Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : MSP CRJ/Health Insurance

Mmitc609
02-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Hi all, just wondering about two topics:

1. What is the CRJ flying like out of MSP? I'm looking to fly (not just credit) a bunch to build hours, and not sure what the FO flying looks like (200/900). Is it mostly 200 short hops, or can you get decent 900 runs to Canada/west coast?

2. What is the health insurance plan like? Also looking at Air Wis and Endeavor. Both offer better pay (either hourly and/or bonus). Air Wis, specifically, seems to have great insurance for a regional. Single with no kids, so just curious what the cost might be. Thoughts and experiences? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Check Complete
02-22-2018, 03:05 AM
Not sure about MSP flying stats but our insurance is about as bad as it gets. Especially if you ever visit the ER. I had an ER visit a year ago and I paid just short of $7400 out of pocket, which was almost the whole bill.

SkyWest is self insured, so it’s cut back terribly.

A friend of mine, an FO, had his first born just before Christmas last year. The child had some complications and net effect he’s on heavy payment plan with the hospital. Because of his student loans he declared bankruptcy and is moving his family back into an apartment after losing his house.

If you have a possibility with Endeavor or Whiskey, you would be a fool to come here.

zondaracer
02-22-2018, 04:14 AM
Hmm... I took my son to the ER and it was about $600 out of pocket, which I paid with the HSA. My wife gave birth and I was out of pocket $1200. The health insurance is not the best in the world, but it definitely hasnít put me anywhere close to bankrupt, but I could see that if you have a high amount of debt and your child has complications, you could quickly meet the max out of pocket and struggle financially (like check completeís friend), especially on first year pay.

Here are some numbers for a single person getting the CDHP Basic plan:
Monthly premiums: $117
HSA contribution from company: $600
Deductible: $1350
Max out of pocket: $3200
Co insurance: 20% after deductible
Preventative care: 100% covered

MSP flying goes to Canada a fair amount, mostly Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Thereís some Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver. Apart from Vancouver, thereís basically no west coast flying. Itís mostly Midwest and east coast. You fly through Detroit and Atlanta a lot as well. The 900 trips typically have longer legs. MSP flying is all Delta flying. Some trips (especially on the 7/900) will get out to Montana and Washington state, but not to the coast. Itís pretty much this route map without the SLC/SEA/LAX flying:
http://www.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/RouteMaps/DeltaRoutesFEB18.pdf

I have flown through SLC on a MSP trip before, but only once. If you want to fly to the west coast, your best bet is to pick up trips in other domiciles.

N1234
02-22-2018, 04:29 AM
Hmm... I took my son to the ER and it was about $600 out of pocket, which I paid with the HSA. My wife gave birth and I was out of pocket $1200. The health insurance is not the best in the world, but it definitely hasnít put me anywhere close to bankrupt, but I could see that if you have a high amount of debt and your child has complications, you could quickly meet the max out of pocket and struggle financially (like check completeís friend), especially on first year pay.

MSP flying goes to Canada a fair amount, mostly Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Thereís some Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver. Apart from Vancouver, thereís basically no west coast flying. Itís mostly Midwest and east coast. You fly through Detroit and Atlanta a lot as well. The 900 trips typically have longer legs. MSP flying is all Delta flying. Some trips (especially on the 7/900) will get out to Montana and Washington state, but not to the coast. Itís pretty much this route map without the SLC/SEA/LAX flying:

I have flown through SLC on a MSP trip before, but only once. If you want to fly to the west coast, your best bet is to pick up trips in other domiciles.

Agreed on health insurance.

It is a standard insurance comparable what you would get elsewhere in corporate America. Nothing to rave about but also not a negative outlier at all.

rickair7777
02-22-2018, 06:38 AM

Once you hit max out of pocket, aren't you done paying for that year, unless you hit whatever upper cap there is?

word302
02-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Agreed on health insurance.

It is a standard insurance comparable what you would get elsewhere in corporate America. Nothing to rave about but also not a negative outlier at all.

Thatís a bit of a stretch. We dropped the insurance from SkyWest because the offering from my wifeís work was exponentially better.

N1234
02-22-2018, 07:50 AM
That’s a bit of a stretch. We dropped the insurance from SkyWest because the offering from my wife’s work was exponentially better.

Some additional context may be in order. What does your wife do? Is she a teacher or somehow associated with public sector?

There are some hold outs that have superior health insurance - also big tech companies tend to do well in that category but I would consider that lucky exceptions.

WesternSkies
02-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Our out of pocket dropped in the past few years, 3-6 grand is manageable.
Or rather more manageable then the 10k it was for families.

Rickair I think the other ďmaxĒ is the max out of pocket unless youíve hit your lifetime max benefit. I think I remember that correctly.

Look at your W2 line DD. The problem is American healthcare cost not the lack of company putting money towards it.
Divide line DD by you your Gross earnings.
Then think about how many of us used the healthcare system zero times in 2017.

Check Complete
02-22-2018, 11:00 AM
That was kind of the issue of the guy I mentioned that went bankrupt. His wife was one claim and his child was another just before the end of the year. On Jan 1 the child was still in the hospital and the clock started all over with his out of pocket costs. So it was basically 2 different claims over 2 different years even though they were only in the hospital a total of 9 days.

Iíve heard some of the hospitals will sometimes make a deal with some of the people on our plan for a one time reduced cost fee if payed up front by the person themselves. The hospitals hate dealing with SkyWest United Healthcare.

word302
02-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Some additional context may be in order. What does your wife do? Is she a teacher or somehow associated with public sector?

There are some hold outs that have superior health insurance - also big tech companies tend to do well in that category but I would consider that lucky exceptions.

Nope. Private sector, not tech. I have talked to many people from different backgrounds with much better insurance than what SkyWest offers.

Paid2fly
02-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Nope. Private sector, not tech. I have talked to many people from different backgrounds with much better insurance than what SkyWest offers.

Yup, one of my kids needed to go to the ER and had to pay the entire $4000 out of pocket.

WesternSkies
02-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Yup, one of my kids needed to go to the ER and had to pay the entire $4000 out of pocket.

A good cautionary tale for the rest of us to keep the HSA funded to Max Out Of Pocket as a minimum.

trip
02-24-2018, 01:01 PM

HSA or PPO plan?

Paid2fly
02-25-2018, 10:45 PM
HSA or PPO plan?

CDHP, not PPO.

Skyhawk121
02-27-2018, 12:31 PM
SkyWest has both a CDHP and a PPO. Just depends on if you want to pay the cash for the PPO.

Mmitc609
03-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can post an example of a typical line holder schedule out of MSP, and is it still possible to get right out of training?

Bravix
03-29-2018, 10:43 PM
Compared with my father's insurance through his company, his is wayyyyy better. Large landscaping company.

Utah
03-30-2018, 08:00 AM
The annual premium for a family on the PPO is $6455, or $268 a pay period. $1000 deductible and $6000 annual max out of pocket.

The cheapest CDHP would run a family just under $2400 a year or about a $100 a paycheck. Deductibles of $5000 and max out of pocket $6850. The company also puts it $300 a quarter to your HSA.

Premiums are obviously cheaper on the CDHP. In order for you not to get screwed though a healthy amount of money needs to be put into the HSA every check. If you don't build it up to a minimum of several thousand you are going to wind up hurting when the bills come due. Take that $4000 in savings from paying the lower premium and put it into the HSA.

The benefit of the HSA is that you can use it for other stuff such as dental work, glasses, FAA medical, etc.

I've been on the CDHP for about a decade now. I've saved a considerable amount of money compared to the PPO. And that's with five in the family and a wife that likes to take the kids to the doctor. It's a gamble though. An emergency room stay over New Years will hand you a bill for $14,000. It won't be cheap though on the PPO either.

Check Complete
03-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Both plans have a lifetime 250K lifetime coverage limit. A good company friend has a daughter that had a near death accident in South America and he’s on the hook for over 100K wth medevacs and out of country expenses. And nothing in the future for her is covered, she’s 19.

SkyWest self insured is not so great, especially if you have kids!

Utah
03-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Your data on the plans may be a little outdated with Obamacare. Children can stay on the plan now until age 26 and there's no $$ limit on lifetime pay out.

amcnd
04-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Both plans have a lifetime 250K lifetime coverage limit. A good company friend has a daughter that had a near death accident in South America and heís on the hook for over 100K wth medevacs and out of country expenses. And nothing in the future for her is covered, sheís 19.

SkyWest self insured is not so great, especially if you have kids!

My daughter is going out of the country for 6 months. Im getting her traveling insurance.. ($600). You need to plan ahead. I hope insurance splits off from the other groups like the 401k has. We need to match endevor pay, get some QOL issues, and better healthcare.. or the 80+ people leaving a month will continue.

trip
04-02-2018, 04:46 PM
We need to match endevor pay, get some QOL issues, and better healthcare.. or the 80+ people leaving a month will continue

Exactly, 80+ is not a sustainable plan.

Geardownflaps30
04-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Your data on the plans may be a little outdated with Obamacare. Children can stay on the plan now until age 26 and there's no $$ limit on lifetime pay out.

This is correct. Someone else is passing along bad info.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1