Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Training Schedule

CAsFiled
02-21-2018, 06:34 AM
I'm considering traveling home for a weekend (or two) during indoc/systems, how late does indoc and systems training normally go to on a Friday, and what time does class start on Mondays?

DarkSideMoon
02-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Starts at 8, ends at 5.

CAsFiled
02-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Starts at 8, ends at 5.

Thanks. I read somewhere else in this forum that there is a test/quiz at the end of each week. If correct, does that affect the ending time on those days?

DarkSideMoon
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Thanks. I read somewhere else in this forum that there is a test/quiz at the end of each week. If correct, does that affect the ending time on those days?

Just depends. Count on 8-5. I don't think we left later than that.

CAsFiled
02-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Just depends. Count on 8-5. I don't think we left later than that.

Got it. Was hoping for an earlier ending time on Fridays but will work with whatever it ends up being. Thanks again.

DarkSideMoon
02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Got it. Was hoping for an earlier ending time on Fridays but will work with whatever it ends up being. Thanks again.

I'll put it this way- I went home to Chicago several weekends and I didn't have much of a problem. Just keep in mind unless you're really sharp it can be a distraction. Training is intense and there is a lot of self study. I probably shouldn't have gone home as many times as I did.

Day4mx
02-21-2018, 05:36 PM
I'll put it this way- I went home to Chicago several weekends and I didn't have much of a problem. Just keep in mind unless you're really sharp it can be a distraction. Training is intense and there is a lot of self study. I probably shouldn't have gone home as many times as I did.

I went home every weekend. Study your butt off during the week. Dont think about anything airplane related on Sat and sun. Overload can be a problem.

DarkSideMoon
02-21-2018, 07:20 PM
I went home every weekend. Study your butt off during the week. Dont think about anything airplane related on Sat and sun. Overload can be a problem.

I'll agree with that to an extent. I'm not saying never go home but if you're one foot in Appleton and the other somewhere 5 hours away it could adversely affect you.

stroopwaffle
02-22-2018, 02:48 AM
I would say it comes down to how many flight options you have. I donít think the commuter clause applies to new hires.

CAsFiled
02-22-2018, 02:57 AM
I would say it comes down to how many flight options you have. I donít think the commuter clause applies to new hires.

What about either a 5 hour drive or 1.5 hr rental plane flight (each way)? I was considering doing it once or twice over the duration and with the remaining weekends staying put.

Roverruckus
02-22-2018, 09:05 AM
There was guy in my class that drove 8 hours one way every weekend back home.

CAsFiled
02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
There was guy in my class that drove 8 hours one way every weekend back home.

You almost lose the benefit of going home with that travel. Did he make it all the way through (the training)?

Roverruckus
02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Yeah but he was already typed, pretty crazy though.

ChrisInWI
02-22-2018, 01:02 PM
What about either a 5 hour drive or 1.5 hr rental plane flight (each way)? I was considering doing it once or twice over the duration and with the remaining weekends staying put.

I went home at the end of both weeks of Indoc (2.5 hr drive), stayed in Appleton during the middle weekend of systems. Although I was conveniently aligned to make it work without having to worry about flights etc. it didn't fit well with the Systems syllabus for me. As mentioned, Indoc had a test each Friday with time to prepare during both academic weeks. For systems it's a little faster and more furious with daily quizzes and culminates in a 'final exam'. The syllabus is also built more to prepare you for the next step (CPT/Sims) during the 1st week (of systems) with exposure to 'flows', profiles, memory items, and limitations which we were told are the threshold requirements to get past the next phase of training.

My class found value in some group study around those profiles and flows over the weekend which also bolstered the systems knowledge going into the last week of Appleton training. Now, I will caveat this as the path I chose and what worked for me. I would anticipate the company won't have much patience if you're not prepared for each day of training. I'm certain it can be done (home every weekend), but that would come down to the individual's capability to manage the variables.

That's my $.02 as a guy that just finished systems last week.

CAsFiled
02-22-2018, 01:06 PM
I went home at the end of both weeks of Indoc (2.5 hr drive), stayed in Appleton during the middle weekend of systems. Although I was conveniently aligned to make it work without having to worry about flights etc. it didn't fit well with the Systems syllabus for me. As mentioned, Indoc had a test each Friday with time to prepare during both academic weeks. For systems it's a little faster and more furious with daily quizzes and culminates in a 'final exam'. The syllabus is also built more to prepare you for the next step (CPT/Sims) during the 1st week (of systems) with exposure to 'flows', profiles, memory items, and limitations which we were told are the threshold requirements to get past the next phase of training.

My class found value in some group study around those profiles and flows over the weekend which also bolstered the systems knowledge going into the last week of Appleton training. Now, I will caveat this as the path I chose and what worked for me. I would anticipate the company won't have much patience if you're not prepared for each day of training. I'm certain it can be done (home every weekend), but that would come down to the individual's capability to manage the variables.

That's my $.02 as a guy that just finished systems last week.

If I do go home, it would be during the indoc weekends. When on Fridays (what time) did they give the tests and were you then released for the weekend once finished?

ChrisInWI
02-22-2018, 01:20 PM
If I do go home, it would be during the indoc weekends. When on Fridays (what time) did they give the tests and were you then released for the weekend once finished?

My Indoc class only had 6 people in it...5 smart guys and myself. That being said, we were able to get to each Friday test a little earlier than the bigger classes but our instructor also would add in some additional stuff to fill the time after the test and prepare you for the next step. For expectation management I wouldn't plan for class to be out much before 1600 on Fridays unless you guys can talk the group into a shorter lunch period. During Systems we were there every minute between 0800 and 1700 each day.

Sounds a bit tough but it's good training.

PM me if you have more questions

CAsFiled
02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
My Indoc class only had 6 people in it...5 smart guys and myself. That being said, we were able to get to each Friday test a little earlier than the bigger classes but our instructor also would add in some additional stuff to fill the time after the test and prepare you for the next step. For expectation management I wouldn't plan for class to be out much before 1600 on Fridays unless you guys can talk the group into a shorter lunch period. During Systems we were there every minute between 0800 and 1700 each day.

Sounds a bit tough but it's good training.

PM me if you have more questions

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Aviatress
02-26-2018, 03:54 PM

Week 1 of Basic Indoc, plan on finishing at 5. Week two ended after our exam, around lunch. Week 1 of Systems ended at 5 pm, and week 2 ended in Milwaukee (hands-on airplane time in the hangar) about 4 pm.

CAsFiled
02-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Week 1 of Basic Indoc, plan on finishing at 5. Week two ended after our exam, around lunch. Week 1 of Systems ended at 5 pm, and week 2 ended in Milwaukee (hands-on airplane time in the hangar) about 4 pm.

Thank you. When was your training?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1