Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Empire Airlines General questions

Paladin145
02-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Hello,

I just applied to Empire, and am hoping for KAFW.

How is the QOL ?

How much flight time?

Company culture ?

Training?

Thanks !

txflyer9
02-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Not a bad place to be. You are treated well. Only downside is flight time is slow to build especially at AFW.

Paladin145
02-20-2018, 03:04 PM
It seems you get more time at Ohana, so I may try that.

Not a bad place to be. You are treated well. Only downside is flight time is slow to build especially at AFW.

Bruno82
02-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know what TUL is looking like? What do the schedules look like?

jharris0903
03-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Anyone flying Ohana have any info on pay, lines, upgrade times?

Rommy
03-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know what TUL is looking like? What do the schedules look like?

Tulsa has two ATR's. one departs for AFW at about 9pm sits for a couple hours and returns about 330am. The other leaves a little later for AFW and returns a little later as well. monday night through thursday night.

Rommy
03-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Anyone flying Ohana have any info on pay, lines, upgrade times?

Pay is what is posted online. Look under the Empire profile its buried in there. Lines are mixed, about 17 days a month with a mixture of flying, airport reserve and long call reserve. Upgrade as soon as you meet FAA mins.

El Pilot
03-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Pay is what is posted online. Look under the Empire profile its buried in there. Lines are mixed, about 17 days a month with a mixture of flying, airport reserve and long call reserve. Upgrade as soon as you meet FAA mins.

Any info on the PHX C208 runs? I saw them looking for Pilots in PHX on the orange site and I was just curious.

Rommy
03-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Any info on the PHX C208 runs? I saw them looking for Pilots in PHX on the orange site and I was just curious.

I think its mostly early start, short flight, hang out at the outstation, home around dinner time.

shoestrings1229
03-11-2018, 09:31 PM

How about "commuting" from one of the other islands or do you have to live on Oahu?

Rommy
03-12-2018, 07:59 AM
How about "commuting" from one of the other islands or do you have to live on Oahu?

You would need a crash pad on Oahu

dave108
03-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Anyone based in GEG on the ATR? Whatís the sched like? Home most nights? Thanks in advance

Baja Boy
03-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Anyone based in GEG on the ATR? Whatís the sched like? Home most nights? Thanks in advance

Early start (around 7:00 am), short flight, hang out at the outstation, home around dinner time (around 5:30 pm -6:00 pm).

El Pilot
03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Do they hire at minimums? I sent my stuff in a week ago and havenít heard back from them. Interested in the PHX base.

dave108
03-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Early start (around 7:00 am), short flight, hang out at the outstation, home around dinner time (around 5:30 pm -6:00 pm).

Sounds great. Thinking of walking my resume into CDA. Thanks for the info!

Baja Boy
03-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Do they hire at minimums? I sent my stuff in a week ago and havenít heard back from them. Interested in the PHX base.

The hiring mins are on the website.

TimetoClimb
03-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Do they consistently hire into the Ohana side?, it's a small operation that's why. Looking at applying in a few months.

jimjam
03-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Does anyone here have knowledge about Ohana airlines?

Baja Boy
03-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Do they consistently hire into the Ohana side?, it's a small operation that's why. Looking at applying in a few months.

They are adding 3-4 aircraft in the next 6 months, so yes, they are hiring.

Baja Boy
03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Does anyone here have knowledge about Ohana airlines?

What information are you looking for?

TimetoClimb
03-15-2018, 10:27 PM
They are adding 3-4 aircraft in the next 6 months, so yes, they are hiring.

Thanks , hopefully the timing works out.

TimetoClimb
03-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know where to find an interview gouge for the ATR FO position? The usual suspects don't have many up to date reports. Worst thing to do Is get caught like a deer in the headlights with the technical portion...if they get into the nitty gritty.

El Pilot
03-22-2018, 08:52 AM
I heard there may be a class in late April for C208. Not sure about the ATR's.

Flyinlynn
03-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Well darn missed the opening in SEA looks like they hired someone before I was able to finish up my night hours.

Maybe next time ....

Redbeard
04-01-2018, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know where to find an interview gouge for the ATR FO position? The usual suspects don't have many up to date reports. Worst thing to do Is get caught like a deer in the headlights with the technical portion...if they get into the nitty gritty.

Seems like they base it off experience. I had some 135 time going into the interview and they didn't really ask anything technical, only a couple "tell me what you would do if..." I heard others that were instructors when getting interviewed got a couple tech questions.

Don't sweat it too much, I haven't heard anyone say that the interview was tough. Its all over the phone too, so just have an IFR cheat sheet in front of you so that you don't space out and say something stupid :D

Rangi
04-02-2018, 12:55 PM
The interview is casual, HR phone call with TMAT and WWYD questions. If that goes well, you talk to one of the CPs. They both know what they are looking for experience wise, so neither of them are going to try to getcha with obscure questions.

In other news, this was announced today.

Empire Airlines :: purplerunway (http://www.empireairlines.com/careers/purplerunway)

El Pilot
04-02-2018, 08:21 PM
The interview is casual, HR phone call with TMAT and WWYD questions. If that goes well, you talk to one of the CPs. They both know what they are looking for experience wise, so neither of them are going to try to getcha with obscure questions.

In other news, this was announced today.

Empire Airlines :: purplerunway (http://www.empireairlines.com/careers/purplerunway)

I saw that today in the morning. It looks promising, just like the regionals are doing. How long in theory could the process take say starting at 1200 on the Caravan, to FedEx? Also I heard Empire is getting the new Cessna Skycouriers in 2020.

Rangi
04-04-2018, 05:22 PM
I saw that today in the morning. It looks promising, just like the regionals are doing. How long in theory could the process take say starting at 1200 on the Caravan, to FedEx? Also I heard Empire is getting the new Cessna Skycouriers in 2020.

Guys in my base are flying 10 to 28 hours a month in the 208. Not sure about other bases. The ATR crews are flying about 1.5 times that.

I believe the program requires a min commitment to Empire of 36 months and 500 121 pic, and Fedex wants 2500 total.

From a start of 1200 total time like you specify, figuring 25 hrs a month my math garners me 52 months, or 4.3 years at my domicile.

That of course doesn't factor in any other variables.

Provided a guy meets all the other requirements Fedex wants, one could build the time a lot faster in other ways.

I guess the variable is how much weight they are going to give Empire connection.

The Cessna twins...weren't those getting built in China and now possibly Trumped?

Ceeuh
05-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Anyone have any more info on Ohana?
Typical daily schedule?
Min day off?
Home every night?
Salary Base pay?
HA guaranteed interview program?
No union?

shoestrings1229
05-04-2018, 05:57 PM
What information are you looking for?

Hey just curious if you happen to know what's competitive right now for DECs on the ATR at Ohana.

El Pilot
05-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Going to Empire for the Caravan but curious about the ATR. How is the training and QOL on the 121 side? With the new purple runway program, is it a good idea to stick around at the feeders in hope of getting on with FedEx, or just leave for an LLC like Southwest, Jetblue, or Allegiant? I'm going the feeder route in hope of bypassing a regional to a larger aircraft like a B737 or A320.

Redbeard
05-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Anyone have any more info on Ohana?
Typical daily schedule?
Min day off?
Home every night?
Salary Base pay?
HA guaranteed interview program?
No union?

Yeah, Ohana is great if you want QOL over flight time.
Daily schedule- you either work AM or PM half a day. that might slightly change once we start flying cargo, but no one knows what that schedule will look like yet.
Home every night
typically work about 18 days a month, but FOs can easily trade out of days down to 12 if you want.
Salary is listed on the website, but first year is $60K plus $12K retention bonus paid out twice a year.

There isn't much in the way of guarantee with getting to HA, but in the next year or so we will most likely be HA employees when they buy the Island Air cert. so who knows what will happen with that

Ceeuh
05-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Yeah, Ohana is great if you want QOL over flight time.
Daily schedule- you either work AM or PM half a day. that might slightly change once we start flying cargo, but no one knows what that schedule will look like yet.
Home every night
typically work about 18 days a month, but FOs can easily trade out of days down to 12 if you want.
Salary is listed on the website, but first year is $60K plus $12K retention bonus paid out twice a year.

There isn't much in the way of guarantee with getting to HA, but in the next year or so we will most likely be HA employees when they buy the Island Air cert. so who knows what will happen with that

Your a legend Redbeard. Appreciate the info! Been at a regional on the mainland for about 2 years and have been thinking about Ohana for about the same time. How you like it?

Thanks again!

Redbeard
05-13-2018, 01:25 AM
Well, I am still new with Ohana. But honestly Im loving it. I haven't slept in a hotel since training and its great. There is always going to be some headaches with any job, but going home every night, 8 hour duty days or less usually, and a really laid back pilot group make it a breeze. sure, the price of living in HI is steep, but on a good salary its not hard. the beach is free, hikes are free, buy a surfboard and then surfing is free.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can answer more questions or put in a good word

Nodakdrifter
05-20-2018, 03:44 PM
I'm from Montana and I've been working my whole carreer to get back to the NW some where, anywhere. MSO, GEG, etc... It seems the further I progess in aviation the further from my goal I get. I'm currently at an ACMI carrier with about 5000hrs 4000 of which are multi-engine turbine, but I seem to be stuck here with no turbine PIC.

I'm looking for any info regarding upgrades on the ATR (I'm not concerned with building time. I know it will be slow), vacancies near Montana, schedule, QOL and anything else you guys might find helpful.

Thanks

TimetoClimb
05-22-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm from Montana and I've been working my whole carreer to get back to the NW some where, anywhere. MSO, GEG, etc... It seems the further I progess in aviation the further from my goal I get. I'm currently at an ACMI carrier with about 5000hrs 4000 of which are multi-engine turbine, but I seem to be stuck here with no turbine PIC.

I'm looking for any info regarding upgrades on the ATR (I'm not concerned with building time. I know it will be slow), vacancies near Montana, schedule, QOL and anything else you guys might find helpful.

Thanks

Thing is they dont hire street captains without the requisite 1000 PIC so it's almost a catch 22 scenario.

Street captain aside, anyone know if they ever waive this upgrade requirement if you're in good standing at the company? otherwise I'm looking at a very long SIC timebuilding road (was told they will honor SIC time to meet the requirement but at a 2:1 conversion).

linkb
05-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanks

If you want to get back to Montana and get multi turbine PIC you may want to consider Alpine Air. They operate BE99s and 1900s in Montana, Denver, Sioux Falls and SLC. Itís 135 single pilot so if you need 121 PIC it wonít help.
In Montana the big domicile is Billings. But there is a possibility of getting MSO, BTM, or HLN. These go to people who want to live in these locations so movement can be really slow. Timing is everything.
If you have questions or would like to get contact information please feel free to pm me.

Redbeard
05-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Thing is they dont hire street captains without the requisite 1000 PIC so it's almost a catch 22 scenario.

Street captain aside, anyone know if they ever waive this upgrade requirement if you're in good standing at the company? otherwise I'm looking at a very long SIC timebuilding road (was told they will honor SIC time to meet the requirement but at a 2:1 conversion).

Correct, you would need 1000PIC to be street captain.

mins for upgrade are- 2500TT, 1000PIC, 1000MEL, 300Turbine, 500Crew.

if your an FO looking to upgrade, you get credits of 2:1 for TT and PIC time, that you fly with company. plus you get 1 hour of credit towards PIC for every landing you perform as a crew member.

blindfayth
05-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Well, I am still new with Ohana. But honestly Im loving it. I haven't slept in a hotel since training and its great. There is always going to be some headaches with any job, but going home every night, 8 hour duty days or less usually, and a really laid back pilot group make it a breeze. sure, the price of living in HI is steep, but on a good salary its not hard. the beach is free, hikes are free, buy a surfboard and then surfing is free.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can answer more questions or put in a good word

How much flight time are you getting a month on average? Trying to figure out how long it would take to make captain there.

TimetoClimb
05-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Correct, you would need 1000PIC to be street captain.

mins for upgrade are- 2500TT, 1000PIC, 1000MEL, 300Turbine, 500Crew.

if your an FO looking to upgrade, you get credits of 2:1 for TT and PIC time, that you fly with company. plus you get 1 hour of credit towards PIC for every landing you perform as a crew member.

That's more than reasonable because if legs are typically 1-1.5hrs and you perform half the landings , and you get 2:1 conversion then it's basically a 1:1 conversation right?

I.e. fly 400hrs get 200 PIC equivalent, and in those 400hrs perform say 130 landings. Therefore you'd get 330 PIC hour credits for 400hrs flight time ? This is ohana or all empire policy ?

bozobigtop
05-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Looking at the flight times of some pilots on these posts I donít know why you donít go to a regional with jets/fmsís/glass exposure. I too flew for one of the FedEx feeders years ago through the 9/11 experience as well. Many pilots left the feeders years ago to acquire jet/fms/glass experience. Unlike FedEx and UPS many Legacy/major airlines hire their regional pilots or steal each others. Just a thought from a sharp older person:)

shinyjetsyndrom
05-29-2018, 02:34 AM
🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮.

Redbeard
06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
How much flight time are you getting a month on average? Trying to figure out how long it would take to make captain there.

Its slow right now, they just hired a bunch of pilots because we are suppose to double our flying, so they needed to double the size of the pilot group. but the flying has not doubled yet, so the flying has been cut in half..like I've said, I'm still new, so i wasn't even here when there was a lot more flying to go around. but over the past 4 months I've roughly averaged 40 hours a month

Redbeard
06-04-2018, 06:20 PM
That's more than reasonable because if legs are typically 1-1.5hrs and you perform half the landings , and you get 2:1 conversion then it's basically a 1:1 conversation right?

I.e. fly 400hrs get 200 PIC equivalent, and in those 400hrs perform say 130 landings. Therefore you'd get 330 PIC hour credits for 400hrs flight time ? This is ohana or all empire policy ?

This is an Empire policy

Fordmun
06-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Its slow right now, they just hired a bunch of pilots because we are suppose to double our flying, so they needed to double the size of the pilot group. but the flying has not doubled yet, so the flying has been cut in half..like I've said, I'm still new, so i wasn't even here when there was a lot more flying to go around. but over the past 4 months I've roughly averaged 40 hours a month

Double the flying? Are you receiving new ATRs or more hawaii ATR flying?

Redbeard
06-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Double the flying? Are you receiving new ATRs or more hawaii ATR flying?

The operation started with 3 ATRs flying 2 pax lines, one spare plane. They bought a 4th ATR for pax, so that they can add another pax line, 3 total, and still have a spare. Plus they bought 3 cargo ATRs to potentially start flying 2 cargo lines, so we would be at 5 lines total.

1 of the cargo planes is not going to be here anytime soon though, so we just have 2 cargo planes and don't have all 4 pax planes yet, so we still are just doing 2 pax lines at the moment.

Cubdriver84
06-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Any current or former MSO people out there that can shed some light for me? Wondering how much flying per month, typical day, and if you fly anywhere else other than MT.

Thanks

SJSsynnotforme
06-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Not a deal breaker but was wondering if there is still a training contract for the 208 or ATR?

TeamSasquatch
06-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Any current or former MSO people out there that can shed some light for me? Wondering how much flying per month, typical day, and if you fly anywhere else other than MT.

Thanks

I don't know much about the route, looks like GTF-MSO. Doubt you'll build much time. I've seen both left and right seat jobs on JSFirm for that base. If you wanted to live in Missoula though, could be a great setup. I've visited there some and it's a great town. If you're already there, I know Alpine flys 99's and 1900's in there too. Or, GPI has a AMF and another cargo outfit too. Might build more time flying the smaller stuff.

Baja Boy
06-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Not a deal breaker but was wondering if there is still a training contract for the 208 or ATR?

No training contracts for qualified Pilots.

SJSsynnotforme
06-23-2018, 02:26 PM
No training contracts for qualified Pilots.

Great. Thanks for answering!

1800RVR
08-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Can anyone speak on QOL and what training is like specifically for street captains on the ATR in Hawaii? I have 3600 TT, 1200 121 jet SIC, 1100 PIC and am considering a change from my current RJ gig. If I applied I could go straight to captain, right? Thanks

Fleet Warp
08-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Can anyone speak on QOL and what training is like specifically for street captains on the ATR in Hawaii? I have 3600 TT, 1200 121 jet SIC, 1100 PIC and am considering a change from my current RJ gig. If I applied I could go straight to captain, right? Thanks

I know the training is actually in Idaho and Ohana only does day lines. Morning or evening shift. I know Hawaii is an incredibly expensive place to live in. It can be expensive to move to with pets or a shipping container. You probably at least want to ship your car, it's cheaper then buying one there. A cheaper house is over 600k and even a cheaper condo will cost $1000/month maintenance fees. You better learn about Hawaii culture too

Neosporin
08-23-2018, 12:21 AM

Initial/Indoc is in Coer d'Alene, sim is in HOU at Flight Safety.
About a 5-6 week footprint.
Yes DEC is correct. Typical IOE and then AM or PM and a cargo line in the 72.
AM starts around 6:00am and done by 12:30PM, PM starts approx. 1:00pm finish by 8:30pm. (approx.)
There are cheap cars here but yes less than $2500 to ship a car from the East Coast, less otherwise, ie West Coast.
6 legs a day.

1800RVR
08-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Thanks. Yeah Iím familiar with the cost of living in hawaii but with the bonuses and PIC salary I still think itíd be a step up in pay overall from my right seat RJ gig.

Whatís the monthly schedule like? I.e How many days on/off? And is there much time on reserve?

Chris99
08-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Thanks. Yeah Iím familiar with the cost of living in hawaii but with the bonuses and PIC salary I still think itíd be a step up in pay overall from my right seat RJ gig.

Whatís the monthly schedule like? I.e How many days on/off? And is there much time on reserve?

PICs tend to work more currently because Ohana can't hold on to them. I'd say 18-21 days a month of work give or take a day. FOs have a little more flexibility because there are more of them and some want more flying and some want less. I'd say 12-19 days off work per month depending what you're goals are. This could change at any time due to staffing.

You have to work twelve days a month to get the bonus. You aren't eligible for any bonuses until you pass IOE, so don't count on any of that money for a few months after you start Indoc. Also, you will be working for 75% base pay until you pass sim training. Empire pays for the hotel and rental car at training. Also very important to note is that vacation and PTO days don't count towards the twelve days required for the monthly bonus. They also tend to schedule a full work-month for captains who take vacation. These two practices are shady. The $1000/mo bonus is paid out twice per year in January and July. Taxes are withheld at about 25-30% for the bonus payments. So if you finish IOE in mid-January for example, you will get about $3500 out of the $5000 "moving expense" bonus. You will be getting paid at the base salary until you get your first bonus payout sometime in July again for about $3500 (because you didn't qualify for the bonus in January as IOE days worked don't count towards the bonus). Your next bonus (and first full bonus payment if you worked at least twelve days per month) won't be until the next January. So you have the potential of going an entire year working with only $7000 of bonus money in your pocket. They don't tell you this when you sign up and it is important information if you are taking on the expense of moving to Hawaii.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Chris99
08-29-2018, 05:49 PM
Correction: it's a "sign on" bonus, not a "moving expense" bonus.

Marinth
09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Initial/Indoc is in Coer d'Alene, sim is in HOU at Flight Safety.
About a 5-6 week footprint.
Yes DEC is correct. Typical IOE and then AM or PM and a cargo line in the 72.
AM starts around 6:00am and done by 12:30PM, PM starts approx. 1:00pm finish by 8:30pm. (approx.)
There are cheap cars here but yes less than $2500 to ship a car from the East Coast, less otherwise, ie West Coast.
6 legs a day.

Any idea what the cargo lines are going to look like, and how many you will see in a month? Do you bid your schedule at all, it is it assigned to you?

Chris99
09-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Do you bid your schedule at all, it is it assigned to you?

You give your preferences and then a schedule is assigned. We haven't bid for a line pretty much all year because you have to have a special qualification to fly into JHM and not everybody is qualified...

HossCo
09-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Any idea what PIC hiring looks like? Iíve heard window hiring and Iíve heard continuous hiring for PIC. Just wanted to get a real deal confirmation. Thanks!

Redbeard
10-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Any idea what PIC hiring looks like? Iíve heard window hiring and Iíve heard continuous hiring for PIC. Just wanted to get a real deal confirmation. Thanks!

You looking for Ohana or Fedex side?

HossCo
11-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Sorry I was talking about Ohana. Seems they can't hold onto PIC and just wanted to know if they hire PIC in windows or at will.

Av8tr1
11-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Sorry I was talking about Ohana. Seems they can't hold onto PIC and just wanted to know if they hire PIC in windows or at will.

Nope we are hiring as fast as we can becuase we canít keep em. Word is we had a class of one recently.

Baja Boy
11-12-2018, 07:16 AM

They have scheduled class dates that they look to fill. Hiring has been slow due to being at/over budgeted staffing numbers.

squawk 762
11-13-2018, 05:58 PM
How often are there openings in GEG for the ATR captain positions? Iím looking to get out of he desert and Coeur d'Alene is top on my list of relocation spots.

Baja Boy
11-14-2018, 07:10 AM
How often are there openings in GEG for the ATR captain positions? Iím looking to get out of he desert and Coeur d'Alene is top on my list of relocation spots.

GEG does not see a lot of openings, maybe 1-2 a year. There is a Home Base option.

JungleJetDriver
11-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Does the floater capt. get airlined home every weekend? How much is the regional incentive pay and extra work adders? And do you take home most of your per deim?

Baja Boy
11-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Does the floater capt. get airlined home every weekend? How much is the regional incentive pay and extra work adders? And do you take home most of your per deim?

The floater does not get airlined home every week, it is a 2-week commitment (they can jump seat home on their own).

Regional incentives are an additional $50 to $125 per week, depending on location.

Extra work adders also vary (working over 17 days a month, working 6 days, TDY, etc).

hubbs
11-14-2018, 02:02 PM
The floater does not get airlined home every week, it is a 2-week commitment (they can jump seat home on their own).

Regional incentives are an additional $50 to $125 per week, depending on location.

Extra work adders also vary (working over 17 days a month, working 6 days, TDY, etc).

Can a homebased guy transfer to a base? Any idea if/when AFW will open up again?

Baja Boy
11-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Can a homebased guy transfer to a base? Any idea if/when AFW will open up again?

Yes, you could bid for a direct base at any time. I believe that we have an open AFW spot or (if not) we just filled it.

JungleJetDriver
11-14-2018, 05:00 PM

Thanks Baja.

aviatrix28
12-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Can anyone share what itís like at SBA? How much flying time in a month and what the schedule looks like?

Iím interested in ĎOhana, but Iím not sure when there will be an opening for FOs and am considering starting at SBA and moving to ĎOhana later.

Follow up question: will the credits of 2:1 for TT and PIC time flown at SBA apply to ĎOhana for upgrading?

Thanks.

Akutan Bandit
12-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Was recently offered DEC ATR based position, which I ultimately did not accept. Thought I'd add my experience here to supplement what has been said.

My application was for a fixed-base position, but upon further negotiations it was clear that Empire wanted the option to float me when convenient for them. Although not opposed, I wanted some sort of guarantee that it wouldn't happen often, but they pushed back on any specific language regarding my floating and, if floated, any compensatory time-off. In the course of trying to work this out, I suggested I re-apply for a formal floater position which would clarify how I would be used. The company balked at that since they now knew I lived in base. Ultimately I felt the unknowns were too great, and I pulled my application.

A take-away, at least for me is that they would like the flexibility of floating people, but don't want too many full-time float pilots on the payroll. I understand bases like KTUL are horribly understaffed, but since applying for a PIC at my home would have fully staffed us here, I didn't want to get shipped off repeatedly to another town. Their unwillingness to clarify how you will get used is an impediment to recruitment if my experience is any indication. Frustrating is the word I would use to summarize the entire rodeo. To answer an earlier question regarding transfers, I know it is done on the FedEx side, but don't know how a lateral to Ohana would work.

Feedervan
12-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Plan for about 25 hrs a month in SBA. Its a Monday evening through Saturday morning run flying to ONT. Hour credits should transfer between ohana and FedEx. If you are junior in a well staffed base you will be traveling a lot.

Marinth
12-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Any guesses on when Ohana will be hiring FOs again?

AviatorBakeek
12-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Lots of surprises in training within the first month. I decided it wasn't worth sticking around to be surprised any more.

Marinth
12-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Lots of surprises in training within the first month. I decided it wasn't worth sticking around to be surprised any more.

Can you elaborate at all?

Aviatour
12-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Iíd like to know as well. I just checked their website and it looks like they just stopped hiring captains too.

Is this for the Ohana side or Empire?

Baja Boy
12-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Iíd like to know as well. I just checked their website and it looks like they just stopped hiring captains too.

I believe that they are thinking about an Ohana class in February or March.

Aviatour
12-21-2018, 06:01 AM
I believe that they are thinking about an Ohana class in February or March.

Nice. Do they have a pool for this or will they accept apps next year?

MachinistMate
12-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know which Empire domicile has the most potential for greatest amount of flight time? Hoping to reach R-ATP mins by late summer/early fall.

smc2020
01-03-2019, 06:38 AM
Any idea regarding the runs out of either SBA or MAF?

Bluesville
01-03-2019, 12:25 PM
The SBA trip is run is one, round-trip a day. Overnight in ONT, about a 45min flight eachway. Leave early around 0600-0700, you hangout ALL day in SBA and bring the ATR back to ONT at the end of the business day.
The run could have changed over the years, Empire could now be offering pilots a Hotel in both SBA and ONT nowadays but thatís the basic rundown of the SBA run. Monday through Saturday with the plane staying in SBA over the short weekend.

smc2020
01-05-2019, 10:24 AM
The SBA trip is run is one, round-trip a day. Overnight in ONT, about a 45min flight eachway. Leave early around 0600-0700, you hangout ALL day in SBA and bring the ATR back to ONT at the end of the business day.
The run could have changed over the years, Empire could now be offering pilots a Hotel in both SBA and ONT nowadays but thatís the basic rundown of the SBA run. Monday through Saturday with the plane staying in SBA over the short weekend.

So the pilot would live in ONT or SBA?

Bluesville
01-06-2019, 11:50 AM
You would think, but at the time some peeps were commuting from various places on Monday to SBA to start the run on Monday evening only to stay in the hotel/overnight in ONT work the flight to SBA the next day in the morning and simply hang out all day in SBA until came time to go back to ONT. When Sat morning rolled around after they worked the last flight of the week to SBA then they would commute home. So if you lived there it would be a Cush Job but you don’t have to. But remember this was 8-9yrs ago when they only offered a hotel at one of the cites, things may have changed since then.

Suthernair
01-08-2019, 02:53 AM
Any updates on hiring for Ohana?

Baja Boy
01-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Any updates on hiring for Ohana?

There is a class scheduled for the first of March... assuming the Government shutdown does not effect too much.

Marinth
01-08-2019, 04:45 PM
There is a class scheduled for the first of March... assuming the Government shutdown does not effect too much.

Any idea how many in the class? Is it for Captain's only, or fo's as well?

Redbeard
01-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Does anyone know which Empire domicile has the most potential for greatest amount of flight time? Hoping to reach R-ATP mins by late summer/early fall.

Basically none of the flying at Empire is for time building. Im not completely sure regarding every base, but I don't think anyone gets more than 30-ish hours a month and I think most do less than that. Someone on the Fedex side can correct me if I'm wrong, Im on the Ohana side..

Baja Boy
01-09-2019, 07:31 AM
Any idea how many in the class? Is it for Captain's only, or fo's as well?

Not sure on class size, we hire either CPT's or FO's.

smc2020
01-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Is the ATPw or actual ATP required for the 135 side?

Baja Boy
01-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Is the ATPw or actual ATP required for the 135 side?

An ATP is not required for the Part 135 side of the operation.

Flygirl1977
01-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know when OHANA might be hiring for First Officers? I heard there has been some movement lately but haven't seen any posting recently.

ViperGuy69
01-25-2019, 05:40 AM
Anyone know much about the schedule for KTUL-based ATR FOís? I live in OK so the commute would only be a 2-hr drive. Do they have pilots on reserve?

Thanks,

Baja Boy
01-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Does anyone know when OHANA might be hiring for First Officers? I heard there has been some movement lately but haven't seen any posting recently.

They are looking at applications right now, there is a class at the beginning of March.

Baja Boy
01-25-2019, 07:01 AM
Anyone know much about the schedule for KTUL-based ATR FOís? I live in OK so the commute would only be a 2-hr drive. Do they have pilots on reserve?

Thanks,

TUL is a back side of the clock schedule. Leave TUL around 1900 and fly to AFW, spend 2-3 hrs at the AFW base and return to TUL.

ViperGuy69
01-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

First year FO pay?
Days per month?
Reserves/Line?

Av8tr1
01-25-2019, 10:14 AM
TUL is a back side of the clock schedule. Leave TUL around 1900 and fly to AFW, spend 2-3 hrs at the AFW base and return to TUL.

Heard you were going to jump over to the ATR.

Rmacphx
02-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Retired PHX guy looking for a local job, thinking about Empire. Any PHX based guys out there that can give me a heads up on the routes and work schedules?

Baja Boy
02-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Retired PHX guy looking for a local job, thinking about Empire. Any PHX based guys out there that can give me a heads up on the routes and work schedules?

PHX can be Lake Havasu, Flagstaff, or Yuma. Depart around 0700 and return around 1800. Depending on the trip it is around 50-75 min block time.

Bluesville
02-20-2019, 03:05 PM
And they usually run Mon-Sat also youíre Home every night.

Rmacphx
03-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, and that's 5 days a week?
Just received a email for a phone interview, are you phx based? How do you like it?

Rmacphx
03-06-2019, 09:55 AM
thanks guys

Marinth
03-24-2019, 11:22 PM
Ok a couple more questions about Empire. Are they using ipads/jepps? How do the cargo lines work with ohana, and how many are you guys doing a month? Are you able to preference away from the night shifts?

Rangi
03-31-2019, 10:50 AM
. Are they using ipads/jepps?

121 side, yes. 135 side is full bore paper, although we do have email.

How do the cargo lines work with ohana, and how many are you guys doing a month?

Cargo lines are run on the Empire side. 2 flights per evening, M-F.

Are you able to preference away from the night shifts?

Nope.

Neosporin
04-01-2019, 12:53 AM
121 side, yes. 135 side is full bore paper, although we do have email.

Cargo lines are run on the Empire side. 2 flights per evening, M-F.

Nope.

non of this is correct for the Ohana flying which he asked about.

1. Jepps only, just the Hawaiian subscription

2. there are 5-6 crews per cargo bid and it goes by seniority and there are two lines of flying, one goes to Lihue and the other goes to Hilo.
They fly maybe 4-5 trips per month and have multiple reserve windows that they are responsible for, some airport reserve and some short call.

3.yes you can bid cargo or pax flying. cargo goes senior. we have two freighters. one on the way.

Turbine driver
04-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Feeder ops are Mon-Sat. Long days. Usually leave the house at 5am, wait on late planes, watch loading, fly out sit, evening flight back, then home around 8pm. just enough time to eat late dinner and go to bed and do it again. Quick turnover for new hires. Not the place it used to be

135 pay scale top end number was extended out from 10 years to 20 years over time.

quix
04-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Can anyone speak to life on the Ohana side....

Crews generally happy? What are the biggest complaints? Lots of guys going to HAL?

Chris99
04-18-2019, 12:14 PM
Can anyone speak to life on the Ohana side....

Crews generally happy? What are the biggest complaints? Lots of guys going to HAL?

Ohana is a stepping stone to better things. Pretty much everyone here has an application out somewhere. This past year we've had people leave for United, HAL, Horizon, SkyWest, Atlas, Sun Country, and some cargo operation I forget the name of. It is what you make of it. I wouldn't come here if you are trying to build time though. We make very short flights to the other islands and get scheduled one to twelve flying days (six legs per day on the passenger side--less for cargo) per month depending on manning. The company has a bit of an issue with manning because people keep leaving. They are trying to nail down a flow with HAL, but it is taking longer than they thought to hash out the details. The rumors I've heard are that you will have had to have been a captain here for so many flight hours to flow through. This could take years. The average annual flight hours here are 250-300. Since there is no union, this means the company owns you. Last month, the FO lines were 20-22 days. This month they were 18-19. You are here to move the metal, that's it. When you are not flying, you are on reserve. They give you a $5,000 bonus after you successfully complete IOE. They also give you a $1,000 retention bonus per month, but it is paid out biannually at the end of January and July. If you don't work the full six-month period (i.e., you leave for greener pastures), then you forfeit all the bonus months you already worked during that period. After taxes, the $12,000 worth of retention bonuses come out to around $7,000. Hawaii is a heavily taxed state. I thought I would get some of that money back at the end of the year, but I actually owed money. Also, PTO/vacation doesn't count towards the retention bonus requirement of twelve working days per month, so it becomes worthless to an extent. The company asks that you take vacation in one week periods, so if you are scheduled to work eighteen days one month and take seven days of vacation, you won't get the retention bonus that month unless you pick up more flying. It is a salaried job, so the company has scheduled pilots/FAs to work up to eighteen days in a month ON TOP of their week of vacation, which is completely wrong in my opinion. Also, if you finish IOE in the middle of a month, you won't get the retention bonus that month because IOE days don't count towards the required twelve work days. Also, there are no EFBs, we spin a whiz wheel for weight and balance, we have four different GPS boxes (in only seven airplanes), and the company manuals are the worst I've ever seen (typos, grammatical mistakes, contradictory information, whole paragraphs missing in revisions, etc.). All that being said, I've enjoyed my time at Ohana. We've had over ten pilots get interviews with HAL this application window. At least four of those people are already swimming in the hiring pool waiting for a class date.

GoodVibeRidez
04-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Appreciate the Info Chris. I know it would be difficult, but did anyone commute from the other islands? Such as the BI or Kauai?

And anyone know what ever happened to the rumor of Ohana being brought in house after HA bought out Island Airs cert.?

Chris99
04-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Appreciate the Info Chris. I know it would be difficult, but did anyone commute from the other islands? Such as the BI or Kauai?

And anyone know what ever happened to the rumor of Ohana being brought in house after HA bought out Island Airs cert.?

Yes, people commute from the Big Island. One guy even commutes from LA! HAL passed on taking over for Empire for whatever reason. The pilots, of course, were disappointed...

Baja Boy
04-19-2019, 02:42 PM

I believe that HA was unable to buy the Island Air Cert.

GoodVibeRidez
04-19-2019, 03:24 PM
From LA huh? That's rough. Job must not be too bad eh! Bummer for the Empire guys, thought that it would work out for them. Thank again Chris!

GoodVibeRidez
08-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Anyone have any info about this "Flow through" program with HA?

Chris99
08-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Anyone have any info about this "Flow through" program with HA?It's not a true flow in the technical sense (i.e., getting a Hawaiian seniority number when hired on at 'Ohana). It's more of a "preferential hiring" program that you have to apply for and may not be accepted into: "pilots interviewing for a position at ĎOhana by Hawaiian will have the opportunity to also APPLY to Hawaiianís Flow-Through hiring program. Candidates ACCEPTED to the program..." If you have the experience and the hours, you'd be better off foregoing the flow and applying to Hawaiian on your own (once accepted into the flow program, you can't apply to Hawaiian on your own).

Neosporin
08-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Anyone have any info about this "Flow through" program with HA?

I would say it is similar to Commutair and the CPP.
Get hired at Commutair, then take the Hogan, then interview at UA while employed at Commutair, get accepted, and then keep your nose clean and flow in.

GoodVibeRidez
08-08-2019, 04:47 PM
It's not a true flow in the technical sense (i.e., getting a Hawaiian seniority number when hired on at 'Ohana). It's more of a "preferential hiring" program that you have to apply for and may not be accepted into: "pilots interviewing for a position at ĎOhana by Hawaiian will have the opportunity to also APPLY to Hawaiianís Flow-Through hiring program. Candidates ACCEPTED to the program..." If you have the experience and the hours, you'd be better off foregoing the flow and applying to Hawaiian on your own (once accepted into the flow program, you can't apply to Hawaiian on your own).

Gotcha, so a way for HA to get pilots and keep them at Ohana for some time. Got some mainland 121 time, with some TPIC. Was thinking about ththe move to direct captain.

Hows the training outline look for Ohana? Pretty smooth process? Success rate? Sim locations?

Chris99
08-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Hows the training outline look for Ohana? Pretty smooth process? Success rate? Sim locations?

Two weeks of Indoc in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho; four weeks of simulator training at Flight Safety Houston; and three to four weeks of IOE at HNL. Recently the success rate has been decent. A little over two years ago it was rumored to be dismal...

GoodVibeRidez
08-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Two weeks of Indoc in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho; four weeks of simulator training at Flight Safety Houston; and three to four weeks of IOE at HNL. Recently the success rate has been decent. A little over two years ago it was rumored to be dismal...

I appreciate all the info! You think the success rate is due to their training program? Or maybe the pilots themselves?

You currently at Ohana yourself Chris? If you are, how is it going so far for ya? Heard the ATR is an intresting aircraft. (Mixed reviews)

Chris99
08-08-2019, 07:50 PM
I appreciate all the info! You think the success rate is due to their training program? Or maybe the pilots themselves?

You currently at Ohana yourself Chris? If you are, how is it going so far for ya? Heard the ATR is an intresting aircraft. (Mixed reviews)I left 'Ohana for Hawaiian this year. The failure rate was really bad right before they raised the pay significantly in the summer of 2017 (right before I interviewed).

GoodVibeRidez
08-08-2019, 07:59 PM
I left 'Ohana for Hawaiian this year. The failure rate was really bad right before they raised the pay significantly in the summer of 2017 (right before I interviewed).

Congrats on getting on with HA. So you spent about two years there yeah? You upgrade?

Chris99
08-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Congrats on getting on with HA. So you spent about two years there yeah? You upgrade?A year-and-a-half. No.

Motoxer66
08-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Can anyone elaborate on the SBA base? Im interested in all of the typical things like QOL, schedule routes....etc

TIA

Desiflyer
08-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Is the training on ATR done in-house?

Neosporin
08-20-2019, 12:33 AM
Is the training on ATR done in-house?

No, all done at Flight Safety in HOU, Fedex feeder side and Ohana side.

Desiflyer
08-20-2019, 08:14 AM
No, all done at Flight Safety in HOU, Fedex feeder side and Ohana side.

Neosporin

Are you at empire now?
Can I PM you?

Turbine driver
08-28-2019, 02:08 PM
SBA base is poor QOL. Work Monday-Saturday every week. Fatigue is an issue with schedule. Beware HR description of schedule. Nights spent in hotel in Ontario. Can have long lunch at home. Great location, terrible QOL. Always been unable to staff base due to poor QOL,and doesn't pay enough to live in the area. There's a reason its always available.

FYI FedEx side is late planes usually. A lot of sitting at plane waiting, long days. High turnover. Not the company it used to be unfortunately.
FYI 135 side put cameras in plane to watch pilots

Turbine driver
08-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Tulsa is backside of the clock

Turbine driver
08-30-2019, 08:40 AM
135 side now has cameras placed in the cockpit filming pilots. Footage is reviewed

rickair7777
08-30-2019, 09:03 AM
135 side now has cameras placed in the cockpit filming pilots. Footage is reviewed

Interesting, what exactly are they watching for? Sleeping? Screen time?

flynfish77
09-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Current regional CRJ Captain...would like some relevant info on the FedEx feeder ops in the PNW, FedEx is the ultimate goal.

Street CA and easy commute to work (live in GEG) with similar pay ($90/hr.) would pique my interest.

Is the purple runway even a legit program that actually gets guys in at FedEx or more of a ploy to keep guys at the feeder?

Also never flown freight, but I like the mission, a lot. Recently attended the FedEx pilot expo in Pensacola and could not be more impressed (yes I realize this is not FedEx Express).

Thanks in advance for any useful info...

Bruno82
09-05-2019, 07:10 PM
How likely would it be to get hired for the TUL base? Iím currently a regional CA and have ATR experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PittsFlyer
09-05-2019, 08:37 PM
You could easily hold TUL as a Captain or FO right now.

Bruno82
09-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Thanks. What do the schedules look like out of TUL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardboardCutout
09-07-2019, 01:06 PM
The books of the ancients tell of The One who desires to live in Tulsa. Yay, so it was written. We have found him! Hallelujah! Hossanah!

hoover
09-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Current regional CRJ Captain...would like some relevant info on the FedEx feeder ops in the PNW, FedEx is the ultimate goal.

Street CA and easy commute to work (live in GEG) with similar pay ($90/hr.) would pique my interest.

Is the purple runway even a legit program that actually gets guys in at FedEx or more of a ploy to keep guys at the feeder?

Also never flown freight, but I like the mission, a lot. Recently attended the FedEx pilot expo in Pensacola and could not be more impressed (yes I realize this is not FedEx Express).

Thanks in advance for any useful info...

Stay at your regional and keep applying to FedEx. The flow program is not really a flow and would take forever to get an interview. Plus you'll not make the same money and probably won't be in geg.

Superx
09-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Stay at your regional and keep applying to FedEx. The flow program is not really a flow and would take forever to get an interview. Plus you'll not make the same money and probably won't be in geg.

There is no flow agreement on the Ohana side , it's just an guaranteed interview with a lot of stipulations, you'd be better applying on your own. Empire is not a place you would want to come.