Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Lax - new base!

FlyingPirate
02-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Opening in 4th Quarter of this year with a small group of ETOPS pilots.

Discuss

slammer1906
02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Opening in 4th Quarter of this year with a small group of ETOPS pilots.

Discuss

Hawaiian airlines acquisition. :)

RJSAviator76
02-19-2018, 04:52 PM

Hawaiian no longer has the LAX base.

Salukidawg
02-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Wrong state Airline......Alaska.

KenNoisewaterMD
02-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Sun Country acquisition? Already ETOPS ready, likely cheapest option.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sun-country-airlines-announces-two-new-destinations-honolulu-hawaii-and-myrtle-beach-south-carolina-300574029.html

PowerShift
02-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Will it go junior, senior? Discuss at will.

e6bpilot
02-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Will it go junior, senior? Discuss at will.

It’s only going to be 100 total pilots initially so I am guessing senior at first. That plus the bulk of the Hawaii stuff sounds like it is going to be there.

slammer1906
02-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Hawaiian no longer has the LAX base.

What does that have to do with an acquisition? :confused:

flysocal77
02-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Highly doubt there is an acquisition in our near future. Not in this economy. Maybe after we beat up Hawaiian for a few years and the economy turns it will happen. As for the LAX base it will eventually be junior. The SoCal commuters go to LAS/OAK so it will draw from those bases making them junior also. I bet there are around 150 SoCal pilots not counting SAN commuters. They might try it for a month but that’s a brutal drive! I’m pretty happy about the base as you can tell from my handle I will be driving to work very soon!

ZapBrannigan
02-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Everybody is dumping capacity into Hawaii before we get there. UAL, Sun Country, Frontier, Virgin Alaska... SWA may find competition a little rougher than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJSAviator76
02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Everybody is dumping capacity into Hawaii before we get there. UAL, Sun Country, Frontier, Virgin Alaska... SWA may find competition a little rougher than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeding our own pax, but honestly, I think we’re gonna clean Hawaiian’s clock flying interisland, and I think that’s gonna be our ticket.

e6bpilot
02-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Clean Hawaiians clock? That’s pretty bold. They aren’t new at doing this. We are.
What is to stop Delta from doing the exact same thing with narrowbody aircraft or United from doing it with 175s?
I think we will make money on Hawaii, but I think it is more about using our network to get people there than being some sort of disruptive force. It’s an airplane seat. To Hawaii.
I am sure it will be “industry leading” in some way, but I don’t think this is going to be as big a deal as many think.

Peacock
02-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Can 175’s fly that far?

RJSAviator76
02-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Clean Hawaiians clock? That’s pretty bold. They aren’t new at doing this. We are.
What is to stop Delta from doing the exact same thing with narrowbody aircraft or United from doing it with 175s?
I think we will make money on Hawaii, but I think it is more about using our network to get people there than being some sort of disruptive force. It’s an airplane seat. To Hawaii.
I am sure it will be “industry leading” in some way, but I don’t think this is going to be as big a deal as many think.

Interisland Hawaii has traditionally been a two airline market. With Aloha’s demise, Hawaiian has had a virtual monopoly and they’ve been gouging people there.

It used to be that the legacies would all fly into HNL and then connect to Hawaiian or Aloha for the interisland segment. Nowadays, virtually every legacy flies directly to the neighbor island leaving interisland market still under Hawaiian’s monopoly. That’s why I think we’d do really well there.

PotatoChip
02-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Can 175’s fly that far?

He/she meant inter-island.

flyguy81
02-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Can 175’s fly that far?

RAH did it for a year or so. Had to get fuel bladders and fly it to Alaska and then south. Same headed back after they killed the base.

Beaver Hunter
02-22-2018, 05:22 PM
I think SW will find Hawaii a hard nut to crack. After all if it was so easy, everyone would do it.
Also what’s with the hate for HA? They are a good operator and do a great job.

e6bpilot
02-23-2018, 09:18 AM
I think SW will find Hawaii a hard nut to crack. After all if it was so easy, everyone would do it.

Also what’s with the hate for HA? They are a good operator and do a great job.

Beaver,
Nobody is going to do Hawaii like Southwest. Our training center is hard at work right now finding new routes to get the 737 there and searching out the sleaziest gates at HNL to park our airplanes at.
SWA Hawaii is going to be “industry leading”, just you watch! We took all those lessons learned and best practices from the legacy boys and put them in the stalls in Dallas for toilet paper. Then we hired a handful of F-16 guys who have never flown there and told them to approach this Hawaii thing like you are going to the moon. The result is going to bankrupt every other carrier and cause HAL to sell out to us for pennies on the dollar.

FlyGirl727
02-23-2018, 09:29 AM
What do these F-16 guys know about ETOPS? Go to Alaska and spend some bucks to buy their ETOPS expertise. ETOPS is not a sortie.

T28driver
02-23-2018, 09:38 AM
What do these F-16 guys know about ETOPS? Go to Alaska and spend some bucks to buy their ETOPS expertise. ETOPS is not a sortie.

...god I hate the word Sortie. Almost as much as I hate it when foreign guys say “sector”.

e6bpilot
02-23-2018, 09:43 AM
You are talking about God's fighter jet. How dare you?
Them boys at Alaska may fly the same airplane, but no way they can do it as good as we can.
We will be flying sorties in and out of Hickam...I mean HNL so fast it will make their head spin. Once we go oceanic we can just take a shortcut and bump the speed up a little and we should be fine! ETOPS, SCHMETOPS.

ZapBrannigan
02-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Beaver,
Nobody is going to do Hawaii like Southwest. Our training center is hard at work right now finding new routes to get the 737 there and searching out the sleaziest gates at HNL to park our airplanes at.
SWA Hawaii is going to be “industry leading”, just you watch! We took all those lessons learned and best practices from the legacy boys and put them in the stalls in Dallas for toilet paper. Then we hired a handful of F-16 guys who have never flown there and told them to approach this Hawaii thing like you are going to the moon. The result is going to bankrupt every other carrier and cause HAL to sell out to us for pennies on the dollar.

Damn it hurts when you snort coffee out of your nose. [emoji23]🤬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHACKMASTER
02-23-2018, 09:53 AM
LMAO. Spot on! Don’t stop. Only hilarious because it’s so true.

RJSAviator76
02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Beaver,

LMAO!!

Though there is some hope. From what I hear, there are several former Aloha and ATA guys involved in setting this thing up as well.

ZapBrannigan
02-23-2018, 11:55 AM
This thread deserves a throwback to the finest PA announcement ever delivered. His name is Hollywood and he will be succinct.

https://youtu.be/kQFeZRNNL6U

FlyingPirate
02-23-2018, 12:23 PM
This thread deserves a throwback to the finest PA announcement ever delivered. His name is Hollywood and he will be succinct.

https://youtu.be/kQFeZRNNL6U

This. Is. GOLD! Why didn't we hire him?

Beaver Hunter
02-23-2018, 12:30 PM
...god I hate the word Sortie. Almost as much as I hate it when foreign guys say “sector”.

I feel the same about “Despatch vs Dispatch “
Serinaty now!!

dawgdriver
02-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Or call YO-llegiant. They ran ETOPS (Engines-Turn-Or-Pax-Swim) on a shoestring.

Didn't go well.

full of luv
02-24-2018, 08:16 AM
I feel the same about “Despatch vs Dispatch “
Serinaty now!!

Serenity Now!!

What is despatch.....never heard that before. Or is your misspelling used to call out someone else's misspelling?

ROFF
02-24-2018, 08:37 AM
Serenity Now!!

What is despatch.....never heard that before. Or is your misspelling used to call out someone else's misspelling?

Just be thankful you haven't.

Beaver Hunter
02-24-2018, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=full of luv;2535931]Serenity Now!!

What is despatch.....never heard that before. Or is your misspelling used to call out someone else's misspelling?[/QUOTE
You have to live through it to get it. Be glad you don’t.

FlyGirl727
02-27-2018, 04:42 AM
Hawaiian has 20 717-200 that fly 160 flights per day inter island. If we think we will hurt them with one or two aircraft a day out there, you're drinking too much of Herb's Wild Turkey.

RJSAviator76
02-27-2018, 05:30 AM
Hawaiian has 20 717-200 that fly 160 flights per day inter island. If we think we will hurt them with one or two aircraft a day out there, you're drinking too much of Herb's Wild Turkey.

Mesa/go! came in with 4 50-seat RJ’s and literally destroyed the market pushing Aloha (61 year player) with 16 737’s dedicated to interisland market out of business...

If Southwest plays it right... that’s where we could make our money.

av8tor55
02-27-2018, 07:14 AM
Mesa/go! came in with 4 50-seat RJ’s and literally destroyed the market pushing Aloha (61 year player) with 16 737’s dedicated to interisland market out of business...

If Southwest plays it right... that’s where we could make our money.

While go! may have been the last straw, Aloha went out of business due to a myriad of reasons that started long before go! arrived on the scene.

The barriers to success in the interisland market for any new entrant are high: Gate space, maintenance hangars, and having the right aircraft.

Do you think that SWA management is willing to invest the capital for a tiny market? It would be interesting to see if a HNL base was started, because I really can’t see using ETOPS planes interisland. What about MKK and LNY?

kingairfun
02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Boarding lines A,B, and C is gonna work really well in Hawaii

WestCoastHercs
03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Any gouge on how quickly we will grow the base?

Also, the email sent out to company stated 100 pilots & 400 FAs.
Those numbers don't jive with the rest of the system.
Any chance it's 100CA & 100FO?
That would be closer to the standard ratio...right?

SlipKid
03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Beaver,

Too funny, and dead on.

I hope ETOPs goes better than Class 2 Nav. We bought an airline that had been doing WATRS flying for years. Instead of adopting their proven procedures, we come up with all sorts of cockamamie stuff that was guaranteed to, and did, fail. :eek:

Raidr17
03-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Any gouge on how quickly we will grow the base?

Also, the email sent out to company stated 100 pilots & 400 FAs.
Those numbers don't jive with the rest of the system.
Any chance it's 100CA & 100FO?
That would be closer to the standard ratio...right?

I was at recurrent three weeks ago and CD talked to us. Growing pilots from 100 (50/50) to 500 (250/250) by late spring 2019. Everyone in LAX ETOPS trained along with 1/3rd of OAK. OAK ETOPS was required for line building to incorporate the inter island flying.

e6bpilot
03-22-2018, 08:51 AM
So can I bid into OAK or LA and get ETOPS trained, bid back to my normal base and then poach Hawaii trips from my couch in OKC?
I need to read this contract thing that we agreed to.

at6d
03-22-2018, 08:55 AM
I thought I read something about a seatlock (base lock?) for a term after bidding an ETOPS bid group?

Will look into it.

Raidr17
03-22-2018, 09:13 AM
So can I bid into OAK or LA and get ETOPS trained, bid back to my normal base and then poach Hawaii trips from my couch in OKC?
I need to read this contract thing that we agreed to.

Sect 9.e Vacancy Locks.

The way I read it it’s a seat lock for sure, and locked to bases with EBGs (LAX and OAK). You can be involuntarily displaced.

So to answer your question no unless you’re going to commute to LAX/OAK from OKC.

Lugar
03-22-2018, 09:14 AM
I thought I read something about a seatlock (base lock?) for a term after bidding an ETOPS bid group?

Will look into it.

Six months.

Lugar
03-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Interisland Hawaii has traditionally been a two airline market. With Aloha’s demise, Hawaiian has had a virtual monopoly and they’ve been gouging people there.

Sorry, but I don’t see $50-80 with advanced notice each way as “gouging”

WestCoastHercs
03-25-2018, 12:19 PM
I was at recurrent three weeks ago and CD talked to us. Growing pilots from 100 (50/50) to 500 (250/250) by late spring 2019. Everyone in LAX ETOPS trained along with 1/3rd of OAK. OAK ETOPS was required for line building to incorporate the inter island flying.

That’s the gouge I was looking for!
What’s the deal going to be for the ETOPS qual?

e6bpilot
03-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Sect 9.e Vacancy Locks.

The way I read it it’s a seat lock for sure, and locked to bases with EBGs (LAX and OAK). You can be involuntarily displaced.

So to answer your question no unless you’re going to commute to LAX/OAK from OKC.

Depends on what my seniority would be there. There are multiple nonstops to LA from OKC every day. If I can give away my trips and only fly 1-2 trips a month from there then the juice may be worth the squeeze. I have a feeling that until it sees some real growth it is going to be senior.

Bwipilot
03-25-2018, 01:24 PM
That’s the gouge I was looking for!

I'm guessing it'll be a 2 hr on line training class showing where the ETP will be on the release, whether to run the APU to the ETP, and how to turn around for problem prior to ETP or insufficient fuel.

Does that make me qualified?

ROFF
03-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Training complete!

flyguy81
03-26-2018, 06:33 AM
I'm guessing it'll be a 2 hr on line training class showing where the ETP will be on the release, whether to run the APU to the ETP, and how to turn around for problem prior to ETP or insufficient fuel.

Does that make me qualified?

2-4 days in DAL doing “stuff”

FlyGirl727
03-26-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing if the Mil Jet Jocks are building the ETOPS program, it will depart SoCal, refuel over Guam, land in Brisbane Australia for a debrief. Then ask Quantas if they wouldn't mind letting us follow them in close formation until we can request direct Hawaii. :D

Typhoondiver
03-26-2018, 07:16 PM
I'm guessing if the Mil Jet Jocks are building the ETOPS program, it will depart SoCal, refuel over Guam, land in Brisbane Australia for a debrief. Then ask Quantas if they wouldn't mind letting us follow them in close formation until we can request direct Hawaii. :D
As a previous mil guy I am hoping they have some ETOPS certified chairs in Dallas. I need adequate equipment for my chairflying of the route, and frequency changes.
Disclaimer: I do recognize that there is a little more to ETOPS flying.