question as to whether he was woefully ignorant of that or knowingly deceiving the newbies.

There isn't actually a GOOD answer ti that sort of question though...

snackysmores
08-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Which begs the question as to whether he was woefully ignorant of that or knowingly deceiving the newbies.

There isn't actually a GOOD answer ti that sort of question though...

Probably both. Woefully ignorant, but if he learned the truth he would still knowingly deceive new hires to get them in the door.

Aviatrix Gal
08-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Totally accurate that that's what he said. But I know what you mean. I was just stating a fact, not as opinion. My opinion is that it's a bs hiring gimmick. I also find it interesting that he quoted 3.5 years at 50% flow, which means only 400 new hires at Alaska the next 4 years instead of the. 7-800 Alaska is claiming to hire in the next 3 years...

I'm told "DEC" are not getting the left seat out of training any more either...

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for waiting to join the pathway program?
:D

snackysmores
08-27-2018, 10:08 PM

Handing over your employee records to Alaska and anyone else they want to give them to.

Varsity
08-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Handing over your employee records to Alaska and anyone else they want to give them to.

Sounds like they can close the window to the program at any point they want.

Fleet Warp
08-28-2018, 09:25 AM

That's not different then the American flow agreements. Endeavors preferential Delta interview has the same requirement.

What are you afraid of?

flysnoopy76
08-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Totally accurate that that's what he said. But I know what you mean. I was just stating a fact, not as opinion. My opinion is that it's a bs hiring gimmick. I also find it interesting that he quoted 3.5 years at 50% flow, which means only 400 new hires at Alaska the next 4 years instead of the. 7-800 Alaska is claiming to hire in the next 3 years...

I'm told "DEC" are not getting the left seat out of training any more either...

Not sure where the 700-800 number is coming from, there are three more classes this year for a total of 40-50 and nothing announced beyond that. At the “growth rate” they are talking about there won’t be any need for those kind of new hire numbers.

Yogipilot
08-28-2018, 12:11 PM
That's not different then the American flow agreements. Endeavors preferential Delta interview has the same requirement.

What are you afraid of?

Speechless....making that comment makes any explanation to you complete waste of time, at best a “D” in history class

Fleet Warp
08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Speechless....making that comment makes any explanation to you complete waste of time, at best a “D” in history class

My turn to be speechless. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe i should have worded it what are your concerns? Is that sensitive enough for you? Maybe your superior history knowledge is enough to turn down something that every other major requires of similar programs?

Yogipilot
08-28-2018, 01:23 PM
#1 it’s not a true flow throw
#2 Someone that’s been here 10 yrs vs. a new hire has a lot more history that AS can use against them, hence what if they called in fatigued 5 times a year and in doing so drove the company to make safer scheduling practices for those that come behind them, yet they have this used against them. This is one of many other examples that I’m not going into further.
#3 It’s not within our contract

I get a newbie seeing this as awesome, but in all honesty there is more inside the covers of this book with the pretty cover.

Hope that helps

Fleet Warp
08-28-2018, 02:40 PM
You sound bitter friend. I was once bitter. 11 years at a dying regional. Never upgraded. I got mad too, made some small mistake I wouldn't want to be open knowledge trying to get a fresh start at another company. I get it. By the time I could possibly realistically get a class date at Alaska the way things seem to be going, I'll be an old man.

Best thing I ever did was get a fresh start, change my perspective. Cleared my head, changed my life. It worked for me. I'm prepared tio retire here.

Call it whatever you like, doesn't matter to me. Once you have your number you're only waiting for a class no different then similar programs at the United and Delta. Neither is their need to have access to your entire employee file any different then similar programs at United and Delta. So i don't understand the reason for waiting , it will all be known anyway, i would want to know sooner then later personally...

Anyway I don't want to argue with you, I was only curious as to the reason handing over records was an issue with snackysmores.

snackysmores
08-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Anyway I don't want to argue with you, I was only curious as to the reason handing over records was an issue with snackysmores.

I don't believe the other carriers can turn your entire employment records over to another airline like Alaska can with impunity.

Hypothetically you could get hired at Alaska and then Delta could call you a year later. Alaska then gives Delta your entire record including sick/fatigue/discipline w/e. Delta then says thanks but no thanks, and you're stuck at Alaska.

Fleet Warp
08-28-2018, 03:57 PM
I don't believe the other carriers can turn your entire employment records over to another airline like Alaska can with impunity.

Hypothetically you could get hired at Alaska and then Delta could call you a year later. Alaska then gives Delta your entire record including sick/fatigue/discipline w/e. Delta then says thanks but no thanks, and you're stuck at Alaska.

that's illegal.

oldgb
08-28-2018, 04:31 PM
that's illegal.

Agreed. I believe there is a law that limits what can be shared, and what MUST be shared. Pretty sure the acronym is PRIA.

Here is the link to the PRIA and FOIA data that can be disclosed: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/lic_cert/pria/guidance/media/Info_Provided_By_PRIA_FOIA_and_PA.pdf

Since Alaska Air Group owns both AS and QX, I am sure that the lawyers have gone over the information that is legal to share between the two carriers.

snackysmores
08-28-2018, 05:29 PM
that's illegal.

Not when you sign a release of liability waiver allowing Alaska to do just that.

"I also hereby RELEASE both Horizon and Alaska and all of their respective affiliates, parent
corporations, related entities, officers, directors, agents, employees, insurers, and all persons acting
on their behalf from any and all claims and liabilities of any nature (including costs and attorneys’
fees) arising from the furnishing, disclosure, receipt, and use of such information and release of
employment records.

I acknowledge and understand that the information used, disclosed, and received under this
Authorization may be subject to redisclosure and not be protected by federal or state privacy laws
and I am waiving my rights under such laws related to the information used, disclosed, and/or
received under this Authorization."

If Alaska decided to release your records, even inadvertently or accidentally to another carrier, you cannot sue them. "Oopsies" is covered under this.
Notice how this specific release of liability section does not mention "Only to Alaska" anywhere. "Release of employment records" ...to who? Doesn't specify. AAG legal can easily spin this into a "That's not how we interpret it" if they are challenged in court.

Will Alaska try and screw you over if you get a 737 type and try to bail? I don't know, but with their shady and backstabbing Angle Lake corporate culture I wouldn't put it above them.

Yogipilot
08-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Bitter? Thanks for the diagnosis Dr.? but I’m far from it I’m pretty set just prefer to call BS when I see it I’m outta here the misinformation here gives me some great laughs though :) flame on.

Aviatrix Gal
08-29-2018, 08:18 AM
Not sure where the 700-800 number is coming from, there are three more classes this year for a total of 40-50 and nothing announced beyond that. At the “growth rate” they are talking about there won’t be any need for those kind of new hire numbers.

Originally Posted by Mea25000
2019: 120
2020: 300
2021: 300

snackysmores
08-29-2018, 09:39 AM

I doubt it, Alaska isn't growing and only retiring around 150 over the next 3 years

flysnoopy76
08-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Take about a quarter of that total number and if things go well we might hire that many.

Aviatrix Gal
08-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Take about a quarter of that total number and if things go well we might hire that many.

400 when you reverse engineer the chief pilots math. Thats why I said its funny about the forecast being 720. :D

Ashes
09-03-2018, 02:10 PM
This seems like a less-than-certain opportunity for people to get their foot in the door at a 3rd/4th tier airline. What am I missing here?

DashAviator
09-04-2018, 02:29 PM
This seems like a less-than-certain opportunity for people to get their foot in the door at a 3rd/4th tier airline. What am I missing here?

Nothing, you nailed it. At best, the program is a semi-OK backup plan if you don't get hired by FedEx, Southwest, Delta, or the other major airline of your choice. I think a lot of the guys and gals in the program are going to jump ship as soon as they get a better job offer, be it Alaska or someone else.

PanRobert
09-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Pilots are already required via PRIA to allow transfer of records, at least the ones that matter. This isn’t unique just over at Horizon Air. So, if sick days, or disciplinary details were also transfered, due signing the Alaska papers, who cares? Wouldn’t a pilot have already been honest about that in an interview,,, or at least not try to cover it up by relying on records being confidential?

cactusflyer
09-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Pilots are already required via PRIA to allow transfer of records, at least the ones that matter. This isn’t unique just over at Horizon Air. So, if sick days, or disciplinary details were also transfered, due signing the Alaska papers, who cares? Wouldn’t a pilot have already been honest about that in an interview,,, or at least not try to cover it up by relying on records being confidential?

The problem I have is that those records contain (or allow someone to easily infer) information Alaska isn't legally allowed to have access to for a job interview. If you read through the records release we're required to sign, it specifically mentions "Any other records which contain necessary and relevant information for the Pathways
Program", which basically allows Alaska to look at whatever records they feel like.

Normally, employers are legally prohibited from asking about things like marital status, kids, disabilities, etc... at an interview, but the records we're required to sign over to Alaska would contain some of that information, or would make it pretty easy to figure out.

If the pathways thing was an actual flow agreement, it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but the current setup of the program makes it distinctly possible that Alaska could look at those records, make an illegal hiring decision, and as long as they weren't stupid enough to put something like "We didn't hire Bob because he's gay" in writing, they'd get away with it under the guise of claiming something to the effect of the person "wasn't a good fit."

snackysmores
09-07-2018, 12:20 PM
"If you have nothing to hide, then you won't mind us taking a look right?'

rickair7777
09-08-2018, 07:00 PM
The problem I have is that those records contain (or allow someone to easily infer) information Alaska isn't legally allowed to have access to for a job interview. If you read through the records release we're required to sign, it specifically mentions "Any other records which contain necessary and relevant information for the Pathways
Program", which basically allows Alaska to look at whatever records they feel like.

Normally, employers are legally prohibited from asking about things like marital status, kids, disabilities, etc... at an interview, but the records we're required to sign over to Alaska would contain some of that information, or would make it pretty easy to figure out.

If the pathways thing was an actual flow agreement, it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but the current setup of the program makes it distinctly possible that Alaska could look at those records, make an illegal hiring decision, and as long as they weren't stupid enough to put something like "We didn't hire Bob because he's gay" in writing, they'd get away with it under the guise of claiming something to the effect of the person "wasn't a good fit."

Pretty far fetched that they're looking discriminate against gay, or married, or parents, who work for QX.

They probably just want to look at your attendance records.

snackysmores
09-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Pretty far fetched that they're looking discriminate against gay, or married, or parents, who work for QX.

They probably just want to look at your attendance records.

attendance records, discipline records, and all irregularity / safety reports.

DashAviator
09-12-2018, 07:09 AM

I spent nearly six years on reserve. There were several years in there where Horizon was desperately short-staffed. Reserves would be used right up to their legal limits... every day. I remember being assigned to PM airport reserve, getting to the airport, and seeing a 4-day trip on my line with a 12:30 departure.

Due to the abusive schedules, I'd call in fatigued five or six times a year. Some of my sick calls were also caused by fatigue. I'm sure the company already knows about this. I'm not going to apologize for making a safety-related decision (fatigue call), but I'm not sure I want these disclosed thorough the Pathways program.

Snacky has explained the problems with the Pathways program much more clearly than I can. One final note: The Pathways program is NOT a flow-through, and there is no flow back. If you get fired or furloughed from Alaska, then you're not a Horizon pilot again... you're an unemployed Alaska pilot.

rickair7777
09-19-2018, 08:18 AM

ASAP is confidential. Even from your current employer, they would have to violate an MOU with the FAA to break that.

I did essentially all of my safety reporting via ASAP (a few to CYA, but most to help improve things). Several reasons...

1. Make sure the fed sees it.
2. Confidentiality.
3. Ease of use, that was the system I was familiar with.

DashAviator
09-19-2018, 12:03 PM
The company requires us to file a fatigue report for any fatigue call. I always file an ASAP report as well. This alerts the ASAP committee and the FAA to any scheduling practices or irregular operations that might contribute to fatigue.

snackysmores
09-19-2018, 12:20 PM
ASAP is confidential. Even from your current employer, they would have to violate an MOU with the FAA to break that.

I did essentially all of my safety reporting via ASAP (a few to CYA, but most to help improve things). Several reasons...

1. Make sure the fed sees it.
2. Confidentiality.
3. Ease of use, that was the system I was familiar with.

Correct, ASAP is confidential. Irregularity/safety reports are what they're after.

GUFN
11-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Over in the Alaska Hiring sub-thread I see there is some recent hiring. Any QX Pathway pilots in the new bunch?

Vanilla
11-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Over in the Alaska Hiring sub-thread I see there is some recent hiring. Any QX Pathway pilots in the new bunch?

Latest pathway list shows 5 QX pilots (1 alternate) moving over in December.