Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Horizon To Alaska?

CaptainTeezy
03-30-2007, 06:31 AM
I saw a note on APC that if you have 2000 SIC at Horizon you can "apply" with Alaska Airlines. Is this really a common route for Horizon guys? What are the details behind this deal? Would they take a 2000 hour SIC guy over a 1000 CRJ PIC guy? Details PLZ?!?!

crjav8er
03-30-2007, 06:40 AM
I saw a note on APC that if you have 2000 SIC at Horizon you can "apply" with Alaska Airlines. Is this really a common route for Horizon guys? What are the details behind this deal? Would they take a 2000 hour SIC guy over a 1000 CRJ PIC guy? Details PLZ?!?!

If you want to work for alaska and live in the northwest it is a great deal. Even with these reduced minimums they only are hiring about 30% from horizon (including CA's). Even if they hired a 0 PIC FO, the 1000 CRJ PIC guy could apply at other majors, the 0 PIC FO could not.

rickair7777
03-30-2007, 07:49 AM
If you want to work for alaska and live in the northwest it is a great deal. Even with these reduced minimums they only are hiring about 30% from horizon (including CA's). Even if they hired a 0 PIC FO, the 1000 CRJ PIC guy could apply at other majors, the 0 PIC FO could not.

A 0 PIC RJ FO can apply at CAL, CAL, Jet Blue, USAir/Cactus (pre-meger) and others.

CAL and Cactus have hired plenty of people with 1000 RJ SIC, but you need to know someone.

QCappy
03-31-2007, 09:59 PM

No, it's not common. It just started a few weeks ago.

Flyin1500
04-01-2007, 07:02 AM
You also need an ATP.

DashDriver
04-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Alaska is doing this because they have trouble getting Captains with PIC time to apply. Current starting pay at Alaska is 30K, with 55k second year and a long slow climb after that. A Horizon Q400 captain is looking at a 45k/yr pay cut to go to Alaska and sit right seat for the next ten years. Ugly.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see some 'Majors' start taking flight school grads directly. After all, if a guy can fly an RJ with 50 hours multi, they can certainly fly a 737. Should they? Doesn't really enter into it...

de727ups
04-01-2007, 05:20 PM
"Should they? Doesn't really enter into it..."

Well, it enters into it for me, but I totally see your point and I hope you're wrong.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1