Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Schedule flexibility?

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 07:23 AM
How is the schedule flexibility at republic? Are you able to drop trips to get extra time off or is that difficult to do? Thanks in advance.

aperfcrcle
02-19-2018, 09:43 AM
How is the schedule flexibility at republic? Are you able to drop trips to get extra time off or is that difficult to do? Thanks in advance.

Lately, it has been pretty much impossible to drop or even swap trips. On any given day in our most junior base, we have max 3 people (FO) on reserve.

denniseach
02-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Schedule flexibility? What is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Lately, it has been pretty much impossible to drop or even swap trips. On any given day in our most junior base, we have max 3 people (FO) on reserve.

How about if you bid for trips to overlap each other , will they pull one of them??( Iím assuming you guys bid monthly)

TheWeatherman
02-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Compared to other Regionals I would say it is above average. But don't expect much until you gain senority.

FlyGood
02-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by bidding for trips that overlap. We have PBS so you bid for the type of trip you want and days you want off and pray the scheduling gods can build something that matches those preferences. You can bid for specific pairings but you have to be senior enough that nobody would take those specific trips before you with their preferences. We also have a weak SAP but I wouldnít count on that unless you want to add to your schedule. I always bid min hours which gives me my top preferences ever since Iíve been able to hold a line. Then I build off the trade board (not open time) to reach my preferred 95 hour months. That way I have control of what extra trip gets me to 95 hours and not Flica throwing on some crappy extra 4 day with a bunch of 5:30am shows.

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Not sure what you mean by bidding for trips that overlap. We have PBS so you bid for the type of trip you want and days you want off and pray the scheduling gods can build something that matches those preferences. You can bid for specific pairings but you have to be senior enough that nobody would take those specific trips before you with their preferences. We also have a weak SAP but I wouldnít count on that unless you want to add to your schedule. I always bid min hours which gives me my top preferences ever since Iíve been able to hold a line. Then I build off the trade board (not open time) to reach my preferred 95 hour months. That way I have control of what extra trip gets me to 95 hours and not Flica throwing on some crappy extra 4 day with a bunch of 5:30am shows.

I meant like if you were awarded a 4 day trip that starts on the 27th of February, techinically the trip would run into March. Now if you can bid for a trip that starts March 1st for example those 2 trips would overlap. Would they pull the second trip if you had the seniority to be awarded that trip? Pardon my ignorance but whatís flica?

SirLurksalot
02-19-2018, 07:30 PM
I meant like if you were awarded a 4 day trip that starts on the 27th of February, techinically the trip would run into March. Now if you can bid for a trip that starts March 1st for example those 2 trips would overlap. Would they pull the second trip if you had the seniority to be awarded that trip? Pardon my ignorance but whatís flica?

Why does it matter? Youre "choosing skywest"

TheWeatherman
02-19-2018, 07:38 PM
lol, didn't realize it was him. Some strangely specific questions from this guy. Seems high maintenance.

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 07:59 PM

Asking for a friend.

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 08:00 PM
lol, didn't realize it was him. Some strangely specific questions from this guy. Seems high maintenance.

Oh dude very, you have no idea. They better rollout the red carpet when I show up.

FlyGood
02-19-2018, 08:38 PM

Flica is the bidding software. If you have a carryover pairing it will see that and just not award you a trip that conflicts with the trip already on your schedule. So if your pairing carries over to the 2nd of the next month, any trip that operates on the first or second of the month might as well not exist to you. This can be used to your advantage if youíre on the edge of holding a line because you have a trip in the feb bid that carries, letís say 11 credit hours into March, now you only need to find another 64 hours to get a line instead of the full 75. It can also hurt in some situations too. Just depends.

surfpilot1414
02-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Flica is the bidding software. If you have a carryover pairing it will see that and just not award you a trip that conflicts with the trip already on your schedule. So if your pairing carries over to the 2nd of the next month, any trip that operates on the first or second of the month might as well not exist to you. This can be used to your advantage if youíre on the edge of holding a line because you have a trip in the feb bid that carries, letís say 11 credit hours into March, now you only need to find another 64 hours to get a line instead of the full 75. It can also hurt in some situations too. Just depends.
So every month you have to do at least 75 hrs of flying ?

Geardownflaps30
02-20-2018, 05:05 AM
So every month you have to do at least 75 hrs of flying ?

You must bid for at least 75 hours of credit, not necessarily 75 hrs block; trips donít work that way with deadheads, min credit daily duty etc.

However, while you bid for 75 (if you choose) the company may assign more depending upon needs, staffing and your relative seniority within your base.

aperfcrcle
02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
You must bid for at least 75 hours of credit, not necessarily 75 hrs block; trips donít work that way with deadheads, min credit daily duty etc.

However, while you bid for 75 (if you choose) the company may assign more depending upon needs, staffing and your relative seniority within your base.

lol, may?? I don't think I have ever been assigned a line with less than 85 hours of credit and I bid min credit every month. The only way you can get 75 hours is if someone takes a trip from you on the tradeboard because the company will not let you drop.

4V14T0R
02-20-2018, 06:43 AM
lol, may?? I don't think I have ever been assigned a line with less than 85 hours of credit and I bid min credit every month. The only way you can get 75 hours is if someone takes a trip from you on the tradeboard because the company will not let you drop.

Not true at all. Look through the initial awards. There are plenty that are awarded 75 hours. Maybe those senior to you in your base bid 75 also, so by the time awards get to you in order to get the requisite avg time youíre forced to more hours.

Ni7irs
02-20-2018, 08:16 AM

So, they can make you take more than the 75 hours? And you cant pay someone to take a trip for you?

FlyGood
02-20-2018, 09:09 AM
I havenít been awarded more than 81 hours in any month since Iíve been able to hold a line except December of last year so you can definitely get low time lines if you want, just depends on base.

4V14T0R
02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
So, they can make you take more than the 75 hours? And you cant pay someone to take a trip for you?

Each base is required to have an AVG credit awarded, this is set by the company. The more senior you are in that base the better chance you are to get the amount of credit you want. Thatís how seniority works. Now if people senior to you want more credit (more than the AVG set by the company) than some junior people can hold credit lower than that AVG. At all times the AVG for that base and seat must meet the AVG set by the company. So yes, the company can force more than 75. Many of our FOs naturally want more than the AVG set by the company.

To your second question, you can put any trips up on the trade board and incentivize others to take it. The logistics of which are up to you and whomever wants that trip.

stbloc
02-20-2018, 05:12 PM
On a 75 hour line how many nights will you be away?

FlyGood
02-20-2018, 06:44 PM
On a 75 hour line how many nights will you be away?

Assuming you live in base and donít have to commute in or out at beginning or end of trips 10 is a pretty solid bet. Maybe 9 if you get some really nice credit trips. Worst case scenario probably 12 with bad credit trips. But thatís just my experience and it mayyyyy be dependent on the base.

ORD170
02-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Days off will be greatly impacted by whether you commute or live in base. The outstation bases are not commuter friendly at Republic, because you will start very early (0500L) and finish very late (2345L). Sounds like the much anticipated SAP is a flop, so I would go to Republic for SAP. Besides the company can terminate it next January without union consent.

Live in base at Republic and you will be happier and make more money.

4V14T0R
02-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Days off will be greatly impacted by whether you commute or live in base. The outstation bases are not commuter friendly at Republic, because you will start very early (0500L) and finish very late (2345L). Sounds like the much anticipated SAP is a flop, so I would go to Republic for SAP. Besides the company can terminate it next January without union consent.

Well, I was able to swap out my whole schedule for other trips Iíd rather work. So SAP worked for me but you have to understand the restrictions and work within them. It would be a lot better with less or even no restrictions (obviously). I thought there was a 6 month trial on SAP, so that would mean this July not January. Either the company or union could cancel it. Itís my understanding after talking to multiple people who run awards that the results were better than anticipated. They were able to squeak out multiple hard lines and composite lines after the SAP process too. So Iím not sure how you can say SAP is a flop when it worked as intended or better. The people complaining donít understand it because apparently they canít read. Itís all in the contract.

stringandrudder
02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Until they close the base in whatever crap town you moved to.

TheWeatherman
02-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Well whatever the issue they need to fix this quick or scrap the whole thing. I had enough of this sh*& of not finding out when I work reserve the next month until 2 days before the start of it.

4V14T0R
02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Well whatever the issue they need to fix this quick or scrap the whole thing. I had enough of this sh*& of not finding out when I work reserve the next month until 2 days before the start of it.

[emoji849]

Youíve been here for what, 6 months? Relax. This is the 2nd month of SAP. The issues this month were not SAP related, except the late start for SAP 2 which is a result of SAP 1 taking so long to process.

ORD170
02-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Until they close the base in whatever crap town you moved to.

Very true! Probably best to move to Indianapolis, because that place is probably safe until the place shuts down.

ORD170
02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

That sounds like a contract violation. Be sure to file a grievance, because thatís not even close to the CBA timeline.

Isnít this only the second month of SAP? If so hopefully things will improve.

TheWeatherman
02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
That sounds like a contract violation. Be sure to file a grievance, because that’s not even close to the CBA timeline.

Isn’t this only the second month of SAP? If so hopefully things will improve.
I misread it, the schedule is being posted the 24th not the 26th (unless they delay it again) of this month according to the memo. But that is still ridiculous, 4 days until the end of the fricken month. While line holders already have a general idea of their schedule as it has already been posted and any manipulation of it through SAP is of their own doing, Reserves are hung out to dry waiting for this stupid process to complete because they won't post our schedule until the line-holders are complete. I cannot make any plans for March until this Saturday.

ORD170
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM
I misread it, the schedule is being posted the 24th not the 26th (unless they delay it again) of this month according to the memo. But that is still ridiculous, 4 days until the end of the fricken month. While line holders already have a general idea of their schedule as it has already been posted and any manipulation of it through SAP is of their own doing, Reserves are hung out to dry waiting for this stupid process to complete because they won't post our schedule until the line-holders are complete. I cannot make any plans for March until this Saturday.

Pretty sure thatís still a contract violation. I thought SAP was already included in the timeline, and schedules should be posted by the 21st at noon. Republic is cheap, so this isnít a surprise.

stbloc
02-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Assuming you live in base and donít have to commute in or out at beginning or end of trips 10 is a pretty solid bet. Maybe 9 if you get some really nice credit trips. Worst case scenario probably 12 with bad credit trips. But thatís just my experience and it mayyyyy be dependent on the base.
I was hoping you would say 8. If I bid reserve will I be abused or will that maximise my time home?

DiveAndDrive
02-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Speaking of schedules, how much does a pilot get around the system from their crew base (specifically, ORD)? Do you get to see a lot of the cities, or do you find yourselves doing the same out and backs all day everyday? I know I'm being petty, but one of the things I'm looking for at my next airline is variety. TIA!

FlyGood
02-23-2018, 08:28 PM
I was hoping you would say 8. If I bid reserve will I be abused or will that maximise my time home?

Reserve would depend on staffing. When I was on reserve I was almost never used. People hired 3 months later might tell a very different story. With reserve you also run the risk of out of base reserve which is cool if you commute to reserve cuz itís 24/7 per diem and a paid for hotel but not so great if you sit reserve at home and now you have a bunch of extra nights away from home. We also donít have ďcall lastĒ or ďcall first,Ē the call list is totally dependent on how many days of reserve you have left. Having said all that if you live in base you can bid day trips and that would cut down time away from home. I always forget those exist cuz my drive to work causes me to avoid them like the plague.

surfpilot1414
02-24-2018, 03:09 AM
Reserve would depend on staffing. When I was on reserve I was almost never used. People hired 3 months later might tell a very different story. With reserve you also run the risk of out of base reserve which is cool if you commute to reserve cuz itís 24/7 per diem and a paid for hotel but not so great if you sit reserve at home and now you have a bunch of extra nights away from home. We also donít have ďcall lastĒ or ďcall first,Ē the call list is totally dependent on how many days of reserve you have left. Having said all that if you live in base you can bid day trips and that would cut down time away from home. I always forget those exist cuz my drive to work causes me to avoid them like the plague.
Is SAP at republic the same as PSA? You can trade your trips with whatís available and sort of make your own schedule?

knewyork
02-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Speaking of schedules, how much does a pilot get around the system from their crew base (specifically, ORD)? Do you get to see a lot of the cities, or do you find yourselves doing the same out and backs all day everyday? I know I'm being petty, but one of the things I'm looking for at my next airline is variety. TIA!

In 2 years Iíve flown 263 routes to 73 different airports. EWR based doing UA flying. Thatís why Iím EWR based rather than LGA. LGA is a lot of DL/AA shuttle type stuff. UA at EWR is a lot more variety. I think the outstations may have variety as well.

FlyGood
02-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Our SAP is far more restrictive than PSAís. Iíve used it to add stuff and swap 3 days for 4 days over the same general block of days. But, dropping seems a bit tougher.

Flightcap
02-27-2018, 01:37 PM
Is SAP at republic the same as PSA? You can trade your trips with whatís available and sort of make your own schedule?

Our SAP is much less effective than PSA's because it is restricted based on the reserve coverage available where theirs is not. Once the reserve coverage for a particular day gets low enough the system will not allow any more drops for that day. The result is that all the drops that can happen have already happened by the end of seniority-based SAP 1 and the junior guys don't get squat in the first-come-first-served base SAP 2 because no trip drop/swaps are able to be approved.

We've only had it for two months so the above is very preliminary info.

surfpilot1414
02-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Our SAP is much less effective than PSA's because it is restricted based on the reserve coverage available where theirs is not. Once the reserve coverage for a particular day gets low enough the system will not allow any more drops for that day. The result is that all the drops that can happen have already happened by the end of seniority-based SAP 1 and the junior guys don't get squat in the first-come-first-served base SAP 2 because no trip drop/swaps are able to be approved.

Why did they bring SAP? Was it to improve QOL or was it to benefit the company in some way??

Flightcap
02-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Why did they bring SAP? Was it to improve QOL or was it to benefit the company in some way??

The intent of SAP is/was to improve QOL, particularly for junior pilots. Our SAP thus far is a textbook example of how SAP can fail to do that based on how it is implemented and what restrictions are placed on it.

stringandrudder
02-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Our SAP is also much less effective than PSA because if you know how to bid properly, you can likely get what you want if you are senior enough to hold what you are asking for. In both situations, if youíre trying to fly the least possible per month, it requires a certain level of seniority - PSA, several months to hold a round 1 line, and several more not at a non-outstation base, and same with republic to be senior enough to actually get close to min award (75h).

If you spend enough time learning PBS and FLICA, that combined with our trip efficiency is essentially the same as PSA SAP. 20 off, 76 credit, 15 months on property. All commutable.

surfpilot1414
03-01-2018, 03:41 AM
Our SAP is also much less effective than PSA because if you know how to bid properly, you can likely get what you want if you are senior enough to hold what you are asking for. In both situations, if youíre trying to fly the least possible per month, it requires a certain level of seniority - PSA, several months to hold a round 1 line, and several more not at a non-outstation base, and same with republic to be senior enough to actually get close to min award (75h).

If you spend enough time learning PBS and FLICA, that combined with our trip efficiency is essentially the same as PSA SAP. 20 off, 76 credit, 15 months on property. All commutable.
You get 20 days off a month???

stringandrudder
03-01-2018, 12:42 PM
You get 20 days off a month???

I did in February and March. It varies month to month, which is kind of my point! Sometimes I want to work more (rare) or less (most of the time) ... personally, not a big fan of the snowstorm flying :D

surfpilot1414
03-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I did in February and March. It varies month to month, which is kind of my point! Sometimes I want to work more (rare) or less (most of the time) ... personally, not a big fan of the snowstorm flying :D
What did those months look like ?

stringandrudder
03-02-2018, 08:01 AM
What did those months look like ?

https://image.ibb.co/fU7x57/Screen_Shot_2018_03_02_at_11_57_50_AM.png

https://image.ibb.co/eAQjk7/Screen_Shot_2018_03_02_at_11_58_03_AM.png

:)

JG4245
03-02-2018, 08:41 AM
I am a little over halfway up the seniority list in IND and routinely get 16+ days off. I had 19 off in December and 18 off in January without using vacation. I have zero complaints about the schedule considering I live in base. YMMV.

surfpilot1414
03-02-2018, 09:30 AM
https://image.ibb.co/fU7x57/Screen_Shot_2018_03_02_at_11_57_50_AM.png

https://image.ibb.co/eAQjk7/Screen_Shot_2018_03_02_at_11_58_03_AM.png

:)
Dude thatís awesome

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1